Plans and plots

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Ghoul, Vorpal

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +350
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Plans and plots

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:27 am

4th Zi'da, 717
There was something wrong with him, Vega knew. No, wrong with him wasn't quite right, but there was something on her father's mind. He was just slightly distracted, not quite there. They had arranged to meet, here on his boat and he was waiting on the deck for her. The snows had stopped but the wind was wild and Vega pulled her thick shawl around her. "Bloody 'ell, Papa, it's wild an' whistlin'. What are we doin' out 'ere?" Her father motioned to her, to come and sit on the bench where they had spent so many breaks over the arcs. Vega did as she was bid without question or pause and she looked at him with a smile. Jo'qan reached out and stroked his daughter's wild hair away from her face, then kissed her soundly on the forehead. "You have stopped feeling sick?" His eyes searched hers for the truth of her answer. He knew Eva, the name only he called her and her actual birth name, and he knew her tendency to saying she was fine when she was anything but. However, she lifted her face to his and nodded. "I 'ave. When we were goin' over to Immortals Tongue, I felt it a bit then. But, it was jus' after Mrs Creede died an' I was worried about 'im." Her father nodded.

"Then it is time you learn. Because you, my daughter, have silver in your veins and you are a daughter of both sea and stars." Vega beamed in pleasure at him. "It's been a long time since you called me that, Papa." She rested her head against his shoulder, his arm around her shoulder as she realised that she felt warm and safe, despite the winds howling. "I like it." Jo'qan rested there a moment and spoke quietly. "It is what you are, Eva. But you are more than that, too. Sea and Stars, yes. Land, too. You are both of us, your mother and I and you are just yourself. But we have allowed your biqaj blood to go uncared for too long." Vega looked at him with a querulous expression on her face. "You need to know how to sail, Eva. It is in your veins and now that you are whole, it is time you learned."

Vega looked at him and considered it. She didn't argue, she couldn't do so. Neither she nor Arlo liked being aboard a ship, it felt claustrophobic. But Vega knew herself well enough to know that it was not the space or the place or any such thing. It was the lack of control. The lack of being in charge of where they went and how they went there. They were very different in many ways, her and Arlo Creede. He was much more cerebral than her, and she knew that. He was more even tempered too, though she'd never admit it to him. However, they were also very alike. Neither of them needed or wanted hearth and home, they needed to travel. To see, to explore, to learn. The journey was important, much more so than the destination.

In the ways that they were similar, as much as in the ones that they were different, they were compatible and when Jo'qan said 'now that you are whole', Vega knew that he referred to the hat-wearing devotee of Cassion and her relationship with him. She didn't argue, just nodded her head.

"Show us, then, Papa."
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Plans and plots

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:09 am

4th Zi'da, 717
"First, then, let's look at the wheel," Jo'qan said and he stood. "Here. The wheel. It is connected to the rudder, under the water. You turn the wheel, the rudder moves and the ship does." Vega nodded. She'd seen him standing at the wheel often enough, she knew that. "It has to be used with the sails, you have to take them into account." He took her over and pointed out the parts of the wheel. It obviously was a wheel shape, with spokes, but he told her the names of each of the parts. Vega looked at him and nodded. If she'd been told it without seeing them, touching them, she'd never remember it. But now?

"A'right, so spokes, 'andles. Four quadrants, each with four felloes. Felloes, facin', middle an' after. This, this is the king spoke, an' I can tell it by these grooves, even if I can't see." Jo'qan smiled at her and nodded, pleasure on his face. Vega looked up at him and her smiled was beaming, pleased that she was getting this, but more than that, that she was learning it with her father. There was not a doubt in her mind, though, there was something on his mind. Vega knew him more than well enough to know that she wouldn't force it out of him. "It is vital, if you are captaining a ship, that you speak and others do. Come, let's look at how we tie the sails."

