• Closed • Treasure Hunting We Shall Go [Qit'ria, Vega]

Kura goes treasure hunting and gets some unlikely allies

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Vorpal, Ghoul

Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Council Member
Renown: +164
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Timestamp:30th of Zi'da

Kura was excited, eager, and happy. She had a few days off from the matters of state, since for the moment she could do nothing until responses to her recent letters arrived. She had decided to take the opportunity to seek out the treasure on the map that she had gotten from the graveyard, a graveyard that later examination had revealed to be in Almund. She hadn't gained anything of use or value from the trip to Almund, but the treasure map was an altogether different story. In truth, she had no personal desire for great riches, except maybe to pay off the loan on her house, and so it wasn't the wealth of this treasure outside Gunvorton that drew the Mortalborn. No, Kura just wanted a decent adventure with no earthshaking consequences, evil moss, or anything of the nature.

So it was that Kura was sitting in a camp outside Gunvorton, bent over a stump she had cleared off to set to pieces of paper on. One was the treasure map, the other was a map of the surrounding area. In fact, the latter was always a map of the surrounding area. Very handy, that would be. She was dressed in warmest clothes, with her fur trimmed black cloak over it all. She had her bow and quiver full of arrows with her, but she wasn't expecting trouble. In truth, she brought it along for more mundane hunting. Outside of that, all she had was some food, her canteen, and her pipe, which she was quite happily smoking as she studied the two maps.

From what she could tell, she wasn't close to the point on the map yet, and the treasure map had some words written on it. "North from the Serpents Stone, seek you the Bands of Light. From there, west will you go, wary of the swine. Seek the Crown of Conquest, then seek the east. There one will find the treasure, protected by the Wolfs Fangs. Let the hunter beware, lest they attract the ire of their prey." Kura read aloud, frowning at the riddle. It didn't seem like it would be the easiest treasure to find. Still, at least it would be fun. After a bit more studying, she pocketed her papers, then headed south from her current location, roughly towards Darbyton. She was casual, smoking as she walked, though she did keep an eye out for potential trouble.
Qit'ria
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Huntsman
Renown: +38
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 am

Common Text
Xanthean Text
Kashehino Text

Qit'ria wrapped her cloak tight around her, stalking through the light snows, watching her breath crystallize before her. Qit was cursing her ill prepared nature for this winter, she'd not expected it to come as cold nor as quickly as it had. She was wearing all the layers of clothes she owned, which really wasn't much, and a pair of boots that she'd always had but only this season had decided to wear. At the very least, the rucksack at the bottom of her pack had been replaced by one of the warming logs she'd found after dealing with that ghost pirate situation in that graveyard in Almund.

Scowling, Qit's hand touched to her chest, feeling the sensitive, painful wounds underneath. Her errant spear throw had flown true, even with knowing it wouldn't harm the captain. This had enraged the specter, and his cursed touch still pained her. Even Faith couldn't heal this, and she'd tried, truly. But there was, perhaps, another way. This was what had brought the huntress to Gunvorton. The western part of the ritual to appease the ghost captain, to get these five oozing holes in her chest removed. And then she'd be able to get a full night's sleep.

"You still snorrre though, even though you barely sleep darrrling."

Qit looked down at the transparent panther, her scowl intensifying, You wouldn't notice if you slept too, Kashehino.

The panther moved to rub against her hip, and while the action was visibly accurate, and seemed to bring pleasure to ghostly panther, Qit'ria had felt nothing. It seemed her new friend, another surprise from that graveyard, could talk to her, could see the world around her, but couldn't physically interact with it. But it was nice to have someone to talk to, especially in her native tongue. It seemed that if Qit spoke either of the languages she knew, Kashehino understood fully.

Qit stopped, crouched down behind a tree, her nose twitching as she sniffed at the air. There was a pungent scent in the air. Qit'ria kept sniffing, trying to determine the direction it came from, but to no avail. Even with the lack of wind in the moment, her nose simply wasn't trained enough. Kashehino lazily walked out in front of her, invisible to everyone but Qit'ria. But she wasn't scouting for the woman, but rather roaming about listlessly, not giving a care in the world. Qit'ria continued westward, and it seemed the scent was growing stronger. Even in her boots, even in the snow, Qit'ria was careful in her steps, staying near to trees where the snow was less dense. It made for a roundabout route, but it did lessen the deep crunching of trudging through the snow.

