Here Goes Nothing

The beginning of a plan.

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.

Moderators: Pegasus, Basilisk, Plague

Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +100
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

RP Medals

Here Goes Nothing

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:38 am

Here Goes Nothing

10th of Saun, Arc 717
The varieties and the sheer amount of the food sprawled upon their dinner table was enough to make Velaine Krome pause as she entered the room. Her mother did say their family was going to celebrate her return, but she had expected a simpler dinner – a much simpler one. The assortment of cuisine ranged from an entire chicken to bowls of soup to colorful cakes and fruits. It would take more than a dozen people to finish it.

Yet, the only person in the dining room was her. Sophia Krome had warned her not to be late, but her mother was nowhere in sight. Not that it was a surprise.

It was nothing like the dinner she was used for the past few arcs. All she had was Elrik and no servants or slaves. Neither of them had really known how to cook when they had first moved in together, but after a fair amount of convincing, her partner had relented and volunteered for kitchen duty. Needless to say, the food had been awful in the beginning.

She wondered if he thought about her. It pained her, thinking about him. They had fought and argued for trials when the Krome told her intention of returning to Rynmere. She never expected him to agree, but the arguing had been a lot more exhausting than she had expected. In the end, Elrik simply gave up. Do whatever you wanted, Vel. You always have.

It had been a terrifying blow. Velaine remembered how her lungs seized up and her eyes watered as she watched him walk away into the night. He did not returned until the next morning. All night, the young woman lay curled on their bed, sleepless with the thousands of thoughts racing through her mind.

Stop. Just stop right there, Velaine. She was the one who decided to leave Ne’haer. To abandon perhaps the one person she truly trusted to take her place as an heir, to prove her family that she was better than all of them. That was all she needed to think about right now. Nothing else.

She was home now. Back to the house where she had grown up in, the land which she would inherit one day. Returned to her own people, her blood – as meaningless as it was to her.

Velaine let her eyes wander to the fireplace, noting a particular marking on the stone. She remembered where it came from. Back when she was ten or eleven, the young woman recalled her brothers fighting over a stolen sword. No one got hurt, but the ensuring squabble caused the blade to scratch the otherwise flawless granite. Velaine had only been sitting by the table, eating a piece of bread, but she was dragged into the punishment as well. Definitely not the best memory of her family.

For the first time since she returned, the young woman felt a relief seeing her parents approaching from the halls. Finally, instead of getting spiraling down in her own thoughts, she could start what she had planned the moment her heart was set with the desire to rule Krome one day.
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

RP Medals

Here Goes Nothing

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:29 am

They did not bother to apologize for their tardiness, of course, barging into the dining room. While her father regarded her with little interest, Sophia Krome rushed to her daughter’s side and give her a kiss on the cheek.

“Titania,” the older woman started with the slightest frown. “Are you sure you do not want to celebrate your return? It seems like such a shame that such an event remained unnoticed by our friends and families.”

“I am sure, mother. We need to conserve our money, anyway.”

Meanwhile, Jersey Krome lumbered towards the head of the table, his eyes glistening at the sight of the feast before him. Seeing him like this, Velaine had an impossible time imagining her father as a celebrated warrior. Her mother often talked about him being handsome and gallant and charming, yet he was none of that ever since he had been a father. He was fat and lazy and awful.

Velaine couldn’t say when she had lost her love for him. There was no event, not grand disappointment that made her heart swell with hatred. None of that. It was slow, but sure. One day she just realized that she did not truly care for him. The female Krome do not pray for his demise every night, but admittedly the thought of it wasn’t as terrifying as it should be.

What an awful daughter she was.

Still, the young Krome rushed to take the seat closest to her father. For what she wanted to do, well, she might need to be close enough to touch him.

Before the appetizer was even served, Sophia had already begun talking about planning a marriage for her. It was all her mother ever talked about. Sophia had never even asked about her time in Ne’haer and all that mattered to her was that Velaine find some high-ranking nobility to be stuck with for the rest of her lives. She started listing off familiar names – names she had offered before – and rattling off about their wealth.

“All you have been talking about since I returned is marrying me off, mother,” the young woman pointed out innocently once she got the chance. She made sure there was no trace of her annoyance showed, pulling her lips into a mild smile. “Are you that eager to send me way when I have just returned home?”

“Of course not, my darling. We are delighted to get have you here again, but we must consider your future too!” Sophia replied without missing a beat, not taking her daughter’s words seriously. “You are twenty-one arcs old and absolutely beautiful, we need to use that to find yourself the perfect suitor. Perhaps someone from Venora or Endor?”

Velaine shrugged with disinterest. Venora and Endor… two of the wealthier houses. At least her mother had given a little thought on how to use her marriage to benefit their house. Still, Velaine had no interest in being sold off to solve their family’s financial crisis. Not yet. Unfortunately, if her parents finally set their mind to it, she had little say in who or when she will marry – one of the reasons she had been more than happy to leave the life of nobility behind.

