[Scalvoris Mountains] Unfamiliar Steps.

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Ghoul, Vorpal

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +360
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 pm

1st Trial of Cylus during Arc 718
Damnit but it was cold. Vega didn't know whether it was safer when she was cold, but she could only assume that it was and so, she decided, she was going to embrace the cold. Endure the cold. "Love the cold, that's the answer, innit? A'right. Love the cold. Who needs fingers any'ow?" She grumbled to herself and looked at the Scalvoris mountains in front of her. They were impossibly high, incredibly lonely-looking and she sighed. Arlo would be back at the Wanderlust by now. Her leaving the bracelet would hurt him, she knew it would, but she had to hurt him a little or a lot and she had no hesitation about that choice. Anything else was stupid and selfish and Vega wasn't doing that. Nope. Not her, not with him.

"Have you ever considered," Iris said, her familiar's voice the familiar caustic tone. "That as an autonomous human being with the right to self determination, perhaps Arlo would like to make that decision himself?" Vega looked at the rocky outcrop that she was about to start to climb and she smiled to herself, to Iris, really. Then, she started the ascent, turning her feet carefully as she began to walk, making sure that she had the best foothold and grabbing on to things nearby when she could.

She walked that way until she was tired and then she kept walking. "Thing is, Xiur, I don't know what I'm doin' an' I understand what KnowItAll Mc Feathers is sayin', but my Papa always told me. If I don't understand somethin', take it back to the basics. To where I do understand," That was indeed what her father told her and her basics here were simple. If she didn't take control of this situation, Arlo wouldn't let her leave. He'd follow her or something. Every inch of Vega itched and she just couldn't allow herself to stop. So, she was tired and her feet ached, her legs felt like lead and she was more than exhausted. She couldn't stop, though, because then those aches and pains would lessen and the itching and feeling like she was crawling out of her skin would take over.

It took all her self control not to scratch, but she figured that as time went on she'd probably not be able to help it - if it didn't get better, that was. But it was going to get better.

"The thing is, Xiur," she said, shouldering her back and walking. "I don't know 'ow else to protect him. I mean, he's right stubborn he is. He won't listen, an' if I tell 'im, he's gonna get all stupid an' stubborn an' tell me that there's nothin' we can't fix together. But there is." This. Her. They couldn't and she wouldn't let him be part of it. What if, by her choices, he got hurt? Vega knew that it was a real possibility and she swallowed against the sudden hard lump in her throat. Losing concentration she slipped on the icy ground just missing her footing a little. Small stones tumbled down as she scrambled to get her balance and Vega tried not to allow her emotions to overtake her. "It's like that stupid Geoupagus an' his... his.. damnit." There was no point to crying, she knew, no point at all and yet at the thought of the stupid story he'd told her, hot tears fell down her cheeks.

She'd had a plan for that story, after all. That, when her reading and writing were good enough, she was going to write it down for him. As a surprise, as a gift. Scratching her arm, Vega wanted to howl in frustration and fury and pain and she knew that she had to do something. Anything.

The question, of course, was what.

638 words
Climbing: Slipping on ice and stones
Climbing: Mountains have many hidden obstacles
Last edited by Vega on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:17 am

She had to get a grip, she knew. Her emotions were turbulent like the oceans in a storm and waves of anger and fear and distress beat against her, but mostly she just wanted to turn around and run back to him. Run, as though she could outrun the creature within her. Yet, she knew that she could not and so her only option was to keep going. If she faltered now, if she was weak now and gave in to what she wanted, what she needed, then she might just end up hurting him. Vega couldn't, simply could not allow that to happen. Yet, all she felt was the constant itching of the thing under her skin, the as yet imagined whisperings of the voices. But no, it was time to try again, she knew it was.

So, Vega picked a spot. It was a rocky outcrop, a place with limited trees and where the snow was heavy and so any fire she created wouldn't start a blaze or any such. She sat, cross legged, on the floor after she had undone her sword belt and laid it down in front of her. Straightening her back, she closed her eyes and relaxed. Clearing her mind as much as she could, Vega took a deep inward breath and took hold of her sword.

