[Academy] It's ether here ... or there.

24th of Vhalar 719

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

[Academy] It's ether here ... or there.

24th Vhalar, 719

Faith Augustin was going to be leaving here soon. She had enjoyed her visit to Viden, but equally she was looking forward to getting home and spending time with her children. Yet, while she was here she had learned a lot, done a lot. There were many interesting people here, and Faith had heard from one of the other professors that there was someone in the Institute of Arcana who was researching ether specifically. Faith had presented her thesis, and her understanding of the influence of ether in blood was part of that. Granted, it was a small part of it, but Dean Rush had been speaking about a new student who had taken the entry exams and had impressed. Faith had queried when Dean Rush had said that the student in question, one West Wellin, was very knowledgeable on ether.

Faith was - very much - a teacher. And, as someone who was a teacher, she couldn't walk away from a situation where she might help a student. So, Faith had sent a message to West Wellin, and invited him to a meeting.

After all, if she was able to help one student on their way, then it was a good thing. Faith didn't doubt that there were others who might be interested, but they had in all probability attended her guest lectures. This student had literally just taken the entrance exams and so had not had that opportunity

To: West Wellin

Dear Mr Wellin,

My name is Faith and I work for the Scalvoris University. I have been visiting Viden to complete my Licentiate in Medicine. I wonder if you would like to meet in order to discuss my thesis. The reason I ask this is because Dean Rush tells me that you are interested in pursuing an academic study of ether.

As part of my Licentiate Thesis, I looked at the impact of ether on blood, specifically identifying the different impact of different magic-types. I have been able to isolate these, and have considered them with a specific focus on Necromancy. I would be more than happy to share my findings nd research with you, if it would help you in your studies.

If you would like to meet up, I will be in the library, sitting at the desk nearest the door. I will be there this afternoon (the 24th) and tomorrow morning (the 25th). If you wish to meet, I'm more than happy to do so.

With very best regards ~ and all wishes for good luck in your studies.

Faith Augustin.

That done, she went back to her reading. Should "West" make his way to the library, Faith Augustin was indeed sitting at the desk in question. She was well-known, of course, and there was still an element of people staring at her, even though she had been here most of the trials since she arrived. Even though she was sitting, it was obvious that she was a very small person, in terms of her stature. Five foot four, she had a very slight frame and pale-white skin. Her jet-black hair framed her face but, as she looked up and surveyed the room with eyes which were such a pale shade of blue that they were silver. The marks which she bore from the Immortals who had blessed her were obvious - she certainly made no attempt to hide them and she had a stack of books next to her.
word count: 585
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Re: [Academy] It's ether here ... or there.

Llyr Llywelyn had finally done it. Nineteen arcs of life, and for the first time, he could call himself a student. He held the confirmation paper of his registration, a temporary slip that he’d been assured would work to access the third floor of the Academy’s library. It wasn’t his birth name on the paper, nor was it his chosen name, instead it was the closest name he felt comfortable giving. He didn’t want certain others to know he was in the north, or that he was to learn of Ether at the Institute of Arcana.

West Wellin, then. Another name to add to his growing collection of identities. Would West have differences from Llyr? He smiled slightly, a sense of eagerness that came with the sensation of a potentially new life that he could settle in Viden.

So, there he was, staring at the paper in his hands, blocking the door until someone cleared their throat.

Llyr stepped aside and apologized for the accidental obstruction.

“This is for you,” said the person, who hadn’t intended to go through the door at all. Instead, they held out an envelope.

“Me?”

“You’re West Wellin?” The person glanced at the halo that hovered above the tall biqaj’s head.

“Yes! Yes, I am,” he agreed. “West! That is me.”

The courier held the envelope out a little farther. Llyr finally accepted it. He wasn’t sure if he was supposed to tip the messenger? He went to search for a coin in his belt satchel, but by the time he looked up, the person was already gone.

Llyr returned his attention to the letter. How odd. Maybe it was from Doran? He smiled at the thought of the alchemist, then quickly took off a glove and used his thumbnail to slice open the envelope. The biqaj kept his thumbnails just a bit longer, specifically for such utility.

