• Graded • The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Here is the repository of the story of the Fall of Emea. This forum contains all posts from "The Maze" and "Crack in the Wall" - the two events which led to the Fall.

Moderator: Pegasus

User avatar
Pegasus
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Posts: 6593
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:08 am
Race: Prophet
Profession: Desnind's Keeper
Renown: +1000 +
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 31

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Round 5
Image
Image
I can feel it coming in the air tonight...
...
Aesthetics, though, believes all Art
Intends to gratify the heart:
Rejecting disciplines like these,
Must I, then, go which way I please?......

Sleeping minds often find that there are snippets left behind. As though they seek to make more clear, what they saw, or what they hear. As the crow let out a cry, the slumbering man opened his eye. But yet, he had not fallen awake, sleeping still, his mouth agape...

The lights fell around the sleeping form of Anthropos Apteros - his time between worlds was lessening, he knew that. There was a moment, fast approaching, where his future ~ every future ~ hung in the balance. One of those coming towards him would choose. In choosing, they would decide. In deciding, they would act and that action?

..... it began a chain reaction which ended in judgement.

"Jim, are you seeing this?"
"...,"
"Jim? What's the... JIM!!"
"....."
"Immortals, Jim, say something!! MEDIC!"
"...."
"..."


Eliza was quick to action, decisive and sharp in her movements. She did not hesitate or pause, she lifted the mirror she held. It absorbed the light and the orb did not in any way impact her or her monkey friend. But it also exploded in a massive explosion of light. It was like an incredible display, a light show the sort of which had never been seen on Idalos. Briefly, just for a few trill, it blinded her, and she heard the monkey cry out, too.

Then, there was the music. Ghostly, haunting. Just out of her reach and beyond her grasp.

Which was a shame.

Because in there, the answer lay.

As her vision returned to her, Eliza noticed that it had gone black. Pitch, night time, midnight black. It had happened in a blink of an eye, or a very short space of time.

Darkness wrapped around Eliza and yet, she was immediately aware of the fact that there was someone else with her.

As, of course, was Patrick. Both of them had held up their mirrors, deflected the light. Patrick had just had almost the same experience as Eliza, using his mirror meant that there was a blinding white light, a brief moment of blindness and then, blinking his way into realizing that it was night time pitch darkness. As the pair of them blinked, they caught sight of one another, each noticing the other.

There was also, of course, that other little thing that they both noticed.

"Errr...." said the monkey. As well the monkey might, since said monkey was now, proportionally, lion-sized. Still very much a monkey but a very large one.

"What the...." squeaked the lion. The small, monkey-sized but perfectly proportioned, lion.

It seemed that their companions had... swapped. Come to that, did Eliza feel just a little bit taller? Maybe..just a smidge. And Patrick? Was he a touch shorter? Imagination, surely...

"It's simple really," their two strangely sized animal companions suddenly spoke in an eerie, perfect unison. "A moment in time. A choice. Choose a direction," it seemed that left or right were their options there, "Choices now lead to consequences later.... "

Before them were two choices, indeed. Left or right?

As their companions motioned, both Eliza and Patrick might notice....both of them had crystals which were, strangely, glowing. Hmmm.....



Rewards Achieved Last Round
  1. Both of you: All Must Do Objectives from Round 4 met.

OOC Info

Things to note!
  • Sincere apologies: for the delay. Normal service has now been resumed....
  • I will post a plot post again this time next week: Wednesday 5th December
  • For this round your companion may be NPCd by you in your post.
  • Oh, yes. One last thing. your companions have swapped size... lion sized monkey, monkey sized lion..... how odd....

