Following in Their Footsteps

Mute, Lorena, Navyri

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Aegis
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Following in Their Footsteps

Zi'da 93, 718

The skies were dark as the final trial of Zi'da looked forward into Cylus. Snows had been dropping upon the entirety of the island for many trials now, and much of the population was enjoying the cleanliness and refreshing look. But for three individuals, the last thirty trials or so had come with one minor aspect unique to them.

There was a calling to them.

It came in different ways to each of them, and varied from trial to trial. Sometimes it felt like a pull in the direction of the Scalvoris, others had strange coincidences. Snippets of conversation would stand out, bits talking about the mountains, or heading in that direct, talking about following the call. It permeated their dreams, invaded their waking moments, and as time passed, it only grew in strength. Moving in a direction opposite of the call would increase the intensity, heighten the frequency of the coincidences.

And on this trial, the three individuals found themselves travelling to the mountains, together or separately, trudging through the snow. Thankfully, no more was falling, a clear and dark trial for the hike. Following the pull led them past a few tents in obscurely out of reach places, occupied by the suspicious Darbyton Rangers that watched over this particular path.

For this path led to the cave that was calling them.

Within the cave was a roaring fire and several individuals. One was a man in a feathered red cavalier hat, a fancy red jacket with a well tailored vest and shirt, crimson trousers and shiny boots. This was Hielor, the "discoverer" of this particular cave. He was well known for being quite proud of this discovery, despite his archaeological team having discovered exactly nothing about it.

The runes upon the walls in the unknown language had been studied for four seasons, and there had been no headway on deciphering them. There were a few researchers from the University, but nothing had progressed. The cave was spacious, warm, and busy. Newcomers were greeted openly. Several visitors had come and gone through the seasons and still, the cave was nothing more than a cave.

On the back of the cave, there were three stone hands extended from the wall. Much of the study was centered around them, for in Ashan they had grasped three other individuals for a moment, before releasing them. And since then, they'd been entirely inert.

And upon entering the cave, the pull focused upon these stone hands.

! Message from: Aegis
No posting order. Get your asses to the cave by whatever means. Be very specific about what you bring. Other than that, follow the rules outlined in The Vault thread.

word count: 450
Lorena
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Renown: 30
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: Following in Their Footsteps

Words that whispered, words that crept and unrelentingly followed Lorena from dream through to reality. One instance after another she heard them, the constant mutterings of strangers, the constant cycles of never ending dreams; all of them lead here at the base of an obscured pathway.

Warmly received by a band of, to her - eccentric looking individuals whom she guessed were some sort of excavation crew looking to investigate this place with little in the way of progress. Thankful for their kindness in the face of the long journey she had taken, and the journey she was unsure if she was even going to embark upon, the young noble introduced herself as Lorena Burhan.

Offered shelter, the leather clad noble gladly listened to Rangers’ stories of their findings and research and was curious whether or not they would be willing to show her such a find. Weirdly enough everything was going smoothly for her and eventually after a break of talking, Lorena found herself being lead to the opening of a large cave.

Welcomed by a man who went by the name of Helior, Lorena sat near the fire, laying down her cutlass, tent and bedroll to sift through her pack to ensure everything was there as she listened to his version of the story of he found this place. Enchanting as it was ordinary in its design other than the three hands and the intricately carved runes that lay dormant on the wall, the sailor couldn’t help but find herself between a rock and a hard place.

Sure runes were interesting, but what was the point if there was no kind of way to get through them? It was only when Helior shared the story of another group of three adventurers took the hands and passed through, that things finally started to add up.

Lorena paused, her golden flecked gaze lifting from her pack toward the hands on the edge of the wall with avid wonder; could it be possible that was why she was here? She had no real connection to this place and it was far out of range of anything she knew. What on earth could have been calling her here?

