Complete Dress to Impress

After meeting a seamstress at market, Yeva purchases a sewing pattern and with the help of her mother, learns some basics of dressmaking.

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Dress to Impress

19 Ymiden 714

“What in Illaren’s name are you doing?”

“Sewing, er… Trying to.”

“Looks like a disaster to me.”

Yeva looked up from where she sat crisscrossed on the floor, a stern look of exasperation flashing towards her brother, “Were you going to contribute anything helpful, or just make snide comments for no reason?”

From the other room, a man’s voice boomed, “Petyr, stop patronizing your sister!”

Petyr rolled his eyes, scoffing as he pulled away from the door with mutterings of disbelief. Yeva stuck her tongue out, smirking while his footsteps fading down the hall of their family home and refocused her attention to the scattered blueprints before her. When she had met with a seamstress selling her wares at market, she had been thrilled. Everything was supposed to be self-contained in the kit: threads and needles, buttons and clasps. She had even advised Yeva on the fabric choice, describing the differences in material and how it was important to consider the form and function of a garment before purchasing for creation.

She had only ever practiced her stitches; Making a whole garment was daunting but somehow thrilling. And the sheer detail the seamstress had gone into creating the packet was phenomenal! She had never seen anything like it.

Inside the envelope was an instructional packet, hand written in perfect print lettering. There was a key with a variety of dashed, dotted and straight lines, each with a label beside them, as well as some triangles signifying something called notches. Yeva flipped through the papers, not quite sure those were. The others were fairly straight forward after a moment of study - button holes, for instance.

“Momma,” Yeva shouted, struggling with a bundle of fabric, half spread upon the worn floor, half bunched in her hands, “Can you come here for a moment?”

“What’s wrong?” Hestia called, hands on hips when she peeked into the girl’s room. Spotting the madness, she chuckled in good nature, “What have you gotten yourself into, sweet girl?”

Yeva huffed, “I’m gonna make a dress, but I need help.”

Hestia was a skilled sewer, having made most of her children’s clothes over the arcs, and even more impressive embroidery artist. She laughed again, nodding in interest, “Alright, let me get dinner on the stove and I’ll help.”

“Wait! Is this the selvage?”

“Hm?” Hestia paused mid-turn, waving a hand, “See that band? It’s where it came off the loom, the threads are tighter there. Fold the fabric, right sides together and I’ll be right back."

Yeva flipped the fabric. The right side of the fabric must have been the side the looked right. Pretty simple so far.

She was reaching for the collection of delicate tissue paper, when her mother came back in, measuring tape in hand, “Alright, stand up and let me get a good look at you.”

“Right now?”

”It’s your dress, isn’t it?”

“I mean…” Yeva hadn’t even been fully convinced she could make a dress by following a pattern, so if they took her actual measurements it would feel real and so would the failure, “Yes, I suppose so.”

“What material is this?” Hestia asked, reaching out to run her hand across the texture, and then answered her own question,“Ah, cotton. Good.”

Yeva mimicked her mother, smoothing the cerulean blue cloth, “Good?”

“Yes, it’s easier to work with… More than a silk, chiffon or woven knit.”

“Oh.”

“More than anything, you should always look or think about the piece you’re creating and what its purpose is. This dress here is knee length, so it would fit the warmer seasons. In Saun, you don’t want to be caught in leather, do you?”

Her mother was smiling, causing images of sweaty limbs trapped inside armor to play in her mind. From the smell of some of the Lightening Knights in the taverns after a long day patrolling the city, Yeva knew exactly what her mother meant. She could still smell the musk.

“Now, come here, and hold your arms out. I want to get your busts and waist measured,” Hestia paused to look around scrap paper and a pencil. In Yeva’s room, alongside the books, pots of ink, and endless notebooks, there was a loose sheet and pen on the table, which she grabbed began to make her notations.

Hestia talked through her administrations, showing Yeva the proper places to lay the measuring guide across the different points of her body and manipulated her daughter as she saw fit. Yeva didn't seem to mind so much, using the time to ask her mother questions about the pattern piece, "Momma, how did you become a seamstress?"

"Well, my mother taught me."

"Do you like it? Sewing?"

"Hmm," the older woman plucked a needle from between her teeth and began to stab it through the fabric, "I do."
Last edited by Yeva on Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 824
Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Dress to Impress

19 Ymiden 704

Once measurements were complete, Hestia began to show Yeva the proper way to transfer the pattern using a bit of chalk, lining up the selvage and monitored Yeva while she attempted it herself, "Speaking of things we like," Hestia went to sit on her daughter's bed, fixing her skirt, "How do you feel about that Avriel boy?"

