• Mature • [Seasonal Event] Dark Hearts C: Ice, Ice, Baby

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Ghoul, Vorpal

Pegasus
Storyteller - Staff (TL)
Storyteller - Staff (TL)
Race: Prophet
Profession: Telling Stories!
Renown: -665
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

[Seasonal Event] Dark Hearts C: Ice, Ice, Baby

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:08 pm

81st Ymiden, 718

"Ah, shit, will you just light!!"

That was the cry from Philip Carey. As he saw them coming, he knew that he had to act. There was a fleet of darkness coming to Scalvoris and it was his job to let people know what was happening. That they were being attacked.
"Oh, no.. no no no..."

The flint and tinder fell from his shaking hands as he realised that the fleet of darkness wasn't coming to Scalvoris. It was already here. The creature in front of him, swathed in shadows and bathed in darkness raised a hand and Philip Carey realised that the stars were really beautiful.

And then, as he wondered what that warm red liquid running down from his neck was, Philip Carey realised no more.

No warning flame was lit, yet a flare of bright, incandescent moonlight burst up into the sky. It was the middle of the night when they came. Sliding in on the ink-black water and barely visible. Black wood ships, black sails caressing the Ymiden breeze and their carefully crafted hulls cutting through the water almost silently. They had a number of targets that night, each place they went to they looked for something specific and each member of their crew with the same goal in mind.

No one saw them coming.

Like ink stains in blackness, silently the fleet of ships spread out that night. Three groups of them, three directions. They moved like specters and when they arrived, their crew moved. Dark sails, dark hearts.

Dark deeds.

82nd Ymiden, 718
Three places on Scalvoris were known to have been cut off. Faldrass, Immortals Tongue and Ishallr. Surrounded by black sailed ships and not responding to anything. Ships which had sailed near to them reported that the black sails were there, but there appeared to be no crew, not anywhere in sight. Yet, going near there provoked a feeling of deep unease in those on the water.

The Elements were staging a strike, but they asked for volunteers. Those who would be prepared to work a "stealth" mission. Each group who had signed up was assigned a leader (denoted by a * in the listing) - either a council member or a senior member of the Elements. They would be dropped off and were told, very clearly, that this mission was to help Scalvoris, but that it was likely to be dangerous. There was no intelligence to be gathered, no information which had been found on the black sailed ships, or on the reasons behind them arriving. So their mission was simple.

Get in there under the cover of stealth. Find out what was going on. Report back to the Elements regularly via the Echo Scroll given to the Group Leader and find out what in Idalos is going on.

And so.... that was where they found themselves. This group.
Ishallr

Ice caves in the heat of winter, mysterious portals which had been there forever and perfect statues which, some said, were of people who had once had their souls trapped here. Either way, whatever of the stories were true or false - there was no doubting it. It was bloody freezing.

They arrived at dawn.

Sephira was in charge of this group. They had each been given very limited time to get ready (although cold weather gear was provided) and so they were flown over on large black birds. Sigh they were called and it meant that they were dropped off on the side of the ice-covered island, just west of Gambit's Gate. From there what they did was, of course up to them. There were no indications of the blackship sailors here.

There was no indication of anyone.

OOC Info

! Message from: Pegasus
Welcome to our latest adventure! I hope you enjoy it and have a lot of fun here!
This group consists of:
Sephira ~ Group Leader
Rynata
Rey'na
Erin'ir

One week between mod posts.
I will post again on the 17th June
No posting order. Going with a three strikes and you're out
Please don't control the NPCs.
Have fun!
PM me if there's a question.

Objectives

! Message from: Objectives
As a group you must decide a tactic.
a) What SPEED you are going? (Slow, Medium, Fast)
b) What level of DETECTION (Low, Medium, High) (will impact Speed)
c) What level of CAUTION (low, medium, high) (will impact Speed and Detection)
word count: 755
Sephira
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Flame Element
Renown: +290
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 am

It had been a long night.

Sephira had been woken before dawn in her cottage by a Flame Element runner directly from Deputy Needwell’s office requesting that she head toward Redwood Redoubt immediately. All that the messenger conveyed to her was that she was required immediately to take part in some sort of stealth mission.

