• Graded • Cradle to the Grave

A partnership reestablished

46th of Zi'da 717

With the escalation of hostilities between Etzos and Rhakros, a series of small walled towns is being established as a network of early warnings and defenses against Rhakros' reprisals. Only the very bravest and most formidable of characters should risk themselves on the Witches' Wilds frontier.

Moderator: Basilisk Snek

Zip
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Professional Scowler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Cradle to the Grave

46th Zi'da 717

There was a way things worked in the shadows of Etzos.

Just because everyone knew the Black Guard were corrupt pieces of corrupt so corrupt they corrupted everything they corrupted like a corrupt chicken laying a set of nice, oval batch of corrupted eggs that hatched into corrupted chicks didn’t mean every so-called officer of the law wanting to make a quick buck on the side could brandish their means of illicit side income willy nilly. There were unspoken rules, necessary precautions, a brand of street etiquette that often trailed into its own set of needless complexities and, above all else, a kind of discretion that meant whoever would mind wouldn’t see, and whoever wouldn’t mind wouldn’t see either. Just in case.

Out of sight was, as far as the civilized world was concerned, very much out of mind.

Out of all these unspoken rules and laws of the street, Zipper held one particular rule above all else for her own sanity: bring a fuckin’ referral.

It was a little professional gesture that so few seemed to understand. Nobody was looking for a character witness speaking to their good nature in the grim and the murk, but they did needed to know a guy who knew a guy, one that would attest to both competence and a certain kind of ‘integrity’. She didn’t take walk-ins, she didn't take unknown parties on her own terms, and she didn’t take upstarts with no credit to their name or their deeds.

In short, she didn’t take amateurs and, by extension, fools.

One Divinya, a necromancer, in particular proved to be both. She was very persistent in pushing forward. Claiming to be filling in for dear Marrow, a long-time client and hedge necromancer and, even if she would never say it out loud, an even longer time friend, on their usual transactions, she had offered no proof, no proper resume, no backing, no anything that suggested that she was anything more than yet another hedge mage who had slipped through the state’s paws and would soon be dragged into the fold. She had even considered reporting her just for her insolence - but that was a line she wouldn’t cross for a varied number of reasons. Reasons that were in part the pragmatism of not being known as a snitch to other clients with an illegal mage or two on the side, long-simmering spite at her self-appointed masters, and, for lack of a better word, principle.

Divinya had barged in on another transaction with all the finesse of a bull, claimed that she hadn’t been delivering on the product in the last 2 seasons, and basically threatened her with some nebulous sounding boss.

The Ether Missile warning shot was well-earned.

Little fanfare on that end was had for awhile… until said nebulous sounding boss came calling. And lo and behold, she did know him.

“Hey bird,” Zipper said, sitting on one end of the table in the Red Roof Inn. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Bird?” Noth raised an eye at the expression. “The usual, I’m afraid. Business.”

“Of which we have none at the moment,” Zipper said, gesturing towards the seat opposite to the self-styled Prince of Eternal Mercies. “Or so I was led to believe.”

He tsked, taking a seat, armor clanking as he sat. “Ah, and that is our primary issue. Where is our business, Zipper?”

“When a strange woman comes into your place of business, claims to have taken over all responsibilities for your prior client, and refuses to disclose anything or offer proof of inherited responsibilities, can you blame a girl for a big, fat no to her face?”

“She’s a necromancer.”

“Barely.” Zipper whispered under her breath. Whispered very loudly.

“You know how they are.”

“Secretive, distrusting, kinda grimey, ever ready to throw around insinuations that you’re the next piece in their collection.” Zipper said with a small, exasperated smile. “But I liked the last one a lot better. Where be Marrow, Prince? Where be the prized necromancer?”

“He’s been notably absent for some time. I know not his whereabouts. He abandoned his… beings, however.”

Boxcode credit: Yolande
Last edited by Zip on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 717
ImageImageImage
Noth
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Monster
Renown: -370
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Cradle to the Grave

A brief flicker of… flashed across Zipper’s face. Regret? Melancholy? A dash of wistfulness? It was too quick to properly gauge. Perhaps it was simply a reflection of his own feelings on the matter, a sort of disappointment that they had been abandoned by the talented necromancer, left to rot in the dark like one of his many abominations.

“Damn shame,” Zipper said. If there had actually been any feelings on the matter, she had recovered quickly. “Even more of a damn shame that Divinya can’t play with his toys. He’s got some very special dildos in the basement, and they’re all built for a whole lot of fuckin’ things up.”

