The Night Market!

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus, Avalon, Vulpes

Pig Boy
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 12

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Re: The Night Market!

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:01 pm

60th Ymiden, 721

Oram & Praetorum

Vhunhald wrote: Round 2! Actions are taken by Oram:
  • Oram: You've purchased a good+ quality spyglass and a travelogue of the merchant Vhunhald.
    • The Travelogue when read will grant 3 Navigation knowledge and 3 Cartography Knowledges.
    • The Spyglass can improve your sight-based detection checks by one level when you're using it to spot features far away in the landscape.
    You have no more disposable wealth for the coming round. Any further purchases will require a barter or a task to undertake.
When asked if he'd know of the archer on the crew, Shal'zariain quirked a brow and shrugged. "Perhaps, if you're familiar with the conflict between the Nashaki and the Eternal Empire. He was one of the finest camel-mounted archers in the southern forces. He has more kills recorded in the Tower of Arms than any other archer, whether mounted or otherwise. You'd know his bolt by the red ribbon with a skeletal hand attached to every bolt he shot. You may yet meet him if you choose to progress... As for who he is, it's not mine to reveal such things."

Shal'zariain beamed when Prae complimented his goods. Then he asked yet another interesting question, "I am a trader, how shrewd of you to notice! I don't always make berth in Scalvoris, but my home harbor is the Crescent Harbor west of Nashaki. From there, I've seen nearly every port on the Eastern Continent. I trade primarily in arms, as you may have guessed."

However, when Praetorum revealed he wouldn't be deciding to purchase anything, Shal swiftly snatched the goods from his perusal, and shook his head, "No apologies required, friend. I can see that you have a most discerning eye and that these goods will not satisfy your curiosity. There's no shame in not buying!" So saying, he placed the goods back where they'd been found. He tapped his nose when Praetorum said he'd like to see the more extensive stock. He would note that the merchant was not a Taithir, by the absence of any such mark from his hand.

It was at that point, that Oram boarded the Wicked Wink. Shal held up a finger for Praetorum, signaling that he should wait but a moment, before approaching Oram. "Hello hello! Welcome to the Wicked Wink! You've come at a most fortuitous time, as our friend here has decided to move onto our exclusive stock. You will come with us to browse, yes? Of course, you will!"

So saying, he led Oram and Praetorum to the bowels of the ship, which was lit with red candles, fragrant with the scent of cinnamon and vanilla.

There, Praetorum would find a massive array of ranged combat equipment. There were chiffon ribbons that served as fletchings for bolts and arrows. However, these weren't any ordinary fletchings. While Shal'zariain remained with Oram, to help him along with his search for goods to purchase, there was a man behind the counter, wearing a black turban. He gave Praetorum a hardened stare but laid down the fletchings on the table. There were other things on offer, crossbows, bows of all kinds, and configurations on the back wall, but this man seemed intent on selling the fletchings...

"You have an interest in archery. Or a wish to learn." He stated, looking Praetorum over, "These fletchings are imbued with an effect that gives you an array of information about who or whatever it flies into. It won't work if you don't wear this head-band..." The black-turbaned man laid a headband on the table, that was the same colors as Praetorum's personal sigil. He would notice that the fletchings were the same, and bore the symbol as well. "Yet be careful, because as the bolt lands, you may find the information too much to assess without the appropriate amount of focus."

Shal, meanwhile, was guiding Oram back toward the manuals on fighting. He seemed to know exactly what Oram wanted, and so brought to him a magnificently bound tome, with a lock on it. On it's front binding, was an exquisite bust of a spear in golden leaf. Shal smiled at Oram, and said, "This manual is said to contain the knowledge and even the soul of a man who was the master of spear combat. It is said, in each page, you will be transported to a scene to practice with and be tutored by the master himself." Shal looked at Oram for a moment, but frowned sadly, "But it appears you don't have the coin to spare for this one. No matter, you may either barter or perform a series of tasks for us in order to unlock the treatise, if this is something you want?"
Shal'zariain wrote: Round 2! Actions available:
  • Prae: You have access to enchanted fletchings that collect information on anything they fly into, along with a headband that is meant to accompany their use. You may choose to do one of the following:
    • Purchase or Not No holding off on purchasing. Either you take it or don't.
    • Make a Wish: Ask to see something that you're specifically looking for. Describe what you would like in as much detail as you wish. I will decide the end result, bearing in mind what you describe/want.
    • Leave Or, of course, you can exit this ship and go find another!
  • Oram: You have access to an enchanted treatise that allows you to train with a master in the spear while reading it. You may choose to do one of the following:
    • Purchase or Not No holding off on purchasing. Either you take it or don't.
    • Make a Wish: Ask to see something that you're specifically looking for. Describe what you would like in as much detail as you wish. I will decide the end result, bearing in mind what you describe/want.