When he saw the name of the sender, his eyes widened into saucers. The irises flurried in colors. He more than just recognized that name, he thought of the letters he’d exchanged with the woman before… under his married name. He blinked a few times, glanced around the hall, then hurried into the nearest corner he could find.

The lanky biqaj leaned against the wall and read the letter. He felt almost dizzy and he had to read it a few times before he felt as if he had a handle on it. Research? Doctor Faith Augustin wanted to speak to him about ether and blood? What had Dean Rush told her?! He’d only just registered, he didn’t have… Llyr thought of the notes he’d been writing over the past few trials during his stay in Viden.

Llyr looked around to find some indicator as to the time. If he hurried… maybe he’d catch her at the library. Did he have time to retrieve his notes?

The blond decided to try for it. His wings outstretched, in an excited flutter, and he sprinted down the hall. Of all the places from the Academy, he knew how to get to the Obsidian Prism fast. When he arrived to the suite, he didn’t see Doran anywhere, but collected the journals and loose sheets of papers that he’d left out from earlier that morning. He also grabbed a few scrolls and books.

He sprinted back the way he came, then detoured toward the library.

~ ~ ~

By the time he reached the door of the library, “West Wellin” was drenched in sweat. He had two crossbody satchels filled to the brim with scrolls and papers, sagged heavy with thick academic books. The biqaj bent over, hands on his thighs, while he recovered his breath from the near-constant rushing and running. Fortunately, he still looked as good as he might’ve otherwise. Edashan potions made his pale blond hair, tussled as it was, appear as if it’d been well-cared for. His skin, though flushed silver-blue from the biqaj’s unique blood, looked smooth and unblemished.

He fixed his posture and at six foot three, his shadow grew long as it cast away from him. His halo brightened above his head, then dimmed in consideration to not blind other people. The biqaj’s gossamer wings fluttered, ether shaped like dragonfly wings, and then folded neatly behind him. He took off his gloves, tucked them in the pocket of his tailored coat, and strode over to the woman who was obviously the one he was looking for. He knew the general summary of what Faith Augustin looked like, after all, and that was without the other students staring at her.

Llyr wasn’t entirely sure how to act though. She wasn’t nobility, as far as he knew… but she was better than nobility in a lot of ways, least from what remained of his rural boy's perspective from his younger arcs that weren't so long ago. So, he hesitated once he reached the table and then he awkwardly bowed. The crossbody satchels swung forward and forced his bow a little lower than he intended. He gathered one in his arms to fix the balance of the weight and straightened his back. His shoulders postured square and he held his chest up in a formal, almost soldierly posture.

When he spoke, his voice held no stammer nor awkwardness. His voice was smooth, as silvery as his blood, and one might even say perfect.

“Doctor Faith Augustin?” he asked as if he weren’t sure, but without waiting for much of an answer, he introduced himself. “Good trial. My name is West Wellin. I received your letter.”

He fidgeted with a strap on the satchel he cradled in his arms, then he realized what he was doing. Llyr quickly lowered it, stopping his fidget, and cleared his throat.

“May I sit with you, please?” He glanced at the blackened fingertips of the woman, the markings of Immortals which he didn’t recognize as to which was which, but he noticed the markings all the same. From everything he’d gathered about the famous doctor, he knew she wasn’t a mage. His eyes hadn’t settled into any one color yet, instead blending and warping between various hues.

The young mage wouldn’t sit unless offered. He did, however, start to talk more with a hurried tone to his voice as if he were still rushing about. “I would have come sooner, but my notes were elsewhere, and you wrote that you’re studying blood and ether in blood, or on blood, and have you spoken to Doctor Doran Thetys? He has similar research interests too and is far more knowledgeable about blood and alchemy and the effects of such, and the like and the way of different magics through alchemical application of blood.”

