• Event • The Mummer's Ball

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy, Squirrel, Basilisk

Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Cryptographer
Renown: +340
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6
Medal count: 11

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Mummer's Ball

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:59 pm

61 Vhalar 720

Yeva had hoped that the same effect Doran had on her in the classroom wouldn't have translated to the dance floor, but it seemed to plague her still. She ended up rambling and stilling her words equaled to the same difficulty of corralling cats. She spoke quickly, jumping between ideas both in her passion and girlish crush but he took it all in stride. As graceful as ever, he encouraged her and it felt as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She seemed to brighten quite quickly, "Really? Oh, that's wonderful. And I'm so sorry to hear about your student, but yes - that's exactly the sort of things I'm hoping to achieve! It's such a relief-"

To have someone understand.

A deep voice played behind her and she stiffened, "So, is this where we sign up to defend her honor and fight Betsy?"

Yeva spun around, the gown of her emerald dress swishing, "How about it 'Hero of Faldrass,' you know about me and fights?"

"Balthazar," Yeva identified, surprised to find him so close. His offer made her grin and she found herself glancing between the two men. Did they know each other? Was she expected to give introduction, "I saw you earlier. I thought to approach, but," she hesitated, resisting the urge to search for his date, "You looked busy. It's good to see you," truly it was. What was he doing on this side of the world? In Rharne, no less! She had to pick and choose her questions, stepping back to allow room between their trifecta. It seemed they had known each other, after all.

How did Balthazar Black know her alchemy professor?

So many questions, "You're not interrupting, we were just discussing a personal project," she held up her punch, remembering his jest (or was it?) to defend her honor and found herself warming up. Yes, she was aware of him and fights. The number of scars across his bare torso had shown her that and now the memory made her drink deeply. A moment to refocus her thoughts, "My honor is not a fragile thing," she added, "My heart, maybe.. But truly - I am fine."

Both of these men had been so considerate and it was a sweet gesture from both of them to check on her state. Balthazar spoke to Doran about catching up and she looked away, allowing herself to observe her surroundings. She noticed Varlum - how could one not notice - and was relieved to see him alive. Now that had been a trial for the history books and he had been so brave. Much more than herself, if she was being honest.

There were others. More curiously - one of them men seemed to stand out - not in the same way Doran did - but in an entirely new way. She wasn't sure how to identify it but... he felt familiar. The man speaking to Vega caused her brow to furrow in confusion. Cassion? No. When she watched him, faint whispers of Old Dust's memory lurked at her mind. He knew Cassion?

Yeva, realizing she must have been staring with a frustrated confusion, rushed to look away. It was as if trying to place an old friend one had not seen in arcs, but the redhead was positive they had never met before.

It was then that a flash of movement caught her eye. Standing not far away was Elisa, blooming a smile across Yeva's lips. Balthazar had been entirely right - there were familiar faces here! And how flattering that so many wanted to be associated with her! She lifted a hand, thinking the woman was waving only to realize what she was signing a tick later, "Oh."

Balthazar's comment about wanting to catch up, stole her attention and she was staring at the Attuner's face. Somehow using the nickname in front of others felt oddly personal. Catch up after? Like drinks? Or- "Oh." she swallowed, resisting the urge to fan her face around these intimidating men, "Yes, of course," Yeva stepped forward to embrace her friend, unsure if their time together would line up. She hated to keep him from his earlier company, "I'm sure you know how to find me should you wish, detective."

Elisa was still waving her over and Yeva looked back at Doran, pulling away from the white haired mage, "I think I'm being summoned," she joked, stepping towards the food table, "Feel free to come with me if you'd like. You're both charming company."

She hardly wanted to seem as if she was abandoning either of them, but didn't want to hog their attention the entire night if they had others to attend to. She smiled and to the banquet, Yeva walked, "You sure know how to draw the eye. You look great," Yeva greeted, unable to stop the semiconscious crossing of her gloved arms. Elisa was entertaining a stranger, whom Yeva nodded politely at. Boyfriend? Date? Yeva was curious and tried to ease her shyness, "Hello," she greeted softly.

