Mutually Assured Destruction

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Re: Mutually Assured Destruction

10 Cylus Arc 721

Most of Jacien’s attention was on Balthazar, but as the conversation progressed, she noted that the man was keeping an eye on her too. As before, the young woman could pick up nothing from him. His face betrayed not one thing. It was disappointing but not altogether surprising. She liked being helpful, but it seemed, for this conversation, that would not be the case. The only thing she noted was his careful choice of wording.

Beth?

As part of her name was said, sapphire eyes flickered up to the mage’s face. She allowed him to finish before arching an eyebrow lightly. If he hadn’t used ‘Beth’ as the opening gambit, she might have done something stupid. Using that name, a name he had never called her, told her something was wrong. The eyebrow was already raised, which in this case was good because it generally meant one of two things for the young mage – amusement or annoyance.

In this case, annoyance. And she was going to channel it for all it was worth because it was genuine and just so happened to work perfectly with the situation. She didn’t have to act – because she was annoyed. She was simply allowing herself to display that instead of hiding it.

“Promises mean nothing, Balth. They’re just words.” Keep it simple, Elisabeth.

Turning to Jacien, she smiled again, inclining her head. “Again, a pleasure.”

Moving to the door, she opened it and stepped back out into the hallway, but her guard was still up. Balthazar had very clearly wanted her out of the room for some reason and while she was not happy with that decision, she trusted him. She just hoped she had given him enough cues to let him know she understood.

Words and promises were a relatively common topic between the pair. Elisabeth believed in them and Balthazar – not so much. Using his words had been a small bit of fun wrapped up in serious business, as had using the shortened version of his name which she had called him precisely zero times during their relationship.

She moved swiftly down the hallway, intending on doing exactly as he asked of her once she reached the main door. Elisabeth was worried and scared but she didn't have time to give in to those emotions, nor would her discipline allow her to, and the only person she trusted was the man whose side she had just been asked to leave. A man she cared about beyond measure, even if he was a reckless, stubborn, clueless brat sometimes.

Be careful, Balthazar...

word count: 438
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

The Almund Bazaar.
Jacien nodded his head to "Beth" and smiled. "The pleasure, mi'lady, is mine."

He waited as Elisabeth exited the room and then he turned his full attention to Balthazar. He seemed more relaxed now that Elisabeth had gone. As Balthazar first said that he had forgotten he was meeting his companion, Jacien said nothing. His face did not change, nor did his expression move. Even when Balthazar allowed his Soothing to slip, Jacien's expression did not change.

"You know," he said softly. "That working with you could put me in a difficult position, yet you come to me anyway?" He smiled, slightly, his lips lifting mirthlessly. He may as well have been carved from marble, so unmoving was the rest of his face. At Balthazar's apology, and apparent surprise, Jacien said nothing, simply looked at him. Balthazar laid out his wishes, and Jacien listened. "You are seeking," he paused a moment, "labour. I may be able to help you, there, but my," again, a pause. "Associates." He spoke softly, quietly, as though he was discussing tea. "My associates are private people. I would need to vouch for you." He lifted a hand to gesture to Balthazar. "And I have some trust issues, Trooper Black."

Jacien moved towards the desk and, from there, lifted up a small glass bird. It was beautiful, the craftsmanship exquisite.

"It is my understanding - and now knowledge, of course, that you are a mage of some power, Trooper Black," he said. Jacien looked at him calmly, placing the glass bird back down. "Who works, investigating things and generally doing good deeds. Now, I understand that you are prone to forgetting, but I am very prone to remembering. Nellies, missing children. Quite the hero." Picking up a small box, he opened it. "And a member of law enforcement, too. So you see, Trooper Black, I can't help wondering if my trust issues should extend to you."

He gave a slight sigh. "So. In order to make sure that we are .... entirely private, I would like to place this bird on the table between us. It will act to scramble any magic you have and ensure that no one is watching or listening. It scrambles ether, so I'm told. So, as long as you aren't casting anything, it will do you no harm. With this active, I will discuss with you. Without it, I'm afraid, I have no idea what you're after."

Cold eyes regarded him. "And be under no illusion, Trooper Black. If you are seeking to cause trouble here, you will not find it an easy thing to do." He thought it best to be clear. "So, I hope we can talk? While my little bird sings?"