The woman had considered it prudent not to wear red, if only for this one occasion.

Instead the mage was garbed in a crisp white blouse that was overlaid with an ornate, angular black leather cuirass. She then borrowed pieces from the ebony leather armor she had worn before in the Scalvoris mountains during Ashan. The clothing was light, efficient and durable. Her saber Wyvern was quickly belted on and the Element also strapped a hidden spring-loaded dagger to her left wrist.

Once leaving her home and making her way over to the Flame Troops command post she was given the absolute worst briefing she had ever heard and was also told that Kura and Amaris were being given the same information. Ships bearing black sails had arrived in the harbor before swiftly blocking off access to Faldrass, Immortal’s Tongue and Ishllar. Instantly Sephira was concerned for her mother’s safety on Faldrass but she was being assigned to the frozen wastes of Ishllar instead. Forcing herself to comply without complaint she was swiftly set on the back of a particularly feisty Sigh and sent toward her destination.

The bird brought her in under the cover of darkness, just before dawn broke. Sephira disembarked as soon as the avian landed in a soft whisper of onyx feathers. Apparently, she was to meet a team of volunteers on the iceberg where they would then begin collecting as much intelligence as was possible.

Sephira found a small stony outcropping that was covered in a thin crust of ice while she waited for the rest of her team to join her. The mage immediately began using Static to distort her Frequency so other mages could not detect her in the future. It took a handful of bits to feed a small amount of ether into her Attunement Spark so she could begin perusing the nearby Frequencies for the Notes associated with Death and Murder. It was the only way she knew of that would allow her to seek out those nearby that might mean her and the rest of her team harm. Those two notes were all that remained of her encounter with Volker. His Frequency had taught them to her, and she would forever remember them.

Eventually other Sighs arrived just asthe Rupturer shut off the flow of ether to her Attunement Spark. Dissipating her use of Compass and Static for the moment. Ether was a precious resource that she did not intend to waste.

Once the team was assembled the Element greeted them all with a firm nod.

“I’m Special Assistant Sephira Blackwood of the Elements.” Sephira said with a grim expression before continuing. “You all know why you are here, you volunteered for this.”

The mage’s eyes grew darker, flickering between onyx and emerald green. “We are here to get information, so my aim is for everyone to come home after this is over and done with.”

Sephira crouched low behind the outcropping, her hand resting with a white knuckled grip on the hilt of her weapon. They were far too exposed here.

“I need to know everyone’s combat proficiency, and if you have every engaged in an operation of this nature before. Also,please let me know if any of you are familiar with this area; a navigator would be helpful.”

The woman was less afraid for herself and more concerned with keeping her team alive. They needed to move slow enough to be careful but fast enough to make meaningful progress. She and her team were on a time table, there was no telling when the situation might change with the ships out in the harbor.

Sephira’s intense gaze met the eyes of each of her teammates one by one. There was real worry and concern there. She would do everything in her power to protect them during this mission, but she was only one person. It was a hard lesson she had been forced to learn in Cylus. She was only one woman, one mage, one Element, so she couldn’t do this alone.

“If at some point this does turn into a fight and you aren’t comfortable in holding your own, I want to get behind me, and run as far and as fast as you can. It’s not cowardice if it’s your life in the balance.”

She meant it, if any of them weren’t ready to engage the enemy in combat then she wanted them to turn and run, even if that meant that she was left behind.

"All that aside we need to get moving, I suggest we move westward and sweep the area for a defensible base of operations where we can continue the investigation."
Off Topic
a) What SPEED you are going? Medium
b) What level of DETECTION Medium
c) What level of CAUTION Medium Compass: Sephira used the Attunement spell Compass to search for Notes associated with Death and Murder. This will allow her to seek out individuals, creatures and past events in the area that are associated with those concepts.

Static: This allows Sephira to use her magic somewhat safe from detection via magic or marks. It should not be considered foolproof, but a fairly solid tactic to obscure the presence of her magic while she is using Static.
Dialogue|Thoughts
word count: 954
Rey'na
Approved Character
Profession: Judge, Jury and Executioner
Renown: +54
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 am

Rey was terrified.

