Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Events

Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Date: 35 of Saun, 721
Cyrus, Kisaik, Tei'serin, Nathan

The sky above was overcast, though not from natural clouds. The peak of the volcano was billowing thick black clouds of smoke into the sky, darkening the area around it. Thus, when the four people who had been called to the Heart of the World found themselves standing near the entrance to a cave, they might rightfully expect to be quite warm. However, they were instead pleasantly cool, though they might notice that they all felt just a tad damp, as if they had just toweled off after a swim.

The reason for that became clear when a tall, silver eyed man with sandy hair stepped out of the shadow of the cave. "Good, the protections held." he said, grinning slightly. "Right, we don't have much time and I can't linger or you'll be found immediately. My name is U'frek, and I've brought you here because we need your help. Faldrun, Kata, and Mastes are looking to power an ancient artifact that will give Faldrun the power to over-run his enemies. Now, as this is Faldrun's home territory, so you four have been brought on to have a bit of a sneak to try and get the artifact they're using here on the Heart of the World. The enchantment I've given you will make sure that none of you are harmed by the heat or fire here, though I don't recommend you try and go swimming in lava regardless." he said, nodding at Kisaik in particular.

"Like I said, I can't stay. If I stay, Faldrun will find me and he'll come here in person and that's the last thing any of you need." he said, his tone nervous. He was clearly not comfortable being so close to Sirothelle. "Now, be careful. There's still probably some Aukari Occult with the artifact, and you really don't want to be taking on the whole of Sirothelle military." he said, before letting out a sigh. "I wish I could stay with you, but I can't risk bringing you more trouble. My protection will hold for the rest of the Cycle, so you don't have to worry about it running out." he said, before nodding at them all. "They're gathering somewhere deep in the tunnels in the volcano. Be careful." he said, before he vanished, a slight puddle of salt water left behind where he stood.

Cad, Goku

Two men found themselves called to a cave that was lit by a small river of magma flowing through it and three tunnels branching off. Despite the magma river, they weren't even hot, just slightly warmer than normal. The woman who leaned against a wall didn't look bothered by the heat either, despite the full plate armor she wore. At their appearance, she pushed off the wall, her amber eyes focused on the pair. "Oh, there you are. I was beginnin' to wonder if he'd forgotten to call you." she said, letting out a slight laugh.

"Right, anyway, to business. I'm Valtharn, but Faldrun's the one who called you here. Now, as to why, it's because him and Kata and Mastes are tryin' to gather some power in an artifact, and we think those wimps over at the Pro-Mortal side are going to try and send some spies in to stop that. Now you too, you're here because sendin' in the whole army is goin' to make us easy to see comin'. So we want you two to find our spies and keep them from gettin' to near the lava chamber, where we're doin' our gatherin'." she said, her tone calm, though she was grinning slightly the entire time.

"Now, I'm not fussed as to how you keep them from gettin' there, but you might be able to infiltrate them. If you want to try that route, tell them Raskalarn sent you here. My grump of a mother wouldn't bother talkin' to anyone else before she sends anyone in, so they might buy it." she said, before pausing as if in thought. "Oh right, Faldrun said if you do a good job, he'll see you both richly rewarded, as an incentive." she said, nodding to herself as she remembered what she'd been told to say.

"Anyway, you've been protected from the volcano's heat, you're in the Heart of the World by the way, by Faldrun's power. So you won't catch fire and die or anythin'. It'll last until the end of the Cycle too, so that's a boost." she said, before shrugging. "And that's my part done. I could stick around, but he only paid me to give you guys a briefin', and I don't work for free. So...yeah, bye." Valtharn said, vanishing without another word and leaving them to it.

! Message from: Basilisk
Well, hello you lot and welcome to the Heart of the World. For this round, you can describe what your PC's were doing before U'frek/Faldrun called you all to the volcano to help save the world/stop them saving the world, as well as what you do once your here. From the next round and on, your group will moderated by one of our wonderful GST's, Shl'Drei. So, I'll leave you in his capable hands and hope you all have fun and enjoy the plot. Next post is in a week, on Tuesday the 15th.
[/code]
[/style3][/style]
word count: 958
Tei'serin Nji'ryn
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Herbalist and Teacher
Renown: +268
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 21

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:54 am

35th Saun, 721

Tei'serin felt the twang of the bow string as she released it, letting her arrow fly towards the target. She held her breath as she watched the arrow fly, releasing it in a small sound of satisfaction as the arrow struck its target. As a healer, Tei'serin hated violence. She hated seeing anyone in pain. And the thought of being the one who had caused that pain made her feel sick inside. That was why it was so easy for her to find a reason...any reason why she needed to put off practicing with her bow or her sword for another trial. And it wasn't as there wasn't plenty for her to do. There was always new herbs to learn about, herbs to gather or grow, and herbal remedies to make. For that matter, she didn't dare practice with her weapons...or even let slip that she had them or knew how to use them when Thorin came to check in on her. His visits were infrequent, but they were also completely unpredictable. The punishment that would await her if he ever learned that she was learning how to fight was one that she couldn't even bear to think about. She wasn't at all certain that she would survive it...and she was pretty certain that she wouldn't want to.

