[Lake Lovalus] Similarities

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Pig Boy, Squirrel, Basilisk

Faye
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

[Lake Lovalus] Similarities

Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:36 pm

40th Vhalar, 720
Whatever the hell was happening at the lake was strong.

Faye had made her way out to Lovalus with the hopes of training, being near a water source so wide and isolated could be perfect for what she wanted to achieve. Yet as she drew out her Ether and used Calling she felt more than just the powerful water source at the Lake, but every other Element too. Strong winds, flames and moving Earth. It was abnormal, a stronger feeling than her Spark had ever allowed her to feel before. Whatever was out there should have intimidated her, should have made her want to turn and run, yet it didn't. If she could spot it from afar perhaps she would be able to tell if it was dangerous or not to her. If it was she could sprint to safety without a second of hesitation, if it wasn't perhaps she'd find something worth her time.

The closer she got to the lake the stronger the Elements drew her in, not wasting any time or Ether on Calling. Whatever was casting was near the lake, if not on it, so she didn't have reason to try and track it down anymore. As she approached she kept cautious, though she knew there wouldn't be much she could do if the thing noticed her. Apart from it wasn't a thing. It was two things. Two people. From afar it was hard to make out much of anything other than the shape of the two individuals. That tail gave away one, the other could be any humanoid race for all she knew. Yet the closer she got the more it made sense.

"Well, isn't this a surprise."

Prae. The same Ithecal she had met and fought alongside just trials ago after he'd seen her take a smack to the jaw. Whatever twist of fate had led to her seeing the same man twice over was amusing to Faye, her smirking a little as she approached. She had no idea who the other man was, yet both seemed apparent as to why they were here. Training. From the look of the Elements around them, and how confidently they fought, both were strong. Stronger than Faye, without a shadow of a doubt, not that she'd ever admit to it verbally. Should either notice her she kept her smirk on her face, playfully raising her hands in surrender.

"Promise I'm not stalking" she hissed teasingly to Prae, lowering her hands and nodding her head to Balthazar. "I came looking to practice some magic and sit by a lake. I try to find the lake and heard some noise, Elements led me here. I figured I'd find a creature of the Elements, or maybe a Defier going on a rampage, and instead I find you. Quite impressive" she confessed to the two, her blue scales flowing like water subtly. After that thought she turned to Balthazar and offered a hand to shake. "Faye. It's a pleasure" she said, head high and mighty, as the Ithecal would always be. Then again, of all the non-Ithecal she had met, Balthazar warranted more respect than most. All defiers were something special as far as Faye was concerned, it was a connection they had. While most other races were pitiful, Balthazar himself seemed perfectly capable of holding his own. Perhaps some Ithecal spirit had found its way into his.

"Dare I ask what I walked in on?"
word count: 598
Praetorum
Approved Character
Renown: +475
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 4
Medal count: 4

Contribution

Milestones

Re: [Lake Lovalus] Similarities

Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:43 am

Date: 40th of Vhalar, Arc 720

Weapons: None
Armor: None

No Current Magical Effects
It was always good to see Balthazar again, whether in dreams or in the waking world. And as had become custom, they had elected to go for a spar. The lake had been an obvious choice, then, a good place to spar where they could have all four elements at their fingertips; a few torches set into the ground completed the scene, with fire and water on either side, air above and earth below. 

Praetorum hissed as a blocked punch turned into an elbow in his ribs, and stomped one foot, making the earth beneath them quake so he could retreat a few steps. They were nearly matched in Defiance, but Prae was outclassed both in attunement and in hand to hand technique, so Balth had had him on the back foot for most of their fight. It was refreshing, really, remembering that he always had more to learn. 

Still, Prae wasn't being completely suppressed in this fight—he'd been attacking with feet and tail and earth more than usual this time, trying to lure Balth's attention downwards. His trap snapped shut now, as he feinted a kick that actually served to bring Prae past the human, and brought an elbow down towards the human's back. Like Prae, Balthazar could see all around himself with omnivision, but even if he saw the attack coming, it was Prae's hope that he would hesitate after expecting an attack from below. 

Before Prae could do anything else though, Suspicion surged in alarm as someone new stepped into the range of his omnivision. Leaping back with the air's aid, Prae turned, half tensed, only to find a familiar face: the Wyvarnth he'd met some trials ago, the defier with blue scales. 

He relaxed a little—though Suspicion latched on to her in search of deceit and treachery it would not find—and raised a hand in greeting. "Good to see you again, under slightly less violent circumstances this time." He said, smiling slightly as she explained how she'd found them. Prae hadn't noticed, but he supposed two sparring defiers must have created quite the ruckus among the elements. 

