Fish for your life - Part. V

Ciara and Mute help Em catch Mergantics

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Ghoul, Vorpal

Emerit
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Fisher(wo)man
Renown: +10
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Fish for your life - Part. V

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 am

57th Ymiden, 718th Arc

After the past few hunts, Emerit did not expect this one to be anything like the others. Adventure? Pah! Injuries? Unless a sailor would get knocked over and off board with blasting hangover, unlikely. So stretching on the deck, Emerit took in a lung full of air. The pregnant clouds above as they rolled across the sun cut the heat slightly so it did not fill her lungs like the stuffy air of a tavern. It was safer to be outside these trials and Emerit took the advantage especially out on the sea.

Around her the crew moved here and there. By now, she got to know a few and heck were they a random bunch. But despite their differences, they all had a knack for drink, sleezy jokes and feck all regard for women. Like who would openly piss into the water in front of a woman? Emerit was no lady, but sheesh that was low even for her. The scientist clear had f all idea about how to hire a crew. So did Em to be fair.

But all would be well as she was nearly done with the job and this beauty of a boat would be hers. What now? Did she hear someone say loan? That’d take care of itself… Because right then, she had better things to think about. For example, the excitement that she could now host people in her floating home! Without them having to cramp on the floor, but each with their own neat cabin. Wherever Ciara or Mute were, Emerit knew they were somewhere onboard. She'd like to think... Unless Mute stumbled overboard and Em picked up a different redhead in the tavern last night. Oh well, all shall be revealed in due course.

Walking to a side, the fisherwoman looked across the sea, seeing the marks bopping on the waves where she dropped the traps. Even nets were ready for the catch on the deck. What a shame the scientist did not join them today. She kinda missed his smartass walking around with confidence. In fact, she wanted another show down where he’d tangle himself in the nets, flails and fall lack a sack of potatoes when the boat mounted a wave. Giggling, the imagine of the past stark in her mind, the flailing and a thud resonating in her ears as if it was happening again. Bloody scientists. They truly were not sea born.
word count: 427
Mute
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Re: Fish for your life - Part. V

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:39 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."

I sat alone in the small cabin I had been provided, cross-legged and with my eyes closed. Emerit's new ship was much larger than her old one, but it came with a larger crew that were constantly moving about topside. They were the rough sort of sailors, the ones that didn't appreciated men like me standing around in their way. I used their contempt as a valid excuse to stay in my room, because truth be told it was valid. I offered little to this entire expedition beyond a familiar face to Em, so I could not fault the crew their skepticism. Still, the red-headed captain appreciated my company, and that was the only approval I needed. So I sat.

I felt the ship rock beneath me with each stray wave that pressed against its shaped wood. This trip posed a new challenge to my attempts at meditation. Up until this point, I had only ever tried on land, so the shifting floor beneath me confused my mind’s attempt to clear itself. Thus, I tried a different approach. Instead of an emptiness, I imagined a pendulum swinging back and forth at the same speed and intensity of the swaying boat. Instead of resisting the involuntary motion, I channeled it into the practice itself. Left. Right. It was different than my usual mediation. Usually, I was so intent on quelling my many thoughts to focus on a single idea; now, however, I allowed them all to circulate in the orbit of my never-ceasing dial. It allowed me to pass the time and ignore my restlessness.

Alas, I could not stow away forever. Emerit had said they would reach the traps to-trial; it would do no good if I was below deck when the first of them were checked. Sighing, I pushed myself to my feet, steadying my stiff legs for a moment before I exited my cabin. Spotting no one I recognized in the hold, I made my way topside.

Emerit was standing alone looking over the railing so I made my way to her side. A slight nod was the only greeting I felt was necessary. Truth be told, the woman didn't seem to expect a lot from me, which was a pleasant change from his usually hectic days. As a courier and a curious soul, I had grown used to always being on the move. But it seemed the only running Em ever did was with her mouth, which suited me too. That too was a surprise. I didn't often feel this way about another person. It wasn't attraction or even affection. At best, it was contentment.

And that was a dangerous state of mind.
Last edited by Mute on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 458
Emerit
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:24 pm

She looked up at Mute when he approached, reciprocating that nod since they didn't seem to need words to communicate...most of the times. That silence they shared was unusual to Emerit to say the least. And she couldn't usually bear it for long. For the Biqaj woman, there were times and for quiet. Those were generally in her cabin...with her asleep.

"I laid a few. So hopefully any of them will bear some catch." She said, giving her tongue a break from the usual slur. That sober image of proper language suited her still. It took away some of that wildness earned by arcs. The air of solemnity wrapped around her for a moment as she looked back over the water that gently and quietly swirled around them. After all, Emerit was not a drunk. She liked good meed but did not over-indulge it all the time either.

