Seeking Solutions

The greatest repository of knowledge and most prestigious center of learning in all of Idalos.

Moderators: Whisper, Banshee

Faith
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Philanthropist
Renown: +1000
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Knots' response to her suggesting that she was going to do further research caused Faith some discomfort, it must be said. But, looking down she frowned deeply as she looked at the symbol. "What's this?" There was no question in Faith's mind. He was asking her not to look into it further and that would be for a reason. It didn't work, of course, her asking and as Linika ripped his shirt, Faith considered that the Naerrick woman really was very direct and she should consider learning that from her. Of course, Knots had the symbol and he stubbornly refused to talk about it, like he didn't know or he was afraid or whatever it was.

"It's alright," Faith said, softly. Her tone was quiet, calm and conciliatory as she looked at the grizzled old pirate. What was there on the sea that he was afraid of, after all? "I understand that you were terrified, Knots. I don't know if this will help, maybe my husband will come back with a mark on his shoulder, too?" Maybe he wouldn't come back. Faith couldn't, shouldn't think like that but equally she couldn't help it. Sometimes.

"I'm just trying to have hope," she said, her silver eyes looking at his with the simple truth of what she said shining out of her. "I know I should be concerned for all the people, Knots, and I am but it's very far away from just needing someone to tell me that he's alright. But no one can." Her voice was calm. Entirely calm and her expression seemed it too. Faith was an incredibly disciplined young woman and she was using every bit of it. She understood that Linika might well be right in her apparent belief that Knots responded to that mixture of physical intimidation and emotional plea, but Faith had only emotions in her arsenal right now.

"If you can't tell me, Knots, I understand. If you won't, that's your choice, but please understand what I'm asking you for is hope." She was entirely honest when she said that, it was all she was seeking in truth. No one could promise her that Padraig was safe, she knew that, but things to cling on to, things to research. Those? Those were invaluable.

"I just need... I need to know. It's my husband, Knots, and I need to keep hope for him. For the baby and for me. Anything you can tell me, I'll be grateful. Please?" With a glance at Linika, to include her in this, Faith said, quite genuinely, "I'm sorry. I am. I wish I didn't have to ask, but I need to keep believing that he's alive." The former slave had to, she knew, because she couldn't be in a world where Padraig wasn't.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

Linika
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Apothecary
Renown: +74
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Something in the pregnant woman's face pressed an emotional button in the old pirate's heart, and he resumed his seat across from her, as Linika took up "watch" behind him. "Look, whad'ja be havin' me say, lady? That there be no hope? And break yer heart here an' now? Or should I get them hopes up, just to have them crash all the harder if'n he don't come back?"

He cringed just a bit, as if he thought the naer was going to hit him from behind. His head tilted slightly to catch any approaching shadow, then resumed his direct look. "Of course, there always'll be hope. But I'll be damned if'n I ever wet my feet in those waters again. You can't sweet eye me enuff, nor can yer partner promise me fancy 'nuff clothes to be worth dyin' in."

Linika caught Faith's eye, but saw no look that suggested she ought to press him any further. The truth was, she did not really see what more he was likely to know. She sighed with a smiling tone, "It's alright Knots. I'll get you some new clothes nonetheless. Unless you think they'd have better pirate-type clothes to be found in Scalvoris. I think Faith'll be heading back that way soon. I could send some...money.......with...What?...Knots?...Is there something else?"

The old buccaneer had an odd look on his face. "Scalvoree, ya say? O' course. I should o' known the accent." He now waved a hand back at Linika, clearly anticipating her questions. "Now, now, it's none o' that! I just think there be no better place to go findin' yer own crew 'o men what share this tattoo. I'd betcha a few o' them'd be up fer goin' after yer man, what with the right pay. Again, tho missus, this is just a long-shot's hope. No promises."

"Oh, for fates' sake, Knots!" Linika groaned, "Breltek's Balls! What kind of money do you think I have? Not only would they be expecting full-on hazard pay, but the cost of the ship?"

"Stow it, woman!" he sneered, with an oddly good natured tone, suggesting that a regular exchange of insults was no rare thing. He rose from his seat and turned to face the naer, leaning in for emphasis. "If you think I be the mark of what every old pirate has aspired to, well, you'll be off the target a good hun'ert fathoms! There still be adventurin' in Scalvoree blood. And a ship or two owned by folks not so far removed from yours truly."

He hooked his thumbs in his lapels and rocked back with a swaggering pride. "Not fer free, no. But a couple o' thousand to split, and leave to loot whatever they can snare? I'll bet you'll have a crew up in....two trials." realization registered on his face once more, "But it won't be includin' me!"
Last edited by Linika on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Poison -

"Shelf Life'...What an ironically contradictory concept."