"My friend here recently arrived in Rharne, presumably to sweep through the local tournaments." Prae said, only half joking. "I thought I'd get a spar or two in with him before he gets drowned in challengers."

word count: 431
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
  • The area around him is slightly more static-y than normal
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Element
Renown: +620
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 2

RP Medals

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:36 pm

40 Vhalar 720
Training used to feel much better to Balthazar than it did on the 40th of Vhalar. He did not understand why it felt different, but he had theories. He had the perfect partner in Praetorum, another powerful Attuner and Defiance mage. He had the perfect spot on the edge of one of the best lakes he'd ever seen. He had all the elements he needed around him... and yet he felt like he was holding back. Praetorum would probably have noticed it. Balthazar didn't seem to hurl as many stones as he could have or create as large bursts of flame. He wasn't bouncing around with portals like he could have been. He was relying a lot on his physical prowess. Balthazar did what he needed to in order to match Praetorum's use of the elements, but he never seemed to exceed it. He was training more than his body now... he was training his restraint and as a Yari, he hated that.

Praetorum was clever and Balthazar wasn't using his omnivision at such a close range, nor was he suppressing any of his magic because he didn't feel the need to do so around Praetorum. He wore a blindfold around his eyes to conceal some of the dark blue glow emanating from them but his vision did not seem greatly impaired. The blindfold didn't cover the etheric cracks running down his cheeks that gave off the same glow. He had similar cracks that glowed a reddish orange creeping up his arm to his elbows but his grave gold vambraces covered most of it. He did not look like the man he used to be but he was a human with more magic than most could survive so that was to be expected. At least he had the power to fake it for a while. Unfortunately Praetorum was clever and trained. Those two qualities were just enough for his ruse to succeed and send Balthazar stumbling forward with a sudden pain in his back.

He turned to launch a counterattack when suddenly he and Prae sensed a new person approaching them. Balthazar tilted his head, the etheric cracks on his cheeks beginning to shimmer different colors for a few trills as the mage attuned to the newcomer. A few familiar notes fluttered by immediately but the one that stood out to Balthazar was Defiance. She was a mage, just like he and Prae. Perhaps that was how she'd found them. She introduced and explained herself, revealing an apparent history with Praetorum. Balthazar smiled and shook her hand when it was offered but because of his blindfold he did not see her mutations. Prae spoke first and Balthazar smirked slightly. He had already swept through the ones he cared about but saw no need to correct his friend. "Balthazar Black." He said after Prae had finished speaking. "I'd hope most people are smart enough not to challenge me after seeing me in the tournaments." Balthazar shrugged. "Then again when have I ever been able to count on the intelligence of my enemies? So, Faye, how do you know my friend?"
word count: 545

Too Many Mutations For A Signature

• Mass Mutation Summary: He glows faintly, his skin is warm and sometimes hot to the touch, and when he gets angry sparks literally fly off him. He's a the middle of a field of static electricity so every once in a while when you touch him, you get shocked. Fire leans towards Balthazar and droplets of water seem magnetically attracted to him. He has a series of cracks on his right pectoral that glow of soft emerald. His eyes and the cracks reaching down to his cheeks glow a dark blue. The etheric cracks spiderwebbing up his arms glow orange.

Scars

• Element in the streets, Yari pretty much everywhere else: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks in Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:46 am

The three of them chatted for some time, before Faye bid them farewell and went off to do her own training elsewhere, leaving Prae and Balth to return to their sparring. 

As the two of them warmed up for another round though, Prae's mind started to wander to his other sparks. Praetorum was well used by now to using defiance with these fighting styles, but had never considered using other magics with them. And why would he? Hone was a magic that was relatively passive in its effects, if aggressively active in its attitude. It simply enhanced his ability to use these martial arts, but did not change them in any meaningful way. 

Attunement was less passive a magic, but still one without any physicality to it. Yes, he realized, that was the difference. Defiance gave him new options, new moves, because it affected the physical world—hone and attunement only affected Prae, enhancing his abilities and granting him information. 

Recently, though, something had changed in his Hone spark. During a training session, Savior had taken the reins, showing him three new runes—one of which was the rune of rebound. 

Praetorum hadn't used it yet, too busy with everything else to experiment with this particular rune, but he understood very generally what it did. Much like Imber, the rune of rebound took the energy of an enemies attack, and turned it back against them. Unlike the others, this was.a rune that could affect an opponent. So it was natural that Prae was interested to see how it synergised with the four forms. 

