• Closed • [Global] Fires of hate

Known colloquially as the "Realm of Dreams", Emea is a mysterious place accessed primarily beyond the realm of consciousness as the mortal body sleeps in Idalos. The mind travels far at night and Emea's not without its unique risks and dangers, though Jesine's vigilance keeps mortals mostly safe.

Moderator: Anomaly

Ent
Storyteller - Staff
Storyteller - Staff
Race: Mer
Renown: 0

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Events

[Global] Fires of hate

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:23 pm

5th Saun, Arc 717

Burning, it was all burning, consumed in fire and lava. The heat was unbearable and the smoke sent in the fiery winds would make them cough and splutter to clear their airways. The place was awful, not somewhere you would wish to spend your time for long. Still this was where he had brought them, those he had chosen to enact his will in the upcoming seasons. They were an odd group but they were better than none and if he could get them to work together and for him then he could force his way into the events that would soon transpire.

So the group of chosen mortals would find themselves stood side by side at the foot of a volcano, river's of lava flowing beside them and tree stumps burning. The ground would shake as more lava would spew its way from the mouth of the volcano, rocks thrown from within high into the sky landing somewhere off in the distance.

Upon a rock in front of them squatted a man, hair like the flames surrounding them and eyes burning like a wildfire. "I can feel the hatred in most of your hearts, the feelings of rage and disgust you have towards Immortals. This is something I understand, something I share greatly with you as many of my own I too hate." The fiery haired immortal stood and dropped down from the rock before the group his eyes searching each of theirs.

"Each of you are to help me and in return I will help you but first I want you to prove your willingness to trust me so I may trust you." For an immortal many said was hotheaded he seemed calm and somewhat reasonable. "It will be worth your while if you want your dreams and aspirations to one day be realised." He studied them and waited to see who spoke first, who was brave enough to be the first to ask questions of him.
Off Topic
So to keep this moving quickly I will post here in a week, if everyone has posted before then I might post sooner if I can. So with that in mind the next post will be aimed for 09/09/17 (aka next Saturday) please try to keep up as much as possible and if you have any issues message me and we can try to work something out.
Noth
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Monster
Renown: -345
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Global] Fires of hate

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:14 pm

Soot and ash stuck readily to the surface of the hybrid’s feathers, and he found himself unconsciously swiping his hand over any exposed portions of himself, attempting to remove the intruding sediments. Naturally, that only served to attach them to his hand, and with a mild noise of disgruntlement, he forced himself to analyze the setting around himself as opposed to its effects. The heat pouring off of the fire and molten stone was extreme, and he the hybrid felt another wave of it lash against him, making it difficult to breathe for several moments until it had subsided; though, it never truly went away in its entirety. He could not remember a place nor a time where he had felt as heated as he did here, though there were some vague similarities in the level of smoke here, and in the levels of smoke which had been displayed at a battle many seasons prior.

The twilight hybrid wasn’t entirely sure where they were; for he had companions at his side, but it seemed likely that they had stopped at the foot of a massive volcano given the tendency of molten rock to flow downhill around them. He had only really ever heard of one volcano, and he looked curiously upward at the rocky hill, questioning whether or not he had somehow stumbled upon the Heart of the World. Had he truly gone so near Sirothelle as to warrant being within walking distance of the supervolcano? A pillar of smoke and ash burst free from the hill, spraying sediment and large chunks of stone into the sky like a deadly trebuchet of fire, answering his question with a show of might and power.

But… if they were at the Heart of the World…

There. The figure squatted before them, his hair and eyes bristling with the same all-consuming anger displayed in the fires around them. He spoke, and Noth immediately knew to whom he conversed; Faldrun. The Immortal spoke of how the band of mortals all felt feelings of rage and negativity towards his fellow Immortals, and promptly admitted that he too felt such emotions. The hybrid was unsurprised by this revelation, because if the Immortals all liked one another, then there wouldn’t have been a war in the first place. Still, he latched onto the information that Faldrun could feel their emotions, and immediately began to question whether that was an ability only he possessed, or if it was one that all of the godlings could wield at a moment’s notice.

He commanded that the group would assist him in something, and that in return, he would assist them in their own endeavors. Noth couldn’t quite imagine Faldrun ramming a knife through his own throat on the murderous Avriel’s request, but he was certain that other goals of his could be accomplished if he could broker a deal with the chief of Sirothelle. After all, when he ruled Etzos, they would need to deal with the threat of marauding fire warriors from the North… but if they were redirected to a battlefield more suitable, then perhaps another foe of theirs could be eliminated in only a short while.