Her heart skipped a beat and she gathered her things, step by step drawing closer and closer to a hand that offered itself to her freely and for a moment, she hesitated. But the pull was too strong and her mind went into a haze as her fingers lifted themselves to lightly touch against the palm of the smooth stone.
Bag Contents
Food and Water
2 x Waterskins
1 x Flask of Wine (Small)
1 Week’s worth of dried food rations
4 Trials of Dried, Salted Bison Rations

Spare Outfits
1 x Set of Clothing

General Purpose
1 x Compass
1 x Spyglass
1 x Set of toiletries
1 x Tinderbox
4 x Candles
1 x Lantern
2 x Small Towels
10 x Rags
1 x Oil Lantern
6 x Vial of Lamp Oil

Climbing
Climber's Kit:
1 x Grappling Hook
1 x Hemp Rope (50ft)
1 x Climbing Axe/Hammer
1 x Crampon/Spikes Soles for Boots
1 x Lock-Slip Pulley
1 x Reinforced Crampon Gloves
1 x Pitons (2 Dozen, Stright)
1 x Leather Seat Harness

Writing
1 x Blank Journal
1 x Ink Well
1 x Ink Pen

Medicine
1 Moukou Pain Killing Salve
1 x First Aid Kit:
Bandages for casts (3)
Tourniquet set
Wooden splint braces (6)
Cloth bandage strips (bundle of 15)
Bandage Hooks (12)
Jar of sealing jelly
Folding Burner/brazier assembly
Boiling Pot
Vial of Burner Fuel (lamp oil)
Cauterizing iron (5 tip sizes)
Needle set (curved and straight)
50' Spool of thread
Precision Tweezers
Precision Scissors
Large Vial of Antiseptic Alcohol
Sponges
Sling
word count: 631
Navyri
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Thief
Renown: 348
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

"What if I fall?"

Oh but darling
What if you fly?
Zi'da 93, 718

A jolt tore through her body, electrical and demanding. Haunting blue eyes shot open and her body flew forward, wings fluttering wildly as the fleece blanket slid from her bare body to pool on the floor, silhouettes of furniture and moonlight all in place. At once she felt the cold, creeping up her spine, caressing her arms and neck. Over a collarbone dusted with freckles and the curves of her hip, her body began to wake and Navyri embraced the tension, planting her feet beneath her so that the ice could claim them at last. She snatched the blankets upwards, wrapping it around her form in one fell swoop, her shadowy reflection was but a flicker of movement as she passed the floor length mirror. She began to pace, unable to consider returning to the warmth of her bed, unable to recall her dream, and yet wildly anxious all the same.

Scared and confused, she turned to the window.

It waited, ominous and closed off with thick drapery, only the smallest sliver of light peeked through and she shuffled forward, reaching outward. As the light touched her form, there was a shimmer; the magic molded her barrier of illusion and in the blink of an eye she was solidified, another woman looking out the frosted window pane. And beyond, beneath the luminous judgment of the moons, the mountains looked back. So peaceful, serene, silent... And then-

She felt it. The itch on the back of her skull. The need. As bold and as demanding as she had felt it the night before, and the night before that. It wanted her. Or she wanted it. She couldn't tell.

Her own voice played in the back of her mind, and yet she did not recognize it, (What are we waiting for?) The dark haired woman stood still for a long time, fixated upon the peaks. Resisting. She took a step back, shivering from the nighttime chill and she heard her voice again, sad. No, disappointed, (Oh, Navyri.)

Without hesitation, she pulled back and snapped the curtains closed, clutching the fabric with white knuckles, begging the feeling to go away. And when it didn’t and the sun rose, the Nightingale could resist no longer.

The winged shadow descended, new boot crunching loudly as she landed, white and crimson speckled wings folding beneath a thick and brilliant cloak, as blinding as the snow around it. A great collar of its fur was draped over her neck, two mighty paws hanging proudly over her shoulders; a suggestion of the beast's former power.

Navyri looked up at the group of rangers from behind the cover of her featureless mask, lifting a gloved hand to offer a faint wave. She trudged up the hill, kicking through the frost with her pack, a bit breathless as she fought wind and encumberment. A few of the rangers eyed her but they were not of any concern and she nodded with respect.

The Naer was closer now. To what that was, she did not know, but as the bustling cavern came into view, Navyri felt it again and relinquished to the pull, closing the distance between herself and the opening. Researchers and adventurers alike were standing around, the warmth of the fireplace melting the snow by the edge of the mouth. For a fleeting moment, she wondered if perhaps she was overdressed. Was this a place for scholars?

Adorned in a breast plate of black leather with silver feathered inlaying, it was of remarkable quality and make, a prefatory device from her last adventure, a red satin sash like a streak of blood hung across her hip and clipped in place by rose gold brooch in the shape of a sparrow. Her pants were simple but fitted, lined with fleece to keep out the cold, and her boots, a supple ebony, were laced tight and looked as if metal talons extended from the toes; a removable addition to help her grip rocks and ice. In the mountains, what was one to expect?

