• Solo • [Warrick] Good Deeds are Well Rewarded

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.

Moderators: Basilisk, Pegasus, Plague

Lei'lira
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Farmer
Renown: +222
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

[Warrick] Good Deeds are Well Rewarded

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:43 am

1st Vhalar, 717

I wonder how many nice trials we will have this season? Lei'lira mused as she prepared breakfast for her family.

Eri, and Lil'ari helped her, bustling about the kitchen while Atreyas and Kei'iru kept an eye on the younger children. In Vhalar, good weather was never a certain thing. This early in the season, they were more likely to have it than later on as Zi'da began to draw near. But even now, there was no guarantee that the weather would cooperate. For farmers who raised crops instead of animals, the good weather was vital in order to bring their harvests in. A single hard frost would kill off any crops remaining in the fields when the frost hit. Even she felt the pressure of needing to stock up on supplies for the coming snows. And some activities like the one she had planned for this trial could be absolutely miserable to do in bad weather.

As Lei'lira and the kids finished up with the breakfast preparations, Lei'lira took a quick count of her food supplies. She had a good amount, but unless she could trade for more this season, they would be on tight rations before the end of Cylus.

Maybe I should consider planting some crops of my own next arc. Atrayas, Eri, and Lil'ari are old enough to be able to help out a lot with the farm work. Between the four of us, and the younger kids handling the smaller chores like collecting the eggs, and feeding the chickens, I think we could manage at least a small crop. Or maybe a good sized vegetable garden instead of a single crop of something. Either would help our food supply during the cold seasons.

Lei'lira's mind turned to the question of whether a vegetable garden, or a crop of oats or wheat would be more beneficial to them as she served breakfast, and called everyone to the table to eat. The former would be more useful to them directly, in the form of vegetables that could be dried or canned to get them through Zi'da and Cylus. But a crop of oats or wheat could be traded for meat and vegetables they would need, and had the added benefit that it could be traded for services as well as food. Like putting in some fences to create pastures for the animals, and fixing the leak in the barn roof.

The meal was a quick one, and the kids took the task of cleaning up afterwards so that Lei'lira could go get the tools they would need for the trial's work out of the barn. She and the older kids split up the work of feeding the horses, cows, and sheep before meeting in the field where the sheep were grazing. Kei'iru and Teirue helped by feeding the chickens, collecting the eggs, and watching the younger children while the others worked.
Lei'lira
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 am

"We're going to breed the sheep this trial, aren't we?" Atreyas asked as he jogged towards Lei'lira.

Lei'lira nodded.

"But before we do that, we need to crutch them first."

"What's that?" Atreyas asked in confusion.

"The only type of crutch I know about is the wooden kind that you have to use to get around if you break your leg."

"Those things are really hard to use, and they can be really uncomfortable, too. When I was younger, I broke my leg in a fall from a horse, and I had to use a crutch for over a season until it healed." Lil'ari added.

Lei'lira shook her head.

"Not that kind of crutch. Crutching a sheep is when you remove the wool from around the tail and between the rear legs of a sheep. It can also mean removing the wool from the head of a sheep, which is also called wigging. And it can also refer to removing wool from the bottom of male sheep. The latter is also known as mulesing. We do it because it makes breeding the sheep easier."

"Does it hurt a sheep when you shear it?" Eri asked curiously.

"They certainly don't seem to like it. I remember how hard they tried to escape when we sheared them last Ashan."

"No, they don't like having it done, but it doesn't hurt them at all. It's a lot like getting a hair cut would be for you."

The kids took turns rounding up the sheep with the aid of the dogs, and bringing them to Lei'lira so she could crutch them. When Atreyas asked if he could try it, she allowed it, but cautioned him to be very careful because she shears were quite sharp, and could injure either him, or the sheep if it wasn't done correctly. One by one, each of the twenty ewes, and four rams were crutched. When that was done, Lei'lira examined them for any sign of illness or injury before putting each of the ewes to the ram she had selected for them. Last arc, she had bred each of the five ewes of each breed she owned to the ram of the same breed. But this arc, she wanted to try and experiment a little. Two of the ewes were bred to the ram of their breed, but the other three were bred to different rams. Lei'lira wanted to see what the offspring of the mixed breedings would be like. One of her neighbors was a sheep farmer, and she insisted that the best wool came from combining breeds until you found a mix that worked well.

When that was done, Lei'lira asked the kids to put the tools away while she checked on the younger kids.
Lei'lira
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:19 pm

The kids had been working hard for the last few trials in preparation for breeding the sheep. They deserved a treat for their efforts, so Lei'lira decided to take them on a trip to Meadow Farms. There was always something new and fun for the kids to do there. And it would give her the chance to visit Iggy for a while. The owner of the ranch was a close friend of hers, and had been for as long as she could remember. As a child, Meadow Farms had seemed like paradise to her, and she spent as much time volunteering there as she could. These trials, she had much less time to volunteer there since she had her own farm to run. But she still stopped by whenever she could. Iggy was getting on in arcs, and he wasn't as strong as he used to be. Without an apprentice to help him with his horses until his grandchildren were old enough to take over, he needed as much help as he could get.

