• Mature • Burning hearts, Cleansing fires

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect

Moderator: Pegasus

Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Ignoble Thanatologist
Renown: +225
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 3

Contribution

Burning hearts, Cleansing fires

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:06 am

I
Saun 10th arc 719 (7 trials before the assault)

A day's rest wasn't enough.

It took every part of Sybil's being to explain what had happened, in truth, to the people of the town. Wald and Sybil were still fresh upon the minds, yet... It was impossible to fathom, for people who merely worried about the wrath of nature, to consider that retribution would be attempted upon the two mere days after such a victory.

This truth was the first step.

Sow doubts among the people through the cold reality of truth. There would be no deception behind Sybil's words. Every question asked by the Reeve would be answered honestly. Every interjection and disbelieving look from the citizenry, answered with the tactful composure of an iron maiden of mental fortitude. It was paced, strenuous, but the conversation among the town was slowly cultivated towards a singular purpose. The exorcist's words were seeping deeply into the tongues of speakers of gossip.

The public execution was an act of solidarity. It made no sense for them to turn their backs on it, now. Which is exactly why Sybil had pushed for that specific brand of execution. Bind the local bonds together tightly, a sense of moral righteousness among people who likely were fine with the status quo.

The town wasn't pushed to extremism. Not yet. But its culture was changing.

Laying on their side, resting on the Reeve's bed, Sybil had reached the end of their story.

Four men inhabited this place, around the amply lit hearth. Wald, looking no less wild than he normally did. Karlsson, amber eyes threatening to scowl at the abyss itself in the eyes, dressed in finery. The Reeve of the town, pinching the bridge of his nose, wearing the very same armor he had been assigned at the start of his appointment to the town. And finally Sybil, clad in little more than small clothes, complaining that the heat was tearing into their very skin, yet covered in a fur blanket, the cold too much.

"It's settled, with the way forward. You're tasked with the safety of the people of this town, and your actions have allowed for the continual decay of safety in your appointed region." Karlsson said, thick hand adjusting the cravat upon his chest, loosening it. He leaned forward in his chair, hands clasped over his lap. The look in his eyes was something... Horrifying.

"I keep telling you... It wasn't my idea to have that expedited trial." The Reeve rebutted, eyes glancing between the three forces in the room. One, of benevolent social influence. Two, of immense intimidation of physicality and social pressure.

Raising a hand, Karlsson's eyes stared daggers, "I'll have none of it. Do your duty, or your superiors will be informed of your ineptitude." His voice, never raising into a yell, yet... Carried with it such a deep level of authority, that yelling and screaming could perhaps be a catharsis at this point, "I expect you to make this exemplar 'wrong', 'right', again. My daughter will stay under your protection until her recovery. You will afford Master Lowca the materials he needs to put an end to this nonsense."

The Reeve's lips parted, shakily, in protest.

"Wald... Do you have what you need, for your expedition?" Sybil asked, words cutting through the argument. It was clear that the exhausted exorcist had their work cut out for them, yet their tone remained calm, "... Thank you for bringing me here. But I think from here on, I can... Handle matters with the Reeve and Karlsson. ... If you need anything... Now's the time to ask."
word count: 626
"The machinations of apathy benefit only those that have power upon you. Yet, are not all gods and men made equal beneath the weight of steel? What then to the flames that tempered that iron into steel? To make what was impure, pure again, it must be sent through a crucible of flame. Cooked until all that is left is the purity of a blameless soul. Iron that weeps is not steel. Iron that has been tortured, burned, scorched, becomes steel through redemption alone."
-Sybil Malach, justifying the burning of a necromancer.

NPCs: Karlsson, Margaret
Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Profession: Hunter
Renown: +155
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Medal count: 2

Contribution

Re: Burning hearts, Cleansing fires

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:35 am

Wald was fidgeting quite a bit, spending so much time in civilization was taking a bit of a toll. The scouting trip would be a time to relax in his element once again. No longer forced to sleep in an odd bed, though he could not head back to his camp. Things were not completely off with that though, as for over six arcs, he was moving from site to site. The only reason for his campsite now was a place Sybil could find.

The two men began to have their discussion, Wald kept out of it. It was not worth trying to talk at this point. Just allowing the old man to take care of their side, as the hunter was not a very social person. Any input would not be productive. Though the old man did miss say his name slightly, which made the hunter give a soft sigh. There was no point in correcting him, given the title he gave to Sybil.