"Before we begin," Prae said, "do you mind helping me test a new rune I've learned recently?" He quickly drew the rune of rebound on his left arm, and settled into a comfortable stance. "If you could attack me once, more or less lightly?"

word count: 318

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

RP Medals

Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:13 pm

40 Vhalar 720
After a short but pleasant meeting with another Defier, Balthazar and Praetorum were left to continue their training. Balthazar and Praetorum seemed to think alike in some ways. He was beginning to want to stretch his other sparks' legs to see what he could really do with them. Praetorum did not think Attunement would be effective when applied to combat but Balthazar found a combat application for most magics. Rupturing had clear uses and Transmutation seemed like it could have potential but he was not quite experienced enough with it to know for certain. Far too much had happened since he'd crashed out of the Untold into Rharne to really practice his newest magic but he wanted to. He tried to learn things whenever he could but you could only pick up so many random sticks and figure out their durability.

"I'll let you test this, but I want to try something on you after. It's not every trial I get to work with another mage." Balthazar said as he looked over the runes on Praetorum's arm. He had a bad feeling about this. Balthazar took a deep breath and a faint glow shined through his blindfold and the cracks on his cheeks again as he picked up Praetorum's frequency. He took another slow breath and assumed a simple stance with his right leg leading. He moved forward as Praetorum requested and swung his arm at the rune. He struck rather gently but there was no denying that he felt as if his arm had bounced off Praetorum's. Balthazar was twisted a little by the rebounding force but he managed to keep his footing. He was glad he had not tried something more aggressive but he wondered what would have happen if he had tried a grab rather than a hit. "What was that?" Balthazar asked as he began focusing on Praetorum's frequency. Slowly his omnivision retracted and he began to feel more limited by his blindfold. Not completely limited because Rupturing still let him sense all movement around him, but much more limited than trills before. He was preparing for something he had not successfully tried before.

word count: 382

• Mass Mutation Summary: He glows faintly, his skin is warm and sometimes hot to the touch, and when he gets angry sparks literally fly off him. He's a the middle of a field of static electricity so every once in a while when you touch him, you get shocked. Fire leans towards Balthazar and droplets of water seem magnetically attracted to him. He has a series of cracks on his right pectoral that glow of soft emerald. His eyes and the cracks reaching down to his cheeks glow a dark blue. The etheric cracks spiderwebbing up his arms glow orange.

Scars

• Element in the streets, Yari pretty much everywhere else: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks in Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:52 am

Prae laughed as Balthazar gave his conditions. "Why not?" He agreed, drawing a rune of ethersight and focus on his head. "Fair's fair, after all." He wondered what magic Balthazar was trying to test out? It wasn't likely to be defiance or rupturing—Balth had had those as long as Prae had known him, and judging by the strength of his mutations, he had a feeling that those magics were well familiar to the other mage. On the other hand, the same could have been said about Prae's hone spark, and he had only recently learned more of what the spark could do, so perhaps it was one of those magics. 

Still, he'd said something about Prae being, not another defier, but another mage, so Prae guessed it would either be something to do with attunement, or this new magic he'd mentioned, transmutation. Or perhaps his new mark; he'd never said it had anything to do with magic, after all. 

Well, he'd find out soon enough. As Balthazar launched his attack, Prae kept his arm steady, and watched the rune on his arm. Its etheric glow was faint, which Prae had expected, given how little it had cost him to draw it. Based purely on that, Prae hadn't been expecting too much, just a light repulsive force to augment his own defenses. 

What he had not expected was for Balth's attack to be thrown off entirely, with only minimal pressure to his arm. In his hone enhanced vision, the rune flared with ether, expending its energy all at once to turn the attack back on itself. 

His mind immediately went to Etzos, where he'd fought Karim and been thrown back by the force of his own charge by an abrogation shield. So it was a one use rune, not a sustained one—but with a tremendous effect. This was something that could be used strategically to incredible effect, he thought—if he could use it to intercept an opponent's heaviest blow, it would have all the effect of a perfect parry with very little of the energy expended. And for Prae especially, with the long reach of his tail... if he could keep redrawing this rune on his tail, he could block attacks aimed at people six, maybe seven feet away. Increasing the area he could reasonably defend... Prae smiled slightly to himself. He was going to have to do a lot more testing in the future. Or if Balthazar let him, right now. 

"That," he said, "was the rune of rebound. It has... I suppose it has a bit of an Imber feel to it, or a Da'Riya influence. How did it feel to you?" Prae asked, reaching back to draw the rune at the base of his tail. He wanted to see if the effect would reach all the way to his tail tip, and how much of a heavy attack it would deflect. 

Once he was done, he rolled his shoulders, and readied himself. "Your turn. What do you want me to do?"

word count: 525

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

RP Medals

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 pm

40 Vhalar 720
"Well I'm glad I chopped and did not punch. I worry what it could do to my wrist if I were to hit it directly." Balthazar admit to Praetorum when asked what the rune had felt like to him. A rune of rebound. Interesting. He wondered if Doran would have been able to find a way to replicate the effect with blood magic but he did not say anything about it. He would have to focus on the magic he could produce with his own blood when it came to blood magic and he could produce quite a lot of magic. "I'm curious what more powerful impacts would do."