- Linika Amarinthine -
Faith
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 am

"I'm putting you in a tricky position, Knots, I know. I'm sorry, I truly am." Perhaps most surprising was the truth of what Faith said. She didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable, had no wish to put him in a position of saying or not saying anything he did not wish to. Yet. Faith would tear down every building in Viden with her bare hands if it was what it took to find some information about Padraig. It wasn't what she wanted, but it was what she had to do. But Knots' words told of something that Faith suddenly realised he thought. "Knots, I'm not asking you to go after him. I'm not. I've asked every captain in Scalvoris docks and a few here, too." She admitted that rather shamefacedly; Padraig would not be amused and would be more than a little worried about her, especially in her current condition. "None of them will sail. I'm looking for things that I can research, maybe, try. Information. I.. I don't think anyone will go there with Cylus soon upon us."

He spoke of Scalvoris then and Faith looked at him with a smile. "You know Scalvoris, Knots?" He seemed like a good sort, in his own way and Faith was used to working with people just as rough around the edges. It didn't bother her, not in the slightest. "I work at the Order of the Adunih there, and own a restaurant." She hadn't been there long, she said. Just over an arc, but it was home.

There was no doubting it and, were Padraig here to tell them he would undoubtedly agree, Faith was a strange woman with a strange and often apparently random thought process. Random was the last thing her thoughts were, in fairness - she thought about things in a different way than others, but that was often to do with her rather unique upbringing. Or whatever one could call it. But there, surrounded by books and with a grizzled old pirate looking at her, Faith wondered something. In wondering it about the man, she had to ask, "You are from Scalvoris? What ended you up in Viden, Knots?" It seemed like a strange place for him but then, she had to admit, she didn't really know Viden as well as she could or might. She knew the Academy and this place, a few of the more well known areas, that was it.

And, of course, if Knots wanted to go back, she would help him. Of course she would.

To Linika, though, she turned her gaze and she smiled. "I am very grateful to you. I would like to, if we could, try and find out what we can about this symbol. It is possible," she said, as much to placate Knots as anything else, "that it is a symbol of an Immortal or a group of Mer, or.. I don't know. But it might provide a clue. No one is going to ask you to go anywhere or do anything." Looking at Linika she raised an eyebrow. "Do you know where we might find such books?"

In terms of the money, she would be paying Knots, and she would be surprisingly firm. Linika had done her a favour, but she did not need to do more. In fact, Faith said, the least that she could do was buy her friend a meal, if they had time. The offer was made to both the Naerrik and Knots and Faith would freely admit, if asked, that she did so in the hope that Knots might talk more freely when more relaxed. She would admit it freely if asked and so, of course, she hoped that no one did.
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

Linika
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Apothecary
Renown: +74
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal

Contribution

Milestones

Events

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 pm

The old man snorted with contempt, "Bah, 'every captain in Scalvoree docks..." His hand unconsciously went to toward his crotch, with a look as if to grip and yank on something there. He caught himself just before committing himself to this gesture, and with a clumsy clearing of his throat, scratched his thigh instead. He turned his head a bit to see Linika's furrowed brow, offset slightly by a twitch that hinted at her own effort to suppress a grin.

Looking back to Faith, his weathered face defeating the blush of embarrassment, he elaborated on his disdain, "Did you try Almund miss? And did you consider that most o' the more daring Caps are gonna weigh offshore and come in on a longboat? Them's what berth at the docks are countin' on rules and the benefits o' harbor to keep 'em safe, and not their wits alone. Lookee here..."

He availed himself of the complimentary pencils and paper provided by the library and scratched out a crude map of Almund. "Okay, this here's the waterfront, this here's where the docks end, and plain boardwalk and beach take over. Dont' take more'n ten steps and then look int' town. There's an alley goin' up that leads to shops you can only get to this way. There ain't no walkway down from above. When you run outta steps, you'll have gone one door too far on the left. The sign over the door you want will read 'Hyde and Seek".

He wrote this down, "Karel Hyde is a hard man, but he'll treat you fair, 'specially with you bein' both a woman and carryin'. But if'n you can get Miss Effie, the bone reader, to come up with a good read on your search, he'll go outta his way to 'commodate'cha. He puts hard stock in her readin's, Hyde does. He's a finder. The shop is all odds and ends. In fact, it could be he'd have more hard-ta-find books, but I can't say fer sure. But his real nels is comin' from findin' things lost. Could be he can help you."

A last look of hesitation stymied something caught on his tongue. Linika nudged him, though her face showed that she didn't know what it was he was holding back. "Uhh..." he ventured, "Don't mention my name if you see 'im though." Now the blush did register, "Ya asked why I come ta Viden...Well, Old Hyde is lookin' fer me too. 'Swhy I can't go back there. Honest, no man woulda never guessed she was that young....But I wish ya nuthin' but the best o' luck miss."
- Poison -

"Shelf Life'...What an ironically contradictory concept."

- Linika Amarinthine -
Faith
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Faith looked at Knots and his almost-gesture with a smile almost on her face. As a medic, as a charity worker and dealing with most poor Scalvoris had, she'd seen a lot. Before Padraig, she'd been a slave and some of the sights she'd seed there were beyond even Knots' ken, she'd wager. Strange that he should think she might be prudish about such but then, Faith supposed, people saw her and saw who she was now, not who she had once been and for that she was more than grateful.

