• Closed • Lovestruck

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Vorpal, Ghoul

Mute
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Lovestruck

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:15 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."
YMIDEN 61, 718
Havardr

Emerit and I found the yurt-city of Havardr in a state of joyous uproar as the twin suns began to dip across the horizon in the west. I hazarded a guess that it had something to do with the trio of whale carcasses clustered on the shore, harvesters surrounding it like flies on cattle. When my companion had last spoke these fisherman, they had been plagued with rumors of rotting catches, but it seems that their luck had turned to-trial. Thus, the celebration. A longboat had met us where the schooner laid anchored in the natural harbor--there were no docks on this stretch of coastline the towns had settled upon, and brought us back to dry land to join them in their merriment. Of our company, the locals only seemed to recognize Em, but their hospitality this evening extended to us strangers as well.

I was never much one for parties, but it was a necessary sacrifice in the search for the secrets I sought.

Emerit, as she was known to do on occasion, talked too much. Much of it was useless beyond the context of the single conversation, little more than words to fill a silence that the woman seemed fearful of allowing to take root in her life. I tolerated the practice because every once in a while a gem could be extracted from the torrential rock slide of information. She had casually made mention of Havadr's psuedo-mayor Linca, a name I recognized from the first story the sailor had ever told me, had had conflict with the Immortals. Something about an affront to one of the two parties. That intrigued me. Despite my distaste for the Gods, I could not dismiss the curiosity that whenever they were brought up in a conversation. So, with some difficulty getting Em to cease her monologues to express interest in visiting her hometown, the red-haired woman obliged me this detour between our two fishing expeditions.

My boots made the transition from shallow water to sand with a slight squish. I held back, letting Emerit draw up beside me, staring at her for a moment. I wanted her to be my guide for now until I became more comfortable with these fisher-folk. I just hoped the woman didn't feel inclined to talk to every single one of them as we made our way to Linca . . .
word count: 407
Emerit
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Fisher(wo)man
Renown: +10
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Re: Lovestruck

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 am

Aye. Ain't it good to see the town getting drunk on success rather than pity, Emerit thought when she saw the catch. She didn't know if they were all fresh or not, but she be damned if this was not the cause for all the celebrations! That alone put a wide smile on her face as if she herself was the prime whaler who spotted and speared the beasts. She even mentioned to everyone on board that if it wasn't for her in the beginning of the season, them wet nose sorry cases of whalers would still be in the shallow waters hunting for fish farts! Wasn't that just fabulous that she managed to break the spell brought on by Havardr-ains themselves? It pleased her even more when she spotted the boats that were used in the past now donning upgrades to aid the hunt.

Linca seemed to have followed her advise. Good man. Fair man. Dumb man though for attracting so much rumour all the bloody time. But hey, Emerit was not the head of the town so she cared not for the gossip flying around unless it was there to amuse her. And this time, there was such a piece.

On board her schooner, she had the Scalvtown city crew and Mute. A man who was odd and oddly sticking around. Him and her seemed to have been randomly bumping into each other around Scalvoris Town. Emerit either ascribed it to stalking or fate but eventually she suggested to him if he wanted to join in for a fish hunt. Or did he just tag along himself? Hard to tell and frankly it did not bother her. She was fine believing in secret admirers, right? Although, Mute was just an odd one. She vaguely remembered him from their first meeting and what she perceived as oddness before, she could now safely pinpoint as a defect of speech. Or well...no speech at all. It made the man a challenge to read but on the other hand, it made him a prime subject to her stories for his body language was the only thing that gave away his feelings, thoughts. She could learn to spot those and then spot them in others to sway her storytelling the right way for the most effect. But more than that, even if she found the silence between them deafening at times when she wasn't filling it in with her talking, she found it strangely comforting. That is...when she was willing to indulge it.

Either way, now back on shore, Emerit caught up with Mute, giving him a good-hearted smack on the back of the shoulder as she looked up. "Aye my friend. Be ready for some drinking. You better not be a whuss like the first time. Although...you dids take me home." Her smile was a dazzle and it travelled up to her eyes, lighting up all over her face. Approaching the crowd, some people recognised her and a few separated from the gathering to come and greet her, Mute and the few sailors who disembarked the ship with them.

Amongst the laughter of introduction where Emerit fittingly called Mute...Mute, one of the citizens exclaimed amused. "Looks at 'er! She broughts 'ome a fella!" That awarded him a jolly good, playful punch on the shoulder.