And yet...and yet there had been a time when being able to defend herself better might have saved her life. Four arcs had past since she had agreed to help Ymiden get a ring that he wanted to give to Moseke. Four arcs had past since Noth had killed her and her unborn child in that maze. Even now, she didn't know how she was still alive. Not really. What she did know was that if she had known how to defend herself back then, she might have survived. More importantly, Moseke herself had asked her to get stronger once it was all over. And if Moseke wanted her to do something, then she would do it. It was that simple.

Tei'serin went to fetch her arrow. As she made her way back to where she had been standing, she paused beside a tree that had a target dangling from a rope that had been tied to one of the tree's branches. Hunters had set the target up as a way for new hunters to learn how to shoot at a moving target. And since Tei'serin was pretty decent at shooting at stationary targets now, she figured that that was the next logical step in learning how to use her bow. She gave the the target a good swing then moved back to where she was standing.

She nocked an arrow, and watched the target as it swung back and forth. Tei'serin wasn't bad at hitting what she aimed at when it was standing still, but this was a whole different matter. The trill she was confident of her aim and ready to fire her bow, the target was no longer there and she had to take aim at a different spot. It was several bits before she fired her first arrow. The target had slowed down by then, but she still missed it completely. And she missed it again, and again, and again. No matter how many times she tried, she couldn't hit the moving target.

When the target stopped moving, Tei'serin walked over and swung it once more. She kept trying...and failing to hit the moving target. It took her four breaks before she managed even a glancing blow...and that was more of an accident than anything else. But it taught her a valuable lesson. In her haste and frustration, she neglected her aim a bit. When she released her arrow, it was slightly off, and she was certain that it would miss completely as so many other arrows had. But the target had swung into the path of the arrow just enough for her arrow to bounce off of its edge.

So the trick is not to aim at where a moving target is...but to aim at where it will be by the time the arrow reaches it. Tei'serin mused.

Easier said than done. Even so, she was determined to learn how to hit a moving target. So she swung the target again, and took aim...only for the world to...shift. One trill, she was standing in the forest near Desnind, and the next...she was not.

Wide eyed with shock, Tei'srein spun around looking at her surroundings. Instead of being surrounded by trees, she was standing next to the entrance of a cave. The sky was filled with black clouds of smoke that were coming from a volcano. There were no volcanoes near Desnind. Not that she knew of, or had heard about, anyway. That begged the question of where was she. And unfortunately, she had no idea. More importantly, she had no idea how to get home from wherever she was. It was strangely cool seeing as she was near a volcano, and she felt a bit damp. That was more than a little odd since there was no water in sight, and she hadn't been swimming in the river before coming to this place.

There were three other people with her. Tei'serin was about to ask if any of them knew where they were when a tall, silver eyed man with sandy hair stepped out of the cave. He introduced himself as U'frek, making Tei'serin's eyes widen even further. She had heard of the Immortal, U'frek, of course. But she knew very little about him aside from his name.

Tei'serin paid very close attention as he spoke of an ancient artifact that Faldrun, Kata, and Mastes wanted to use so that Faldrun could overpower his enemies. That...didn't sound good. Actually, it sounded very, very bad. As U'frek continued to speak, Tei'serin learned that she and the others were at the Heart of the World...which happened to be Faldrun's territory. U'frek wanted them to find this ancient artifact and get it before Faldrun, Kata, and Mastes could. Three very powerful, very dangerous Immortals. Tei'serin had a very bad feeling about this.

What exactly were four people supposed to do against three Immortals? Even with the enchantment that U'frek spoke of protecting from from the heat and fire, it sounded like a really bad idea to get involved. The last time she had tried to get an artifact for an Immortal, it had not gone well for her at all. How were they supposed to find this artifact when they didn't know the area, didn't have any kind of equipment to help them...did she even still have the bow and quiver of arrows she'd had when she was in the forest near Desnind?