Wind. Snow. Cold. Death.

Why did she want to come here so desperately?

Navyri had made sure to stress the need for heat and fire, despite her normal aversion to such things. With the cold season, the merchant had been more than happy to offer her suggestions, having heard about the winged woman with deep pockets. Matches, oil, Faldruss sand and a block of yellow dragon wood. Wool pants, fur lined boots, a cloak. Matched with her weapons, food, and supplies from past misadventures, Navyri hadn’t known what to expect but felt more prepared.

Certainly not a man in red pants and a feathered hat. The Naer sized him up quickly, as he was the first to catch her attention, but soon something more pressing called her name.

The others turned to watch her entrance, and with care, Navyri pulled back her white mask, exposing her face and cerulean gaze lined in thick kohl to protect from sun exposure, giving her gaze a heaviness to its weight, cheeks rosied from the cold.

There was another woman, admiring a wall, its details obscured by the others and Navyri felt a sudden rush of possessiveness, wanting to settle this feeling before any other, and yet she bit her tongue, fighting the impulse, "It seems like I wasn't the only one with a bit of free time today," she smiled in measured jest, trying not to watch the other woman too closely, knocking her gloves together to idly dust away the snow. She looked around, hoping to decipher who among them she might share something in common with, but found her feet moving before she could really stop them. On her way to the hands and wall of runes, Navyri hesitated, "What is known of this place?"

Equipement (OOC)
Clothing:
Blouse - long sleeved. White.***
Cloak - made from the pelt of an arctic bear, it is weighted, lined with fur and waterproofed.***
Pants - Fur lined, dark grey***
Sash - Red, satin, decorative.
Panties - Black, if you must know. Pervert.
Boots - Black leather. Knee length. Fur lined. Removable metal casing that is spiked to better grip snow and ice.***
Gloves - Fur lined.
Mask - White, featureless. A bit unsettling at first.

Armor:
Chest Piece - Black leather, engraved with feather imagery. Masterwork.
Greaves - Black leather. Also engraved. Masterwork.

Weapons:
Tamo Daggers (x2 - a pair.). Dark metal. Normal quality.
Springloaded Dagger - Hidden right wrist. Normal quality.
Bullwhip - Dark leather. Good quality.
Yew Longbow - Light and surprisingly powerful. Handle crafted to fit her hand; carved with her name. Masterwork.
Arrows (x40)

Survival:
Compass
Waterskin (filled)
1 week's dried rations
Oranges (x3)***
Hemp Rope (100ft) - Hangs from a small hook on the left side of her holster.
Yellow Dragon Wood (2lbs block) - burns for a surprising amount of time, smoke smells like cherries.
Jar of Faldruss Sand - Always stays comfortably warm.***
Matches**
Tinderbox
Vial of Lamp Oil
Vial of Antiseptic alcohol.
Bandages (x2 rolls)
1/2 bottle Scalvoran strawberry schnapps.
Torch

Other:
Delroth's brooch - rose gold in the shape of a sparrow.
Backpack - Large, waterproof. Leather.
*** = items purchased.

word count: 1201
Mute
Race: Human
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

"Silence Reigns . . ."

Usually, when overheard conversations and whispered voices spoke of something new and promising, I got excited. Usually. For the last two fortnights, though, I couldn't help but feel alarm instead because coincidence and fate both seemed to be pointing at me this time. Or, rather, I was pointing at them, far off into the snow-clad distance. I was being summoned.

But for what?

Initial attempts to ignore proved futile, and escape seemed an unlikely option as well. Thus, I was forced to accept this involuntary call, unwanted as it was. Had it been in the city of Almund, I might've welcomed it simply to break the dull cycle that was the cold seasons. Alas, inevitability was a cruel mistress, one that sought the conscripted to suffer the journey as well as the destination. The snow was deep on the roads and paths I trudged through, but my winter gear warded away the worst of the Zi'Da chill. My backpack was laden with tools and items I thought pertinent to the impending task at hand, though it was hard to prepare for a scenario that I knew nothing about. In other words, I did my best.