There was no sense in denying it, the girl thought. She was terrified beyond words. Who in their right mind wouldn't be? But Rey'na was a part of the Elements now, a part of something bigger. While she wasn't massively talented with her weapons or abilities, they would have to do. What kind of hero would she be if she let this go on without helping? She didn't need Pier and Pre's input for this one. Whoever had caused this havoc was guilty, and should be ready for their judgement.
As she had arrived, she realized she knew none of the people here - aside from perhaps one. She hadn't been put with Faith, which was probably for the best. But she had been put with the woman that had shown her the elements to begin with. Sephira, her name had been, and it gave Rey'na some level of comfort knowing that someone so competent would be leading the group today.

When Sephira gave her speech, Rey took note of her expression. Truth be told, it pained the girl to see anyone like that. But it was understandable. She was leading what could be an incredibly dangerous mission with people she might not even know. Then came the question of their combat proficiency. Truth be told, Rey wasn't much of a fighter. Not yet at least. Though she intended to become one, it would be difficult for her. It was, after all, her first assignment with the Elements.
"I can fight well enough" the girl spoke, her spear on her back. Windsong had proven to be an incredibly effective weapon for the girl, if anything. Despite her combat lacking, she had the weapon for the job. She hoped that would help at least. "And this is my first mission of this kind."

Rey had, however, brought something she was familiar with. It had been a long time since the girl had allowed herself to use poison, since Lisirra was no longer the immortal she worshiped, or someone she wanted anything to do with. Garrottes Vine Sap, a blood thinner. She'd used many poisons before, though a blood thinner had never been one. She was, however, familiar with weapon smears - having used a sleep agent many times.
With the vial of poison carefully resting in the pocket of her warm coat, the girl waited for Sephira to be finished talking and nodded at the idea of getting moving and setting up a base. Rey had a lot of trust in Sephira and planned on showing that as often as she could. After all, on a mission like this showing support was necessary and appreciated, she imagined.

Once Sephira had finished telling everyone their plan, Rey approached her with a comforting glance. "If there is anything I can do for you, me and my spear are yours" she reassured.

► Show Spoiler
word count: 508
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: +210
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:08 am

Rynata had seen the black sailed ships. They had gathered around parts of scalvoris like an ominous blockade. Her fellow seafarers were in an anxious buzz, all pointing out that somehow, the dark sails were all wrong. Trying to get near them was like being cursed. Rynata had felt it too. Worriedly drifting in the distance, every fiber of her being had begged for her to turn back turn back turn back. Still, when the Elements once again called for volunteers, she had stepped forward readily enough. She was concerned for those who had fallen silent in the cut off areas. Who knew what was happening on those isles? Besides, these were Scalveen waters. Her waters. The dark ships could not expect to forever keep away and impede those of the sea. One way or another, the waterways would be clear once more.

Her assigned flight to Ishallr on one of the great, black birds would have been an enjoyable experience had it not been for such serious matters. In the darkness, what little she could feel was the crisp air whistling by her ears. All that was between her and the bleak abyss of the sea was her feathery mount. As it was, she had been briefed by the Elements on whatever little information they could gather and had been provided with appropriately camouflaged weather gear. Even though the strange feather in her hair seemed to keep her from feeling the cold, she’d found no reason to be any less prepared than possible. The rest of what she had with her was things she had grabbed from her own ship. Weapons consisting of her dagger, several throwing knives, a map, and some personal navigation tools. She had been told that communication would be handled by the group leader using something called echo scrolls. Near instant communication with the main isle was a relief, considering what was to come. Alighting on the icy ground, Rynata quietly joined the group gathered there.

There was at least one familiar face among them. Sephira. Rynata flashed a brief smile at the woman, even through the serious air permeating around them. They had been a capable companion throughout their latest and only joint mission, and she was glad to have them here, magic or no.

“Rynata,” she introduced briefly, tipping her head toward the two strangers. She slipped her dagger out of its sheath slightly to indicate her weapon of choice, but shook her head slightly. “Bare minimum experience, I’m afraid. I’ll have to trust the combat veterans if things go sour. And I haven’t exactly done this sort of thing, but” she turned to Sephira thinking back to their experience in Ashan. “I’ve volunteered for the Elements before.”