Rei'sari

Jurmond wrote: Round 2! Actions taken:
  • Rei'sari: You haven't chosen to purchase what was on offer, but only asked about price. Jurmond has taken this to mean that you're not interested enough in the items, despite appearances. You've decided to see what she has in the more exclusive wares.
"Price? Come now, you either want it or don't. Let's not quibble of issues of price. Obviously these things aren't a 'must-have' for you. But no worries, we do indeed have things that may interest you below!" So saying, she ignored Nathan who hadn't responded to her bartering, and led Rei'sari down below decks.

There, she'd find white candles in lanterns, illuminating the space. The candles were fragrant, bearing hints of honeysuckle and citrus scents. A strange combination, but then it was what it was.

Here, she revealed a series of spices, laying on a spice rack. Jurmond waved a hand at the rack, and smiled at Rei'sari, "This tiny spice rack has flavors of every fruit under the sun. Sprinkle them onto any confection of any kind, and it will take on the essential taste of that fruit." She quirked a brow, "Do these interest you? I think you can afford them, since you didn't buy anything from the last round! One onyx nel for this spice rack!"
Jurmond wrote: Round 2! Actions available:
  • Rei'sari: You have access to an enchanted spice rack with spices that can give the flavor to any confection the essential flavor of any fruit under the sun. You can now choose to do one of the following:
    • Purchase or not Assume your PC has the disposable income to purchase this item without spending WP, since you didn't buy anything last round.
    Nathan has been written out of the event, as he failed to post this round.
Natalia & Zoro

Both of them opted to stay. Yet whereas one wished to continue perusing the mundane items and hadn't purchased what was on offer, Zoro had eyes for the more premium goods. But Theosophuss could work with that, yes he could!

He beamed at Natalia, and brought a small box out from beneath the counter. He unhooked the simple latch from the box and opened it. Inside was a coral nel, crafted and carved from the finest, multi-colored coral. On its face, was a mer, with his head crowned with many tentacles. On the other side, a mer's tail, in the shape of a scaled mer tail. It was all intricately carved throughout. "This token is from Rynmere brought to Scalvoris by one of the Pirate Lords in ages past. A coral nel. It's said to be made by those of the Tidewhisper tribal mer, who run the bank in Rynmere. Giving this token to any Tidewhisper is said to guarantee a favor of any size from them. Unfortunately, not one Tidewhisper has been seen nor heard of again since the Plague of Rynmere... As it stands, this is a pretty trinket, however! Very valuable and small as you asked!"

Next, he brought out a book bound in black leather. It held no letters in gold or silver leaf, but merely blank on its face and bindings. However, inside were stories containing all manner of intriguing mysteries and leads on mysteries around Scalvoris. Ranging from the nature of the strange happenings on the Island itself, to gossip about various personages, some of whom still remain upon the island. It was hers to decide what to do with these items.

For Zoro, the merchant winked, "The discount is that I will give these books for the entire amount of nels you have on you. Normally this would cost a king's ransom, but as it is I can let it go for whatever you have in pocket nels." When Zoro asked to see the premium goods, the merchant smiled broadly and brought out a large scroll case. The scroll case was locked with a mechanism, that would only open presumably with the right combination of turns on its knob-like cap.

"Here, we have a map of the hidden treasure of the famous Privateer, Commodore Zinzo! He is said to have 'liberated' the treasure of no less than three Pirate Lords from out beneath their noses. By following this map, you may find his secret treasure! With the right navigational know-how, of course." The merchant looked at him expectantly, "Will you take this? I'm afraid you've not enough coin left over after buying all of those books, but we can barter. Perhaps your fancy sword or another number of keepsakes you have on you, or you could perform a task?"
Theosophuss wrote: Round 2! Actions available:
  • Natalia: You have access to a book about mysteries regarding the island of scalvoris, which also contains some gossip about contemporary personalities. As well, on offer is a small coral nel, which once was minted by the Tidewhisper clan of Rynmere. You may also:
    • Stick and have the same actions available as in Round 2.
    • Progress to more unusual goods, browsing more premium wares.
  • Zoro : You have purchased a set of The Complete Encyclopaedia of Prophecies On Scalvoris: Arc 300 - 721 and "The Legends and Tales of Scalvoris", and now have access to a scroll case containing the treasure map leading to the secret treasure of Commodore Zinzo! You can now choose to do one of the following:
    • Purchase or not You don't have the disposable income to buy anymore, however, the merchant has offered to barter for it with something you already own, or else to have Zoro perform a series of tasks for the item.
Kori & Balth

"Hmm price? You do not wish to buy." Felice flushed red at the revelation but shrugged all the same. She didn't seem to acknowledge that he had intended to purchase, and so swept the items from his hands, placing them back in their places. "No matter! There are more intriguing items below should you wish to explore."

To Balthazar, Felice smiled as he held onto the books. "You do wish to purchase then? Fine, you must pay then. But payment can wait until later, as you wish to see my truly fantastic items... As for what you have, I can see that you can afford them already. So no worries on that account."

So saying, they led both of them, Kori and Balthazar into the below decks. There, she showed them an array of items of historical significance to both Scalvoris and other places.