Objectives

 ! Message from: Must-Do Objectives
Please note: You can use items you have previously picked up - they might help you!
  1. Explicitly state what you are going to do (if anything) about this whole "swap"
  2. Explicitly state which direction you are going. PLEASE NOTE: You need to both have crystals in order for you to progress (one each). From this point on, all your posts will be together, so this is your new (and final!) thread!
 ! Message from: Can Do Objectives
Write your post with every sentence starting with only vowels.

word count: 739
Image
"Red in hoof and claw....."
User avatar
Eliza Soule
Approved Character
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:20 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Artist
Renown: +213
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 1

Events

Re: The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:48 pm

Image
One trill, a bouncing ball made of light came careening right at her. And the next, Eliza was bedazzled by what seemed like the light of a thousand suns. As it happened, she'd thrown up her arm to protect her eyes, shouted "Eberhardt!" to her little companion, and then everything around her went dark. It wasn't an ordinary dark either. All the while, she'd been treated to a light show, before suddenly, there was nothing. It was a darkness as thick as split pea soup.

In the middle of it all, between the flashes of light and the dark as pitch result, the young mortalborn heard music. Almost there, but not, eerie and out of reach. As she lowered her arm and blinked in order to clear her head, it was still dark. It was only the glowing crystal in her hand that reassured her, she hadn't gone permanently blind. And that was also strange, come to think of it, since for the life of her she couldn't remember pulling it out of her pocket where she'd stored it. "Eberhardt?" she whispered, hoping that the monkey was alright.

It seemed that while she and Eberhardt had come through it intact, they weren't alone. "Oh," she said and smiled a little when she recognized Patrick. "It's you again." And then she took a good look at them all. Eberhardt seemed to have grown by quite a lot, while Patrick's lion had grown smaller. It occurred to her that a lion wasn't nearly as ferocious looking when he was the size of a house cat. On the other hand, no matter how friendly, a monkey the size of a mountain gorilla seemed much more worrisome than before.

And then she took a good look at Patrick and frowned curiously. "I think that maybe," Eliza said, looking for the most sensitive approach, "I think I remember you being taller." Apparently there wasn't a more diplomatic way to say it.

Eberhardt and the lion seemed as surprised by the change as she was...And what about her? After what had happened with the mirror that she'd had in her hand, she opted out of taking a look. And the two, monkey and lion, were acting decidedly strange, as if something or someone else was acting and speaking through them. Again, it appeared that she and Patrick were required to choose a direction. Although this time, it appeared that they'd need to choose one, both of them together.

"I wonder if these," she said, lifting the crystal in her hand, "would behave in a different way depending on the direction we choose." Otherwise? "Are you partial to one direction over the other? If you're not, and I'm not either, I'm happy for you to choose or we could flip a coin," Eliza suggested. "If heads, we go right, and tails, left?"
word count: 492
User avatar
Patrick
Approved Character
Posts: 1466
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:39 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Trouble
Renown: +460
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 23

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 am

Image
There came the urge to tense up the quicker that light drew when it soared towards both him and Eric, and yet just as soon as the mirror proved his shield to ward the object off; a burst of luminescence cloaked his entire proximity in conclusion. The Rharnian clenched tight with eyes buried into the crevice of his inner arm, hopeful that whatever took place wouldn't mean to do him any real harm. Brightness overwhelmed him with the faint sounds, rhythmatic chimes that he could've only assumed instrumental the moment his hearing registered it. But in daring to face the blindness, he found pitch black awaited him as a result.

Had he heard Lush cry out? It sounded as though whatever happened affected them, and now that they were elsewhere (again) Patrick first thought to recover all sense. This whole maze was just getting disorienting now, and he began to question how close to the center he was actually getting. But thankfully he wasn't so alone when he looked to observe his surroundings, as before several yards away happened to be the lovely Miss Valentina from before. Her monkey companion had- "Whoa." Patrick suddenly realized with wide eyes that the creature grew in mass compared to before, which quickly became coincidence that Lush the Lion suddenly shrunk to about Eberhardt's size.