What should she say? A compliment, or-

She noticed the plate Elmo was holding and blinked in delight, "Ah, they have scallops?" At once, brown eyes looked away at the table. So distracted by vindictive Betsy, Yeva had not noticed the appetizer her first pass by but recognized them from her time in Scalvoris, as well as the culinary encyclopedia she had been slowly making her way through in her free time. Between Faldrass, Storm's Edge, the Order, and her own research projects, such a time was becoming something of a rarity, "Did you know they are present in all oceans but never in freshwater?" She grabbed a plate, using a set of small serving tongs to lift on up. It had a lovely searing and looked nice and fat. 'I wonder how much importing these must have cost?' "They must have just come off the Zynyx River..."

It occurred to her a little too late how odd a fact that must have been, "Anyway-" she took another drink of punch and looked back to the duo, "I'm Yeva of- Sorry, just Yeva here," she shook her head, only mildly embarrassed by her slip up, "Nice to meet you."

"So - Have you two gotten a chance to dance yet?" she popped a scallop into her mouth and watched.

Delicious!
word count: 1093
Image Image Image Image
Please click my babies daily. I don't want them to die. :(
I'm a nerd. Sorry, not sorry.
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +760
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 27

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:23 pm

61st Vhalar, 720:
Round 3: Post 1
In The Beginning.....

Vega heard Betsy and her cronies chipping away, but it didn't give her stop or pause, she just walked away and they could watch her swaying hips as they dripped nonsense, as far as she was concerned. She'd done what she did, stood up for someone, and that was the end of that. Betsy - and her flock - weren't worth pausing for, so she didn't.

Doran

Vega firmly believed that things happened for a reason and she'd been struggling to think what reason there could possibly be for her ending up here. Things like this, places like this, events like this really were not her style and she didn't enjoy them but, when she spoke to Doran, Vega was moderately sure that this was why she'd ended up here. He looked absolutely delighted to hear what she had to say and she grinned at him when he responded to her kissing his cheek in the way she did.

"I'll look forward to that," she said, of them meeting up again in Emea, and she turned and made her way to where the musicians were setting up, pleased that she'd made a difference.

Arlo.

"Well, it's always on the cards," she whispered, as Arlo said that he was concerned she was going to punch him. "You know that, better'n anyone." They stood, just for a moment, her hands in his and their noses almost touching and Vega felt the world fall away - or, more precisely, she felt it get back to how it should be. Here with him, wherever here may be, was home. And, since he had been gone the better part of an arc? Vega hadn't been home in a very long time so she savoured it. Her eyes flooded a rare and bright gold as he stepped back just a little - but didn't let go of her hands - and looked at her. She was a marvel to behold? She grinned at him. "Well, I know that," she replied. An unusual response for her? Maybe, but then she added why. "I always am, when it's you what's beholdin', aren't I? I have to admit, you clean up well yourself. If we weren't married, I might get to proposin',"

Not even the thought of being asked to dance? Vega's smile was impossible to wipe off her face and, in fairness, she didn't try. "An' who's goin' to be askin' you?" Vega asked, with a chuckle. "We're not in the popular crowd, as ever, so we can be wallflowers, an' just enjoy things." Wallflowers was unlikely, granted. "An' besides, you know that we're goin' to dance," she said, firmly. "You're jus' lodgin' a complaint now so's you can say you didn't want to, an' hidin' that you wouldn't miss it."

She hadn't answered his question, though, and so Vega nodded."Right now, Arlo Creede," she said with her gaze on him, "I don't think I've ever felt more alright. Everythin' else can wait." And they could have an evening.