Yeva stiffened, "What do you mean?"

"I think you know what I mean."

"Azrael and I are just friends."

"Hm, does he know this?"

Yeva looked up sharply, "Yes! He does!" she could feel her defenses rising, always needing to defend her relationship with the winged man, "It's not fair how everyone treats him! He didn't-!"

Hestia raised a hand, calm enough to seize Yeva's attention, "That's enough. I was not trying to upset you, my love. I was only asking."

The question had been enough to shake the young girl and she felt an awkward shame color her cheeks. A beat of awkward silence, "Sorry." The room felt smaller.

"There is no need to apologize, although... I will admit I did ask with an ulterior motive."

Yeva lowered her chalk.

Hestia cleared her throat, "You are fifteen now. Sixteen in just a few seasons. You are a smart girl, and you will be so beautiful," she held out her arms, waiting for Yeva to awkwardly join her. They sat side by side, knees touching. Hestia leaned forward to kiss her daughter's temple, "I'm sure Azrael has noticed; Avriel do not make friends so easily with humans."

"Momma-"

"You are a woman. Others have noticed too."

'No they haven't!'

Yeva was beginning to feel mortified at the conversation, unsure its ending. Hestia sensed this and patted her daughter's knee, "My love, there is nothing wrong with being wonderful. You have such a good heart and you're clever... One day, when you see it for yourself, I'm afraid not even me, or your father, or Petyr or Isaac," she smiled, lifting Yeva's chin to meet her eye, "-will be able to fight off the amount of suitors you will draw."

"I don't need suitors," she mumbled meekly, uncomfortable, "I don't want to date anyone."

"Oh, I know," Hestia looked proud, "And that will make them want you more. A strong and lovely woman? They will stand no chance. Just... be safe, alright?"

"Safe?" Yeva's eyes widened slightly. Did she mean...?

Now it was Hestia's turn to look embarrassed, "No matter who you choose in your life, Avriel or otherwise..." she exhaled, "Just make sure they treat you right. They should have a good heart. They should respect you, and if they don't..."

Hestia rose from the bed, playfully lifting a fist, "Make sure to remind them if you need to."

"Momma!"

"What?" Hestia was grinning. Yeva knew that she didn't really believe she should swing on someone for as little as pride, but the message was simple - Hestia did not want her daughter to be walked on, nor did she want another person to dictate her worth. Sometimes, even if you didn't want to, there were things worth fighting for, "Well... make sure they can at least beat your father in a fight. You need someone who can hold their own." The blonde woman looked over at the pattern key that had been cast aside. It reminded her of what they had been doing before her 'talk', "Come on then, I'll show you what to do next."

She stood, bed creaking as she brought the girl back to their work. Just as she had learned as a little girl, Hestia taught Yeva to sew.
word count: 623
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: Dress to Impress

Yeva:

Knowledge:
Needlecraft
How to Transfer a Sewing Pattern
Understanding a Pattern Key
How to Select a Fabric
Locating a Selvage Edge
Taking Body Measurements (Female)

Design
When Designing Consider Form & Function

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: Yeva was adorable in this thread, and the opening scene with Petyr calling Yeva’s work a disaster and Yeva sticking her tongue out at him made me grin. I found it interesting that Yeva’s mother was named Hestia – because I have a Hestia in one of my threads as well!

You have a talent for writing interesting and lifelike NPCs. I enjoyed the interaction between Yeva and her mother and how Hestia helped her daughter with her needlework.

The details that you added to this thread – Yeva remembering the smell of the knights when her mother talked about wearing leather – made this thread even more entertaining.

I didn’t know that Yeva already knew Azrael when she was a girl, by the way. That was interesting to find out!

Poor Yeva. I can understand that the conversation about Azrael and her future suitors made her feel awkward. I found that part of the thread quite entertaining though. Hestia gave her daughter good advice in my opinion, by the way!

I liked the ending as well, and the thread wasn’t that short.

Those few words don’t really matter in my opinion.

As you wrote yourself in the review request, writing less than 1.500 words is okay as long as you don’t make it a habit. Sometimes, it’s better to write less rather than adding more words.

With that being said, enjoy your rewards!
word count: 286

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Rharne”