Then she saw movement ahead, and Qit'ria froze momentarily. She then with slow, careful motions dipped behind a tree, and watched. It was a dark haired woman in the distance. She seemed to be holding a pipe to her mouth as she walked, and puffs of smoke were given off. Qit only know one woman who smoked in such a fashion, and from here, it seemed as if this might be her. And while she hadn't particularly cared for this woman, they had at least endured the graveyard, and Immortal's Tongue, together, so there was something. Plus she'd helped Qit determine that the graveyard was in Almund, so maybe she wasn't all bad. Still... a politician.

Moving out of her hiding spot, she shouted at the dark haired woman, "Curry!" Qit'ria raised an arm to wave at her, wincing in pain as the skin across her chest stretched her wounds. Qit trudged toward Kura, her companion lazily circling around the woman, eyeing her up, before laying down at Kura's feet. Once Qit came closer, "Well meet, Curry. Much slurp rise find you here."
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +300
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Vega was about as wrapped up as it was possible to be. She was wearing high boots, thick socks, light trousers and a thick dress with an underdress beneath it. Then, her coat and a cloak over it, a scarf wrapped around her and gloves on her hands. Of course, the icing on the cake was her bright wool hat with flaps which covered her ears and tassles which tied beneath her chin. She was currently hidden behind her scarf and was tromping about in a typical Vega fashion. When she walked, it was determined and purposeful, Vega never meandered anywhere. She was making her way back to the camp that she shared with Arlo when she spotted a woman in the distance, apparently smoking a pipe. Vega thought that she recognised her, then remembered where from ~ Almund, that time that the waters ran red and there'd been that plonker who threw a sword into a fight. Oh, and the big scary things. Those too. She'd told Vega her name, but Vega didn't remember it, it'd been a lot of trials since then.

She'd seemed like a reasonable sort, Vega thought, they'd worked together a bit and she'd had the sense not to be an idiot, which meant that she was better than roughly nine-tenths of the rest of the world. However, Vega wasn't in any way the sort of person who would wander up to someone she'd met once or twice and greet them, it wasn't her way. With a few noticeable exceptions, Vega was perfectly happy with her own company and had no wish to ..."ah, knickers." Vega's muttered exhalation of irritation was at the sight of Qit'ria, bounding up like an over enthused puppy. Worse than that, the Sev'ryn who had designs on Arlo (at least in Vega's mind) had seen her, she was sure of it and so Vega was faced with a conundrum. Stalk off and leave the stupid creature to it, or mingle? Vega's inclination was very obvious, very simple and very, very clear.

But.

If she walked away now, then she'd be doing the monkey-equivalent of letting Qit'ria try to pick off Arlo's fleas, Vega thought. And Faldrun would be wearing ice skates in his day job before that happened, so she walked up to them. Vega had her sword at her hip and bow at her back, a quiver of arrows over her shoulder and a dagger in her belt, as well as the ones that were hidden about her person, of course, and she looked like she meant business.

"Wotcha," she said, with a half-grin at Kura as she arrived where the others were. "We met before, standin' on a boat. Vega. Nice to see you again. An' hello Qit'ria." Vega smiled at the Sev'ryn woman and asked, "How're the oozin' sores?"

Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:49 am

Kura stopped in surprise at a familiar voice calling her name, then turned and looked at Qit'ria. "Oh, hello Qit'ria." she said cheerfully. "Did the graveyard have the answers you were lookin' for?" she asked, her tone still showing her good mood. When Qit'ria mentioned the oddity of Kura being out in the middle nowhere, Kura grinned slightly and held out the maps. "Happier reminders of our graveyard adventure. I finally have the time to track down the location that map. I have a feeling it leads to treasure of some description, though in truth I'm as much out here for the adventure of findin' the treasure as whatever the treasure happens to be." she said, before turning as a second person approached.

The redhead from the ship, looking like she meant business. "Hello. Yes, I recall the ship. Damn nightmare, those beasts." she said, grinning again. "I'm Kura. What's got you out here so armed?" she asked curiously. Kura only had Midnight and her quiver. If Vega asked, Kura'd show her the maps and explain she was treasure hunting, though she did start when Vega mentioned Qit'ria's sores. Evidently the two knew each other and Kura found herself wondering if they were friends. "Would the two of you care to join me? We can split whatever we find." she said, her tone cheerful. When the two agreed to that, Kura turned south and led the way roughly towards Darbyton.

