• Memory • First Meetings

This is a forum where you can put travel threads, wilderness threads not included in city forums and where you can find lore for cities without mods.

Moderators: Aegis, Tempest, Ghoul

Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: +215
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 4
Medal count: 2

Contribution

First Meetings

Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:23 pm

49th of Zi'da, Arc 712

Praetorum was not an Ithecal unaccustomed to feeling small. His mother had had at least a few inches on him all his life, as did her entire extended family. But standing now before his new teammates, a pair of Thiusssums that stood head and shoulders above him, he couldn't help but feel inadequate, somehow. 

Fates only knew what Kaldwyn was thinking. The young human had a proud streak as wide as an Ithecal was tall, and had been sensitive about his smaller size for as long as Praetorum had known him. 

One of them leaned over her shield, tipping her head to the side. "What are you supposed to be?" She asked Praetorum, eyeing his orange hide and webbed fingers. 

Praetorum tilted his head back, looking down his snout at her. "A legionnaire. Same as you." He retorted, annoyance seeping into his voice despite his best attempts. Mixed Ithecal were not all that common in Korlasir, or in the empire as a whole, so Praetorum was used to puzzled reactions to his appearance. There was rarely any suspicion or disdain in it, but it grew tiresome, answering the same question over and over again. 

The woman laughed, and the other Thiussum rolled his eyes, patting the dog that stood at his side. "Be nice." He scolded, nudging the woman, and extended a hand to Praetorum and Kaldwyn. "I'm Cassius. This is Cassandra. And this is Bane." He gestured down at the dog, who barked happily.

Siblings, Praetorum thought as he took Cassius's hand. Twins. The thought made his heart pang. He missed Serinus, when he had the energy to. 

"So, you're to be our new teammates, are you?" Cassandra nearly purred, grinning widely. "Care for a bit of a spar? Just to get a feel for one another, before we start training in earnest."

Oh dear. 

There was too much of a challenge in her tone for that to go unanswered. As he'd expected, that set Kaldwyn off, and the human took a step forwards, thrusting his chin out. "If you think you can keep up with us, sure. I'm Kaldwyn. This is Praetorum."

Kaldwyn's fire seemed to delight Cassandra. "Alright then!" She laughed. "Since you two already know each other, two on two it is." She grinned broadly. "Meet you in the ring."
word count: 413
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Re: First Meetings

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:32 pm

"I cannot believe—" Praetorum gave his armour one final once over, before firmly settling his helmet on his head "—that you decided the first thing we should do with our new teammates is fight." 

"Hey! She challenged me. What was I supposed to do, back down?" Kaldwyn retorted, scowling. He had his arms folded across his chest, and his fingers were tapping out an agitated beat on his armor. Praetorum had known this man long enough by now to tell that meant he was nervous, and trying to hide it under a mask of confidence. Poor human "Don't pretend you wouldn't have done the same in my shoes."

"I don't wear shoes." Praetorum informed him. "But I take your point. Right, lets get this over and done with."

The two stepped out into their tent, and made their way to the training ring where the Thiussum siblings were waiting. Both wielded gladii along with their shields, Prae noted, while he and Kaldwyn both used polearms; the scythe and spear respectively. Normally, that would give them the superior range, but these were Thiussums, over nine feet tall each. "Do you think we should try to keep them at range?" He asked anyways.

"Yeah." Kaldwyn said, nodding. "Let's do that. Spear's more effective at mid range than the gladius is."

Praetorum nodded, slightly amused. They both knew Prae was telling him, not asking, but as long as Kaldwyn got to keep his pride intact, he was more than happy to listen to Prae's suggestions; after all, between the two of them, Praetorum was the more tactical minded from his early training with his family. 

These sorts of training fights and spars were common enough that typically, no one in the camp paid them any mind unless they started to get out of hand. So when the two stepped into the ring, it struck Praetorum as strange that there was someone standing a little ways away, watching them carefully. This one was a human man, well into his middle age. He was dressed in a plain tunic and breeches, so Prae couldn't tell what rank he was, or if he was even a soldier at all. Well, given the man's many scars, he was probably another legionnaire. Praetorum elected not to say anything about him; Kaldwyn hadn't noticed him yet, and he didn't want to distract the younger human just before their fight. 

"Alright, then!" Cassandra told them cheerfully, raising her gladius in a salute. "Standard sparring rules; mimic a killing blow, and your opponent is out. Marco here will be the judge. You two ready?"

Praetorum and Kaldwyn both raised their shields in lieu of an answer, and Cassandra laughed, doing the same. The judge stepped forwards, and raised a hand.

"Begin!"
word count: 478
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 pm

Prae would have been lying if he'd said he didn't expect this, but it was still something of a shock to see both Cassandra and Kaldwyn lunge immediately for each other. They were both of them filled with more pride than sense, Praetorum concluded. Cassandra had separated herself from her partner, leaving her in a two on one fight for those vitally important first few trills, whereas Kaldwyn had drawn the entire attention of a fighter twice his bloody weight, and even worse, closed the distance between himself and his quarry when his only advantage over her was range. 