The scheming and plotting Avriel deigned it unnecessary to think his thoughts so near the godling, especially when he spoke of feeling their emotions, unwilling to accidentally inform him of his plans. Crimson eyes met ones forged of wildfire, gazing into them for several trills, taking in the thought of working with the godling, and calmly acquiescing that it would benefit him more to simply go along with whatever the Immortal of Fire had in mind, as opposed to attempting to rush him here and murder him. Faldrun disgusted him on a moral level, especially with the induction of his zealots into the world… but doctors too dealt with sickening plagues and pets for the sake of creating a cure, and the hybrid was willing to set aside his own differences for personal ambition.

“What is it that you request of us?” He spoke above the crackle of nearby lava bubbles, standing confidently even in the midst of a god in his natural habitat.

He paused for a few moments before continuing with a far greater question:

“And why? I know that there was a battle for Treid’s Hart, and yet, none of those petty godlings; your siblings, ever told us why. I think it would be a pleasant start to our working relationship if you could reveal your motivations.” He challenged, glaring at the hothead as he awaited an answer.

And yet, he knew that Faldrun could not turn down his request. Once it was uttered, it would lay into the minds of those around him, of that he was certain. If Faldrun had summoned those who hated Immortals to him, it meant that his own zealots were ineffective or inconsequential in the coming task as well, which meant that he needed the services of their ilk.

Once you knew what someone needed, it was easy to threaten to deprive it.

Credit to Pegasus

As a note: Noth is a Grandmaster in Intimidation. That means that he's at least as scary as the Count from Sesame Street. Beware.

"The tyrant confuses those he can't convince, corrupts those he can't confuse, and crushes those he can't corrupt." - Anonymous
Yanahalqah
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Knight Captain of the Iron Hand
Renown: +93
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

[Global] Fires of hate

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:05 pm

This was definitely not Uleuda. Not only did it look too much like Idalos, it was also on fire, and the Yludih was sure that the crystal haven was incapable of burning. There was also no crystal structure to be seen, and a quick downwards glance at her body revealed that she was not in her Yludih form either. Instead, she was Eídisi, the form she’d been in when she’d gotten in bed. Another downwards glance to confirm that she wasn’t naked. Good. She’d heard that fleshlings sometimes had dreams where they found themselves nude in the middle of a public situation. This was fortunately not what she was experiencing now.

The question remained though; where was she?

Her eye fell onto the mountain spewing fire and ash, her frown visibly deepening. Impossible. Unless she had been drugged –which, as far as she knew would be nearly impossible due to her anatomy—there was no way she was standing where she thought she was. Besides, she did not felt any weakness in her limbs and body, what should be present if she’d been artificially kept unconscious. Then what? An actual dream? It seemed improbable. She had never heard of Yludih dreaming before. She’d always thought it was impossible for them, just as it was impossible for fleshlings to access Uleuda. If she could be here, in a dream, did that mean..? She sure hoped not.

Idly, she wondered if she could shapeshift here. She had come here in her Eídisi form after all, it was not far-fetched to theorize her shifting would work here too. Not that she would try though; there were others around her. One was an avian creature, large as a man, but with feathers covering its body. Avriel? However, it lacked the rough predatorial grace she associated with the race. The creature had the rough and predatorial aspects covered, indeed, but grace? Not quite. Nevertheless, he looked dangerous. The glint in his eyes was enough to put her on guard. They were the eyes of a crazed killer, burning with hatred and anger. Out of reflex she placed one hand on the sword at her hip, the armor around her body showing her affiliation and status with the Iron Hand.

There was another unknown companion, a pale young man with an eyepatch, but there was also a blonde male she recognized. His name was unknown to her, as was the rank he’d held within the Hand, but she did know she had run into him a couple of times. He’d made trouble every time. Great. She did recall his skill with a blade, but she was not sure if he was on her side or not. Actually, she had no idea if all four of them were supposed to be on the same team, or if they had been gathered to fight to the death. Yana was not sure which option she liked less.

Finally, a voice rang out from in front of her. It came from a man who was as much on fire as the environment, which probably explained why Yana hadn’t noticed him at first. She did recognize him though; she’d caught a glimpse of him during the Immortals’ war. Why was he here? And why were they too? She had a hunch, and she was not liking it.