Taking note of the tense mood everyone was in, Rynata glanced around the area. They needed to be cautious but decisive and quick. A difficult balance, only slightly alleviated by the fact that they were a relatively small team. Sephira was right. No time like the present.

“I’m not familiar with the island itself, but I’ve sailed around it plenty of times and I have the eye for it,” Rynata offered in response to the leader’s call for a navigator. “If there’s no one else, I can take up that role. Oh, and there’s supposed to be an expedition here, yes?” she added. The briefing had given her that much. “Shall we try to rendezvous with them after we clear the area to the west? They may need help and they’re probably more informed as to the situation.”

If they were safe, that is.
Off Topic
I also say medium all.
word count: 624
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Profession: Student
Renown: +65
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes

Miscellaneous

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:17 pm

As he touched down, Hookor swallowed hard.

ooone....twwwooo...thrrreeee...

He always counted when he was nervous. He had doubts mere moments after signing up for this...mission as it were. You are helping your community they said. You'll be a hero they said. Helping he was good at, heroics??? not so much. But, regardless, he was here now.

The cold was considerable, and his teeth chattered like a woodpecker on the pine. Stepping up a slight incline, Crook made his way to the group of people, presumably those he would assist. He recognized two of them, Sephira and Rynata. Rynata he had met quite a few times now, and Sephira he had been recently with on a little adventure around the Sweetwine. The young half-eidisi nodded to Rynata as he passed her, then he extended his shivering hand to Sephira, nodding to her in recognition as well.

"Another adventure, perhaps."
he said, trying to make light, though he quickly realized the situation did not call for such. His mind moved to the numbers again, but he caught himself, and straightened despite the cold.

"My skill is in research, and medicine."
he offered. "I have sailed many times, as a passenger, but never a sailor." he added. Hookor reached reflexively for his dagger, concealed beneath his long coat.

"I am without skill in any weapon, but i did bring with me a small blade for defense."
he admitted. Hookor didn't even bother to see if the others found his words unnerving or distasteful. He might not be a soldier or warrior, but he had other assets that the group could use...surely. Crook said little more at the time, but fell in line and followed close behind Sephira, watching and waiting to see if any plan was to formulate for them to follow...
Off Topic
Hello, sorry late to the game. I agree with Sephira, medium for all
word count: 327
Toraj
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Amnesiac
Renown: +75
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:41 am

Clear blue eyes were open wide and studying their surroundings carefully as their bearer shuddered behind the heavy attire he'd been provided before setting out. There was genuine confusion playing visibly on his face with the slack jaw for emphasis as he seemed entranced with every one of his steamy breaths, rolling past pale and trembling lips.

In truth, he had no recollection of this place, nor the faces that surrounded him. Some time ago, he'd awoken as if stepping out of a thick fog for the first time and setting his eyes upon the world, letting his body carry him forward and trusting that it knew the way---perhaps ironically, it's what had lead him here. A series of events had unfolded since his awakening that he couldn't narrate cohesively if he tried, the images of which flashed quickly through his mind---the strangely familiar wisps of darkness encroaching on the coasts, instilling the populace with a strange and unfamiliar fear and uncertainty. He knew darkness well enough. The more he tried to dig, it seemed his mind was wrapped up in nothing but, all thoughts and memories cloaked in shadows so impenetrable it resisted his every approach and made his stomach churn from the attempt.

His lips tightened, shoulders squaring around his neck as he fought down an uneasy belch. Snapping himself out of his faraway thoughts, he blinked and turned his attention forward as Sephira Blackwood, as she called herself, was introduced. He didn't know this woman, nor did he know any of the others who'd answered the call for volunteers. This place was, likewise, unfamiliar---but no more unfamiliar than Scalvoris as a whole, he'd come to realize. It was no more intimidating than the place he'd just departed, aside from the cold that bit into every part of his body, just barely held at bay by the cold weather attire he'd lent before he was flown out here. Now, that was a sensation he'd need to ruminate over, but... Slamming a fist against is sternum, he summoned focus, dismissing the thought a final time.

