• Closed • Glass Chessmen, En Prise

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderator: Pegasus

Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Stil unwritten...
Renown: +230
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 4
Medal count: 12

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Glass Chessmen, En Prise

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:11 pm

Arc 721, 30 Ashan

It seemed, for the moment, her words to Chamadarst had at least not ‘irked’ him further. That was good enough for her. Nodding in return, she turned her attention to Bao and Ziell, kneeling in front of the Cadouri once again, folding him up in a soft hug. “We will do what you asked. And when this is over, come visit me on Faldrass, Bao." Rising, she nodded to Ziell and both vanished before her.

Chamadarst told her and Woe what they needed to do and departed as well, leaving them alone. No, not alone. A small girl. THE small girl that had been seen and spoken of in the visions. Trembling and scared, the child began to cry. Needing no further prompting, Elisabeth kneeled and gently held her. The young woman wanted to pick her up but was fearful of scaring her further. Speaking softly, she minded her words, gently caressing the girl's hair “Ru? Is that your name? I’m Elisabeth. We are here to help you and get you home, I promise. To do that, I need to pick you up. Is that ok?”

At first, the girl began to cry harder, prompting the raven-haired mage to simply hold her, eyes glancing up at Woe, silently curious about his thoughts. They needed to move quickly but Ru was traumatized and that needed to be addressed first. Elisabeth also didn’t know if they were safe or would be safe on the trip to Kura’s office. At that moment, she was thankful that she wasn’t alone, even if she was confused and angry about the events that had transpired. She had no experience with children and was completely out of her depth...but she did have experience with wanting to make people feel better. Maybe that was what she needed to draw upon instead.

After a bit more, Elisabeth repeated her question and this time, received no words but the girl nodded her head, sobs slowing a bit. She wasted no time securing her bag and scooping Ru up. Pulling her cloak around the young girl and holding her close, the winds of Ashan still chilly and unsure of the health of the child, she gazed over at Woe with a determined look, still speaking softly for Ru’s benefit. “We should move quickly, I think. Too many unknowns. We can talk…later.”

Oh yes, they would.

Part of Elisabeth wanted to stop and get some food for the girl, check her over for injuries and the like but a greater part felt the need to swiftly make their way to the Albarech. Moving out of the Glass Temple, she held the girl close to her as they moved through the maze of streets, eyes glancing everywhere, looking for any sign of trouble. As well, she kept an eye on Woe. For the moment, their purposes were aligned but until they talked, she wasn’t sure of anything.

The entire time, the young woman spoke softly to Ru. Words of encouragement, soothing, and even a bit of gentle singing. Elisabeth didn’t sing much when other people were around, but the occasion was a bit extraordinary. For her part, Ru didn’t struggle at all against her, allowing Elisabeth to adjust her as needed as they moved through the streets. Occasionally the sobbing returned, then retreated. The trembling was constant though and Elisabeth didn’t know what to do for that…other than what she was doing already. Children were not something she thought about much, although Vega had recently revealed to her that she herself was pregnant. Perhaps the subject had popped into her mind a bit or two since, but she felt very ill-equipt to care for something so precious. All she could hope to accomplish is to protect the girl until they could get help.

As they arrived at the Element Hall where Kura’s office was, Elisabeth found the first person she could and stated their intentions. “We need to see the Albarech immediately, please. My name is Elisabeth Angelus. She knows me. This is an emergency.” Her voice was not rushed or panicked, but insistent.

Sapphire eyes glancing at Woe, Elisabeth bit her bottom lip, gently swaying with Ru in her arms until someone either led them to Kura or a different situation presented itself.

Balthazar, I wish you were here.

word count: 763
Woe
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor
Renown: +690
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 6
Medal count: 9

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: Glass Chessmen, En Prise

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:33 am

Woe didn’t know why they were exchanging Bao for Ru, when they could get Hart instead. The child wasn’t important, clearly, but obviously, the Warden had wanted to trap Hart for some reason that wasn’t clear to Woe. Hey was key, somehow. Woe was just missing one piece of that puzzle, Hart’s significance, and what his sequestering gained for the Warden. Did he have something he wanted or was he considered an asset for the side of Scalvoris? Or did Warden simply have a penchant for collecting mages, as they’d all suspected? But then, Hart was only a fledgling at best. Woe hadn’t the time to teach him that he’d wanted.