Meanwile, Elisabeth left. She was not stopped or hindered from leaving. No one paid any heed to her, although the receptionist bade her "Good trial".

Outside, the Bazaar was full. More full than it had been. The guards who were standing at the doorway glanced as she walked out and one of them said to her. "Best be careful, Miss. Sounds like there's something going on." As the guard spoke, leaning forward and putting an arm out as though to protect her, Elisabeth heard the sounds of bells ringing, singing, chanting, clapping. There were bright flashes of light in the Cylus gloom and the sound of cheering and whooping. "Ah. Someone's won big at one of the gamblers," the guard said - half to his companion, more than to her.

The bazaar stood before her - busy and thronging with people. It was noisy and filled with strange smells and - of course - beggars. A shivering man, a starving woman with a young child. There was wealth here, no doubt - some of the stalls sold fine jewels, nestled next to a stall where you could buy bread or another which sold warm "Cylus wine", spiced with cinnamon and mulberry - but there was great poverty too. People walked past the beggars, ignoring them - for the large part, not seeing them. The cold air bit and the sounds of celebration quietened down from the other side of the bazaar.

Where would she go?

word count: 702
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

10 Cylus 721

And so the game began. Jacien produced an object of exquisite design and Balthazar looked it over with only his eyes. Now that all his mutations were laid bare when he attuned it would be noticeable and he would need his lie prepared. As Jacien spoke, Balthazar listened closely to the words that he was saying. The man (Jacien) had already said enough that Balthazar could conclude he knew something of value to the investigation. However the issue remained that he needed to get Jacien to say it aloud so it was confirmed. There were other methods, torture or a more refined interrogation but Balthazar wasn't the most experienced with either of those and fairly certain the first was not an approved method for the Elements. So Balthazar listened instead and took a risk he would not have taken in most situations.

Jacien didn't seem surprised by Balthazar's shift in appearance which made him wonder what manner of other things the man had seen but as he explained what the interesting glass bird could do, Balthazar began to realize this was not Jacien's first encounter with mages. It had to take experience to be that prepared for someone like him. Then again, maybe not. Maybe Jacien was just well informed and thought he was prepared for Balthazar. Trust issues. That was what he had claimed to have before producing the bird from his desk. It was fair enough to have trust issues in their line of work that Balthazar would not argue. Discretion was important for criminals and Elements who let things slide. Yet Jacien proceeded to list the many things Balthazar had not let slide. Nellies, two different cases of missing children, Jacien called him a hero and it was Balthazar's face that gave way a little then.

He didn't seem to like being called a hero.

"I don't think you'd be where you are now if your trust issues did not extend to powerful mages in law enforcement." Balthazar said in a level tone as he looked at the glass bird. He could not help but think to Attunement and jamming. He'd blocked the magic of other mages before so he was curious to see if he could stop the bird from blocking him. It would likely come down to a contest of power and Balthazar was not up for that while he was trying to hold a decent conversation. He really wanted to try just to see if it could be done, but he did not try it. Jacien said the bird would scramble ether. Scramble. The mage was very curious but still, he did nothing but nod to Jacien once the explanation was finished. Balthazar grinned when Jacien said that without the bird, he had no idea what the mage was talking about. So... Jacien had useful information.

"If it is the only way to get what my people need, I could endure the length of a conversation without casting a spell." That didn't mean they were entirely alone though. Balthazar was never really alone these trials. Still... no Attunement, Defiance, Rupturing, or Transmutation... ouch. It was Jacien's final words that amused Balthazar the most because it felt almost like a threat. If he wanted to cause trouble, it would be difficult? Perhaps Jacien was not as informed as Balthazar thought he was. Balthazar was quite decent at causing trouble... he just had no initial intention of doing so. "I have no intention of causing you any trouble. If you feel more at ease with the bird blocking my magic, then let the bird sing and let us discuss business."
word count: 618

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

10 Cylus Arc 721

There was no part of Elisabeth that wanted to leave Balthazar alone in that room. Focus, focus. He knows what he’s doing. You are the newbie here…. and if she just kept telling herself that, maybe the hoard of butterflies in her belly would calm down. Or was it her spark? Hard to tell. All she knew was worry and unease.

A smile and nod were given in return to the receptionist as she passed, not forgetting her manners.

