• Completed • A Hot Night in Lowtown

Healer Job Thread

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Ashira Ward
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Herbalist/Scrivener
Renown: 43
Character Sheet
Partner
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

A Hot Night in Lowtown

Vhalar 28

It had started two trials earlier as gossip. A new drug, another way for the people who couldn't cope with the world as it was to opt out for a little while. Ashira had largely dismissed it. What did one more drug matter? Eventually she might learn about it because it could be useful to her, but there were so many for people to choose from that really one more made no difference. This so called Heat might have been new, but what it did to people wasn't. Weaklings choosing to abandon reality. Old news. Very few addicts ever really got clean, or really wanted to. They just moaned and whined about how hard their lives were, and then if you were lucky they managed to kill themselves before they became too much of a drain.

She'd seen it before back home. Rarer than here, people in Oakleigh didn't have the time, nels or access to the drugs to obliterate themselves the way people in Andaris did, but there were always a few. Their families and communities had to care for them. They showed up in the clinic again and again with damage they'd done to themselves. What did they contribute except heartache? Heartless perhaps, but Ashira triaged everything. If these people would not help themselves why waste what could save a productive member of society? Even times of plenty were not times when one should waste, and lately there had not been much plenty to be found.

But she was still offering her services as a healer after coming to Andaris. She wasn't hired often. The Order was here, and there were other more experienced healers. If you had the coin.

Of course these opinions were easier to keep when everything was at arms length. If for example, you have been roused from your home and dragged down to Lowtown, into a house that was barely more than a shack, just maintained enough that the kingsmen do not demand it to be pulled down by a crying girl-child to find within the dirty home her mother and two older brothers unresponsive on the floor in their own sweat and filth, writhing at visions only they can see.. Well, that was something else all together.

For a moment, Ashira stood, taking in the scene. Horror and disgust warring for control, until both were quashed by something stronger. Training. Professionalism.

"Fetch clean cloths and water, fill the bath. Tepid, not hot, not cold."

The girl couldn't have been more than eight, but if she was old enough to fetch help, she was old enough to be of use.

"W-we don't have a bath Miss." the girl replied, cringing as though she expected a blow. She had enough bruises under the dirt that perhaps she did.

Another barely perceptible pause as Ashira switched gears, reminding herself where she was.

"What's your name girl?"

"Gracelynn."

"Gracelynn, fetch me water and cloths, can you do that?"

"Yes Miss. Are.. are they going to die?"

"Not if I've anything to say about it, now off with you!"
Last edited by Ashira Ward on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 526
Will be finishing existing threads with Nir'wei and Ivy so my partners can get their points. Then I'm out. As such I will not be starting anymore threads.
Ashira Ward
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

A Hot Night in Lowtown

The truth was that they likely wouldn't regardless. She didn't have the information for this new drug. Likely no one did. Worst case though, seeing as it wasn't infamous, wasn't an epidemic, worst case was perhaps ten percent of overdoses having serious repercussions. Odds were good that these three if left alone would get it over it. Medicine as a whole however existed to pad those odds. It would have helped if she'd known what Heat was made from. Some plants could interact terrible with each other. She could use a sedative on them, but many sedatives were also mildly hallucinogenic, and what if Heat was causing reactions beyond the fever and hallucinations? What if it was interfering with their hearts? Another drug on top of that could kill them. And that was only within the plant kingdom, the one where Ashira was relatively comfortable. If it was animal based she'd have even less idea. Besides a few basic snake bite treatments and the like, Ashira knew next to nothing about animal based toxins.

No, the best bet here, the surest one without information she currently had no way to get, was to treat the most dangerous symptom, the fever, and wait out the rest. Course of action decided upon, Ashira began her work. First she moved the three patients. The mother and younger son were largely unresponsive, though all three were breathing. She moved the arm nearest her at a right angle. She took the far arm and placed the back of their hand on the cheek nearest to her. Taking the far leg by the knee she pulled it towards herself. They rolled easily, and she adjusted the leg so they were stable. Lastly, she made sure to tilt their heads back and lift their chins to make sure their airways were open. This way if they vomited or the like she'd notice before they choked on it and died.