And they fell in on her.
"Half a person"
"Not good enough, not for him..."
"Killed your mother, think you won't kill him? He's just a boy"
"Stupid girl, stupid, stupid girl, why would anyone worry?"
"Eva, don't listen to them,"
The last voice, smoother than the others was also louder and Vega spoke to it. "I need to talk. You need to be quiet. Please." She could feel her heart beating harder, her fears building and being heard. Heard by the creature inside her, the one who spoke to her. The other voices, they were the people it had killed, she knew that. It had devoured them and now they lived in pain and screams and more than anything Vega wanted it to stop. Breathing, she had to breathe. She knew that. Breathe, Vega.
"Do you miss him? He doesn't know you've gone, he hasn't noticed. He's not home"
"Silver blood, changing eyes, half a sev'ryn Eva cries"
"You'll be with us, you're too weak, too weak. Never achieved anything alone, why start now?"
"Maybe there'll be written instructions for how to get free?"
"Listen to me. You and I will be together and I will stop them. You want me to stop them, don't you? "
"Nah, it's nice for it not to be quiet. It's alright. I'm winning. Look. Look! It's going back, the glow is retreating, I'm makin' it retreat." She heard her voice shake as she said that, heard the desperation in her tone. She wasn't, she knew it.
"Maybe he's with someone clever, someone beautiful"
"She was the only person he's ever loved. You killed her. How can he love you?"
"Nothing, nothing of yours. When you're one of us, in here, you'll be the quiet one. The silent one. Worthless"
"It was rash, Eva. Rash and foolish and now you've hurt them all"
"Do you think he was relieved when he saw the bracelet? I bet he was.."
"Now you can't use your sword, you're nothing. Nothing. No one. "
"Easy. You're easy. Human's whore, that's what he called you."
"It isn't. It won't. You aren't strong enough, Eva. Join us. Join us and I will teach you wonders. Look."
There, on her her sword, swam words. Words which she could read. She looked down at the words swimming there and Vega gasped. "I dunno 'ow to join you. Please. You need to go, I need you to go."

"I'm the only one, Eva. The only one who will never leave you.
Hold it.
Hold the sword and become one of us.
Become.
One... of...
...us"
With a scream of pure frustration, Vega dropped the sword as the flames licked up her arm and she sat on the frozen ground and sobbed.

682 words
Discipline: Keeping your own voice in the cacophany
Meditation: Achieving a state of calm, even when in fear
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Sitting on the ground, Vega knew that she had to get a grip on this. Had to beat it. Because it was so strong and getting stronger and faster, it was making her afraid and she was approaching it in fear. That wasn't good, that was never good, but beating that fear was something which she felt increasingly unable to do. "A'right, well this is bloody silly, this is. I mean, my imaginary voices are makin' me cry. I've already been consumed," she said, standing up with a look on her face which Arlo would recognise and then some, had he been here. "Consumed by the spirit of the Great Wussie. Enough. Don't fret, Xiur, I'll shake it out."

Shake it out?

That was it. That was what she would do, Vega realised. She would shake it out. With a grin to herself she muttered, "time to shake a tail feather, I reckon." It was an arc ago, almost exactly, during Cylus in Desnind where Vega had persuaded and cajoled Arlo into going to a dancing lesson. They'd had such a lot of fun that trial and Vega knew that the best thing to combat fear was laughter. They had laughed so much that trial and Vega hoped that she could re-invent that now. So, she cast her memory back to that time in Desnind and Vega moved over to an area where there was some shelter and the ground was not as slippery as everywhere else. Crunching ice underfoot, she walked around, first, preparing the spot and then she looked at the space.

Clearing her head of the worries, of the concerns and fears which bound her, Vega breathed in and closed her eyes. Nights on her father's ship, on beaches, all of her life the night time had been filled with story and song and she could hear the sounds, smell the ocean air and taste the salty water. For the first time since this whole thing had started, Vega smiled and she began to dance. In Desnind, they had danced to drums and it was those that she concentrated on, but the dance here was like the biqaj dances of her childhood. Stamping and clapping out the beat helped, she knew, and Vega allowed herself to simply move in rhythmic circles, each step on the beat and turning first in one direction, then another. As she did that, she clapped her hands together in front of her ankles, bending low and then lifting and clapping in front of her stomach and finally, on the third beat, above her head. Simple moves, intended to warm her up and get her mentally prepared also.