Having synchronized to Praetorum's frequency, Balthazar found the notes of his Defiance spark. Isabella never taught Balthazar this technique but he thought of it like an extension of soothing. He could soothe the sparks of other mages and suppress their mutations so he had become certain that he could go a step further and emit a signal so powerful it suppressed the magic completely. That was what he attempted to do to Praetorum's Defiance spark. He reached out with Attunement to jam Praetorum's spark and then he answered his question. "I want you to try and use the elements to deflect my next attack, and if you can't use your rune." Balthazar said as he assumed his stance again. He gave Praetorum a few trills to put another rune anywhere he wanted but it was also another few trills for Balthazar to jam his companion's spark. Then Balthazar stomped, summoning a large stone from the ground before he punched in the air toward Praetorum and the stone launched forward at the ithecal.

Rebound. Balthazar could predict that the stone would probably be sent back his way and if it was he would open a flaming portal in front of it to consume the stone and shoot it at Praetorum from behind.

word count: 344

Scars

Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:05 am

"I'm curious as well." Prae admitted. "I'd like to know the limits of the rune as well before I start relying on it in combat."  But that could wait—for now, it was Balthazar's turn to practice... whatever it was he wanted to try out. 

The human settled into a stance, and told Prae what to do. "Try and use the elements?" He asked, somewhat bemused. Balthazar's relationship with the elements wasn't that far ahead of Prae's, and he didn't think the other defier could wrest control of the elements completely away from him. 

As it turned out, he'd had the wrong idea entirely about what Balthazar had meant. A stomp had a rock shooting into the air, and even as Balthazar began his all too familiar punch, Prae was already reaching for his own defiance spark to knock it off course. Only.... in his chest, Suspicion surged in alarm as his mind skittered off of his defiance spark, leaving him unable to grasp and use it. 

What had Balthazar done? No time to think about that right now, not with a rock hurtling through the air at him. Prae's tail lashed out, the tip of it catching the rock in midair. Sure enough, there was a flash as the ether dispersed in an instant, sending the rock flying back and buying Prae a moment to think. 

Balthazar had somehow blocked his spark. Prae's first instinct was Abrogation, but no, Balthazar had four sparks already—he couldn't have abrogation as well. Attunement or Transmutation, then. Prae didn't know much about transmutation, so he couldn't say anything there, but could attunement do such a thing? Perhaps— if a reveal attuner could synchronize completely with someone, perhaps interfering with their spark wasn't out of the question. 

As soon as the idea popped into his head, a potential counter occurred to him as well. Reaching for his own attunement spark, Prae scrambled his own frequency, hoping that it would be enough. When he tried to add some force behind the rock now headed Balthazar's way, though, he encountered that same unsettling blockage. Damn. 

Then, there was the sound of air tearing, both in front of him, and behind him. Prae didn't waste a heartbeat looking, and threw himself to the side, moments before the rock came hurtling out of the portal through where he'd just been standing. Rolling to his feet, Prae quickly drew a rune of speed on his chest, dispersed it, and then drew another rune of rebound on his tail. 

"That's a very strange feeling." He said, readying himself for any followup attacks. "Not sure I like it."

word count: 463

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

RP Medals

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:19 am

40 Vhalar 720
It worked! It really worked! Balthazar could feel the difference before he launched his attack and Praetorum's response confirmed the feeling. He was doing it, he was suppressing another mage's magic! Balthazar noticed when Praetorum's frequency shook and he recognized the static Praetorum was casting over his frequency but Balthazar didn't lose track of the spark in the other mage. Had Praetorum used the static before Balthazar attuned, he might have been able to delay the jamming but Balthazar felt a grip on the spark he was not expecting. He was confident he could have still rooted through the static and found it. Regardless of his theories, the training continued.

Praetorum was quick and the portal tearing open was loud so the ithecal managed to avoid the stone which shattered against the ground a few feet from Balthazar. After the rock crashed, Balthazar began to loosen his hold on Praetorum's spark, releasing the jamming trill by trill. By the time Praetorum expressed disliking the feeling, Balthazar had stopped jamming Praetorum's magic. He felt lighter when he wasn't focused on the defiance spark, but that was not the only spark Praetorum had in his frequency. Now that he had his static going, it was indeed more difficult for Balthazar to seek out the other mystical notes in the ithecal.

"Attunement. I... soothed your spark? No... soothing doesn't hurt..." Balthazar didn't know how to explain what he'd done. He'd never seen it so successful. It hadn't really worked well on Victor. "I was blocking your spark but I've stopped now. It requires a lot of focus and I'm feeling a little strain. What would you like to try next?"

word count: 308

Scars

Return to “The Stormlands”