[The Proving Ground] Catching Up

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus, Avalon, Vulpes

Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: +710
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 6
Medal count: 31

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[The Proving Ground] Catching Up

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:07 pm

Arc 721, 32 Vhalar

Balthazar had wandered off in the morning after they woke, wanting to check in on a few things, but had asked Elisabeth to meet him at the Proving Grounds to catch up on a bit of training. The pair hadn’t trained together in quite some time, and she surmised that he wanted to see how she had progressed.

Grabbing her bag, she left their room at the Knight’s Rest and headed into Scalvoris Town. It was still a bit early to meet Balthazar, so the young woman took her time, enjoying the trial. She was in an excellent mood, having spent the evening before with Balthazar at Raine DeFleur’s manor house and enjoying a good night’s sleep – the type only sleeping next to him provided.

Her happiness didn’t only revolve around being with the Yari, although that was a large part of it. Haven was doing well, and projects were moving forward. There had been no unexpected mystical kidnappings recently, and life seemed to be settling into something of a normal rhythm. Elisabeth wasn’t sure she would ever entirely like Balthazar spending so much time away from home for work, but they were making the situation work, as they always did. A good team they always were.

Before long, she found herself in front of the Proving Grounds, having walked there while lost in thought. Entering the building, the young woman smiled at a few near the door and found her way to an empty training area near the back.

Having become familiar with the Proving Grounds during the Combat Festival, the couple discussed it as a suitable place for them to train. Both were skilled in blades and unarmed combat, but Balthazar was on a whole different level than she. It didn’t stop her from trying to progress and be better, however. Whatever threats lay in the future, Elisabeth wanted to be able to meet them prepared by making sure she honed all the tools available as much as she could. Aggression and violence were not preferable in her eyes, but in defense of others or herself, she would engage in them if necessary.

Elisabeth had to admit that the reasons she enjoyed training with Balthazar were wide and varied. Stripping the other more logical reasons away, what was left was that it was quality time spent with the man she loved, sharing something important to him.

Pulling out a training sword from her bag, Elisabeth set it down on top and began stretching out and warming her muscles up, dragging her long dark hair into a high ponytail to keep it out of her way.

word count: 464
Balthazar Black
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Element
Renown: +1000 +
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 13

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: [The Proving Ground] Catching Up

Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:04 pm

32 Vhalar 721
Elisabeth, bless her soul, always seemed to think that when Balthazar asked to spar or train, he was checking on her progress. In reality, most of the time it was just because he struggled to find people who could go toe to toe with him and she was slowly learning not to fall down as much. Vri's mark had helped him a lot because it allowed him to share his physical skills with another, but not everyone was willing to let a man marked by the Immortal of Death use his abilities on them. Some were superstitious, some felt that they wouldn't get anything out of it. Robin, from Rynmere, seemed to enjoy it but Balthazar would have rather spent his time with Elisabeth on the trial than Robin.

He left early in the morning to makes his rounds across the city. He stopped at the shops who's owners he knew and he greeted them. He asked how they were doing and if they needed anything from him. Some responded more kindly than others. Some only wanted his business and he provided them only offers of service. All the same when his rounds were done and he'd figured out he wouldn't be needed elsewhere, Balthazar went to the Proving Grounds where he'd told Elisabeth he would meet her. He couldn't help but think of Haven while he walked to the Proving Grounds. Both the leaders of the settlement were about to beat each other up and the settlement sat there with no one but the guards to keep order. Maybe they should have been there if they were going to train.

He didn't like the time he spent away from Elisabeth any more than she did, but he didn't see any way to solve that and do his job right at the same time. If he asked to be stationed singularly on Faldrass so he could be closer to Elisabeth, he would be further from where the real crime was happening. After all, with only two settlements and a barony on Faldrass there were not really enough people for any investigation there to be a challenge. So he did his best with the travel he could manage. Building a more lasting portal to Haven would only help him one direction unless he used blood magic and he needed more practice for that. Still, the idea of using his blood to connect Haven to different parts of Scalvoris appealed to him. It was the fastest way to travel he could think of, but he'd keep looking for others.