Her mother sighed, making her exasperation obvious. “Don’t be a child, Titania. It is your duty to our family to find an eligible husband.”

“Your mother is right, Titania,” Jersey finally spoke. He had been entirely quiet before all this. “Your brother had gained us an advantage by marrying that baroness. You need to learn to be useful too.”

The young woman shook her head as she played around with the vegetables on her plate. She kept her eyes on the plate, fearing that she might snap if she looked at them. “I can’t possibly leave home so soon again, mother. Not after what happened to father last season. With Xander gone, we need to stay together.”

The mood in the room turned somber immediately and she knew her words had hit home. Despite the fact that she had returned for a few trials, no one had been eager to tell her the tale of her father’s near demise. Xander had swiftly brushed away her curiosity that first day she arrived and they never had the chance to discuss it further. Her mother was more than willing to pretend like it did not happen, while her father grew increasingly paranoid with every trial.

It was her chance.

Gently, she reached out and placed a hand atop Jersey’s. “Will you tell me what happened, father?”
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

RP Medals

Here Goes Nothing

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 pm

As soon as their skin touched, the young mage called upon her father’s tangle, willing it to come forth. The colors solidified around Jersey slowly, a mess of emotions twisted in one another. Even without much effort, a particular color shone through as the man recalled the night he almost lost his life. A muted, flaxen yellow of fear. The emotion was startlingly strong, its strings wrapped around every inch of Jersey’s tangle. Like no matter what he was feeling, this fear still crept up on him. He wasn’t just scared, he was terrified of his every waking bit.

It would explain the increasing symptoms of paranoia Velaine had noticed from her father. He trusted less and less people, refusing to see anyone and constantly changing his guards. Servants had notified her that they heard him crying out in the middle of the night, haunted by some nightmare most likely. While it was not uncommon to see Jersey raging about their home, it was difficult not to notice that it had been getting worse.

To smooth over the process, the Krome continued to talk and squeezed her father’s hand reassuringly. “You need not go into the details, father. I just wanted to know what happened. I am worried about you.”

Jersey Krome grunted in response, taking a bite of the drumstick in his hand. Unsurprisingly, he wasn’t eager to talk about it. “It is not the matters a delicate woman should concern herself about. I know how to keep order in my own house.”

Despite her father’s dismissal, the tangle would have a harder time refusing her. Velaine willed his fear to come forth, for it to take shape of its cause. It did nothing at first, but then they slowly moved. The shape it took was hard to discern, but if she had to guess it took the figure of a man.

“Don’t look at me like that! I don’t need my own daughter’s pity!”

The words nearly broke her entire concentration. It seemed like Jersey had realized Velaine had been staring at him for far too long. Saints, she really needed to be more aware of it next time. Instead of looking away guiltily, the young woman bowed her head. “Forgive me, father. That is not my intention.”

There was little time left for her. Carefully, the Empath reached out to the fear string and ran her power over it. It was only a single strum, but the entirety of Jersey’s tangle seemed to shudder with it. The results were immediate. Her father’s eyes dilated as he conjured up some unseen fear, perhaps the memories pulling him into their embrace.

She pulled away her hand and turned to reach for her spoon. They began to eat in silence, one that was not uncommon in their household. Only bits later, Jersey Krome stood up abruptly and announced that this was a waste of his time. He left the room before his wife could even scold him for such action. Judging from how hurried he was to get back to his room, Velaine would figure that her strum had worked – for now. The effects would wear off soon enough. She did not get nearly enough information tonight, but it was fine. The young woman was more than willing to bid her time.

If he didn’t get better, the young woman wouldn’t be surprised to see Jersey spiraling into madness. He was close, so close to falling into its abyss.

All she needed to do was push him off the edge.
Zipper
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Professional Scowler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Here Goes Nothing

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Overview

I just want you to know that the fact that his name is JERSEY Krome is grounds enough for him to be sodded off for new leadership.

Enjoyed the thread, reasonable use of Magic at your level, looking forward to more.
@Palvin

XP: 10/10 (empathy)

Loot/Injuries/Overstepping

Nu

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge
Empathy: Touch to Strengthen
Empathy: Flaxen Yellow as Fear
Empathy: Tapestry to Investigate Causes
Empathy: Be Aware of Your Eye Contact Duration
Psychology: Extreme Fear Leads to Paranoia
Psychology: Symptoms of Paranoia

Other Knowledge:
House Krome: Going Through a Financial Crisis
House Krome: Will Suffer Due to Incompetent Rulers
Sophia Krome: Eager to Marry You Off
Jersey Krome: Wrapped in Fear
Jersey Krome: Spiraling into Madness
Please make sure your review request is marked as complete and put a review stamp on it!

Your review request is: here
ImageImageImage

Return to “Duchies”