• Solo • Paternal Wisdom

Vega talks to her father.

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Ghoul, Vorpal

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +350
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Paternal Wisdom

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:15 am

101st Trial of Vhalar during Arc 717

"Papa, I don't know what to do" Vega whispered and her eyes showed the confusion she felt. "I mean, he's my friend an' I want to help him, but he's hurting so badly an' he's tryin' not to show it." Jo'qan, Vega's father, looked at her and his eyes darkened. "Eva," he said, his voice deep even in his hushed tone, "you can't fix this."

Vega's frown was deep as she returned her father's gaze. "I'm not tryin' to fix it, Papa, I just wanna make him feel better"

Jo'qan smiled and shook his head. "He needs to feel this, Eva. You can not. There is nothing that you can do, except be there as best you can." Vega glowered at him and shook her head. "That might be true for other people, Papa, but it isn't right for me an' Arlo. We've been friends now a long time an', I should be able to make it better. I don't think I can fix it, but .." She sighed and looked at her father, long calloused fingers running through her hair as she looked over to the tent where he was finally sleeping. "She was a lovely woman, Pappa. It's not fair."

"No," Jo'qan said and he wrapped his arms around his daughter. Vega leaned against him and sighed deeply. The way that his voice reverberated in his chest as he spoke was like it had always been, all her life. "It is not fair, Eva, but it still is. You can not face death for him, you know that." She didn't answer, she didn't need to. He felt her nod her head against him and she sighed. He was right, she knew this but it changed nothing. Looking towards Arlo's tent, though, she knew that she needed to do more than she was. "Pappa, there must be more. I can't just sit around an' watch him be unhappy. I need to.. I dunno, do something. I'm useless."

She could neither see nor feel her father's fond smile, yet Vega knew it was there. She had always been like this, Jo'qan considered. Always wanting to run in and solve things. Never content to sit still and let things be. It simply wasn't her way. Tightening his arms around her, Jo'qan began to speak.
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Paternal Wisdom

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:03 am

]

"When we get a bruise," Jo'qan said, pausing to plant a kiss on the top of her head. Vega couldn't help but smile, for all that she wanted to swat him away, tell him that she was far, far too old for such. "Well, we feel pain. So we should, Eva. It is our body's way of telling us that something is wrong and we need to take care." She got a lot of bruises, he knew. He'd seen them when the two of them had come back from the jungle. He didn't like them and he didn't want her to be putting herself in danger; but he knew his daughter in a way that meant he was in no doubt. Vega had to be free to do what she wanted and she found a release in the physical. She would never sit down and learn from a book, would never have the patience to do so, but she was able to learn physical skills of dexterity. "Your Arlo? He is bruised in his heart and his soul. Bruised, not broken." That was an important distinction he knew. He thought she did too.

"What about you, Eva? You knew her and you care deeply for him." Vega lifted her head, ready to argue about her father's words, but then she looked into his ever-changing eyes and the words caught in her throat. "I'm alright, Pappa," she said, keeping her voice quiet so as not to disturb Arlo. "I'm sad about her, but mostly I'm worried about 'im." Her head motioned to the tent and Jo'qan looked at her. "He is important to you." Vega, totally missing the subtle question her father was asking, nodded her head. "Yeah, course he is. I mean, he's Arlo, isn't he? It's... he's my friend, Pappa an' I'm his. I don't know how many he's got," more than just her, she was sure, "but he's the only one I 'ave an' yeah. It's hard. Will he be alrigh'?"

Jo'qan looked and raised an eyebrow. "What makes you think I know, Eva?" It seemed like a logical question, but Vega was quick to reply. "Well, I never knew my ma, an' I never knew my gran neither, cos she died when you were about his age. So, you're the best qualified I know." Jo'qan looked at her and a slight chuckle escaped his lips. "I didn't think you were paying attention when I spoke to you about our family."

"I wasn't," she replied with a wicked smile. "But you went on about it, so I picked up some stuff." His smile and hers left no doubt that they were father and daughter. She looked up at him with eyes which swirled colour. "I jus' need to know that he'll be alrigh', you know?"