And so, as Bao was replaced with a sniffling child, Woe, despite his weakness for children, couldn’t look on her with anything but bitterness and disappointment. So he avoided looking at her. But he did follow closely after Elisabeth. While they went, Ru stared over Elisabeth’s shoulder, sometimes at the surroundings through tear-soaked eyes, sometimes at Woe. It was irksome, to borrow a word from his Patron.

When Elisabeth spoke to Woe, saying that time was essential and they had need of no talk now, Woe couldn’t agree more. He still had to think his way through the problems presented in that Glass Temple. And while he didn’t anticipate the seriousness of the conversation, nor make projections toward that, he nodded at Elisabeth. They certainly would have to clear the air, if it were possible.

Woe was painfully aware of the tangle of emotions on Ru, as he walked along. As much as he tried to trammel himself to them, they were difficult to ignore. Breen once more whined from the Beneath, but Woe would not permit him to enter through whatever doorway it could find. So the Diri maintained its presence in the spirit realm.

Breen wanted desperately to drink in the concept produced by the child, but Woe would not have it. Perhaps in part for malice toward the creature, that had so robbed them of a key figure in this war. The Warden was said to be powerful and ancient. He would not have trapped Woe’s student without a damned good reason. And yet, here they were, with a sobbing babe in tears, instead of the valuable asset that Hart must have been. Who is now at the disposal of the Warden instead?

What was it that they wanted? Woe knew that it wasn’t Slag’s Deep which declared war on Scalvoris. It was the other way around. But why? He was still missing other parts of the puzzle. Perhaps the Albarech would be able to shine a light on it if she were so inclined. But then, Woe doubted someone as important as she would share her innermost strategies and thoughts with the like of him. He was, after all, not anyone of great importance prior to coming to Scalvoris. A stranger in a strange place.

Woe said nothing as Elisabeth told the first person she could that they needed to see the Albarech. He only waited there, with her, in the wings.

Perhaps something good would come of this meeting. Woe was prepared to do his part in this war, either way.

word count: 552
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Profession: Council Member
Renown: +164
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 6

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:46 pm

Kura looked up as her secretary came in, saying that Elisabeth and some others were there to see her. Kura nodded, then set aside the report she was reading as three people entered. Elisabeth was known to her, she couldn't recall that she had met the man with her, and then, of course, there was the girl. "Hello, Ru. Good to see you again." she said, her voice warming somewhat when she looked at her niece. Phelan, sensing the girls distress, took physical form and gently, but quite insistently, took charge of Ru. Wolves were good cuddlers and distressed children liked to cuddle things, after all.

Kura was about to ask what they were doing with her distressed neice, but then a storm started up outside. A spectacularly disasterous storm, in fact, first starting with a tornado that turned into repeated targeted lightning strikes. Kura looked up in surprise, then let a distinctly inhuman growl. "Oh, this just goin' to piss me off." she said, before standing up. She had, thank goodness, long since implemented a practice that copies of all important documents should be kept in multiple locations, which meant that she didn't need to bother trying to save papers. "Out, now!" she snapped, picking up Ru and settling the girl on Phelan. "Hang on, Ru." she said, her tone softening slightly. When the child had a good double handful of wolf fur, which got a mental groan from Phelan but no physical reaction, the wolf took off out of the building in a hurry.

Kura followed, gesturing to the Elements that were always outside her door. "Sound a general alarm, get everyone out of here, now!" she said, as she started to smell smoke. She hurried out of the building, stopping an beggar woman from entering the Element Hall. "Not a good time, ma'am." she said, her tone firm. Then, she started to oversee the evacuation from the building. Elisabeth and her friend, unfortunately, would have to wait a bit.
word count: 342
Please send all PM's to my Basilisk account.
Pegasus
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 37

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:37 pm

”I want my Hat,” Ru whimpered against Elisabeth as they got there.

"I want my Hat,"

It seemed to be all she could say. There were storms - and then there were storms. And this was a Storm with a capital S. Come to that, it had a capital T, O, R and M, too. Lightning struck and the building was half way to on fire before Kura - or anyone - realised what that loud bang was.