“Oh, you’ve seen the worms?” The hybrid chuckled mirthlessly to himself, leaning forward onto the table, gauntlets gripping onto the wood with unnecessary force as he stabilized himself. She tried to hide it, but Zipper still jumped with a bit of a start at the forceful gesture. Good. As much as she tried to project an air of casual confidence, he knew he scared her at least a bit. It was better that way, frightened people rarely made quite so many mistakes.

“The worms, the revenant, the stitchborn-” Zipper smiled, as if looking back on a fond childhood memory. “It’s all very pompous, isn’t it? Very grand names for creatures digging in the murk. Did he ever get to the proxy? The one that could channel necromantic taint? A rot, rot lord or rot paladin or something. ”

The twilight hybrid considered that question, images of the assorted creatures and abominations he had come across flickering through his mind, a showy display of death-dealing monstrosities, each one displayed with its strengths and weaknesses.
“If he did, then I don’t know where it is. The cave runs deep, but he rarely left his laboratory. All I’ve seen are the worms and the… Maimers.” He scoffed slightly at the name choice, finding it relatively childish now that he was out of the presence of Marrow. It was like a boy with a heightened sense of imagination naming his action dolls.

“Well, he makes horrible wonders, I’ll give him that.”
Zipper said, tapping the table as if calling for a silent trill for a friend gone. “But on to business: you have what I assume to be a menagerie that has no necromancer powerful or skilled enough to steer, a successor to Marrow so green she could camouflage in a pool of bile, and a lack of the extra arcane joo-joo to continue making new ones. How close am I?”

“Farther than you think. Divinya certainly isn’t as experienced as our late friend, but she is capable of creating her own creatures, albeit not on the same level as Marrow.” Crimson eyes locked onto her own for an instant, a curious line of reasoning questioning whether or not she was sniffing him out for weakness, intending to see what issues arose within his organization of misfits and scum so that she might exploit it. After all, that was only good business.

“That’s a big gap in level, I’m guessing. Big enough to have you worried?”

“Big enough to slow things down, but I’d rather not have business come to a complete halt.”
word count: 555

Credit to Pegasus

As a note: Noth is a Grandmaster in Intimidation. That means that he's at least as scary as the Count from Sesame Street. Beware.

"The tyrant confuses those he can't convince, corrupts those he can't confuse, and crushes those he can't corrupt." - Anonymous
Noth
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Cradle to the Grave

“So here we are then. Marrow’s what I like to call a value customer. A long-term business partner that one” A friend. He read it in her tone and in her eyes and in the way she tilted her head as if to look away a little: a friend. No, maybe even more. “You? You’ve been good with the nel. You’ve come through in business past with the payments and you’ve got good credit. I don’t see why the arrangement I have with Marrow can’t continue.”

“Glad to hear it.” He nearly admitted then and there that he wasn’t entirely certain what was going on between the two in the first place, but he was aware that supposedly it brought in some manner of useful item for the necromancers, and that was enough for him. “So, you’ll work with Divinya?”

“Sure.” Zipper said with a tone that said: please no. Please, by all the cursed immortals big and small, no. “Unless there is literally anyone else that can serve as a liaison.”

“I have a Defier who could potentially do that.”

“Sounds better already.” Her face suggested otherwise. Marrow once mentioned that she had a rather deep prejudice against the element mages. That she would rather deal with one of them rather than a Divinya spoke volumes of her absolute distaste for the ‘green’ necromancer. “I’ll take it - with the consideration that, per more intensive necromancy matters, I will lower myself to deal with the sweet Divinya.”

“How considerate and… humble of you.” He retaliated, raking a talon softly underneath the table. She briefly closed her eyes in protest at the sound, but said nothing more. In truth it seemed far more logistically difficult to ensure that the Defier was accurately gathering the materials needed by the necromancer, but he supposed some difficulty was better than a literal stop to the act. ”How much will this arrangement cost per…” What was the word, pit? No, it had to do with water. “Well.”
word count: 342

Credit to Pegasus

As a note: Noth is a Grandmaster in Intimidation. That means that he's at least as scary as the Count from Sesame Street. Beware.

"The tyrant confuses those he can't convince, corrupts those he can't confuse, and crushes those he can't corrupt." - Anonymous
Noth
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Cradle to the Grave

Zipper traded in information, special criminal services, bribes for reduced sentences for any crime that could be swept under the rug, and a load of other miscellaneous services that made the criminal life a little more convenient for her clients. Until Marrow had his own supply of dead bodies, it was she who provided him with the ones from the Black Guard morgue, the nameless and the unwanted dead that could afford to be missed - and from what little hints he could gather from their talks, it might have gone even before her time in the Black Guard. But to a select demographic of specialized ‘high-end’ clients, her true market-cornering product was made apparent.