The Immortal spoke of hatred and rage and disgust, and Yana wondered if she had accidentally stepped into the wrong place of wherever they were. That was most definitely not what she felt for the Immortals. Perhaps for some, but not for the Immortals in general. The Immortals’ war had left a bitter taste in her mouth, but it was only because of the hypocrisy of the so-called “benign” Immortals. She did however have to respect the way they shamelessly and effortlessly manipulated so many people in doing their bidding, sending them to their deaths like cattle to the slaughter. Was it because of their charisma, or skill in manipulation? Both perhaps? Either way, Yana felt fairly neutral about the Immortals in general, and would rather not be caught in the middle of another war. Not that she was going to walk away now though, she doubted she even could, and she wanted answers first. Faldrun wanted them to help him, and the bird-creature wanted to know what he needed them for, and why. Truly, the creature seemed to be as clever as it was ugly, asking the important questions. She could appreciate that.

“And what if we refuse?” she added, not taking her hand away from her weapon, not caring about how little it may help against an Immortal. “I do not care for you or your kind one way or another, and frankly, I am sure I can accomplish my goals without your help.” She paused, listening to the roaring of the mountain, the crackling of the fire and the bubbling of the lava. “However, I would not turn down the opportunity to have an Immortal owe me a favor, if it is not too much of a hassle for me.” There was no telling what she would use it for, but she guessed it would come in handy one trial. “That said, how can we be sure you will keep your word? You ask for our trust, but we have yet to see any proof of any of your kind to be worthy of it.”

Truly, Yana wouldn’t exactly mind cooperating if she was certain she would get something out of it. Give and take. She was not going to step into another Immortals’ war without receiving compensation, and even then, she wasn’t planning to fight anyone for anyone. And if she decided not to cooperate, well, she wouldn’t help any party, nor hinder them. Given that she wasn’t killed for not doing Faldrun’s bidding, that is. But why would he kill her? If he wanted the help of mortals, these mortals, who apparently hated Immortals, he would have to show he was better than his siblings. Killing one of them because they wanted no part in this was not the way to do it. Faldrun would only reveal himself to be exactly like his siblings if he did. So Yana felt confident she could just walk away if she did not like what she heard here. She’d just stay in Rynmere, uphold the law instead of being used by Immortals like a pawn in a game of chess.
Off Topic
Just a quick notice for you guys. I'll be away on holiday from Friday to next Wednesday, so I won't be able to post during that timeframe. However, I should be back in time for the next round of posts, I think.

Sorry for being difficult Ent :oops:
"Speaking" - Thinking - "Others speaking"
Ent
Storyteller - Staff
Storyteller - Staff

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Events

[Global] Fires of hate

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:56 pm

He had expected questions but not quite such intelligent ones, perhaps he had underestimated the mortals on this occasion. Faldrun listened to each of their concerns and was interested to hear the half Avriels, those who had survived the battle of the tomb of Treid's heart were hard come by. However, the truth was he could tell them little about what the three wicked immortals had wanted from Treid's tomb. He contemplated for a few trills on whether to admit his own short comings on discovering their plans and he ran over the most logical and sensible response.

A small ball of fire came upon the tip of his index finger as he paced in front of the group, bouncing the fireball from on finger to another. It moved perfectly without fault as he stepped back and leaned against the rock, continuing to juggle the fire in his hand. "If you are going to refuse then leave now, do not waste my time, I am sure you all understand the importance of such." He looked at them, keeping his temper even though the question frustrated him.

Faldrun continued to answer what they wanted. "The tomb was not in my interests and whatever they had planned in there I know not, I am a man of opportunity and I saw the chance to hit my enemies where it hurts and hit I did." He casually pushed himself off the large boulder and allowed the fire ball to collapse down around his hand and quickly dissipate.

"I have enemies just like you and if the chance you had been waiting for to step in and hurt them surfaced would you not also have acted as I did?" He rubbed his hands together as if cold and sparks flew from between them like flint striking steel. His patience remained as he continued his answer. "As for what I ask of you, well I need you to act as my eyes and ears, my hands and my feet. You see an immortal has put in place some restrictions that hold me back from interfering myself, so I need people with great skill and who would rather see immortals fail at whatever they have planned than see them succeed."

Again Faldrun looked all of them in the eyes one by one, wondering if they would accept his offer or not now he had been open with them. "I have answered your questions, so what do you say?" His fiery eyebrow raised inquisitively as he again awaited their response, most of him wanted to just order them around like the minions they should be, however, he knew this would need a more delicate approach.
Off Topic
Hey guys, sorry this took so long, I had hoped Davic would be able to get a post in before this one but it seems he was unable to do so. Thank you Yana and Noth for being patient and I look forward to your next posts. Davic you are still able to post in the next round and take it from there instead, sorry I couldn't wait any longer but we need to move this thread along. The same as for Davic also applies for you Aeon if you return and see this. I hope to post here again on Monday so if everyone could be speedy on your responses that would be great!
Noth
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Global] Fires of hate

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:19 pm

It seemed that he was not the only one with questions for the Immortal before them, and the crimson-eyed Avriel cast an analytical gaze beside him in order to ascertain the nature of his potential companion. She had stated that she did not necessarily require the assistance of an Immortal in accomplishing her goals, which seemed to hint to the hybrid of either confidence, arrogance, or perhaps simply complacency with her place in life, and therefore a relatively meek goal. It had typically been his experience that those who despised the Immortals; or as the girl had stated, were apathetic towards them, were often ambitious in some regard or another, and whilst he had no idea what the nature of the girl before him was, it seemed viable to seek such information at a later date, especially if they would be interacting together.