Sybil's weakened voice soon broke the conversation, asking Wald what he would need. The hunter finally opened his mouth, as his soft voice came out. "I only need a few basic tools; an axe, a shovel, a rope, and a tarp." Wald scratched his head for a moment. "And for someone to watch my pack animals, taking them across a river and though the woods would be to much." Wald began to look between the three, his eyes examining the two men in particular.

One was clearly older then the other, just of features alone. Though he seemed to be in charge of the situation, unlike the younger one. The Reeve seemed to be loosing his foot hold, and likely would have to cave into whatever was proposed here. Wald was not about to ask for anything outrageous, only what he needed to set up a camp. The Axe and Shovel were meant to construct traps and defensive encampments where he could. Though working on his one, time would have to be split off between spy crafts and war crafts.

"I will be able to hunt meat easy enough, though I will also need salt. Any extra will be given to the town, as I have no need for it." Ylfa and Ari will be needed to carry a few extra supplies, but it would not be to bad for them.
word count: 397
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:42 am

II
Saun 10th arc 719 (7 trials before the assault)

"We don't have the supplies for what you're suggesting. ... Retaliation isn't something that's possible." The Reeve shook his head, leaning against the wall, "We should notify-"

"When an intruder steps into your townsfolk's home, do you not instill justice on the spot?" Karlsson puts it to the Reeve, gaze sliding from Wald, back to the man. It was clear that he was like an unmovable rock about this specific line of inquiry not being met, "Here you have men waltzing into your homes, pissing in your stews. And yet, what? You show the people that you're not worth the taxes they pay to keep you fed, dressed, and clean?"

The Reeve's eyes widened at such an assertion. Karlsson was dressed like a gentleman, but his terms were... Brutish. A glaring reality of the man sat within the Reeve's home. He had realized too late, that Sybil's contact was a man of strength and force, rather than some dignified, honorable person, "Don't be absurd! Such talk-- The Rangers would have your head for speaking such ill things! I do my duty like all others in my position, but even so, there are limits--"

"Limits? I took you for a man, a Reeve working on behalf of the Rangers, not some simpering pile of refuse." Karlsson's gaze stared down at the Reeve. There was one thing the older man was good at: Making others feel smaller, insignificant, "You claim to do your duty? Then do it here. Do it now. Your people are at risk. Or would you like me to report to your coveted Rangers that you sent a civilian to do work that you should have done? Perhaps they would like to hear more, of how on your watch, you allowed a contract to reach a student of the Academy, and lead to an attempt on her life."

The two were butting heads in a way that Sybil had became used to. Ever since the two had arrived, they had been like this. It was like watching two bucks charge one another with their antlers to assert dominance over territory. A strange notion, since this place had no value in the slightest to Karlsson. Sybil's eyes slowly glanced across the man. Perhaps he was doing this for the sole reason of... Challenging, that notion to the other man. Their eyes traced the Reeve's face. The look of annoyance, the look of determination.

He had stakes in this town. Something that not only the necromancers are testing, but Karlsson is devaluing. Could a man be driven to compliance through something so pitiful as territorial pride?

Gritting his teeth, the Reeve simply gave an uptick of the chin towards Wald, after a long silence was held. Karlsson, unphased, had proved a point. The man was so lost in his pride, that he had lost track of such a simple request. Something that was close to a self fulfilling prophecy, "... The stables will be enough. We have enough boys to make sure they're kept clean and proper for your return." His lips parted, gaze striking to the side, towards Karlsson.

"... He asked for something else, as well." Sybil said, at a complete loss. The Reeve's attention had been completely devoured by the attack on his duty. They could see it in the social clinch he had gotten himself into. They could see in his face, just how much he roiled, just beneath the surface...

"Aye. Take whatever you need from the shed out back." The Reeve's hand jutted towards the door.

Sybil sighed... "Send Ylfa with a note, if you require anything else... I'll see that it's at least attempted to be fulfilled."
word count: 646
"The machinations of apathy benefit only those that have power upon you. Yet, are not all gods and men made equal beneath the weight of steel? What then to the flames that tempered that iron into steel? To make what was impure, pure again, it must be sent through a crucible of flame. Cooked until all that is left is the purity of a blameless soul. Iron that weeps is not steel. Iron that has been tortured, burned, scorched, becomes steel through redemption alone."

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Contribution

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:19 am

Wald looked between the two men, what did Reeve mean about lack of supplies? It was not like he was asking for much in the way of supplies, even then what was not used, would of been given freely back.Though this sparked a new argument between the two other men. A siege was something that took from the area, if you needed outside supplies, then the siege would fail. Aside from food, all building material was in the forest already. It soon appeared that the old man was getting into the Reeve's space, was this a kind of tactic to get your way? If the two were animals, then such a display would start a fight over dominance, so it would be a similar issue for humans right?