She traded in the magical substance Marrow called wells.

Marrow said she had a nose for where they were and what they did - and that she was nearing some kind of arcane breakthrough that would open an entire new reality of well-powered thralls for him at a time before his departure.

It seemed he hadn’t been able to capitalize.

“I’ll be loathed to admit it, but my supply is not… as consistent as I would like.” Zipper said. “The ones you would like for the babies I can get easy, now more so than ever. But the big ones will cost you.”

“Cost me what?” He reiterated, leaning in closer to the girl, smiling wickedly.

“Uh,” She leaned back a bit. The way she wrinkled her nose led her to think it was more getting away from his musk than from him. He took note of the slight noise of uncertainty, the word whisper that spoke more than a sentence at times, and realized that he could probably barter the price down regardless of her initial offer. “50 GN for a small batch of the babies, 100 GN for the toddlers. Everything above that is all season and opportunity. I’ve had quite the breakthrough recently.”

“Has anyone informed you that you have a strange obsession with infants?” He shook his head, raising a hand to stop her from answering. “How much is in a batch?”

“About four or five, two or three if I get some of the extra juice in it.”

“The weakest wells aren’t nearly as useful as the stronger ones. I’d give you 40 for the… babies, and 75 for the toddlers.” He raked a talon across the floor to accentuate his next statement, “Unless that would be too little for you, humble one.”

“Aren’t nearly as useful because we’re looking through the sole scope of Necromancy,” Zipper urged. The price drop had lit a subtle fire under him. “To touch a well is to touch the mind of Emea itself: every mage has use for it. Raising the dead is just the smallest extension of what it can do.”

“I’m quite certain they’re powerful in the right hands, but you overestimate the number of hands I possess. Within our ranks there are only a pair capable of even using the wells, the defier, and the necromancer, and I’m uncertain what they would even do in the hands of the defier.”

“Fire kin? They always seem to be fire kin. Bunch of covert pyromaniacs that whole fuckin’ bunch.”

“Sometimes the best way to kill an enemy is to burn down the forest around them.” He chuckled, though his voice held more mirth now than in the past. “Regardless, my offer stands, Zipper.”

“Perhaps…” Zipper said, rubbing her hands. Marrow had once made a offhand comment that she rubbed when she was either thinking or starting to get nervous… or trying to suppress the urge to commit a grave act of violence. Maybe all three. “Perhaps my original offer could stand if I threw in a little something extra… a little bit of hands-on expertise on how these wells work to your arcane staff.”
word count: 654

Credit to Pegasus

Zip
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Cradle to the Grave

“You wish to train them? I didn’t think you even wanted to be around Divinya.”

“Only to the extent of not irradiating an entire block’s worth of Idalosian reality with emean madness.” Zipper said. “I’ll step in here and there, make sure that your cave stays a cave, and that’s that. Consider it a basic consulting job - I ask no further questions about what you and yours do.”

The offer caused him to pause for several trills in consideration, though eventually he came to a conclusive answer, and question. “That would be an acceptable agreement, though, I would rather be interested in knowing how one makes such an explosion of ‘Emean madness’.”

“Wells have a, shall we say, set limit to how much juice they can deliver. If you pass that threshold… Boom. Results ain’t cuntin’ pretty.”

“Ah. If at all possible, I’d like a more explanatory discourse over the subject at a later date. Consider it a piece of your consultation.”

“Gladly.” Zipper said. There was a brief shift in the air of the room, a little split-second social dive that came before a jarring topic switch, and sure enough….

“How well did you know Nero?” Zipper said, blinked, then caught herself. “Marrow.”

“Well enough to know that Neronin wouldn’t like us using his name publically.” He smiled.

“Old habits.” Zipper said. “Did he say anything before he… left?”

“Not a word. I don’t even know where he went, or why he left.” He sighed, the noise sounding reminiscent of sadness for a fraction of a trill before he resumed his professional posture.