Thankfully, the Elements were well-trained, efficient, and prepared. The alarm was sounding and they were moving. The building was evacuating, quickly. Hail stones pelted them, as they were outside and then, Kura spoke to the beggar-woman. "She's angry, and not speaking, just hitting out like a child!" Grizelda looked at Kura and impossibly green eyes gazed at her. "She's an idiot, but I need to learn what's makin' her so angry!" Looking at Kura with a scowl, she sighed. "Stubborn as your mother, you are," She sighed.

Meanwhile, Phelan was carrying the child.

”I want my Hat,” she whispered to the wolf. "My could hear him, but not see him."

She sobbed. "The shadow- lady came an' made him dark, an' my not see him." She cried. "I want my Hat,"

And around them, the Element Hall burned and people tried to save the building.

At the words, "the shadow-lady", Grizelda the beggar cursed. The woman who had looked at Kura but trill before stood, rather confused. Blue eyes, watery with age and confused looked at Kura and then, seeing the building on fire, Grizelda, the beggar-woman, screamed.
word count: 279
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status: All is good.
Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:53 am

Arc 721, 30 Ashan

Ru wanted her hat.

Elisabeth tried to comfort her, but she really had no idea where the hat was. Certainly, one hadn’t arrived with her. “I’m sorry Ru. I don’t know where it is, sweet girl. We are almost there..”

The trio was received, and word sent to Kura. As they were ushered into Kura’s office, many things happened rather quickly. Elisabeth’s thoughts were still on Balthazar, danger seemingly over for the moment and able to focus and allow her mind to settle on him. Ru was safely tucked into her cloak as they entered the room, sapphire eyes finding Kura at her desk. While Kura acknowledged them, she only greeted Ru, knowing the girl by name. How did she know her? It was then that a wolf materialized, and it seemed Elisabeth’s duties had been discharged.

Talking was about ready to commence when Elisabeth felt…something. Something wasn’t right. She was about ready to say something when a thunderous noise sounded overhead. Looking up immediately, even though there was nothing to see, the crashing came, again and again. The smell of smoke came and before any of them knew it, Kura was leading them back out the way they came. Are you kidding me? Remarking to herself, Elisabeth began to curse at her ability to stumble into situations. Apparently, when it rained, it poured. Or hailed. Lightning-ed? Was that even a word?

It equaled out to a whole bunch of trouble. Really?

Her first instinct was to grab the girl, but Kura took care of that. The young mage was finding herself at a loss. At the Glass Temple, things had been simple. Take Ru. Protect her. Get to Kura. There had been a mission and she had accomplished it. Well, all but the ‘tell Kura what you know’ part but that was being delayed a bit by the storm overhead.

As they stepped out of the building, Elisabeth immediately raised the hood on her cloak, turning to look above the Element Hall and see what she could see. It wasn’t easy as hail pelted them. The young Defier was used to a certain amount of elemental deference but it seemed that it wasn’t to be that trial.

Touching her silver ring, she prayed it wasn’t alerting Balthazar to anything. She wanted to be home, so badly. Elisabeth finally had a home to want to go back to, but there was work to be done, although she wasn’t yet sure what that work was. For the immediate future, telling Kura what she knew seemed to be the objective but U’frek words continued to haunt the back of her mind.

Kura was speaking to a woman, who started spouting things that made Elisabeth’s hair stand up on end. Chrien. U’frek had spoken of her. The woman was telling Kura that Chrien was angry, and they needed to find out why. She could help with that! At least a little. The problem was, how to tell Kura in a quick and concise manner. The Albarech didn’t need a lecture on Elisabeth’s crossing details and her previous interactions with Kura indicated that efficient answers were preferable.

Approaching both quickly, the young woman focused her attention on Kura, wincing at the hail pelting her which seemed to be getting bigger, but before she could speak, the older woman screamed, genuinely appearing to be confused at the situation.

Addressing Kura quickly, Elisabeth spoke as loud as she dared, hoping Kura could hear her over the storm. “U’frek told me Chrien is angry at Scalvoris for three reasons: The death of her mother, Fei, fury at being tricked by another, and a lost battle which led to the destruction on Faldrass. He said she’s hurt and confused, and we need to acknowledge her anger. He said that Chrien was deceived but she wasn’t the only one. Darkness overcame Light.”

