• Closed • Alchemy; It's a Blast

Tio requests a lesson in Alchemy from Padraig

3rd of Saun 717

A satellite of the prestigious Viden Academy, this collaborative effort has truly been successful on Scalvoris and many great inventions and discoveries are made on a regular basis!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Tio Silver
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Race: Immortal
Profession: God of Curses
Renown: 665
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

Scalvoris Campus
3rd Saun, 717

Tio had never been the scholarly type. He simply wasn't the kind of person who could stand to sit at a desk for long periods of time and listen to somebody waffle on and on, he was too naturally impatient. Considering that, he'd never expected that one day he'd sign up to study at the Scalvoris branch of the Viden Academy, after all spending money so that he could willingly go and sit behind a stuffy desk all day seemed like the antithesis to his nature, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

The simple fact was that his skill at magic wasn't improving, and no amount of practice on his usual thralls seemed to be helping. Zavious had only taught him the bare basics about magic and necromancy before his initiation and subsequent abandonment, and so although the spark burned comfortably in his soul Tio lacked the knowledge to properly use it. His necromancy as it was now was shallow, nothing more than a flashy kind of puppetry, and playing around with strings wasn't changing that. If he wanted to grow he needed teaching, and a necromancy teacher wasn't exactly easy to find.

So if nobody else could teach him he'd just have to teach himself! The Viden Academy held knowledge of all kinds, magic included, and so with access to their knowledge and a quiet place to work Tio was sure that he could unlock the higher levels of necromancy of his own. Unfortunately the only way to get to that knowledge was to sign up as a student, and despite Scalvoris' generally laid back attitude to it Tio didn't want to reveal himself as a necromancer, so in order to be granted entry to the Metaphysics department Tio had enrolled to study a more socially accepted form of magic, Alchemy, under the guise of his Eidisi form alias Taelis Selvar.

Learning Alchemy seemed like a fine idea to Tio; after all it could teach him about the basics of magic just as well as any Discipline magic could, and he could potentially even apply it to his necromancy to create other effects. Unfortunately as the very first lecture had proven to him most of the coursework on the subject offered by the academy was just sitting around taking notes on a boring lecture, and it hadn't taken him very long at all to decide to just skip all the lectures and spend his time on the the more fun part; the practical side. It was well within his rights to do so; he was paying for the course after all, and was under no obligation to attend lectures he didn't feel like going to so long as he was able to keep up with them in his own way. The tuition fees included access to lab space and common reagents, so Tio spent most of his time in one of the student labs trying to perform easy alchemy on his own.

The results had been... volatile. Out of his six experiments so far three had ended in explosions of varying calibre, one had created a thick smoke that had left a sharp smell clinging to the laboratory, and one had made some sort of stew-like substance that tasted fairly nice but seemed to be poisonous in high doses. They were fairly impressive reactions, except that none of them had been anything like the reaction he'd been intending to make! Indeed it was a bit of a mystery how he'd been able to create explosions at all considering the reagents he used were only a cut above cooking ingredients.

After his string of solo experiments quite a few Alchemy professors had tried to teach him the proper way to do basic Alchemy, more out of fear of the structural damage he may end up causing the academy one day than anything else, but none had succeeded. It seemed that he was somehow completely unteachable, because at some point during the Alchemy processes that no-one could quite identify something ended up going terribly wrong and creating horrible results. It was almost fascinating how badly wrong things could go, as if alchemy itself had an issue with him.

Which was why Tio now found himself outside the staff offices of the science department. Apparently one of the physics teachers was not just an incredible alchemist but a great chemist as well, and therefor might be able to stop whatever disastrous reactions he was accidentally triggering. Tio knocked firmly on the door, stepping in only when he was called for and fixing the occupants of the room with a bright smile.

"Hi there, I'm looking for Professor Augustin. Is he around?"
[/align]
Last edited by Tio Silver on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 801
Fast Facts
Noticeable quirks your character can see when threading with Tio.

Floats

Tio floats in the air, usually just a foot off the ground.

Explodeibur

Tio wears a scary looking gauntlet on his right hand that is clearly magical. It creates explosions.

Mercury

Tio has a masked alter ego who leads The Court of Miracles.

Enchanting Voice

Tio's voice has hypnotic properties.
Padraig
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 939
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

In large part, it was a trial like the one before, and the one that was bound to follow it. Busy, chaotic, filled from dawn to dusk with one task or responsibility hot on the trailing end of another. Except that during Saun, there was there'd be no dusk to speak of. Classes to teach and classes to attend. Staff meetings, papers to grade, students to meet with and the research that went hand in hand with the pursuit of his own charter. And yet Padraig didn't mind any of it. He was going to be a father, and while that moment was a handful of seasons away, the revelation had admittedly brought on a mild sense of panic, it also filled him with anticipation and energized him in a way that translated into his work and research.

