Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Storied Gold

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 am

Agate. A gate. Get it?

The pretty lady sure liked to hear herself talk. And while Oram didn’t especially mind *watching* her talk, listening was a different matter. Blather blather big words blah blah blah superfluous babble babble assumptive bloviate banality. And all just to say: “I don’t like being here and don’t trust that guy saying he’s Cassion. I’m leaving.”

There were more interesting and potentially serious things to notice and make sense of in the meantime. The door was producing musical sounds and glowing glyphs. The big Abanabus thing was stirring and rumbling ominously. Devin disappeared somehow. And just then, for some reason, the air filled with the scent of apple wood smoke. Oram took a break from watching Zana talk to close his eyes a trill to savor the crisp, sweet smell, letting his aggravation seep away as he did so.

With a slight start, he realized that Zana was talking to him and opened his eyes again. Did he think that was really Cassion? As opposed to whom? Frowning in puzzlement at the odd question, and the somewhat far-fetched suggestion behind it, the hunter cast a questioning glance at Arlo before answering.

”You’ve said a lot about what you would expect,” he replied. ”How you’d expect an Immortal to act in this or that situation. And on the strength of that, you’re suggesting that that wasn’t really Cassion, and that this thing is all some sort of trick.” He shrugged. ”Maybe you’re right. But it sure looked like Cassion to me, and I’ve found that when expectations and senses disagree, it’s usually the expectations that are wrong.

“You’re right for sure about one thing, though: we need to find a way out of here. I notice we weren’t offered one. I’d say we haven’t been so much kidnapped as marooned, but it ends up being the same problem for us.”

Another rumble and heave drew the traveler’s attention to the nearby hills. ”I don’t know anything about the creature Cassion mentioned. I’m not sure how much more I want to find out right now.”

He had been just about to suggest that Kalortah take wing and scout out the surroundings, but the avriel, unsurprisingly, had different and more self-serving plans in mind. He declared his intention to leave and offered to take the lady with him. Oram wondered if they would have more success with that than they would with their shoe-tapping thing; the hunter was not about to sacrifice their dwindling time trying to talk them out of it. He turned to Arlo and Alyssia. ”We should go inside,” he suggested. ”The first priority when you find yourself stranded or lost in the wilderness is to find shelter, and I see some right in front of us.” He glanced meaningfully at the sky. ”Besides, it looks like it’s about to-” Just then, a gout of rain blasted his upturned face. Lowering his head quickly, Oram made for the open doorway and its overhanging porch, agate, glyphs and all.
word count: 526
Villains are powerless against story beats.
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Traveler
Renown: +625
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 34

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:32 pm

The fact that the potential Immortal who might or might not be Cassion, turned on his heel and left without addressing any of the questions that others had asked, only resulted in Arlo falling more to the side of...not Cassion. Or at least, not remotely like the one he'd come to know and adventure alongside over the past handful of arcs. As well as any human or mortalborn could know an Immortal, that was. Or a son, his father.

One of their party's sudden disappearance in a literal slash was curious, and the sudden sense of calm, familiar and warm, the glow, the hum and all that went with it...albeit it even more curious all things considered, did very little to ease the mortalborn's suspicions. Thus far, so far as he knew, there was nothing at all wrong with his critical thinking skills. As for the blonde and her accusations about judgment? "If it quacks like a duck..." Arlo muttered, only half under his breath, before taking another deeper one. The strange musical manipulation at the very least, help keep some of his impulses in check.

"I heard you just fine. I can even say that I'm inclined to agree with you one some points, but not necessarily others. As for that thing," he said, gesturing towards the mountain that seemed to rise and fall, as if it was taking big heaving breaths. "Abanaxus. Enormous thing that looks like a dragon but isn't. Legend has it that he resides beneath a mountain in Uthaldria, and it's probably wisest not to disturb him. We've been told there's valuables to loot somewhere in there," he added, gesturing to the door that now glowed invitingly. "Maybe it's his stash. Either way, if any of it's true, then it's probably where we are. Uthaldria."

As for the rest? "On one thing I have to agree. If that was Cassion, then everything I've learned about him over the course of nearly half a dozen arcs, walking alongside him...for all that any of us can know any Immortal well enough to peel off every level of what they are, has been a charade. That was not the father I know." As for Oram's uncertainty? So far as Arlo was concerned, his inclination to believe was as legitimate as Arlo's to doubt.