He took a quick breath, then continued, “You said necromancy is your focus? Does that have a wide range of application in the medical disciplines? I didn’t know alchemy could be used for medicine! Sorry, I should probably know that already. I, uh, my studies aren’t that far along. I only registered totrial and am still putting together everything I’m supposed to do. There’s already so much, did you know how much paperwork is required just to start writing more papers so you can write more papers? And you have to read so much in order to write so little!”

Llyr made a wild, waving gesture at the library around them. He blushed and said, “Sorry. I’m honored you wrote to me and offered your time, Doctor Augustin. Do you have something specific to request of me? Anything. I mean, I'll do anything to help. Did you need my blood?”

word count: 1305
Please — consider me a dream.
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

24th Vhalar, 719

Faith was, as always, reading. The books next to her were alchemy, anatomy, medicine, those sorts of things. The texts were advanced and her concentration was total. However, when she heard her name, Faith lifted her silver eyes to look at him, with a smile. Looking up - and up - she wondered if the whole world was tall on purpose? Had it been part of someone's plan? Maybe Labrae had purposely shrunk her, Faith thought, in order to make it so that she had to look up at everyone. Even a ... winged biqaj? The thoughts flitted through her mind as she stood up and smiled in greeting. "Oh, hello!" She seemed - because she was - genuinely pleased to know it was him and, even as he asked, she was gesturing to the chair and motioning for him to sit, with a "oh, please do.". Her movements were calm, fluid and unhurried. Every movement was careful and considered as she held out her hand and shook his. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Please, call me Faith."

Wings.

That was new, she thought to herself. His biqaj eyes swirled in a mass of colour, and Faith considered that as she sat back down. Then, she listened as he did what she could only describe as launch into speech. She nodded that yes, she had met Doctor Thetys, although she didn't expand on it until he was finished. While he talked, Faith listened carefully, as was her way, and she noticed a few things about the exuberant young man. His movements, the way his gaze moved, the movements of those strange wings. Faith sat, hands folded together on the table and she maintained a slight smile as he spoke. He was keen, there was no doubting it and he was close to her age, she thought. It was his final statement which led to the slightest raise of an eyebrow from her, but her gaze remained friendly.

"I have met with Professor Thetys, yes. He's a fascinating man," Faith said, with a smile. As for his other questions, she entwined her fingers together and considered her answer before she spoke. "Necromancy was my focus, yes, but that was necessity due to the Rynmere Plague." She shrugged, just slightly. "I have looked at the different ether types, all of them." Her expression was friendly and, as she spoke her next words, she smiled a soft but genuine smile. "I asked you to come here because Dean Rush told me about a talented young student who had shown immense promise in his entrance exams with an interest in ether and it's influence on blood. " Faith saw no need to hold back from him that bit of information.

"It seemed rather harsh to me that, had you enrolled just ten trials ago, you would have been able to attend my guest lectures, so I thought I'd offer to help you if I can. Share what I know, discuss with you what I gave the lectures on. Depending on how far along in terms of your understanding, we can discuss whatever interests you. " She couldn't help but grin though, "And yes, it's a lot of reading. There's a technique, though. Skim the abstract, if it seems as though it might be relevant, go to the conclusion. If, after the conclusion, you think it is defiitely relevant, read it. If you're not sure, put it in the 'maybe' pile and if no, then it's no. " She glanced around the room and gave the slightest of shrugs. "In Rharne, we're opening up a new Institute of Innovation, where we will work in a multi-disciplinary manner to push boundaries. I've put 'Skills for Study' on all curricula, appropriate to the level of study itself. Otherwise, you end up just ... learning by accident." As a teacher, Faith was a particular 'type' - she saw no reason to make the process harder than it had to be for them. If she made the process as accessible as she could then, when it came time to do it, that was up to them how much or little they did and Faith could judge them and their work fairly.

"So," she asked. "I wanted to offer my help. If you'd like it, that is, I'm happy to discuss whatever you'd like."
word count: 735
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The young woman was friendly and looked younger than he’d expected. Llyr knew her age, for he’d collected enough details on the famous woman, but with all she’d accomplished in her life… it was difficult to not imagine someone much older. She wasn’t much older than him, though, and for that reason, Llyr felt an exceptional level of enthusiasm.

