• Solo • [Outskirts of Volanta] Fire in the Darkness (Graded)

A fire breaks out in the merchant caravan Leto had joined briefly to stay with on his journey...

41st of Ashan 719

This is a forum where you can write threads in the wilderness of the Eastern Continent.
Letum Septium
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Traveler
Renown: 10
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Outskirts of Volanta] Fire in the Darkness (Graded)

Timestamp: 41st Trial of the season of Ashan in the Rebirth Cycle in the 719st Arc
Prongs wrote: On his journey from his childhood home towards his destination, where ever that may be, Letum came across a caravan of people traveling the road towards the nearest city. As night fell, the large group of merchants, peasants, and the numerous other individuals that made the road their home went to make their various camps. Using their large numbers as protection from the wildlife and possible bandits in the wilderness.

As midnight came and passed, the young Ithecal was awoken to the sound of screaming. A fire had broken out on the other side of the tent city. With Humans, Ithecal, and members of the many races of Idalos doing everything they can to stop the building fire and save those who were lost among the flames and smoke. What will Letum do, will he rush to use his size and speed to help those in need. Or seek out the stream to the south and start funneling water to the fire fighting efforts. The choice is yours.
Letum awoke in his tent to the shouts and screams of many voices all around him. Shifting out of the bed real quick, he opened the flap of his tent, and looked outwards in the darkness. With the exception, it wasn't just darkness... there were flames licking the air on the far side of the caravan of tents he had joined with. Quickly getting up and out of the tents, he knew immediately he needed to help the people that were being consumed by the flames. He was one of the smaller Ithecals, but he made up for that by being fairly athletic, and fairly quick on his feet.

Leaving his belongings in the tent, and rushing forwards towards the area of the fire, he could see it was spreading faster and faster. People were running in the opposite direction, carrying whatever they could save from the rapture of the flames, as they jumped from tent to tent, embers floating in the air, and the air heating up immensely. He could feel the heat upon his scales as he neared the flames, and a little human girl was standing in the middle of two tents that were engulfed in flames, her tiny hands tugging on what looked like another kid. Where are their parents? was all Letum could think as he began to run towards them. The girl had to be only six to seven years old, and what looked to be a badly burnt boy covered with a blanked, so as to smother the flames that had been on him out, were near two of the in flames tents.

Letum approached her as quickly as he could, trying not to startle her. His eyes glanced down towards the other child and saw he was pretty immobile, and the little crying girl had been dragging him along as best as she could. The smell of charred flesh was in the air, and Letum saw two other bodies by the second tent, that looked like they tried to crawl out of the tent, but they were far beyond this life now. "Are you okay?" Letum asked the little girl as he approached. She was sniffling, and reached down to continue trying to drag the little boy away from the burning tents. Letum said, "Here, let me help you!" and quickly lifted the limp body of the boy upwards into the air, the blanket falling from his body. Letum could see the extent of the damage... if the boy was alive, which he gave no indication of, he wouldn't live for very long, or probably even live to make it out safely.

The flames jumped to and from more tents, and probably about twenty or so tents had been hit by the flames so far. Letum was in the center of two to three tents with the little girl near by him. "Quickly, this way!" he yelled, running away from the tent grouping, carrying the boy in his left arm, with the girl being toward along with his right hand. Hurrying up as quickly as he could without letting go of the little girl, the smoke was starting to get very thick. Thick enough to where he was starting to have trouble breathing, and was coughing a ton. His vision was also starting to become obscured by the smoke. The heat was getting to him as well, but he knew what he had to do, and that was to get to the edge of the area where the tents were exposed.

A few more meters to sprint, and the smoke suddenly cleared up. He was out of it. Turning back around, he saw a bunch of people in a group trying to move the tents out of the way, so that the flames would not spread any further. Letum yelled out, "Help! I have a little girl and boy that need medical attention!" One member of the group trying to get the tents out of the way turned around, and saw Letum with the girl, whom Letum was now lifting up in his right arm, as she had fallen limp from weariness. The member approached him, and immediately Letum noticed something peculiar about him. He didn't have any hair. Letum had only seen one or two of their race prior, a Qi'ora. His dark ebony skin was glistening in the fire's light, sweating from having assisted in moving the tents away from the fire while other's had gathered water to try to put the flames out. "Are they okay, Ithecal?" he asked in the common language.

