Fish for your life - Part. V

Ciara and Mute help Em catch Mergantics

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Vorpal, Ghoul

Emerit
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Fisher(wo)man
Renown: +10
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 am

57th Ymiden, 718th Arc

After the past few hunts, Emerit did not expect this one to be anything like the others. Adventure? Pah! Injuries? Unless a sailor would get knocked over and off board with blasting hangover, unlikely. So stretching on the deck, Emerit took in a lung full of air. The pregnant clouds above as they rolled across the sun cut the heat slightly so it did not fill her lungs like the stuffy air of a tavern. It was safer to be outside these trials and Emerit took the advantage especially out on the sea.

Around her the crew moved here and there. By now, she got to know a few and heck were they a random bunch. But despite their differences, they all had a knack for drink, sleezy jokes and feck all regard for women. Like who would openly piss into the water in front of a woman? Emerit was no lady, but sheesh that was low even for her. The scientist clear had f all idea about how to hire a crew. So did Em to be fair.

But all would be well as she was nearly done with the job and this beauty of a boat would be hers. What now? Did she hear someone say loan? That’d take care of itself… Because right then, she had better things to think about. For example, the excitement that she could now host people in her floating home! Without them having to cramp on the floor, but each with their own neat cabin. Wherever Ciara or Mute were, Emerit knew they were somewhere onboard. She'd like to think... Unless Mute stumbled overboard and Em picked up a different redhead in the tavern last night. Oh well, all shall be revealed in due course.

Walking to a side, the fisherwoman looked across the sea, seeing the marks bopping on the waves where she dropped the traps. Even nets were ready for the catch on the deck. What a shame the scientist did not join them today. She kinda missed his smartass walking around with confidence. In fact, she wanted another show down where he’d tangle himself in the nets, flails and fall lack a sack of potatoes when the boat mounted a wave. Giggling, the imagine of the past stark in her mind, the flailing and a thud resonating in her ears as if it was happening again. Bloody scientists. They truly were not sea born.
Mute
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:39 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."

I sat alone in the small cabin I had been provided, cross-legged and with my eyes closed. Emerit's new ship was much larger than her old one, but it came with a larger crew that were constantly moving about topside. They were the rough sort of sailors, the ones that didn't appreciated men like me standing around in their way. I used their contempt as a valid excuse to stay in my room, because truth be told it was valid. I offered little to this entire expedition beyond a familiar face to Em, so I could not fault the crew their skepticism. Still, the red-headed captain appreciated my company, and that was the only approval I needed. So I sat.

I felt the ship rock beneath me with each stray wave that pressed against its shaped wood. This trip posed a new challenge to my attempts at meditation. Up until this point, I had only ever tried on land, so the shifting floor beneath me confused my mind’s attempt to clear itself. Thus, I tried a different approach. Instead of an emptiness, I imagined a pendulum swinging back and forth at the same speed and intensity of the swaying boat. Instead of resisting the involuntary motion, I channeled it into the practice itself. Left. Right. It was different than my usual mediation. Usually, I was so intent on quelling my many thoughts to focus on a single idea; now, however, I allowed them all to circulate in the orbit of my never-ceasing dial. It allowed me to pass the time and ignore my restlessness.

Alas, I could not stow away forever. Emerit had said they would reach the traps to-trial; it would do no good if I was below deck when the first of them were checked. Sighing, I pushed myself to my feet, steadying my stiff legs for a moment before I exited my cabin. Spotting no one I recognized in the hold, I made my way topside.

Emerit was standing alone looking over the railing so I made my way to her side. A slight nod was the only greeting I felt was necessary. Truth be told, the woman didn't seem to expect a lot from me, which was a pleasant change from his usually hectic days. As a courier and a curious soul, I had grown used to always being on the move. But it seemed the only running Em ever did was with her mouth, which suited me too. That too was a surprise. I didn't often feel this way about another person. It wasn't attraction or even affection. At best, it was contentment.

And that was a dangerous state of mind.

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”