That was about as condensed as the mage could make the information. There was more. Much more, but they didn’t have time for that. Wait....Ru was talking about a 'shadow lady'. Darkness overcame Light? That was just a coinicidence, right?

And that's when things went from bad to worse.

Her heart dropped and she knew instantly that something was wrong. Looking down, her ring was telling her that Balthazar was in danger or needed her. True need - not want. Something was happening on Faldrass, in Haven. Noooo...not now!! Oh, Balthazar...what the Beneath is going on? Taking a deep breath, she didn't let the feeling overwhelm her. It could have been something very minor - he needed the answer to a question or some silly thing.

But really, what were the odds of that? Particularly on that trial.

The storm and fire were raging, and she needed options. She needed to do something. Looking around, she tried to figure out where the fire was. Elisabeth wasn’t as powerful as Balthazar – nowhere near – but she had helped with a fire in Haven. Maybe she could help.

The Elements had mages and likely, they were all doing something similar, but every little bit helped, right? What use was having an ability if you didn’t use it to help people?

The problem was…it was tricky. She didn’t know if the fire was within her range and she needed to find out. Choosing a spot closest to where their small grouping was, Elisabeth looked up and began searching for fire. Calling had been the first thing Elisabeth learned, finding that each element had a unique voice. If she could hear fire, it was within her range to do something with.

If she found a patch of fire within her range, the next step involved manifesting. Elisabeth would focus and call upon one of the elements of her home - water. She knew her effective range was limited, but if she could get just a bit of water on the nearest patch of fire, it would help the people still trying to escape the building. The Element Hall was a large structure and Elisabeth had no hope of working all of it, but if she could just help with a little of it…

Deep sapphire ribbons swirled in her gaze, hands up, focusing on where she wanted the water to manifest, feeling the element answer her with a soothing voice. Water, to her, was different than the other three. Water reminded her of Haven, sitting on the warm sand beach, listening to the waves. That was the emotion she brought into the exchange with the element, letting her connect to it and the place she found peace.

If successful, a shower of water would come down on the area she was focusing on. It wouldn't be much but it would be how best she could contribute at that moment.

If Elisabeth didn’t hear fire whispering to her, she would look for other ways to help the people leaving the building, keeping her eyes and ears open.

OOC
Elisabeth is Competent Defiance with a range of 60ft. She's using calling to determine if there is any fire within her range. If there is, she's manifesting water over it to drop. I left this open-ended because I wasn't sure, based on the description, if the fire is within her range. :D
Last edited by Elisabeth Angelus on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 4 times in total. word count: 1260
Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:20 am

”I want my Hat,” Ru whimpered, barely audible, but Woe could almost hear the girl’s voice.

She didn’t come with a hat, so… Oh. Woe cursed his icy brain. She meant Hart. Strange, Wren also referred to his father as Hart, from what Woe remembered.

"I want my Hat,"

As they went along, waves of emotion washed over Woe, raw, flowing in and out of his tangle from the young baby’s emotions. The tangles of children were often pristine, depending on the level of shelter they were afforded in their brief lives. This girl was no different, a blank canvas, to be painted with any number of emotions, shifting so swiftly and without restraint.

Woe could feel the heartache of the child, and he recognized it’s signature. He’d felt it before when he tortured Magpie in that basement in Etzos. Longing for a father. It almost teased a sob out of him to remember that episode, and he hated Ru bitterly for it, though he knew it wasn’t her fault. She was a child.

He ignored her the rest of the way, and until they arrived in the company of Kura, who gave Ru to a wolf companion. Breen still whined from the Beneath, but Woe denied him again. As long as the child remained here, he wouldn’t bring Breen into this.

Then, everything went to pot. Lightning struck the Element Hall, and within moments, they all could smell the smoke. Kura set Ru on top of Phelan, and before they left, he thought he could overhear the girl, and if he couldn’t overhear her, he could certainly sense the young toddler’s tangle…

”I wa… Hat,” she whispered to the wolf. "My could hear … not see…" She sobbed.

"The shadow- lady …”

But then, they were gone. Phelan apparently carrying Ru to safety.