To Balthazar, she showed a series of decanters. If he inspected them, she'd explain what they were for. "I'm afraid the knowledge of what a spark exactly is is privileged information, known only to select Immortals... However, I do have something of historical significance that might interest you." SHe waved her hand at the decanters before them, "A series of flasks, once owned by certain members of the Seekers. Each of these decanters can be used to gain awareness of progenitors of the spark, in a lineage from mentor to initiate. Who knows what arcane secrets they may contain if one could go back several generations through their arcane lineage?"

She looked at his paradigm cuffs again, and made an apologetic expression, "You don't have enough disposable wealth left over, with the purchase of those books. So I will require a barter or trade of services. Either you give me those paradigm cuffs, in exchange for these flasks, or you can perform a series of tasks. One or the other, What say you?"

Giving Balthazar some time to think over her proposal, she looked over to Kori, "Cheekka is a very private person. If you wish, I can bring you to meet her? I'm not at liberty to discuss the details of my employer's private details, however."

That said, Felice showed Kori some items. She showed him a book with an embossed socket on its binding. Its pages were sealed with a lock, presumably for which one would need a key. She explained, "This book contains blank pages." She said, her face blank for a moment. Then she flashed Kori a smile. "If you place any object upon the embossed socket, the pages will reveal the item's history in a language you can understand." She held up a key in front of his face, it was bronze, nothing special about it by looking. "I will sell you the key, for all the nel you have on you right now. Since you didn't make a purchase last round, I must surmise you have enough for it?" She winked at him.

Cheekka / Felice wrote: Round 2! Actions available:
  • Kori: You have access to a book of Psychometry. You can now make one of the following choices:
    • Purchase or not Assume your PC has the disposable income to purchase this item without spending WP, since you didn't buy anything last round.
  • Balth : You have agreed to purchase the books/scrolls you have. What their details will be revealed at the end of the thread. You also have access to those special flasks, that let you look into the past of progenitors of your own spark, similar to Genetic memory from Bellinos. You may choose to do one of the following:
    • Purchase or not Your pc must perform a task or trade the paradigm cuffs for these decanters.

Darius

"Ahhh, Vadni Ratsa... There's a name I haven't heard in..." But then Vhunhald smirked and laughed, "Oh who are we kidding, tales of his exploits are ubiquitous. What could you possibly want to know about him that hasn't been sung about in every port from here to the Southern Seas?" Vhunhald winked, but then leaned conspiratorially toward Darius, " Aye, there are tales lesser known about him, believe it or not."

"Did you know, for instance, that he had many a magical artifact? It's true. And I hear he was the son of a son of Casion but himself blessed by Chamadarst. It's how he was able to get beyond blockades unnoticed without so much as a ballista fired. Have ya heard of the Great Blockade of Yaralon? No?"

Vhunhald smiled, and relaxed as he remembered the story, "Well, they say that the Eternal Fleet along with the Ivorian Navy set a blockade out of Yaralon, just ten arcs hence for about an entire arc. Well, Ratsa himself decided to run through the blockade, some three months worth of grain and preserved fruit, farmed fresh from Nashaki's more fertile areas. It promised to be a lucrative venture."

He rose to his height, and then bent down to retrieve something from beneath the counter. "Well, it were too easy for one such as him to pass unnoticed through the blockade, so he sent his men along, who he trusted, to cash in on the wealth of food he brought to the starvin' city-state of Yaralon. While he got in his longboat, and dropped out from The Legend. Well, he takes a swig of rum from his famous mug, and then starts a'rowin for the flagship of the Ivorian Admiral."

Here Vhunhald smiled to remember the tale, and there was a glint in his eye as he told it to Darius, "Well, he spots the Admiral's daughter from the balcony of the flagship's castle. He sneaks right up the rear of the flagship, easy as can be, and woos the admiral's daughter, having a go with her in the Admiral's own cabin! But when he refuses to stay with her, saying he must get on to wider waters, she don't take it so well. Y'see, she were a covetous wench, almost as much as ol' Ratsa hisself. So as he flies out the window to the castle, she tries to grab him, but filches his famous mug from him before he can slip off from the prow of the ship."

"Long story short, that's how Ratsa lost his famous mug... and eventually it come under our ship's captain's possession." Here, he pushed the mug toward Darius, and smiled, "It's said, anyone what drinks a swig of rum or any kind of spirit from the rim of the mug, will be able to spot a man or woman's worth or wealth just at a glance. The effects last a bit, and can be done once a trial." He smirked, confident that he'd piqued Darius' interest. "So, yer interested in it?"
Vhunhald wrote: Round 2! Actions available:
  • Darius: You traded a story and now have access to an artifact, Vadni Ratsa's own clay mug. You can choose one of the following:
Off Topic
Hey guys, if you have any questions about any part of this post, please feel free to send me a PM and I will clarify!

Just a note, the merchants didn't consider the request for a price to be a purchase, and so have moved on to potentially more tempting items. Please note that you must guarantee intent to purchase in order to acquire the things you're looking at, or else they will go back on the shelves. These merchants do not intend to waffle about what you're purchasing or not.