He arrived in the sand pit that was the Proving Grounds and scanned the area for other fighters he recognized and Elisabeth. She seemed to have arrived just a little bit before him and was still warming up on her own so he began crossing the sand towards her.

"Balthazar?" A recognizable voice called out from behind the mage who turned to find Robin of Oakleigh standing behind him with a training sword in his hands and a confused look on his face. "What are you dong here?"

Balthazar furrowed his brow and gestured around himself, "We're at the Proving Grounds, I'm here to train."

Robin blinked his eyes a few times and then buried his face in the palm of his free hand for a trill, "Yeah, right, sorry. I just figured you trained in the Element Hall with the other Elements."

"I do, but not all the time. Not everyone I know has access to the Hall. I came to practice with Elisabeth. Would you like to join us?" Balthazar gestured over to where Elisabeth was standing with the training swords. Arthur looked down at his own training sword, then over at Elisabeth, and then back over at Balthazar.

"In a moment, sure. Just let me finish warming up first." Robin replied. Balthazar nodded to him and Robin returned the nod, then Balthazar departed for Elisabeth.

"I see you finally bought training swords." Balthazar mused as he arrived beside her, "Much safer. How have you been?"

word count: 704

Mutations

• Once Paradigm Is Removed: He glows faintly, his skin is warm and sometimes hot to the touch, and when he gets angry sparks literally fly off him. He's a the middle of a field of static electricity so every once in a while when you touch him, you get shocked. Fire leans towards Balthazar and droplets of water seem magnetically attracted to him. He has a series of cracks on his right pectoral that glow of soft emerald. His eyes and the cracks reaching down to his cheeks glow a dark blue. The etheric cracks spiderwebbing up his arms glow orange.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks in Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:58 am

Arc 721, 32 Vhalar

Elisabeth heard someone call out Balthazar’s name, prompting her to turn and scan the immediate area. She felt something of a curiosity poking in the back of her mind, but sometimes it was hard to tell if emotions were hers or Balthazar’s. The couple was still sorting through their new abilities and sorting out whose feelings were who’s presented a challenge occasionally.

Smiling as she watched him interact with another, the young woman waved at both, patiently waiting to see the outcome of the conversation. Soon enough, Balthazar arrived, commenting on the training swords, and prompting a mischievous grin from her as she glanced over her shoulder. “I told you that I like all your bits right where they are, and the trial is coming when I can outpace you with a blade in my hand, so I thought it best to take precautions. Had they been alone, she might have pushed the comment a bit further, but both had an appreciation of privacy and things only said when they had it.

He always asked her how she had been, even if it had only been a few breaks since seeing each other, and the question always made her smile. “Well, I woke up next to you, and that made me smile - a lot. I’d consider the trial, so far, to be above average. You?”

Gesturing over in the direction of the man Balthazar had been speaking to, Elisabeth asked the obvious question. “Who is that? A colleague?” The young mage was always interested in the people Balthazar knew, a curious little thing she was. Armed with an inquisitiveness that rivaled the Yari’s, she liked knowing who people were and their business, even if it had nothing to do with her. Information was always a good thing.

Tossing a practice sword at him when he looked in her direction, Elisabeth remembered something she needed to tell him. Walking over closer to him, she lowered her voice, knowing magic was a sensitive subject to some. “My magic has progressed again, I think. Praetorum called it a mutation, the thing with my eyes. I have another one. The fire I manifest now, it’s white. It happened shortly after Rynmere.” Rynmere had tested Elisabeth’s limits with defiance, so if it had pushed her magic to progress to a new level, so be it. Regardless, Balthazar had his magic back, and she was looking forward to having him resume her training in that area.

