The Night Market!

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus, Avalon, Vulpes

Oram Mednix
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Trapper
Renown: +645
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8
Medal count: 14

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Night Market!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:33 am

Beyond compare *this*

Oram’s face darkened as Shal spoke. The exotic merchant made a bizarre proposal, one the hunter right away did not like. Persuade Praetorum to make a trade? And that one trade would net them both the entire archery-related stock the ithecal was looking at, and the journal? Either Prae’s shield was truly wondrous (or at least the traders thought it was), or the stock in question must be crap. Oram wasn’t even sure if the offer was too good to be true; it was just weird. Worst of all, the merchant was trying to strong-arm him. “…or this training manual goes away”, he had said. Maybe this was some sort of sales tactic, but Oram just found it rude. It sounded like something Zogs would say to a mark.

He grew even more mistrustful, though, when he noticed the other merchant bargaining furtively with Prae. The man spoke sotto voce, so that one had to strain to hear, yet hear him Oram couldMaster Detection. The man seemed to be making a similar offer to Praetorum as the one he had just gotten from Shal. Get Oram to trade his Eagle Bone Whistle for the journal? Again, was the idea that just the whistle would get both customers what they were interested in? Or were the merchants trying to inveigle both items out of the same trade? The latter made no sense; the two of them were bound to compare notes and find out about one another’s offer; surely the merchants weren’t assuming otherwise?

The Eagle Bone Whistle was quite useful; Oram might be willing to exchange it for something that was truly a treasure, truly, as the merchants respectively put it, “exceptional” and “beyond compare.” But not for a pig in a poke like this. He glanced up at the ithecal for a moment, wondering if he should make a show of drawing off with him to do as Shal requested, only to devise a strategy. In the end he decided against it. He didn’t like being tricky in business dealings. And most relevantly, he simply didn’t trust these guys.

”No, thank you,” he told Shal simply. ”On further thought, I think I am content with what I already have. Thank you for your time. Good night. Praetorum,” he ended, bidding farewell to the ithecal as well. And with that, he left. Once above deck, he would look around, wondering if he really wished to visit any further ships, whether the vendors on it would be any different. Perhaps, he wondered, that one with the snowflake on it. As an Ezere-blessed, perhaps that would be a good omen for him.

word count: 453
Villains are powerless against story beats.
Darius Baer
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: +565
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 27

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:28 am

Darius was pleased that Vhunhald did not take issue with him recording a copy of his story about Vadni the Bard, but he felt a sudden pang of self-doubt when the pirate's mug was taken away. Even though he couldn't know for certain that the mug was the genuine article, he was left to wonder if he had just passed up an item that couldn't be bettered.

But that doubt only lasted for a few trills.

When Vhunhald presented the sword knot of Liathen the Guardian, his mood immediately shifted. No longer was he worried that he would live to regret letting an item to unpurchased; now his concern was whether or not he could provide the merchant with a story that would impress him enough to let the artifact go.

Vhunhald had tempted Darius with something else - something unknown to Darius, but which the merchant claimed to be something incomparable and invaluable - but the mariner couldn't think of anything that could compare to the possibility of meeting a Pirate Lord. If Cassion wanted fine seafaring stories, then surely someone like Liathen Almund would surely have plenty worth sharing?

But in order to even have a chance of hearing any of them, he had to share one of his own.

"I almost drowned as a youth when I fell overboard during a squall," he began, "but who hasn't? I rescued a man from a drowner on the way to Almund, but I'm sure you've heard many stories of dangerous sea creatures."

Darius paused, furrowing his brow as he contemplated what story might appeal to his fellow seafarer.

And then it struck him.

"Last arc, I hunted a sea wolf called Breachfang off the coast of Havardr. But I don't want to tell you about that - I want to tell you about the Forging that caused the creature to ravage the coastline in the first place."

Darius took a deep breath. He was not the best storyteller, he knew. It was an ability that he had always admired in his father, but he had yet to grasp the finer points of it. But he also knew that the story itself was impressive on its own merits, if he could just extract the best parts from the tale.

"When Faldrass erupted, I was inside the volcano."

He let that sentence hang in the air, hopeful that it was enough to pique Vhunhald's curiosity. He tried to avoid sounding too excited about what he'd just said. His tone had been matter-of-fact, as if what he had just claimed was nothing out of the ordinary.

"Baron von Smooglenuff sent out a call for adventurers, and a dozen or so of us answered the call. But not everyone was up to the task. A few were injured when the floor of the baron's manor gave way; others fled. But the rest of us pressed on."

Darius paused, hoping the gauge the man's level of interest, but ultimately he pushed on, just as he and the others in his story had done.

"We were separated into different groups, and infighting broke out in one of the other ones. It spiralled out of control and caused a storm, and then the eruption, while the rest of us were inside."