For those who were offered to do a task to earn an item: If you agree to a task, you'd be doing no less than three follow-up threads (done in this cycle or the next) related to the task, in order to earn the use of the item. At the end of the three threads, after they're reviewed, I'd stamp them saying the item is earned. You may accomplish these tasks this cycle or the next, and then the item will be sent along to you.

Next Post: Friday 24th September, 2021.
word count: 3712
Rei'sari
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +431
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8
Medal count: 14

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:30 am

60th Ymiden, 721

Rei'sari blinked, startled when the merchant took the books she had been interested in back when she asked about the price. The merchant told her not to quibble about "issues of price," but in Rei'sari's mind, the price of an item was kind of important. How else would you know if you could afford something or not if you didn't know how much it cost? And what would happen if you promised to buy an item that it turned out you couldn't afford?

These questions lingered in Rei'sari's mind as she followed the merchant below the decks of the ship. She wondered vaguely where the man who had been browsing the wares with her had gone since he seemed to have vanished, but she quickly dismissed that thought as she was entranced by the scent in the room she had just entered. It smelled of both flowers, and fruit at the same time. She didn't recognize the scent of the flower, but she thought it was quite nice. The fruit was a nice, crisp citrus scent, and one that Rei'sari loved. Combined, the floral and fruity scents produced a scent that Rei'sari really enjoyed. The white candles in the lanterns were a nice way of lighting the room.

"Those candles have a very nice scent. I recognize the citrus notes, but what type of flower is combined with it?" she asked curiously.

All thoughts of the scent, nice as it was, were quickly forgotten when the merchant showed her the spice rack, and explained to her what the various spices would do. Her eyes widened at the thought. The flavors of every type or fruit in Idalos? And all she had to do to use them was sprinkle them on any kind of confection? She was a decent cook. Not a great one, but she could certainly manage simple pastries, and with those spices...

"They do interest me very much, and I'll buy them." she said with a smile.

To her, those spices would have been worth any price, and Rei'sari could see what the merchant meant about something being a "must have," or not. The cookbooks had been interesting, but not something that she had been willing to commit to buying instantly. These spices, though...she didn't have to think about this decision at all. She wanted them. Plain and simple. No...it was more than that. She needed them. Her interest in cooking had sprung from a desire to learn how to make the fruity desserts that she craved, and this...this...would give her exactly what she wanted.

word count: 459
Rei'sari was formerly Ari'sora, but after getting a fresh start in life and a new appearance from Vega, she changed her name to Rei'sari.
Balthazar Black
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Human
Profession: Element
Renown: +1000 +
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 9

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:01 am

60 Ymiden 721
Felice decided quickly whether or not her customers intended to purchase that which she'd shown them which told Balthazar that the ship was successful. She wasted no time in taking back that which Kori'an had asked a price for and she determined quickly that Balthazar wanted to purchase the books and scrolls he held onto. She assured him they could handle payment later and Balthazar's brow furrowed a little. How did she know what he could and could not afford? What if he was presenting himself as less wealthy on purpose? No... it seemed she knew. He wished his ability to appraise people was as keen as hers. She lead them below deck quickly and continued trying to make her sales.

Felice showed Balthazar to a collection of decanters, each with their own impressive and unique appearance. She took him for a drinker? It had been a bit but... she really could appraise people. Before she explained what they did, Balthazar was going to quickly refuse the offer. He did not drink as much anymore and it wasn't a habit he really wanted to pick up again so he didn't need decanters, no matter how nice they looked. He could justify buying the books because he could share them with others later if he decided the content should be shared. It wasn't so much that he would gatekeep knowledge as much as he wasn't willing to lend the books out if they possessed valuable information.

Then again he could read it once and produce as many copies of the information as he wanted off of memory so the books would only really do anything for him on the first read unless he decided to go through and annotate it. Felice said that the origin of the spark was privileged knowledge that only select Immortals knew and her phrasing intrigued Balthazar. What determined that privilege? Who selected the Immortals who knew and to those who did know, how did they find out? There were many immortals. Figuring out which one knew the origin was nothing like figuring out which suspect was hiding a secret. He couldn't just call them all into a room and ask questions. He'd have to employ different methods to figure this out.

Felice explained that the decanters had been owned by a member of the Seekers and that each one could be used to look back generations through his spark's lineage. Balthazar thought of the genetic memory granted to him by Vri in comparison to what Felice was describing and if it was anything like that... the decision was already made. Balthazar had four sparks. Four different path's that might be explored to find arcane secrets but more than that, if he could utilize the decanters that were once owned by a member of the Seekers, then he could probably allow other mages he knew to use the decanters to explore their own history. If not, he was content to keep it to himself but... the opportunity to learn about magic was too great to pass up.

Then came the requested price. Balthazar's eyes drifted down to the paradigm bindings around his wrists that he'd often considered removing. Without the supervision he had in Ashan, it would be so easy to pull them off and go back to how things had been. Easy, but wrong. Confronted with losing the chance to gain great mystical knowledge if he was unwilling to break one rule, Balthazar knew what he'd have done an arc ago. He was glad he was not who he was then. He wouldn't give up the paradigm. Fortunately that was not the only choice. There was the proposition of tasks which to someone like Balthazar, was equally troubling.