However, right then, they were going to be working on blades and unarmed combat, not magic, so she thought about if there was anything he needed to know in that regard but couldn’t think of a single thing. He was aware that she was more skilled in blade work but had been progressing quickly in unarmed. Unfortunately, her progress had stalled in both disciplines due to a lack of experienced sparring partners. She could teach the settlers in Haven, but there was no one to teach her. The young settlement leader had an idea about that, though. She would have to discuss it with Balthazar first and was waiting for time to do so.

“What first? Blades or Unarmed?”

word count: 557
Balthazar Black
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 am

32 Vhalar 721
Balthazar smirked when Elisabeth mused that the trial was coming where she would be able to outpace him with a blade in her hand. He'd always outpace her without a weapon in hand, even if she had her blade. He did not sit idle while she trained... but he had to admit that as the arcs passed the fight seemed to feel less rewarding. She said that waking up next to him was nice and he smiled but made no further comment about their sleeping situation in the middle of the Proving Grounds. She asked how his trial had been and he shrugged, "Busy, but not the work I get paid for." It was a vague answer but he often was vague. It wasn't so much that he was trying to keep Elisabeth at a distance, it was just that when you could steal the memories of an individual by making eye contact with them, you tended to start guarding your own secrets a little more closely. Besides... she hadn't exactly said much about her time so he didn't want to bore her with stories about his meet and greet across the city.

Elisabeth asked about Robin and Balthazar tilted his head slightly. Had they not met yet? He turned to look back at Robin who was still warming up for a moment before scratching the back of his head. Who was Robin? It was hard to explain. He turned back to Elisabeth and said, "Robin of Oakleigh. He is a squire from Rynmere who came to Scalvoris after the incident with the..." he leaned in a little closer to her, "dragon bugs." He leaned back to a normal distance. "He has apparently been the squire for at least seven different knights, though none of them survived long. He wanted to squire for me but I'm not a knight and I did not want to risk whatever poor curse the last few who knew him did." Balthazar smiled, hoping Elisabeth would understand he was joking. He explained the real reason why incase she didn't, "I don't need a squire and I don't need the other Elements looking at me strangely because I have one. I also don't need the complication of a civilian following me around while I work cases. I have Pylos for that already. Still, Robin is... interesting. He's young but good at what he does. Better than most people I've met around here. He's going to come train with us in a little, I think you'll like him."

Robin seemed to notice them looking at him and he waved but he did not come over. He went right back to his warm up stretches and when he was done, he began practicing a few swing combinations. Elisabeth tossed the practice sword at Balthazar when he looked at her next and the mage plucked it from the air in a single, swift motion. When she moved closer and spoke more quietly, Balthazar thought she was going to tell him a more pressing secret than her progression with magic. He had never been very secretive of his magic. Balthazar Black as a name that many people knew or had heard belonged to a mage because of it. With how closely associated he and Elisabeth were, it was only a matter of time until people knew it about her as well. Regardless she'd been more quiet so he respected it and responded quietly about her progress.

"You're lucky," Balthazar said, "my mutations made it nearly impossible to walk around without being noticed. Glowing eyes and skin, hot skin at that, sparks, lots of... cracks." Balthazar gestured over his chest where the transmutation spark's witch mark normally burdened him with a strange glowing pattern like cracked glass on his chest. "I'm not saying I pursued Attunement to learn how to manage the mutations, but I was not disappointed when I discovered it could." Balthazar gave a soft laugh and shrugged. "White fire. Huh." Balthazar scratched the side of his chin with his free hand. "My fire is blue but I suspect it has something to do with the strange being I encountered in a fracture in Bastard's Grove. There was similar fire around when I met him and... well, it's a strange story. I wonder what your next one will manifest as... there is always another." Balthazar was referring to overstepping more than natural progression. "This is not the place to practice that though. I won't mind a little spell or two but be discrete and don't use it against Robin."