Snow gave way to stone as I was directed through the opening of a cave. Any other trial, I would've paused in the threshold and taken in the strange sights that the cavern offered me, from the brightly dressed man to the foreign script imprinted on the walls. These were details I noted in passing, like a stream eroding away pebbles in its bottom. I scraped the barest hint away from it all before rushing beyond it to the next, to my destined tributary.

A stone hand, one of three.

Two women stood in front of the other two, their faces a blur in my haste to reach my own position. Perhaps I knew them already. More likely they were complete strangers. None of that mattered compared to the importance of this stone hand. Like a moth to flame I was drawn and I did not hesitate as I pressed my hand against it. I had had thirty trials to doubt and worry about this moment.

Now, all I could do was live it. And, hopefully, survive it.
Equipement (OOC)
Clothing:
Wool Coat, Fur Trim***
Cotton Long-Sleeved Shirt***
Starting Pair of Pants
Starting Pair of Boots
Wool Socks***
Leather Gloves, Fur Trim***
Wool Scarf***

Weapons:
Short Sword, Normal Quality***

Survival:
Waterskin
Tinderbox
Set of Toiletries
Bed Roll***
Compass***
Spelunking Kit***

Other:
Bag, Large Waterproof with Shoulder Straps
Blank Journal
Inkwell
Ink Pen

*** = items purchased.
word count: 437
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Hielor smiled broad as the prettiest of the three new arrivals asked him a question. He didn't attempt to hide his appreciative eyes as he looked over her form, though there was no lust or desire in his eyes as he did so. No, this flamboyant and well dressed man was appreciating the style she maintained, even in practical attire. He approached her, "In all honesty, we know so very little."

He extended a hand, not for a shake, but so as to take hers and receive a kiss upon it, if she would allow it. "But not for a lack of trying. Or resources," he said, a bit annoyed at the last bit. He gestured to the hands that were being approached by Lorena and Mute, "What we do know is that the stone in this cave, the entire cave is indestructible. We've tried every tool known to man. We've tried chemicals. We've tried small explosives. I even hired a few people with magical powers. Nothing has even managed to leave a scratch."

And in that moment, the hands Lorena and Mute were touching moved, and rapidly so. They closed around their hands, a grip tight and encompassing. There was no pain in this touch, but it was secure enough that pulling their hands free would be an impossibility. Hielor smiled, "Well, well, well, another set of special guests."

He looked at Navyri now, "We had three guests a while back, much like yourselves. They didn't come together, simply showed up one trial. When they touched the hands, the hands took a hold of them. Well, two of them. The third eventually gave it a go. And then all three passed out at once, waking up a moment later, free from the hands. Strangest thing. They don't move for everyone."

He walked over to the third hand, and touched it. Nothing happened, "See? It is picky. It chooses who to reach out to, I suppose. For what purpose, who knows?" He walked away from the trapped Lorena and Mute toward a wall of runes, "We've not yet figured out this language. All the best researchers from the University tell me it isn't any known language. The only thing anyone can agree on is that this cave is old. Really, really old. But even that is just a guess."

He looked over at Lorena and Mute, chuckling, "So what brought you here? Heard word and got curious? That's what brings most of the others."
This round is optional for Lorena and Mute, but feel free to post if so desired. This is a Navyri round, meaning once she posts, I'll post. :D There's no posting order, so no need to be waiting on one another.

word count: 467
Lorena
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Renown: 30
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

All the nonsense on earth couldn’t bring Lorena to fathom what happened next. Through a series of unfortunate events, mainly a lack of caution and some weird gravitational pull, Lorena found herself stuck. “Boulderdash,” the sailor cursed as her gaze drifted to the grating voice of the glorified peacock explorer and his new feminine prize. This was fantastic, great… just great.

Her gaze shifted to the dodgy looking individual at her side, who the heck was he? Grumpily tugging at the hand Lorena pulled, twisted and stumbled as she pushed off the edge of the wall. There was no way for her to break free. “I have no idea who you are, but I swear to the immortals I hope someone else comes soon or we’re going to have to get to know each other for a while,” the sailor addressed the shady mc quiet guy. There was more talking from the peacock explorer, why so much talking? Was it her curse? To be perpetually surrounded by people in love with the sound of their own voice.

Apparently they had tried everything and the next step was that the third would come along to knock them out and release them. Lorena stood very still, steadily eyeing Helior with frustration. The person that discovered this place still has no idea what it does, perfect. Nothing could have been better.