This was a rare slice of time between other responsibilities when he could focus on his own work. No staff meeting, no class to teach, and no students who were expected to be arriving for one on one consultations. The walls of his office, those that weren't dedicated to bookshelves that stretched wall to wall and ceiling to floor, were covered with framed star maps. A stylized and bronze mechanized model of the clustered collection of Idalos, moons and suns turned round each other on a small table in the corner. Of course the arrangement and movement were of his own design, not constructed by imagination but more educated theory and supposition, but he only needed to collect the data in order to prove its accuracy.

A large telescope was positioned in front of the room's only window, and a free standing chalkboard filled with hundreds of calculations was beside it. Padraig himself was currently seated behind the desk, pouring over his latest collection of observations. And then he looked up and frowned when someone dared to knock on his door. Faith was at Cally's, and he wasn't expecting anyone either. "Enter," he called out, and when the other man opened the door, Padraig gave him an appraising look, and the frown turned more curious. This wasn't one of his students. But he was fairly sure he'd seen him before. Passed by him in the hallways at some point? "You've found him," he said. "Come in, and shut the door behind you please." If the door was standing open, it was an open invitation for fellow professors and students both to drop in.

"You're not one of my students, I don't think?" he said, and then it struck him, where he'd seen this individual before. Coming out of the alchemy lab, professor Carter had pointed him out and had elaborated a little. "Ah, you're the alchemy student, yes? The one I'm told is responsible for the recent, persistent rotation of damaged lab equipment to new?" Lucky for him, Padraig had a private workspace at home and didn't need to rely on the university lab keeping its equipment up to date. Still, he grinned a little and gestured to a chair in case Tio was hoping for more than a brief introduction. "I don't believe we've formally met. What can I do for you?" he said.
word count: 557
Tio Silver
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

The inside of the office looked exactly like one might imagine it too, full to the brim with rows and rows of books and maps. The person inside the office however was not at all like Tio had been expecting. He'd heard of professor Augustin's abilities as a master alchemist and scientist but never a physical description of him, and so had conjured up the image of an old man with a long grey beard and flowing robes, like the kind of wizard found in children's books, to go with it. The man who answered however was young, roughly the same age as him in fact, and seemed far more down to earth than one would expect of a magician. He would have assumed the man to be another student or assistant had they not confirmed that they were indeed the one he was looking for, and so it was with a slightly bewildered expression that Tio entered the office and closed the door behind him.

He chuckled sheepishly as Padraig correctly identified him as the one who'd been blowing up a steady supply of alchemy equipment. "Ah, you heard about that huh? Yes I'm the one who's experiments have been a bit too... combustive so far. That actually has to do with why I'm here."

He sat down one the seat Padraig offered to him and returned the grin. "My name is Taelis, and as you've probably guessed I'm a new student on the alchemy course. The thing is though most of my experiments are going badly, often in a way that involves fire and/or smoke, hence the demand for new equipment all of a sudden. I've been asking around the alchemy professors for help finding out where exactly I'm going wrong, but professor Wox doesn't understand it either, professor Amers has always been too busy and professor Fried... well to be honest I think he's forgotten that I exist. I heard tell that you're a very good alchemist as well though, and a skilled chemist too, so I thought you might be able to give me a few pointers?"

"I've been trying to imbue straw with the property of being resistant to fire. So far it seems to be doing... well... the opposite. I don't suppose there's anything you can do to help with this is there?"
[/align]
word count: 408
Fast Facts

Floats

Explodeibur

Tio wears a scary looking gauntlet on his right hand that is clearly magical. It creates explosions.

Mercury

Enchanting Voice

Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

"How could I not have heard? Chances are," Padraig said dryly in response to his visitor's newfound notoriety among a good sized slice of academia, "There isn't a soul in these halls who hasn't. Maybe off in Rynmere and Viden too." He grinned a little, giving away some measure of amusement. After all, he'd had his share of mishaps when he was first starting out. In truth, things happened still, now and again. "Nice to meet you, Taelis. It helps to have a face to place with the legend."

Sitting down, Padraig considered his fellow professors with a thoughtful frown. Of course while he knew a thing about alchemy, it wasn't what he'd chosen to teach. "I've studied alchemy since I was very young, though what I know was taught to me early on by an elderly fellow who thought I might have a knack for it. The rest has been self-taught. Formally however, my focus as I'm sure you're aware, is physics." He could go into the reasons for that, why he hadn't chosen to teach alchemy instead. And in fact the man sitting in front of him, or at least his experience thus far, seemed to be a perfect example of why.