When Elisabeth asked what they'd work on first, Balthazar tossed his training sword onto the ground. He stared at it on the floor for a few trills and then turned to look at Elisabeth. "In a fight, if you lose your sword the fight does not end. Lose a limb and maybe, but we still have three others. I will begin unarmed and when I take your sword from you, I want you to try and avoid being hit long enough to get the sword on the ground. Understand?"
word count: 888

Mutations

• Once Paradigm Is Removed: He glows faintly, his skin is warm and sometimes hot to the touch, and when he gets angry sparks literally fly off him. He's a the middle of a field of static electricity so every once in a while when you touch him, you get shocked. Fire leans towards Balthazar and droplets of water seem magnetically attracted to him. He has a series of cracks on his right pectoral that glow of soft emerald. His eyes and the cracks reaching down to his cheeks glow a dark blue. The etheric cracks spiderwebbing up his arms glow orange.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks in Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:30 pm

Arc 721, 32 Vhalar

Balthazar seemed always to think he was boring her when he talked of ordinary things, yet he seemed to forget that they didn’t see each other every trial. Elisabeth would have been happy to talk about the weather, the dog he saw running through the market, or anything that came to Yari’s mind. Talking with him meant a lot to the young woman as their time together was limited, and she didn’t want to waste a moment of that precious time.

She listened to the small amount of information he offered and smiled, nodding. He was being vague, which was usual. Elisabeth never pushed and accepted that there were parts of his work life he couldn’t share with her. The trial was soon coming where that could run both ways, and the settlement leader knew it would be an area where she might struggle. The mage told Balthazar everything, thinking that doing so would bring them closer. Maybe some of the things she told him were just words, though? Perhaps she needed to rein in her words and understand how just to let things be.

The Yari seemed surprised when she asked him about the other man but answered her questions, giving a bit of a grin when he quietly mentioned the dragon bugs. Elisabeth called them dragonsects, because neither knew what to call them. It had been a harrowing experience they had faced together, which meant that she was now part of one of Balthazar’s stories. Something about that fact made her smile.

Understanding his explanation, she cast another glance over at the man, then curiously looked at Balthazar. “So, what is he going to do? He’s welcome in Haven if he wants.” Elisabeth didn’t question his assessment of Robin because she trusted the Yari’s instincts about people. “I’m sure I will,” she said, and the conversation continued on.

Elisabeth’s careful nature regarding magic was born of Balthazar. He had always been more cautious where her relationship with magic was concerned, and she had learned well. Only those that needed to know were aware of her being a mage, and the young woman avoided speaking of her abilities unnecessarily. What others concluded about her wasn’t her concern.

He spoke of his mutations, and she resisted the urge to comment on whether mutations or not, she would have always noticed him. He privately appreciated those comments but never quite knew how to take them publicly, and Elisabeth didn’t want to cause awkwardness.

The comments did prompt her to recall what she knew of her relationship with fire. Fire was Balthazar – it always had been. Now that his connection to Defiance had been restored, she could sense him again within it, and it comforted her in a way that was hard to describe.

Elisabeth knew why her fire was white, so perhaps dropping enough clues would allow the detective to figure it out.

Grinning softly, she stepped towards him and gently reached her hand up to tug on a small lock of his newly returned white hair, arching an eyebrow, speaking with a bit of sass. “Hmmm…I wonder why my fire is white.”

Quickly returning to the other parts of the conversation, she considered his words on Attunement. “That’s what you were using on the necklace? From what I know, it seems to be a practical magic. I wish I understood the nature of magic better. I have to admit that some of what was said during the Forging about magic made me wonder if I shouldn’t be trying harder to find things out.”

He explained her first challenge, prompting a nod from her. Easy enough in theory, but she knew the execution would be impossible. Balthazar knew that too, but that was the point of the exercise. Well, from her point of view anyway. Testing herself against him was an excellent way to see how much she had improved against him since the last time they had trained together.