“So what brought you here? Heard word and got curious? That’s what brings most of the others.”

“A lady never reveals her secrets and a gentleman never asks!” Lorena interjected, using the cave’s echo to enhance the sound of her voice. “Echo!” the woman yelled again with a sly smile, taking this opportunity to watch the small dramatic love affair of the peacock and Navyri, his chosen one. If they were going to be there for a while, they might as well make the best of it.
word count: 319
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

"What if I fall?"

Oh but darling
What if you fly?
Zi'da 93, 718

In the heated mouth of the cavern, Navyri was aware of the weight of her cloak and felt uncomfortably warm now that the bite of icy wind had subsided, “Indestructible?” The man was speaking and Navyri eyed him wearily as she was undoing the clasp of her outerwear, and extended a hand for a kiss. It was chaste and quick; a sign of respect. He was quick to continue his briefing while Navyri leaned over a table to inspect some notes, much of which were unhelpful. A few caught her eye and she greedily took in the new information.

She looked towards the wall and runes, taking it all in until the stone hands moved and grabbed the other two who had begun touching things that weren’t theirs, “My, my,” There was a morbid fascination that made her take a step forward, a bit of horror in her expression. What was this place? The dark haired woman turned her chin upward, taking in its presence around her. So far up the mountain, it made her wonder… What could it have been used for?

“Just really old? No guesses on the arc?” Without weather damage or a discernible language, it would be neigh impossible to approximate, but if there was no mention of it in books, then it had to predate the city itself, “How old Scalvoris?” she inquired, brows furrowing as she tried to do the math. Just like her lessons on pirate rule with the Warden, the Naer was reminded once more that her history knowledge was admittedly lacking. She made a mental note to go to the library when all this was said and done.

They moved closer and Navyri smiled at the duo. Her own hand was tucked tightly in her pocket to keep it from reaching out. Oh, she really wanted to. Heilor was asking a question, amused by the predicament pf the other two adventurers. Discovering it was not the first time the hands had moved made her turn sharply, brow furrowing. She waited impatiently.

“So what brought you here? Heard word and got curious? That’s what brings most of the others.”

Even the blue eyed woman was interested in their answer and what she got in return was quite the disappointment. The woman began screeching like a child, shouting about being a lady and then mewled for attention. Echo, echo, indeed. The shadow woman sighed, shaking her head.

“Well, I’m no lady,” she remarked, waving a hand in dismissal and tapping Heilor on the shoulder to redirect his attention, “I’d like a copy of these runes, exactly as they are written,” she stated simply, hanging her mask at her side tucking her gloves in the waistband of her pants. She tapped a blank piece of parchment and nudged a vial of ink in his direction, as if what she was about to say required written attention. After all, how could one become a legend without a little give and take?

If she was going to risk her life again on this island, she wanted some recognition. Praise be to Navyri. What a nice ring.

She re-positioned her supplies so that they hung comfortably by her side and moved towards the last hand, “My name is Navyri. And while I can speak for no one but myself,” she began, brushing against the runes, "I was drawn here. Called, I think.” She looked over her shoulder to make sure he was paying attention and tapped the wall thoughtfully, “It began earlier this season… I thought I was just dreaming it.”

Navyri felt her resolve waver and she swallowed her pride, “But it was more than that. It was all I heard when people spoke. All I could focus on. Like something, or someone directed my thoughts…It haunts me still. It worries me.” She had been called to other places before, and with mixed results, “I imagine these two had similar experiences, whether they admit it or not.” She shot a pointed look at both of them, most focused on Lorena.

Now here she was, closing her eyes to consider her next move. The hand still waited. Navyri lowered to her knees so that she sat comfortably. She was willing to wager the others had been drawn in as well. No three strangers showed up separately and were called to do the same thing without purpose.

The question was, why? Would they share a vision? Be taken someplace both real and unreal, similar to the Miasma? A chilling thought. And yet what things were waiting to be discovered where mere men failed?

Muttering a quick plea to the forces that be, Navyri waited to see if anyone would fulfill her request for the written replica and then settled in her spot like a woman preparing for prayer. It would be far more dangerous to be standing if there was a threat of passing out. Best to be careful when testing theories.