Felice seemed to negotiate rather ruthlessly in that she did not negotiate. Kori'an revealed that when he asked about price. Still... it was better than removing the bindings. He listened to Felice while she showed Kori'an another interesting item. He made the decision in the back of his mind and listened to her description of what the journal would do. His mind leapt to Elisabeth and her necklace. He could never forget what had happened to him both times he used magic to try and discover it's secrets but the journal... it might work... or it might be destroyed. Either way Balthazar saw an opportunity to give Elisabeth something he knew she wanted, even though she didn't always show it- answers. He didn't feel right pulling it from the relative stranger for his own gain though, so he kept it in his mind like a wish when he went to address Felice's offer.

"These were given to me by the Elements to assist my pursuit. They are not mine to trade away." Balthazar said, "But you are good at your job, an excellent salesperson. I'll agree to perform the tasks you request." He was putting faith in her not to abuse this permission but given that he was a Flame Trooper of the Elements, he did not suspect she was going to request he did anything illegal unless she thought her flasks a sufficient bribe. "And should he choose not to purchase it or should you have something else like that journal in your collection, I'd like it as well." Balthazar gestured to that which Felice had shown Kori'an, "Assuming I can't afford it I would be willing to perform more tasks in exchange for it." He did not explain why he wanted it. He did not need to give Felice the leverage of knowing how much he wanted it and he did his best to try and ensure she couldn't tell.
OOC
Actions:
1. Balthazar has agreed to perform the tasks for the decanters.
2. Make a Wish - Balth wants the journal Felice showed Kori'an or something similar.
3. Not leaving yet.

Favor Agreed To:
Decanter Set

Favor Offer For:
Psychometry Journal or similar item

Shopping Cart:
Three good books on the Immortals Vri, Famula, Pier & Pre.
Five books and Three scrolls on Domain Magic.
word count: 1052

Snazzy Wrist Bands

• Tall, Dark, and... Well He Was Always Brooding: Balthazar is now wearing Paradigm cuffs as a part of his sentence which means he no longer had any of his mutations! He still has dark black fingertips and nails from his Bellinos mark but now his hair is brown, shorter, and his eyes are also... brown.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks in Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Oram Mednix
Approved Character
Profession: Trapper
Renown: +660
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8
Medal count: 14

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:51 pm

The sum of all spears, or at least, the sub-total before sales tax.

As Oram left the deck of the Silver Siren with his purchases, he thought to try out his newly-acquired spyglass. Since it was evening now, and most of the surrounding terrain darkened, the traveler decided to try the glass out on the moon Zilis. Finding it in the sky, he raised the glass upwards, aiming it at the moon. He was curious to see what features if any, he might be able to make out on the body’s surface. Once he had satisfied his curiosity there, he would tuck the little telescope into his belt, and the travel book he had bought under his arm, as went to the next ship.

This was the Wicked Wink, with deep red sails that looked almost black in the moonlight, and an ensign showing a shield. Oram had guessed the theme of this ship’s merchandise might have something to do with weapons, armor, and/or combat, and upon going below, he found that he was right. The merchant there was talking to an ithecal, whom the traveler recognized to be Praetorum. He gave Prae a respectful nod before turning his attention to the merchant, who had greeted him.

He took a moment to consider the merchant’s offer. Exclusive stock? Sure, why not?

Once down in the deeper decks of the ship, the merchant showed Oram a book. Its cover showed the gilded image of a spear, and it was fastened with a locked metal band, presumably to conceal its supposed secrets from browsing eyes. Eager to learn more about his preferred weapon, the hunter shared the merchant’s sadness upon realizing that he had not the coin at hand to purchase the tome.

Yet the prospect of learning from its pages sounded so tempting, and the bid from the merchant? Tasks to perform. If there was one thing Oram was not averse to, it was working for something. Of course, if the tasks the merchant proposed were onerous, or unethical, Oram would not do them. Failing that, however, he was happy to exchange services for goods with the man.

”Tell me what you would like done,” he said simply, with a nod and a smile. ”Within reason, I would gladly agree to perform tasks for you in exchange for this book, if its contents are as wondrous as you claim!”
word count: 405
Villains are powerless against story beats.
Darius Baer
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: +600
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 27

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:11 am

When Darius had been young, and his mother had taken him to the Night Market, she had taught him the basics in haggling.

"The most important thing, Baby Baer," she once said, "is to never give away just how much you want to buy something. If the merchant thinks you aren't particularly interested in an item, they have less bargaining power. But as soon as they realise you really want that special thing, the price will go up."

Darius realised, in the present moment, that his widening eyes and slowly dropping jaw was doing precisely what his mother had suggested he should avoid. But the tale of Vadni's magical mug was too fantastical that he simply couldn't resist reacting.

The bearded blond tried to make a mental note of every detail that the merchant gave. He hoped to write it down later, and he was hopeful that Cassion would appreciate the tale.