As she cleared the building, the guard informed her of a commotion nearby. His actions were that of someone trying to protect her and the sentiment was appreciated, but she did not comment. Her mind was still with Balthazar. He had told her to go to Tornado and gave her very non-specific instructions on where the ill-tempered brute was. It likely had just been part of the plan to get her out of the room. The mage was fully aware of Elisabeth and Torando’s uneasy relationship. She’d find the horse, yes…but that didn’t mean she needed to go there straight away.

The commotion had caught her attention first, thinking that she would saunter that way and see what was going on but then something else found her…and hit her like a ton of bricks – the beggars.

Beggars were not unusual but, at that moment, it took her to a place in her mind she didn’t often allow herself to go. Back to being new in Rharne. Having been wrapped up in academia in the time before Rharne, she had only been vaguely aware of the cruelties of the world, detached from them and her emotions. Rharne had been a wake-up call in many ways but the cruel nature of the world had run into the young woman, head-first, bright and brilliant. She had learned to push down the sadness and rage that always accompanied those thoughts but even after all this time, it still wasn’t easy – especially when the cruelties of the world were so evident…every trial.

But…it wasn’t supposed to be easy. Putting away emotions like that shouldn't be. They demanded to be felt.

Taking a deep breath, she watched the shivering man and starving woman and child. The young woman watched as people simply walked past, uncaring, unmoved, and outright ignoring those in the street. For whatever reason, embarrassment or indifference, the world just passed them by. They were deserving of acknowledgment and help. Maybe there wasn’t a lot she could do, but she could do something. Something was better than nothing.

Striding over to the booth with the bread, she bought two small basic loaves quickly and found her way to both the man and mother with her child. Kneeling quietly, she gave each a loaf of the warm bread. Digging in her pack, she dragged out two small, thin blankets. They weren’t much, brought with her from Rharne and used for traveling, but they would offer a minor amount of protection against the cold and elements, offering one to each. Her eyes found theirs, sincere in sentiment. “I wish there were more I could do.” Smiling softly, she stayed for just a moment longer. The young woman really wanted to get to the other side of the bazaar, but some things were more important.

word count: 569
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The Almund Bazaar.
Jacien raised an eyebrow, apparently interested in Balthazar's self-appraisal as a powerful mage. Had he always known, or just heard rumours? It was Jacien's business to play the odds, after all. And he did so enjoy keeping people on their toes.

When Balthazar agreed to Jacien's terms, though, there was just the slightest hint of surprise. But it was more than that. He seemed - just for a moment - pleased. However his face was, quickly, expressionless again. He nodded, and put the bird down. As soon as he did, it started to give off a very gentle sound. The whisper of birdsong. From Balthazar's point of view, nothing seemed to change other than that sound. So, Jacien sat down opposite Balthazar and he nodded. "I wish to be clear, Trooper Black. Slavery on Scalvoris is illegal. You are a member of the Elements. If you are asking me what I think and believe you are, this is going to take some negotiation and will be a significant challenge. We will need to convince my ... associates," yes, a slight pause. But still, they seemed to be getting somewhere. At least they were actually talking about slavery. "That you are acting outside your job role. The immediate assumption will be, of course, that you are under cover and trying to discover things. Your colleagues here meet my very specific requirements," Jacien said, mirthlessly. "And I trust them completely. You, however, are an unknown quality to me in that way. So. I trust that you will be happy to swear before a marked of the Twins who will know if you are lying, that this .... information, this place, it will be kept safe?"

Before Balthazar could answer, one way or another, Jacien raised a hand. "Be assured that, should anyone wish to do anything so obviously dangerous in any large number, this would be required. We are not naturally trusting men, Trooper Black, are we? If you will agree to that, then give me some idea of what numbers you need, and what for. The function of an item for sale, of course, determines its price." He didn't smile, but his tone changed and it sounded almost like he was going to. "What you do with a purchase after you've sealed the deal, of course, is up to you and even the roughest wood can be sanded down. But what you wish, in terms of product, and how many? That will allow me to give you a rough price."

