Battle of The Hotlands Claypan: Eastern Front

(Shesha, Uiyaejn, Yuli)

A blistering desert that stretches for hundreds of miles around Nashaki, with very little relief from the baking heat.

Moderators: Squirrel, Pegasus, Maltruism

Shesha
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Secrets
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 2

Contribution

RP Medals

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:01 pm

Ymiden 15, Probably

Fought against Nashaki Forces. Won. They tried to use a thrice-cursed necromanser against us, but they did a shit job of it. Dead-heads got more of them than of us. Ha! Arcana is okay, but a mace solves most problems. If all else fails, hit the mage.

Fighting is done. Few mostly disabled dead-heads or slow Nashaki runners to clear up. Got rotated out for a breather obviously. Felt good to fight. Feels less good now. Still pleased, just hurt! Nothing to keep me out of the next fight though. And hungry! Theres a few dead horses around. They are starting to get our supplies sorted, if they don't do it soon I might just eat a horse. Would rather fish, but unless there are sand fish, not going to happen.

Are there sand fish?

Ha! If so, maybe there are sand sharks! Hope not! All this blood would probably draw them for miles! Sharks are mostly big sharp fish though, so we'd probably just eat them. Probably less work killing one shark that comes to you than having to catch many smaller fish.

Messenger coming. Maybe new walking orders. Can hardly use this bloody stylus anyway, still can't feel half my hand. Probably just a pinched nerve. Nothing to bother a healer over.

Haven't found Owin Ooowihin Uwaain Twenty-one yet. Healers are still busy. I will. Hope she got through okay without me there to mind her.

Shesha closed her journal and stuck it beneath her armour. It was already rather battered, scratched and sweat stained, but that was all right. After confirming her identity to the messenger, she opened the proffered scroll, eyes squinting slightly and finger trailing down the page as she read.

"Ha! Guess we did all right!"

She commented with a sharp toothed grin. Despite the fatigue that set in more and more the longer she stayed still without bursts of adrenaline to keep her going, despite the soreness the seemed to have set in everywhere and the outright pain from a few of her injuries, she pulled herself up to a straighter, more assertive, militaristic stance.

Not that she'd ever doubted herself of course, but it was good that they saw so quickly how brilliant she was at this. Possibly it also had something to do with the losses they'd taken, but whatever. That wasn't something to concern herself with.

Wiping a blood, sweat, ash and sand covered face with an equally grubby hand, she put her helmet back on and rose from where she'd been resting on the sands, heading for the Centurions tent. It was of course a hub of activity. The battle might be over, the war was not.

At attention, she saluted the guards posted at the door.

"Legionnaire Shesha, summoned by Centurion Gardise."

She held out the scroll to be verified.
word count: 495
Uiyaejn
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Healer
Renown: +42
Character Sheet
Secrets
Medal count: 6

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 pm

Life is a journey, that was what Uiyaejn believed; a journey of stepping stones preparing the countless souls of Idalos for the journey beyond their new beginning, their death. The war was over but to say it had been won would have been a lie, since the start the Sev'ryn girl neglected to understand the concept of choosing a side. She only wished to deliver the dying from death and the living unto their next journey. Regardless of the actions that she brought upon the battlefield their fates would have been the same, her mistake lay in the fear she felt toward a snake. Uiyaejn's fear for the Raskithecal that stood bowing to the centurion with the promise of promotion had forced the young healer's heart from her beliefs.

Regret...

Uiyaejn was not proud of the actions that took place on the battlefield and with a heavy heart had silenced her optimism. The war had taught her a great lesson through the days, life wasn't so simple as to serve right or wrong on platter. Humanity and creatures of the earth alike had nothing but what they believed in to hold on to and the Raskithecal were strong in their beliefs. Following behind a warrior whose status would soon be known among the ranks of the legion for prowess, the humble little girl that had made her first journey away from home gave her companion a gentle smile.

"Uiyaejn," the exotic rasp of her voice uttered to the guard as she lifted her own scroll "I too seek to meet the Centurion."

Few words were exchanged between Shesha and Uiyaejn, just as it had always been. They had more often been comrades in silence than friends that chattered and had deep conversations. Other than communicating combat manouvers there was little space for words, Uiyaejn had quickly discovered that Shesha like a lot of the world had very little interest in what she had to say about it and thus, her tongue was often better kept checked. A lesson she had learned from her brother, the hard way.

'Remember the lessons you learn in this life little yae, I feel we should soon move on' the crystalline call of her soul echoed through her thoughts.

"Your journey continues... I am glad," she uttered, lightly placing her hand upon her comrade's arm "my instincts tell me you will have much of a part to play in the battles ahead."
word count: 419
Basilisk
Developer - Staff (TL)
Developer - Staff (TL)
Race: Prophet
Templates
Medal count: 16

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Events

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:43 am

Shesha and Uiyaejn were left waiting for only a moment before they were both admitted into the Centurions tent. Vierka was going through a great deal of paperwork, with a very small stack set to the side. Next to her desk was a glowing brazier with a brand set into it, heating up. The Centurion looked up at the soldier and the healer, then smiled at both of them.