The item itself was unquestionably remarkable - assuming it was the genuine article, of course. Darius had no way of knowing, but he also realised that he didn't really have a personal use for it. For an individual like Vadni the Bard, it only made sense to want to know how much wealth belonged to an individual. That way, he could engage in whatever piratical acts that he desired. Likewise, such an item would suit a gambler, a swindler, or a thief - and Darius had no desire to become known as any of those.

One fleeting thought did cross his mind, though. If he was able to purchase the mug and somehow find himself face to face with Vadni Ratsa, he might be able to barter with the man for a tale of his own. But equally, the pirate might become enraged that Darius had it and fight to get it back.

On balance, he decided that the story was remarkable, but the item itself wasn't a good fit.

"Thank you," he eventually replied to Vhunhald. "That is quite a tale. Do you mind if I write that down later on? I would happily make it clear that it was you who told me the story."

Leafing through some more pages of the book, he happened upon the name of another pirate.

"Do you have anything associated with Liathen the Guardian, perhaps?"

None of the Pirate Lords sounded like they were particularly approachable, but perhaps someone with a ship called The Shield Of Scalvoris wouldn't be so hostile to a fellow Scalvorian who was in possession of something that belonged to her.

"Or a means of finding where the Pirate Lords have disappeared to, maybe?" he offered as another hopeful alternative. "A map, a compass, a telescope or a sextant...?"
word count: 465
Pig Boy
General Staff
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:35 pm

Sorry, I ate your reply, but I'll make another next week...

Heya players. I've decided to postpone the next reply to the Night Market until the 3rd of October. I'm doing this as we're a bit swamped and I need time for cycle change and Global things. Plus it gives you lovely people more time to think of a reply.

Sorry for those who've already posted, I will try to make the next round worth it!

word count: 81
Zoro Astrian
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Renown: +50
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Medal count: 4

Contribution

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:08 pm

Zoro was delighted with his purchase of “The Complete Encyclopaedia of Prophecies on Scalvoris Arc 300 -721” and in addition to this the “Legends and Tales of Scalvoris”. Zoro felt a little sorry for the merchant and wished he’d brought some more spending money, but a bargain was a bargain and he was happy as he handed over all the money he had on him.

He was also desperately keen to have the treasure map of Commodore Zinzo! He had been fascinated from early childhood by the pirates and the pirate lords of Scalvoris especially, being equally terrified and enthralled at the same time by their tales of daring and adventure. As a child, he and his sisters, brothers, cousins and sundry other relatives often played at being pirates, much to the adults displeasure and disapproval, often prompting a lecture from a grandparent, aunt or uncle about the evilness of piracy. It just made more intriguing.

Coincidentally, Zoro had had a great uncle Zinzo, however little was known of him and he left the clan when he was relatively young. Zoro’s great aunt Zelda however had remembered him and had not been impressed by Zinzo’s appearance, behaviour or general existence. She said his nickname had been “Keiser” and when things went wrong he was one of the usual suspects.

Zoro wanted the map. He wondered if Commodore Zinzo was, in fact, his great uncle. His mind raced for a moment and then Zoro breathed in, lifted his chin and answered. “I would be very happy to perform a task or undertake a quest as payment, but I must be clear with you that I am a moral man and I will not harm or allow by my inaction, harm to come to any mortal soul” His eyes swirled pink as he stood so firmly on his ground but he was, in this, unshakable. They were big words, Zoro knew, but he Song Forged of Sweetwine and he had stood in the Heart of Scalvoris so he was sure that his metal had been tested then, and that he would not hesitate to perform what tasks were required, so long as they were not morally wrong.

“Tell me, sir, what would you have me do?” Zoro asked. “Or, if we can not come to an agreement, I could always pop home and get more money. But tell me, have you ever seen a fairy? A real, genuine fairy? Would you trade this map for the chance to speak to one?”

Maureen – his diri, and the fairy in question – chuckled in his ear. Currently, only Zoro could see her, but she could make herself visible if she chose. As he said that, though, he heard her soft laughter and the words, ‘you tricksy blighter! It seems that even you can be taught!”

word count: 473
Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +115
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:13 pm

Ymiden 60, Arc 721
Natalia considered the items that Theosophuss brought her, quickly agreeing on the coral nel and book. She felt that the intended recipient of the small gift would be appreciative, and hopefully the book would lead her in a new direction. Maybe even a few. “Thank you for your attention to detail, Theosophuss. I appreciate that trait. These will do nicely – I’ll take them.”

Giving him a polite smile, she allowed him to retain the items, the young woman looked further. The man that had spoken to her earlier, Zoro, seemed to be preoccupied with his negotiations so she didn’t bother either man until things settled a bit. Natalia wasn’t in hurry and the situation didn’t warrant expediency.

Strolling around the deck, she eyed more books on various subjects, letting her mind wander a bit as she considered the transactions taking place, and the various tactics being employed. Just because she wasn’t actively appearing to pay attention didn’t mean she wasn’t. There was always information to be had if one was observant enough.