He glanced up, locking eyes with Cassius across the ring. There was a moment of exasperated understanding between the two, an unspoken commiseration between two sensible men forced to wrangle their idiot allies. 'You see what I have to deal with?' Their eyes said. 'I do. It's a hard life for those such as us, forced to work around the follies of others. I'm glad that we, of course, have no such problems of foolhardiness.'

Then the moment was over, and Prae broke off eye contact with the other Ithecal, throwing himself into the fray. Ignoring Cassius, still a few paces away, Prae swept his scythe towards Cassandra's exposed right leg, taking advantage of her intense focus on Kaldwyn to try and get a good, properly debilitating strike in. If he could get a good strike in at her hip, that might slow her down enough for one of them to get a slice to her neck. 

The training weapons the legion had them use for these exercises were wooden and blunted, but were much heavier than the real weapons would be; partially to build up their strength as they trained so that in real combat their weapons would feel light in comparison, and partially, it was rumored, because those who had earned Raskalarn's favor would be able to imbue their weapons with greater weight and force, and these weapons mimicked that rather well. 

Whatever the reason, it worked out in their favor in this case. The long reach of the weapon, and the weight of the 'blade' meant that when he got in a long, uninterrupted swing, the impact was closer to a horse's kick than an ithecal's blow. His training scythe crashed into Cassandra's leg, and she grunted, dropping down to one knee. 

There was a flash of movement in the corner of Praetorum's eye, and he raised his shield on instinct, feeling the impact against the metal before he ever got a good look at what hit him. Shoving roughly back with his shield, he saw that Cassius had made his way to them. That was fine, Praetorum could hold him off while Kaldwyn finished off Cassandra. Then the two of them could—

Before he even finished the thought, Kaldwyn approached Cassandra to deliver the finishing blow, only to be caught off guard when she surged upwards towards him, gladius flashing out faster than Prae could follow from this angle. Prae's eyes widened under his helmet, and he scrambled backwards to buy himself some time and space. Had Cassandra been feinting? Apparently so: Kaldwyn was on the floor, and the twins were now advancing on him. They'd turned the tables in a matter of trills, he realized with admiration. 

Well, there was nothing for it. Boldness in battle, that was his mother's philosophy. The question was, should he target Cassius or Cassandra? If he'd gotten a better look at their capabilities.... no use complaining now. Cassandra was already injured, so he'd go for her. With his shield raised between himself and Cassius, Prae lunged forwards, his scythe darting forwards in an aggressive thrust that bounced off of Cassandra's shield. She stepped back, and he manuvered forwards, pressing his advantage. 

That was a mistake, he realized the moment he did it. Cassandra hadn't been moving away from his attacks; she'd been moving away from her brother. And Prae had just stepped between them, like an idiot. Whirling around, he raised his shield to block an incoming attack from behind, sweeping with his scythe to try and keep Cassandra away. 

He felt the scythe jar against his hand as something impacted it; then Praetorum yelped, grabbing on as the scythe was very nearly pulled from his hand. When he tried to pull it back, he found Cassandra's grip on it was secure, and was forced to let it fall as she stabbed at him with her gladius. Praetorum tried to dart out of the way, only to find himself being swept off his feet by a thick tail. Within trills, there was a blade at his throat, and a foot on his chest. Above him, the twins grinned cheekily, before backing off and letting him get to his feet. 

"That's a match." The judge said, somewhat unnecessarily. "I see we've got quite a lot to work on. Well, never fear; I'll have you two in fighting form soon enough." 

Kaldwyn, sulking as he rolled his shoulders, frowned at the other human suspiciously. "Wait, what exactly do you mean by that?"

"I mean —" the human straightened up, looking down his nose at Kaldwyn and Prae, for all that both were taller than him "— that as your quinctus, I'm going to be in charge of your training from now on. So come on. The five of us are going on a run; and then after that, we'll talk tactics. By the time I'm through with you two, you'll be able to hold your own against Cassandra, no problem."
word count: 960
Aegis
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 14

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:55 am

[anchor=OptionFour][/anchor]
Thread Review
I always enjoy watching my favorite tank in the making training. You're quite descriptive without being lost in the description. Well done.

Word Count: 1851
Review Request Link: viewtopic.php?f=242&t=16103&p=112721#p112728
Praetorum
  • Skill Points - 10
  • Renown - 0
  • Skill Knowledges
    1. Leadership: Letting others keep their pride while following your suggestions
    2. Strength: Using heavy training weapons is a good work out
    3. Polearm (Scythe): Fighting with a weighted weapon
    4. Polearm (Scythe): Using the length of a weapon to increase the force of a swing
    5. Shield (Tower Shield): Blocking on instinct
    6. Shield (Tower Shield): Can’t block an attack from two sides
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
  • Items and Other Rewards
Player 2
  • Skill Points -
  • Renown -
  • Skill Knowledges
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
  • Items and Other Rewards

Final Notes

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Code: Select all

[center][img]http://standingtrials.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=12064[/img][/center]
word count: 184

Return to “Eastern Plains”