U'frek kept speaking, telling them that he couldn't stay because Faldrun would be able to find them if he did. He told them that some of the Aukari Occult would probably be with the artifact...whoever they were. He also warned them about fighting the whole Sirothelle military, and really, the thought of that alone made Tei'serin want to find the fastest way back to Desnind. She didn't know about the others, but she was no fighter. She wasn't even sure if any of them had any weapons to fight with. And she didn't have any herbs or herbal remedies to use if there was any fighting and someone got hurt. She had no medical supplies with her at all.

U'frek told them that they were gathering somewhere deep in the tunnels in the volcano, and to be careful. Then he vanished. Tei'serin could only assume that "they" were the Sirothelle military. Or the Aukari Occult if they weren't the same thing. Or the Immortals that wanted the artifact that they were supposed to find. Or all three at once.

Tei'serin wanted no part of this. She wasn't a fighter. She had no experience exploring caves. And yet...part of her wanted to help all the same. U'frek said that he needed them, after all, and she wasn't the type to refuse to help someone if it was in her power to do so. She had no idea what she could do to help here...but U'frek seemed to think she could, or he wouldn't have brought her here. More practically, she had no idea how to get back to Desnind from here. So she looked at the others who were with her nervously.

"What do the rest of you think we should do?" she asked.

word count: 1493
Cad Revel
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:59 pm

Timestamp: 35 of Saun, 721

"Mwahahahahaha!"

The sound of maniacal laughter, shrill and tinny, echoed through the halls of Cad Revel's manor; highlighted by the pattering of rain and the distant rumble of thunder outside. Deep within his sanctum of evil the mad inventor paced back and forth before a chalkboard, scratching down ideas for his latest and greatest scheme for achieving world domination muttering to himself.

"...-and so adding together the cost of the latex, the squadron of highly-trained ferrets and the Rynmerian maid disguise, the total cost of this plan should roughly be-... seventy three and a half billion ne-... CURSES!"

With an explosive yell Cad threw the chalk at the wall with all his might. Of course with his noodly wimp arms the chalk didn't even make it to the wall, and instead plonked lazily onto the floor just in front of it, only adding to the evil scientist's frustration. Why was conquering the world so damn expensive! Even the cheapest henchmen he'd been able to get in contact with charged an absurd sum per hour, and those meatheads could barely assemble a chair without constant supervision. It was enough to make any aspiring tyrant despair.

As quick as it had come Cad's anger bled out of him, leaving only an afterwash of lethargy in its place. Heaving a heavy sigh, Cad slumped down into a nearby chair and cradled his face in his hands. World domination had seemed like such a simple task when he was younger, but as it turned out the logistics of organising a complete global takeover was actually rather complicated; more so than he expected. Maybe he should just give up before he did something that'd actually get him a criminal record.

No, what was he thinking?! Give up? Never! Cad Revel was no quitter damn it! One day all would bow before his overwhelming might and intellect! He just needed to find more money first to get started. The world was vast, and there was surely an opportunity to earn some quick cash that he could exploit. He just had to find it.

It was as he sat contemplating how to go about solving his problem that something caught his eye: a lone spark, lazily drifting through the air. Not a second later it hit the floor and winked out of existence, but was soon followed by another two. The two grew into three, then four, then a hundred, and Cad cried out in alarm as the ever-growing hail of sparks spiralled around him. Was something on fire?! Was he on fire?! Oh no! What was it that you were supposed to do when you were on fire again?

With a sudden flare of light space-time shifted, and Cad vanished into thin air.

With sudden flare of light space-time shifted, and Cad Revel appeared out of thin air within the blazing caverns of the heart of the world. Usually the sight of the streams of lava, roiling and churning with barely retrained heat and power, would have fascinated him, but Cad was too preoccupied rolling drunkenly across the floor to notice.

"Stop, drop and roll! Stop drop and roll!"

It was only when Valtharn began to laugh that Cad realised that he wasn't actually on fire, and finally took notice of the change of scenery. Curiosity held his tongue as Valtharn explained the situation: a fantastical tale about how Faldrun, arguably the most evil god in existence, had summoned him and the other gentleman here to prevent spies sent by the other gods to interfere with his latest plan. Cad's eyes practically lit up with delight at the mention of being richly rewarded, and when Valtharn abruptly departed with a half-hearted farewell he remained staring at the space she had occupied for a few seconds, processing what he'd just heard.

The first thought that occurred to him was that if Faldrun was cooking up a scheme for world domination, perhaps there was a way that he could highjack it? Make it his scheme for world domination. Of course trying that would most assuredly give Faldrun cause to actually set him on fire this time, and Cad wasn't confident he could survive such a thing. If the opportunity presented itself maybe he'd give it a try, but being richly rewarded would be reward enough. If a god of all people couldn't afford to may their minions well then who could.