Now that he noticed their size difference, he felt a little less higher than before when he reached Valentina. Had the lady been wearing heels? Nooo... Surely there had to be a better reason as to why Patrick dwarfed her at the moment? "Fancy seeing you again." He remarked to her as she greeted him, undoubtedly aware of the fact they were different sizes as well. "My guess is that it's a result of... whatever weirdness is going on here." As poorly worded that was on his part, Patrick figured that the maze and something about it played a role. As to whether it would last or not, well he certainly hoped it wouldn't; and determined the sooner they reached the end the better.

In her hand was the crystal she displayed with an interesting query, one that made Patrick look to his own crystal when he listened to the idea. "Only one way to find out I guess." Though he didn't know which way to go and, now of course, he wanted to possibly stick with the lady this time around. Not that Eric wasn't bad company of course, just slightly difficult to fully comprehend; what with that accent and all. Plus Valentina was a much prettier sidekick to accompany, one he quickly smirked to after suggesting that perhaps a coin flip would suffice. "Sounds good to me love, I've no better idea with picking the direction."

Patrick could tell Ri'ku was buzzing with aggravation as she sighed, Dominek merely gave a slight shake of his head towards his younger brother. But the Rharnian hardly acknowledged them, as he was far too busy fishing out his shimmering gold coin. Last time he flipped this nel it determined his fate in a more horrid outcome, here though it would hopefully serve better purpose for the moment; if not lead them to a more pleasant situation instead. With a flick of his thumb he caused the coin to whirl into the air, and caught it shortly after gravity brought it's descent back to the ground. With hand still closed over it he looked to Valentina once more. "Heads is right tails is left? Let's see which way luck leads us."

With the hand opened to reveal the surface of the coin, he looked to see the head side of the coin first. It would seem they were to go right, that is if the lady wanted to accompany him. "Guess we're going right then. Shall we?" He offered for her to go first out of common courtesy, but if she preferred he'd take the lead down their next path.
"Pat", "Ri", "Dom"
word count: 683
"Freedom is everything."


NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Image
User avatar
Pegasus
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Posts: 6593
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:08 am
Race: Prophet
Profession: Desnind's Keeper
Renown: +1000 +
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 31

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Image
Image
But my dreams, they aren't as empty, as my conscience seems to be...
I have hours only lonely. My love is vengeance that's never free...
Such reasoning is only true
If we accept the classic view,
Which we have no right to assert,
According to the Introvert.

His absolute pre-supposition
Is – Man creates his own condition:
This maze was not divinely built,
But is secreted by my guilt.

Anthropos Apteros grumbled in his sleep, almost awake and he saw them. Each of them as they grew closer and closer. He could almost taste them and he quivered with excitement and anticipation. They were on their way and soon, one of them would replace him. Become him.

And he would, at last, be free. Blue eyes fluttered, almost open for a moment and then, closed once again.

"What do you think happened here?"
"I don't know. But I'm going to miss Jim"
"Yeah, he was a good sort"
"Definitely"
"Whatever did this, it was some kind of monster, though"
"Yeah"
"I hope they catch him, soon."
"Yeah"


The monkey the size of a lion turned to Eliza and gave a large - and very tooth-filled - grin. "What did you two say?" The monkey motioned to the mortalborn and Patrick. "Why're we choosing a direction, say where now?" It seemed that her monkey believed that the people talking had been the.. well.. people. Meanwhile, the monkey-sized lion nodded solemnly to Patrick. "The monkey's right," the lion squeaked. "You two sounded like it was one voice. How'd you do that?"

They both held on to their crystals, both noticing that said item was glowing. As they chose the direction right, both of the crystals started to thrum and the light within pulsed. It was a slow, pulsing heartbeat and the two of them might notice that their crystals glowed and pulsed in unison.

And then, they turned.

There, in front of them, was an impossibly tall wall. A dead-end, the like of which mazes are, of course, prone to having. There was a wide open space before this dead end, where the maze opened up. Large enough for ten people to sit around a table and have a picnic, or for a group of children to play a game of bladder-ball, that space was. Wide and open and it most certainly could be inviting.

Of course, it wasn't.