Soon the Reeve submitted, so it seems the old man won the mental fight.

"Right, I will only take what I need." Wald looked over to Sybil with a soft nod. "Visit the animals, they like a familiar face to not be nervous." Wald began to move to the door, making his way out of the home. "I will be going, since there is a ways for me to walk." The hunter said in closing, as he went out the door, leaving the three to their own devices for the next few Trials.

Wald gathered what he needed from the shed in the back, the Reeve even kept some salts for when he went out to hunt. Though not much, it would be enough to get a few Trials supply for a few men. It was not like they had to worry to much about food, with Wald's skill and Karem's blessing, hunting was a simple task for the hunter. Giving a loud whistle, Wald heard the sound of flapping wings draw near him. Ari flew over to be geared up with some salts. Wald would carry the tools, and Ylfa would carry the tarp. Rope was put between them to hold the stuff steady. The trip would take most of the Trial, to get to a good location.

The harsh Videnese wilderness greeted Wald with open arms, as if it missed him in its cold white grasp. Thankfully for the man, his mind was no longer exhausted, so the cold's bite was cut away. He did however keep the predator's sense, the pull of which would warn him of some dangers.
word count: 406
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:20 pm

III
Saun 11th arc 719 (6 trials before the assault)

First, it started small.

Sybil was weak, unable to do much outside of the basic tasks of living. The ongoing assassination attempts had drained so much from their faculties, that it was impossible to go out there and do what they intended to do. Stuck in the Reeve's cabin, it was almost sweltering to think that they would be just sitting there while Wald invested himself into the art of subterfuge. Karlsson was insistent that they do their business through him. The Reeve was too bound by honor to allow his temporary ward to do anything other than the aforementioned. It was a living hell.

But during one of their feverish dreams, an answer came...

It started with a simple request. Karlsson and Sybil were had ken in a very similar field after all. A murmur into the aged gentleman's ear. An inquiry about the gossips of the town, was the first. Asking about who's name was upon the lips of the common folk. These were not barrage questions, but instead... Held with them a serene level of simplicity. This wasn't a city, and once Sybil's mind peeled back the complexities that would entail, it just became simpler. People knew one another by name. Honor was valued as good as gold. No one would lie flagrantly in a place in which one's name is so readily known.

Karlsson soon found himself sitting in, writing down various requests and questions upon a paper. This first day was spent in rest, yet not without some sort of trial for their mind to be tested against. The dissemination and collection of information was key to understanding who in the town had the most respected positions. Who was competent at their trade, who had unknown factors behind their talents. Perhaps unaligned vocations, when one considered one's natural gifts rather than lots in life. Highly presumptuous questions at first, yet... Kept simple. Key figures had to be selected from the shambling, featureless crowds.

And so, information began to flow at a trickle.

Half the day, Sybil was incoherent, unable to understand what was even happening. Fading in and out of consciousness as Karlsson was tasked with his job, the entirety of their eyes and ears would be through him. Slipping this subterfuge was an easy task, when considering Sybil didn't even understand what the Reeve was asking, half the time he was present. To him, it was just an overprotective father checking in on a daughter taken by some strange wasting illness. But to Sybil... It was a godsend in disguise. They wouldn't have to perform the lies that they so poorly managed. Merely embrace the coating tiredness.

"Solomyn is the cooper. People think that he's touched. Slow." Karlsson rambled off, looking down at the little black bound book that he was holding, "Turns out, he has an affinity with the arrow. He poaches animals every now and then, but mainly when the town's lacking resources."

Sybil's eyes didn't bother opening. Karlsson had knelt next to their ear, so that they didn't have to move. Thankfully, the exorcist had finally found a comfortable position, "Does he know anything about the wilds?" They ask of him, keeping their questions simple, in light of their condition, "A one timer poacher might not be enough..."

"Nay. He's as thick as the town thinks." Karlsson's voice remained firm, as he leaned against the bed, "Arlow is someone that fills that gap, surprisingly. He's a piss poor painter, but he has talent for maps. The ones he had on hand weren't too bad, but he's too confident in his work. No one buys from him."

"What of the Butcher?" Sybil asks.

Karlsson's eyes glance towards the exit, heel of his boot tapping against the floor in a steady pace, "I'll need time for her. Looks like a good sport with a knife."