"Get yer head of yer arse, grounder. Since when can a man ties me down?" Squaring her shoulders and opening up her chest, she displayed fierce independence like the wind over the open waters. When amongst her own, everything about Emerit became local. Even her Common became slangish, not entirely correct with grammar. But that was her way of fitting in. These were her people. This was her home. Put her in Andaris and she would be an entirely different person.

Laughing some more, they were encouraged to join the gathering. After all, Linca was about to make it to 'center-stage'. Simply, the middle of the half circle around the catch where he could address everyone. The crowd slowly fell silent as their representative started a god-damned speech of how blessed they were, how good their men were, how much the boats were good, and yada yada yada...her name was not popping up. Her body now stiffened slightly, expecting the three-syllabled word that was her name to ring through the air. She saved them no? She deserved recognition no?
word count: 754
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:39 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."
I imagine it was quite the sight to those watching when Emerit reached up and slapped me across the back, given that my shoulders were eye level to her, even when I was slouching. It was a friendly gesture, one of many that the woman had shown me in the trials I had recently spent with her. It was crazy the bonds formed among humanity over the most mundane encounters. Yet here we were, Em and I, two people who enjoyed each other's company, all at the cost of a drink, a story, and a shared walk home. It was a rare occurrence in my life to accept another's person company as easily as I had her's.

I just hoped she didn't make me regret it.

The green glow of gratitude radiated from Em's Tangle, mixing with the warmth of her beaming smile. She warned me of the impending inebriation to come, trying her best to challenge my ego in her effort to make me partake more. Yet there was no malice behind her words, only that same energy that I had witnessed in Almund earlier in the season. My my, she was a fiery one, drunk or not. It truly was a pleasant change from the dark cloud that perpetually hung over the usual people he encountered.

A group of locals split off of the larger mob and moved in our direction. Emerit handled the introductions, unknowingly naming me by the title I technically went by in an effort to be clever. I made no effort to acknowledge it one way or another; I didn't want to clue her in to how right she had actually been. One of the men heckled the woman about bringing home a man after that. It took me a moment to realize he had been referring to me and no one of the other sailors in our company. Thankfully, Em dismissed the notion with her usual bluster, sparing me from having to deny it myself.

Already I could see the effects of being home in Emerit's dialect and demeanor. It was quite the phenomenon to watch a native return to their home and revert to the local behaviors so quickly again, as if they hadn't left it at all. It was a habit I could not relate to, given that I had never returned to my birthplace. A somber thought that stood out, just as I myself did, amidst the laughter and joy. Thankfully no one really noticed or, at least, pointed it out.

A crowd was forming around the half-harvested whales, eager to hear the speech of a man standing in its center. His long, dark hair was bound back with a leather throng, freeing his weathered face from stray locks blown about by the sea breeze. Emerit and the locals she spoke with headed in that direction, so I followed behind them. Something told me that this man was an important figure in the village, perhaps even Linca himself. I wasn't certain, though, given that Em had not described him at all to me in her stories.

"U'Frek has smiled upon us this trial, my brothers and sisters," the man began. I shuddered, knowing already the direction of the speech to come. There would be little acknowledgement of their own accomplishment; it would all be awarded to the 'Gods.' "Havardr prayed for our Immortal to turn a blind eye to us, and thus we were bountiful. We found safety and success, all because of the capable hands who guided our ships expertly. And, thus, we celebrate!"

I felt Emerit tense up beside me as the speech continued for a bit longer. I couldn't quite sense which part of it had upset her; maybe she shared a similar stance on the Immortals as I did. It certainly would increase my appreciation for her substantially if that was the case but, for once, she didn't voice her issues aloud. That, I thought, was shocking.

When the man finished his speech, and the crowd begin to return to their partying, I tugged on Emerit's sleeve and pointed at the man giving the speech. The question was pretty straightforward: who was that man? I imagined that a little prompting was all the red-haired woman needed to start that rant forming within her.

Fiery indeed.
word count: 736
Emerit
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:55 am

Fecking Linca. Has he ever seen a flippin' Immortal? Or was he just going around pissing everybody off then trying to rub them right again? Emerit was not impressed unlike the rest of the crowd that cheered. People raised their drinks, spilling the mead and heeding words that did not pay tribute to those who mattered the most...after Emerit's brilliant idea. Although she was a believer herself, after all grandpops taught her as a devout Siera'ja, Emerit felt like rubbing Linca's face in some whale gut. Maybe the stench would wake him up. She was about to take a step forward. One she'd felt would shake the ground like giants tiptoe game. Maybe she was even wanting to follow up on her little plan. But then the tug on her arm came, stopping her right on time.