It was dark and filled with brambles and gnarled roots, twisted vines and the overwhelming smell was of decay and death.

The two animals with them again spoke in unison in that strange voice they shared. "Nearly there. Someone approaches Anthropos Apteros. He will awaken."

There, in front of them, was a path to the very middle of the clearing - it was path-like, at least. Certainly they could go that way if they chose. Both the monkey and the lion moved, walking solemnly and slowly down that bramble-covered and twisted path. Then, they stopped when they got to roughly the middle and they turned to look at the two.

Again, they spoke in unison.

The centre that you cannot find
Is known to your unconscious Mind;
You have no reason to despair
Because you are already there.

Your problem is how not to will;
They move most quickly who stand still;
You are only lost until you see
You're lost because you want to be."


At that point, as the final syllable echoed and reverberated around them, everything fell silent and still. The animals stood, unmoving, no leaves or brambles moved and there was no wind. No sounds permeated the stillness and even their breaths were muted.

The world, it seemed, waited.


Rewards Achieved Last Round
  1. You both met all "Must Do" objectives!
  2. Eliza met the "Can Do" Objective from last round. Every sentence started with a vowel. And good work too! A reward will be yours.

OOC Info

Things to note!
  • Sincere apologies: for the delay. Normal service has now been resumed....
  • I will post a plot post again this time next week: Friday 28th December
  • For this round your companion may be NPCd by you in your post.
  • You may post as many times as you like between now and my next post. Please make sure, however, to let me know very clearly what your characters DO

Objectives

 ! Message from: Objectives
The next post I make will take some of you into the middle of the maze to see the Wingless Man. It will have consequences for all, from both action and inaction. Where will you be? Please make sure to tell me what your character is doing - detail is important.

word count: 799
Image
"Red in hoof and claw....."
User avatar
Eliza Soule
Approved Character
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:20 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Artist
Renown: +213
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 1

Events

Re: The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:54 pm

Image
That was it then. Eliza and Patrick would head off to the right. By now, the young mortalborn figured that one direction was as good as any other. There seemed to be surprises around every corner, after all. So when he offered to allow her to go first, she smiled, shrugged her delicate shoulders and agreed. Eliza didn't mind going first. It meant that she'd be the first to spot any dangers ahead. Or on the other hand, the first to trip and fall into a hole in the ground with sharpened sticks at the bottom. But then sometimes the really scary things came from behind.

When Eberhardt and the lion stopped and questioned them however, Eliza paused and frowned curiously. "That's strange. Before, the two of you sounded as if you were one. Maybe it means their fates are tied together?" she said, looking back at Patrick. "And maybe ours are too now?" It seemed even more likely, now that she thought about it. The crystal in her hand was pulsing, like a heartbeat that matched the other, held in Patrick's hand. At any rate, they'd arrived at a dead in. Or something very much like it, and not a pleasant one either.

The hedge mazes that she'd read about as a child were usually romantic places, where lovers fondly stalked one another through the greenery, eventually coming together in the center. A place that was usually like a welcome oasis, filled with tinkling fountains, comfortable benches, roses and frolicking birds and bunnies. Not this place though. This was nothing like those mazes. And there went Eberhardt and the lion again, talking as if they were one, and as if it was someone else talking through them. It was eerie and Eliza shivered a little, though not from the cold, and pulled her cloak tighter around her.

Listening to what the pair said, Eliza frowned again, chewing at her bottom lip as she did it. Troubling, that's what it was. She really didn't want to walk down that path, and somehow she got the idea that they shouldn't. Or at least they didn't need to. "Maybe," she considered. "Well it's a dream, isn't it? Like Emea? Have you ever had a dream where you started out in one place, ended up in another but you never walked or ran there?" she asked Patrick. "We could try that couldn't we? Wish, or will ourselves to the middle, I mean."