However, that had not been decided yet. Noth found the Immortals in general to be anathema, but he was not so proud nor so hateful that he would deny an opportunity to strike at one using another, especially given the likelihood that they both might suffer in the attempt. Under the strain of their questions, the Immortal of Fire relieved the group of his attention, promptly beginning to play rather intently with a ball of fire upon his hand, though it seemed likely that he was trying to convey an idleness about the task, as though it was not at all calculated. The twilight hybrid found that unlikely, because he recognized for all of their faults and tendencies, the Immortals were not stupid, or else they would already have been destroyed by someone far before he had ever been born.

He spoke, declaring that if they were going to waste his time, that they should depart, and the Avriel nearly scoffed. Had he not continued speaking in response to their earlier questions nonetheless, then Noth might have simply abandoned the quest altogether there, confirming his suspicions that Faldrun was attempting to play them instead of seeking out an actual alliance, and admittedly, it did seem the most likely event.

The Immortal continued, wreathing the group with information as to the nature of the Tomb, or rather, his lack of information about the incursion. According to Faldrun, the Immortal of Fire had simply seen an opportunity to strike at his rivals, and had thusly charged into it. Noth contemplated that for a moment, reminiscing on the battle he had fought against the zealots of the man before him at the side of both Etzori soldiers and others who had pledged their service to Xiur and a few others. It had been a festival of slaughter, complete with all of the flaring lights and the bloodshed which accompanied such sacrificial rites.

How strange that those same zealots would be unable to work the will of their god. Nonetheless, that was partially explained by the Immortal, and the idea of another of his ilk sabotaging him seemed rather fitting with his own personal knowledge on the politics of the godlings; a topic that he clearly needed to look into further before he ever decided to campaign against them. Still, the recollection and statements by Faldrun had brought him some information as to whom the fiery fellow considered his opponents, and rather fittingly, Noth found that he also found them to be considerable threats.

The twilight hybrid spoke, his voice steady and firm despite the raging furnace of heat and the sweltering hisses of the magma nearby,

“Very well. I shall work with you on two conditions that I would have you agree to here, and now before the eyes of these ones also.”
A technicality, surely, because if the Immortal deigned to break his own terms, there was no higher force which could effectively punish him.

“First, I refuse to harm those I consider allies or friends.”
He doubted that he would have to regardless, but the godlings were crafty in their ways, and he supposed that one of his soldiers could be subverted by the promise of good deeds and better rewards.

“Second, I require a favor of you. Not now, of course, but this favor will be indeterminate. With the same… energy by which I will pursue your tasks, I wish that from you. As consolation for the broadness of that potential payment, I will agree that the task would be within your realm, that is to say, I will desire something involving fire.”

“Are these terms suitable?”

He finished, a slight and wicked grin pressing across his face. True, he was willing to haggle with the godling, but if he truly wanted his services, then Noth desired recompense for his actions.

Credit to Pegasus

As a note: Noth is a Grandmaster in Intimidation. That means that he's at least as scary as the Count from Sesame Street. Beware.

"The tyrant confuses those he can't convince, corrupts those he can't confuse, and crushes those he can't corrupt." - Anonymous
Yanahalqah
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

[Global] Fires of hate

Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:02 pm

If she had been the scoffing sort, Yana would have scoffed at the Immortal’s words following the voiced possibility of his would-be pawns refusing to aid him. Clearly, the being had no sense of negotiation, lacking it due to his dealings with mortals being limited to his lackeys, no doubt. The Immortal expected this to be a quick affair, asking a question and gaining a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ in response? Ha! How naïve. He believed himself to be in a position to bark orders already? He truly had no clue; he was not the one in control here. Sure, he could roast all of them alive, kill them where they stood for their defiance, but then he would be without his pawns. Yana idly worried over whether or not she’d die if she was killed in this dreamscape. Surely she was not here in physical form, but the same was true for Uleuda, and if one died in the Crystal realm…