With his moment of contemplation over, Cad turned his head to look at the other man who Faldrun had summoned and twirled his moustache in thought. "Well I don't know about you, but I'm convinced. I suppose we need a strategy if we want to make this work. The Raskalarn idea has merit, but If we're going to have to risk fighting champions sent by gods I'd rather stack the odds in my favour first. Perhaps we could set a trap of some kind? Do you have any special skills or abilities?"
word count: 881
Nathan Wolfgang
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: +15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:45 am

OOC

• F-bombs warning

35th of Saun 721, Somewhere on the Zynyx River

Breaking the early morning fog like a guiding light, the torch in the distance began waving left and right. Only the sound of the boat breaking through the water could be heard. The captain of the sloop could be seen gesturing toward a crew member. The crew member lit a torch and gesture a series of movements using the torch. The torch in the distance followed suit as if replying to the man’s gesture. The other crew member took out oars and began paddling toward the torch. A few meters out, a crew member grabbed a floating rope and began pulling it. The sloop slowly made its way closer toward the torch. As they come closer, Nathan could make out five people including the torchbearer standing on a makeshift dock. Nathan pulled down his helmet’s visor and unsheathe his long sword. The other Ironridge-born followed suit. The captain stood behind Nathan.

“Nightingale,” the torchbearer said as the sloop was several meters away from shore.

“Black Magpie,” the captain replied

“Silver Hawk,” the torchbearer replied

“Tuscan Wolf,” the captain replied.

The ship’s crew collectively held their breath, awaiting the reply from the torchbearer. Nathan began scanning his surroundings for signs of an ambush.

After a few bits, the torchbearer replied, “Fat cook.”

The captain gave Nathan a light pat on his back. The torch bearer and the people with him began pulling on the rope, guiding the sloop closer toward the makeshift dock.

“Should’ve been here several breaks ago.” The torchbearer said as he gets on the sloop

“Tell ya boys to be more punctual next time, we’ve been holding out near the bay since yesterday. No sight of em. Good thing we didn’t run into the patrol.” The captain replied as he took out a piece of cigar from his coat’s pocket and lit it. “Come on, get to it, we’re sitting ducks out here.”

The torch bearer grunts as he gestures his men to inspect the cargo and unload it from the sloop.

“Ya on another job ya greedy geezer?” the torchbearer said as he eyed Nathan and the other Ironridge-born up and down. “Ya transporting something valuable huh?” he continued as he walks closer toward the captain.

Before the torchbearer could get closer to the captain, Nathan lifted his long sword to act as a barrier between the captain and the torchbearer. “We got a schedule to catch,” Nathan said. The torchbearer pushed against Nathan’s long sword to get closer toward the captain. The other Ironridge-born were either unsheathing their weapons or standing in front of the torchbearer’s men.

The torchbearer scoffs. Nathan lifted his sword higher just beneath the man’s chin. “I said we got a schedule to catch,” Nathan said slowly, making sure the man heard him. The torchbearer stared at Nathan.

“The goods all here boss.” One of the torch bearer’s men said, breaking the silence.

The torch bearer scoffs then he move back and grab a bag of nels from his coat pocket. “Well geezer, pleasure doing business with ya. Don’t be late next time.” He replied as he followed his men off the boat.

The sloop left the makeshift dock and continue its journey toward the city.

Nathan and the rest of the Ironridge-born disembarked near Mistral village. They make their way toward Rosmerta Winery. Nathan was at the very back of the group, as he followed the other Ironridge-born through the door, the warm air from the Winery greeted them. But it was short-lived.

Nathan felt cool and a bit damp. He looked up and saw that he wasn’t at Rosemerta Winery anymore. He was in front of a cave.

35th of Saun 721, The Heart of the World, Near Sirothelle

“What the-“ Nathan exclaimed, but was cut short with the introduction of the tall silver eyed-man with sandy hair.

Nathan was about to question the person’s identity when he heard Faldrun’s name and about the location that he’s at.

“Damn it, this is the last place on Idalos I’d rather be, and yet, here I am,” Nathan muttered to himself, as he continues listening to the Immortal’s briefing. As soon as the Immortal vanished, Nathan makes his way toward the puddle of saltwater left behind. “Better to be fighting that iron-handed geezer Lokhert than being here.” He muttered to himself.

The woman’s question brought Nathan’s attention back to the present. He looked at the other people present there.

“So we’re currently deep behind enemy lines. No mounts in sight, crossing into the Etzori or Ne’haer region on foot would be a death sentence. The Aukari patrols, the Lotharean horde, not to mention those Blades at the Ne’haer border. So heading back is out of the options, unless any of you could fly or do those stuff that could get you from one place to another in an instant.” Nathan said as he moves slowly inside the cave.