"Alchemy, at least advanced alchemy done well, requires a thorough understanding of, at the least, mathematics and chemistry. Without those two as a foundation, trouble is as good as a guarantee," he explained. "Either of them?" he asked, curious to know whether his visitor had much learning in those areas. "How many formal classes have you attended? In order to imbue just about anything, there are a number of steps to follow. Skipping any, or getting the ratios wrong can result in disaster."

The things to consider, Padraig explained as he sat on the corner of his desk, one foot on the floor, was the number of items used, the acquisition of raw alchemical material and its rarity, along with the risks involved in getting it. There was the process of purifying that material. "And each step must be repeated for each and every reagent you use. The target has to be properly prepared in order to then modify it. The application must then be done in layers, then fine tuned. With most imbuements, you need a primer reagent...mirror dust however, does not." There were triggers, accelerents and stabilizers to consider as well. "So, your fire resistant straw. What sort of reagent have you chosen?" Padraig asked.
word count: 430
Tio Silver
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

A look of surprise crossed over Tio's face. "Well... I didn't know I'd been getting a reputation already. Should I be concerned?" He thought about it for a while, and then smiled. "Ah well, there's worse things to be known for. At least it's a reputation for doing something fun!"

Honestly Tio had been hoping to avoid gaining any sort of fame in his guise as Taelis. Simply put he didn't want anyone to get to know him well enough to connect him to his real identity, after all alchemy would be far much more useful to his thieving work if nobody knew to expect Tio to be able to do it. But if it had already happened then he'd just have to be extra careful to keep his personas separate, and considering that his reputation was apparently for setting things on fire it shouldn't be hard to get himself a bit of privacy.

At Padraig's question about his understanding of maths and chemistry, Tio frowned and tried to think back. "Let's see... I can count as good as anyone can, so my maths should be okay. And as for chemistry, well I've mixed a bucket of paint before, does that count?" He shrugged. "I was never really one for formal schooling unfortunately."

He smiled again when Padraig asked about what reagent he used in his experiments. "Ah yes, I used the hide of some creature called a Golden Salamander! Can't say that I've ever heard of it before, but there were some strips of it available for use in the storage room. I sort of boiled them up with the other ingredients and... well... hoped for the best."
[/align]
word count: 293
Fast Facts

Floats

Explodeibur

Mercury

Enchanting Voice

Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

Blowing things up was fun? Padraig smiled dryly at the suggestion. He couldn't deny it. Nothing else had quite compared to the boyish delight he'd experienced after mixing up a batch of black powder, working a little magic on it, packing it all up in a pot, lighting a fuse and watching the fireworks when he'd thrown the things. He wasn't going to tell this fledgling alchemist that however. He didn't want to give him any big ideas when the small ones were still giving him trouble. Should he be concerned about his reputation? "I'd say you're safe for now, so long as the mishaps become fewer and farther between, and smaller with experience."

"I suppose it counts," he said, referring to that bucket of paint. "But it would serve you well, and others, were you to build and refine your math and chemistry skills some," Padraig advised. "The better a chemist you are, the better the alchemist. Alchemy is it's own sort of magic, but one of the practitioner's most valuable skills is chemistry. I was self taught in that regard. My only formal learning is in physics." But without some knowledge of chemistry, the other man was bound to carry on with his mishaps. A dash of this and a dash of that wouldn't do. Alchemy required the most accurate of measurements, refinement, purification and so on. Blindly taking stabs at the dark was bound to go badly.

He grinned again, when told that part of the process had been 'hoping for the best'. He'd done that more than once, with mixed results. "I'm not familiar with the salamander. But when choosing a reagent, don't just consider the part of its nature that you're hoping to tap into. Consider also those parts that might run contrary to your purpose. You might look into a sort of snowflake that was discovered in the ice caves a season ago. More importantly though, you can't just boil them all up together and hope for the best. You must begin," Padraig explained, "by purifying and refining each ingredient individually before ever combining them. Then, the measurements of each must be precise and you need a stabilizer. Also, don't mix your reagents, triggers and accelerants. Remember. Steps, layers and patience."
word count: 400
Tio Silver
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

If Tio was to guess at how the future was going to go, he couldn't imagine that his alchemical mishaps would fade in time. In fact if anything they might only get worse. Chemistry might not be so bad, but maths! Maths! That was a book subject, something that could only be learned at a desk, and was inherently boring! If there was one thing Tio knew it was himself, and the only way he might even consider doing the slightest bit of maths was if he could somehow make it amusing and only do the barest minimum possible. If maths was the only thing that could reign in his explosion problem then he really needed to get his fire-resistance enchantment sorted, because he was going to need it.

