Lightning & Shadows

The Shadow seeks help in the form of lightning filled justice

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Munchkin, Chronicle, Oracle

Yavanna
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Renown: +45
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Point Bank Thread

Lightning & Shadows

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Ymiden 41st, Arc 718

⌘ Current Theme: HUSHH

Continuing from Here

⌘ By the next morning, Yavanna and her captive trek their way to the stronghold of the military force withing Rharne. As she lugged her captive, the young man from the other night, she still had questions that plagued her in her sleep. Seeing visions of girls hands reaching out to her, and her unable to take hold of them as the slipped away screaming for aid. Stopping abruptly, causing the recovering young man to bump into her she turned her head slightly to the side. What I dont get is what they need so many young girls for? Why would they need to take so many? She asked, looking at his face, evidence still lingering of the citizens anger upon him. She had no pity for him. If you were going to kidnap someone, make sure you at least did it right and didnt get caught. Coming out of the woods of Mistral, Yavanna gasped in amazement at the large structure. It was beautiful in a way, giving off an air of strength, which caused a smile to form on her face as she pushed the young man forward urging him to move faster. Maybe a break later, they finally came within sight of the fortress gates, lighting knights moving about, performing their duties as any knight should. Giddy she couldnt help but giggle, sauntering towards the entrance of the impressive structure. She had garnered the attention of several lightning knights due to the company she had, and as a cautionary measure, she soon found herself surrounded. Easy there guys I come is peace. I just figured I'd turn this lowlife over to the proper authorities before heading out to stop some human traffickers targeting young girls in the Dust Quarter. This dolt here was apart of it, he was their spotter, a local on the inside that could lure the girls to them. I have a map drawn by this wretch to where they are suppose to be holding these girls. She explained, nudging the back of the young man's legs to force him to his knees. Go on, tell them what you have done traitor. She commanded, and with low hanging head he spilled his guts confirming what she had said just a moment ago. Now if you all dont mind, I'm going to head out to this location, his confession is pinned to his shirt if you want it or if it even matters. I dont have time to waste on the formalities of such legal matters. Every second wasted here is another second this trail runs colder. She said, hands raised in an non-hostile way as she slowly backed away from the encirclement.⌘

Last edited by Yavanna on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 475
Lucas Nardovino
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Drunken Brawler
Renown: +20
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Re: Lightning & Shadows

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Lucas was still at the Fort, Storm's Edge, he had actually been getting ready to go not that he'd had anything to bring with him besides the clothes on his back. Still he came out to find an unusual occurrence, at least he assumed it was not the norm. A woman leading a bruised man an kneeling him before a large group of knights. He couldn't here what was being said and so the uncomfortably sober man walked closer to hear what was happening, moving into a position where he could easily hear what was being communicated.

It seemed there was some form of slave prostitution going on, human trafficking was not something Lucas had taken part in back in the old days but it was something he knew of. So he listened and as he realised the woman intended to try and sort this out alone, he watched as she left. Part of him longed to just go to Rharne find a job so he could pay for his drinking habit and thank Ilaren for his freedom. Though the memories of his own promises drove him forward here. Luckily he had not fallen into the grasps of self despair and a lack of confidence yet, he was riding somewhat high on his release still.

Finally he decided to follow her, jogging slightly to catch up to her not wanting to lose her and get lost himself. He didn't know the area tremendously well and things changed especially in five years. "Excuse me, wait up?" He called out as he approached her, nerves starting to come over him as he looked at her. She was stunning, at least compared to the women of the prison, toned skin and black locks. He supposed he was lucky the first person he might help since release was an attractive woman.

Lucas didn't realise that this would be the first good and the only real good he did for a short while now, confidence would leave him and he would struggle to find the motivation to join the knights after this, his own promises weighed heavily on him even now. Still in this moment he ignored it in favour of continuing what he had started in prison. "If you plan on doin this by yourself that is a bad idea." He shrugged as he managed to get in front of her with the hopes of stopping her walking.

He couldn't help himself but noticing her shape and her young appearance, she was without a doubt a fine example of the female form. "Not that I don't believe you could handle it just they are after young women, would it not be playing right into their hands to go alone." He forced out a slightly awkward smile, unsure whether he would come across as chivalrous or sexist. Of course in truth he just wanted to help, although he could not ignore that her appearance did draw him further into the cause.
word count: 511
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 pm

Truthfully, it was rare for Vivian to be stationed away from Rharne proper, a consideration for her family and the fact that she was far more familiar with the city than she was with the countryside. However, she was occasionally needed in the Stormlands, and when she was ordered, she went. So it was that she was present, her armor crackling with sparks, when a naer brought in a captive and told a story of a slave ring.