"Are either of you plannin' on participatin' in the derby at the end of the season?" she asked, her tone cheerful. Kura herself had no intention of doing so, since she wouldn't be able to keep herself from using her familiars, and she'd explain if either of the other two asked her. "I'll be watchin', though. Sounds like a fun event to observe." she said, her tone cheerful as she checked her maps. She paused, realizing that they were near the point marked on the treasure map and grinned. "Okay, I think we're in the right area. We need to find a...Serpents Stone." she said, pausing to check the words on the map again. "It's supposed to be our first waypoint. Oh, and look out for...pigs, apparently. I don't know if there's any in the area, but apparently they were a problem when the map was made." she said, her tone showing confusion. After a moment, she shrugged. "Ah, well. Cross that bridge when we come to it." she said as she started to look for the stone.

Off Topic
I don't have a solid idea of what the stones are, so if either of you want to find the stone, feel free. If you'd rather I do it, that's fine too though.
Qit'ria
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 am

Common Text
Xanthean Text
Kashehino Text

Qit'ria shrugged her shoulders at Curry's question, "Yard of grave give question. No answer. Got name... 'Curse Eater'" Turning to Veggie, "Well meet Veggie." And assuming the question was on of curiosity, Qit'ria opened her cloak, and yanked her shirts down, revealing the five oozing sores, leaking with puss, red and inflamed. "Hurt lot. Faith say no heal. How Earlo? No see after pilot ghost in yard of grave."

Qit'ria thought Curry had asked Veggie a stupid question, and was staring at the politician with a blank look on her face. It was foolish to ever be in the woods unprepared. There were always hungry animals, thieving bandits, and Vega in the wilds. Qit'ria never went anywhere unarmed. But now Qit'ria was looking down at the paper Curry held. She hadn't the slightest idea what all the squiggles and characters and symbols meant. What she did know is she had one of those as well, from that same night.

"Yes. I join. Split fifty fifty fifty," that was a phrase she was fairly certain she'd heard people use before, "I have squiggle paper too! No can read. I help you do squiggle paper, you help me." With that, she followed Curry south, listened to her talk about someone named Derby. She didn't know what that meant, so she just ignored it. Turning around to find Vega, she asked in Xanthean, "What does 'serpent' mean?"

But the mention of pigs made her look up. That wasn't good. She'd had more than one run in with the strangely named twathogs around here. She drew a javelin for comfort, and began branching off from the group. Not enough to be out of sight, but enough to be searching her own area for something. Then she saw the first troubling sign. At the base of a tree, recently disturbed soil. She walked over to it, and knelt down next to it. She ran her fingers through it. It wasn't frozen yet. Meant that the hog was by here recently, earlier this morning she imagined.

Stepping around the tree, her eyes grew wide. There were disturbed piles of earth at the base of every tree, extending far out before them. She knew that they liked to eat roots and buried nuts and seeds. But this worried her. She could only guess that there were a bunch of these hogs that lived in the area. A large family. And those beasts were aggressive, and a lot faster than one might think possibly for a beast so bulky.

She immediately slipped into being quieter. She fell back to the group quickly, and in a hushed whisper, "Many big twat hog here," pointing in the direction she'd seen the furrows caused from feeding, "Much careful. Much quiet."
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 pm

"Nice to meet ya, Kura," she said and then glanced down at herself and shrugged. "Mostly, it's wilderness an' there's creatures an' I'm not stupid." She shrugged. But then, Qit'ria took her literally and showed her the oozing sores on her chest. "U'frek's butthole, those are 'orrible." How was Arlo? "He's good, yeah. I'll tell 'im I saw you, he'll be pleased yer a'right." Although alright was a relative term. Those sores were vile.

"An' yeah, that'd be great. I'm in." She wondered at the 'squiggle paper' but then realised that it was a map. Qit had one the same, but presumably for a different place? Still, Vega wasn't going to be discussing literacy and, perhaps surprisingly for her, she didn't point out Qit's mistake on fifty-fifty-fifty. Instead she listened to what Kura said and nodded. "It means snake," she said to Qit'ria and then to Kura, explained. "Qit and I both speak Xanthean, Sev'ryn." She had no idea of Kura's Sev'ryn roots, although Iris, her familiar spoke to her softly. "I think she might be Sev'ryn herself, Vega." Vega was used to her familiar, by now, more and more and the half-flunny half-lorikeet's tendency to make sweeping statements was only made more irritating by her tendency to sound like it was something she knew, rather than thought or suspected.

"My familiar reckons yer Sev'ryn too, or might be. She's not real good at bein' straight talkin'." Vega shrugged slightly. Then, when discussing the Derby, Vega nodded. "Yeah, Arlo an' I 'ave signed up to take part. Sounds like fun." But then, between Qit'ria's explanation of the twathog and Kura's insistence on a pig, Vega looked between the two. "Ok, time out. We're looking fer a thwarthog. Not a pig. Thwarthog, Qit'ria, not twathog. Thwart, in Xanthea is this," she said the word. And then, she said another. "is what yer sayin'. Now, whilst that would be an unusual lookin' pig, I don't think you should call it that no more."