Only then did Darius' voice reveal any excitement, his words flowing faster and his dark grey eyes widening as he spoke.

"Lava! Ash! Sulfur stinging our eyes! Rocks crashing down around us! There wasn't a chance to stop and plan, and there was barely enough time to think. We were rushing through caves like rats scrambling through a sewer. We shouldn't have survived, but one of our group prayed to Cassion, and the Taleweaver himself appeared before us! He rescued our injured, and gave us the means with which to free Faldrass from his prison. And that is what happened on the trial of the eruption, when tidal waves crashed across Scalvoris and brought forth creatures like Breachfang to the surface."

Darius leaned forward, resting a fist on the merchant's counter as his voice dropped to a whisper.

"It was Cassion who came to our aid that trial, and it is Cassion who wants me to write down stories of the mariners. If that sword knot does as you claim, then I'm sure I will be gifted more tales for the Man of Roads!"

Had he told all of the story? No, there were portions that he had left out, for he was learning that sharing every last detail could make for a tiresome tale.

Had he told the story well enough? He wasn't sure. Vhunhald would be the judge of that.
word count: 802
Rei'sari
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +431
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8
Medal count: 14

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:07 am

6oth Ymiden, 721

Rei'sari watched eagerly as the merchant made a move towards getting the spices for her. But then she stopped. Rei'sari frowned in confusion, and was about to ask what was wrong when the woman made her a different offer. If she was willing to give up on buying the spices, the merchant would show her something that was "truly delicious and really beyond compare."

The offer was tempting. The spices themselves were amazing, and Rei'sari couldn't even begin to imagine what the merchant would consider to be something "truly delicious and really beyond compare." And yet...the spices. She really wanted to buy those spices. She was already wondering if she should use some of them soon, or wait until she had learned more about cooking and baking so that her cooking skills could really do those spices justice. If she wanted a chance to see what the merchant was offering to show her now, she would have to give the spices up.

Still, she was torn, so she considered the offer for a while. But not for very long because there was really only one possible choice for her. She wanted those spices more than she wanted the chance to see something that might well be a lot better than they were...but it also might not. "Better" was a matter of opinion, after all, and Rei'sari really couldn't think of anything that she would enjoy more than she would enjoy those spices.

"Thank you for the offer, but I would like to buy the spices, please." Rei'sari said politely.

With that, she opened her money pouch, and pulled out the money that she needed. Then she offered it to the merchant with a smile.

word count: 308
Rei'sari was formerly Ari'sora, but after getting a fresh start in life and a new appearance from Vega, she changed her name to Rei'sari.
Balthazar Black
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Element
Renown: +1000 +
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 9

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:20 pm

60 Ymiden 721
Felice's words put a smile on Balthazar's face and he gave a small nod knowing he couldn't deny the assertion. He liked interesting things and it seemed she was peddling them in surplus. She reminded him he would not be able to use the items until the tasks were complete. She insisted the decanters were bound by a glue that only her alchemical solvent could remove. He thought it a challenge to try and create something himself that would remove it, but he had no intention of actually doing it. He was sure he could complete her tasks. He was resourceful.

He was not expecting the offer that followed. Was she a salesperson or was she playing some sort of game? Why forfeit everything he had to see something she considered more exceptional? Just to see it? How could he know it would be worth losing what he had in his reach. Both items were extraordinary already. The books on the immortals and magics would teach him things he assumed he could not learn elsewhere in Scalvoris. The decanters could reveal incredible things to him about magic. The book could help Elisabeth... possibly. Whatever single item she was thinking of couldn't possibly measure up to the potential knowledge to be gained from the things he had already... but what if it did?

There it was- the curiosity that lead him everywhere like a dog following a scent. She hadn't been wrong yet about a single thing she suggested to him. Whatever it was that she had in mind must have been extraordinary. He wanted to know what it was. He really wanted to know... but he wouldn't sacrifice what he had to learn. "I suppose for this trial alone, my greed outweighs my curiosity." Balthazar said with a little look of disappointment on his face. "Remarkably, I really want to see whatever it is you think is more exceptional than these- but I can't give them up for it. These serve too many purposes and goals I don't to abandon. I'll take these," Balthazar said referring to the objects on the table, "and I will perform your tasks. Though if you decided you wanted to show this greedy individual the truly exceptional item regardless, I don't think there is anything that can't be negotiated- trades could be made. I'm not sure you'll find another interested party tonight. I've been wrong before though and as I've experienced, you're very good at what you do."
OOC
Actions:
1. Balthazar will take the offer of six tasks for the decanter set and the journal. He will also get the books
2. Balthazar is attempting to get Felice to show him the item she called exceptional anyways.