Never mind that though, back to Faldrun’s predicament. Sure, he might be a powerful being capable of wiping them all out with just a mere thought, but that did not mean he was in control of the situation. At the moment, only those who had spoken were; that being herself and the creature. They were the ones needing to be appeased, not Faldrun. If he did not prove to be profitable, he was not worthy of their time, not the other way around. Should that be the case, Yana would not hesitate to indeed walk away. She suspected the creature next to her wouldn’t either. However, no such decisions could be made without hearing the customer out. What job did he have in mind, and what did he offer in return… it was a scenario Yana had experienced many times during her mercenary trials. She would weigh one against the other, and either refuse or accept based on that information. Faldrun himself could not approach this from the angle of an Immortal dealing with mortals, as none of those present would cooperate if he did. This was a business transaction, a deal made on their terms. Faldrun had no choice but to listen to those and accept. Sure, he could refuse, but then he’d lose his recruits. Could he find others possibly willing to help him? Probably. But would they agree to actually do his bidding? Or would they prove even more stubborn and apathetic to his cause? It was gamble he would have to take, and probably one he couldn’t afford, if his siblings were already on the move. Time is money after all. Even if his siblings also needed proxies, they had many zealots to pick and choose from. Really, Faldrun had no real choice in the matter.

In the end, he did answer the creature’s question, or at least he did as well as he was able. He knew nothing, it seemed. An opportunist rather than a schemer, eh? Yana wasn’t too sure if that was a good thing or not. This was likely not one elaborate plan of his, and more of a spur of the moment kind of thing, then. It stood to reason as the Immortal embodied fire. “Answer me this,” Yana said, just about falling short of making a demand, “how did Xiur survive? He was impaled through the back with a poisoned blade. Was he unaffected by the poison, or did one of the others manage to heal him?” She’d seen the stab actually affecting the Immortal after all, he’d certainly looked as if he was on the verge of dying from that alone. With the added poison, he should have died. Even if his wound had healed, Doran had hoped they’d overlook the poison, Yana suspected, which would then still kill Xiur. Unless whatshername could heal both at once. It wasn’t that which she wanted to know though, but if the poison would have worked. She did not give a flying hoot about healing. She was fairly sure that from Faldrun’s answer she could gain some valuable intel.

Yana couldn’t quite say she was surprised to hear what they would be doing in his service. Act as his proxy, of course this was what he desired of them. However, he remained vague, telling them all what they already knew, then treating it as if he had given them a decent answer. Yana shook her head slightly. Had he adapted that quickly to the situation that he could already employ the tactics of shrewd conmen? Sliming and being vague, how wonderful. They still were none the wiser.
“You have not answered the question at all,” she retorted, wanting to cross her arms, but keeping one hand on her sword. “We are to be your proxy. Why yes, even a toddler could figure that out. Mind telling us what exactly we are to do?”

The creature’s idea of conditions was a good one, really, one that Yana had to give him credit for. He was sharp, very sharp. If anything, she would not mind working with one of such wit. Regardless of the Immortal actually having given a decent answer or not, Yana would nod slightly as the creature spoke, waiting for him to finish before adding her own conditions for this ‘contract’ of sorts.

“Condition one and two, idem. Condition three. I will retain the right to walk away from this service whenever I so desire, for whatever reason. I will do so without consequence. In return, condition two should no longer be honored. Additionally, I will assure you that I will neither deliberately hinder or help these proxies in their… duties… for as long as they serve you. Neither will I help or hinder any other Immortals, or their proxies. I will remain neutral in this affair, should it come to this.”

She paused for a moment to let it sink in. Then she followed it up with a last statement. “Those are my terms. You can accept, or refuse. Make your choice.”
Davic
Race: Human