Vivian stepped forward and took the prisoner the naer had brought, checking his confession before nodding and handing him over to some of the squires. She heard the naer's plan, and noted a man stepping forward to help. Shaking her head, Vivian stepped forward as well. "I'll be going as well. There's likely to be guards where you're going, and if nothing else, they'll read me as more of a threat and focus their attention on me instead of you two." she said, her tone serious. "But we'll want to get there faster than walking will take us." she said, gesturing at a couple of the squires.

After a moment, three horses, plus more if more people came along, were brought out. "They aren't war mounts, but they'll get us to this slaver hideout faster than walking will, and speed is essential." she said, leaving out that they could also carry the naer and the man away from the slavers den if turned out that they were ill-suited for the task of dealing with the local scum. Climbing into Speckle, her own horse, Vivian readied her sword and shield before looking at the naer. "Well, lead the way, then." she said, gesturing the naer onward.
word count: 299
Hanabi
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Having just recently moved to Rharne after a childhood full of traveling, Hanabi found it difficult to stay in one spot. She was inclined to explore to her heart’s content and see the lands around the city. The only problem was that she had gotten lost. She would never admit it, but the only reason she found herself at this militarized area was because she thought she had circled back around into Rharne. It was only after an hour of wandering around that she realized that she was definitely not in the same place that she had started.

Out of all the commotion, the one thing that caught her attention was a woman who was accompanied by a badly bruised fellow. Apparently this guy had helped human traffickers. ”Does this kind of stuff actually happen in cities? Well, I guess slaves have to come from somewhere.

Had the woman not mentioned “young girls,” Hanabi probably would have simply continued on her way. However, she happened to be a young girl herself. If she was going to live in Rharne she figured she might as well learn more about how to protect herself from being trafficked herself. ”I’m starting to regret moving here. I’d never have to worry about getting abducted in my past life.”

And so, Hanabi would approach a group of three with a happy-go-lucky expression. Her pink hair would flow with the wind as she took a good look at who she would be joining. There was the woman who turned in the criminal, a man who Hanabi hadn’t noticed before, and a fierce looking guard who’s armor had seemed to crackle with electricity.

“Hi there,” she would say enthusiastically, “if you lot are going on an adventure I’d love to tag along!” Hanabi would mount one of the extra horses that had been called and pretended she knew anything about riding an animal. With any luck, the horse would just follow the others.
word count: 334
Yavanna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Point Bank Thread

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 am

Ymiden 41st, Arc 718

Continuing from Here

⌘ As she was about to make her journey to the caves, a man called out to her, asking her to wait for him. Turning to face him she found a ruggedly handsome man before her, who's most notable feature were his eyes, a chilling and beautiful icy grey. He was concerned for her, something she found...................endearing yet a little insulting, but more endearing. Awe so the mortal man thinks a dainty little flower cant handle such a thing, how sweet of him, but unwarranted. "Well look at that, and they say chivalry is dead. I appreciate the concern, but this girl can handle herself as you so correctly stated." She said darting around the man before stopping mid stride and looking at the map and its details. No if this was going to be a success, she'd need all the help she could possibly afford, and if he or anyone else was willing, she sure as hell wouldnt stop them. "I take that back, I could use the help. The details of their guard routine dont suggest the ones protecting the cave to be all that good, possibly out of towners which means they wont be as good as a Rharne brawler. But the sheer number of them is well above my capabilities, so I'll gladly take any help you can offer." She assured, extending a hand for him to shake. Though it seemed Yavanna had reeled in a bigger fish, laced in electrifying armor. Looking over the woman, Yavanna could feel the strength this woman had, it was both alluring yet intimidating wrapped in a serious facial expression. She offered to be the bait in this rescue, Yavanna nodding in agreement that a lightning knight would garner one of two reactions; 1} They guards would be a mass of idiots and take her on, or 2} They'd recognize the threat and run. Yavanna was hoping for the first option, wanting to see what warrior of the Lightning Immortal could really do.Glad to have you, Though lets hop they dont all focus on you, I'd like to have some fun too. The near purred putting on her combat grieves. The knight had called for some horses which caused Yavanna to yelp for a moment. In all her life, the naer never had any training in horseback riding, or any mount riding to begin with. Looking rather nervous she gripped the arm of one of the squires and leaned into his ear. "How in Audrae's name do you ride one of this things?!" She whispered in a panicking tone, which made the squire laugh. He helped her onto the saddle and gave her a quick tutorial on how to steer and give commands. When he felt she was confident enough to go on her own, she set them off. From this map, it appears that the cave is heading this way. We shouldnt be too long by horseback, and for that we thank you Lady knight. Before they headed out, a pink haired girl joined the group, offering her services in the rescue effort, to which Yavanna nodded from her horse. With this many, this shouldnt be too dangerous of a job. I truly appreciate the help guys. Normally I wouldnt insert myself in such matters, but if you had felt the sorrow and anguish of a concerned mother, well it compels you to do things out of one's own comfort zone. She spoke allowing for the horse to move forward ⌘