Then silence reigned again and it poked at her from every side. Like prickly nose of shimfins that wanted to play. Yet, even with all the marine sounds, the crew moving about, she felt she was going deaf. And damn right that'd be the last thing she would ever do. So she turned and twisted that her his was leaning against the railing, arms crossed under her humble bust. She looked up at this weird man who somehow became her companion even if he was to be temporary. They all were after all.

"Have you always been this quiet?" By now, Em suspected or perhaps knew that this lanky white face was not able to speak. But she wanted a big fat fact she could point her finger at. Put it up for everybody to see that they did not speak not because they didn't want to, but because they couldn't. Because the idea of having nothing to say...horrified her.
word count: 325
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:07 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."

Emerit mirrored my greeting as I drew up beside her beside the ship's railing. It seemed a fitting spot for the woman there, staring out to the seemingly endless waters surrounding us. It spoke of an adventurous, curious spirit always seeking what could be found on the edge of that horizon. I myself didn't share in those same sentiments, at least not in the same way. I was a cautious soul, calculating, considering each move before performing them. But not Em; she only considered things through retrospective lenses, and even then it more free with her thoughts on the matter. We were, I thought not for the first time, opposites. And yet we still found a sort of comfort in one another's company despite our differences.

I still could not decide whether that was a good thing or not

The woman informed me of the traps bobbing in our field of vision, marking their location for us. She spoke with a clarity quite unlike the first time she and I met. I had thought, then, that the slurring was a mark of her upbringing, a dialect with slang developed in isolation from more common vernacular, but I realize that I may have been a bit presumptuous. Perhaps it had been little more than a consequence of the alcohol she had been imbibing prior to my arrival that night. Though, I thought as I gazed out across the water, she was making a conscious effort to hide the accent, though I couldn't imagine why she'd feel the need. Individuality was a boon, not a curse, in my book.

Emerit asked the question that I was surprised she hadn't asked already given her appreciation for the spoken word. Breaking my observation of the traps, I looked back at the woman and shook my head. I offered the woman a small smile to let her know that she had not offended me with the question, if she was even worried about that in the first place. It was an inquiry I expected from everyone at some point and only felt real disrespect when someone asked about it sardonically.

Placing my hands on the railing, I leaned forward and continued to look out on the water, wondering what Emerit would offer in response. I knew she'd find something to say.
word count: 395
Emerit
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 pm

A man who has not always been silent. A puzzle for sure. One that confused her as the answer was given. So she tilted her head and looked at him in a new light. Physical and otherwise. It was curious and studying gentle stare as the sun pressed into both of them. Many things could make one lose words, make them speechless. Less of those would cause an adult to choose to never speak again.

“What happened?” She couldn't help but ask. She could also hardly be blamed because if ever she had a sixth sense for stories, Emerit was sure that there was one to be heard. But would she get a story she could hear? She doubted it. Hope was fragile then and who knew if it would survive the following moments.

But why would he be driven to such a decision? What could have been the ultimate reason? Or...something even worse. Was his tongue taken? His talking box ripped out of his throat?

Anything that would go through her mind would be a horror-filled scenario of torture, agony and gore. She could not imagine beauty having ever done this harm to anyone. At least, she’s never suffered it and she sure has seen some amazing wonders. So whatever caused this must have been hideous.

Then as if to gently caress the one who might have been a victim of a crime and the curious soul of a Biqaj, the wind lazily rolled around them once. The salty air filling their lungs, cooling the skin ever so slightly. The gossamer fiery strands tickled her cheeks, loose from behind the pointy ear but she paid them no attention. She was used to those tiny distractions til they were distractions no more. Yet for a moment, for an inexplicable reason, nostalgia stabbed at her heart like a knife plunged in deep. This was to remind her of something. Not a deja vu, but...she couldn't tell for the punch in the gut was already slowly receding. Yet it strengthened her desire to understand this man, his situation and perhaps for the first time...get to know him.
word count: 370
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:25 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."

There were certain answers to questions asked of me that went beyond my ability to answer without the aid of common sign. Not that I felt the language would be of any use in this conversation; In all the time that I had known her, Emerit had shown no understanding of it. Thus, I was forced to improvise. A few trills of glancing around the deck yielded little in terms of useful reference point. None of the sailors provided any help either, and I was getting desperate. Finally, I gestured towards the one thing that I thought might be a clear answer to the woman.

Her crotch.

It was embarrassing to have to do it, but there wasn't anything else aboard that could symbolize birth. At least not without some heavy poetics, that is. Following the gesture, I bent down and held an open palm above the deck about knee level. Hopefully those two coupled together would answer the question clearly for Emerit; I didn't really want to try and explain myself with more obscene gestures if I could help it.

After this, I stared out over the deck once more. The first trap was so close that I felt like I could reach out over the railing and snatch it out of the water. Of course, that was just angles playing tricks on my eyes, so I forwent the impulse. To-trial was not a trial for taking a dip in the ocean.
word count: 248

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”