Vega moved over to look at the tracks and she nodded. "There's three or.. no, three thwart'ogs. Tell us about em?"

Off Topic
Stones all yours, Kura!

Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:06 pm

Kura grimaced as Qit'ria said she hadn't gotten the answers she had needed from the graveyard. "Sorry to hear that. The name "Curse Eater" isn't familiar to me, either. One of the older areas might have have more information. Gunvorton or Darbyton, perhaps." she said, her tone thoughtful before Vega joined them. Qit'ria, it appeared, had trouble with names in general and Kura grinned slightly at Qit's name for Vega. Veggie, while funny, wasn't really appropriate, though. Evidently, Qit'ria knew Veg and Arlo pretty well, so she fell silent as they spoke.

She had grinned slightly at Vega's explanation for the sword and the daggers. "Never found myself needin' more than my bow for huntin' or bandits either. But then, I'm an archer by trainin', so I suppose it feels more natural to me than carryin' other weapons." she said, shrugging. Sure, she had an axe and a war pick, but those were for if she was specifically looking for trouble, not just going out treasure hunting and walking. She grinned and nodded with both women agreed to go treasure hunting with her and nodded at Qit'ria's mention of her own map. "I certainly don't mind taggin' along on your own treasure hunt, Qit'ria." she said with a smile as they headed on their way.

When the subject of Xanthean came up, Kura shrugged, before nodding at Vega's familiar's assessment of her heritage. "Half-Sev'ryn, on my fathers side. I've my familiar as well, but he's sleepin', I think. He spent a lot of time in the wild, prefers to stay home for the moment." she said with a shrug. In truth, she wondered if Rahmet stayed home because he was more comfortable with the security of her home, after having been on his own for so long. "I'll be watchin' the Derby. Should be fun viewin', but I don't think I could be stickin' to the rules of it. Been huntin' and fightin' alongside my familiars for so long, havin' them help out is second nature to me anymore." she said, grinning slightly.

When Qit'ria identified the swine mentioned on the map as Thwarthogs, in her own colorful vocabulary, Kura grinned. "Never had the occasion to try Thwarthog before. Could be fun huntin'." she said with a laugh. Still, despite their wariness, they didn't see any Thwarthogs as they headed into the woods. They did, however, come across a large stone carving in the woods. The main carving wasn't a snake, however, though the base was. Instead, the main carving was of a great, ornate shield. Kura paused a moment, then approached the stone cautiously. "...Taithir? What's a monument to Ethelynda doing out here. She guards cities, not the wild." she murmured, examining the rock for any signs of anything unusual.

Off Topic
I'm thinking that there'll be some puzzle or locking mechanism at the end of the hunt. If ya'll got any ideas for that, grab a clue or something from around the carving. Or throw Thwarthogs at us. I'm good with either. XD
Qit'ria
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Common Text
Xanthean Text
Kashehino Text
Qit'ria looked up in awe as the statue in the middle of nowhere appeared. It was huge and old, with some chips in it, a few minor cracks, and a bit of moss around the base. It was a massive shield, with a snake wrapped around the base, made greenish-white by the lichen there. She walked up to it, pressing a hand against the bottom of the shield. The statue was cold, rough hewn with age and erosion. She slowly walked around it, dragging her fingers along it, as she studied it.

She crouched down at the back of the shield. There, between the coils, was a serpent's head, separate from the head attached to the wrapped snake. Its eyes were holes were carved deep into it. Qit'ria fingered the holes, feeling that the insides were smoothed, though a bit damp and slippery from the exposure to the elements. She harrumphed as she looked at the holes. They were set in the center of circles to finish the eyes of the serpent. She traced the line of the circle, peeling away the lichen.

Grabbing a knife from her belt, she poked into the crease. She slid the knife along inside it, scraping it out. It seemed... separate from the rest of the statue. Like it could move. Qit'ria didn't understand it. Dammit Kura, she's a huntress, not a statue engineer! She wanted to stab the "puzzle" with her javelin. Stab right into those taunting ey-...into the holes? Qit'ria drew a javelin. She flipped it about, and jammed the butt of it into one of the eye-holes. She twisted and pushed it all the way in until it stopped moving.

Nothing happened.