Favor Agreed To:
Decanter Set
Psychometry Journal

Shopping Cart:
Three good books on the Immortals Vri, Famula, Pier & Pre.
Five books and Three scrolls on Domain Magic.
word count: 513

Snazzy Wrist Bands

• Tall, Dark, and... Well He Was Always Brooding: Balthazar is now wearing Paradigm cuffs as a part of his sentence which means he no longer had any of his mutations! He still has dark black fingertips and nails from his Bellinos mark but now his hair is brown, shorter, and his eyes are also... brown.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks in Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +115
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Ymiden 60, Arc 721
As Theo showed Natalia the leather girdle, she let her fingers touch the fabric, aware that to those that knew better than she, a touch could tell one much about the material and craftsmanship of an item. She didn’t possess those skills, but she could tell that the garment was what he said it was – at least in definition alone. It would serve the purpose he suggested.

She was about ready to agree to the sale when he suggested a more mysterious offer. Arching her eyebrow curiously, Natalia wondered what type of negotiating tactic he was employing. She had often witnessed her father’s dealings, picking up a thing here or there. It was a bizarre tactic for sure, but there was often charm in the unexpected.

Of course, he anticipated her rushing through her decision, which always benefited the seller and not the buyer. She wasn’t prone to rashness, although her choice was quite simple. None of the things she had been shown thus far were things she couldn’t live without. The lure of the unknown was a powerful thing, and wasn’t mystery and adventure something that intrigued her?

Turning to Theo, she smiled. “Alright then. Consider me interested in this ‘extraordinary, something beyond valuable’ item. I’m curious to know what you regard as such.” Secretly, she hoped she hadn’t wasted her time, but it was hard to say. Either way, she had learned things and that was never a bad way to spend time.

OOC
  • Natalia chooses to give up everything on retainer, as well as the offer of the girdle, in order to see something beyond valuable, and perhaps to bargain for it.
word count: 301
Zoro Astrian
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Renown: +50
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Medal count: 4

Contribution

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:33 pm

The chat with the fairy, the merchant explained, would buy his good will and honest dealings? Zoro was more than a little surprised to hear that. Then, the merchant added ‘nothing more’ to the sentence. Then, the merchant explained his deal and made Zoro an offer. He could give up what he had already chosen for the promise of something more, or he could instead maintain with what he had.

A deep frown crossed Zoro’s expression. “Who are you,” he asked, “and what have you done with the merchant who should stand here?” His eyes swirled colours, but Zoro stood his ground. “I’ve never met a merchant who has sought to limit my spending, nor one who informs me that honest from him is only something bought.” Zoro was offended, bordering on angry at this behaviour. “What merchant tells anyone that they can not buy what has already been agreed? What merchant tells any customer that good will and honest dealings must be bought and paid for? And come to that, what merchant ever, in the history of all merchants, goes back on an agreed deal when you had the chance to both take the money I have and get more? Why may I not go home to fetch more coin? This is not the way that barter is done on the seas, nor the land.”

That was definitely the case, Zoro knew that biqaj often traded and this man was being ridiculous. “It is also not the way the Night Market works. You seem to have forgotten that you are selling something and are, instead, telling me that you are usually dishonest and have bad will and seeking to limit the coin I give you.” This was too much for Zoro and he turned to look at Natalia. “This is neither right nor proper and this man is, by his own admission, neither good nor honest and I bid you, pretty lady, to follow me as I exit this vessel and inform the dockmaster of this most bizarre occurrence.”

Zoro had come here to buy things. To trade. This merchant had suddenly turned from a reasonable merchant seeking to make a sale (which he had done, which he had achieved, and which he could have managed much more of and profited from) and had become an untrustworthy soul. “I want those items,” Zoro said. “But at this point, I will forego them rather than do business with you. You sir are a poor merchant and you have changed, spinning on a silver coin. There is something not right here, and I will not be party to it!”

So saying, Zoro Astrian turned and left the ship. In his mind he strode, manfully. He exited with grace and filled with righteous indignation.

“Nice flounce,” Maureen said, drily.

word count: 469
Pig Boy
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 12

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:57 pm

60th Ymiden, 721

Theo smiled as Natalia asked to see what was behind the curtain, so to speak. She did make overtures about thinking about this or that, about doubting whether this was on the up and up. But in the end, in the midst of negotiation, she forgot the most important thing. What she saw in her hands had value. The unknown? The unseeable? That had none, until it was revealed.

And reveal it, Theo did. A curtain suddenly opened behind him, and behind it was a book. Etched in silver leaf upon its cover was the title of a book on caregiving, entitled "A Father's Disappointment".

"Well done! You've given back what you found, and earned, a father's disappointment! This is quite a rare issue." He said, lying. Any copy could be found in the library or Scholar's Nook or elsewhere. It was a very popular edition, in fact.