However..."Tell me this? How many times have you spent time in his company. He doesn't just love stories, he is story. He lives and breathes it. He cares much less about the outcome than how it plays out along the way, and that requires choice What choice, here?" he asked. "And how many times have you seen him ignore or brush off an opening for him to engage in a bit of his own storytelling. Yet he waved your questions as one would fruit flies during harvest season. He brought a child here without so much as a by your leave and threw her in harm's way. Unless she is much more than she appears to be, I've never once known him to have so little regard for the lives of mortals."

"I could be wrong about all of it....It could all be part of his plan, to watch how well or poorly...four miserably matched adventurers cope with all this. But from my position given all that I know, that was a very poorly constructed imitation of the Cassion I know." Of course he could go on and on, but he'd still have to agree with Oram on one point. Or at least, part of it. "Like you say, we're here now. I'm just not sure that strolling blind into where we've been told to go without question is the best way to go."

Of course that was the moment that one of the party, or rather two, sprouted wings and lifted off...one, whether she cared to or not, and Arlo inwardly groaned. The sudden downpour only added to the frustration. Still, he couldn't help but wonder if it was all by design. The doors that beckoned calmly, soothingly, lovingly, then rain coming down hard enough to drive even the most intrepid of adventurers indoors, just where the Immortal had instructed them to go. Also, very un-Cassion like to force the course of a story.

Arlo had turned from the doorway in order to address Zana's concerns, and Lyova had brought him back her report. Far be it for the son of Cassion to be undone by a little rainfall. To the girl, he said, "Your choice, of course." Though he himself more inclined to venture just a little nearer the entrance in hopes it might act as a windbreak of sorts, whatever wind drove the rain. Yet, he wasn't at all prepared to venture inside until he knew the outcome of the attempted escape by the winged one and the woman. Not that these were the sorts of companions Arlo would have chosen, had he been given a choice. He was still inclined to think that their idea of roughing it would be having to do their own nails and makeup rather than having it done for them. Odd bedfellows to be sure. But if this newest escape attempt was to fail, better for them all to stick together, than not.
word count: 909
Alyssia
Approved Character
Race: Aukari
Renown: +100
Character Sheet
Secrets
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 3

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:25 pm

The teen looked when the rest could not leave. Or at least the one called Zana and Kalorath could not leave. It seemed strange to her that they were clicking their heels as if that would work, but she did not ask any questions. Alyssia would not stop them if they truly wished to go. They were beginning to lose time and the creature before them was waking up. She knew nothing beyond the immortals Faldrun and Saoire so the teen could not truly say if that was indeed Cassion. At the moment that was the last thing on her mind for sure.

It was not long before the teen looked back to see that Arlo promised to look after her. Taking a deep breath, the girl was happy that she would not be going inside alone. When Zana did not leave but walked up beside them, the girl looked over and made sure to give her undivided attention. She would not allow the strange actions of the Immortals to make her decision for her. Alyssia still felt guilty for not being able to help when it came to the Smooglenuff Manor. Even if going inside was a trap, there was the possibility that the world could possibly be in danger. If there was anything the girl could do to prevent it then she would.

“Devin was called away on another assignment. That is why he disappeared. Look I do not know much of the Immortals aside from Karem saving my life and Saoire. I do not claim to know what they think or what their purposes are behind their actions. If you do not feel the man is who he said he is then do what you feel is best. I plan to go inside and try to protect the world; I am young and do not have much experience with weapons or adventures. But I failed someone I made a promise to before,” Alyssia looked up when Arlo spoke of the weather turning sour only for it to pour, “When I met Lady Saoire, I promised her to always bring honor to her name. If the Immortals believe I can help stop Faldrun then I will no matter what.”

Alyssia stated without flinching. Her heart still hammered against her ribs trying to flee her body and run to safety. But she turned to the door and followed Oram already thoroughly soaked to the very bones. As the teen approached the door while the creature seemed to stir, she fought the very urge to take off in a dead run for the door. The last thing that the girl wanted them to think was that she could talk a big talk but was ultimately weak. Many heros of the past had sacrificed themselves for that of the greater good.