Finally, once the two were done with whatever they were doing, she sauntered back over Theosophuss’ direction, giving him another smile. “Do you have any other items available that perhaps aren’t on display on deck?" Natalia has something specific in mind, although she had just thought of it. “I’ve been looking for a set of throwing daggers for some time. Slender, easily concealable. I enjoy the concept of hiding things from people that don’t need to see them or know of their whereabouts.”

It had been a quick thought really, but one that gained traction in her mind the more she thought about it. She was in the process of learning how to wield her dagger, and soon, hopefully, she would learn how to turn her more one-on-one, close range weapon into something that would give her a bit of range. Having an attacker almost on top of one before there was the possibility of using a weapon was not optimal.

Grinning a bit at Theosophuss, she gave a small shrug of her shoulders. "I take personal protection very seriously."
OOC
  • Natalia is buying the book and coral nel
  • Natalia will stick
  • Natalia asked about throwing daggers or something in that vein.
word count: 405
Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: +750
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Medal count: 6

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:21 am

Praetorum glanced over as Oram arrived, smiling at his fellow forged before turning back to Shal’zariain. When the Nashaki campaign was mentioned, Prae said nothing, simply nodding. He had been in that conflict himself, though he didn’t recall hearing about such an archer—he’d never paid much attention to gossip of that sort, reasoning that if someone were to try and kill him, it didn’t really matter how famous they might or might not be.

Following the merchant down into the ship, Prae found himself in front of a counter, and another man, this one a little less talkative. The wares, or rather, ware that he offered though, was much more interesting to Praetorum.

Praetorum had initially been looking for something that would help him improve in the use of the crossbow, but that was something he could do with practice and instruction anyways. What this man was offering was much more interesting—information on whatever Prae might fight, if he could take a moment to wear the headband and shoot it first. Information was valuable, especially given the fights Prae had been in recently. He still shuddered to remember the fight against Rhaum and Icarus—knowing more of their capabilities could have helped a great deal.

“You do have some very interesting stock,” Prae said with a friendly smile. “I would like to purchase these, thank you.”

It was a bit of a gamble, Prae had to admit. He didn't know what else this place might have that he'd prefer to spend his coin on; but he was sure he'd be able to figure something out.
word count: 281
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand
  • A ring of light around his left forearm

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
  • The area around him is slightly more static-y than normal
Pig Boy
General Staff
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:38 pm

60th Ymiden, 721

Oram & Praetorum

Balthazar

"Hmmm..." Felice remarked, as Kori excused himself from the below decks, and left the ship. She only spared him a passing glance before turning back to Balthazar. "You are greedy, sir. But I like that."

"Just bear in mind, you won't be able to use these items until your task is completed. The decanters are sealed with a glue that can only be undone by a particular alchemical solvent, known to our crew. The Journal is sealed with a key. Both will be sent to you upon the completion of six tasks, and you have to agree. Or we will keep these things, and you may leave."

She pushed the decanters forward, as well as the journal she'd offered to Kori, putting it within Balthazar's reach. "You can have all of this, for the promise of a set of tasks. Or you can give it all up, including those history books, and let me show you something truly exceptional?" She wondered idly if his curiosity outweighed his greed for the items on offer.

She waited for his reply, wondering which choice he would take.
OOC
Felice is offering:

1. Six tasks in exchange for unlocking the decanters and the journal.
2. Offer to give up everything in the shopping cart and on the table in order to have a look at something exceptional, beyond the quality she's shown here.
3. Leave the ship. Next round will be the last.
Oram and Praetorum:

Shal looked at Oram skeptically, wondering if this man truly had the mettle to do what he would require of him. In the end, he craned his neck to look at Praetorum where he stood negotiating with the archer. Then he turned to Oram, "Well you're in luck. Only one task I will need from you, in exchange for this book. Convince your Ithecal friend there to trade his shield for the stock in front of him, or this training manual goes away. Or..." Here Shal leaned forward as if to conspire, "You may leave this manual aside, and have a look at something truly exceptional? The choice is yours."

The turban-wearing archer looked at Praetorum, and shrugged at his compliment. Then he craned his neck to look at Oram. "You can have this stock, if you convince that man to trade his special whistle for the journal. An Eagle Bone Whislte of Valor. He has one. I want it. Or you can leave all this behind, and I can show you something of true and exceptional value, something beyond compare."
OOC
Shal'zarian and the archer are offering Oram and Prae (respectively):

1. Do the task asked now in order to acquire access to the items.
2. Forget what is in front of you, as well as everything you've bought, and have a look at something beyond compare.
3. Leave the ship (last round is next round)
Zoro and Natalia:

The merchant rubbed his chin at Zoro, as the offer was made. Of course, it couldn't escape his notice that Zoro was eager to acquire the map, as well as hang on to his Encyclopedia collection. He was in fact the perfect mark customer. Yet, when he offered to allow the merchant to have a chat with a fairy, the merchant's eyes twinkled with delight. "Well, I must admit I'm curious. You've offered something that is rare enough, and I'm wondering... What kind of fairy?" Should Zoro answer one way or another, the merchant's reply would be a shrug. "I will humor this offer, on the condition that my tasks be appropriate to such an upright and honest man. But I will not let this map go for anything short of the tasks I set you to. The chat with a fairy will buy you my good-will and honest dealings. Nothing more. However you must accept now."