Meanwhile, Elisabeth was providing kindness and comfort to strangers. The woman she helped burst into tears and the child immediately began to eat the bread. She was small, the little girl, but even one so small as her had learned and, after she took a bite of the bread, she tore some and offered it to her mother with small and dirty hands. "Mama?" The mother was, evidently, overcome with emotion and she grabbed Elisabeth's hand, squeezing it gently. "Thank you, kind soul. Thank you." The man was more prosaic, less outwardly emotional, but he smiled - revealing many missing teeth - and he thanked her. He had what seemed to be a million wrinkles and his eyes had the watery look of an elder. It was hard to tell just how old he was because of the dirt and the state of his grey hair, but that he was older was in no doubt. "Yer a kindly lass, tis for sure. Anythin' I can be helpin' you with, lass? I know this market like the back o'me hand," he said softly. "An' the people too. Kindly lass like yerself, be careful you don't git took advantage of, for sure." He nodded. It seemed that, rather than descending and devouring the food, he knew to slowly take his time. "It ain't much, miss, but it's the best I got to give. Can I help?"
word count: 662

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

10 Cylus 721

It seemed that, just maybe, a little bit of the mask Jacien was wearing had begun to slip but Balthazar didn't give it much thought in the moment. He was focusing on maintaining his own calm to avoiding giving away his own concerns. The glass bird gave off a faint song and Balthazar was expecting some pain or discomfort to overcome him but nothing happened. After a few trills, the mage's glowing eyes shifted from the bird back to the man talking to him. Jacien had chosen his words more carefully before the bird began to sing but Balthazar did not think for a moment that Jacien's comfort indicated he was in a safe place to exercise his own. Slavery. The word, once spoken, banished any doubts that Balthazar might have still had about Jacien's involvement. Even if a deal was not struck, he had enough to know where to apply pressure, but Balthazar wanted to strike a deal. He had a feeling the issue ran deeper than Jacien and the bazaar. He wanted to know who the 'associates' were.

Slavery had been stopped once before, this time Balthazar wanted to make sure to get it at the source. So he listened closely and he kept his mouth shut while Jacien explained that it would take a decent amount of negotiating to convince his associates to work with an Element. Balthazar seemed a little surprised when Jacien asked him if he would swear before a marked of the Twins that their information would be kept safe. The Twins... he did not know what their mark did apart from Jacien's assurance that they would know if he was lying but Balthazar was surprised because Jacien's group had one at their disposal. He'd been expecting Jacien to have some control over the Elements in the bazaar but a marked? It was useful information. At the very least, he wanted to meet their lie detector. Just as Balthazar began to answer, Jacien pressed on and the mage fell silent again to listen.

Jacien asked for more specific details and Balthazar, having not really expected to get that far and not being one for the number, realized quickly that he would need time to figure it out. "People who trust easily don't seem to thrive long in this world." Balthazar said to stall. He'd praise and agree while he thought about the particulars of what he wanted. He had thirty settlers to create houses for but it was bold to assume each one would have their own home. He couldn't afford it. "I'll swear before a marked of the Twins if it will put your mind at ease." Oh no, he'd run out of things to say while he was stalling. Why couldn't he have been a wordy one? He raced through the last few thoughts quickly and bought more time by explaining some content to Jacien.

"I have taken it upon myself to help a few families displaced in the eruption of Faldrass resettle on the island. The shift in the landscape has had some unexpected consequences, primarily being that it is cold and windy. The tents we brought over aren't sturdy enough against the wind and the warm sand isn't cutting it against the cold." Balthazar figured it out. "I'm looking for a workforce large enough to start building wooden houses for my settlers. I'm no builder myself so I'm not sure what that entails. Fifteen? Twenty workers?" Was that too many? It seemed like a lot. It was more than half of his settlement. Maybe he could make do with less and just have the more able bodies settlers help out? Then again, was it not better to try and reach as many slaves as possible? "I suppose I only really need a few trained, maybe five of them who can tell the others what to do when they're working. What do you think?"

word count: 675

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

10 Cylus Arc 721

It wasn’t often that the young woman was moved to near tears but the mother’s reaction to her gift nearly got her there. Taking a deep breath, she tried to hold herself together so she could just simply be with them for a moment. It angered her that the world passed people by without trying to do something. There were so many people that needed help and she knew that it was impossible to help them all. Then again, the young woman had never liked the word ‘impossible’. Maybe she could find a way. Especially for those the universe dropped directly in her path.

Taking hold of the woman’s hand, Elisabeth took a moment and did something she had only done a few times before. At the Ball in Rharne, she had prayed first to Ethelynda to protect the people attending the Ball when Syroa had revealed herself, although she hadn’t known that fact at the time. Then, later, in a bit of desperation, she had prayed to Ziell and Xiur to help Balthazar.He had been stuck in something of a stupor and the young woman had been temporarily unable to rouse him while madness had raged around the pair. Of course, she had been unaware that both were already present at the Ball, which had been a bit of a shock. All she had known, at that moment, was that she needed help and she hated feeling helpless.