As she turned to look around, Vega noticed the woman who was there, about to speak to them and she smiled in greeting. "Hello," she said and, as Celise introduced herself, Vega was quick to offer her own hand to shake. After Arlo had introduced himself, she gave her name - not one Arlo had heard her use before, in fairness. "Vega Creede," she said. "It's nice to meet you," Vega was happy to be friendly, she had done something good for Doran, had done what she wanted to with the fiddle, because she wanted everyone to enjoy dancing and then, there had been Arlo. It was fair to say that Vega was in a fine mood. "You look lovely," she said to Celise, genuinely. "It's nice to meet someone new. Are you livin' in Rharne, or visitin'?"

word count: 728
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: +526
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 26

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:45 am

A somewhat sombre look was visible on the Mortalborn’s face for a moment when Yeva remarked that she was sorry to hear about his student. Sintih had gotten better during their time together, and the meditation techniques that he had taught him seemed to have helped him cope with his trauma.

In late Saun, Sintih’s nurse had forwarded one of the boy’s letters to him though.

In said letter, Sintih had told him that he had been there when he had needed it and that he had had a reason to live again because of him. He had thanked him and talked about meeting again, but that meeting had never happened. According to the short message that Lilea had included, he had died.

The news had taken him by surprise and shaken him.

Sometimes, he wondered if he could have helped him if he had been there when it had happened, if he could have saved him …

He decided not to mention Sintih’s fate to Yeva as he was not sure if it would be appropriate, and it might cause some awkwardness. Instead, he simply inclined his head slightly and remarked, “Thank you. If you want to, we could talk more about your project after the ball, or maybe during dinner. I would love that, in fact”, he continued after a short pause.

While Yeva exchanged a few words with Balthazar, he let his gaze drift across the other attendees for a while. It lingered on Vega whose words had been so unexpected, but incredibly appreciated – she seemed to have found her husband again, or at least someone that she was close to.

Following that, he glanced at the Ithecal that was almost twice as tall as he was for a moment – he knew several Ithecal, but he had never seen an Ithecal that was that huge – before he turned to look at the dark-skinned man that hovered near their group, alone.

A light smile was visible on his face for a moment. If it weren’t for the fact that Elisa chose that exact moment to approach them, he might have asked him if he wanted to join them then and there. He seemed to be curious about their group. Besides, nobody should be alone, without company, without someone to dance with or talk to, on such an evening in his opinion (unless they wanted to – which was perfectly acceptable, of course).

As it was, he pulled his gaze away from Richard again though, at least for the time being and turned to face Elisa and her … boyfriend? Or was Elmo simply her date for the ball? He appreciated the opportunity to talk to her some more. Their previous conversations had been fascinating, and some of the things that she had said to him had touched him deep inside.

“Shall we, Mister Black?” he asked Balthazar in a deep tone of voice and raised an eyebrow fractionally when Yeva offered to let them come along before he turned to Richard once more and remarked in a polite and friendly tone of voice, “If you want to, you can join us at the food table as well, sir. I’m Doran, by the way”, he introduced himself, hoping that his words would make the dark-skinned stranger more inclined to come with them in case he was shy.

“The scallops seem to be quite delicious”, he added, having observed the interaction between Elisa, Yeva and Elmo with a hint of amusement.
word count: 594

Mutations

Crimson lines on the back of both hands.

Sesser

Ever Alluring I: The bearer has an enhanced constitution, staying strong and healthy in conditions where others would wilt and fall ill. Scars never remain, disease rarely seems to visibly touch the bearer, and he/she recovers from injuries much faster than the average member of their race. The bearer seems to age more slowly, though the effect is superficial rather than biological. In addition, everyone encountered is subconsciously attracted to the bearer, even those of incompatible sexual orientation. Those of alternate tastes may not feel compelled to flirt or pursue the marked, but the spark of incomprehensible arousal, however slight, is there all the same.

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Profession: Element
Renown: +495
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:39 am

61 Vhalar 720
"Perhaps." Balthazar mused back to Doran when he suggested they might have some say in who they sat with. Balthazar did not think they would and he didn't particularly mind. The ball was an opportunity to meet people and Balthazar had no issue with meeting people. Some might argue he met to many people. He was glad to hear that Doran was open to speak with him later and that was all Balthazar needed to hear. They could organize the details of that event when things were moving a little less quickly. There were still dances to learn even though they seemed to be coming a little more naturally to everyone who was practicing. Balthazar seemed oblivious to both Yeva and Doran's surprise that he had opted to use a nickname that was actually longer than Yeva's name.