When she announced her decision, the kids were overjoyed. Lei'lira couldn't help but smile at their antics as they rushed to finish the morning chores, and get ready to go. It didn't take long for them to have five horses saddled and ready to go. Lei'lira double checked the horse Kei'iru had saddled to make sure that it had been done correctly. She found that the saddle was a bit too loose, so she corrected it and explained that some horses didn't like feeling the saddle tight around their belly. She could see that she other kids were listening intently as she told Kei'iru that some horses took a deep breath while being saddled in order to prevent it from being tightened properly. Since a loose saddle was dangerous, it was very important to keep an eye out for that, and make certain that the saddle was fastened correctly in order to prevent a fall. Lei'lira showed the kids a trick to get the horses to cooperate, and then it was time to go.

The rise to Meadow Farms was uneventful, but Lei'lira found it increasingly difficult to ride with Tiran and Taerin now that they were growing bigger. Likewise, Teirue was getting bigger as well. Lei'lira knew that it would be time to teach Teirue how to ride on her own before too much longer. That way, one of the older kids could ride with one of the twins. She knew that Teirue thought that she was a big girl now, and that she wanted to be able to ride by herself very much, but she still worried about the thought of the young girl alone in the saddle.

Iggy greeted them at the gate with a welcoming smile. He told Kei'iru and Teirue that one of his barn cats had had kittens a few trials before, and asked if they wanted to see them. The answer was obvious to Lei'lira even before they responded with childish excitement and delight. She cautioned them to be careful with the kittens, and warned them that their mother might not want them touching the kittens. Lil'ari offered to go with them and make sure they were careful. Lei'lira thanked her before turning her attention back to her friend.

"What can we help with?" Lei'lira asked simply.

"Well..."

Iggy glanced at the kids apologetically.

"It's not the fun and excitement that I'm sure the kids were looking for when you brought them here, but the stalls in the east stable could use a good mucking. My arthritis has been acting up the last several trials, so I haven't been able to get to it in a while. But if you finish with that, there's always plenty of horses that could use exercising."

Lei'lira was about to suggest that she handle mucking out the stalls herself while Eri and Atreyas exercised some of the horses, but Atreyas spoke first.

"We'll do it." he said firmly.

Eri nodded in agreement. When Lei'lira gave the kids a startled look, Atreyas offered her a grin in return.

"Work comes before play on a farm. Always. You taught us that. The animals rely on us to take care of them, and they're not gonna understand if you want a day off to play. It's not fair to them if you put your desires above their needs. But the rewards of being a farmer far outweigh anything we might have to give up. You taught us that, too."

Lei'lira felt a deep sense of pride in her son. Seeing him take her beliefs as his own was an amazing thing. It gave her hope that whatever she managed to build during her lifetime would continue on in the hands of her children; any parent would feel good about that. She also felt a sense of pride and accomplishment in herself. She had taught Atreyas those values. And he had gained a sense of responsibility from her. It was a powerful, heady feeling, and she allowed herself to bask in it for a trill before smiling at her kids.

"Then let's get to work."

There were fifteen stalls that needed to be mucked out, but they worked quickly, and efficiently. Between the three of them, they managed the daunting task within a few breaks. When they were finished, they put the cleaning supplies away, then went in search of Iggy.
Lei'lira
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:46 pm

They found the elderly man nearby. He was humming softly as he groomed one of his mares. He seemed so engrossed in his task that Lei'lira and the kids decided to wait until he was finished before announcing their presence. When he finally noticed them, he pretended to be shocked as he asked them if they were finished already. But the light in his eyes gave him away, and they grinned back at him as they promised that they were.

"I believe that you mentioned some horses that needed exercising?" Lei'lira reminded him teasingly.

"Now that you mention it, I do believe that I did." Iggy replied in the same tone.

He led them to one of the larger stables.

"These are the horses who need to be exercised the most. They're all gentle enough for beginner riders, so feel free to pick which ever ones you want."

The excitement in the kids eyes was plain to see as they went about choosing which horses they wanted to ride first. Lei'lira watched them for a few trills before choosing a mount of her own. The mare didn't know her, so Lei'lira moved slowly as she approached so she wouldn't startle her. She introduced herself to the mare, and gave her some time to get used to her before saddling her. When the mare cooperated with her, Lei'lira rewarded her with a treat for her good behavior before mounting her. She knew that it never hurt to give treats to a horse that didn't know you as a way of trying to make friends with them, and show them that you weren't going to hurt them. And her efforts paid off because the mare relaxed completely, and was eager to follow her signals as she rode to meet the others.

The kids wanted to explore the farm, so Lei'lira let them while she remained behind with Iggy.