"... Tell the gossips that the Necromancer cursed her family on her dying breath..." Sybil suggested, mind easing back into sleep.

Karlsson's knees pop, as he chuckles, nodding his head, "Aye." His expression curls into a smile, as he glances into the evening light, "Even bastards get bound together by hate."

It was a good thing that Karlsson brought a bottle of ale. He knew how to spin a good story... And for the first day of preparations, Sybil rested, confident in their confidant's abilities.
word count: 767

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Contribution

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Misty breath, frost, and a light snow. Wald had woken up in what he was going to call camp, for the next few trials. The tarp he borrowed was strung across a rope, only used to stop the elements from pelting him at night. There was little chores to do in the morning, since the campsite was needed to stay hidden. Fire would only be used for cooking, he and Ari both had ways to keep warm without it. Ylfa would not care about the weather, as her physical form was something of a falsehood.

Wald crawled out of the tent, ready to start the day. Ylfa was waiting just outside the tent. "Master." She seemed to be ready for the great hunt, it would serve to improve both of their skills.

"Go scout the area from above, a aerial view will help us find any clearings." Wald ordered to his wolf companion, who quickly followed the orders. Wald clinched his stomach, hunger pains had begun once again. Not having fresh meat the last few Trials had done this to him. Skipping out in meat to keep Ari fed, it was a sacrifice, but one he had to do. A slow long mist came from the hunter, as his mind began to pull him. There was a large empty area, just as he suspected. Though there were some prey items away from it, towards the river and salty lake.

Clicking his fingers together, Wald began to walk away from the camp. "Here Ari, we should hunt for the two of us." The winged tiger soon followed, he was quite hungry as well.

--------------

At midday Wald had finished having a meal with Ari, as Ylfa made their way back to camp. "I have returned, Master."

acknowledging the return of his companion. "Good, what have you learned about the area?" Ari had wondered into the tent, as the fire died out.

"There are several clearings, but there is no normal animals moving around the area, Master." Ylfa began to confirm Wald's theories. "There is also no sign of a camp, but there are signs of movement, Master." Wald got up slowly, resting his bow on his shoulder.

"Can you led me to one of the trails Ylfa."

"Yes, Master." The two wondered out into the forest, as Ari took a nap inside the tent.

The forest was thick in this part, but soon they came across an odd clearing. The brush was crushed away from a central point, going in a long line. It was much thicker then a game trail, so it must of been one of the paths some people are using. Wald kept his distance from the path, choosing to stay in the brush and treeline. Slowly moving though the forest, following the path with slow steady motions.

--------------

The light would leave soon, and Wald had yet to find the hide out. Though the trail would led him to where he needed to go, for this Trial it was all he could do. He would be able to come back to the search at daylight, for now he should rest and be ready.
word count: 525
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:57 pm

IV
Saun 12th arc 719 (5 trials before the assault)

Some amount of strength was finally proffered to Sybil.

"Getting them to fear you isn't the point." Sybil's voice brought with it a level of authority, as they sat up upon the bed. Hands folded over their lap, half lidded eyes, their attention was mainly on Karlsson. It was hard to focus, but the exorcist gave it a shot, "... They're assets that need to trust us. If you must... Keep your threats to the those that challenge your authority, rather than a blanket reason. We can't afford them reporting anything other than genuine justice back to the capitol, if they report it at all."

"Got a bit carried away." Karlsson admits, the glint of his pearly whites even visible in the dark light of the room. He didn't care one bit that he got carried away, the fact of the matter was that, he was given a position of authority. He chose to exert that authority in any way that he wants. This would prove to be a nuisance for Sybil's purpose, "The townsmen aren't going to come to help you if you're just a friend. These types of folk don't have that sort of honor, y'see. You might not have experience with leading folk like these, but I've handled worse." A slow cant of the head. A widening of that sharp toothed smile, "Don't worry your little head."

Sybil shook their head from side to side. Leaning back against the wooden wall, they weren't fully convinced by that approach. Eyes leveling with Karlsson, they mirror his tilt of the head, "These aren't criminals. You can scare that lot as much as you want, simply because they have nowhere to run. Leaving would be a death sentence." They offer, as some sort of explanation. The older man furrows his brow, fingertips gripping the edge of the bed a bit hard, "If we lose their loyalty, we'll lose any chance to give them the carrot, rather than the stick."