The older son was less easy. He was more in the throes of the hallucinations than the fever, and kept struggling, and moving himself about, flopping on the floor. He'd even managed to connect a heavy fist with her cheek. She eyed him with anger rising in her throat, hand on what was likely turning into a bruise already. She wanted to kick him. He likely wouldn't remember, and it would make her feel better. But it was wrong. She closed her eyes and breathed out deeply through her nose, suppressing the rage. In a proper clinic there would be someone to hold him down. Some of the beds would have restraints for them, for cases exactly like this. But no, she didn't have a clinic. She had this.. this slum to try and work in. On the plus side, it didn't take long to search. They didn't even have true beds. Two lumpy mattresses on the floor with ragged, patched blankets on top. Nose wrinkling in distast, she pulled the cleanest looking sheet from the mess and after several false starts managed to wrap up the older boy in a way that ought to keep him largely still. He seemed somewhat distressed, but quite frankly if he remembered this as a bad experience and didn't do it again, good.

Gracelynn wasn't back yet, so Ashira took the battered broom she'd noted when looking about earlier and began vigorously sweeping out the small home. This was as much for her own sanity as for the patients. She needed things to be clean and orderly. To try and work out of this home in the state it was in for any length of time.. Several spiders were beaten to death and after an initial squeak of fear a rat was chased out as well. Indignant, Ashira continued her sweeping. It was amazing these people hadn't died of plague yet. Honestly. Just because you were poor didn't mean you had to be so, so, slovenly!

But then, many people still believed that all illnesses were caused by curses and demons. That the Immortals were to blame for it all. She might not understand the exact mechanisms, but after generations of healing, any Thorn could tell you that uncleanliness helped cause and worsen illnesses of almost all types. Honestly. There was free schooling and a perfectly good library here, all people had to do was take advantage of it! Better themselves!

"I-I got the water Miss!"

Ashira started slightly, as Gracelynn came rushing back in, breathless, bucket in one hand and rags under her arm.

"Good girl, do they have another set of clean clothes?"

"Yeeees." Gracelynn offered hesitantly looking slightly shamed

"Fetch them for me."
word count: 793
Will be finishing existing threads with Nir'wei and Ivy so my partners can get their points. Then I'm out. As such I will not be starting anymore threads.
Ashira Ward
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

A Hot Night in Lowtown

The younger boy was probably only thirteen or so, slim and gangly. Assuming they'd all taken roughly the same dose, he would be the most at risk. His fever seemed to be the highest as well. Moving with certainty, because for this she could operate largely on auto-pilot, and let body memory take over, she stripped him of his soaked and soiled clothes. Using the water and rags Gracelynn had brought, clean enough that it was better than nothing, she washed him. If she thought anything during the process, it was that he was too thin. That he must not be getting enough to eat. When he was clean, she dressed him in the clothes Gracelynn offered her. Again, cleaner than what he's been in, but not what she would call clean. Still, it would have to do for now.

Propping him up in her lap, she managed to coax some water into him. Dehydration was a risk whenever fever reared it's head. Back into the recover position, a wetted cloth on his forehead and the back of his neck, and she moved on to the mother, repeating the process. It was hard not to be angry. This woman had not only done this to herself, but allowed it to happen to her children. The older boy might have been man enough to make his own decisions, the younger certainly wasn't. And they'd effectively left Gracelynn alone. That this woman should have at least three children while she had none.. The Immortals were unfair.

"Go, change the water and wash out these cloths as best you can, we will likely need them."

"Yes Miss."

At least Gracelynn was obedient and quick to act. It would have been hard on her own. Basically impossible responsibly. She would need to leave them repeatedly to fetch more water and wash out the rags. Any medic could tell you it only took a moment for everything to go bad.

The older boy was once again a struggle. He was just at the age where he was putting on the true bulk of manhood, and had the muscles and strength of youth. Still, he was acting at random, not intelligently, and though it took long enough that Gracelynn was back by the time she was done, she did get him cleaned. At least getting him to drink was easier than the other two. At first he refused, but once she got a little down his throat, he drank greedily. Then came the process of binding him again. He didn't resist as much as the first time, though he didn't help either.

With a sigh, Ashira sat back on her heels, surveying the scene. The mattresses might have been more comfortable than the floor, but it would have been harder to keep them in safe positions, and they'd have overheated faster.

"Now what Miss?" Gracelynn asked, mirroring her posture, small eyes bright and alert under their layer of grime.

"We wait. We have to make sure they have enough to drink, rewet their clothes when they start to dry or warm up."

"For how long?"

"I don't know, I don't know this drug. Perhaps as much as six hours."

That was a fairly safe estimate. Most hallucinogens wore off before then, but it was safer to err on the side of caution.