Then, Vega started to dance. She had no shame or concern about such things, she'd be as comfortable doing this in front of a room full of people as she was dancing alone and without music in the mountains. Once, on a beach where a number of clans had met, Vega had watched a biqaj woman dancing and her movements had been fluid and graceful. Like she was so in touch with the music that she became part of it, somehow, or it became part of her. She'd used props, Vega remembered. Scarves and her skirts had all been part of it and Vega realised now, as an adult, that the woman's body had moved on the beat, but between the beats, her movement was still in time somehow. She tried to channel that into her own arms, trying to move them not just so that they hit the movement on the beat, but also so that they moved at an equal pace and time into the drumming she heard in her imagination.

Because, she realised after a short while, what she was doing was pushing her arm into the movement, which was great for emphasising the beat itself, but that grace which came with moving between beats required her to almost pull it instead. To act like her fingertips were being pulled, tugged in an even manner. It was better, she knew that immediately, and so Vega practiced and kept doing it. Repetition was the only way to build muscle memory and the young woman danced. While she did, she felt more like herself than she had since this began, the itching was less than it had been and what there was she didn't notice as much. With that level of relief, she pushed and pushed herself until, exhausted, she stopped and stood, hands on her thighs as she bent forward breathing heavily. Then, she nodded her head. "Right. Jog on you bunch of miserable losers. I'm not even a little bit near broken, so give it up."

She slid the scabbard onto her sword then picked up the belt and did it up. Then she looked at the mountain and she breathed in. "Come on, then, Iris. Lets get somewhere we can make camp." And with that, she continued to stomp her way up the mountain.

833 words
Dancing: Dance can be a warm up of it's own
Dancing: Consider movements between the beat, not just on it
Aegis
Storyteller - Staff
Storyteller - Staff
Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:32 pm

Your Thread Review is Here!
Reading this gave me chills. Your use of the voices and Vega's breaking down was lovely. You're truly playing to the plot well. And you've unlocked a plot point detailed below to be used at your pleasure.
Vega
Pre Review Checklist
Requirement ✓ or X Comment
Approved Character --
Updated Thread List for Previous Season --
Updated Skill Point Ledger (Raw, Adjusted, Thread Earned) ✓✓✓ --
Updated Purse (Seasonal Expense, Wage, Thread deductions) ✓✓✓ --
Updated Fame Ledger & Table for threads ✓✓ --

Review
Requirement Fulfillment Comment+
Solo or Collab Solo +6 Skill Knowledges
How many posts? 3 +0 Skill Knowledges
How many requested? 6 --
Are all posts greater than 250 words? 638 682 833
Is the thread greater than 1500 words? 2153
Knowledges appropriate? --
Loot appropriate? N/A --
Renown appropriate? N/A --
Injuries appropriate? N/A --
Below is your well deserved loot. If you have any questions, please PM me. Also please add the provided stamp to your review request found here and please update your CS with all of this information.

Code: Select all

[center][img]http://standingtrials.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=12064[/img][/center]
Loot
Reward Amount Comment
Skill Points 10 --
Magic Points available? N/A --
Renown N/A --
Injuries N/A --
Iris' Insight -- As Iris' voice is among the cacophony within Vega's head, she has learned something of importance. She has learned that their are lesser heard voices within Vega that aren't as easily heard. These voices speak of a desire to be freed, that only Vega can set them free. That to join them only creates more voices for someone later. They long to help Vega but don't know how to reach her through the stronger voices.
Iris' Insight Continued But this information comes at a cost, as the voices are aware that Iris know. Should Iris pass this information on, she will be assaulted by the fire and voices within, and will be unavailable for further use and aid for 73 (determined by roll of 1d20 + 70) Trials. Upon her return, she will be completely fine, with no memory of the time she was injured, as if in a coma.
Knowledges
Skill Knowledge:
  1. Climbing: Slipping on ice and stones
  2. Climbing: Mountains have many hidden obstacles
  3. Dancing: Dance can be a warm up of it's own
  4. Dancing: Consider movements between the beat, not just on it
  5. Discipline: Keeping your own voice in the cacophany
  6. Meditation: Achieving a state of calm, even when in fear

Non-Skill Knowledge:

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”