They both seemed surprised to see him in their own ways, Yeva's being more noticeable than Doran's. It was... good... to know that Yeva had thought about coming over to speak with him earlier but he didn't linger on it because the conversation moved on and the ball around them moved with it. He cast a glance around again for the companion who he'd promised a dance to but he didn't see her in the crowd when he looked now. His brow knit slightly in confusion as his eyes searched for the woman Yeva had thought was keeping him busy but when he did not find her after a few trills he focused on the two friends before him again. He was glad to know he was not interrupting the two of them and listened as Yeva briefly told him what they'd been talking about. He was naturally interested in what her personal project was but he didn't want to pry so instead he listened to what Yeva said about her honor... and heart. He thought back to what she'd said about his heart some time ago- right after the incident. "Well if she goes after your heart, we'll stop her." Balthazar said with a gesture between himself and Doran. He hoped Doran didn't mind being volunteered but he also didn't expect to have to act on it. Not at a place like this. When Doran mentioned the project again Balthazar's curiosity increased but he once again said nothing. They'd tell him if they wanted him to know. He was often coy in conversation to avoid revealing things and had come to expect it from other people- even when they hadn't intended it. A cynic... one would suppose Balthazar had become a cynic.

Balthazar couldn't argue with Yeva's notion that he knew how to find her if he wanted to. He could find most things that he set his mind to finding and a woman he'd once attuned to- wait had he? He didn't know but made a note to do so sooner or later if he hadn't. Even without Attunement, he had his ways. Elisa waved Yeva over and the Hero of Faldrass began to make her way towards Balthazar's other associate- offering a casual invitation for both the professor and the mage to join her. Doran's question prompted Balthazar to look around for Hinata again before nodding gently. "After you, Professor. I have to get something." Balthazar replied with a small grin before moving to the table for a drink. He filled two cups with a brew from a bowl on the table before returning to the group. If he found Hinata again, it wouldn't do to be without the drink he'd promised. Otherwise, he was glad that it had all worked out without any complex maneuvering. He was oddly quite when in groups, like a sponge absorbing as much of the conversation as he could so that he could remember it and use it to generate conversation if he was turned to for that.

"Elisabeth, you look well." Balthazar said after Yeva told Elisa she looked good. Fancy clothing, looking pretty, it was all new to him and he didn't know how to properly comment on it. Additionally Balthazar did not know Elmo, and so his mind quickly traced through the people that Elisabeth had told him she knew in their conversations while he was participating in various tournaments. Was this Lore? Her sword instructor? Balthazar would have liked to meet a sword instructor- and it was only somewhat because he wanted to poach for lessons a little. He was learning, but he was learning far slower than he was comfortable with. Yet something told Balthazar that the man standing with Elisa was not the sword instructor he'd heard about. Yeva's lesson on scallops caused Balthazar tilted his head slightly in curiosity. He looked at the little snacks on the table. "How can you tell?" Balthazar asked Yeva in a low voice as he took a small sip from his cup. It was only a few trills later that he realized she might not have wanted to elaborate on that so he just moved along with the introductions. Yeva introduced herself, then Doran, then, "I'm Balthazar." But that was pretty much all the mage offered to those who did not already know him better. However, the strangest thing was happening. As Balthazar stood, listening to the conversation, he seemed to sway slightly back and forth with the music like someone who wanted to dance but refused to give into the impulse.
word count: 949

Too Many Mutations For A Signature

• Mass Mutation Summary: He glows faintly, his skin is warm and sometimes hot to the touch, and when he gets angry sparks literally fly off him. He's a the middle of a field of static electricity so every once in a while when you touch him, you get shocked. He has the distinctive Attuner "puzzle eyes" and they glow whenever he Attunes. Fire leans towards Balthazar and droplets of water seem magnetically attracted to him. Whenever he uses Defiance, his eyes emit a soft smoke. He has a series of cracks on his right pectoral that glow of soft emerald.