A clear obstacle was showing itself already---communication. Though he understood most of what was said, he came to realize quickly that he was only vaguely familiar with the tongue spoken by the rest of the group. His lips curled, tongue rolling uneasily and pressing against his teeth as he toyed with the sounds in his head and engaged with translation, processing the information as quickly as he was able. "Do not know," he said, trailing in at the tail end of the shy conversation between his newfound companions. "Not this place, not you. No fight, no. No missions." Pausing, his brow furrowed heavily. "Sorry."

He didn't know what he could really provide. When the call for volunteers had gone out, he'd moved without thinking, spoken without realizing and now, here he was. He couldn't stand idly by, or so he presumed... he couldn't really defend his intentions if he didn't truly understand them.

Off Topic
All MEDIUM from me as well.
word count: 525
Pegasus
Storyteller - Staff (TL)
Storyteller - Staff (TL)
Race: Prophet
Profession: Telling Stories!
Renown: -665
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:28 pm

She can kill with a smile, she can wound with her eyes
She can ruin your faith with her casual lies
And she only reveals what she wants you to see
She hides like a child, but she's always a woman to me
Raven liked it here. It was cold and crisp and she knew, she knew that there would be wonders. There was going to be no hiding their trail, she knew and she had known since they had been assigned their roles. After all, this place was snow and ice everywhere and hiding their tracks in that would be difficult and too time consuming for what they had to do.

So, she had decided that she would help those people who would undoubtedly follow her. Come with the aim of saving the trial and doing the right thing. Fools and aberrations all of them, wastes of flesh and bone. Although flesh and bone had its uses and so she glanced around. "Pet. Come here to me, my pet." The slave was shivering from head to foot and Raven looked at him appreciatively. He was starving, weak and almost dead. Covered in the bruises and brands of her care for him. "Does it make your feet feel better?" Raven asked, leaning forward and kissing him. He returned the kiss, of course and immediately, his hands moving to her. He had to pleasure her, please her or she would be angry. "Down, pet. We don't have time. Answer me,"

"Yes, mistress," he whispered and she smiled. "Thank you, mistress."

But, as was always the way with Raven and her appetites, it wasn't enough.

Taking her pets hand, she sliced a deep cut down his forearm and then they continued to walk. The trail of blood was obvious but would, eventually, trickle down into almost nothing as the blood clotted. Raven didn't want that, it looked pretty. "It's like roses on white lace, isn't it, Pet?" she asked and he nodded. "Yes mistress." When he wasn't bleeding enough any more in that arm, she sliced his other arm, then his thigh. When he fell before she got to slice his second thigh, she carved a bird into his chest and walked away.

Turning to the next slave, a female, she smiled. "Pet" her voice was low and gentle and kind. "Come to me, my pet,"

And so, she left a trail.

82nd Ymiden, 718

And so, the group landed and Sehira first got to know her team, found out their skills and strengths and so on, then decided that they would proceed with a balanced approach in all areas. She was clear about her directives and her determination that they should not die. They were going west, in the first instance. As she used her magic, she heard the deep, resonant sound of death. Like a single bell. And then, after a brief pause, all around her.

Rey'na spoke simply and gave her experience, her voice clear and then she determined that she would be there, her spear was Sephira's. Rynata too, introduced herself and she made some good suggestions, too - her knowledge of the place might well be useful in this endeavor. Hookor, too, spoke of his skills and whilst they could hope that they wouldn't need a medic, having one might be the difference between success and failure for this mission - they all knew it.

And then, there was the last of their group. Unaware of his name, unaware of his skills or himself, he spoke honestly and truthfully, telling them what he knew of himself - which was practically nothing. Yet, Eren'ir had a strange sense of vague familiarity about this place. Nothing specific, just... vaguely there. Probably nothing.

And so, they moved. And as the light of dawn landed on them, their long journey began. Within a half break, they found the first tracks. They were obvious and would have been very difficult to hide. None of them were hunters or trackers by trade and so, they noticed only what seemed to be bits of charred fabric in the snow.