[Global] Fires of hate

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 pm

In most situations, Davic liked to think that he was pretty confident. Meditation training had only made that trait stronger, and so he found himself always able to take a mental step back, to observe the reality of his situation and understand that it really wasn’t as bad as it seemed. But right now, that wasn’t working. He shuddered involuntarily every time he saw the ash of his surroundings, but more fearful than the memories the destruction bore was the very current threat that encompassed him. On one side stood Faldrun, Immortal of Fire and the nightmare fuel of his entire childhood. Davic had heard tales of his anger and unjust passion from the monks since he was first apprenticed, and the fiery destruction those vices caused was legendarily final. Facing this Immortal stood an Eidisi and... something else. The inhuman he could recognise was a woman, and though he had never met one of her kind, the lessons he had been taught in the Monastery suggested that she was not abnormal for her race. The same could absolutely not be said for the thing standing alongside her. If the bipedal stance, average height and distinct facial features didn't oppose the thought, Davic would have believed it to be some kind of beast, a monster. Black feathers armoured its body in darkness, but that only made its gaze - red and somehow glowing - that much more obvious and threatening. Davic couldn't justify his terror; It didn't come from spotting some threat in the ebony tones of the creature, but instead was intuitive and instinctual, a primal certainty that whatever this was, it was... wrong. Perhaps a shapeshifter? Davic had read briefly of crystalline creatures from the dry east, could this be one of their ilk? Under any other circumstance the young monk's focus would have rested undivided on this monster, but to do so would be to ignore a threat almost certainly greater. Faldrun was not a presence easily forgotten. And as if that lose-lose game wasn’t enough, the two sides had spent the past few bits in heated argument, and Davic had the joyous position of standing directly between them, in the line of deific fire. He had no way of telling how powerful the creature and Eidisi were, but the brazen, unfiltered opposition they aimed at the Immortal suggested faith in some certain strength. Well, that or just reckless audacity. Davic hadn’t yet had a chance to speak, but that was probably for the best. His own bluntness had gotten him into trouble before. The atmosphere here was scorchingly tense, and antagonising either or both of these sides by offending them would be strictly suicidal. But even so, this argument wasn’t deescalating any time soon. Faldrun’s demands had been met in kind, and it really didn’t seem like any of the people involved were going to step down of their own accord.

So it was that Davic stood up. He’d been resting against a boulder, relaxed in an attempt to make himself seem as non-threatening as possible, but what he needed now was to act assertive, confident, not careful and scared. Suddenly having the gazes of this imposing group entirely on his person cut off his first attempt at speaking, the words dying in his throat, but he couldn’t just sit back down.

“People, this isn’t going to work if you keep being so damn noncommittal.” Davic began, hiding a wince at his own words. That was far more aggressive than he had intended. “None of you have actually given each other any real guarantee to back up your words: You two-” Davic turned to the pair of vaguely-humans, who were beginning to look somehow even more menacing. “Y-You’ve both explicitly stated that you’ll avoid parts of the job if you want to, yet you still expect Faldrun to privy you to his plans and answer your queries j-just on the off chance that you do actually see it through? This is obviously important, Faldrun is risking something just by giving you this information. At least give him some reason to believe you’ll get the job done! But you’re even worse, hothead,” The apprentice swung round to the Immortal, stuttering less as he worked himself up into passionate brashness. “Sure, you’ve told them they’ll get a favour after they finish, but that means they have to trust that you won’t just leave after whatever victory you want us to obtain. You’ve got overwhelming power Faldrun, if you decide not to live up to your word there’s literally nothing I can do to get back at you for it. With other people you can at least threaten them with something if they decide they’ve changed their mind, but what are we meant to do, just hope that you’re feeling generous? You don’t exactly have a clean track record.” By this point Davic had begun gesticulating wildly. Seeming at last to notice exactly who he was talking to, his voice lost it’s angry edge and settled into more measured, inoffensive exasperation.

“Look, the way you get cautious people to go out on a limb for you is by making yourself vulnerable. If you know that I know that I won’t get away with screwing you over, you’ll trust me that much more. I think that’s actually at some level what she was trying to say before.” He gestured to the Eidisi, forcing himself to make eye contact. She’d certainly seemed comfortable with bargaining; What he was saying couldn’t be new to her.
“So that starts with you Faldrun, since you’re the most powerful party involved. If we’re only going to be rewarded upon completion, you have to at least explain to us why your objective is so important, to make it clear that we’d be able to force an exchange out of you at worst, or instead give us some way of holding you to account. I’m not suggesting that you entrust us with your secret hamartia or anything so ultimate, just give us some kind of way to hold you to your word.” Slowly, Davic turned and paced over to the pair of mortals, his body tensing up in a manner that he hoped wasn’t visible as he approached the sable monster-person. “Th-that goes for us too. Maybe you do want to remain neutral, Eidisi, but you must understand how useless that is as a commitment. Faldrun has already stated that we’ll be directly opposing other Immortals in this task, what does he have to gain in trusting you if you’re not going to help him in that? Maybe you have some stronger reason not to involve yourself here, but surely the power of an Immortal can provide something you deem worth fighting to obtain? I… I do understand the clause of not fighting your friends and family,” Davic shifted his eyes unsteadily over to the darker creature. “even if it’s no longer a risk I have to account for. But if Faldrun is to put himself at risk to trust you, being vague about the favour you’ll ask is a betrayal of that. If we are to reach any compromise here, you must confirm it with him. You obviously have a clear idea of what you desire, so making sure it’s within his will and power before the task is complete is as much of a benefit to you as to him. None of us here were going to proceed just upon each other’s word alone, at least I hope as much, but if we are bound together by mutual risk perhaps we can see this through.” Again, Davic was beginning to forget the situation. He’d cast the gaze of his unpatched eye into the distance while talking, hoping both to seem unfazed and to avoid having to stare fear in the face. But without the visible danger he spoke with fearless, untactful ease. “But my own stakes are pretty simple. I only desire the prize already offered, and if Faldrun helps me trust him I lack the power or resources to safely double-cross him. To be honest, I’m more worried about you two leaving, because I’m pretty sure I can’t do this by myself.” Admitting his own weakness did seem risky, but Davic doubted any of the intimidating figures here considered him a threat in the first place. Besides, having them assume him harmless couldn’t be a detriment. The young monk turned yet again, facing Faldrun with fists clenched in an attempt to stop himself from shaking. Depending on how the Immortal of Fire responded, this could very easily be it for him. But burning to death would at the very least be fitting. Perhaps if he met the same fate as he had caused for the rest, he could be redeemed some fraction.