Scars

• Element in the streets, Yari pretty much everywhere else: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks in Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Profession: Mastermind-in-training
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:21 pm

As Yeva started to move towards her, she sighed in relief that her unusual form of communication had been noticed. It would have been unfortunate to be thrown out of the Ball before things really got started. Betsy seemed to be that sort.

Yeva’s compliment caught her off guard but she smiled sincerely, replying. “Not as much as you! You look beautiful! I must confess, this – the dress, the event – isn’t me. I don’t know what I’m doing but I’m giving it a go. I also confess to being surprised by your companions. Doran, a pleasure once again…and Balthazar, thank you. You look pretty nice yourself…and wearing infinity more clothing than the first time we met.” Elisa couldn’t resist a call-back to the first time they met, eyes sparkling with just a little bit of mischief.

“Everyone, this is Elm. He is from Ivorian. We met a while back at the dress shop and he’s currently needing a bit of help hiding from his companion. I told him we might be able to keep him company…” Oddly enough, if Varlum had been with the group, he would have known exactly what it was about Elm that intrigued Elisa. Turning, she watched as Yeva and Elm partook of the appetizers, listening to the fun facts Yeva offered up and recalling that she generally spoke like that when she was nervous. Allowing the others to introduce themselves, she noted with amusement that the scallops seemed to be the hit of the Ball thus far. Gently laying her hand on Yeva’s shoulder, she whispered quietly, “Anything yet?” The comment needed no further explanation as she was confident Yeva would understand her meaning. It was her friend’s mystery and up to her whether she divulged anything to the others.

Suddenly remembering her conversation with Doran the trial before, Elisa glanced over at Balthazar and noticed his rhythmic swaying. Curious, she hadn’t taken him for the type that might enjoy dancing but then again, she didn’t know a lot about him. What she did know…was that she needed to talk to him about her necklace. Biting her lip gently, she moved over to Balthazar and held out her hand. “I have absolutely no idea how to dance but I think I’ve got the basic idea. Your toes might not agree after we are done though – fair warning. Would you dance with me?”

word count: 428
Seira Shiryu
Approved Character
Profession: Bard
Renown: +70
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 7

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Seira felt more than a little awkward just hanging out around her mother like a little kid would. But the thought of going out to mingle made her nervous. She and Seri didn't know anyone else here...and they didn't really understand the powerful, "fancy" people that would be comfortable in a place like this. Seri seemed as uncomfortable as Seira did, and part of her wondered if anyone would notice if they were to sneak out.

But neither of the sisters was willing to give in to that urge. Yet, at least. That would be letting Betsy win, and if growing up alone in Rynmere had taught them anything, it had taught them a stubborn determination not to give up when things got hard. So they stayed. The thought of the play that they would get to watch later helped a lot. It was why they had wanted to come in the first place, after all. And Seira wasn't about to let Betsy make her feel uncomfortable enough that she fled before seeing the one thing that had caught her interest about the whole event.

Seira looked to see if the person who had been giving dance lessons was still giving them, but that seemed to be over for now. Instead, some people had managed to find partners and were dancing. Dancing would be something to do, but no one had asked Seira or Seri to dance, and neither girl felt even remotely comfortable to ask some stranger if they wanted to dance. For that matter, actually dancing with some complete stranger was an intimidating prospect even if someone did ask them.

As she looked around the room, she noticed a familiar looking red haired giant. Seira poked Seri gently to get her attention, and pointed the woman out to her. Both of the girls were relieved to see her. The last time they had seen Ranger Vega, she was being arrested and dragged away...all because she had tried to make a very good suggestion to one of the ranking Lightning Knights, and point out something that was a potentially very serious issue. Of course...punching said superior officer had had something to do with it too...

Seira was relieved to see the woman again. If she was here, then hopefully she had not gotten into too much trouble for trying to help them. With a glance, and a silent "conversation" shared between them, the twins decided that they would go and say hi to the ranger. So Seira waited until she wouldn't be interrupting anything to tell their mother that they had seen Ranger Vega, and were going to go over to say hi. Then they did just that.