And it was the same feeling that was welling up inside her then.

It was worth a shot. What did she have to lose?

Taking a deep breath, she sent her thoughts out into the universe.

“Ziell, Xuir…It’s me, Elisabeth. Well, you probably know that. We met at the Ball in Rharne. Well, not really. I was there, but that’s really not important. I’m in Almund and there are people here that need help. I know, there are people everywhere that need help, but I thought of you both just now. When my mind overwhelms me, it’s always the snow and the stars that help me find hope and peace again. They helped me the night of the Ball when everything went upside down. I was hoping that between the two of you, maybe you could give these people just a little peace and hope to ease them? I know it’s a lot to ask but…I would be grateful.”

Soon, she would have to leave them behind but maybe, just maybe, someone would hear her request.

Maybe, it would make a difference.

Reaching out, she caressed the young girl’s head gently, knowing what the power of touch could do. It could reassure, support, and convey a whole host of emotions – Balthazar had taught her that. He wasn’t overly loquacious, but he communicated with her through small touches.

Reaching into her pack again, Elisabeth drew out a few nels and pressed them into the woman’s hand, replying softly. “You are welcome.”

Turning to regard the older man, she repeated the gesture with the nels, slipping a few into his hand as she held it, smiling. Maybe he could help her. The wheels started turning in her mind quickly. Balthazar was obviously up to something and while she had no idea what thatwas, Elisabeth understood information was always useful. “Perhaps you can, Sir. Have you seen anything interesting or unusual here at the Bazaar lately?“ It was a vague question but maybe it would yield something useful.

word count: 593
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The Almund Bazaar.
Jacien watched Balthazar and nodded. "Your numbers make sense, Trooper Black," he said. "So, twenty workers with, shall we say, five trained and fifteen workhorses." He considered it. "For your settlement on Faldrass where you are helping people who are less fortunate? Well, Trooper Black" there was a slight frown on his face as Jacien thought about this. If this got found out, then Jacien was risking a lot.

An awful lot.

Hmm. He considered it, and then he shook his head. "No, Trooper Black." Jacien shook his head. "I believe you are mistaking me for a fool." Jacien smiled, almost. "You come here, asking to buy slaves for your public and obvious good deeds? It simply isn't something which I believe," he smiled slightly. "You are working outside the Elements, I have no doubt or my .... " he gestured slightly. "colleagues would have known about it and your cover story would not have holes that I could drive a carriage through. Your attempt is both clumsy and insulting. That does not tell me, though, what you are actually doing." He shrugged slightly. "Plus, the purchase of slaves would be absolutely nonsensical for a short-term job such as you are suggesting. It would be more cost effective to hire a contractor with a bleeding heart. You must think me a stupid man, Trooper Black. A very stupid one."

Jacien stood and shook his head. "I do not know what you wish to find here, Trooper Black. But slavery is illegal on Scalvoris and we operate within the law. You will find no friends here." He gestured to the door. "I'm a busy man. Good day."

Outside, the man smiled at Elisabeth. 'Unusual, lass? Well, there's not right much what's usual here, truth told, an' every trial's different than the last," he chuckled at his own joke. Her prayers had gone unanswered it seemed, but the man in front of her considered. "I mean, there's th' new stall owner, he's sells trinkets an' tchotchkes, obvious folly to all yet they keep comin' back to him. Is that the kind of thing you mean?" He looked at her and seemed keen to help but, obviously, wasn't quite sure what sort of thing she was looking for.

word count: 385

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

10 Cylus 721

The strangest thing happened when Jacien said no to Balthazar, the mage grinned. It only happened for a moment and was surpassed quickly but it seemed as if he was relieved to be told no. As Jacien continued to speak and picked apart Balthazar's approach, the mage's face did not give away much. In truth he was relieved to be refused. Now he did not need to manage the lives of twenty slaves. Though it was interesting to know that Jacien had twenty at his disposal. He couldn't help but wonder the total number but it would only elude him for a short time more. Jacien was rather blunt in his response now and was courteous enough to explain where the deception had failed. Balthazar took note of those things but said nothing in regard to them while his cracked, glowing, mutated eyes watched the master of the bazaar. Don't seek illegal means to do a good thing... well how was he ever going to change anyones opinion on bad things if he did that? It reminded him of the debate with Doran about necromancy.