She held a defiant, almost mischievous look in her eye, “See you on the other side.” Navyri slid her hand into the stone monolith and slumped forward.

word count: 872
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

"Well miss, we only think that it is incredibly old as we haven't seen anything like it anywhere else on Scalvoris, or any of my other expeditions in all honesty. The University researches have found ancient dwellings dating back a couple hundred arcs prior to the Great Restoration. Those, coupled with some oral histories suggest that humans have been on Scalvoris for at least a thousand arcs. But they've never crafted anything like this."

"That we know of."

"Oh don't give me that. You've seen their stone work. Rough made, river stone in origin. This, this is something else. I think it is Them. The older ones we've seen references to in the oldest of oldest whispers."

"That's just a theory. We have no evidence they were even real. For all we know they were simply lesser deities or myths."

Hielor's face grew a bit sour, "It is them, I know it. This is the work of The Shay." Hielor stomped away from his doubtful partner, "Please don't mind her. No heart for hopes." He watched Navyri and Lorena's brief exchange, "Navyri? What a lovely name. I swear I heard a story once about... Nah, can't be. That's all the way on the other side of the map. I have many copies here," he grabbed a stack from the table and slid them into a leather binder, "Here you are. May you have better luck than us. Feel free to drop us a hint if you crack it though, I'd be most honored." He tipped his cavalier at her with a flirting smile.

Then the look of surprise washed over him. "Drawn here? Interesting. Maybe it isn't luck after all, but rather, it truly calls to those that can make the hands move. That is quite the revelation, I think. I would love to hear every detail of that if you'd like, and I'll pay, of course. This is the first we've heard of this."

His eyes grew wide with anticipation and excitement as Navyri stepped forward and reached out for the stone hand. Once she touched it, it came to life, just as the others. But rather than capturing her hand as it did them, its fingers slipped between her own, as gently and nicely as a lover would. Once it completed the embrace, all three individuals were pulled toward the door. Mute and Lorena's arms pulled a bit forcefully, while Navyri's led her just as one might lead her to a dance floor. The arms slipped into the stone and pulled all three with them.

And just like that, the three were presented the other side of the wall. Lorena and Mute were tossed down toward the ground like discarded whores into the gutter, while Navyri was allowed to walk out just as gracefully. The transition had not been painful for any of them, there was a pressure, just as being deep underwater, but with a slight roughness of stone. However, the moment they passed through, Navyri was cut off from her patrons of Balaera and Delroth through her marks. Any attempt to use the marks would find them completely inactive.

But her wings still worked perfectly, so there was that.

They found themselves in a large room, with stone walls, ceiling, and floor, all expertly carved into heavy bricks. The wall to the left of the part was covered in inscriptions and runes, quite similar to the outer cave. And soon it would become evident that they could all see clearly in here, as though standing in a room of their own house during the daytime, but there was no obvious source or direction of light. Straight ahead of the party, was a small river, of sorts. Small enough that with a good running jump, any of them could probably cross it. And it flowed, right to left, mildly choppy, but most certainly not turbulent.

Any attempt to reach across the plane of the water's edge, however, would find resistance in the form of an invisible barrier. Something prevented entry into or over the water. Looking into the water, a long, shadowy figure could be seen swimming in the water. Off to the right, the water's origin was a wall, or rather, a building. A shop to be specific. A big, wooden sign over a door, reading Charlie's Charming Carvings. There was a large glass window, well lit by lanterns from inside the shop. In the window, wooden toys of all imaginable types could be seen, dolls, fake weapons, ships, and so on and so forth.

A man inside the shop walked past the window, setting a new toy, a horse with a man it, on display. He then returned back through a door in the back of the shop. The store looked like it belonged in a large, fancy type of city. It truly had everything one could want, if it was made from wood. At the back of the shop, next to the door, was an ornately carved counter, with a sign that read "Training Courses offered". And from the back, a hooting whistle could be heard, playing a tune.
Okeydoke.

word count: 879
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

"What if I fall?"

Oh but darling
What if you fly?
Zi'da 93, 718

When she had reached outward, Navyri had expected similar treatment to her companions, one of which she recognized upon closer inspection, but this revelation was short lived. Stone fingers slipped between her own and the touch felt startling alive if chilling, and she held her breath as she was drawn forward, the world she had become familiar with fading somewhere far behind her.
The sensation was unlike anything she had ever experienced and she gasped when the transition completed, stepping out into the new realm with a stunned expression. She blinked and spun, looking down at herself and then to her partners who were recovering upon the floor. Had they tripped? She looked back over her shoulder, but there was no evidence of a door.