Listening to Knots and what he said, she committed the words to memory and she looked at him with a slight smile. "No, sir, I did not." It was an easy enough admission, she did not consider Almund and she looked at where he'd drawn on the map. It was good to know, interesting and potentially very useful. "I've heard of the woman in the Bones," Faith said and she considered the Hyde and Seek. Had she seen it? No, she didn't think so, nor had she heard of it. But then - that meant very little in terms of anything which mattered. Knots' description of the shop itself sounded like somewhere Faith would usually be quick to tell Padraig about and she breathed in as an almost physical pain knotted in her chest. She was going to find him.

He was going to come home.

And then Knots told her that she wasn't to mention his name and why and Faith raised an eyebrow in some surprise. Well, how young she was or not, and why that was relevant sounded like a story and a half in and of itself, but the young human was heavy with child and heavy in her heart, too. She needed to go home, to take the books she had bought with her and plan the next thing to do in the only thing she could focus on. However, there was no doubting it, this man had helped her and he had done so despite his inclination and against his instincts. Faith stood and leaned forward to kiss him on the cheek. "Thank you, Knots. I understand that this hasn't been easy for you. But I am so grateful to you. Thank you."

To Linika then, Faith turned and she could not and did not hesitate. She hugged her and spoke in her usual soft and earnest tones. "Thank you, my friend. Thank you so much. Here, I .. I hope that you don't think me too forward." Reaching into her bag, she handed Linika a scroll. "It's got an enchantment on it. What you write on there, I see on mine. What I write on mine, you see on yours. If you ever need anything, write here and I will help every and any way I can." There were a hundred other things that the former slave would say, but she could not do so. She was not good with expressing emotions at the best of times and these were not that.

"Truly. I'm so grateful. Thank you." And when they had said their farewells and with all accounts settled, Faith left.
Off Topic
Echo scrolls paid for in PB ledger

Muse
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Contribution

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Your review is ready!

I loved the NPC in this one, and you two have such an interesting relationship—any friendship that has to begin a greeting with "Don't hit me!" has some story to tell, doesn't it? Anyway, thanks for a fun thread, stressful and emotional though Zi'da is for Faith.

Linkia

XP:
15 | These points cannot be used for magic.

Fame:
+5 for Going out of your way to help a foreigner in Viden, even through bribery

Loot

+1 Echo Scroll
-30gn

Injuries + Overstepping

N/A

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge:
Detection: Identifying Someone by the Books They are Holding
Detection: Too Hasty of a Denial Shows You Know Something
Endurance: Guilt Can be a Truly Debilitating Force
Intimidation: Leaning in Face to Face With a Glare
Investigation: Book Titles Can Tell a Lot About a Person's Goals
Investigation: Unlawful Sources Often Have Rare Information
Persuasion: Blending Threats and Bribes With Your Argument
Persuasion: Good Cop/Bad Cop Rolled into One
Psychology: Recognizing a Friend, and Actually Wanting to Help
Sociology: Knowing When NOT to Add Unrealistic Optimism
Xypha: Identify: Accent Recognition Can Start a Chain of Memories
Xypha: Identify: Sensing the Geographic Origin of an Unfamiliar Word

Other Knowledge:
Directions to "Hyde and Seek" Shop in Almund
Echo Scrolls and How They Work
Faith's Husband, Pad, is a Man of Many Scientific Talents
Ksamknai: Some Kind of Eastern Sea Monster
NPC: "Knots" - Scalvoran Ex-Pirate, Living in Viden
NPC: Linus: Proprietor of "The Devil's Advocate"
Viden Location: The Library
Viden Location: "The Devil's Advocate" - A Tavern

Faith

XP:
15 | These points cannot be used for magic.

Fame:
N/A

Loot

Thanks for keeping your PB ledger, too! ;)

Injuries + Overstepping

N/A

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge:
Discipline: Whatever it takes for love
Endurance: Being driven by your emotions in pregnancy leads to exhaustion.
Psychology: Friendship is born in the strangest situations
Psychology: Admitting weakness can be hard.
Research: Obscure sources can provide obscure information
Research: Putting together facts and fables
Writing: Trying to convey a sense of urgency in a letter.

Other Knowledge:
Directions to "Hyde and Seek" Shop in Almund
Echo Scrolls and How They Work
Faith's Husband, Pad, is a Man of Many Scientific Talents
Ksamknai: Some Kind of Eastern Sea Monster
NPC: "Knots" - Scalvoran Ex-Pirate, Living in Viden
NPC: Linus: Proprietor of "The Devil's Advocate"
Viden Location: The Library
Viden Location: "The Devil's Advocate" - A Tavern

If you've got a question or concern or if I've missed anything, don't hesitate to PM me!

Now that your review is complete,
don’t forget go back to your review post here and drop this image in!
[/googlefont]
Reviewed ByImage
Muse

Code: Select all

[center][style3=width:200px; margin:0px auto; padding:3px 5px; text-weight:bold; font-size:1em; line-height:1em; color:#EFEFEF;][googlefont=Almendra SC][align=left]Reviewed By[img]http://standingtrials.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=500&image_id=13200[/img][/align][align=right]Muse[/align][/googlefont][/style3][/center]

Return to “Viden Academy”