Looking at his daughter, Jo'qan saw much more than he spoke, he understood more than he wanted to. "I know. I can tell you what I think you should do, if it helps you?" Vega nodded and turned all of her attention to her father.
Last edited by Vega on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Paternal Wisdom

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:23 am

"Stop treating him like he is broken," Jo'qan said and Vega frowned, surprise creasing her brow. "He is coming to terms with losing someone who was permanent in his life. He needs to know that he has not lost you, your relationship together, too." That made sense, she knew that. "But Pappa, I'm always 'orrible to him." Jo'qan gave a low chuckle. "Then be so now. Let him know that you are here for him, that you love him and will support him. But other than that? Be you and him, Eva."

Vega frowned as she tried to word what she said. In the end, she couldn't do so to her satisfaction. "But Pappa, me an' him is mean to each other. I mean, I am fond of him, yeah, he's like a brother, I suppose." Jo'qan appeared very good at the raise of a single eyebrow. Vega ignored him and carried on, apparently oblivious. She wasn't oblivious at all, they both knew it. "Whatever he's like, Pappa, an' I'm not goin' there at all an especially not with you, but we are just.. I mean, I call him a wart." She couldn't do that now, because she didn't mean it for a moment and the thought of saying something hurtful was just dreadful. Yet, at the same time it was who they were and what they did together.

"I guess, if I'm not bein' mean to him an' he's not teasing me then we aren't bein' us an' he doesn't want to lose us," Vega sighed. "Pappa this is all grown up and adult an' I don't like it." Jo'qan looked at her and he smiled a slight smile. She really didn't understand what she was feeling, what was happening, he thought. Had the boy's mother not just died, he'd be planning to have a word with Arlo and hope that he was less oblivious, but he did not and would not ever wish to intrude on grief.

"So, what are you suggestin'? That we should get back to messin' about and huntin' and adventurin' an' stuff?" She looked at him in some surprise but, also, at the same time it made sense. Sort of. Vega leaned against her father again and smiled as he hugged her tightly. "I think we will leave soon, Eva. Take the ship and leave."

"Wot? Why?"

"Because you have a life now and it is not with me." Vega's head shot up and she looked at her father in horror. "Pappa, don't say that I'm..." she fell silent as his finger touched her lips. "I realised something this night, Eva. You can not live my life and you can not live your mother's." He seemed rather melancholy at that prospect. "You must live your own. It is a beautiful life. You are not biqaj, nor are you sev'ryn. You are you and you are both. Me and her." His hand moved and put a piece of her hair behind her slightly pointed ear. "Biqaj are flawed, arrogant and self-involved. Physical creatures and seekers after pleasure but not in touch with our calm, not able to access our wisdom. Sev'ryn, they are calm and they are wise, but they can not enjoy life in the way that a Biqaj can. You are both and neither."

He nodded towards the tent. "Whatever you decide, Eva, you have my blessing. But when I am here, you will not find your familiar."

Vega looked at him, surprise shifting the colours in her eyes. "Pappa?"

"Do you think I do not know?" Jo'qan shook his head, his expression one she had seen before. "I will leave and you will find the other half of your soul, my daughter. Dream with me sometime, though?"

Vega's eyebrow shot up and she was about to ask a question but her father shook his head. "Another time, Eva. Come, lets get some food ready so that he does not starve when he wakes, or we do not force him to endure your cooking." Vega couldn't hide the grin and she set about helping her father, considering that for all that she knew that it was the right thing to do, for him to leave, she didn't want him to.

He didn't want to, either, she knew that. But it was right that he did.
Zipper
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Professional Scowler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Paternal Wisdom

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:26 pm

@Vhagar

Overview

"He's like my brother." Denial, utter cluelessness or genuine friendzone? I'm not too familiar with Vega, please knock on my discord; I read sexual tension in paint drying, so my tensionmometer can't be trusted. Anyway, great character work with Pa and dotter. Again, don't read Vega much, but it's clear she's more openly fist than heart, and expressing that heart ain't her thang. Lovely little read.

XP: 10/10 (Cannot be used for Magic)

Fame:
Nope

Loot/injuries/overstepping:
Nah

Knowledge

Only fishcakes here
Please make sure your review request is marked as complete and put a review stamp on it!

Your review request is: here
ImageImageImage

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”