"Now, off with you, and I'll take these things, thank you very much..." Theo grabbed her things with surprising adroitness, and they were tucked behind the counter. She would shortly after be ushered off the boat, with her book.
ooc

Natalia, you will get a book at the end of the review. I'm afraid to say, you've failed Chamadarst's Test of the Night Market. That said, the book is an object, and will grant a few extra caregivingi knowledges, to be determined at the time of review.
She shook her head at Balthazar, and pushed the goods he'd bargained for toward him. As she did so, she winked at him.

"Now now, no rushing. I'll give you these things to hang onto for now. Wait for my word to arrive by courier. This courier will bear the details of my tasks. But for now? A taste of what is to come." She offered him a small vial from behind the counter, which was a solvent that would act upon one of the bottles. "This will work on the bottle associated with transmutation sparks. Use it to open it, and you might delve into the secret history of magic, if you possess it."

So saying, she also slid over the history tome, allowing him to purchase this as well. "You know the value of things, that is for sure. I would expect nothing less from a Yaralon Mercenary." So saying, she winked, and then went on to usher him out of the shop and off the gangplank leading to the pier.
ooc

Balthazar, you have four decanters. One for Rupturing, one for Defiance, another for Attunement, and finally one for Transmutation. The decanter for Transmutation has been unlocked. The rest are not useable yet.

The book of psychometry is also locked, and will be unlockable through the series of tasks that will grant you access to the remainder of the decanters.

As well, for your shrewd negotiation, you will be offered a boon at the end of the thread.
The merchant with Rei'sari smiled at her, and winked. "You have done well to purchase these precious things in front of you. You know true value when you see it, don't you?" The merchant smiled more broadly, and then offered all that Rei'sari had gathered, the spices that could mimick the flavor of any fruit when applied to candy.

"Now, take these, with my compliments. Thank you for your patronage!" She said, and then Rei'sari would be ushered from the ship, with her gains.
ooc

Rei'sari, you have a magic spice collection now! I will give details for these spices at the end of the thread with the review. As well as this, you'll have earned a minor boon.
Vhunhald gasped at every appropriate moment in Darius' tale. It was truly breathtaking, with all of the twists and turns one would expect. Bravery, steadfastness in the face of danger, the cowardice and selfishness of villains, and even threw in a reference to a great man-eating beast in there. Vhunhald could do nothing but clap for Darius, his stunned silence beaming in his eyes.

"Truly, a story worth telling again and again. I will accept this trade of information. And with it, I offer you happily the sword knot, and a boon." Vhunhald winked at Darius, and then slid the goods that he'd bargained for so far. The books on the pirate lords, as well as the sword knot.

"You've warmed an old trader's heart with such rousing tales, Darius. Well done, and godspeed on your tasks."

So saying, he would be ushered from the boat, as it was time for the Night Market to depart soon. After all the others were ushered off teh boats, the ships sailed, leaving Oram and Zoro travelling along the pier, when they were chance met by a tall dark man, flipping a pair of coins in either hand.
ooc

Darius, you have the sword knot that leads to Liathen the Guardian's treasure. It may or may not lead to a meeting with Liathen herself, should you find it. As well, this comes with a boon and a plothook.
Oram and Zoro.

It was perhaps by fate or chance that Oram and Zoro found themselves walking along the same pier. The ships were leaving, so there would be no more time for either to browse, sadly. But there was a man, dark of hair and dark of robe, who stood in their path, facing them. He flipped two similar coins in his hand, and gave them a tight, professional smile.

"I am Chamadarst. And you two have happened to pass the final test of the Night Market. For that, I offer you a boon, should you accept it."

So saying, he tossed them both the nel that was flipping in his hand. To one then the other. "Once in your lifetime, one side of this nel will buy you another life should you happen to die while carrying it. The other half will purchase the temporary isolation of another, also once in a lifetime. Just this. For two of the more shrewd customers of the Night Market. That is all."

So saying, he did something that Chamadarst didn't often do. He reached out, and if they allowed, would shake their hands. He explained, "With this handshake, I offer my acumen with coin, and an ability to impart the frailty of glass."
ooc

Chamadarst has given you both a coin that does what he says it does. He's also offering his hand for you to shake. Should you accept the hand-shake, he will grant you the ability "Pocket Change" From Sombran's Mark. This increases your seasonal wage by 10 WP.

It will also grant you the ability Glass Touch, with the hand he shook.

The coin is yours regardless of whether you refuse to shake his hand, but if you refuse to shake his hand, those abilities will not be yours.

Please PM me if you accept the hand-shake. This thread is now at an end. I will review in about a week or so.
word count: 1210

Return to “Scalvoris Town”