The moment she told him to call her: Faith…

…he fell into a flurry of words while he sat down at the offered chair. His eyes changed color while he spoke. He knew he was making a fool of himself, but he simply couldn’t suppress his excitement.

His movements appeared an odd blend, to an observant eye, as he switched between awkward and graceful. At points, he seemed composed, such as when he straightened his spine and sat primly at the edge of the chair… yet his fingers fidgeted wildly with whatever they touched, whether the satchels that he moved to take off, or the cuffs of his sleeves.

His mutably colored gaze glanced to make eye contact every few trills. Otherwise, he glanced around the library, or down to look at her clothes, or to the books on the table, or to his own fidgety fingers. Every time he glanced at his fingers, he stopped fidgeting for approximately ten trills. As soon as his gaze moved on, though, he started to fidget again. His wings fluttered now and then, a quiet buzzing when they lifted and then settled down like gossamer coattails.

Llyr offered his blood, though he formed it in a question. He assumed if the doctor was studying ether in blood, she could make great use of his own blood.

When she responded, he lifted his gaze to look at her. He made eye contact, and his irises settled to a light lavender and blue array of pigment much like splashes of watercolor captured in the rings around his pupils.

Unlike when he spoke, Llyr proved much less fidgety and his gaze didn’t wander. He seemed intent to catch every word, though his gaze flitted down to look at her lips as if checking if he had heard a word correctly or not.

When she called Professor Thetys a fascinating man, Llyr nodded with a small but happy smile. When she mentioned the Rynmere Plague, he nodded again though his smile faded away. A quiet, nervous laugh escaped him when she finally mentioned Dean Rush talking about him, and he looked away for a moment, with a bemused expression of confusion.

His gaze returned when she explained why she’d invited him. Llyr’s eyes widened when she offered to talk about whatever interested him, and she grinned and shared with him a technique to get through the academic reading.

Llyr shuffled the contents of a satchel for a moment, then took out a journal and a charcoal pencil. The blond flipped it open, then scribbled the advice about abstracts and conclusions. He closed the journal and looked up again when Faith mentioned a new Institute of… Innovation in Rharne. Llyr exhaled, slightly overwhelmed.

“Okay! Yes. There is…” If it weren’t for the Edashan potion that helped smooth his voice into perfection, the biqaj would have descended into stammers. Instead, he simply went silent and he picked up the second satchel he'd brought with him. He opened the leather case, then took out journals and scrolls. Despite the messy state of the case, since he’d rushed over, he deliberately organized the items in neat stacks on the table itself.

“As you're aware, I haven’t gotten far into my studies. One of the reasons why I am specializing in ether is because it is ether which all sparks interact with. Is this not interesting, Docto--… Faith,” he corrected himself when he remembered she’d said to call her that. “All sparks cast their magic through ether, but despite it being the same substance, it expresses itself in such differences! One would not mistake a necromancer for a defier, yet they both draw ether through their sparks.”

“Have you ever been to Emea? Truly?” he asked while he set his satchel to the side. His long fingers traced over the scrolls he’d brought out, then he picked one out. He hesitated, waiting for an answer, then looked at her and said, “Emea appears to be completely made from ether, which suggests to me that our minds or… I mean, the actual physical mind - the brain, yes? - has a natural source of ether within it. Everyone with a brain and soul and open eyes can dream, can’t they? But it’s not only the brain that is shown in a dream. It is often the person’s entire body.”

He unrolled the scroll. On it was a crude, but scientific sketch of an autopsied body with the organs lined up to the side. Llyr grabbed a nearby paperweight and placed it at the top so he could flatten the sketch. Near each organ, sketched notations of symbols were there… but they weren’t of any known language. They slightly resembled alchemical symbols in the shape of their designs. Tiny scrawled text in the language of Vahanic filled the margins.

“So, then I consider, maybe ether interacts with each part of the body differently?” suggested Llyr. He pointed at the tiny diagram of the heart. “When I cast magic, I often feel it through my lungs… not my brain. Though I don’t know if one can feel their brain. Anyway, perhaps it is not the brain then, and maybe it isn’t organ-based exactly… and here, we step into your and Doctor Thetys' research areas. That maybe blood creates the dreaming world through some sort of reaction between it and ether!”