That was the thing, she thought, and maybe they ought to hold hands while they did it, since their fates seemed to her to be tied at the moment. Hold hands, she thought, reaching out to take Patrick's in hers...unless he'd rather she didn't, of course. But assuming he was game, she closed her eyes, focused on the place they were intended to go, concentrating, willing them to just be there. But not just willing for her own sake, but for both of them.
word count: 510
User avatar
Patrick
Approved Character
Posts: 1466
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:39 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Trouble
Renown: +460
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 23

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:41 am

Image
The episode of uncertainty in Patrick's eyes became obvious in regards to the animals reaction, as he could only remain clearly baffled that they sounded like one unified voice. Did they really? Had that been just now? All the more reasoning for speculation to occur, and while Miss Valentina seemed to have an idea; Patrick honestly couldn't wrap his head around the faintest shred of it's logic. Then again who could in a place like this, what little made sense barely did so without any real connection; the only viable 'reason' being that this was a dream-like place. Emean for certain... "Tied together or not, shit's gotten weirder the deeper we've delved in." Truer words spoken from the Rharnian, as he couldn't even chart out his map anymore. He needn't even bother trying since they jumped from place to place, but something in his gut told him they were getting deeper.

Patrick gave an honest if not faintly hardy grin towards the woman, upon seeing that she would take the lead in their next direction. It was nice really to actually have someone in present company once more, someone familiar (if only ever slightly) to follow from the rear in this strange place. Admittedly the choice wasn't without it's meritable faults either, as Patrick had an admirable view of the woman from the back when she led on. Needless to say he felt little worry over potential dangers ahead, in fact he held great confidence in her ability to detect such things. Probably because it meant less problems on his shoulders, in the event he would've made a horrid choice that affected both of them down the road.

In keeping up with Valentina he sometimes checked behind to make sure nothing followed, and one could easily see the look of disappointment once a dead end appeared in sight. The area seemed more wider and open but unattended in regards to care, for the vegetation and land itself were ripe with the stench of decay. Once the more narrower part of the landscape came into play their 'spirit guides' seemed to take lead, reaching the centerpiece of this place as Valentina and Pat slowly stopped relatively nearby. Sure enough more cryptic and poetic words were made, and a flashback of earlier pronoun games led the Rharnian to grimace just a bit. Really now. They were supposed to figure out how to reach the center from there, and doing so with as minimal movement as possible? That sounded too literal to swallow now that he thought about it...

"Are you fekkin' ser-" Val's dulcet tones led him to quiet as he listened to her, curious about her perspective on the matter since his was rather plain. Hang on.... she wanted to hold his hand?! Wasn't that what... couples did. Why on Idalos would holding her hand bring them any closer towards the center? "I mean... Sure. Sounds like it could happen." He remarked almost with a faint sigh, clearly not going to press any argument into this. This decayed and foreboding part of the maze really got under his skin come to think of it, and walking blindly into it while holding hands seemed like the oddest way of doing it. But then again they were in Emea right? Oddities were sort of a normality here, as he learned quickly with the GameKeeper's Labyrinth. If they were similar in any means, even in nature, then perhaps the idea would prove more successful than he gave credit for.

Patrick took her hand gently but also more so, protectively, as perhaps one would to another if they were lovers. Even if these two weren't Patrick wanted to ensure he'd kept a good grip, one build that 'bridge' which connected them physically as well as mentally. While he didn't wish to follow her blind, to avoid doing so risked being left behind in this instance. Seeing where he would go allowed for judgement, judgement came from knowledge and fact; and with little of those to determine the outcome? Surely the destination would remain beyond.

Already he stubbed a toe due to the darkness behind his eyelids, but he still walked in fair balance towards the pull in his arm. "I've got your back." He reassured both Valentina as well as himself as they marched forward, his hand held behind him as though he wanted another to take it. Probably because he did. Instinctively more or less Patrick wanted to make sure his brother traveled there too, and as he felt cold air tease the sweat of his palms; he knew well enough the older brother shared the sentiment. Wherever the hell they'd go, Patrick intended to provide any support necessary to see this to the end.
"Pat", "Ri", "Dom"
word count: 820
"Freedom is everything."


NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Image
User avatar
Pegasus
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Posts: 6593
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:08 am
Race: Prophet
Profession: Desnind's Keeper
Renown: +1000 +
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 31

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Image
Image
A morning mare rides, in the starless shutters of my eyes....
The spirit of a misplaced childhood is rising to speak his mind...
If this should fail, perhaps I should. As certain educators would,
Content myself with the conclusion; in theory there is no solution.

All statements about what I feel. Like I-am-lost, are quite unreal:
My knowledge ends where it began; a hedge is taller than a man.”

Anthropos Apteros' eyelids fluttered, his head twisted from side to side and he cried out in equal parts pain and ecstasy. As they drew closer, he felt his physical body form more solidly, become more real.

Then, with a loud gasp, he sat up.

Blue eyes regarded the world.

The pair of them felt their fundamental selves return, order restored for the duo. And more than that, they did what their companions told them. Fighting their way through the brambles so far, they then both stopped and focused on not being lost, but being... there. Hand in hand, together they moved. Or, rather, they stayed still and then, they were there.

Wherever there was. They wished themselves to it and there they were ... A clearing in the Maze, as it had been before, but no brambles or thorns this time.

Just a man.

Or, perhaps, not just a man. This became clear as the wings he did not know he had unfurled behind him, wrapping him in majestic glory and Anthropos Apteros looked at the two of them in surprise.

The wingless man (for what are we if not simply what we believe ourselves to be?) looked at them in confusion as he stood from the ground where he had, apparently, been sleeping. His eyes were blue, the pale blue of ice over water and he seemed at once very young and yet, somehow, ancient. His skin was alabaster pale and his hair as white as snow. He seemed to be human, other than the wings, and his expression was, quite simply, confused.

"Where am I?" He asked, a frown marring his marble features. And who are you?"

The animals with them moved, the monkey and lion were quickly beside their companions. Neither of them spoke but both Eliza and Patrick would see that their animal was very much with them. The Wingless Man tilted his head as he looked at the four beings in front of him.

"What's happening?" He asked. Then, seeming to focus, his blue eyes regarded the pair. "Am I dreaming? I've had so many nightmares, I feel like I've been trapped in them forever"

Behind him, the mortals might notice two shadowy, not-quite there figures. One on his left, one on his right. A woman and a man. Similar, yet different. The form of the Wingless Man shimmered, as though being pulled in both directions at once.

"Or were they just dreams?" Anthropos Apteros asked. "Dreams or nightmares, I don't recall. Three choices. Dream or nightmare, light or dark, desire or duty. Which must I pick? Must I?"


To this orphan of heartbreak, disillusioned and scarred
A refugee, refugee.


Rewards Achieved Last Round
  1. Congratulations! You have arrived at the center of the Maze.

OOC Info

Things to note!
  • I will post a plot post again this time next week: Sunday 6th December
  • For this round your animal companion may be NPCd by you in your post - they are as confused as you.
  • The next round is likely to be the last one. You may speak to the Wingless Man as much as you like - for this round only I will go back to checking - and responding - every day. Please note that I will only respond to conversation so, if you're going to perform an action, the response to that will be on 6th December. If you ask the animal NPC something which they would know, I'll control them in the answer, but please assume that they are just as confounded as you are.
  • I will respond each day - you may also, of course, speak with each other as much as you like.

Objectives

 ! Message from: Objectives
The next post I make will, in all probability, be the final posting round. There will be a decision made by one out of all of you in these threads (who has already been decided by your actions) whose decision will determine the outcome of the thread.
Therefore, your MUST DO objectives are:
Choose one from each of:
Dreams or Nightmares.
Light or Dark
Desire or Duty
Please state your choices IC, by using the words, even if your PC doesn't realise they are choosing... just have them use the words!

word count: 805
Image
"Red in hoof and claw....."
User avatar
Eliza Soule
Approved Character
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:20 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Artist
Renown: +213
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 1

Events

Re: The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Image
When one had lived and breathed for more than two centuries, it was tempting to think that there'd be fewer and fewer things over time to wonder about. But much to Eliza's delight, she'd found that not to be true at all. Over and over again, there were things that managed to surprise and confound her. Of course the idea that their two animal companions seemed to speak with one voice, as did, it appeared, she and Patrick, was actually more concerning than it was delightful. Nonetheless, she seemed for the most part to have taken it in stride.