He stopped then turned around facing the three other people. “The name’s Nathan Wolfgang. Guess we should know each other’s name in case only one of us comes out of this alive. I’m going inside the cave. Better than being sitting ducks out in the open, sticking together would be a better idea than getting pick off by those Aukari bastards one by one. Safety in numbers right? We’re fucked either way, so better make it count” He said before turning back and heading inside the cave.
word count: 968
Kisaik
Approved Character
Profession: Protagonist
Renown: +260
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Storybook
Medal count: 1

Miscellaneous

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:11 pm

Kisaik was flying through the air, on the back of Phee his noble steed. Phee was a pure white harpy eagle, a noble animal with a huge wingspan. The creature soared through the skies around Scalvoris, as Kisaik just soaked in the sun, baking slightly in his full plate masterwork cobalt armor. He also wore the scarf that Vega had woven him, and a sash around his torso with all of his trinkets.

His weapon, Will o Wit, the toseorun sword was tucked into the saddle of the bird he flew upon. Many other articles besides these he wore, but he wore these most proudly. On top of his head, he wore proudly Grayskull's helm, a masterwork piece that kept the wind out of his eyes while doing well not to obscure his vision too much.

All in all, he struck a gallant figure as he soared through the skies.

Eventually, however, he saw something, an anomaly ahead. A big aurora in the early morning sky. Wary but curious, his rupture spark, the Crisis Connoisseur prompted him to investigate. Perhaps this strange thing would lead him to another adventure, another tale of daring that he could relate to his good friends!

He flew with all speed into that aurora, and when he met it, he was transported.

Unfortunately, however, only he was transported, along with Will o' Wit. Phee was nowhere to be found, which was quite the pickle because the skies were overcast most unpleasantly, and there was a huge, fiery mountain. At least the soil beneath his feet seemed to crawl with the potential for life.

U'frek addressed them all, and told them of the situation. Here, Kisaik felt resolved and fortified by the instructions of the noble Immortal of Auroras and Water. He was certainly one of the good ones in Kisaik's book. Once the Immortal was gone, however, after assurances that they'd be protected from fire, Kisaik looked around.

He took stock of his surroundings and saw a woman with a bow and, a man that looked like a soldier. He doffed his helmet's visor to them and bowed. "Well met, fellow adventurers!" He chimed brightly. Then he hopped into the air, and blinked onto the shoulder of Tei'serin. "Pardon me, ma'am. I'm afraid I won't be able to keep pace with you folk if I"m just walking, and i'd prefer to keep my energy up for whatever crises lay ahead of us..."

Then the soldier began streaming a negative line of invective into the air, like he had no cares for the social niceties. Kisaik frowned beneath his helmet and remarked to Tei'serin. "Well, he's a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day, isn't he?"

Kisaik waved at the soldier, "I say, perhaps we should take stock before heading off?" Kisaik shrugged. But then, he wasn't one to balk at adventure. He turned to Tei'serin, whose shoulder he sat upon if she let him. And said, "Well, whatever happens, we're uncovered and exposed out here. We'd best follow inside. There's a special quest for us in there, after all! By the way, my name is Mädärä Kisaik Ciuruọrun sọ Kufuata Karo Kashe Däuä, Tìfmi Härumtä sọ anou Faewun Samuwar, ọbavi sọ tẹlẹ, igbaradi sọ anou tabi ọludïbọ, Saoire's chieja kẹmïkälï kukïrï." He took a deep breath after reciting all of his titles, but then he smiled at Tei'serin and the soldier. "But you fellows can call me Chip!"
word count: 606
Shl'Drei
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Animal Trainer
Renown: +120
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Storybook

Contribution

Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:54 am

Cyrus, Kisaik, Tei'serin, Nathan
The puddle rippled as the first group set about their options. With the sky covered in thick smoky clouds, the Heart of the World was an ominous view. Resolved or not, the time had come to explore- the goal was to enter the cave and keep the artifact safe or remove it. U'frek had been clear, and had not understated the danger of being in enemy territory. Despite the damp feeling, the group could tell the area was warmer than what they could handle with the enchantment. Nathan's first step into the Heart of the World echoed lowly in the volcanic cave. There was no immediate danger, but staying in the open would prove dangerous if they took too long.