Qit'ria growled, shoving the javelin in frustration. It shifted slightly, and Qit'ria let out an 'oo' of discovery. She pushed on it some more to the side, and it rotated just a hair around the circle, as if the snake were rolling a single eye. But the further it went, the more resistance it put up. She placed a foot on the statue, to give some more leverage as she heaved herself against it, but it pushed back, rebounding her, and resetting back to its original placement. And as it did so, Qit'ria saw the other eye wobble a bit. Staring at it suspiciously, she drew another javelin, and jammed it in that hole as well, and test pushed it finding it rotated the opposite direction from the other.

She bet that they both needed to be rotated together.

"Come help. Need more strong," she demanded. She stood by the right hand javelin, waiting for one of the others to come help her.
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:47 pm

"Nah, I'm crap with an arrow, compared to the sword, but I'm learnin', gettin' better, you know?" She gave a good natured smile to Kura as she said it. They chatted and Vega nodded to Qit'ria, "No worries on followin' your map, too. Lots of treasure for ya." Vega didn't mind, so long as she was having an adventure, something to tell Arlo about in their camp of an evening.

They walked and the young woman kept an eye out, but the more she looked, the more convinced she became. "I'm not seein' any thwarthog tracks this way, you know. I reckon... schnizzle my snoot and fluff my buns, wot in the name of Pier an' Pre's pink parts is that?" Of course that particular Vega'ism was at the sight of the statue. "It's an Immortal symbol? That's wild. Who's she then?"

Like Qit'ria, Vega explored the statue, but it was Qit who noticed the vital thing. As she held out a javelin, Vega took it and put it in the opposing socket. "You ready with those there arrows, Kura, cos we're both kinda indisposed an' it might be that the thwart'og to end em all is about to come rushin' at you." That said, she considered and added. "One of these trials," she spoke as she inserted the javelin in to the opposite space, "I'll tell you the story of the mostly naked cannibal tribe men who wanted to take Arlo back to their tribe an' give 'im as offerin' to their women. Then cook an' eat us, in fairness, but yeah." It had been a long time since anything had moved whatever this mechanism was and Vega put her strength into it. She was a strong and muscular woman, and it showed as her arm muscles strained.

But then, with a groaning noise, both mechanisms moved together and the statue almost shuddered and then, behind the statue a section of the ground just... slid away.

"What's that then?" Vega glanced over. "It's dark, but there's steps down. Wots down there, then?" She looked at the two women with her and Vega grinned. "Shall we go find out?"

Off Topic
Kura... what's down there?

Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:01 am

Kura nodded at Vega's explanation of her lack of skill with the bow. In truth, at Vega's age, she hadn't been much better herself, though that had been a literal lifetime ago. When everyone's attention turned to the statue, Kura nodded at Vega's question. "It's the Shield of Taithir, the symbol of Ethelynda. The Noble Serpent, The Guardian of Ivorian, The Great Protector. One of the oldest Immortals, ruler of the Ivorian Empire, creator of the Ithecal. Protection, Honor, Nobility, and Serpents are her Domains." Ethelynda was also Kura's aunt, but she didn't mention it. Even if Qit'ria or Vega had known she was Mortalborn, she had never met Ethelynda and their familiar relationship had no importance. In truth, she was likely to be considered an enemy of hers, given Kura's alignment as a member of The Eternal Empire, for all that she was helping to run Scalvoris these days.

When Qit'ria and Vega started moving the mechanism, Kura drew her bow and arrows, ready in case the thwarthogs showed up. Nothing happened as they got the opening revealed, and once it was fully revealed, Kura pulled out her Nights Glow Glasses and put them on, looking down into the hole. "It's...a room. There's a pedestal, with a thing on it." she said, looking around, still no trouble, but she was cautious. "Yeah, let's head down." she said, leading the way down the stairs, keeping her bow drawn the whole while. However, the trio made it to the bottom without incident. The thing at the bottom, as it turned out, was just a piece of something, a looked like part of a puzzle. It was in the middle of a raised bit on the pedestal. "If that's not a trap, I'm a tap dancing barghest." she said, looking at the puzzle piece. As she spoke, she took a step toward the item and heard something crunch beneath her feet.

Bending down, Kura lifted her foot and lifted up the item she had stepped on, then lifted the object. It was a human skull, now partially broken by her foot. "Well, isn't that pleasant. Caught by a trap, or buried alive in here by whoever put this puzzle piece here, do you think?" she said, her tone surprisingly still cheerful. "Well, at least now we know we're after somethin' valuable, eh?" she said, before looking at the puzzle piece again. "Bet the mechanism is weight based. Anyone got a bunch of rocks or somethin'?" she asked the others, her tone curious.

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”