“What if ether and blood have the same properties? Liches, after all, replace their blood with ether, don’t they? Yet they are able to operate the same as if they still have blood.” Llyr smiled slightly as he looked over his own notes. “When Doran told me about how spells can be alchemically extracted from the blood of mages and... I realized that maybe blood naturally has ether in it? That everything to do with ether is generated by our own bodies! For it seems that ghosts do not have ether.”

“Our interaction with ether, as a people… no matter the color of our blood, because as you and I both know, I bleed silver and yet… there is no seeming difference to my relation to casting ether. Or… none that makes me think it is due to my parentage, that is. Only due to the sparks.” Llyr shrugged, then he reached over and grabbed his journal. His fingers tapped against the edge, then he looked at Faith and said, “Why do you think ether exists, Faith? Any more than why blood exists, yes? Because it sustains life? Do you… something I wished to ask Doctor Thetys but can tell he does not like to talk about it so directly...”

“You have background study in Immortals, yes? When an Immortal appears to bleed, do you think they are bleeding, or do you think it is some sort of illusion? How much of Immortals are physical and how much are they manifestations of ether in the waking world like we appear in the world of dreams? Do you know?”

word count: 1243
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

24th Vhalar, 719

There was something about his enthusiasm which Faith found quite endearing. After all, she was very much of the opinion that this topic was vitally important, and he seemed to be, too. So, Faith listened to him carefully, attending to what he said with fascination. The Dean was right, she thought. This one was bright, and there was something about his thought processes - the way that he was both logical and excited - which made her think that he would end up going a long way. She considered his words and she smiled slightly. His movements were a strange mixture of scattered, frenetic, and in other places very calm and controlled. The same was true of his thought processes, Faith considered. In some ways he was disciplined and focused, but in others he was a bit all over the place. She understood it, though, there was a moment in study where things started to focus, to come together - until then they could seem very disparate and all over the place. He was in between the two, just starting to see the links, but not yet comprehending them fully.

She looked at the drawing, at the diagram and she listened until he was finished. It had been like flicking a switch, she thought with a smile, and suddenly all of these words came pouring out of him. He ended his long speech with a list of questions and she considered them, carefully. "Well, I think there are a number of things. So, forgive me if I tell you things you already know. But, this is what I know." Fingers tapped against the table and she considered where to start. "First, there are things which seem to be the same across all bloods," although she hadn't looked at animal blood yet, she told him. But, across mortals, "all blood separates out into two distinct liquids which appear to be quite different. There is yellow blood and red. In biqaj, it is silver, not red. But the yellow blood seems to be more or less the same across species. And it is that which ether impacts." Faith kept a close eye to see if she was talking too much, if it was going over his head, if it was boring him, or if it was at an acceptable level.

"It is in the red blood - or silver - where the differences lay. There are, I believe, blood types. No, that's not true, I know there are. I have developed a means of infusing blood from one person to another. Taking my blood and putting it into yours. But the red and silver blood, it has minute but important variations. Some people's blood is compatible with each other, some is not." One human, she explained, could give their blood to another human - to replace blood lost in a battle or due to a wound or for all sorts of reasons - and it would be completely incompatible. Yet, a Sev'ryn could give blood to the same human, and that would work. "There are types, I am sure, of red blood. I've developed a knack for knowing which will work, but ... " Faith shrugged. It was hard to pin down.

"It is in the yellow blood, though, that ether impacts. I believe ..." Faith considered for a moment and she sighed slightly "I believe that what they bleed can be physical blood, yes. I was once in Oscillus, some arcs ago. A number of us were brought there, on U'frek's boat. First to Ne'haer and then, through a portal, to Oscillus. In Ne'haer there was a council of Immortals. It was the first time I had met one." That seemed like a dozen lifetimes ago, Faith thought to herself and smiled.