Letum's eyes turned downcast towards the ground. Kneeling down, he set the limp boy's body down, and the Qi'ora could see that the child was gone from the lands of Idalos. "This was how I found him, his sister had smothered the flames on his body, and was trying to drag him away from the flames..." said Letum, letting out a hacking, hissing cough due to the smoke inhalation. Setting the little girl down too, the Qi'ora then said, "My name is Bik Tumar, Let me see them, my craft is in medicine. I'll take care of the girl... sadly, the boy is lost to this world..." Letum nodded, and then stood up as Bik knelt down. "Their parents, at least i'm assuming who the bodies were, were nothing but food for the flame by the time I got there. Perhaps you can at least help her through this trauma. I'm going to go see how everyone is doing trying to stop this inferno..." said Letum, and then began jogging off towards the people carrying buckets of water, and the others trying to pull the tents away from the inferno...
word count: 1157
Letum Septium
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: [Outskirts of Volanta] Fire in the Darkness

As Letum ran towards the group carrying buckets of water to douse the flames, he realized that they could only mitigate the damage and wouldn't be able to save everyone that was caught sleeping in their tents when the blaze took hold. Making his way towards where his tent was, having been on the outskirts of the camp, he quickly packed his pack mule, and moved his horse and pack mule further away from the flames, tying their reigns both to a tree so that they wouldn't wander off. Quickly making his way back to the bucket brigade, he'd grab hold of a stray bucket laying on the ground, and would start to pull water from the river, running it towards where the flames were, and dousing a tent with it. They didn't seem to be putting any dent in the flames that were already there, but at least by moving the tents out of the way, they avoided the flames spreading any further than they already had.

Letum did this until sunrise, working tirelessly to help contain the blaze. When the sun's first light breached over the crest of the horizon, the tents that had been burnt were now a smoldering mess, and the smell of charred bodies was imminent. Finding Bik, whom had the little girl laying on a padded sleeping bag, tending to a burn on her arm, Letum said, "She looks like she'll be okay..." Bik turned to him after rubbing an herbal ointment on the burn, and said, "She'll be fine... physically. But she probably will have nightmares about last night for years to come. The trauma from losing one's parents and sibling at such a young age... none should have to go through that, at that age. Has anyone said what started the blaze?"

Letum hissed a sigh, and then said, "No, none have said how the blaze started. They're all just trying to pick up the pieces of the campground now..." Bik nodded, then looked back down towards the girl. "I'll keep her with me, until she's rested up. See if you can find out what started the blaze, i'm quite curious."

Letum nodded and then went over to various groups of the merchants, and began to ask around. Turns out someone had seen some skulking figures darting in and out of camp before they went to bed. The person that Letum asked had just figured it was someone relieving themselves, and then heading back to bed. The more Letum asked around the more info he got too. There were some strange figures, some humans who had stopped by the caravan earlier the previous day with a nasty demeanor. Letum wondered why they would have started a blaze in the camp though.

Finally, he found one person, a pregnant woman, whom was tending to her husband's wounds, to which he questioned if she knew anything. "My husband was the merchant that they were being volatile with," she said after Letum asked her. "Do you have any idea where they might be camping, or have gotten to?" She sighed, and then pointed to the westward road. "You can try that way, it's the way they said they were heading. Though they probably have quite a head start on you now... If I were you I'd just leave it alone, the three men that might be the culprits seemed very... aloof, and got very angered easily when my husband wouldn't haggle his prices down for them."