Though she did not want to, the last thing that Alyssia would allow was her new home and friends to be hurt. The song that floated out made the girl stop beside Oram, it was soothing making the teen close her eyes and smile gently. It was as if her mind was clear of all worry and fear. Taking a deep breath, she looked back at Zana, Kalorath, and Arlo to see if the other two would join them. She doubted as much, but that did not mean very much.

word count: 560
Avalon
General Staff
Race: Immortal
Profession: Enchantress
Renown: 0
Templates
Medal count: 4

Contribution

Staff

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:30 pm

Saun 35, Arc 721
And the adventure...uh...continues?

Well……

The remaining two Tarouz found that things weren’t quite so simple as clicking their heels and wishing to be home, but options did remain.

Zana was the very picture of control calm. A beautiful storm captured exquisitely – despite being soaking wet – within one trill and the next. The beauty of her calm allowed her to lay out her thought process to the smallest detail, explaining to the rest how her logic worked.

Oram and Arlo picked apart Zana’s opinions with thoughts of their own. Opposing views in many different senses. And it rained. And rained some more.

The avriel babbled a bit and spoke to the skies. Zana found herself, oddly enough, sprouting aurora wings and Arlo waited to see how the story would play out – a true son of Cassion, who may or may not have marooned them there. That was still up for debate and It seemed as though Zana was leaving, whether she wanted to or not.

Oram and Alyssia ventured closer to the mountain, intent on entering, as things began to happen.

As Zana and Kalortah begin to lift skyward, the light that had illuminated the ground before, did so again, helplessly blinding the group. When the brilliant light receded, they stood there no more.

Voices...

When they opened their eyes, they were no longer outside, and all five members were accounted for. Once they looked around, they would realize that they were now inside the passageway. Lyova fell in besides Arlo as they adjusted to their new surroundings.

They were near enough to the entrance to see the rain pelt the ground through the open door, but far enough away that when the door slammed closed, none there would be fast enough to do anything about it, plunging them into near darkness. Arlo’s diri had mentioned illuminated bits near the floor but those didn’t help much.

What did help, however, was the thousands of illuminated spots that suddenly appeared on the ceiling of the stone passageway, pulsing with a soft blue light. The nature of the light was subtle and muted, but the sheer number of areas that were lit made looking about a bit easier, not that there was anything to look at.

Listen to, however? Oh yes….

“Well, finally!” a female voice called out around them. “I thought you lot were going to be lollygagging out in the rain all trial and wake Mr. Fussy Grumpy Banana up. That would not have been wise.” It was hard to determine where the voice was coming from, although it wasn’t loud. For all they knew, it was being spoken directly into their minds. The only thing that was certain, is each heard the same voice, and same thing. “Let us get on with things, shall we?”

What they heard then was something…odd. It sounds like the dramatic fanfare that occurred when one was being introduced. A fanfare trumpet rang into their ears. “Welcome all toooooooo…..the Vault! Let’s see – who do we have? Yes yes….Delroth…Hmmm…water, interesting. Did not see that coming. Adventure! Always helpful. Connections to Faldrass. Many connections to Faldrass – good and bad. Alright, I think I have a sense of it now.”

The voice faded out for a moment, becoming garbled before clearing again. “What we have here, is a bit of a problem,” she began. “There are things here – many things – that don’t like to be messed with, and the people here and trying to do all the messing they can, without realizing what they are dealing with. It's a bit stupid, really. It could spell catastrophe on many levels, including the one you were already spoken to about.”

The illuminated ceiling pulsed a bit, and the voice continued. “This passageway will lead you down but be warned that this place is something of a maze. It hides its treasures in multiple ways, so stay sharp.”

And with that, the voice fades, replaced by something that sounded very….goose-like?

Angry goose-like. Or in this case….geese-like. A gaggle of geese? And the noises were coming from down the hallway...

The music that had played outside the entrance door began again, softly floating through the air as background music to their scene.

Zana - Objectives Met!
Calm Before the Storm! ~ You described your character's personal state of calm. This will have positive consequence at the end of the thread.
Word Jumble! ~ You included the words Sacrifice, Banality and Superfluous in your post! This will have positive consequence at the end of the thread

Oram - Objectives Met!
Calm Before the Storm! ~ You described your character's personal state of calm. This will have positive consequence at the end of the thread.
Word Jumble! ~ You included the words Sacrifice, Banality and Superfluous in your post! This will have positive consequence at the end of the thread

Alyssia - Objectives Met!