The ranger was talking to someone, so the twins waited until they wouldn't be interrupting anything before speaking.

"Hello, Ranger Vega. It's nice to see you again. " Seira said softly.

"Seriel and I wanted to thank you for what you tried to do for us at Storm's Edge. Are you enjoying the ball so far?"

word count: 521
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Traveler
Renown: +518
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 30

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Once Vega had spotted him there at the edge of the stage after having been absent so long, the possibility that she might as easily punch him as kiss or embrace him, was roughly a fifty fifty split. Once she assured him that it wasn't at all off the table, Arlo merely grinned. "Good. It means I haven't been gone so long as to not recognize the woman I love." He'd have been disappointed to have learned she'd lost any of her usual fire and fuss.

As for the suit, the shave and the trim, Arlo chuckled and shook his head while still holding tight to her hands. "Enjoy it while it lasts. I change back to my usual unshaven, disheveled self at the stroke of midnight. A regular pumpkin," he teased. "That's me."

The truth was that without his immortal father's once hat perched on top of his head, Arlo felt somewhat unarmed and out of sorts at the moment. Vega was right though about the two of them being wallflowers of sorts. If not for her and Vivian in attendance, he'd have been hard pressed to recognize any other face around them.

But if he had to dance, then there would be nothing else that he'd have, but to do it with her. "The rest can wait," he agreed. For several long bits, they might as well have been alone in the ballroom. But eventually they had to snap out of it, and so he squeezed her hand once more and followed her lead. Surely Vega knew more of them here than he did. Rharne seemed to have grown more populated in his absence.

He smiled just as Vega did when he noticed another had approached and was waiting. He nodded politely, smiled when Vega introduced herself to Celise, and followed suit. "Good evening, Arlo Creede."
word count: 323
Yeva
Approved Character
Profession: Medic | Cryptographer
Renown: +340
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 11

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:05 pm

61 Vhalar 720

Yeva lowered her eyes when Elisa returned her compliment, smiling into the rim of her drink. It was a simple pleasantry exchanged, expected given the social protocol she had read about in books, but a different matter to experience it first hand. She could count on her hand the number of times she had ever been called beautiful and all but once had been from one of her parents. Yeva titled her head at the comment of surprise - what was unusual about her companions?

Doran was out of her league, surely, and... Well, Yeva could perhaps understand why Balthazar might stand out but-

Oh, they knew each other!

Yeva's eyes widened slightly at the comment about the lack of clothing within Elisa's memory of first encountering her white haired friend. What a bold thing to say in public! She pretended not to notice the comment, smiling at the others, but it was a poor distraction. If Balthazar hadn't been wearing clothes, that meant-? Elisa had seen his body. The marks... Her eyes wandered and the proximity to Doran did not help. Imagination was a powerful and sometimes wicked thing when it wanted to be, forcing unintentional flashes of various states of undress of those around her. When Elisa began to introduce Elmo, Yeva had to force herself to conscious push aside a rather insistent fantasy involving Doran, nude, lounging in a plush armchair, smoking a pipe and grading term papers.

"-from his companion. I told him we might be able to keep him company…"

She smiled, nodded. What was she saying?

Company?

It only made sense to focus on something tangible. Something to distract them all!

And so Yeva gave her fun food facts.

Balthazar voice helped chase away the cloud of Sesser influence, "How can you not?" she replied rather playfully. Out of the group, she had spent the most time with him and they had been rather vulnerable around each other before, allowing her to chat with more ease, if only for a moment, "Between the two of us, I thought you were supposed to be the one with the grand eyes?"

Then, a bit more seriously, she reached for another, "The night of the Everdark Casino, Darius and I shared a meal together. It was spicy noodle dish with shrimp and scallops and mussels..." How much fun they had shared; before the morning revealed the fate of innocent children. She hoped Scalvoris would manage to heal one trial, "It's a familiar flavor. This is different, though. More... Savory."

And it wasn't nearly as painful to eat.