Letum nodded, and asked, "Has anyone sent word to Volanta about this?" The pregnant woman states, "Yes, a group of merchants left for Volanta this morning, and another group is working to clean up the mess." Letum decided then that he would pursue the people potentially responsible, if for no other reason to question them about if they had anything to do with what happen. He'd have to approach the subject lightly, especially if they were quick to anger. So he went back to his horse and pack mule, mounted the horse, and started down the westward road to see if he could find them...
word count: 703
Letum Septium
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Milestones

Miscellaneous

As he was riding westward, his thoughts were on bringing the men to justice... if indeed they had started the blaze. He had no interest in trying to apprehend anyone whom was innocent of the crime. Riding his horse with the pack mule behind him, he'd watch over the horizon, wondering if he'd ever end up finding them. As the day loomed onwards, and the sun passed over his head, he'd feel the warm gentle breeze upon his scales. Eyes glistening and glancing around as his horse trudged onwards on the road, he soon saw a wagon up ahead, stopped and tilted to the side with what looked like a broken wheel axel. From what he could see there was two horses in front of the wagon, waiting patiently, and three horses off to the side of the wagon.

Three men were surrounding what looked like a man with a woman, whom was cradling a baby. The woman looked positively frightened, and Letum saw that one of the three men had a knife pointed towards them. The man standing next to the woman had his hands up in the air. As Letum got closer, he could hear some of what the men were saying, "...anything you've got valuable, you might as well hand over now!" That was the man holding the knife. Letum stopped short next to a tree, silently dismounted, and tied his horse to the tree. Taking out his spear from the holster on his back, he'd begin to approach the group, and when the man with his hands up saw him, Letum put a single finger up to his mouth, in order to signal for the man and woman to be silent, as the three men's backs were facing him.

As he got closer and closer, he held his spear in a defensive position, and just wen he was about a meter away from the man that was farthest back, he moved the spear forward, til the point of it was near the man's back. "Cease and desist now..." he said, pushing the tip to where it was pressing against the man's back. He slowly raised his hands and turned his head around backwards, as the other two men turned towards Letum as well. "Who the heck are you?!" asked the man that was seemingly the leader. Letum's eyes narrowed on him, the man to the left, and said, "My name is Letum, and I cannot stand by and watch you rob this man and his family in their time of need..."

The man laughed heartily, and said, "Oh boy, we have a real goody two shoes here, don't we?" Letum pushed the spear forward towards the man standing there, to where he moved forward so as to not let it jab him too badly. "I could strike your friend down right where he stands, but I'd rather the three of you just leave peacefully so I can help this couple be on their way..." he said, but then he remembered that there were three people that had been skulking around the merchant's camp a day earlier, each with a vicious temper. "You wouldn't happen to have seen that fire last night burning in the distance," Letum then asked, curious to see what their response would end up being.

"Yeah, looked like it came from that merchant camp that was there. Their goods sucked anyways, and their attitudes were even poorer..." the man said to Letum. "Now how about you just be on your merry way, and leave this business of assisting the couple to us." Letum shook his snakelike head, and said, "Forget it, as soon as I turn my back you'll skewer me and this couple while you can... and I can't allow that..." Even as he spoke, the man that was originally holding his hands up, had taken them down, and put a hand in front of his wife, backing her up to the wagon's back, and another hand behind him. As he did, he grabbed a sword that happened to be under some blankets, and began pulling it forward off of the wagon.

Letum waited patiently to see what the thieves' response would be, but even as he did, it seemed the skirmish was about to begin...
word count: 730
Letum Septium
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Milestones

Miscellaneous

As Letum pretty much provided a distraction with his sword in the small of the man standing in the middle's back, the other man began to pull a sword from the wagon. "I guess I have no choice..." said the man whom Letum was parlaying with. Before Letum could react, the knife he was holding slit the throat of the man that Leto had the spear to the back of. "Wha? what did you do?!" Letum asked, as the man he had pretty much held at bay with the spear collapsed, his mouth letting out a gurgling sound, as the life evaporated from his eyes.

"It's simple, I eliminated the only bargaining chip you had!" he then said as he lunged forward towards Letum with the knife. The man near the wagon pushed his wife behind him as the other bandit came at him with a sword. Their swords clanged, and he began to try to fend him off, and protect his wife and baby. As for Letum, when the bandit leader encroached upon his position, Letum began to back up, and pointed his spear in a downward direction, in a defensive stance. The gap between them closed quickly, and as it did Letum remembered that speed was probably his best asset, and in remembering that, he dodged to the left as the man's blade sliced upward towards his face. Narrowly missing Letum, he brought the butt of his spear upwards, under the man's armpit, and knocking his arm upwards.