Arlo - Objectives Met!

Info & Rules

• Due to the time-sensitive nature of this, we can not hold out for people to post. If you miss a round, there will be consequences including but not limited to death by chocolate, removal from the event, zombifying, and being attacked by a flock of rabid wild geese. You have been warned... :D
  • This style of event moderation - with objectives etc - was created by a wonderful moderator named Crimson. I had forgotten all about it until I saw Peg used it here. Thanks to Crimson for the amazing mod style, and to Peg for seeing it carried forward for the enjoyment of future writers. It's a legacy very much worth continuing. Much love to you both!
  • You are all so pretty....

Objectives

! Message from: Must-Do Objectives
  • Describe a piece of character's clothing in detail. Be creative!
 ! Message from: Can-Do Objectives
  • Use a quote from a Marvel movie!
Deadline to Post: Monday 28th of June, 11:59pst
Next Post: Tuesday 29th of June
Last edited by Avalon on Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1120
Kalortah
Approved Character
Profession: Voice of Calamity
Renown: +420
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:12 pm

Unfortunately, for Kalortah, he had to listen to the trio of land-walkers drone on about this and that. About Cassion’s nature and blah blah blah. How the avriel suffered. How poor Zana of Delroth must’ve suffered! He would spare her from the fate of inescapable boredom that these cretins threatened to subject them all to. He would teach her to fly, and fly right out of here!

But first there was the matter of Devin, which the red-haired urchin spoke up about. Kalortah had to scoff. ”Another assignment! Called by whom?” But then the avriel waved his hand. It didn’t matter. Devin was as irrelevant as the three before him.

So he lifted Zana up without another word wasted. She didn’t require much actual force to carry, for the wings in her back allowed her to fly with ease. Still, she needed to get used to navigation in three dimensions, rather than the flat-ground that land-walkers were cursed to crawl upon.

He brought her up, toward the break of sky that he thought he saw. But then, there was a light, and suddenly Kalortah almost had cause to panic. His instincts kicked in, and he decided to lose the extra weight, in an effort to save himself. He tossed Zana to the side as the light embraced them. She could bloody well teach herself to fly!

And then, they disappeared, back in what looked like some subterranean hallway. Trapped, with no way out.

Kalortah listened to the voice that spoke to them all, and watched the illuminated spots all around, wondering what they might be. It looked almost… gemlike. The avriel called to his familiar then, to Glorius the blue owl. In the meantime, he had to listen to this strange voice.

The avriel couldn’t deny the beauty of the song, as the doorway began with it again. Yet that didn’t concern him. The lousy chimes and trills of a automatic musical device didn’t impress the Voice of Calamity.

But… what was that. The sound of birds, geese, Delroth’s kin? And the voice had mentioned treasure of a kind. If nothing else, if there was truly no escape, Kalortah would find that treasure if that was the entire point of this exercise. Forget fickle Zana Delroth. He’d help these land-walking grubs get their quest done, and hopefully be rewarded in one way or another with treasure. So greed won out over self-interest and determination, in Kalortah’s case.

He heard the geese, and spoke out to them, from beyond the hallway. Using his Tarouz blessing of BirdtongueThis ability allows a Tarouz to communicate with any species of bird, regardless of the Tarouz' familiarity of the species. Birdtongue lets the Tarouz convey basic information, while receiving the same. At Favored, the bird is compelled to obey any orders, but may resist. At Adored, the bird will only resist if the action would endanger itself or its young. At Exalted, the bird will obey, no matter what. he spoke to the gaggle of angry geese, trying to coerce themMaster Intimidation into standing down, and perhaps even helping the group finish their errand, so that Kalortah could go home.