She was reaching for a cocktail napkin and setting down her empty glass. A soft hand touched her bare shoulder.

"Anything yet?"

Yeva's hand stilled. One key to be found on Vhalar 61st at Miss Austere’s School of Movement and Music. "No," she muttered, voice surprisingly level. She had not forgotten, but there was a cluster of nerves at failing. How would she know if she found it? "Not yet."

The complication was that the medic wasn't entirely sure how open she could be in her discussion and struggled to find the balance between eager chatting and discretion. Yeva had no doubts in her decision to trust Elisa. She hesitated in saying anything else, knowing how her concerns often shook her ability at secrecy. Her friend did not press her, and for that she was thankful, watching as the dark haired scholar extended a hand to Balthazar. Yeva tried not to look surprised.

Hadn't he a date? He held two glasses... but...

'Don't deny her,'
Yeva remembered her own offer to dance by Doran and had been thankful for the lifeline. To be uncomfortable and then denied? She did not wish such discomfort on a friend.

"Sooo-"
she motioned between herself and the professor, "What's brought you both all the way to Rharne? Am I the only local in our little group?"

Last edited by Yeva on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 681
Image Image Image Image
Please click my babies daily. I don't want them to die. :(
I'm a nerd. Sorry, not sorry.
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Profession: Element
Renown: +495
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:55 am

61 Vhalar 720
Lots of things could pass above a person and proverbially go over their head. Arrows had gone over Balthazar's head. Swords had gone over Balthazar's head. Fists had gone over Balthazar's head. Kicks had gone over Balthazar's head. And the fact that what Elisabeth said about his clothing could have been misconstrued had gone over Balthazar's head. He could have provided useful context for the meeting but instead he simply said, "Well I'm not likely to get blood on these clothes so I figured I'd do my best." Then he took a sip from his cup and didn't speak again until Yeva responded to his question about scallops with the remark about his eyes.

"Well my eyes are special, but I never said grand." Balthazar countered to Yeva before looking down to the floor. He'd realized that he didn't want to draw attention to his very clearly glowing eyes. He was fortunate the mutation did not wash out the details of his eyes completely and instead imparted them with a glow that seemed to fight to express itself from within the mage. He blinked a few times, wishing he had some method of suppressing even that. Prior to his... miscalculation... he'd been able to completely disguise his mutations and he missed those trials. Perhaps he needed to invest in one of those rings the mage hunters used? A trill passed and the mage shook the thoughts slightly from his mind before looking to those around him again with his eyes just a little bit more narrow.

Balthazar remembered the case that had come after the Everdark Casino more than he remembered the event itself. He didn't have fond thoughts of anything but the people he'd worked with and so he said nothing of it when Yeva explained where she'd had the scallops before. "Savory? I wonder what made it change." Balthazar mused as he looked at the scallops. He still had not eaten one. He didn't seem particularly interested in trying either. It wasn't that the food did not look appealing and it was not that he was not hungry, it was just that he really, really did not want to accidentally get anything on his suit that he could not get off- or at least not food. Blood and sweat were preferable. He was only interested in the quality of the taste that Yeva was describing. But he was curious about a lot of things. He didn't know if he'd ever gone this long without attuning to something and impulse called on him to attune to his cup. His spark, for it's size, still wanted to learn and Balthazar was surrounded by potentially interesting people to attune to. Yet he kept the spark under control.

Elm from Ivorian was the one who Balthazar wanted to Attune to most. He was new and he was from a place Balthazar couldn't remember going to so the mage wondered many things about him, but nothing that he would act on.

The strangest thing was that when Elisa asked Balthazar to dance and the mage finally processed the question, he looked to Yeva for the answer. He didn't know why he looked to her and if pressed he'd never be able to explain it, but the moment passed and Balthazar looked back at Elisa with an awkward grin. How could he say no? Well it was a simple, single syllable word and he'd become very good at saying it when people asked him to sing... but Elisabeth wasn't just anyone. She'd been supportive of him during his run around the tavern circuit and she'd seen him fighting to become the Champion of the Copper Price during that tournament. She deserved, at the very least, a dance. But so did the woman who he'd said he would dance with before. Normally he was good at finding people but this companion? She seemed to slip past his gaze every time he looked out to the crowd for her. Having done another sweep of the attendees, Balthazar set his cups down on the table beside them.