As he did this, he began to spin the other end of the spear back towards the man, the blade slicing into the flesh of the tendon between his calf, ankle, and foot. Growling as this happened, the man lost his balance and fell to the ground. Letum's spear tip quickly found it's way pointed at the man's throat. "Cease and desist..." he then said loudly.

As this was happening, he heard a nasty skewering of flesh behind him. Turning his snakelike head to the side so one eye was on the bandit leader, and the other eye was seeing what was happening behind him, he saw the wagon man's sword skewering through the stomach of the other bandit. The other bandit had a surprised look on his face, twisting and writhing in pain shortly afterwards. The wagon man then pushed him backwards onto the ground to lay next to the man who just recently had his throat slit. Kicking his sword away from him, and then walking over towards Letum, the wagon man said, "Allow me..." before thrusting his sword into the bandit leader's stomach.

Letum gasped, and said, "He was injured, and couldn't move, you should have gotten the authorities or something..." The man looked towards Letum, and Letum tensed up, half expecting him to try attacking him. "Don't worry, I thank you for your assistance. The name is Roger. And as for the authorities... out here in the wild, they are few and far between and men of my nature have to be weary enough to deal with bandits without the authorities. Had I not been transporting my family and goods to Yaralon, this wouldn't have happened..."

It would take Letum a moment or two to come up with a response to the man...
word count: 559
Letum Septium
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Milestones

Miscellaneous

After a few moments of deliberation, Letum looked towards the man, and said, "Oh, I see, well, it's okay, they are fine now. Do you need help with your wagon?" After he asked the man this, he looked towards the wheel that was lying on it's side on the ground, the axel having broken. "You might need a carpenter to fix that sir..." he then said. Roger looked towards him and then said, "Yeah, we're going to have to pack as much as we can on the horses, and then head out from there." Letum nodded. "I could help you get set up for that if you wish?" he then asked.

Roger shook his head. "No, you've done enough. I'll take care of these cretin's corpses, and then pack up and head out. You'd best be on your way wherever it is that you're heading..." Letum nodded, and then turned around to make his way back to his horse. Mounting it, and then grabbing the rope to the pack mule, he began his treck outward towards Yaralon. Passing by Roger and his family again, he saw the bodies were not longer there, but the bloodstained the road fairly decently. Having wiped his spear off and returned it to his holster, Letum continued forth on his journey towards Yaralon, many a thought in his head about what Roger said about... needing to be prepared for the road. Letum thought he was fairly prepared to be journeying by himself, but then again he was mostly journeying with the merchant caravan. Not necessarily by himself...
word count: 270
Werewere
Race: Lotharro
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Review Is In!
Letum Septium
Knowledge:
Polearm: Spear: Spear defense
Polearm: Spear: Threaten at someone's back
Stealth: Sneaking up to bandits
Stealth: Horses need to stay back to sneak
Endurance: Doing a small skirmish
Tactics: Take a hostage

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: 5 Renown

Alright, as this was your first request I went ahead with your knowledges. I do want to note a few things to help you out, as your thread was nicely done for your first one.

1) I recommend doing your own knowledges, as you may find people do not like doing extra work on reviews. Reviewers are volunteers and it is best to make their lives easier.

2) In combat, you should never have your spear point facing away from the enemy. The best thing about a spear is the threat of the point, if you point it down then the threat is gone. I have fought people who have done this, and nearly snapped the ash wood of their staffs when I stomped on them. (I have martial arts experience including longsword tournament fencing and armored pit fighting)

3) You can break up plots to make it easier for you, most people do this going for around 1500-2000 words a thread. This way you get the 6 knowledges and 10 skill points.

I really enjoyed your thread, I do hope to see more of your writing in the future.

Any injures are based on a 1d100 roll using applicable skills
word count: 258
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Eastern Plains”