The cave, the Heart of the World, was almost alive. The paths dipped and turned, and the lava veins flowed as if compelled by a powerful force. The bubble and crackle only outdone by the crumbling of or the stuttering of rocks as they fell in and sizzled. Deeper the path of the cave mouth led, and the further down they got the more they would notice paths- travelled paths. The veins of liquid fire sputtered around them, almost as if daring them to go further. The Aukari Cult would certainly have lookouts, waltzing straight into danger would not yield the safest results.
Cad, Goku
Valtharn's vanishing act left the two spies alone, one voicing their thoughts. Though they'd likely not know where to head or which direction, a sudden push of warm air would give them an idea. The flow of magma would pump hot air in a certain direction, always at their backs as they made their way around.

General Information

• Due to the time-sensitive nature of this, I can not hold out for people to post. If you miss a round, there will (I'm afraid) be consequences. That said, doing silly things like slapping an immortal will also have consequences- if you know you're not going to make a deadline just let me know and we can work something out.
  • This style of event moderation - with objectives etc - was created by a wonderful moderator named Crimson.
  • Next modpost will be on the Tuesday the 22nd.

Objectives

! Message from: Must-Do
  • Use an unusual sense (touch, smell, taste) to describe something about the area.
 ! Message from: Can-Do
  • Tell your group a skill you have that'll be helpful (or not).
  • Find something unusual.
word count: 415
Cad Revel
Approved Character
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Templates

Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Timestamp: 35th of Saun, 721
It seemed that his partner was of the more taciturn sort. Well no matter. Good minions were seen and not heard after all, so as long as his mysterious partner was happy to go along with the genius scheme he would no doubt soon devise Cad was happy. He struck a dramatic pose, his cape flapping around him in thanks to the sudden breeze of warm, musty-smelling air that kicked up behind him at just the right time, and pointed imperiously in a random direction: the tunnel that the wind way blowing towards. "Come now my malicious minion! Evil awaits, and Cad revel shall not allow such an opportunity to slip away. Let us find these spies posthaste!"

Roused by the promise of wealth, Cad marched energetically through the maze of caverns, cackling quietly to himself every few minutes of so as his mind worked to develop evil schemes with which to catch the shortsighted spies. Perhaps he could trap them in one of the tunnels? With enough leverage, or perhaps some kind of explosive, he and his partner could cause cave-ins on both sides of the spies, leaving them imprisoned until Faldrun had completed his plan. All he needed was something strong enough to cause the cave-in, and some kind of bait that would keep them distracted from noticing until it was too late.

Perhaps a beautiful woman? That Valtharn lady was smoking hot; what if he promised her a share of his reward if she agreed to wear revealing clothing and distract them with her wiles? Hmm... but then she'd be trapped in there with them, and she didn't strike him as the type who'd forgive him if he accidentally brought the entire roof down on her head.

Something else then. A large wedge of cheese? Treasure? A fake relic? Something that no goody-two-shoes god worshipper would even hesitate to stop and check up on.

Like a bolt of lightning, the perfect thought suddenly struck him. "Eureka!" He cried, turning back to Goku with a wide, toothy grin. "Listen up my fiendish friend, for I have the perfect ploy to place those pilfering operatives in peril. First it is imperitive that we find a dead-end somewhere in these tunnels: somewhere where we can lure them in to and trap them. Secondly I shall need at least on dead body. A third you will need some way to cause a cave-in. How strong are you? You look pretty ripped: enough to lever a weak spot?"

Magic/Abilities/Items Used

None.
word count: 463
Nathan Wolfgang
Approved Character
Renown: +15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:09 pm

OOC

• F-bombs warning

That’s just fucking great, right in the middle of Faldrun’s territory. They better save me a bottle of Gyara. I do really need that massage, after all, my body’s still aching after the previous job. I’ll make damn sure I’m properly compensated for this job. What’s with that humming voice? Could have been my imagination or the effect of lack of sleep. Nathan thought to himself as he enters the mouth of the cave. He walks slowly, taking care to observe his surroundings in case an Aukari is prowling about.

What did that silver-hair Immortal said about the artifact? Destroy or keep safe right? Well, the artifact better be worth all this trouble. The artifact itself would be good compensation. Depends on what the artifact’s power is. What in Idalos is it with these Immortals, whisking us away on a whim? Is the Empress involved? If what the silver-hair Immortal said is true then she must’ve been involved right? Who doesn’t want a good fight? I’d be annoyed if after all this is done and all we get is a pat on the back thanking us for our hard work. Pricks. Nathan ponders as he slowly makes his way deeper into the cave. At some point, he stops walking, and after making sure there’s still nothing ahead he turned toward his companions.