"Welcome, both of you. You both did good work today. Shesha, you show a great deal of potential for one so young. You've managed to garner yourself a great deal of attention." she said, her voice sounding a bit tired. After a moment, she turned to Uiyaejn. "Ah, Ooyen. You've been doing well as wel. Well enough that we're willing to extend you an offer we don't normally extend to our hirelings." Vierka's accent rendered the sound of Uiyaejn's name a bit oddly, but the Centurion had learned proper pronunciation. Then she grinned widely with some amusement. "But it's not really me that wanted to see you." she said, standing up and saluting to someone behind the pair.

"At ease, Centurion Gardise." Raskalarn said, stepping into the tent. The empress was wearing black armor like the soldiers, but hers visibly of better quality. It was somewhat bulkier, for one, and it didn't look quite like steel and despite its bulk, the Immortal wore it easily. In addition to the armor, there was a noticeable aura around Raskalarn, the sense that she could command the mountains to bow or the seas to part with a reasonable expectation of obedience, as well as a sense that she would stop at nothing to achieve her goals.

The Divine Empress walked into the tent and stood next to Vierka's desk, reaching out to pull the brand from the brazier. It was in the shape of a single sword, and the empress looked at it as she spoke, watching the waves of heat rise from it. "Vierka is right, Shesha. You have caught more attention that most rookies. And your friend is right, you will pay a significant part in future battles, if you keep sight of what drives you to excel." she said, her tone calm, before she flicked a glance at Uiyaejn.

"And what of you, Uiyaejn? Will you join my Empire yet?" she asked, her tone no more than idle curiosity, though once she had her answer, the Immortal nodded and turned back to Shesha. "Stand at attention, Quinctus." she ordered, her tone now switching to a command.
word count: 441
Shesha
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Character Sheet
Secrets
Medal count: 2

Contribution

RP Medals

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:29 pm

Shesha grinned as Uiyaejn approached. That was one of the problems of being a soldier in the Empire. You might have individuals you'd accepted ownership of, and were therefor responsible for protecting, but you couldn't always be right there with them. She had an obligation, a responsibility to fight, to spread the Empires control, to beat back chaos and bring order and stability to all. But while she was on the front lines, she was not guarding Uiyaejn. That was when you had to trust your fellow soldiers. Trust that those in the rear were doing their job. And that was the Empire really. You all worked together, trusted and bled for each other to protect what needed protecting. One day they would conquer everything, and then it would be safe. Until then, they fought.

Today at least, trust had been rewarded, and Shesha was relieved to see 'her' healer was still in one piece, if looking a bit troubled. She might have asked what was wrong, but not only would it have been inappropriate when going to address the Centurion, but as frustrating as it was, the truth was that half the time she had no idea what the little healer was on about and probably couldn't have helped. Shesha was an extremely direct creature. Give her problems that could be solved by a mace and she was happy. Philosophy left her baffled and her literal, logical replies and thought process left philosophers infuriated.

So with very few words exchanged, the two were ushered into the tent. Gardise looked tired, but this was understandable. There was often a crash, a low after a battle, and while a grunt could be done as soon as the fighting was, a Commander had to keep thinking about the war. Still, this was a burden that although many Raskithecal were not in fact suited for, nearly any of them would shoulder. Shesha stayed at attention as the Centurion spoke. There were a few moments when she could have responded, interjected, but aches aside, Shesha had fallen back into the dealing with superiors game. One of the rules to that game, was that you did not speak unless instructed of specifically prompted. Sometimes gaps would be left, to see if you would fill them, this was a trap. Still, she couldn't help but let a little of her confusion show when the Centurion said it was not her who'd wanted to see them.

You could almost see Raskalarns presence having the same effect as seven pots of coffee and an ice cold shower on Shesha. The feeling might have been short lived, but while it was there, the exhaustion of combat was forgotten and if she'd been at attention before, her back could now be used as a ruler. Every muscle tense, complaints forgotten. Shesha had in some ways complicated opinions about Raskalarn. She didn't actually really care about the religious aspect. Ooo, Raskalarn was an Immortal, magic blah de blah. She cared a lot, however, about the fact that Raskalarn lead the Empire and was the ultimate authority in the Army. She worshiped Raskalarn the Conqueror and Commander, even while giving no shits about Raskalarn the Immortal.

At the command to stand at attention, the Raskithecal drew herself even higher, doing a damnable good impression of a statue, of something forged of steel. She'd noted the brand of course, and she could guess where this might be going. Another test. Well she'd not be found wanting before the head of the Empire. If she bit her own tongue off, if that brand touched her flesh she'd not cry out.
word count: 616
Uiyaejn
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Healer
Renown: +42
Character Sheet
Secrets
Medal count: 6

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:44 pm

Uiyaejn could feel the weight of the armies on the shoulders of the immortal that followed into the tent and like a tide of power, that after addressing Shesha's initiation immediately shifted onto the little healer posing a question that would decide her fate, would she join the legion? "No my Lady," the soft song of her exotic, crystal toned voice rung strong "I must once again decline, for my path here is soon to end. There is much that I have yet to learn and the life of that which is dear to me is held within the hands of one of the great Immortal plagues... and yet war has branded itself onto my heart." Unaware of the codes of conduct between soldiers Uiyaejn did not salute as Shesha did, nor did she stay in line like was expected of her. Out of ignorance, rather than disrespect. The healer never really understood why such a thing had to be put in place, but she did know that it meant the warriors fought better together.