Her eyes that turned amber with the heat of injustice done to her name, now looked at Mute. She was not angry at him, but she sure was not hiding the heat. Mute would know, she thought. Somehow, he seemed to know her moods even before they crept to her eyes. But thankfully, the rest of the citizens were not so familiar with the meanings of her colors.

"Fecking Linca, Mute. That butt licking bastard of a..." She huffed, twisting her shoulder slightly as if to relieve the heavy upset settling on there. Alas, it was like a bloke who did not understand the word no. It just would not leave.

"I's gotta tell him who did this for the village." Emerit gruntled resolutely, turning around and dodging people in the crowd...less skilfully than when she drunk walked home.

"Oi, yer mastery prince!" The young Biqaj called out when she was hearing distance from the man. There was jest in her tone so contradictory to the sense of mistreatment of information she felt. Yet, her words were laced with a hint of sarcasm. Such was the Biqaj way to not give in to anger even if it raged in her belly and chest. Instead, she'd deliver her lecture on the notes of laughter and pointed banter to hammer the point home, she believed...

"Em!" Linca exclaimed in return throwing his arms out wide, his cheerful expression clearly unaware of the missteps he committed.
word count: 396
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:12 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."

I found it interesting that Emerit's eyes changed with her emotions but never seeming to mirror the color of her Tangle. Her irises' spectrum felt more limited, more bound by genetics, whereas her psyche was a iridescent rainbow, ever-changing from trill to trill. Flecks of silver and gold scattered about the two orbs, a wealth of emotion, but at the same time it felt . . . lacking. Give me the vibrant red that matched the woman's mane, her anger has hot as the hue I could see wrapping around her mind. The truths that could found there exceeded any secrets the look into her eyes could ever offer.

Yet I stared into them none the less, trapped like an insect in the amber.

Emerit cursed the the man, Linca, for the speech he had just given. What portion of it had set her off I could not determine, but she was determined the tell him exactly what was on her mind. I expected nothing less from my companion, nor did I have any intention of stopping her. The poor mayor with his poorer choice of words was the one I sought to question, so Em's hunt for him suited my goals just fine. Still, I felt sorry for the man given the ear full he was about to get.

The woman started to weave through the crowd, but I didn't follow immediately; it wasn't like I could lose her in the crowd, what with the bright red hair amidst a sea of brown and black. Before I went with her, I needed to find Linca a little gift. The rumor was he only spoke of this affront when he was drinking heavy. The least I could do was get him started down that path and hope Em would pick up the slack once she cooled off. Hopefully.

One of the locals spotted me looking around and seemed to read my mind. A few trills later, a horn mug of ale was thrust in my hands. I nodded thanks and the man beamed at me before disappearing into the crowd again. Taking a quick sip in case the figure was watching me, I made my way over to Emerit and Linca. I had missed what the woman had said first, but it hadn't seemed to faze the mayor given his arms were outstretched like he was giving a hug. I slipped in beside Em, patting her on the shoulder lightly while I handed the mug over to Linca in greeting.

And hoped then that Emerit didn't take that gesture as a sign that I was siding with Linca over her in this impending spat. If she did, I was fearful this was gonna get ugly.
Last edited by Mute on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 462
Emerit
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:56 pm

What a start. First strike missed its mark like a drunken sailor would miss the hammock. Slam dung right on the floor stepped over with that cheer on his face. Smack it sideways, would ya? Emerit thought, feeling she'd volunteer for that task. Ah well, it was just a greeting after all. 'The antre' as she heard it called some place in the world. It was time to serve the main dish.

She was about to start with guilt trip mission masked as a series of jests. She was ready to tear down his high-society attitude to her level of commonality. Not that she was common, (anything but! she believed) but a bit of face rubbed in the dirt might help a man to remember where he really came from. So she took in a breath...

And that's how far it went...as Mute arrived, sliding in like a fox with a drink. Kaboom! Mind. Blown. The heck? Looking from the horn up at Mute, then back to the hand that held the horn now in Linca's possession.