“Hey Chip, you’re right about taking stock before we head off. It’s just have been a long night for me, a few trills away from good food, a damn great bottle of wine, and a massage then next thing you know, here I am, strolling into the fiery pit. Anyway, I’m a little bit rusty in my combat skills since it only took a glance of a group of us in plate armors and any would-be-perpetrators would think twice about messing with us. So yeah, rusty combat skills. So that's me. What about you guys?"

Nathan said as he nods at his companions.

“It’s quite warm in here huh? Praise the Immortal for this protection. We’d be roast meat without it. Oh, and if it helps, I could speak a little bit of Vauni.”

There it is that humming again. Must’ve been the cave’s echo or stuff. It sounded like it comes from farther inside the cave. Those two should have heard it too right? Such a soft and hauntingly beautiful and melodic humming. Should I ask them if they heard it? Or am I the only one hearing it? Let’s just wait if any of them commented on it. And goodness that smell of rotten egg.

Nathan thought to himself as he looks for a spot in the cavern’s wall to lean back on. As he did, he removes his helmet to lessen the heat he was feeling and sigh. His gaze fell on something small but unusual to be found where they currently at. A spiral seashell. He picked it up and showed it to his companions.

“Hey guys, look. I found the first piece of the treasure. A seashell inside a volcano.” Nathan said with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

word count: 546
Tei'serin Nji'ryn
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Herbalist and Teacher
Renown: +268
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 21

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:30 am

One of the men introduced himself as Nathan Wolfgang. He seemed to recognize where they were, which was more than Tei'serin had been able to do. But his words didn't give her much hope of finding a way back to Desnind without help. If Nathan was right, they were somewhere between Etzos and Ne’haer. Tei'serin had lived in Treth for most of her life, and that small village had connections to Ne’haer. She knew that if she could get there, she could get to Desnind via the flutterbus that they had there. The problem with that...well. There were many problems with that. She had no idea which direction she needed to travel in to get to Ne’haer, nor did she know how far away the city was. That was the first problem, though it was by no means the biggest. Tei'serin had her bow with her, but she had no supplies. She didn't know the first thing about how to survive on her own in the wilderness. Things like how to make shelter, find water, knowing what was safe to eat and what wasn't...those were all well beyond her knowledge. She made a mental note to learn how to do all of those things when she got the chance...but that didn't help her now.

Then there was the fact that she was in enemy territory, and it was likely that she wouldn't e allowed to just go on her way if she met up with any of the Aukari Occult that U'frek had mentioned. And that didn't even begin to address the possibility of running into the Lotharean horde if she made it that far. She wasn't a fighter, and she knew it. She would be no match against the horde, eve with her bow, and she knew it. The Blades might be willing to let her into Ne'haer if she ran into them seeing as how she had lived in Treth. But that was only if they were willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, or hold her until they could check to see if she was telling the truth.

She had no means to get to safety on her own. And that limited her options considerably. Tei'serin was still trying to decide what to do when a male Tunäwä greeted them before jumping into the air and disappearing...only to reappear on Tei'serin's shoulder. Tei'serin blinked at him, startled, and somewhat uneasy. He wasn't big enough to hurt her the way she had been hurt in the past...but he was still a man. And she had more than enough reason to be wary of men. She didn't shake him off, or ask him to get off because he did have a point. If they were going to stick together...and that seemed like the smartest thing to do at the moment...he would need a way to keep up with them. Even so, it took an act of will for her not to suggest that he ride on Nathan's shoulder instead.

The Tunäwä introduced himself as Mädärä Kisaik Ciuruọrun sọ Kufuata Karo Kashe Däuä, Tìfmi Härumtä sọ anou Faewun Samuwar, ọbavi sọ tẹlẹ, igbaradi sọ anou tabi ọludïbọ, Saoire's chieja kẹmïkälï kukïrï. Only the fact that she had been a teacher for arcs, and she was used to paying close attention to names allowed her to take all of that in. And she was afraid to even attempt to repeat it for fear of messing it up and offending him. Fortunately, he told them to call him Chip. Chip was a lot easier to pronounce.

Nathan entered the cave, and Chip suggested that they follow him. Tei'serin wasn't at all excited about the "special quest" that awaited them, but she could see the sense in Chip's words, and she did just that. The cave was much warmer than it had been outside. So much so that Tei'serin realized that the protection against fire and heat that U'frek had given them was all that was making the heat of the cave even remotely bearable.