Then, the blood started. A constant stream, side by side with bare footprints, and always the bare feet which had those strange, burned fabric pieces in them. At first, it was a steady stream and then, it petered out - before starting again. Eventually, assuming that they followed the trail, after a half break walk, heading towards the very expedition that Rynata had told them of, they found the first body. It was the body of a slave, no doubt, for he had been branded in many, many places. His had been the blood and, the fresh brands on the soles of his feet had provided the charred "fabric" as his burnt flesh had pulled away in the ice. On his chest was carved a crude bird

As they saw him, Eren'ir had a moment. Just a flash of recognition. Of sitting opposite this man, chained and cramped. Of looking at him as he was taken away to... but to where, Eren'ir did not know.

A fresh trail of blood started a few feet ahead.

Consequences This Round!

Positive
Moderation in Everything! Unlocked: You chose the tactic of balance. Positive consequence!
Taking Charge! Unlocked: Sephira stepped up to the role of leader. Plot point at the end!
Team Player! Unlocked: All pcs have shown themselves as team players. Positive consequence!
Good Suggestions! Unlocked: Rynata made sensible points. Positive consequence!

Map

Map of Ishallr
► Show Spoiler

NPC

Your opponent is: Raveni
At the moment, you know the following about her:
  • She is not a very nice woman
  • She likes to torture people over a long period of time

OOC Info

! Message from: Pegasus
I will post again on the 24th June
No posting order. Going with a three strikes and you're out
Please don't control the NPCs.
Have fun!
PM me if there's a question.

Objectives

! Message from: Group Objectives
You each have six points to spend, individually. You must decide how your pc is going to spend them. Please be clear in your post what you are doing. More than one pc may perform the same action - and it might lead to different clues! Please note - this a must do objective.
ActionCost
Investigate the murdered man briefly (not including the bird scar) 2
Investigate the murdered man thoroughly (not including the bird scar) 3
Investigate the place he died briefly 3
Investigate the place he died thoroughly4
Explore the nearby area 3
Check out the bird scar briefly 2
Check out the bird scar thoroughly 6
Look for more obscure / less obvious tracks 3
Look for clues outside the immediate area 3
 ! Message from: Individual Objectives
Please note: These are can do objectives.
Sephire: Use the words: bane, brandish, banana and baseline in your next post
Rey'na: Make your next post 500 words or less
Rynata: Use the phrase "when playing the banjo, you have to tune your instrument first" in your next post in a way that makes sense.
Hookor: In your next post, show someone your tail..... (forgive me, I can not resist)
Eren'ir: Ask an entirely inappropriate question of another pc.
word count: 1257
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Profession: Student
Renown: +65
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes

Miscellaneous

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Hookor looked down at the scene before them with a fair bit of apprehension. It was a murder scene. He began to recall the words of Aaron Shelby, one of his mentors from his brief time here in Scalvoris.

There are secrets within every corpse, he would warn when they would examine cadavers during pathology class. Hookor nodded to himself, as he recalled the words of wisdom. Crook knelt down by the body of the slave. Despite his long coat, he could feel the cold air hit his lower back. Though at the moment he did not realize it, he had revealed to whomever was behind him, that he had a small sprout of a tail.

Provided none of his companions stopped him, or mocked him, the medical student and researcher continued on in blissful ignorance, beginning to examine the body closely. He attempted to take note, both mentally and in his journal, of the injuries to the body, how they might have occurred, and any other characteristics revealed. Crook would attempt to determine, through the degree of rigor mortis, how long ago the slave had died. Finally, he would spend as much time as needed to examine thoroughly the bird shaped scar on the slave. Then, after drawing a copy of the pattern into his journal, the half-eidisi would rise, and feel his long coat come down over his exposed tail. If his blue skin could turn red, it would have with embarrassment. Purple perhaps. He reflexively reached for his gluteal cleft, and confirmed his fear.

One...two...three...four...

Hookor shook his head, trying to shake off the irritation he now felt. He reached inside his small pack, and pulled out his Cavani's Cloak. It was an item he had picked up during his last "adventure". After trying it on a few times, the young medic knew it would not only provide cover for his "tail" but also some warmth in the frigid place they now found themselves. Once covered, Crook relayed the details of his inspections to the rest of the group.
word count: 354
Rey'na
Approved Character
Profession: Judge, Jury and Executioner
Renown: +54
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 pm

"Holy shit..."