”Noble fowl of air and water! I am the Voice of Calamity, and I demand you show deference and let us pass to the source of our errand! If you know where our goal lies, lead us to it. If not, stand aside!” Kalortah raised his arms and wings for effect, his face twisted in a beautiful scowl as he faced down the kin of his Patron. "Kneel before me. I said... Kneel! Is not this simpler? Is this not your natural state?" Now, Kalortah wore his favorite jacket. It was hip-length, made from fine leather and lined with deep red silk. Along the sleeves were bird-like designs, stitched in sturdy cloth of bronze thread. The collar was high, with cloth of bronze brocade featuring some of the same designs on the inner lining of the collar. The sleeves were long, covering his hands to the half-way point. On the lapel of that jacket, a beautiful multi-colored phoenix was shown on the crystal pin Delroth had given him, which reflected the adoration of birds back to his glorious self. The wings were spread wide, and now shone with orange and red light as he face down the angry geese.
Objectives

Described Kalortah's pin from Delroth. Does that count as clothing/apparel? If not I also copy-pasted his bespoke jacket's description from my CS :P
The quote "Kneel before me. I said... Kneel! Is not this simpler? Is this not your natural state?" is a quote from Loki in one of them marvel movies, I'm told.

word count: 803
Image ~ Image ~ Image
Zana
Approved Character
Profession: Living a libertine lifestyle.
Renown: +114
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 6
Medal count: 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:36 pm

Storied Gold

Delroth help her, but these idiots didn't get any better, did they? Other than a slight but gracious smile to Kalortah as he said that he had listened to her, Zana was less than impressed.

The frowny one frowned and grumped and spoke about his experience - apparently with ducks, according to the hatted one - but when Oram said that it was expectations that were wrong, Zana recognised that he was a hard-headed imbecile who was incapable of admitting he was wrong. She had no time for such and, thus, dismissed him as irrelevant.

At least, she considered, there seemed to be hope for the hat-wearing hobo. He wondered just how much experience the Frowner had with - Hat-Wearer's father, Cassion? Presumably, she thought, that might at least mean that he had some sense, and it appeared he did. What choice here, indeed. She turned to agree but then the avriel glowed and put his hands on her.

Wings?

He gave her wings, and they were beautiful. Zana gave an experimental flutter and then she felt her feet lift off the ground.

And then, there was another bright light, and - once again - they were somewhere else.

Inside the passageway. With the pretty glowing ceiling and the softly-spoken but all pervading voice?

Zana listened to the voice and then she looked at the others.

"No."

She didn't stamp her foot, she didn't sound like she was being churlish. In fact, in that moment Zana sounded determined. "Absolutely, no. I have nothing to prove to youCarol Danvers, Captain Marvel and I understand that you think you have control over us. I can feel the righteousness surgingLoki, Thor: The Dark World, but I have no idea who you are, or what you want." She smiled, and as she did her arms and back were covered in steel feathersBy using this ability, the Tarouz can grow organic steel feathers all along his or her arms, allowing them both a weapon and armor at a moment's notice. The feathers are as durable as steel, and offer resistance to piercing and bludgeoning damage. They are also razor sharp, though at this level, they must be wielded as melee weapons, as they can't be thrown from the Tarouz. The biggest drawback is that the feathers each weigh a moderate amount, slowing the Tarouz considerably unless well practiced with the ability (she has practiced with them quite a lot). and she stood, unmoving.

"My name is Zana Delroth," she said, quietly. "I do not bow to the whims of others and I do not blindly obey those who have kidnapped me without my consent, who see fit to put me where they want me and do not allow me to leave. Whatever you are, strange little voice, whoever that person was, this is a deliberate kidnapping. Magical items do not work - yet you teleport us around without question or concern. If my actions make no difference and you will put us where you want us, if our magical items are supressed, but your magic used freely? Namely, if all of this is so predetermined by you that you act in this way? I suggest you simply do it yourself." Looking at the others, she spoke firmly. "No one has the right to remove free will in this way. Go along with the voice which moves you without permission, which forces you to follow it's carefully laid out path, if you wish." She glanced at Oram. "Perhaps it meets your expectations, but I'm afraid mine are somewhat higher. I will not comply."

And she stood, unmoving. The avriel moved forward, engaging with what sounded like geese. She fully expected the imbecile man and imbecile child to trot off dutifully. But Zana would not be coerced in this way, given a predetermined path and given no choice. She wondered if the one with the hat - Cassion's son - might see some sense, but no matter if he did not.

If this was a story Cassion was telling - then she would play her part herself. Or he could tell it without her.