"I won't refuse but what did I do that lead you to believe I was a dancer?" Balthazar asked as he took Elisa's hand. The irony was not lost on Balthazar. He was proficient at dancing but not at dancing. A magical wonder and a mundane disappointment. Yet Balthazar took Elisabeth's hand because he had decided he could not refuse her. "I suppose as long as we both step on each other's toes, it doesn't really matter." And, if she still decided to go with him, he'd lead her to the others dancing so they could fumble through it to the best of their somewhat enhanced ability.
word count: 837

Too Many Mutations For A Signature

• Mass Mutation Summary: He glows faintly, his skin is warm and sometimes hot to the touch, and when he gets angry sparks literally fly off him. He's a the middle of a field of static electricity so every once in a while when you touch him, you get shocked. He has the distinctive Attuner "puzzle eyes" and they glow whenever he Attunes. Fire leans towards Balthazar and droplets of water seem magnetically attracted to him. Whenever he uses Defiance, his eyes emit a soft smoke. He has a series of cracks on his right pectoral that glow of soft emerald.

Scars

• Element in the streets, Yari pretty much everywhere else: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks in Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Gennadiya Lyosha
Approved Character
Profession: Physician
Renown: +313
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Medal count: 4

Milestones

Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:17 am

Gennadiya smiled at Lesley as he came out of his day dream long enough to acknowledge her presence before. The gathering was busy with others mingling and learning to dance but Genna had been to events like this before and Genna could tune out the others. Though as she watched the man focus on her Genna wondered if he normally was this distracted or if he was looking for someone. She did remember the story and while he did seemed focused he had also been looking for the very outfit he was currently wearing.

“Your choice is also splendid.” The Lysorian woman said with all sincerity. Her gaze admiring the man chosen apparel. As the conversation progressed and Gennadiya was asked if she would care for a dance her eyes lit up with pleasure. Genna actually did enjoy Dan ring and even at the events. “I would enjoy that.” Genna had known girls who would only dance with people the had an attraction to but Genna and learned long ago friends and people you general new were better to dance with and could be more fun. “ I would appreciate that.”

Soon they found themselves in a group which included their hostess for the evening and someone whose manners Gennadiya found much more preferable to Betsy. The well dressed young man named Eroim received her introductions and offered his own. Genna was sure some of the stuff shirts from her past would be appalled at her make an introduction for herself but Genna was here to have fun not to look down on people.

Introduction were being made all around and Genna gave everyone her open and sincere smile and the conversation continued on. Genna tilted her head as Hart mused about weather or not they had meet. Genna really didn’t remember but maybe they had meet in passing before instead of personally like this. Genna wasn’t a dream walker and had only heard rumors of such skills but even with those rumors she didn’t connect his comment.

She had taken in the heavy embroidery of his clothing. It was very attractive, different the what she would have chosen, or even her father but that wasn’t really the point. Hart appeared very comfortable in his clothing which meant that he liked them. It appeared that she wasn’t the only one taking in apparel. Hart extended his compliments to her clothing and she felt a blush come to her cheeks as she glanced down at her clothing. “Why thank you I was very pleased with it. And I have your outfit is very nice and expressive.” She said in a way that left no dought she was impressed and meant her statement it the most delightful.

“I wouldn’t mind switching.” Gennadiya said by way of assurances. “I am not a great dancer but have always followed my mothers advice.” Genna paused, “She taught me that only part of dancing or music was the mechanics but that equally important was you attitude. I love to dance and just so long as you enjoy dancing I am no to worried about.” She glanced around her eyes slight with excitement she glanced briefly at their hosted. Not sure what Leona thought her views but in many wars it worked for her. “ so when the next song starts we can dance and exchange half way through. And we can just enjoy the dance.”
word count: 573

Return to “Rharne”