Elisabeth didn’t wait, launching into her first attack, which was as straightforward as they came. Most times, fighters spent a bit probing each other’s abilities, testing to see what they would do. Balthazar and Elisabeth already knew, so there was no point. The young woman quickly launched herself at the Yari, utilizing her increased strength and athletics to deftly bring the practice sword around, aiming for his side but allowing herself one minor adjustment.

She had learned the hard way that getting anywhere within Balthazar’s reach was a bad idea. Her sword was an extension of that, but an extension that couldn’t be helped, although she could mitigate the risk by making sure she didn’t unnecessarily extend the ‘blade’ or keep it in position too long. After attempting the strike to the side, Elisabeth quickly withdrew the blade, lowering her center of balance while stepping offsides, bringing the ‘blade’ around from a swipe at the legs.

word count: 855
Balthazar Black
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:09 pm

32 Vhalar 721
"He knows about Haven, I'm surprised he hasn't visited already." Balthazar mused with another glance back at Robin before looking to Elisabeth. Robin would be a great help if he went to Haven based on what Balthazar had heard about his training. Robin had served the best of the knights in Rharne and learned a decent number of good skills in the process. Smithing and fieldcraft came to mind immediately but Balthazar would have to discuss it with Robin to see if he was interested. Even then, if Robin agreed, Balthazar would insist he was paid. "I'm not sure what he's looking for here. For a short time I thought he wanted magic, but it seems not. He's young. He'll figure it out." That was all he said on the topic of Robin before turning to the other thing Elisabeth had said.

Elisabeth seemed to believe that her fire had turned white for some reason related to Balthazar's hair and he furrowed his brow. He understood that she loved him, but he expected a more tangible reason for the mutation. He understood a few things about mutations, the basic premise being that they pushed your magic further as your spark grew in you, and the shift she had didn't make sense to him. There must have been more to it. When his fire turned blue it was not the end of the mutation, but the beginning. In fact, it was part of a mutation that terrified Balthazar even more now that he had an apprentice with fire as her kin. If he was burned- if for any reason his defiance slipped and flame would char his flesh, his body would flay the fire as he had learned to when Emea was shut off.

He would pray to whatever Immortal would listen that Elisabeth never suffered such a dangerous mutation. Alas, she was trying to be cute so he let it slide with a small smile. His spark turned his hair white, maybe it wasn't such a stretch to think it just turned her fire white as well. Who knew, maybe sparks had a favorite color? His transmutation spark seemed to like green.

On the topic of Attunement and Elisabeth's necklace, Balthazar nodded his head. "It was one of the magics I used- the other was Transmutation." He confirmed. He thought about the book he'd been given from the Night Market and considered mentioning it but did not. Until he had his tasks completed the items would do him no good and his tasks were not complete. He would only get her hopes up when he had what he needed to do so. "Both domains have helped me come to understand and feel my ether, the energy we use for spells, in ways I would never have understood before." He realized he might be giving her ideas and shook his head, "But I risked a lot initiating myself into those magics. I would not recommend it." Even though he would have valued sharing the same bond he had with Victor, with Elisabeth.

It came time for them to begin their training drill and Balthazar bounced back and forth on his feet a little bit to get his blood flowing before gesturing for Elisabeth to begin. He knew he was playing a dangerous game fighting against someone who had the full length of a sword but he wouldn't get better at it if he didn't practice and getting his with a stick didn't hurt nearly as much as getting hit with a sword did. Elisabeth came in quickly and mercilessly, two things Balthazar normally admired in a fighter. Elisabeth went for a sweep at his side and it felt like Balthazar could see the 'blade' slowly in motion. His hand shot out to join it, smacking against the side of the wood rather than the edge to knock the sword back.