"Rumor has it that you own some desert horses? Including some stallions?" he began as they rode together slowly.

Lei'lira chuckled.

"The "rumors" are right...which you know perfectly well since the men you hired to drive your own new horses back here agreed to being mine back as well. Can I take it from your question that you are hoping to breed some of your mares to my stallions?"

"What would you charge as a stud fee if I said yes?"

Lei'lira didn't even have to think about her answer.

"For you? Nothing. How much have you taught me about horses over the arcs? Besides...anything I might charge you in stud fees is more than likely to come right back to you the next time I buy more horses from you."

Iggy grinned at her as he thanked her for her kindness.

"Well, tell you what. The next time you do buy a horse from me, I'll give you a good discount on it. I might even throw in a free breeding if it's a mare."

"That sounds good."

They rode in companionable silence for a little while longer before Lei'lira decided they had to get back home so they wouldn't be late for the evening milking. She rounded her kids up, and promised Kei'iru and Teirue that they would be able to visit the kittens again. Then they headed back to the farm. One of their neighbors was waiting for them at the front gate when they arrived. Lei'lira gave the woman a concerned look as she greeted her. Kelsie and her husband were sheep farmers, and this was an especially busy time for them. Unlike Lei'lira who only owned twenty ewes and four rams, her neighbors owned nearly a hundred.

"How are your sheep?" Lei'lira asked politely, remembering that they had been having trouble lately.

"We lost fifteen ewes to myiasis, but we managed to catch it in time, and prevent any of the others from getting it."

"Myiasis?" Eri asked curiously.

Kelsie turned to Eri, and nodded gravely.

"Myiasis, or flystrike is when flies lay their eggs in open wounds, or urine soaked fur. When the eggs hatch, the larvae eat their way into the afflicted animal. Or person, for that matter. It can often be fatal since the maggots have to be cut out of the body to save the victim, and the treatment can be just as fatal as the illness."

Lil'ari and Kei'iru looked green, but Atreyas had a thoughtful expression in his eyes.

"You said that it could be prevented if you catch it in time..."

His expression told Lei'lira that he thought he might know how the condition could be prevented, but he wanted confirmation. She was interested in Kelsie's answer for much the same reason.

"That's right. It can be prevented fairly easily by crutching your sheep before the fly season begins."

They talked for a little while longer before Kelsie felt comfortable enough to bring up why she had come over. When she asked if Lei'lira had any surplus eggs to sell, Lei'lira insisted on giving her some instead. The gift would hopefully lift the other woman's spirits in what was a difficult time for her and her husband. But it was also good for business. By fostering good will with her neighbors, Lei'lira knew that they would help her in times of need as well. And they were more likely to give her a good deal on things she needed to buy if she was willing to do the same. Kelsie thanked her sincerely while Lil'ari ran to get the eggs she needed. Once she had the eggs, Kelsie promised Lei'lira that she would give her a good deal the next time she needed to buy some cheese, or sheep meat from them. Then she thanked her again and left.

Lei'lira watched her go before turning to the task of getting the horses settled, and starting the evening milking.
Pegasus
Storyteller - Staff (TL)
Storyteller - Staff (TL)
Race: Prophet
Profession: Telling Stories!
Renown: -665
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:38 am

Lei'lira

Overview

I'm always so impressed with the level of detail that you get into your posts. I feel like I learn things when I read your threads - and as a job thread goes, this one was great fun to read! I didn't get confused with the NPCs at all, which is good, considering how many of them there are - you did really well. Thank you for your patience with waiting for this review!

XP: 10 (not for magic)

Renown: 10 (2 x 5 = volunteering and all round "isn't she a lovely woman" sort of stuff)

Loot

+1 gn to your daily wage confirmed. Thirty six lambs.

Knowledge

Animal Husbandry; Sheep: Crutching a sheep is when the wool from around the tail and between the rear legs of a sheep is sheared off. It can also mean removing the wool from the head of a sheep, which is also called wigging. And it can also refer to removing wool from the bottom of male sheep. The latter is also known as mulesing. It is done because it makes breeding sheep easier.

Medicine: Myiasis, or flystrike is when flies lay their eggs in open wounds, or urine soaked fur; the eggs hatch, and the larvae eat their way into the afflicted animal or person. It is fatal if left untreated. Treatment involves cutting the maggots out of the body, and can often be fatal as well. Crutching is an effective preventive measure.

Mount; Horse: riding double with young children who are too young to ride by themselves can be difficult as the children grow
Mount; Horse: some horses took a deep breath while being saddled in order to prevent it from being tightened properly
Mount; Horse: double checking riding gear to make sure it is on correctly before riding is very important
Mount; Horse: a loose saddle can be dangerous

Non Skill Knowledge

Teirue: thinks she's a big girl now
Teirue: wants to learn how to ride by herself

Work comes before play on a farm. Always.

Return to “Duchies”