“So like him. So very much like him, that stupid, emotionally stunted idiot.” Zipper said, a quiet shrug in her voice. The sadness in her voice, unlike the first time, was most definitely not imagined. But like Noth, the moment of sentimentality was past and the professional arcane dealer returned. “I suppose this concludes our meeting for today. Unless… What else can I do you for, bird?”

word count: 343
ImageImageImage
Zip
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Cradle to the Grave

“You know. I don’t come down to Foster’s often, but I still try my best to keep in touch. Recently a trio of mercenaries met a gruesome fate, and my associates informed me that the details of the murder were… similar to some activities we’ve been accused of in the past.” He paused before continuing, “I’m not entirely sure why someone would frame us for something along those lines, but I’m certain it wouldn’t take much effort for a Black Guard to find out why, would it?”

“This is no Black Guard in Foster’s. We’re not allowed here.” She said with a small smile and a wink. “But a humble clerical officer with some unorthodox connections might be up to the task.”

“Splendid.” He smiled once more, reaching to his side and removing a large bag of jingling coins which he loudly dropped upon the table, much to the ire of the local tavern keeper. “250 gold nels ought to be enough, wouldn’t you agree?”

“I would be inclined to.” Zipper allowed the bag to disappear into her cloak. “For this sum, I’m more than willing to throw in some extra services to the task. What state would you like the perpetrator -should it indeed be a framing- to be in?”

“Dead. Alive if necessary, but certainly unwilling to try such a stunt again. You’re a creative girl, Zipper. I’m sure you could think up a necessary punishment.” He outstretched a hand to her as he spoke, allowing it to fall upon her side of the table and rake back to his own in mock imitation of a claw going over wood.

“I strive for imagination.” She said dryly.

He simply nodded in response, gradually pulling himself free from his seat, and casting a quick predatory glance over their fellow patrons before returning the gaze to his associate. “I believe that concludes business. Until next time, Zipper.”

“A final word of advice, if I may?”

“Of course.”

“Your activities in Etzos have not gone unnoticed, your takeover with the gangs not unobserved. By my reckoning, there are only 300 active mages in services to Etzos. Maybe a bit more - who knows what else lurks in the shadows. The fact that you even have two of them is a cause for concern for certain parties. I’ve blocked some of it from going up the chain as a professional courtesy to Marrow but… The Black Guard is far bigger than me and my little channels - and it’s not them alone. Point is: I like making money off you. Don’t fuck my lovely income, bird.”

“My my, Zipper. Are you worrying about us? How quaint of you. I’ll take your advice into mind, but I no more expected the aftermath to go without bloodshed than I did the takeover.”

This time she shrugged for real, as if she had said her piece and was done with it. “Until next time, Prince.”

“Until next time.”

word count: 510
ImageImageImage
Tristan Venora
Approved Character
Profession: Mad Scientist Socialite
Renown: 934
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Cradle to the Grave

Noth:

Knowledge:

Intimidation: A Wicked Smile
Intimidation: Leaning Closer to Prey
Intimidation: Raking Floor With Talons
Politics: Knowing When You're Framed
Politics: Hiring People to Deal with Framers
Leadership: Checking In With Underlings
Leadership: Contracting Outside Assistance
Negotiation: Putting In a Lower Bid

Zipper: A useful contractor

Loot: Nothing! You lose 250 gn!
Injuries: N/A
Fame: -2 for nefarious dealings
Magic XP: N/A

Zipper:

Knowledge:

Business Management: Choosing your clients wisely
Business Management: Conducting a business transaction
Business Management: Offering consultation services as a bonus
Business Management: Providing value-added services
Intelligence: Feigning a slip of the tongue to gather intelligence
Intelligence: Using a business meeting to dig for information
Intelligence: Scouting out a criminal operation in the guise of providing an onsite service
Politics: The unspoken rules of the Etzori criminal underworld

NPC - Divinya
Divinya - Necromancer
Divinya - Unbearably rude
Divinya - Works for Noth
PC - Noth
Noth - Criminal, client, claws galore
Noth - Has two mages working for him
Noth - Lost his chief necromancer

Loot: You gain 250 gn!
Injuries: N/A
Fame: - 2 for being corrupt and engaging in nefarious dealings
Magic XP: N/A

- - -
Comments: Oh wow. This was an interesting thread. There is already so much corruption in the second sentence! :lol:

I didn't mind the swearing. In fact it amused me. I hope you don't mind!

Zipper, I had no idea how corrupt your PC really was. I thought she just liked to swear occasionally. Noth, your PC was exactly as I expected!

I'm wondering though: How did you wrote those posts? Google Docs?

Anyway, I hope you are okay with the fame I gave you. If you think your reputation should suffer even more, let me know!
word count: 290
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Outlying Cities”