Going to deal with the formatting of this when I can, just really didn't want to delay anything any longer.
Ent
Storyteller - Staff
Storyteller - Staff

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Events

[Global] Fires of hate

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 pm

A flair of frustration suddenly broke across Faldrun's face as he sighed, his eyes turning a darker shade, like the lava around them. Even the air was momentarily hotter, like sticks had just been thrown onto a fire next to you. The immortal cleared his throat as his face regained composure. "You all ask a lot of questions, you know that?" He seemed to chuckle although it was not clear whether it was a chuckle or simply a sound of frustration.

"Immortals are resilient, we are made to survive much more than you mortals." He moved closer to the only woman there, his fiery eyebrow raising, curious of her interest in the matter. "However, it is possible he was healed by another or his attacker was not as accurate as he could have been. My answer here is similar to before, I was not there and I do not know everything as you might think. I know a lot but I do not see all." He stepped back again as the third man spoke, his head turning to face the youngster.

Faldrun's eyes again darkened and he walked to the human, a hand reaching out and landing on the shoulder of the boy. He was able to finish his speech before Faldrun took hold of him. "Call me that again and you will regret it, you are young so I will forgive you for your foolish words." His hand began to heat, like a fire was burning against the skin. Before any damage was done Faldrun released him and stepped back, allowing him the benefit of the doubt due to his young age and the fact that much of what he had said was actually smart and useful.

The fiery immortal looked at the three of them and bowed his head slightly, taking a deep breath. "You." Faldrun pointed to Noth. "You, Noth, have fair terms and assuming you really will pursue this with the energy you seem to imply I accept your terms." He then turned to Yana with another rubbing of his hands together.

"Yanahalqah, I think you may find it difficult to remain neutral when the job at hand is to do your best to sabotage the other immortals and take whatever prize Cassion has hidden away from them." He then finally looked at Davic, the brave and possibly foolish youngster had spoken wisely much to Faldrun's surprise and in all honesty much to his dismay as he the boy had forced him into being more reasonable than he may have planned before. They all had.

"The time will come when you will all be brought to serve me in this endeavour, like I promised if you all act to protect my interests and to the best of your abilities then I will reward you with one favour." He turned his back on them. "You will know when the time comes." With a sudden flash and explosion of flames he was gone, so too were they as they were thrown from the dream and back into their beds where they had fallen asleep that night the whole dream fresh and real in their minds.
Off Topic
Hey everyone, sorry this took so long. Post here one more time if you would like too and then I will grade it when I get the chance but be ready for the next step of the mod bomb this season!
Noth
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Global] Fires of hate

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Noth had expected the Immortal of fire and flames to suddenly erupt into some manner of monologue on why he was superior to those he had gathered, and how they were nothing more than pawns in his massive scheme, and that they would do what he said or else they would suffer. Actually, the hybrid probably would not have reacted nearly as favorably as the hotheaded Immortal did to the matter of business. If he were in control, he would have used some of the fiery power that he possessed within his domain, and place a curse upon each of those gathered, forcing them to serve whether they desired it or not. Thankfully, it seemed that Faldrun was either unable or at the very least unwilling to do something of that nature. Instead, he responded with a simple statement that the entire group asked a lot of questions, and then erupted with a slight chuckle that seemed somehow disingenuous in its fabrication.

There was another there who joined the pair, and he spoke in a way that seemed utterly foolish to the hybrid. It was not necessarily that his thoughts were without reason, but it seemed almost halfway through his speech that he had forgotten who he was addressing; not simply some local villagers, but a god and murderers. Noth cast a quick glance over at the woman who had joined him in his questioning of Faldrun, and immediately wondered what sort of experience she actually possessed in the more martial fields. Even if she was absolutely lacking in them, it seemed unreasonable to conclude that she would be useless in their endeavors; Faldrun had to have seen some purpose in gathering her to him.