Take another bite, it'll be alright.
What's wrong will soon feel right. Dangerous tonight
word count: 732
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Traveler
Renown: +625
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 34

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Two of five continued attempting to leave, and failed, which Arlo had already come to expect. A third? He suspected that Devin's departure had little to do with his own druthers, one way or the other. And then where they'd been before, when some of them, including Arlo, weren't being quite as cooperative or obliging as quickly as whatever powers that be, wanted them to be, they were no longer. Instead, judging by Lyova's earlier description of what was beyond the door in question, that was exactly where they were.

If he hadn't been convinced before, this most recent turn of events cinched it so far as Arlo was concerned. "Definitely not Cassion," he muttered, allowing his eyes to adjust to the change in lighting. Everyone fails at who they’re supposed to be...Frigga, Avengers: Endgamesometimes. He couldn't remember where or when, but he'd heard that said once upon a time. Well if that was true, either the Imposter was absolutely the worst actor in all of Idalos; or, having managed to fool his mortal born son completely; the Cassion he knew had been delivering a performance worthy of the highest, worldwide acclaim for all of these arcs.

It was one thing for the Immortals to have taken a ridiculous Oath that involved asking mortal men and women to settle their grievances. It was entirely something else to remove any semblance of free will, choice and self-determination, all on a whim. What were mortals then but mindless rubes? "If that was Cassion, I'll eat my hat," he muttered to any of the others who were standing close by. Old, battered, notched in places with a band strung with old beads and feathers. Found along the roadside many arcs ago hung on a branch where he'd previously left an offering for Cassion, it fit like a glove and he'd worn it ever since. It was Cassion's hat.

Then of course as a female voice appeared to come from nowhere; perhaps even one belonging to the same imposter who'd brought them all here; Delroth's spawn and or minions had to show off. For all the good it did them. The male winged one appeared to be vying for the 'way over the top' dramatic performance of the year as what might be geese sounded off in the distance. At least the steel feathers sprouted by the blonde seemed somewhat useful.

Arlo hated to admit it and probably never would out loud, he was starting to think that of all of those present, his own line of thinking might be more aligned with hers at the moment, than not. Odd bedfellows, indeed. Even if the first few lines of her extremely wordy protest seemed more like something that an evil, overly dramatic overlord...ess, might employ. Or wicked stepmother, at least. "Don't let this go to your head," he said, quite under his breath as he stood next to Zana. But then he addressed the voice. "No."

It seemed very likely that whoever was behind all of this, wasn't at all accustomed to being told no. So far as he was concerned, they'd need to get used to it. "You talk as if any of us have been given a choice. If you are not one and the same as the one that's brought us here, you might as well be. So far as I'm aware, none of us were asked to come here. We were abducted, prevented from leaving...in effect held prisoner, extorted and moved from place to place on a whim like so many game pieces. For your own ends or for your own amusement." Or both.

"I'm not about to go off battling a bunch of honking barnyard fowl for your entertainment, on the way to wherever it is you want us to go. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that's got better things to do. Let's stop pretending and cut to the chase," he said. "As the lady has said, do it yourself, and let those of us who choose to, go back to our homes and our lives. Or, if you want any semblance of cooperation from this point forward," As if it was even necessary, "tell us who you really are, and what you really want. Ask. Not a demand masquerading as an ask. No talk of adventure when what we're really talking about here is us being used as a means to an end. And then, maybe." If it made no difference in the end? Well it might not. But if Arlo was going to have every shred of choice or self-determination stripped from him; if he was going to be forced into a fool's errand, then he'd rather know the reasons why, and the identity of the fool whose errand it was.
word count: 829
Oram Mednix
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Trapper
Renown: +530
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8
Medal count: 13

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:10 am

The voices are telling me to do things I don’t want to do

There was carping and squabbling, cut mercifully short by an outburst of rain. The Tarouz made a second attempt to leave. Then, the light from earlier returned, this time with blinding intensity. Moments later, once the spots cleared from his eyes, Oram found himself in darkness, and out of the rain. Some paces away, the door he did not remember passing through framed the storm-greyed light from outside for a few trills, then swung shut, leaving them in darkness.