Tei'serin looked around, trying to get a feel for her surroundings. The cave seemed almost...alive somehow. Lava flowed through veins the same way blood flowed through veins in a person. The sounds of the cave were in some ways, what she might expect to hear from a living cave if such things were possible. The bubbling of the lava instead of the rumbling of a hungry belly. And the sizzling of rocks as they fell into the lava instead of the sounds of someone breathing. Almost against her will, curiosity had Tei'serin placing her fingers lightly on the wall of the cave to see if she could feel the pulse of a heart. The stone was warm, but not unbearably so due to U'frek's protection, and it was strangely smooth. Not at all like Tei'serin would have thought a cave wall would be. But it added to the sense that the cave was somehow alive because skin was also smooth.

When Nathan told them about his rusty combat skills, and asked them about what they could do, Tei'serin hesitated before answering. She couldn't help but wonder why he wanted to know...was he working for Thorin? Was this some kind of a test for her? If so...what was the right answer? What would happen if she failed it? But she quickly realized that it couldn't be something that Thorin was using as a test. Not when U'frek had been the one to bring them here. Not even Thorin could command the Immortals to help him.

"My name is Tei'serin Nji'ryn. As far as combat goes, I'm okay with a bow, but not great. And I've never tried to shoot at anything living before. Just at targets. So I'm not certain that I could do that." she said softly.

"I am a healer who specializes in herbs, but without any supplies, I'm not sure how much use I'll be if any of us need medical attention."

She hesitated for a few trills longer before adding:

"Depending on the situation, I may still be able to help even if I don't have any supplies."

She didn't tell them why she might be able to help though. She didn't trust them. Not really. And she had no way of knowing how they would react if they knew that she had been marked by Moseke...or if they would try to use that against her somehow. If they were lucky, no one would need any healing, and if they did...she would do what she could when the time came.

Tei'serin thought it very unusual that Nathan found a shell in the cave of all things. They weren't anywhere near the sea, she didn't think. At the very least, she couldn't smell any salt in the air as she would if they were near the sea. The smell of rotten eggs would overpower it now that they were inside the cave, but she hadn't smelled any when they were outside either. So it was unlikely that a bird could have dropped the shell in the cave. It was strange enough that Tei'serin began looking around to see if she could find anything strange too. Her search turned up a leather bound book. She could tell by the cover that it was old, and when she opened it up, she found ornate writing in a language that she didn't recognize. But there were beautiful pictures of plants on the pages as well as writing, and she recognized some of the images, but not all of them. The book was wrapped with rope in such a way that it could be carried on one's back, much like a backpack.

"I found something too." she told the others, showing them the book that she had found.

OOC
I am aware that Treth was absorbed into Ne'haer a long time ago, but Tei'serin was in Desnind at that point, and she is unaware of that fact.

word count: 1419
Kisaik
Approved Character
Profession: Protagonist
Renown: +260
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Storybook

Miscellaneous

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:16 pm

The soldier was a bit rough around the edges, but Kisaik didn't mind. He found his manners refreshing. He decided he liked Nathan, in that moment. When asked to share what skills he might have that are useful, Kisaik thought on it only a moment. "Well, I'm a knight. I know how to ride flying animals, am an expert at all the courtly manners and streetwise as well. And I also happen to be a gardener. I can fight if I need to, but I'm not convinced that is the best approach here, given Lord U'frek's instructions that haste is of the essence. I suggest we avoid any unnecessary martial entanglements.."

Here, Kisaik began taking stock of his surroundings and seemed to identify a piece of pinecone on Tei'serin's shoulder. It was oddly shaped, like a child's toy or a top. Bemused, he picked it up but didn't say anything, in case it might embarrass the woman. He didn't know why he had the compulsion to not mention it, but... there they were. As he picked it up, he was reminded of the scents of Magani and Desnind, where he came from.

"That said... I am fairly adept at sneaking around. And my armor doesn't weigh me down or make too much noise. I think I can scout ahead for all of us? I can also peer into the Beneath for any unusual spiritual activity..."

That said, Kisaik did just that. He began peeling back the veil that revealed the spiritual world underpinning Idalos and tried to find anything unusual there. Some kind of hint to where their artifact might be.

As he did so, he kept wary of any spirits, whether hostile or otherwise, and would pull back from his view of the beneath the moment any of those spirits threatened him or his fellows.

Once he'd satisfied himself with the view of the Beneath, he would report back to the rest of the group what he'd found.
OOC
Kisaik used an ability, Peer into the Beneath granted to him by Loshova (Ashan is the immortal). It allows him to see the spirits in the Beneath, as well as spiritual activity that allows him to guess what kind of concepts exist in a place more broadly.

Can do objectives: He described his skills as said in the post. He also found a pinecone on Tei'serin's shoulder. A tiny one.
Must do objectives: He smelled the scent of Magani and Desnind (places in Idalos) on the pinecone he found on Tei'serin's shoulder.

word count: 439

Return to “Parts Unknown”