The fiery-headed Immortal set the young man in his place, threatening him fiercely for his insolent behavior, and reminding him of his position in matters. He was forgiven for his trespasses on the basis of being young, and Noth approved of the judgement, beginning to find that the godling was reasonable in his actions. It was a sharp contrast from the activities and actions of his zealots, and for the first time the hybrid questioned how much of what was done in Faldrun’s name was done by his order. Naturally, he recognized that for there to be future peace, he would still need to eliminate the hot-head, but perhaps he could save him for last if he was especially logical in his work… or perhaps he could even be pardoned his transgressions in favor of remaining obedience.

If there was a single point made by the young man that stuck to the hybrid, it was that there would be no way to punish Faldrun should he suddenly decide to betray the group. In the end though, there was little that could be done about that, and so the Avriel simply allowed the thought to desist in its own time. There was at least some semblance of sincerity that seemed to cross Faldrun’s face as he agreed to Noth’s terms, finding them suitable for their business arrangement on the basis that the hybrid truly pursued the tasks given him with the ferocity which he had promised. The Prince of Eternal Mercies was a cruel and wicked individual, but he understood the necessity of keeping his promises and of making sure that his word was an airtight promise. If others believed that he would simply stab them in the back the trill that he desired to break his promise, then they would be unwilling to work with him in the future, and such dreadful things would forbid him from his future work.

There was another piece of information: They were doing this because Cassion had hidden items away from the other Immortals. Noth was not entirely familiar with the nature of Cassion, and he made a mental note to check with his allies to learn more about the fellow so that he might ready himself for whatever trials would be hurled against him. Thankfully, it seemed likely that they would only be fighting against other mortals for their items, and if there was one thing that the twilight hybrid was capable of doing, it was eliminating those who opposed him with terrible violence, striking terror in the hearts of those who bade it acceptable to struggle against his will.

They were dismissed with the same message from earlier, that if they served well, they would be served in kind. With a final shudder of reality, the Immortal detonated into a blinding flash of light, and the heat of the magma nearby sweltered to an unbearable point, and a trill later everything had vanished, the thudding sound of the hybrid’s own heartbeat the only thing to comfort him. Their meeting was over, and their task given to them.

"It will be done".

Credit to Pegasus

Yanahalqah
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

[Global] Fires of hate

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:56 pm

It seemed for a moment, as the fires blazed more furiously, and the temperature skyrocketed, that Faldrun’s patience had burned up. Fortunately, the hotheaded Immortal regained his composure quickly, clearing his throat and making what appeared to be an attempt at a mock-complaint. Yana wasn’t sure if it really was just that. Still, he did answer her question, and the Yludih made a mental note to remind her that the Immortals were in fact not all-knowing. Meaning that they too could be deceived. That was some quality information right there, but she would not tell Faldrun that, or let him know in any way. Instead, she kept her poker face on, expression blank as usual.

Someone who hadn’t said a word until then spoke up, speeching like a politician during campaign period. Faldrun wasn’t having it, obviously not enjoying the tone and words used when referring to the Immortal. The hothead had grabbed the young man, hissing threats, but also choosing to let him off with a warning instead of punishment. At least for now.

Once more did the Immortal of fire speak up, addressing those gathered one by one. Yana’s temper flared up much like Faldrun’s hair when he spoke her name, her true name. For just a moment she considered warning him not to call her by it again, lest the favor she required would be replaced by him not resisting as she tried to kill him instead. But that would be foolish, and might even draw attention to the name too. Faldrun, a deity he might be, had butchered the pronunciation, making it sound a little more mundane. Or at least it sounded considerably less Yludih, if the others had ever head a Yludih speak in Ulehi.

“I only said I would be neutral if I walked away from this,” she responded. “Not while helping you.” It would be difficult to achieve both, indeed, if not impossible. Once again the Immortal gave them some extra information, revealing a little of his intentions. Cassion had set up some game for the Immortals to play in, it seemed, and once more the mortals had to act the part of pawns. It never did end, did it? Well, according to the Firelord before her, it might, if they decided to help him. Yana was not going to refuse, she had decided, and if anything, she was not planning on giving up halfway through either. She did not necessarily need Faldrun’s favor –she was sure she could, given time and resources, accomplish what she’d have him do—but this would make things a whole lot easier. Quicker too.

“Very well,” she nodded, first at Faldrun, then to her would-be companions. “Meet you then.”

Return to “Emea”