Oram fumbled with his fingers across his torso, touching the home-made rope harness he wore over his gambeson. It was fortunate that he had arrived here bearing his hunting gear, as opposed to, say, being dressed for dinner with his brother or a meeting with the Rangers. He had several odds and ends attached to the harness: a hatchet, a knife, and, in spite of its being Saun, his lantern. Inside the lantern were not just the lightstone he used to light up dark places, but also his flint and tinder and, more recently, his True North Gem that helped him stay oriented, and a ball of twine.

He had been just about to open the lantern to reveal the lightstone when his eyes picked up the faint bluish glow. In that light, he also noticed that everyone from his group, not just himself, had been transported here, including Kalortah and Zana. Two attempts to flee, two failures. The hunter should have felt amused by how frustrated the two must feel right now; at the moment, however, he shared those frustrations and concerns.

And boy, was the lady determined to have them share her frustrations and concerned. She started railing against her situation, and making a big production out of her refusal to do anything useful or obliging. When the mewling quimLoki to Black Widow in Avengers ended her quimmy mewling by addressing a snarky remark to himself, Oram just looked at her. ”Nice wings,” he said quietly, ignoring most of her jibes. ”I’m sure they’ll prove useful down here.”

They were Kalortah’s doing, he supposed. Apparently, the avriel preferred *everybody*, not just Oram, with wings on their backs. Because Kalortah, he was a full-tilt diva, right? He wanted flowers; he wanted paradesAlso Avengers, somewhat paraphrased. And he wanted to be surrounding by an adoring flock of lesser birds. Which was, apparently why he was now honking back at the chorus of invisible geese squawking somewhere ahead.

Oram let out a pained sigh after everybody, Arlo included, had their say, and began to walk back towards the door that had just closed behind them. ”While y’all are arguing with disembodied voices and eating your hats, I’ll try this exit. Maybe it’s just shut and not locked. Carefully, in case that Abracadabra critter is roused. While I’m doing that, you and the voices can come up with a plan for what to do in case the door won’t open.”
word count: 512
Villains are powerless against story beats.
Avalon
General Staff
Race: Immortal
Profession: Enchantress
Renown: 0
Templates
Medal count: 4

Contribution

Staff

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:56 pm

Saun 35, Arc 721

Kalortah tossed Delroth’s daughter to the side and in the blink of an eye, they all found themselves within the dimly lit entrance passageway. The apparent exit had closed on them, and choices were made. Zana spouted steel feathers, spoke her decision. Arlo too decided to hold his ground. Kalortah called to his familiar. Moments passed.

The voice that had spoken to them, only spoke three words in reply to their various comments, remarks, questions, and ramblings.

“As you wish….”

Whatever was meant by that, the voice did not elaborate. Whether it was speaking to one or all was not apparent, but they heard the words all the same, and then the voice was gone.

Standing near the door, the notes sounded again. The haunting, beautiful melody that had played to them outside and again in the corridor continued to play, the same notes, over and over.

As Oram examined the door, he would find not one, not two, but six doorknobs. Each a different color, shape, and size, positioned randomly in different places.

Kalortah heard the geese and called to them, causing a honking commotion at the end of the hallway. Within trills, a dozen geese raced down the hallway towards the one speaking to them. Beautiful large birds with gold-tipped wings approached at a high rate of speed, enthusiastically chattering. They didn't seem to acknowledge so much his words but his presence. Kalortah understood them and their excitement, but all their voices were rushing together, words colliding, trying to tell him things that were happening and asking questions, simply happy that they could communicate but making it difficult to be understood.

Something about the music. They liked the music.

Strange people were mulling around, causing damage...

The other entrances….the ones the other people used...

Something had been stolen, and they were terribly upset about it...

Crying. They heard crying, and it made them sad...

The outside was inside...

Would he help them find the eggs?

The hallway split three ways further down...

It was a lot to try and detangle, even for someone that could understand them. The geese were everywhere. One was looking at Zana with beady little eyes, tilting its head curiously. One nuzzled Arlo's hand while another poked at Oram’s leg. For some reason, they didn't seem to bother Alyssia, simply gazing at her.

It was difficult to hear above the excited honking of the tribe of geese, but in the distance, the screech of an owl made itself known.

Zana - Objectives Met!