Almost child-like in her demeanour the young healer wandered closer to the immortal and the centurion, purposefully stepping toward them until she met the Immortal face to face "I am not strong enough. I stand before you, but only because I could not help win a battle against a plague my mother is ill with and I must save her," sorrow filled her voice as her eyes welled up and she looked Raskalarn in the eye "I cannot betray her now. I may not be her real child, but she raised me."

Shining through the happy and bubbly exterior that she so often held, sadness loomed across Uiyaejn's face and she frowned, averting her gaze toward the floor in a moment of weakness "Mother of war, your children are both beautiful and deadly, a force to reckoned with. You raised them and they look after you. And like them, I must look after my mother" light spread across the little healers features and she lifted her arms to embrace the immortal "May you find your peace."
word count: 361
Basilisk
Developer - Staff (TL)
Developer - Staff (TL)
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Events

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:16 am

Raskalarn smiled as Shesha did her very best impression of a statue, then turned to face Uiyaejn as she started to speak. Raskalarn was disappointed at her answer, but she could accept the girls reasoning. Then the mortal reached out and hugged her, an act most in her own empire could barely even have dared to dream about doing. The Divine Empress stiffened in surprise at the act, then actually laughed quietly for a moment. "Gentle and courageous. It's a shame you don't feel you can join us yet, little healer." she said, her voice gentler than it usually was.

Then she raised her free hand and briefly returned the Sev'ryn's embrace.

Dropping her arm and ignoring the small seizure that Vierka was having behind her, Raskalarn turned her attention back to Shesha. "Quinctus Shesha, you have shown yourself skilled and determined, not just in combat but in leadership. For this, you are granted the rank of Quinctus and the privelidge to bear the burden of command." she said, her voice formal as she touched the burning brand to Shesha's armor, just under the left side of the collar. "The legionnaires under your command are yours to lead and protect. Guide them in life and battle both, for they will look to you for inspiration and example." the Immortal again touched the brand to Shesha's armor, this time under the right side of her collar.

Setting the brand back in the brazier, Raskalarn paused for a moment, then looked Shesha directly in the eyes. "Quinctus. There is one last gift to receive. Remove your helmet." she commanded, her voice calm and controlled, but now filled with the purpose that dominated her very being, the will that had forced the Eternal Empire and kept it together for centuries.
word count: 310
Basilisk
Developer - Staff (TL)
Developer - Staff (TL)
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Events

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:52 am

EDDRICK BRODON

EXP
Story: 5/5
Collab: 0/5
Structure: 5/5
Event: 1/5

KNOWLEDGE
Tactics: Recognizing when a side is outmatched.
Leadership: Using hand signals to relay specific commands.
Leadership: Ordering certain members of your group separately from the rest.
Tactics: Building a barricade with Poko's.

FAME
Commanding a numerically inferior force: -2
Losing a battle you commanded: -5
Participating in a war: -5
Total: 12

Negative points due to Edd's status as a bandit.

UIYAEJN

Story: 5/5
Collab: 5/5
Structure: 5/5
Event: 5/5

Medicine: Using Moukou powder to numb pain
Medicine: Feeding an injured soldier healing cordial to help the healing process
Medicine: Bandaging an open arm wound
Surgery: Repairing a hip wound
Surgery: Bandaging a hip surgery
Surgery: Sewing up a mans chest
Surgery: Assisting a more skilled surgeon
Surgery: Closing thigh wounds
Surgery: Using special sutures on tail wounds
Endurance: Working despite cut hands
Siege Weaponry: Using catapults as trees
Tactics: Using the bodies of the dead as an intimidation tactic
Tactics: Setting catapult ammo on fire
Tactics: Damage the brain to stop undead
Intimidation: Firing dead bodies at people

FAME
Participating in a war: +5
Winning a battle your side fought: +3
Strong tactical suggestions: +3
Excellent surgical performance: +1
Total: +12

NOTES

Edd, I couldn't give you points in Collab or full points in Event due to rules regarding single posts in group threads. These factors were outside your control, but I can't, in good conscious, make an exception for you that I wouldn't make to anyone else, especially as you left this thread to participate in another thread in the same battle. However, it was a very well written post. Also, at -150 GN, Edd will qualify for a notable one. If you want a smaller bounty set up, let me know and we'll work it out.

Shesha, Uiyaejn, if you want to actively play these two PC's again, get in touch with me and I'll review for your PC's. Shesha, if you do return to this PC, you and I will need to finish her part of this thread.
word count: 369

Return to “The Hotlands”