He recognized it then, the longing, the unrequited satisfaction of being close, feeling like she was failing her father by not seeing him. All of these emotions Woe was intimately familiar with. He couldn’t help a tear falling from his eye, though it wasn’t his. Breen’s whining came as a growl almost at this point.

The Shadow Lady? Was that Audrae? Woe knew of the other daughter of Ciriel, having spent nearly an arc as a slave to the daughters of the Shadow Mistress. Or was it someone else? Woe stopped himself, and focused. Hart couldn’t be seen by Ru, she could hear him but not see. Did that mean the Immortals themselves couldn’t see?

What in the Beneath was going on?!

Woe mostly kept to Kura’s instructions, and followed along, making sure to stay close to Elisabeth and maintain orderliness. Finally, he relented to the spark. ”Everyone be calm, and do as the Albarech says.” He said, letting the etheric honey flow from his words, to all within ear shot. He calmed himself through a force of will, knotting his fear, and then severing and placing the sense of calm that arose into Elisabeth’s tangle. He tried to help her maintain her concentration. And if possible, he strummed everyone else in the vicinity to maintain calm and order.

All he could really do at this moment, was try and maintain order, and follow Kura’s and Elisabeth’s lead.

word count: 558
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Profession: Council Member
Renown: +164
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 6

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:15 am

There was a moment when Kura didn't quite catch what the beggar said, but then caught up in Kura's mind and she paused to look at her. "Who are you?" she asked, pushing out with her Mortalborn-granted ether as she did so. It was a simple trick that Kura didn't use often out of courtesy, one used to identify other Mortalborn. She didn't know if it would pick up anything, but Kura was trying to use it to identify if the beggar was an Immortal, and if she was, who?

Then Phelan relayed Ru's words to Kura and Kura turned to look at the wolf in surprise. Did Ru mean Audrae? How was the Dark One tied into all this? And why did Elisabeth and her friend have Ru. Before she could get any further, though, Griselda screamed and Kura could see by looking at her that she wasn't the same person that she had prevented from getting closer to the fire. "Ma'am, please get back!" she called, gesturing to one of the elements helping with the evacuation to take Griselda. "Keep a close eye on her, please. Don't let her wander off." she said, her tone firm.

Then Elisa started talking about Chrien and things started to fall into place. Chrien had been angry about Fei's death for longer than was frankly reasonable, from what Kura had been told about the Seascourge when she was growing up. Being tricked could be any number of things, but everything else that Ru and Elisabeth were saying pointed to Audrae as the tricker, and as for the battle...well, if Chrien was upset that Maxine had lost, there wasn't really much Kura could do about that. She had tried, with astonishingly little success, to keep Maxine out of trouble and there wasn't anything she could do about that fight now.

Still, it did give her one option she could use to try and calm The Fickle One's wrath. It was a gamble, and only pure luck and Chrien's own whims would determine if it worked. That thought, though, brought a half mad grin to Kura's face. It was appropriate, if nothing else, to try and calm The Storm with luck. Gripping her fracture scarred arm to brace against the pain that she knew was coming, Kura started using the same trick she had used before on Grizelda, but this time it was on the storm itself. This time, however, it was to identify herself to Chrien, if Immortal was listening at all.

"Chrien. Chrien. Chrien." she said quietly, trusting in the storm to keep others from overhearing her as she used the trick that seemed to at least ensure an Immortal heard you. "The person who tricked you is the same one that has set things in motion on this island. We aim to foil their plans, but we cannot do that if you destroy us in your wrath. Please, Lady Chrien, calm yourself, for our enemies now are one and the same." she said, hoping to get through to the pissed off Daughter of Despair.
word count: 536
Please send all PM's to my Basilisk account.
Pegasus
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 37

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:20 pm

Elisabeth spoke to Kura.

Woe tried to calm people down.

Grizelda hit panic mode.

Kura tried to see if she could recognise Grizelda, and she did. She saw her, she knew who she was, but right now in that moment it was too much, too busy and noisy. It would take a moment or two of Kura's attention, when things were quiet, to decipher what she felt and recognised and saw.

The Element who had been bidden to take care of Grizelda did and the obviously confused woman was led off.
And then, Kura trusted to two things. Luck, and Chrien's whims.