"The place where we were in Ne'haer was attacked, and we were ushered through the portal. When we got through, someone had stabbed Xiur." It was well-documented at the time, she didn't mind saying that much. There was more, of course, which she did not say. "He bled." Looking at West, she gave a shrug. "Whether ether has a different effect on the organs of the body? That's interesting. I don't think so, but my reason for not thinking so is ... secondary." With a rueful smile she continued. "The Rynmere Plague was fundamentally a plague which impacted those who had been around ghosts and ectoplasm. It was, if you like, an ether-plague. It had the same impact on every organ. But that's not conclusive, and is certainly worth further study." She smiled at him, a slight raising of her lips. "And all of this talent of yours is wasted on a faculty other than science. Come to the dark side of academia, West." She was, quite obviously, teasing. Yet also - a little bit - serious.

"So," Faith said, more seriously. "I'd like to help you while I'm here. I'm not here for much longer, but if I could arrange for you to be allowed use of the Eclipse Portals, that would allow you travel to Rharne or Scalvoris instantaneously and back here, of course. So, have a think about how I can be useful to you over the next few trials and from there, maybe I could offer you some tuition, from a medicine viewpoint." After all, she explained, the whole point of the Rharne Institute was that there was no such thing as separate disciplines. There were issues to be solved and situations to be explained; phenomena to be explored. From every angle.
word count: 936
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Whether Llyr kept aware that the young woman was observing him, he didn't show any signs of wariness beyond his inherent pendulum swing between frenetic anxiety and controlled composure. It almost followed the beat of his heart, and rhythm of his breath, calm when he inhaled and anxiety when he exhaled. As if each loss of breath concerned him, and when he reclaimed the oxygen to his lungs, that concern momentarily got soothed. Regardless of any observations placed on him, Llyr was far too focused with the subjects at hand and his new studies than to care about how he might've been perceived. He felt far more anxious about how his work would be judged by the doctor while he spread out the diagram drawing and continued to explain his forming theories about ether, sparks, and Emea.

The biqaj's eyes brightened, the irises dappled with violet and orange colors like the petals of a flower that bloomed outward from his pupils. He gazed at Faith, as if mesmerized, while she considered his many questions and then started to actually answer! Llyr had gotten carried away, of course, and asked far more than he probably should have but the inquiries had escaped during his excitement. Behind him, his gossamer dragonfly wings fluttered as if shaking off dust, then folded again.

Within the first answer, he flipped open his journal. His gaze lingered, but switched to glance at the pages to make sure they were blank. He scribbled notes while he listened: yellow and red blood? yellow and silver blood? Yellow blood... in all species, that ether interacts with. His eyes widened, and when Faith seemed to pause to check if he were listening, he quickly nodded with eagerness for her to continue.

Blood types was scrawled onto the pages next. His scribbles paused when she spoke of infusing blood between people, and he tried to imagine how such might be accomplished. Magic? A momentary shudder ran through him at the thought of a human's red blood literally mixing with his silver veins. But then, he supposed it wasn't too far away from what Doran did. Doran extracted blood from people after all, so he supposed Faith just reversed that process. He wanted to ask how one determined if blood was compatible with veins but he managed to remain quiet as he closely listened to the example that even humans could be incompatible with each other, but a Sev'ryn might be compatible with a human. His thoughts overlapped each other, in many directions, but it only showed when his scribbling changed from writing words into a gentle scratching of arcane-like symbols to the margins of his journal.

What Faith told him, it made Llyr reconsider the pursuits of medicine and alchemy. Yet, wasn't this what the university was for? To discuss such matters with people already knowledgeable in those pursuits rather than having to learn them all on his own? He could focus on ether, and maybe, one trial, he could also discover things to share with such accomplished doctors like Doran and Faith while they attended to their own research in the meantime.

"Oh, you were with Doran in Oscillus, then?" he asked with an accidental higher-pitch to his voice while he slightly bounced to sit on the very edge of his chair. He hesitantly smiled, thin at first and then he recalled that he didn't have to hide his once-crooked teeth with the Edashan potion that had corrected them so he widened his smile and revealed his teeth in doing so. "He told me about it, some. But not so much, I don't think he mentioned a portal was involved or the council itself. That sounds so amazing. I've never met an Immortal, myself. I don't think they would like me, though, so it's probably for the best."