He figured he could safely strike the sides of a sword without being cut. Elisabeth pulled back and went for a low swipe at his legs, a mistake when fighting someone as trained as he was because he didn't have to move much to lift his foot and stomp down on the wooden sword as it came at him, pinning it and Elisabeth's hand (if she didn't let go) to the floor. "You know I'm good with my feet and yet you start by targeting them?" He spoke so she would have a few trills to think of her next move before his fist shot out at her sword arm to try and paralyze the muscle in it.

word count: 802

Mutations

Scars

Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:41 am

Arc 721, 32 Vhalar

"He's not that much younger than we are, love, although some trials, it doesn't feel like it." Elisabeth grinned a bit as she glanced back over at the man they were speaking about and back to Balthazar.

It was easy to forget that while the couple had accomplished quite a bit in their lives, both Elisabeth and Balthazar were young as well. The Yari had almost two arcs on her. Or at least on the birthtrial that had become hers when she was a child. Having been abandoned, the young woman didn't know her actual birthtrial, but it wasn't important anyway. It was apparent that despite not knowing, she and Balthazar were relatively the same age, and Robin a bit younger.

Having been with Balthazar for over an arc, the young Videnese woman was acutely aware of his moods, tones, and 'tells.' Magic was a tricky topic for them. He had initiated her into defiance at her request but hadn't been entirely comfortable with the idea. Elisabeth was well-aware of that fact, and while things had improved after she survived the initiation, he soon lost his magic after that, leaving her to traverse the early trials with a spark largely alone as they both dealt with the fallout of the trial.

She had grown, strived for, and succeeded in advancing defiance, obtaining new mutations along the way. Even though he now had regained connection with his sparks, Elisabeth sensed something had changed regarding how Balthazar felt about magic. Or perhaps it was how he thought about magic regarding her. He always taught her to be cautious, but had the events of the Forging changed his perspective about things? Or even their deepening relationship? It wasn't easy to say. A conversation was probably long overdue, but it wasn't the time for it right then.

Talk continued on the subject of magic, and she laughed a bit as he tried to warn her of following in his footsteps with transmutation and attunement. "Not to worry. I'm not looking to initiate into any other disciplines, although I'd be lying if I said that attunement doesn't fascinate me." The young mage was aware of many things attunement could do, and they seemed helpful, but a second spark didn't interest her.

As the training began, a few things occurred. It had been some time since the pair had squared off against each other, so Balthazar would be able to tell that Elisabeth had grown quicker and stronger instantly. There were other indicators of her growing abilities, but those were much more subtle and easy to miss unless one looked for them.

The Yari managed to swat away her first strike, as anticipated, easily. The second one, the low swipe to his legs, ended rather unceremoniously when he went to pin her hand and sword. She knew what it meant to have an appendage pinned, having been on the receiving end of Balthazar's paralyzing strikes before, and wanted no part of it.

The moment he pinned the sword, ensuring her body was low, Elisabeth immediately let go of the weapon. Keeping a hold of it hadn't been the point of the exercise. It did, however, grant her an opportunity. One way or another, disarming her would have happened. The stated point of the exercise was for her to rearm herself, so really, they were getting the disarming part out of the way so she could move on to the rest.

His comment made her grin, but she said nothing. There was no hesitation as her training sword stayed pinned under his foot, and she moved swiftly, attempting to stomp his instep hard and give herself a few extra trills to grab the other blade, laying on the ground nearby.

word count: 657
Balthazar Black
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:00 pm

32 Vhalar 721
She wasn't wrong about Robin not being much younger than they were but having nearly died dozens of times over, Balthazar didn't put much stock in numbers. Age did not equate to wisdom, it simply equated to how long you could avoid being killed. Especially in a world of mortalborns and reincarnated. He made no further comment on that or her opinions of magic disciplines thought because it was not the point of the training they were there to participate in. Instead he focused on the challenge he'd set out to her already.