Neither of these were good things to trust to when standing in a storm.

The half-mad grin on Kura's face turned up to look at the storm and her words to The Lady of Spite were indeed drowned out as the thunder roared. Elisabeth and Woe both saw Kura grab her arm, and they may even have seen her lips moving, slightly, but what she did or what she said was simply not discernable to them.

Which was, if they were to reflect on it later, probably a very good thing.

Because, as she turned, lightning struck the ground all around her, in a barrage. Strike after strike after strike and finally, as the building next to them - and the one next to it - and the one the other side - exploded and debris and wood and glass rained over them, the ground on which Kura stood was blackened and Chrien's fury rained on the Albarech.
 ! Message from: Peg
Elisa and Woe - you are blown off your feet, along with pretty much everyone else. Three buildings are exploding around you. There are screams. There is debris. There is confusion. Kura is currently out of the thread - I'll let you know how things are, when and if we get there. There are Elements. There is Grizelda. There is Ru. Kura's body is charred - she just got hit by lightning and she is there, but there's also three buildings falling on her - and you all.
word count: 361
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status: All is good.
Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:47 am

Arc 721, 30 Ashan

The world exploded…

She had been speaking to Kura and the Albarech’s attention turned skyward. Elisabeth couldn’t see what she was doing but obviously, it was something. The young mage had been about ready to move off to try and slow down the fire, turning her head for a brief moment to make sure Ru and Woe were alright…and within that very moment, things slowed down…and sped up, all at the same time.

Elisabeth was airborne before she knew it, blown back in the direction of Ru and Woe, landing with a hard thud on the earth. If the elements were offering her any deference, she couldn’t feel it. If Balthazar’s ring hadn’t been telling him of danger to the woman he loved, it was now. Lightning and explosions reigned, blasting everyone off their feet. Between the time her feet left the ground and body hit once again, her mind was especially clear, and everything felt...slow.

She wanted to go home.

It wasn’t in the way an adult sighed and merely wanted to be home. It was a childish thought, borne of something Elisabeth couldn’t understand at that moment. It was an irritating whine inside her mind, desperate to be in the place that made sense to her. To be with the people she cared about. She knew Haven was in trouble too and the child inside of her wanted to go home.

That child was her way of acknowledging how scared she was. The crossing had been a bit frightening. The Glass Temple, terrifying. But right then? Beyond scared. But why?

Balthazar was the one that waded into danger with his many abilities and confidence. Elisabeth often considered him a source of strength for her, but she knew in her heart that that wasn’t exactly right. He wasn’t a source of strength for her - they were a source of strength for each other…and they were separated by the Hollow Sea and a storm unlike any other.

Yes, they were separated…but did that dull the strength they gave each other? Should it?

No.

Home. She wanted to be home…but there was work to do first. Glass Temples and storms weren’t going to stop her. It was time to realize that she was a force in her own right. A storm. One she created herself by training, watching, listening, learning…and being loved.

The young mage had acknowledged the fear inside. Now, it was time to shove it to the side and do what she needed to do.

As her sapphire eyes blinked open, having hit the ground but not enough to rock her unconscious, Elisabeth immediately covered herself with her cloak, trying to deflect as much of the flying debris as possible while she assessed the situation. Woe was with her, on the ground too. She heard Ru screaming. Elisabeth sat up quickly, feeling burns and cuts from the explosion, blood dripping from surface wounds, but not caring. Her eyes adjusted to the smoke and found the small body quickly, staying down and promptly crawling over to the girl, grabbing her and getting the child underneath her cloak as swiftly as possible, trying to protect her as best she could from the flying debris and smoke. The wolf, it seemed, was gone. There was no time to check Ru over for major injuries until they were safe but she took it as a good sign that the girl was at least crying.

Looking around, the buildings were all on fire and their situation was precarious. They needed to move – quickly. Kura was down and Elisabeth didn't know how badly she was hurt.