Navyri ran a palm over the large bricks, breaking her own rule of not touching anything without reason, but a look of wonder danced in her blue orbs as she traced the runes with her finger, “Everyone still alive?” she wondered idly, grinning at how different she felt. It was like a mental tickle or a shock, and an emptiness. Having spent so much time sharing her consciousness with Delroth’s gift, she hadn’t realized how open her mind felt without it. She felt… exposed.

Empty, but free. A patron of her own destiny…

Looking down, she noticed that her gear was still with her and she lifted her copy of the runes up to compare them to the ones around her. So, whatever had happened in getting here, it hadn’t taken her things. Already off to a much better start than the Miasma, she thought, and then turned, the corner of her eye catching the shadow figure that lurked within the water, “Does anyone have a pen I can borrow?”

Her tone of voice was careful, but she no longer turned her back to the river, the excitement within her measured now. ‘Remember your training,’ she reprimanded herself, ‘There is deceit in comfort. Stay alert. Stay alive.’

Another figure moved in the shop window and she tensed, curious of the reaction of the others, before nodding towards the mute man she recognized with a secretive smile, “I bet you have one.”

Navyris’ eyes bounced between the two and she stepped towards the woman, their first impression not all that remarkable. If the Biqaj was as impatient as she had been, the Naer would need to be careful to distance herself from such reckless behavior. A far cry from being a representation of safe decisions, Navyri at least liked to think of herself as resourceful if nothing else, but some people were even more self-destructive than herself. They acted before their mind caught up, but the secret was learning to balance the two.

Whether they gave her a pen or not, Navyri would press onward. If offered one, she would copy a few lines down to the best of her ability beneath the ones already in her possession, and the move towards the shop. As a shopaholic when her purse permitted, it was simply begging her attention. Navyri gave a polite knock on the door frame and then took a tentative step forward, "Hello? Charlie? Anyone?"

word count: 549
Mute
Race: Human
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

"Silence Reigns . . ."

Clarity overtook me on the other side of . . . well, wherever I found myself now. The trance I had fallen into had faded with a jarring thud, like a cold splash of water in the face. My psyche had been drowning in fixation and I had only know just overcome it. My first moments on my new deserted island. It mattered little that I was actually in a cave deep in the Scalvoris Mountains, or that I had arrived with two other individuals; the sentiment was still the same.

I recognized one of my ill-chosen companions by the wings on her back. The last time I had seen her, trapped within that strange maze, I had thought them a product of dreams. I was mistaken, of course, and in all honestly I should not have been shocked in the slightest. With all that seemed possible in this world, wings were not the most difficult to accept. I sensed recognition from the woman when she requested a pen from me. Normally such familiarity would bother me, but it was welcomed in such an upside-down circumstance like this one. Thus, after a little digging, I fished out the only pen I brought to oblige the woman and her curiosities.

I took a few moments to gather my wits about me. The brickwork around and overhead seemed of good workmanship, though as someone ill-versed in stonework it was hard to determine any defining characteristics of it all. The winged-woman seemed on top of closer examination of the inscriptions so I didn't make any attempt to follow up on her discoveries, if any were had. Nor did make any attempt towards the water and the shadowy figure that swam in its depths. I myself was hardly adept at the skill and didn't feel like testing my own ability or the ability of the creature that lurked beyond.

That left, then, Charlie's Charming Carvings to investigate. The thought of another human being in this strange place unsettled me, I trusted my abilities to deal with them over anything aquatic. Plus, Navyri seemed just as keen to interact with the woodsman as I, so I felt more confident. Not brash, never certain, but at the very least bolstered. If the other woman decided to tag along as well, I'd feel even more comfortable, but I did not urge her in any way to follow in our stead.

Nav took the lead and I quickly fell in behind her as she drew up beside the door. While she knocked, I took the time to observe the front window and the various bits of merchandise available. Again, I was no expert on the craftsmanship, but I couldn't help but think that Charlie probably had the best selection of toys on this side of the cavern wall. Given the chance, if it arose in conversation, I was definitely interested in taking part in one of these "Training Courses" advertised. Who knew if I'd ever get another opportunity.
word count: 509
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”