"Aye. Can see that." His grip loosens on the edge of the bed. Sybil's eyes go from him, to the ceiling, once he at least admits that it's a dumb move to put vague threats to folk in town, "We need to make our move soon, though. With you in the state you're in, if I don't prepare them for you, then you'll be spending lost time trying to convince them of something that should already be in agreement with." He finally puts his cards on the table, explaining his thought process behind it. Rising to a stand, he stretches his back, audibly popping it, "That Reeve needs to be shown his place."

Sybil merely shifted their gaze back to him. Eyes half lid, they consider him for a long while, and what he said. The Reeve would prove to be a problem, that much would be absolutely true. Their eyes fluttered close, considering the best way forward. His help would be needed in every sense of the word. He was a figure of undeniable authority. He had military training. He was in fact, trained to perform this all on his lonesome.

"Then you'll need to gain his trust. Failing that, you need to make sure that he, specifically, fears you enough that he won't get in the way of our morale." Sybil finally decided, eyes tracing Karlsson's face as his lips curled into a smile, "I need you to do this for me today, atop of your normally assigned duties. Try to get the town to pressure him, make sure they know it's in their best interest that the man be a part of our movement. Do not present 'standing still' as an option for their future."

"Failing that, he will likely raise his resistance against us. Put the law of the land upon our feet." Karlsson corrects.

Sybil cants their head, slowly blinking, "Then after the assault, you can feel free to deal with him."
word count: 697

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Contribution

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:32 am

Wald woke up early in the morning to start working, leaving Ylfa and Ari to hunt for food. The two of them would make a good pair to hunt, though it did leave Wald without someone watching his back. He continued his hunt down the trail, allowing his senses to stay open. The pull was weak all around him though, animals had left this section of the forest. It was a sign of the necromancers working in the area, death and decay made the prey leave, then the predators had to leave for food. Natural order had been taken away, it was something disgusting to the hunter.

Taking a slow approach, he followed off the trail enough to watch it. Though something pulled into his skull, which made Wald pause, hiding within a bush. Eyes glued to the trail, he felt two? no three prey items coming near him. His eyes moved to the direction they were coming from, as he gazed down the trail. A small group of people, counting three, two of them looked young, one older. Were they a mage and two students? Keeping himself hidden, Wald continued to follow the three just in his hearing distance.

They had a conversations for some time, though only one was important to Wald's cause.

"Why do we need to travel with you Master? Are we not capable enough to travel alone?" The younger one in the back asked, seemingly giving into curiosity.

"Yes, we had three of our own betray our leader. So we have yet do decide what happens to their acolytes." The older one in the center started talking to the younger ones. "We may be forced to expel them from our group, treason may of been placed into them by those three." The older one shrugged shaking his head.

Wald's bow was feeling very itchy watching these three.

"Oh, So our great leader is worried for us. Her compassion knows no bounds." The one in the front spoke out, giving praise to their leader.

Wald bit his lip, keeping his hands away from his bow. Killing them know would not lead him to their base camp. So he continued to follow them, as the three continued their conversation. He did learn a few things while on their trail. Like how they will be moving in sets of three, for the student's safety. Though he could not figure out if the Mage knew of the death of the other three. The leader could be hiding the information, from more then just the students. Though soon, the pull of a great number of prey items drew closer. The three seemed to be more relaxed as they drew closer. They walked to a crack in the earth, slowly walking in to disappear from view almost immediately. Even when Wald moved to a different angle, he could not see into the cavern, as if there was something stopping him.

Was it some sort of magic? People do not just disappear from sight, and there were no sparking like what Ylfa described with that teleportation. It was a logical conclusion of what happened, though getting close my prove foolish. He could feel a great deal of pulls from underground, it was a cavern full of something. Wald began to try and trace the size based on the pulls below him. Though it was not an easy task, it did allow him to try and find any extra entrances. Finding only one other cave opening, it was much smaller. Likely could only have one person at a time through it, which would make it easy to block.

Wald made his way back to his camp, taking his time to remember the fastest route between the two. His plans slowly forming, as he would need to watch the sight for the next few trails. He may even get the chance to take down a Mage again, as the last one was to important to die on the spot.
word count: 668
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:12 am

V
Saun 12th arc 719 (5 trials before the assault)

"You should understand more than anyone else, Reeve." Sybil's attention slowly faded into more coherent focus. Their mind was something of a mess, never able to remain steady enough for conversation lasting more than a mere thirty minutes. But now, their gaze was upon someone that they could not afford to fade in front of, "You yourself are a guardian. Imagine if someone were to attack those who you hold dear. Karlsson... Is simply acting on such a notion. He knows that the danger has yet to dissipate. No matter how much I try to calm him... It's for naught."

