• Out of Character • Scalvoris Q & A

Got a question? Rather than keeping it private, ask it here then everyone knows!

This is an Out of Character forum for the players of Scalvoris looking for further information about the area.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Scalvoris Q & A

Ask Away!
So, lovely players of Scalvoris and citizens of Idalos. Do you have a question? If so, consider asking it here rather than sending it in a pm. Why? Because then everyone gets to read it and know the answer! Win win. Any questions are fine, please ask - happy to answer!
word count: 52
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Aeon
Race: Human
Profession: Hero :|
Renown: 183
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Scalvoris Q & A

All of the 20 pirate lords disappeared, but what happened to their pirate crews? Did everyone on the pirate ships disappear, or did something else happen with the (surely) hundreds of other pirates? Exile/imprisonment/incorporation into the new Scalvoris?
word count: 40
ImageImage
"A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down"
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Scalvoris Q & A

Aeon wrote:All of the 20 pirate lords disappeared, but what happened to their pirate crews? Did everyone on the pirate ships disappear, or did something else happen with the (surely) hundreds of other pirates? Exile/imprisonment/incorporation into the new Scalvoris?
Great question! The simple answer is that, no one knows exactly what happened during the 100 trials that the mists fell over Scalvoris from the 1st Vhalar 716. Or, more precisely, no one know yet. PCs might explore / discover, who knows?

What is known, though, is:

As the Lore says - the 20 Pirate Lords disappeared on 1st Vhalar. That's them & their ships, which were crewed.

The people of Scalvoris, if asked, will be clear that the Pirate Lords sailed out to fight the creatures which were attacking by land and sea and they just never came back. More than that simply isn't common knowledge. Nobody saw them "disappear" in front of their eyes, but then the mist had fallen and you couldn't see further than your arm.

You're right, though, that's not all the pirates. It's a lot of them, but not all. Some of those associated with the Pirates (and many who weren't, also) disappeared during the 100 trials with the mist. Those who did are presumed dead by the populace, because of the Shadow Beasts. However, there are still people on the island who are / were connected to the Pirate Lords in some way and it's fairly well known that there are still pirates, especially in Almund. With the new council and stricter laws, they tend to be less obvious, but they're there and not really hiding so much as just no longer shouting.

Also - there are factions at work in Scalvoris - specifically look at the Crafters and the Phoenix Faction, for example. Whilst it isn't common knowledge, those who have lived on the island awhile tend to think that there are links with the Pirate Lords there. No one knows for sure, because no pc's have explored it yet.

And finally (sorry - long answer!) there are increasing and continued pirate attacks this season and last, which might indicate some sort of return. Some pc's are investigating that, though, so no spoilers here!

Hope that fully answers!
word count: 383

Pash Raj'oriq
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Tankbard
Renown: 315
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Scalvoris Q & A

How will all the locals feel when there is an influx of non-natives establishing themselves in the government? 8-)
word count: 19
Rakahi | Rakahi Pidgin | Common | Xanthean

Because of his Competency in Empathy magic, Pash exudes an aura of calm emotion that is always "on." While it's not strong enough to overcome extreme emotions and it also loses strength the more people he's around, it's still up to you how that affects your character in whatever situation we're in. PM with questions!
[/googlefont]
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Scalvoris Q & A

Pash wrote:How will all the locals feel when there is an influx of non-natives establishing themselves in the government? 8-)
Well, that's a very good question!

It is also one I just started to answer in that thread there.

Generally speaking, not great. They've lived under the Pirate Lords for some time, and now they've got a council of people who know Scalvoris. It will of course depend on how the pc's in question play it ~ but in all honesty? I can't see it going down well.

Of course, in the factions ~ specifically the Crafters and the Phoenix Faction but others too, there will be disgruntlement. I think the pc's involved are taking on a lot - which is REALLY great to see - but IC I think there will be challenges for them.

OOC I know there will. <holds multiple modbombs behind my back, whistling innocently>

Hope that fully answers!
word count: 156

Mero
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Renown: 0
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Scalvoris Q & A

So a couple questions and I may just be blind.