"Aye! You brought a man!" Linca said with the same cheer, taking a sip of the mead to which he would say no. Em felt like she was in need of a drink herself just to give her mind a reason to spin.

"I broughts a friend, Loopface." Emerit responded, placing her hands at her hips. "What was thats on the side tho? Dids U'frek come and build the boats fer you? 'Cause they frickin' look like built by a blind man." That hurt. Ouch. Sorry old man. She immediately apologized, feeling the pang herself as if she stabbed those words at her own face. Linca laughed. Her blood froze.

"I wish. But nah, couple of our own put some of those ideas of yours to work. Got a bit creative too. And it works!"

"'Course it dus." Emerit muttered, her ego far from satiated at the whisper of praise. As if Linca knew, or perhaps she sucked at hiding her feelings something, because there must have been a hint of a pout on her face. Suddenly the mayor was draping a hand over her shoulder.

"Ah, someone is a sourpuss." Now who was daring to jab at her?! She shot him a glance and before she could retort anything even remotely witty, Linca stole the wind out of her sails. "You know, all of us here know that these were your ideas. I mean you blew the rumour out of the water, you told me to get better boats. So I did. No one here pins this solely on me. But you know these folks. Few of them are Siera'ja and..."

And so he was still happy to pin it on the Immortals instead...
word count: 477
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:00 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."

Once, at a festival in Rynmere, there had been a street performer with a pet monkey, not unlike the simian Emerit herself kept on her ship. A horse had passed earlier the break and had defecated on the cobblestones of the plaza, a real unfortunate sight and smell amidst the celebration. Finally, at one point, the monkey broke away from its master and snatched up a handful of the matter and aimed to throw it in the crowd. Oh, the panic wrought by the beast's beady eyes as it scanned from face to face selecting its target. I could understand how these poor people had felt as I stood alongside Linca while the fiery red-head glanced stared at the two of us.

Wondering in which direction the poop will fly first.

Thankfully, Linca proved a more satisfying target for Em's renewed frustration. I was practically ignored while the woman unloaded on the local, leaving me to try and decipher the thread of the conversation. And try and decide what the insult 'Loopface' could possibly mean, of course. I appreciated her cynicism towards the Immortal and his perceived blessings, though I still could not decide whether that was a clear sign that she herself was a nonbeliever. Perhaps I didn't want to know, lest my opinion of her be tainted.

Beyond that, there was little said that Emerit had not already inferred to me once before. I had heard the story about the rotting whales and ship modifications already, so this conversation did little more than confirm what the woman had drunkenly told me earlier in the season. I hadn't come here to hear about the current maritime techniques in Havardr, however, so I learned little in the two's exchange. Plus, Linca didn't speak of a man with an affront to the Immortals given his praise offered to U'Frek; though, of course, his strife could involve one of the other members of the pantheon. It seemed there was only one course of action: I needed to get Linca drunk.

And perhaps Emerit, too, to help appease any ill-will she might have towards me. It certainly would make the evening a bit more peaceful. For everyone involved.

Another local walked by with a handful of mugs, so I snatched two out of his hand and passed one to Emerit. Forget the Immortals; Emerit's anger was the only God I sought to appease tonight, and hopefully this was a right good start.
word count: 421
Emerit
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:23 pm

And there it came. A horn landed in her own hand and Immortal’s knew that she could use a gulp right about now. So she did! And it was a big one!

Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, she suppressed a small burp of rushed drinking that was crawling up her throat at the speed of the two suns. What to say? What to do? But try to kick someone’s ass with words and do it graciously…

“You kno’ Linca. You’re probably just trying to get along with them Immortals again, no? I hears you’s been spitting on their name recently.” Em decided to pull out a card she knew might have been timed well...or not. But at this stage, she gave one drunken sailor’s snot about what this man would think. A bit of hot pit boilin’ to set him rollin’ of his guard was all she needed to get her minor revenge for correction.

He nearly snorted his mead instead of drinking the glorious liquid. Coughing then ensued. Triumph to the patient! So Emerit grinned over the top of her cup because this was no coincidence. Them eyes of his and the way he turned them around as if she just spoke of some vile creature were good signs. She would bet they were. Sure he didn’t think of himself as the evil, no?

“Wha--- What?” Linca asked incredulously. She would bet her undergarments that sometimes he was a good actor because this was gold and the folks around would totally fall for the mask. Perhaps this was one of the ways how he got to where he was. Good for him...sometimes.