word count: 613
Lucas Nardovino
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 am

More people approached and Lucas couldn't help but notice a trend, they were all women. It was strange, in many ways it went against the usual order of things. Then again this was Rharne, their Patron Immortal was a woman and nobody in their right mind would mess with her. Perhaps it was growing up in the poor criminal world that had given him a biased view, it was largely men that delved into the dark underbelly of gang life.

He stopped thinking about it and focused on the task at hand, mounting a horse. He had no clue how that was meant to be done, a poor man like him had never had chance to ride before. Horse riding was for rich snobs or soldiers, sometimes a mix of the two. Still he placed his hand on the front of the saddle and lifted a foot into the stirrup. Wobbling and struggling to keep balance he hoisted himself up with a grunt. Lucas wavered in the saddle both feet in the stirrups as he tried to think of anything he knew about horses, he had seen plenty of rich folk doing it after all.

He allowed the others to go first, the original woman leading the way, followed by the knight and a pink haired woman. Lucas took up the rear and watched, doing his best to gather how this all worked. The knight seemed to squeeze the horse with her legs, heels tapping the creature beneath her. He copied the motion and low and behold it moved forward, it seemed to naturally follow the others and so he let it while doing his best not to fall.

Lucas remained somewhat quiet now, allowing the others to converse if they wished. His mind was elsewhere at that moment anyway, thinking of the cell he had left behind only a trial earlier and now here he was in a saddle heading to do some good. Maybe he had truly changed and found a new way to live, for the moment at least he felt the good side of being free as he nestled into the saddle. All of the women before him were a sight for sore eyes but with the current task he supposed it was an inappropriate time for such thoughts.

After all he was free now, there was plenty of time to drool over Rharne's women and now was neither the time nor the place. Still he flattened his hair and ran his fingers through his beard, trying to look less like a man that had just been released from prison whether it was true or not. He stretched briefly before keeping a close look on their surroundings in case anything was out of place. Lucas had gotten used to keeping his head on a swivel, it came with his old way of life and five years in a ruthless jail.
word count: 494
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Vivian let out a huff at the Naer's comment. "If they all focus on me, good. It means I'll be able to keep them busy while the rest of you free any prisoners they have. When it became apparent that none of these people had ever ridden before, Vivian stifled a growl of annoyance. "Clench with your legs, pull left or right on the the reigns to turn. Tap the sides lightly with your heels to make it go forward. Do not, ever, dig in sharp with your heels. It'll make the horse charge, and if you aren't trained to ride a charge, it'll dump you out of your saddle. Pull back lightly on the reigns to make the horse stop. If you pull back hard on the reigns, the horse will rear up onto its hind legs and stay there until you dig in with your heels, at which point it will drop and charge." she said, her tone intent, making sure they all heard her.

She had also heard the prayer to Audrae, which didn't exactly fill her with comfort. She had heard tales of the Shadow Queen, and very few of them were good. She nodded at the naer's gratitude for the horses. "When we get there, all of you fall back behind me. They'll likely not take kindly to our presence, and I'm better suited for a direct confrontation. If nothing else, I'm better armored." Which was a bit of an understatement, given that she was the only one with armor period. The pink haired girl in particular made her nervous though, as she seemed phenominally unsuited for taking on bandits, but she was open to being surprised.