Here the merchant smiled at him, but beckoned him closer, "However, I can offer you something truly exceptional, if you'd return what you've already bought. I will of course give you a full refund of your money. However, know that what I have to show you is truly priceless. The choice is yours. What you have on the table, the fairy chat, and tasks for an honest and upright Bi'qaj." So saying, he waited for the man's answer to his proposition. 'Or a chance to see something truly priceless."

To Natalia, Theo allowed her to purchase the items, retaining them for when she was ready to check out. To her request for another set of mundane items, he scratched his chin, curious. "Not on this ship, I'm afraid. We sell Scalvoris paraphernalia, we do not sell weapons here." He let that sink in a few moments, before lighting up, and raising his finger to the air. "Ah! But we do have something that might fit the bill for concealment of such articles... A leather girdle that used to belong to The Red Seas, Gwiona Shakari herself. Now, she used to conceal throwing axes in this girdle..." Theo showed her the girdle, it was around five inches broad, and long enough to wrap around the waist. It was red, as if blood-stained, but inside were compartments for the concealment of hurlbat, full metal throwing axes. Sans the axes, of course. "But you could surely fit throwing daggers or knives into it."

"What say you? Do you want it?"

Theo's eyes darkened for a moment, and then he leaned in to whisper to Natalia, "Or you can give up what you have me retaining, and this offer of a girdle, and I can show you something truly extraordinary, something beyond valuable."

"Make your choice."
OOC
The merchants are giving Zoro and Natalia a choice:

Zoro:
1. Show the merchant the fairy, and let it have a chat with him while he finds an honest/lawful set of tasks for Zoro to undertake, in order to acquire access to the scrollcase containing the map.
2. Give everything you've acquired so far, in order for a chance to see and perhaps bargain for something truly exceptional.
3. Leave the ship (Last round will be the next one.)

Natalia:
1. On retainer is the coral nel and the book. On offer is the Girdle of the Red Seas, a girdle that can conceal throwing knives/axes.
2. Give up everything on retainer, as well as the offer of the girdle, in order to see something beyond valuable, and perhpas to bargain for it.
3. Leave the ship (Next round will be the last round.)
Darius:

"No need to give credit, laddy. We don't need it." He shrugged, and placed the mug back under the counter, in a waiting chest where it could be kept safely.

"Aye but I do have something to do with Liathen the Guardian... Something you might find interesting." He pulled out something from beneath the counter, after rifling through several boxes to find just what he needed. When he returned to the surface, he laid it down on the counter. At first glance, it appeared to be some cloth knot, with mismatched threads braided into a sort of 6 inch lanyard or little braid. "This is the sword knot of the Guardian. Y'know she used to swing a big sword, and took many a ship brutally. But she were protective of us Scalvites, and never harmed a prisoner or a slave willing to give up peacefully. As a manner of compact with her, she took a lock of hair from any slave with hair long enough. And added it to her sword knot, which ye can see here."

So saying, he slid the knot over toward Darius to have him look at it. "As fer finding the Pirate Lords what disappeared, it's said if you hang this from the top of your ship's mast, it's lower knot will fly and point in the direction of the Guardian's secret treasure." He held out his hands in a skeptical shrug, "I don't know if that be true, but the knot is the true article. And if'n it leads to the treasure, well yer can be certain to meet the Guardian, should one piece of treasure slip from that hoard... Let's hear another story, if'n yer have one, and I'll let it go for a song."

"But maybe that's not intriguing enough. Yer can give up all I've offered, and all you've got on retainer, for a chance to see something truly marvelous and exceptional. Beyond compare and beyond value. The choice is yers laddy."
OOC

Three choices:

1. Trade a story for the lanyard/sword knot.
2. Offer to give up what's on the table in exchange for seeing something truly marvelous and exceptional.
3. Leave (Next round will be the last.)
Rei'Sari

"Honeysuckle." Said the woman, in answer to Rei'sari's question as to what flower scents were infused in the candle. But then, they came to the product that was on offer, and all thoughts of the candles seemed to leave that space.

"Then you'll buy them? One Onyx nel." She said, getting ready to take the spices off the rack, before she stopped herself. "Or, if you're feeling very adventurous... I can show you somethingi truly delicious and really beyond compare. But you will have to leave these spices behind, in order to get that chance." She said, sadly.

"Make your choice, dear."
OOC
1. You may purchase the spice rack for an onyx nel (Please assume that you just happen to have an onyx nel in your purse/pocket/bag. Even if your character didn't pack it that day, it was there when you look for it :P
2. Or give up the spices, and have a look at something truly delicious and really beyond compare.
3. Leave the ship (Next round will be the last.)
Next Post: 13th October, 2021.
word count: 1719

Return to “Scalvoris Town”