He settled back on his chair some, and tried to not fidget with his journal but he brought it to rest in his lap so he could write notes closer. The conversation turned to the Rynmere Plague, which he listened closely about, as well. An ether-plague... He scribbled a few notes, but paused when he noticed her slight smile at him and then teased him that he should come join the science disciplines instead.

A vivid silvery-blue blush crossed over Llyr's face. He quickly lowered his gaze, and a tiny involuntary giggle bubbled up and escaped him. The noise worsened his blush. He placed a hand over his brow, as if to shadow the sun, but meant to hide the sudden wave of overwhelmed embarrassment at what felt like flattery from Dr. Augustin. "No, no," he tried in an almost-waver of his naturally-deep voice. "There are plenty brilliant minds, like you and Do-ctor Thetys, in the sciences."

He lowered his hand, regathering his composure quick enough, and added quick, "Arcana is a sorely neglected field, and while I recognize mages such as myself are an incredible minority within the world, it is something that I think needs far greater understanding. Not only for mages, but for people who inevitably discover themselves either interacting with them or studying them. Fear and execution only extend so far, as does leaving it to individuals to blindly explore." Of course, Llyr thought of his home in Quacia but he didn't add that detail about it. He was West, here, after all and West didn't openly come from Quacia like Llyr did.

Llyr adjusted his posture to sit up even taller. His halo shimmered above his blond head, and he nodded at the offer to be allowed use of... Eclipse Portals? He wasn't exactly sure what those were, but he nodded again anyway.

"Yes, please," he said without thought - always appreciating the opportunity to travel quickly after the nightmare that had been taking a boat from Quacia to Etzos and getting captured by pirates in the process, and almost getting eaten by a sea leviathan. His eyes widened, irises turning a pearly white, at the offer to help with tuition. The blush returned to his cheeks. "I... oh... Doctor Augustin, I mean- Faith, that is... generous. Thank you. Yes, I will think about it! I've never been to Rharne, or Scalvoris for that. I'd very much like to visit, though. Especially this Institute you mention."

He kept himself from rambling on, with a small lick to wet his lips, then closed his journal. Llyr wouldn't dismiss her, of course, and he wouldn't assume he was meant to leave until she made it clear which she wanted. While the biqaj had plenty of questions still, he also had plenty of new information that bounced around in his head and written down in his notes. Part of him wanted to search through the nearby shelves and start to look for any mentions of yellow blood so he could delve into research about the matter. He also wondered what Doran would think about it, or if he already knew about it. Llyr nervously proceeded however the accomplished young woman wished to - but he didn't want to take up her time any more than he already had. Before they parted though, he did promise that he would continue his research and send her any findings that might interest her - and that if he did get allowance of the Eclipse Portals then one trial, when he could, he would visit the other campuses in Rharne and Scalvoris.
word count: 1264
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Llyr:

Knowledge:
Research x 5
Etiquette x 3

Loot: Permission to Use Eclipse Portals to Rharne/Scalvoris.
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: 5
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.

Faith:

Knowledge: -
Loot: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.

- - -
Comments: Llyr’s excitement at receiving a letter from the famous Faith Augustin and being able to talk to her was almost tangible, and I also enjoyed reading about how he wasn’t sure how to act in her presence.

Faith’s wondering if the whole world was tall on purpose amused me. I like how approachable she is despite being such an incredibly famous and accomplished young woman.

The conversation itself was very interesting, especially the post where Llyr wondered if ether interacts with each part of the body differently. Llyr and Faith discussed a few things that I hadn’t even considered until I read their posts!

I also noticed that you mentioned a certain alchemist. I always find it interesting when other people talk about my PCs.

Anyway, I wonder if Llyr will end up using the Eclipse Portals and travel to Scalvoris or Rharne sometime.

Enjoy your rewards!

word count: 197

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”