Gaining her feet but staying low, Elisabeth moved back over to Woe. They had precious little time to act. It wasn’t lost on her that she was now bound to the man that, only breaks prior, would have sacrificed her, but she couldn’t dwell on that. Fate, or the whims of Immortals, had tossed them together for whatever reason. Reaching out, she touched his arm, knowing from experience that the best way to get someone’s attention was through touch. Elisabeth needed Woe to hear her. Trying to speak over the explosions, she got as close to him as she could while juggling the screaming Ru under her cloak. “Woe, I’ve got Ru. I’m going to get that woman Kura was talking to. Grab Kura. We need to get her out of here. These structures aren’t going to last long. We have to get them all to safety.”

Turning, Elisabeth scanned the area, looking for the beggar woman Kura had been speaking to. She didn’t tell Woe because it would have taken too long but Kura had been insistent on the woman not being allowed to leave. The Albarech wanted her for something and that was the last thing Kura wanted and Elisabeth was going to try to make sure it happened.

Spying her nearby, on the ground with the Element that had been taking her away, Elisabeth ran as best she could with Ru, kneeling next to the woman. “Hurry, it’s not safe here. We can get you to safety.” She would offer a hand to the woman and if she were so inclined, would help her up and begin to lead her out of the area. Elisabeth wouldn't force her to come.

On the way out, woman in tow or not, Elisabeth made sure her path swept past where Kura’s body was, checking to see if Woe needed any help. If he was able to manage Kura, they would try to make their way out of that area, back down the street, and out of the path of the unstable structures, all while still dealing with the storm.

And a quick thought occurred to her that when she got home, there was a talk she wanted to have with the man she loved.

word count: 1023
Woe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:11 am

At the moment when the world seemed to burst into absolute chaos all around him, Woe couldn’t do anything except shield himself against the maelstrom of emotions that surrounded him. He soothed his Empathy spark first, but even that wasn’t enough to ignore the absolute panic consuming every person in the vicinity of Chrien’s wrath. In the end, he had to mute the Empathy spark. It wouldn’t do him any good either way, with his voice barely audible over the cracking of lightning and the roar of thunder.

And in that moment of weakness, panic, and need for order, Breen broke through the Beneath and entered the world at Ru and Elisabeth’s side. The creature pawed at Elisabeth, urging her with body language to put Ru on his back while she wrangled Grizelda. Through the blood dripping over his eyes, the dust and debris flying everywhere, Woe pointed to Ru and then to Breen, as the other hand began to trace a chained rune of strength and endurance on his abdomen, empowering his upper body with core energies. And at that point, his white hair turned black with shadow again as he activated the rune.

He walked and half-crawled, his back bent to keep from taking any of the flying debris in the face, to retrieve the Albarech. Once he made it to her nearly dead body, he sensed that there was yet life in her, but it wouldn’t last, certainly not in this explosion of buildings and confluence of Chrien’s wrath. What had the Albarech said or done, he wondered? But there was no time to consider it. The Albarech was the head of the Government. Her potential death was not an acceptable loss. And though she looked in bad shape, with no help nearby to save her life, Woe had to give her a chance to live. He removed his Mother's Embrace blanket from his domain bag, and draped it over the dying woman as he lifted her up.

Woe couldn’t hear what Elisabeth was shouting at him, as Ru screamed over her and the storm surged all around them. But he took her meaning all the same. They needed to get out of there.

Woe left his cane by the wayside. He didn’t need it, it was only for appearances. The Arcane Gaoler only troubled his gait when he was at ease. And he was not at ease, and so the limp suddenly disappeared as he ran after Elisabeth with the Albarech in his arms, making their way to safety.

Breen, whether Elisabeth placed Ru on his back or not, was close on their heels, lapping up the residuals of Ru’s sorrow as it urged them all onward. Woe made sure that Elisabeth had Grizelda, but was mainly concerned with the Albarech’s safety. He began to try and erect a reactive barrier around them both, to deflect what debris he could from hitting either of them with full force. It’d take a bit for it to fully form, probably, yet he drew from the ether with as much speed as he needed. Overstepping if necessary to protect them both.

Yet, as he held her nearly dead body, he felt the draw and temptation to flay. The abundant ether that the Albarech possessed, that Woe could recognize as he held her, it was almost too tempting. Yet through all the surge and chaos, he managed to ignore it, for now. He only jogged and ran after Elisabeth, Grizelda, Ru, and Breen, trying to escape the vicinity of the falling buildings.

word count: 606

Return to “Scalvoris Town”