Much like Doran had, Jacien dismissed the mage from the meeting but Balthazar did not rise from his chair immediately. He sat there looking at Jacien with a slow grin spreading back over his face for a few trills before he finally spoke. "I don't think you a stupid man, Jacien. Just short sighted." Balthazar stood from his chair and looked towards the little bird singing it's song. "You are right, slavery is illegal in Scalvoris." Balthazar's tone shifted a little, not outright looking to intimidate Jacien but certainly more stern than it had been when he was asking the man for help. "And I am a Flame Trooper with considerable resources who is employed to ensure the law is followed. All laws. But so are your... colleagues here." He leaned forwards slightly and placed a hand over Jacien's singing bird only for the sound to persist. Fascinating. He removed his hand and looked towards Jacien. "You have quite an interesting trinket." He admit before taking a step back from the desk and closer to the door.

He took a breath, considering Jacien's final words to him. He would find no friends there? "I disagree. You and I may stand apart on this issue, but there is plenty we could achieve together with cooperation." Balthazar paused and opened the door to indicate he would be leaving. "Everyone needs a friend sooner or later, even the Master of the Bazaar. Think about it. You don't want to be my enemy." Balthazar shrugged and crossed out the door, his pleasant expression fading into a more stern, arguably disappointed one as he moved through the building.

So Jacien did indeed have the Elements in the bazaar in his pocket. He hadn't named names but he had indicated it clearly in the conversation. It made Balthazar a little less confident in his decision to send Elisabeth outside but he didn't regret it. Things might have gone worse if she was in there with him... or better, it was hard to tell. He'd gone from comfortably safe to uncertain about everyone around him. He knew things now and Jacien knew that he knew them. Balthazar had been around long enough to see where it was going. What had Nellie done? What had Isabella tried to do at one time? They needed to gather their supplies, crew, and leave. Where was Elisabeth?
word count: 597

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

10 Cylus Arc 721

I have no idea what I mean, she thought to herself. Both the old man and Elisabeth were unsure what type of information she was looking for. Balthazar had not had the time or privacy to let her know what he was up to, so the young woman was scrambling to catch up and not make any missteps until she had more information. Thinking about what he said, she smiled gently. “I confess I’m not sure what I mean either. If you think the new stall qualifies then I trust you.” Giving his weathered hand a gentle squeeze, Elisabeth rose, asking for directions to the new stall he spoke of.

Once she had those, she said her farewells to the man and woman, giving the young girl one more smile before turning and glancing around the area. She hadn’t experienced anything due to her prayer but really, Elisabeth hadn’t expected much. The Divine worked in mysterious ways – this she did know. Having never been party to something of that nature, other than being a witness to Immortals at the Ball, she really didn’t know how those types of things worked.

Slowly walking back towards the building where she had left Balthazar, she noted his form from a distance. Smiling with relief, the young woman hadn’t realized that a bit of her had been holding her breath until she could see for herself that he was alright. There had been nothing to indicate he wouldn’t have been, but something about the whole situation felt…off. Perhaps it was due to lack of information, which she really, really disliked. There, however, was no way to deny that she felt better having him where she could see him.

Swiftly making her way to him, her expression changed from relief to concern. What the Beneath was going on? Part of her wanted to embrace him tightly but they were in public. For all the discipline she had and confidence gained over the past seasons, she tripped over her uncertainty often. Balthazar was a source of strength for her and tapping into that always helped.

Taking a deep breath, she gave him a smile and started over with an arched eyebrow. “Hello. I’m Beth and apparently you forgot I was meeting you to-trial.” It was a waste of breath to ask him what was going on. He would tell her what he could, when he could. She trusted him on that. He had information. She did not.

It was also pointless being mad at him for forgetting her at the dock. Enough time had been spent with him to know that there were always a million things going on in his mind. Sparks and magic did not help that. Elisabeth herself was just starting to learn about impulse and different ways sparks influenced the mage…and she only had one to coexist with. One could not even imagine what it was like trying to balance as many as he did.

So, what could she do in that moment if asking questions was futile until she had a better grasp of what he needed from her then?

She could be Elisabeth….

“I missed you…”

word count: 540
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Almund”