He nodded along as Padraig stressed the importance of proper measurements, stabilizers and the like, wincing at the mention of patience. Damn, he'd never been good at that either. Between that and the maths he was beginning to think he may not be out for alchemy after all. Well... any alchemy that wasn't supposed to be making explosives.

"So don't mix the reagents all together at once, be patient and learn book stuff. Yeah... I might be able to pull that off... eventually." Tio smirked. Now that he had a better idea of what he was supposed to be doing Tio was actually keen to have another crack at it. He stood up and offered his hand to Padraig. "Well thank you for the advice, I think I'll go give it another try. I don't suppose you'd be interested in joining me would you? If so I hope what you're wearing in non-flammable."
[/align]
word count: 293
Fast Facts

Floats

Explodeibur

Mercury

Enchanting Voice

Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

Padraig had once believed that books and book learning were dull. He'd been very young then. Very young and also impatient. But once he'd realized that magic could be made of knowledge, and the more knowledge the greater the magic, his views had changed dramatically.

These trials he drank in those collections of symbols, numbers and prose written or printed on paper like a man who was dying of thirst who'd discovered a bottomless well and fountain. The fledgling alchemist in his office would learn it for himself, or he wouldn't. "Alchemy," he said with a shrug, a slight smile, "is a trade, and it's magic. Whether your aim is to become a great tradesman or wizard, you'll be neither if you haven't got the proper tools."

Enough of that however. Padraig recognized the signs. He'd been there himself, and he hadn't listened either but had needed to learn for himself. "Tempting," he said when the invitation was made. "But regrettably, I've another class of beginners to teach." Still, he smiled as he straightened up from his half seated position on the edge of his desk. "I trust I've been some help though. Do try not to blow the university up while you're at it?" he said, opening the door in order to see the young man out. "Or at least, wait till I've gone home for the trial."
word count: 249
Tio Silver
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

The professor had a point, there was no way he was going to be much good at alchemy if he didn't have the other skills needed to control it, but even so just thinking about learning maths was enough to bore him out of his senses. Why did maths always have to come along and ruin fun stuff? One of these days he was going to have to hire someone to handle everything maths related for him.

"Yes, you've been a great help thanks." He replied, shaking the professors hand again as he followed him over to the door. "I'm a good 40, maybe even 50, percent sure that I'll be successful next time. But even so I think I'll take your advice and hold out until the university's a bit less crowded before I try again. Well in any case I wont hold you up any longer. Thanks again for the advice, and good luck with your lessons."

And with that Tio gave him a short nod of farewell and left, heading in the direction of his lab.

The next morning students at the Scalvoris Campus would arrive to find that a large portion of the student laboratories had been closed off, and that a sharp smoky smell clung to the air. Apparently someone, who the staff refused to name, had been experimenting late last night and caused an explosion bigger than anything they'd managed before.

The disasters that awaited the university had only just begun.[/color]
[/align]
word count: 256
Fast Facts

Floats

Explodeibur

Mercury

Enchanting Voice

Noth
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Monster
Renown: -370
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Alchemy; It's a Blast

Tio

15/15 Points Earned

Knowledge:
Alchemy: Requires chemistry to be good at
Alchemy: Requires maths to be good at
Alchemy: Patience is key
Alchemy: Alchemy tends to be flammable
Alchemy: Making foul smelling smoke
Alchemy: Refine your reagents
Alchemy: Make use of layers
Alchemy: Primer Reagents
Alchemy: Consider opposing effects
Chemistry: Helps to support Alchemy

Loot: None
Injuries/Overstepping: None
Fame: None
Collaboration: Yes
Magic EXP: No

Notes:
Excellent thread. Quite realistic in its portrayals of university life if I do say so myself, and I was quite pleased to learn so much about alchemy, and about your character with his apparent impatience, Tio. Looking forward to seeing whatever new explosions you manage to create. :D

! Message from: Pegasus
Same rewards (points and knowledge) approved for Padraig.
word count: 126

Credit to Pegasus

As a note: Noth is a Grandmaster in Intimidation. That means that he's at least as scary as the Count from Sesame Street. Beware.

"The tyrant confuses those he can't convince, corrupts those he can't confuse, and crushes those he can't corrupt." - Anonymous
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “University of Scalvoris (Viden Academy)”