On the edge of the crowd, music broke out to underline a scenery of boisterous celebrations. Sure they had a scene here alright?

“What, what? Don’t plays dumbs, Linca. You’s sticking it up to them and you knows it!” She was provoking him. She was playing with something sensitive and his reactions gave her the hints she needed. Did she care? Not really. At this stage, she would wash his face in his dirty clothes and make him have a good sniff.
word count: 377
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:39 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."

The beauty of having a companion who enjoyed to talk was that guiding the conversation never proved quite as difficult. When alone, my ability to communicate was always hit and miss, especially when I was trying to elicit specific information from a person. Pen and paper helped some--when the individual was literate, of course--but it was not always conducive to a speedy exchange of information. Emerit, then, proved a reliable mouthpiece in the conversation with Linca. Especially when she delivered a jab to the Havardrian regarding his apparent lack of respect to the Immortals.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Linca's sputter wasn't necessarily indicative of any sort of guilt, though it was a striking reaction none the less. His emotions, I noticed, spiked immediately after Emerit's comment, which proved somewhat useful in making a decision on the truthfulness of the matter. Sadly, it didn't look promising. Confusion dominated his psyche like a sunrise, pale orange and bright. The man didn't seem to quite understand the accusation. Perhaps his stuttered questions were genuine . . .

Not that Em cared, bless her. Like a practiced torturer, my companion wasn't going to give in now that she had been slighted. Linca shook his head, vehemently before answering, "Em, you've known me most of your life, child. I've always shown the Immortals every respect a humble man like me could possibly muster. Short of promising my first born to their service, of course." He paused suddenly, shaking his head a second time a bit more softly. "Not that I ever had any." The man took a long gulp of his mead after that last comment, nearly draining the cup.

I observed as a new thread weaseled its way into Linca's Tangle. Sadness, perhaps even regret. The two blues that represented those colors could be hard to discern at times, but it wasn't necessary to pinpoint in the moment. Both suggested to me that there was some negative attachment to never having children in his life. It was very likely that there was no connection between this and the rumor I was seeking information for, but as of yet it was the only lead we had. All of Linca's other responses to the questioning seemed truthful, at least to my discerning eye.

I could only hope that Emerit would continue down the right trail of questioning. And keep the man liquored up, of course. It was said Linca became quite the talker when he was drunk. Thus, I handed him the drink I grabbed for myself, untouched and full to the brim. He accepted it gladly.
word count: 447
Emerit
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Pah. Yeah, she knew him all her life alright. But there was a difference between a kid looking up to the older, awesome charms of a man growing up...and an adult, able to challenge the status without being patted on the head and called cute.

Yet, despite the glint in her eyes of a cheerful predator waiting for an opening to get the final kill, Emerit noticed that shift in Linca's expression. It was subtle and well hidden in arcs of practise to hide it. But after Em grew up in this town where sorrows were buried at the bottom of a tankard, it wasn't so hard to see them still floating on the face.

So perhaps that was her reward. The drowning of ones regrets at the expense of a jab. So she clapped his shoulder just as Mute passed Linca another drink. She couldn't help but look at the lanky, pale male with a surprise on her face accompanied by a smile. Just where from was he getting all that alcohol? Part of her wanted to spin him around to find that cheating method or the magical sack of eternal booze. Either way, she wanted to learn it and have it because sure that was a versatile skill! But then again, there were many walking around handing out mead like sweets.

Alas, she would take advantage of either later. For now, she had some sentiment to tear to shreds.

"Ya'know. You's still in prime age. You could gets any woman and has kids with her!" Gathering the man around the shoulders she swung her hand out into the crowd which was in full celebrations, some of the precious liquid splashing and swishing in her cup.

"Any woman outs there would totes pop in yo' bed tonight." And sure any would. If it wouldn't be for love, it'd be for status. Because...women were shallow like that. The richness of association that did them fuck all when the man died. She found that pathetic but then would do nothing to stop it. It wasn't her fight, ok? For her, it was the richness of experience! Stories to tell! Now that was Emerit's depth. The world of excitement at her feet that she sure would not tie herself down with any high posted man to lose it.

Yet, Linca scoffed. Where other men would get encouraged and perhaps grab a woman by the hips, Linca shook his head.

"Nah. They all nice, but none here I want."
word count: 435

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”