When Rey'na saw the body, her eyes widened a little as an image flashed to her head. Rynmere, 717, Cylus - the 6th specifically. A man and woman lost in the woods, looking for a medic, when Rey'na showed up. Both found themselves knocked out and before they knew it, Masque had appeared, Rey's identity when killing. Nerve enhancer was poured down the mans chest before a deep cut slashed down him, causing a scream of pain.
When Rey snapped out of it, her eyes teared up a little. Glancing aside in the hope nobody noticed, the girl wiped her eyes before looking at the area around. "I'll look around, see what I can find" she muttered, before turning her back to the body. It had been a long time, a very long time, since she'd remembered that day so vividly. How Lisirra had shown up and praised her, encouraged her to kill. As Rey walked away, her fist clenched with a hatred.

As she looked around, Rey searched for whatever she could find away from the body. Fighting through the distraction she felt, the voice she heard. Lisirra's whispers in her head. She knew it was all in her head, she knew it. Moseke had given her the artifact, the piece of her staff was resting in her pocket as she stood there, ready to go off if a single Plague-bearer came by to alert her - or even Lisirra herself. Nobody would harm her in that Immortals name, she knew it. Nobody would try and take her away.
As for whoever did this, they were going to wish they hadn't. Rey had a strict order to follow when she agreed to work for Pier and Pre, and that was to judge. Judge those who commit crimes. This person, whoever they were, had already been judged. Slaughtering people, leaving marks on their body - there was only one punishment for that.

Cautiously, Rey looked around the area, checking for tracks or any clues she could find.

► Show Spoiler
word count: 376
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: +210
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Rynata nodded back a greeting to Hookor as they set off, but hesitated a little at the silver haired newcomer. The man looked dazed and freezing. As he spoke, she realized that language barrier was going to be a problem as well. Effective communication between the group was going to be key and it was a little worrying that this wasn't a guarantee for them. What were the Elements thinking to send such a vulnerable player into this high stakes mission? Still, she shouldn't be the one to make flash judgments. Perhaps he had some valuable skills that the coordinators thought would benefit them.

"What's your name?" Rynata asked him when they came side by side. At least she would have something to shout if there was any need to alert him to danger. "You look cold," she added, glancing over his pale features and colorless lips. "Here. I'll lend you this. It will help keep you warm." Removing the speckled feather from her hair Rynata held it out to him. Almost instantly, the bitter wind seemed to sharpen its fangs against her exposed skin. "It's like they say, when playing the banjo, you have to tune your instrument first. In this case, the banjo being your physical performance and the tuning being the temperature. Oh..." She had been trying to restrain her usual manner of speech in order to communicate better, but that strain had somehow exploded into a game of words that even fluent speakers of Common would have trouble following. "I mean," she fumbled, "it's good for you."

Navigating across the icy ground, the group soon came upon trails of blood. Rynata frowned in concern but fleetingly thought that the blood against the white ground looked almost cheery, like some exotic dye from far off lands. Pushing the eerily conflicting thought out of her head, she trekked on with her companions until the body came into view.

Rynata clamped her mouth shut and looked solemnly at the bruised, battered, and maimed body of what seemed to be a slave. There was nothing to be said. The trail they had been following, had been the result of this man's tortured march toward death. How had such a thing happened? Another bright patch of ruby red a few paces in front of them caused her eyes to widen.

Hesitantly looking over Hookor's shoulder as he performed an informed examination of the poor man, Rynata briefly glanced at the symbol carved into the body's chest. Aside from some of the older markings, a crude shape of a bird was still oozing a little blood.

Trusting the medical student with a good analysis, Rynata turned her attention to the area where the man had expired. All these injuries meant someone else had to have been at the scene. Then it was possible that they had left something informative behind. Perhaps, even in the most desperate of circumstances, the dead man had left something that would be of use to them.

"I'll mark the spot, yes?" Rynata finally spoke. "We should come back for the body when things are settled."
► Show Spoiler
word count: 557

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”