0gn – 4gn per day Beggar x N/A
So I'll be going by this for starting out but I was curious, As a begger what are the general rules/ opinions on Vagrancy. Like as far as the skills needed to survive is the ability to escape the town guard repeatedly going to be an issue? I'm not terribly concerned but I'd love to know a little about what I could expect.
word count: 84
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Scalvoris Q & A

Mero wrote: 0gn – 4gn per day Beggar x N/A
So I'll be going by this for starting out but I was curious, As a begger what are the general rules/ opinions on Vagrancy. Like as far as the skills needed to survive is the ability to escape the town guard repeatedly going to be an issue? I'm not terribly concerned but I'd love to know a little about what I could expect.
Thank you for that question!

Ok - two parts to the answer. The 0 - 4gn category is a category which determines what your pc expenses are. It identifies that, if your pc earns between 0 - 4gn per trial (day) then they are considered to be at a "Beggar" standard of living and have to deduct no expenses. So this applied to people with jobs (which seems strange for "beggar" I know!) and their wages.

However:
In terms of your question about the rules / opinions on vagrancy.

I'm afraid the answer to that is a little more complex in so much as it depends where. In Scalvoris Town, for example, things are a bit posher, a bit more upmarket. Therefore, a vagrant is likely to have to know where to go in order to not get chased off by the guards.

In Almund - no one really cares. Sometime a group of guards might come past and give you a kicking, others might wander past. It's a much more rough and ready place.

In terms of that, there is a starting package called the "Wilderness" package for "wilderness" pcs. If you wanted to be a vagrant, you might want to look at that. Skills? Depends on how you're going to survive. Someone who survives as a pickpocket, for example, will need different skills than a hunter.

Please do feel free to drop me a pm and we can discuss etc. Always happy to help out!

Hope that fully answers!

~ Peg
word count: 326

Mero
Approved Character
Renown: 0
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Scalvoris Q & A

So a note on begging. while it's not labeled within the professions list i think begging or panhandling is a viable career. as far as associated skills i would go so far as to say that acting and persuasion, would probly be the two skills that go into making one a good beggar. Being able to instil feelings of pity in people and kindle generosity being the essential idea. though perhaps intimidation might also work for some.

So the question being, can one be specifically a beggar in scalvoris?
word count: 90
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Scalvoris Q & A

Mero wrote: So a note on begging. while it's not labeled within the professions list i think begging or panhandling is a viable career. as far as associated skills i would go so far as to say that acting and persuasion, would probly be the two skills that go into making one a good beggar. Being able to instil feelings of pity in people and kindle generosity being the essential idea. though perhaps intimidation might also work for some.

So the question being, can one be specifically a beggar in scalvoris?
Thank you for that question!

So, it's not on the professions list - and I see why. Remember that your daily wage goes up each season and with skill bonuses. Whilst I can see begging as a sideline, I can't see the situation where someone is earning 20gn+ per day as a beggar - or is funding a rich lifestyle from it?

So, I'd say as a profession no, not "solely" begging. But then you might have a street performer, etc. So with acting, you might be someone who does short "sketches" that people gather round and watch, that kind of thing.

I just don't see someone earning more begging (especially in Scalvoris, but anywhere really) than they could working. So, your options are (although I'm happy to discuss further!) probably either that you make it a "street performance" sort of thing (under the profession Actor or Singer or Dancer, depending on the performance) or you have a thread where you beg as a sideline / supplemental. Maybe.

Hope that fully answers / gives you things to think about / discuss with Ghoul and I?

~ Peg
word count: 278

Mal
Profession: Thief
Renown: -92
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Scalvoris Q & A

Pegasus wrote: I can't see the situation where someone is earning 20gn+ per day as a beggar - or is funding a rich lifestyle from it?
If you look it up in the real world, a portion of beggars take begging to the extreme, and they do make a good living. Some of them even make enough money to be middle class. Also, beggars can insert themselves into situations where they earn more from people trying to help them.

One such beggar from my hometown had a dog which he used to attract attention. It was later discovered that he was making ~$50k/year in solicited funds. I might add that this was in one of the poorest counties in the state.
word count: 122
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Out with the Tide”