Patrick certainly had a colorful way of describing their circumstances. But either way, things were what they were. Strange. Like the oddest of dreams and they were the ones that were walking through it. She was as content to take the lead, as she'd have been if the roles were reversed. "It's a roll of the dice isn't it?" she remarked with a smile as they walked along. "You bring up the rear, or I do. I'm not sure it affects the outcome either way." He did seem hesitant however when she suggested what their next move might be. Or was he uncomfortable with the idea of taking her hand, she wondered. "Don't worry," Eliza said. "I won't bite."

On they went, and when he promised that he'd have her back, Eliza uttered her thanks and glanced back, only to discover that Patrick had his eyes shut tight. She grinned a little to herself, said nothing of it, and forward she went, tugging him along behind her. And then rather than risking a stroll through the brambles, she wished and imagined them there at the center instead. And though she'd hoped it would work, it still took her a little off guard that it did. In spite of herself, she let out a gasp of delight and stopped short of a celebratory jig. After all they were no longer alone.

"You can open your eyes now Patrick," she whispered, before turning wide eyes upon the figure that must have been this mysterious Anthropos Apteros. She'd never seen a man quite like that in all of her arcs. But this was a dream after all. Probably. "My name is Eliza," she said, realizing that she'd as good as adopted the name Valentina, which wasn't her own. Turning to Patrick briefly, she shrugged. "Explorers. Valentina and Eberhardt...It's complicated, and had seemed like a good idea at the time." And ironic too, considering what was happening here, and the fact that she'd never quite finished the story and told her monkey companion exactly what fate had befallen those intrepid explorers. It was a pseudo apology, of sorts, for having not corrected the misconception earlier. "And you're Anthropos?"

As for the dreamer's question, Eliza chewed her lip and considered it. "I wonder if that's for you to decide?" she suggested. Dream, reality, or nightmare that was. There were those two, disconcerting and shadowy figures however, and their placement reminded her of a game, tug of war. But not the innocent kind that children played at. "If you don't mind my saying so, I think you should." Pick. "They might never leave you alone if you don't. And," she added. "I think the choice needs to be yours, not ours."

She could only answer for herself after all, and even though she'd happened into this maze in a way that was out of her own control, she'd never truly felt trapped at all. Not like this poor winged man seemed to. "I can tell you what I would choose. For me, dreams are always better than nightmares, even though nightmares are sometimes a warning. Still, I'd choose dreams," Eliza said. "Darkness is just the absence of light. I'd choose light." Desire or duty however, that was more tricky.

"There's all sorts of duty,"
she considered. "Duty to family, duty to place or country, and so on. All sorts of desire too...Hunger in need of feeding, revenge, wealth, physical pleasure, and so on. The want for a loved one. Which is love, isn't it? And if you love something, then a sense of duty comes with it." All of that had sounded much better and more sensible in her head. Before she'd actually said it out loud. Well the sentiment was still there. "If it was me choosing, I'd choose desire."
word count: 765
User avatar
Patrick
Approved Character
Posts: 1466
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:39 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Trouble
Renown: +460
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 23

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:48 am

Image
For someone like Patrick to think holding another's hand would magically carry him elsewhere? Hell even the idea of a physical connection felt distantly foreign, and a sure tell sign that he'd been cursed a Sessfiend too long. To him such a simple thing still felt dangerous, yet at the same time benign once he felt her fingers entwined with his. "Thank the Fates for that." He remarked briefly under his breath, at the mentioning of her having no inclination 'to bite' really. To be fair Patrick allowed himself to fall for such tricks before, now though he liked to gauge his risks before seeing what rewards he reaped.