Marvel Quote! ~ You included a quote from a Marvel movie! This will have positive consequence at the end of the thread.
Fashionista! ~ You described a piece of character's clothing! This will have positive consequence at the end of the thread

Oram - Objectives Met!

Marvel Quote! ~ You included a quote from a Marvel movie! This will have positive consequence at the end of the thread.
Fashionista! ~ You described a piece of character's clothing! This will have positive consequence at the end of the thread

Arlo- Objectives Met!

Kalortah - Objectives Met!

Alyssia – We missed you!

Oops! You didn’t post this round! If you miss another round, you will be written out of this thread.

Info & Rules

• Now that we're getting significantly into the story part, any non-posting will have a greater effect on both the story itself and the other PCs. Therefore, we are adopting an approach of "two strikes" - miss one round of posting and there are IC consequences at the end of the thread. If a second round is missed, the PC(s) in question will be written out of the thread and a negative consequence will be given. If there is going to be an issue for you, please contact your mod or Basilisk at the earliest moment, in order to work out where to go from here.

Please note that these rules will apply to all players in this thread. When we move to the next stage of this Global Event, however, it will be a no-strikes policy, which Basilisk will make explicit.

Your deadline to post is Monday July 5th at .
  • This style of event moderation - with objectives etc - was created by a wonderful moderator named Crimson. I had forgotten all about it until I saw Peg used it here. Thanks to Crimson for the amazing mod style, and to Peg for seeing it carried forward for the enjoyment of future writers. It's a legacy very much worth continuing. Much love to you both!
  • You are all so pretty....

Objectives

! Message from: Must-Do Objectives

• None this round

! Message from: Can-Do Objectives
  • Name one of the geese or the collective - call it/them a name, give it/them a name, something with a goose and a name - be creative!

Deadline to Post: Monday 5th of July
Next Post: Tuesday 6th of July

word count: 968
Kalortah
Approved Character
Profession: Voice of Calamity
Renown: +420
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:32 pm

The building of anticipation washed all awareness of the other members of their group away from Kalortah's mind. He wished to see these magnificent birds for himself. He didn't truly expect a proud avian to bow before him, but the show of imperiousness was necessary to show himself as one of them, or so he thought. They said they liked music. They spoke of eggs. They wondered if he would help, and crying, they heard crying and that made them sad...

Kalortah wasn't often moved to tears, but the birds' pain was so palpable, even the Voice of Calamity was prompted to weep for his poor, golden goslings. He translated as well he could, those key questions and statements to the rest of the group. Hoping it would help convince them to act on the birds' behalf.

"Delroth gave me a gift to understand them." He said clearly but absently to the rest. "They have asked and said the following:

Something about the music. They liked the music.

Strange people were mulling around, causing damage...

The other entrances….the ones the other people used...

Something had been stolen, and they were terribly upset about it...

Crying. They heard crying, and it made them sad...

The outside was inside...

Would he help them find the eggs?

The hallway split three ways further down..."

Kalortah knelt on the ground, allowing one of the geese to meet him at eye level. He reached out a hand, allowing it to touch the Voice of Calamity if they would. Then he began singing, trying to keep in tune with the sound of the doors, mostly, since they liked that music. Perhaps they would be more inclined to calm down if he sang to them?

""Dry soil yearns for the Saun rains,
Below a flock of golden geese.

Atop the cold dark soil does lay,
The Fruits of the busy bees.

Flames flee far from the North,
Chased by ambition to shackle them.

Flying out from Faldrun's Mouth,
The call to seek out Glory's Den."

It was a quick adaptation of his song Saun Rains sung in tune with the music playing. But he thought the geese would like them. He looked at the one before him, and asked, "Where are your eggs? And what have they stolen? Describe it for me, tell me what it is, and I will be able to find it."

Kalortah pointed toward the phoenix lapel pin on his jacket, and smiled at the nearest goose. "Our lord Delroth gave me this pin. It signifies a promise to help and promote the love of birds, wherever I go. I am compelled to aid you in your darkest hour, if you will allow me to help."

The avriel didn't know if the others would agree to help, but he was willing to lay down his fate to help these magnificent birds.

"What say you, Golden Flock?"
OOC
Called the geese the Golden Flock. Not too creative, but when I read this I just had to post immediately.

word count: 510
Image ~ Image ~ Image

Return to “Parts Unknown”