Vega could see that her father had prepared for this, there was no doubting. He had a small part of a sail and masts on the deck, waiting for her. This was not unusual for him. He would get her to practice on a small thing, then the real thing. So, pulling her hair into a ribbon to stop it from blowing in her face, Vega sat on the deck next to him.

"We go back now, to knots. Tell me what you recall."

Vega frowned and she couldn't remember one of them. Not a single one. Then, she picked up the rope and started. "A half-hitch. This is not secure, but it is used to hold while you secure more firmly. Figure eight, this pulls and stops the rope, if it's about to fly out of a pulley, or some such. The more pressure on it, the more tied it gets."

He looked at her and she sat there, so full of concentration and determined to get it right. Jo'qan considered that he had probably never missed his wife, her mother, more than in that moment. "Bowline. This is like a fishing hoop at the end of the rope. Used for moorin' an' rescue. Then, there's the square knot." Jo'qan watched her and nodded his head.

"Good." It was a good job they were good, Vega thought. He wasn't paying attention.

"Eva?" Jo'qan said and Vega smiled at him. "Yes, Papa?"

"I want to talk to you about when I die," he said and Vega looked at him incredulously.
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Plans and plots

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:02 am

4th Zi'da, 717
"Wen you die? Is there somethin' wrong with you or somethin? 'Ave you got an illness?" Vega looked utterly panic-stricken and Jo'qan was quick to lift his hands in the air. "No, no, Eva, I am fine," he was quick to reassure her and Vega turned and thumped her father, hard. He let her do so and he laughed as he winced and apologised all in one. "I did not mean to make it sound that way, Eva. Stop hitting me!" She did not such thing and her father wrapped his hands around her wrists and he laughed, shaking his head. "Woman, behave! How does that man put up with you and your violence?"

"Well, for a start, 'e's not an ijit. You scared the life outta me, Papa!" The colour of her eyes, the flush of her cheeks and the pallor of her skin all told the truth of that and he pulled her to him in a hug. "I am sorry, Eva. Truly. I wanted to talk to you about the ship."

Vega looked at her father and she didn't know whether to laugh, cry or punch him. She settled for a deep chuckle and then shook her head. "The ship? This ship?" Jo'qan nodded. Vega looked at him and waited his answer. He pulled his daughter into his arms and spoke to her, sitting together and watching the wind fly through the sails. "I don't want to wait until I die for the ship to be in the hands it should be. You are my daughter, Eva, everything I have is yours."

Vega squirmed in her father's arms and turned to look at him. "Papa, I don't want this. The boys do. More than that, they deserve it. Let them have it, if you want it gone give it to them." Jo'qan looked at her and frowned slightly. "Eva," he said with a serious expression on his face. "I have nothing else to leave. This is my legacy." Vega looked at him and shook her head.

"Don't be daft, Papa. You've given me more treasures than there are in the banks in all them posh places you dragged me to. This is jus' wood and fabric, rope an' iron. It's just a vessel, Papa. What you've given me isn't breakable with a storm, an' it can't be smashed agains' rocks, neither. The boys 'ave lost their Papa, an' if it 'ad been the other way aroun' Uncle would 'ave seen me righ'. They want it. They deserve it. Let 'em 'ave it," Vega looked at him with earnest and serious eyes and then added, most genuinely, "jus' never tell 'em I said so." Jo'qan laughed and wrapped her once more into a hug.
Zipper
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Professional Scowler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Plans and plots

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Overview

Such a daddy's girl, that Vega :D . I've graded a few of her threads and it's always seems to be daddy and sometimes the cousins. Nice little touch at the end there about impending mortality, Vega's denial of it,
and a little introspection about what makes a legacy.
@Vhagar

XP: 10/10

Loot/Injuries/Overstepping

Nu

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge
Psychology: The important things in life, aren't things at all.
Seafaring: Ships' Wheel
Seafaring: Rudder
Seafaring: Steering
Seafaring: The king spoke
Seafaring: Uses for a bowline knit
Please make sure your review request is marked as complete and put a review stamp on it!

Your review request is: here
ImageImageImage

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”