Extremely Rare - 3 known to exist.
: Feeds on Ether and Sparks, Strong against Magic Users, Mental Manipulation
: 5ft - 6ft
: 2ft - 3ft
: First Generation - Emea
: Throughout Idalos, based in Grand Fractures
The Zerfin are creatures of Ether and Magic, Shadow and Hunger with an appearance that holds these values to be true. Appearing as cloaked humanoid figures in the distance. They have cloaks of that are black in color, so dark that it appears to absorb all the surrounding light. Beneath the hood of their cloaks is what appears to be a white mask that that is so pure its sticks out, clear as day in contrast to their black robes.
The appearance of the Zerfin beneath their robes is still greatly debated by scholars and researchers. This is mostly due to no one who ever gets close enough to document their finds and survive the encounter. The current prevailing theory is that these creatures lack an actual physical body like the mortal races of Idalos, they have hands with long fingers but appear to be covered in black leather gloves. They don’t have feet or legs that can be observed as they hover just off the ground.
The Zerfin are found only within the proximity of one the seven Grand Fractures of Idalos. The Zerfin are tied to the Ether of Emea, thus are not able to survive outside the influence of the fracture for any measurable length of time. Due to the nature of the grand fractures, along with their origin, Zerfin are not able to stay inside the same Fracture for longer than a Cycle. After this cycle, the Zerfin will transport to another Grand Fracture. It is unknown how they transport between the Fractures or if there is an order to which Fracture they choose. Researchers hypothesize that they use the tear, in reality, to jump to another permanent tear.
OOC Note: It was decided between myself and Astronomy to allow Prophets to decide if there is a Zerfin within the a Grand Fracture. Due to their nature of transporting between them and holding no order to which Fracture that inhabits, they could be in any one of them.
Lifespan and Development
The origin Zerfin came from or when they were created is still up for discussion. None of the Immortals have admitted to overseeing their creation. The commonly accepted theory to their 'birth' follows the rumors and reports to their sightings. Believed to have been created during the Great Shattering. It is still unknown to if the Zerfin are creatures ripped from Emea into our world or if Emea corrupted something native to Idalos. To date, it does not appear that the Zerfin are capable of breeding or duplicating in any fashion.
No documented killings have ever been recorded. The following list are weaknesses that have come from eye witness testimony, either by the limited number of survivors to directly confront a Zerfin and escape. Or from others who observed these measures work briefly before the individual using said countermeasures were overcome and consumed.
- Bright/Intense Light, pictorially sunlight, has shown to slow and hold the Zerfin at bay forcing them to retreat into the darkness..
- Fire: Like sunlight, fire has shown to hold a Zerfin at bay and make them keep their distance. The bigger the fire, the better the effect.
- Aberration Mages: Have often said that they have the ability to harm the Zerfin. Due to the fact that they are mages that leech the Ether of others. There are also rumors that the Ether from the Zerfin is far purer and superior to that of Mortal Mages.
- Abrogation Mages: Though their shielding techniques have been recorded to slow and stop the Zerfin due to them having to consume the Ether used within the shields deployed to stop them.
- Attunement Mages: These magic users are able to use their spells to mask the spark within themselves.
- Cutting Weapons: Weapons that are designed to cut have shown to have some effect against the Zerfin, but only when crafted of certain materials and certain qualities of work. (Extravagant or higher. Materials currently are limited to Malorite)
OOC Note: It is generally accepted that the strong the mage, the better their ability to deploy these magics to combat/hold off the Zerfin. Example, a Novice Attunement Mage could mask their spark for a minute or two. While a Master Attunement Mage could mask themselves for like 25-30 minutes. This basic rule applies to all the various magics, the stronger the mage the better they can fend the Zerfin off.
The primary diet of the Zerfin consists of the Ether that leaks from Emea into Idalos through the Fractures that they inhabit. This Ether, while keeping them alive, does nothing for the hunger that the Zerfin is constantly plagued with. The hunger can be satiated for short times by consuming the Ether of the Mortal Races of Idalos. This Ether is purer and less chaotic than the tainted Ether of Emea. If Ether of Mortals would be considered something of a mundane main course of substance for the Zerfin, the Sparks of mages are the luxury dish that Zerfin will seek out. It is believed that these Spark work to combat the ever-present hunger for far longer than the mortal’s Ether.
When the Zerfin doesn’t sense the presence of nearby mortals that possess Ether or Sparks to feast on, the creature will travel through the Fracture seeking out sources of corrupted Ether to feast on. These sources tend to be closer to the heart of the Fracture. The Zerfin will sense a mage almost as soon as it steps within the confines of the Fracture’s influence. From then, it will begin to hunt the mage, seeking to consume its spark. Mundane mortals have an advantage, as they need to be closer for the Zerfin to sense the Ether within their bodies.
Once the Zerfin, has notices intruders into its realm it will begin its hunt. The Zerfin will begin to whisper to the mortal, attempting to entice the being into willing coming to the Zerfin. The closer the prey to the Zerfin the more ‘pull’ the Zerfin will be able to exert on the mortal. Without direct visual contact, these whispers are faint and soft. But with visional contact, over a shorter distance, the whispers are louder and hold more sway. The Zerfin will attempt to confuse the prey through the whispers, as well as the autonomic Mist generation that the creature possess. Upon catching the prey, the Zerfin will ensnare the mortal, placing them into a living dream. From there it will feast on the being’s Ether. This will last over the span of a day or however long it takes for the mortal's body to fail with no food or water. Unless this prey was a mage, for as soon as the spark is consumed the mortal dies.
- Mist/Fog Generation: The Zerfin has an aura of around them that creates a ‘Dense Mist’ around them. This ‘Mist’ is not in the physical world but only within the minds of others within the range of their aura. This ability is Autonomic and continuous, the Zerfin has no control of this ability to turn it off or on, it just happens.
- Whispering: The Zerfin upon sensing the presence of a mortal will begin to 'Whisper' to is. These Whispers are often suggestions, attempting to get the Mortal to return to the Zerfin, to take a wrong turn inside the Fracture, to stay in the fight, etc. The closer the Mortal to the Zerfin the stronger the Whisper.
- Ensnare/Trance: Upon physical contact with the flesh, a the Zerfin to establish a mental link with a ‘prey’ and placing them into living dream. This is the state that the Zerfin will feed on the Mortal before them.
- Jamming: Zerfin can Jam the spark of a mortal mage. This ability can only be done within visual range and within a short distance (20-30 feet) and will only last for a few moments.
- Ether/Spark Consuming: Upon being placed into the Trance, or living dream, the Zerfin will begin to consume the Ether of the Mortal. This will be carried out over the span of many Trials and ends with the death of the prey. The Zerfin does not provide anything to keep the prey alive and upon the death of the mortal, the Ether flow stops. Should this mortal be a mage, the Zerfin will consume the Spark
- Ether Absorption: Due to the Emean nature of this creature, it is immune to the vast majority of magical attack. Should a mage, attempt to fight and use any form of magic attack that is Ether based, the Zerfin will absorb the Ether within the attack. This also applies to any to any form of magical attack that attempts to alter or control the mental status of the Zerfin.
- Physical Durability: Being a creature of Ether and Emea, the Zerfin have been recorded to show great immunity/durability to mundane weapons from Idalos. This applies mostly stabbing and crushing weapons, as cutting weapons of certain materials have shown to harm the creature.
Isen Fydar - Rewrite
Astronomy - Collaboration
Reborn C.K.G. Love - Original Concept