"Are.. Are you going to leave Miss? I can probably mind them.." Still, she looked worried by the prospect.

"Of course not." Ashira offered Gracelynn a smile. "You've been doing very well, you're a very good helper, but they should be looking after you, not the other way around."

Suddenly Gracelynn threw herself at Ashira, crying, clinging to her as tears and snot ran down her face, and her small frame was wracked by sobs. Ashira sat frozen for a moment, not sure what to do before she wrapped an arm around the small girl, rubbing her back and rocking slightly as she hummed a comforting nothing. Almost as quickly as it had started, the display stopped, and Gracelynn drew back, rubbing at her face with the back of a grubby hand.

"S-sorry.."

"That's all right little one, everything is fine. Now, since we'll have some time, lets get things cleaned up for when everyone wakes up, yes?"
Last edited by Ashira Ward on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 730
Ashira Ward
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

A Hot Night in Lowtown

The breaks that followed saw the little house cleaner than it had been in trials. Ashira and Gracelynn swept and scrubbed every surface they could reach between giving their three patients more water and refreshing their cloths. Gracelynn was often out of the house, fetching water or scrubbing the rags so they could be used again, or their clothes so that when one of them soiled themselves they had something clean to wear. That the pants weren't quite dry much of the time was fine, it only helped to keep their fevers down. She'd briefly considered trying to start a soup for when they awoke, but she wasn't sure there was enough food here to make one, and a fire for the stove in such a small space would have only exacerbated their fevers.

In two breaks the older boy was lucid again, if useless. Ashira saw him crawl to one of the mattresses and left it at that. The snoring was a good indication that he was fine. In four the mothers fever broke, and she fell into an easy sleep, though Ashira was slightly worried that she didn't wake first. She didn't try particularly hard to wake her though. She might still be hallucinating, and in any case, Ashira didn't trust herself not to snap at the woman. The younger boy took longer, and began to worry her. Towards the end of the sixth break she had him in only a loincloth, constantly sponging his fevered skin with a cloth and coaxing as much water into him as she could. It took him a break longer than she'd thought. Perhaps not surprising considering his malnourished frame. His body likely didn't have the energy to fight off the drug.

Ashira could feel something dark and grim growing within her. The mother didn't have the nels to feed her children but she could afford drugs for them? Drugs that had almost killed them? She didn't deserve these children.

For a moment, Ashiras eyes fell on the woman where she lay. It would be easy to kill her now. Send Gracelynn out. Smother her as she slept. Addict dies, how sad. But then what? Then what would happen to her children? Maybe they'd be better off, but maybe they'd lose even the little they had. Maybe they'd not even have this wreck to sleep in any longer. The boys might be old enough to make it, but what of Gracelynn?

She briefly entertained the thought of bringing them home, stealing the children from this woman who didn't deserve them. Raising them as her own. But she did not have many nels to spare, and Everett would kill her. It was an unrealistic fantasy. A nice little daydream, but not to be. This was reality, life in lowtown. This was what they had.

All she could do was come when she was called and ease them. Treating symptoms and leaving the disease.

She waited until the mother and older boy were both awake. Shame faced, they took the tongue lashing she delivered, as well as the strict instructions on how to care for the still slumbering younger boy. He was no longer in danger, but it wouldn't hurt to have him coddled a little. She doubted any of these children received enough care, or they'd not have wound up where they were.

Feeling as if she'd accomplished very little, for all that she'd done precisely what she'd been called to do, Ashira headed for home. She would be glad to wash the grime of this day off of her. The physical would go easily enough, the mental would take longer.
Last edited by Ashira Ward on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 627
Whisper
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Prophet
Profession: Storyteller
Renown: 394
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

A Hot Night in Lowtown

Ashira Ward

Peer Review

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 0/5
Structure: 5/5

Awarded Knowledge

Drugs: Effect of Body Size
Medicine: Heat Interaction with Drugs
Medicine: Sedatives
Medicine: Small Town vs City
Medicine: “Treat the Symptoms, Leave the Disease”
Sedatives: Mildly Hallucinogenic

Extras
Loot & Losses [/color]xxxxxx Injuries
None [/color]xxxxxx None
Fame [/color]xxxxxx Devotion
None [/color]xxxxxx None
[/color]

Comments

Another good thread :) was a pleasure to read! Your style is lovely.

As you can see, I have provided feedback and reasoning behind my review. If you have any questions, comments or criticism about your review, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it.
Thank ye.
word count: 112
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”