"Having been a concerned mother, I can agree that it has an impact." she said, drily, as they headed down the road. Vivian kept her eyes open on the trip, speaking only when spoken too and being very quiet about it when she did speak. She kept one hand on the hilt her sword, and her shield was already strapped to her other arm, so she was ready to go at a moments notice if it became necessary.
word count: 377
Hanabi
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:24 pm

As light as Hanabi was, she wondered if the horse even knew that it was carrying a load. She was happy to see that nobody but the guard seemed to know what they were doing either. She would do her best to follow the directions the guard was giving, but it was easier said than done. ”Pull to turn and tap to go Hanabi would repeat in her head over and over. She wasn’t all too worried about having the horse charge, as she had a hard enough time applying enough force to make the horse move forward to begin with. Luckily, the horse got the hint that it was supposed to follow the others and did so without much of a fuss.

Hanabi was a bit curious as to why everyone seemed so serious. The sole man of the gathering was a quiet fellow who kept to himself for the most part. Hanabi had seen him getting told off earlier, perhaps he was eager to keep quiet and avoid causing trouble. The leader and the guard hadn’t made much small talk either. It wasn’t surprising, as they had just met and they were certainly taking part in serious matters. Even so, silence was killer to the pink haired woman.

“What do ya think we’re in for?” Hanabi would ask the group cheerfully, “ya don’t think the bad guys will be ready for us now that one of theirs has gone and gotten himself arrested do ya?” It was the only worry Hanabi had about what was to come. She wasn’t all that worried about getting into a tussle, but getting shot in the back was the last thing on her bucket list.
word count: 289
Yavanna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Point Bank Thread

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:22 am

Ymiden 41st, Arc 718

Continuing from Here

⌘ It wasnt too bad, riding the horse that is. Now that she was getting comfortable with the animal, along with the instruction of the knight, she could ride with confidence and not have to worry about falling off or the beast going out of control. Listening to the knight, she could relate to the current situation, having been a mother herself. As for her being the bait for the armed guard Yavanna could think of no better than the knight herself. The near had planned on using the knight as bait in the beginning, but now she didnt have to scheme in order for it to work. To be rather honest I think that is the best course of action given the situation. Better to have you take their attention as I'm sure you can do more damage than we can. She said, lightly tapping the horses sides for it to move a little faster. When the pink haired girl asked what all would be in store for them, Yavanna looked back at her. I believe they will be on guard, Im sure they've noticed that there spotter has been put out of action. On the off chance that they dont know yet, we could have the element of surprise on our side. Though its too early to tell, so we'll see when we get to the cave. She explain, pulling out the map and looking over the guard details that were written on it. She couldnt be sure this wasnt a trap, the spotter giving false info just to set them up. But then again he wasnt that time, the spineless coward. She couldnt be 100% sure. She could only hope the four of them could handle what was to come. With that in mind, she decided to probe her allies, see what all they can do. It has occured to me that i dont much about any of you, care to share something about yourselves. It'll help if we all know what each person is capable of in terms of skills and talents.

word count: 373
Lucas Nardovino
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Lucas continued to ride at the back, listening to the conversation in front of him but most of his attention was on their surroundings and not falling. At least that was until they began to discuss the guards and what they might find out there. He supposed he had probably some of the most experience with criminals here, excluding perhaps the knight. Still he had been one, he knew how they thought, even if he had never gone as far and dark as to trade in people.

He had seen how they worked and how they were, more often than not they were the true bottom feeders of the criminal world. Especially the ones that traded in young women, they were despicable. "From my experience with slavers, especially those trading in young women, they aren't usually heavily armed and nor are they skilled." He spurred his horse forward a little so he was easier to hear. "They are terrible people and not always the smartest. Lets hope they are too dim to have noticed their missing spotter, maybe they assume he is passed out drunk in a ditch."

Of course the ex-con left out how he knew this, he didn't think they would take kindly to hearing about his criminal past whether he had stooped this low or not. Lucas allowed the conversation to go on from there having added his piece, he wasn't sure about letting the knight take the brunt of the enemies. Even the best fighters couldn't take on too great numbers, he knew that well enough having fought his fair share of unequal fights.

Their leader however, seemed to plan on trying to learn about the people in the group and he was faced with the choice of honesty or lies. In this case he chose to keep his past to himself and offered a simple response. "I am not a knight or a champion warrior but I can hold my own in a fight, of which I have been in many." Many bruises still covered his body, all in different stages of healing. Most were covered by his clothes but there was still one large purple bruise on his neck.

He dropped back then in an attempt to avoid more questions, he was afraid of what they might think of him. This was only his second day out of prison after all, it was better he kept it to himself in this current situation.
word count: 422

Return to “The Stormlands”