Elisabeth dropped her sword quickly when she realized it was pinned but Balthazar didn't take that as an indication she'd grown and stronger or faster, just that she knew it was folly to try and keep a grip on the sword under his foot. Elisabeth attempted to stomp hard on the inside of his foot but when her own landed, it struck only the wooden sword that had been beneath Balthazar. She might have gotten better with a sword, but he was still far faster than her without a weapon in hand and now they were both unarmed. The advantage was his and he pressed it hard. He didn't let her get to the blade on the floor, instead attempting to sweep the leg she had used in an effort to stomp on his foot. He figured her leg would have already be jarred by the impact of her stomp and the sweep would just further unbalance her.

word count: 274

Mutations

Scars

Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:34 pm

Arc 721, 32 Vhalar

Training with Balthazar Black – wait. Fiancé? Intended? Betrothed? Why did she always trip up classifying her relationship with Balthazar? He called her his ‘beloved,’ which was beautiful and always made Elisabeth smile…..

Shaking her head slightly, Elisabeth refocused. There were a lot of positives about sparring with Balthazar. He was the most skilled unarmed fighter she knew, and learning against said skills could only strengthen her own abilities.

On the flip side, he was, undoubtedly, the person that could distract her the easiest. It had taken one thought to send her mind down the rabbit hole of their recent engagement, and while frustrating, she knew that learning how not to be distracted during a fight was invaluable.

Balthazar was fast, as expected, so when her foot came down to stomp, it found the sword. They were in Balthazar’s territory now, although she still had a few tricks up her sleeve. Shifting her foot off the blade, she sensed the trap a second before it happened. If she launched into the air, he would smack her down out of it. Best keep to the ground.

She wasn’t quick enough to keep from getting hit by his leg sweep, but what she had learned since their last spar was how to preserve momentum. Using the speed of his sweep, she allowed inertia to propel her into a roll. It was a bit jarring, but Elisabeth quickly came upon her feet, keeping her center of gravity low. Her task was to get the sword, not beat him, so she altered her mindset in keeping with that theme. When simple survival was the goal, it opened up a lot more possibilities.

Understanding that for her to get the sword on the ground, she needed to keep him upright, and knowing there was very little she could do to stop him, the best she could hope for was to keep him occupied long enough to grab the sword.

Being low to the ground already, the young mage decided to attempt a leg sweep of her own, hoping whatever evasive maneuver he employed would give her enough time to get to the sword, scrambling that direction.

word count: 382
Balthazar Black
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:47 am

32 Vhalar 721
Balthazar could tell that Elisabeth was distracted while they were sparring. He had suspected it from the beginning but when he noticed her shaking her head periodically, he could recognize the familiar tick. She was thinking about too much and was trying to clear the board. Balthazar didn't let his mind wander. She was distracted and that was all he needed to know to press his advantage. He could figure out why she was thinking about anything but getting the sword and winning the fight later- though it might have done for him to specify that getting the sword itself wasn't when the exercise ended.

Elisabeth took the hit well, rolling when she'd hit the ground rather than letting the impact stop her. Good athleticism. He could admire it without losing focus. He had options on how he wanted to attack. He could push his advantage while she was rolling and attack before she could get back up. He could have reached a foot out and just ruined her roll. He could have done a lot but he did not because he saw an opportunity to arm himself with her training sword. While Elisabeth rolled away, Balthazar picked up the wooden sword they'd been struggling over instead. He told her he would take her sword from her and now he'd done that.

All she had to do was avoid being struck long enough to get her sword but she went for a low leg sweep. Unfortunately a familiar move and while he was armed, he was not worried about it. He didn't evade. He brought the sword down in a simple swing and struck her leg with it when it came in to strike him. The force she put behind her kick wasn't stopped entirely by the swing, but it wasn't enough to knock Balthazar off his feet. "The roll was good," he said, "but you should have rolled towards the sword and abandoned close quarters against me." Balthazar took a step back and rubbed his leg where her kick had hit him for a moment.

word count: 371

Mutations

Scars

Return to “Scalvoris Town”