Valentina didn't seem like such a risk but then again, trekking blindly into a field of thorns wasn't really smart either. Still where Pat's own grasp and perception of this world failed him, others could maybe find easier success with carrying onward instead. Thus when he felt a shift in what he perceived as 'reality' for the moment, he stood there with a slightly firmer grasp at her hand. Perhaps he might've considerably clenched too, hopeful that nothing was going to jump out at him; and wrought a terror he'd yet again brought upon himself several times over. But no... Valentina's voice warranted safety in where they went, and sure enough the Rharnian opened his eyes to the new environment.

Were they not here before?? It looked the same just plain and dainty, compared to the barren spot they were just at moments ago. "Ilaren's perky tits..." He muttered as he first looked around before focusing on the man before them. Did Patrick still hold the lady's hand though? Only if she allowed him to at this point, for whatever reason though it provided loads of comfort. Definitely sure tell that he'd gone too long, when it came to actual companionship between anybody else he'd come close to. But they weren't fast friends just now were they? As strange of a thought as it was, Patrick actually sort of hoped that'd be the case; however something more important demanded their attention.

The man they'd came to meet at the center of all this mess, the one who dreamed possibly lifetimes in the heart of this labyrinth. "Yeah, that." He agreed with the 'explorers' answer well enough. Valentina answered the first of his questions with brief introductions, but with the name Eliza instead of what Patrick knew her as. So... she either used an alias or nickname, a curious thing to do when one preferred to hide their real identity. He figured the lady had her reasons after all, since they were lost in an unusual place. "Patrick." He answered in turn with the name sharing, curious about the individual before them nonetheless.

Anthropos. Just what sort of stories did he have to tell, what in Idalos had happened to trap him here. There came an order of questions, or choices rather, that he wanted the two to pick. The arrangement was something Patrick furrowed his eyebrows at in thought, clearly perplexed with what the significance was in their meaning. Naturally it seemed as though Vale- er... Eliza knew how to answer both tactfully but with heart in her words. Truly he would've marveled longer at how considerate she seemed to be, leaving it truly to the man himself to determine his situation; while adding incentive thought on where her choices would lie.

"I've had my share of them too." Patrick finally responded after measurable thought. "Nightmares that is. But that's half of the reality I know most days..." Finally the Rharnian crossed his arms with head downwards to contemplate further. "This seemed more like a dream to me in comparison, before I presume anything though..." He looked to Eliza real quick before focusing on Anthropos. "This lady here speaks on greater magnitudes of wisdom, better than I ever could really, and you should listen better to her than to me!" On that note Patrick continued his little rant and reasoning behind his choices. "Dreams are what we need in our lives, they keep us motivated and even help us fight the nightmares. Light is...."

A second look at the halo over his left wrist led to another moment of silence. "Light is what guides us through the dark, something I've been needing for a long time now. Something that'll hopefully illuminate the path I'm on, since I've felt more in the dark than anything. Desire is what I feel most strongest about though," He admitted that with a smile, "desire is where passion and freedom take root. It's where you're free to follow the whims of your heart and soul, and it's also the most devastating aspect of life that can shape you."

In short he agreed with Eliza on all accounts, even if he felt his own path took him down other roads. "Least that's how I see it... kinda." He finished with another puzzled look shot to the air above them.
"Pat", "Ri", "Dom"
word count: 868
"Freedom is everything."


NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Image
User avatar
Pegasus
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Posts: 6593
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:08 am
Race: Prophet
Profession: Desnind's Keeper
Renown: +1000 +
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 31

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Maze: Round 5: Eliza & Patrick

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Image
Image


And so, it ended.

...... here

Please go there.
word count: 16
Image
"Red in hoof and claw....."
Post Reply

Return to “The Fall”