The blurry outlines of the room could be perceived. Sybil's condition was becoming worse before it got better. Once their body had tasted the sweet release of sleep, it was hard to pull out from its grasp and into something more productive. But they could see the outlines of the Reeve's impromptu guest bedroom. It was set up in the middle of his living area, next to the hearth. Partially erected from wood and stone, it didn't retain as much heat as Sybil preferred. As such, they had dedicated some of their oil to keep the fire burning for longer, just to get a good night's sleep without being sent into sensory overload beneath the blankets.

"Aye. But it don't make it right." The Reeve responded, crouching in front of the fire, warming his hands. Eyes glancing across him, Sybil could see that he was wearing more armor than usual today. A gambeson with thick leather strappings and reinforcements. The chainmail hadn't been used yet. It was too cold, for anything besides the direct assault. Curiosity piqued within their swirling mind. He was becoming more protective, to the extent of becoming proactive: preparing for the inevitable. He had a taste of danger caught in his nose. "They need authority, else they'll think the city don't care about 'em."

A mental hook had been placed upon him. He was in the vocal minority of the town. While many knew the dangers by this point, they were slowly radicalizing towards Sybil's goals. More of the hunters would be needed, however, for the assault to be worthwhile. His influence would be needed. Otherwise, they would be lacking in a skilled combatant and potential leader.

"They're craving justice for what's been done. A justice that's rapidly slipping through their fingers with each passing day." Sybil settled upon. Laying back against the bed, they let out a slow breath. Eyes closing, they dedicate all of their mental faculties into trying to comprehend the complexities of the situation. "They would respect your authority more, if you matched their demands for justice. ... It's hard... But everyone just wants what's best for their families..."

"But they just want the nightmare to end." Sybil punctuated.

It was a phrase they had used quite a bit. One that slowly swayed the townspeople into burning. But now? They were slowly plotting the way forward. It was in his best interests to side with the people, after all. He would be in charge of reporting this back to Viden, in charge of the people's ongoing safety... But above all else? He would be destroyed, if this town was lost. Sybil could see it in his eyes, the way he restrains his emotions...

He would become a derelict.

Shaking his head, it's as though the Reeve is trying to clear his mind of something, "I can understand that... But I just... This sort of thing isn't common, in these parts. What if we're going about it wrong?"

A pause.

"How could it be wrong, if you're making sure that the past doesn't repeat itself, Reeve?"
Last edited by Sybil Malach on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 652

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Contribution

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 am

Wald made his way back to his campsite, Ylfa and Ari were back from their hunt. They had brought back several small animals, Rabbits, Squirrels, and a few birds. It was up to Wald to clean them, though the birds would not salt that easily. Those would be used for today's meals, it was only right to not waste them. The hunter walked to his two animal companions, softly placing his hand on both of their heads. "Good work you two." Wald smiled to both of them, as he took a knee. Giving a positive reinforcement was important, especially for Ari to continue to do good work. Ari did seem proud of himself, being praised for his work seemed to help with that.

"Did you find anything, Master?" Ylfa spoke as Wald was moving to organize the catch.

Wald gave a slow nod, as he was moving the rabbits to one side, with the squirrels, and leaving the birds alone. "Yes, I should get you to send a message to Sybil, just give me a moment to write it." Wald moved to his pack, to pull a few things to write properly, including a plate to give him a flat surface. He kept these items from when he wrote the note for the Rangers. On the note for Sybil though, he wrote in cursive.
To Sybil,

I have found the encampment, it is in a cave that I can not see into. There was a second entrance to the area it would seem, large enough for at least a few people to escape. I also overheard a few of them speaking, the three deaths seemed to be covered up. I will continue observations, tell my girls that I am alright.

From, Wald

Folding up the message, Wald placed it into a small pouch for transport. Putting the strap around Ylfa's neck, giving her a soft pat on the head. "Drop this off, you do not need to stay long. Just leave it for Sybil to find at the Reeve's door step." The wolf gave a nod, as she went off into the forest, towards the direction of Sybil's smell.

With a small sigh, Wald and Ari were left alone. Beginning his work to prepare the animals the two animals had caught. Flight really was an advantage when hunting small prey, If only Wald had wings maybe he could be even better? That was a thought, though men could not fly no matter how hard they try. Wald started with the birds, so he and Ari could have a meal for their hard work. Salting the rest of the meat gathered, letting them rest across a rope. Keeping the food off the ground, and helping the salt dry out the meat. Though it was not very appetizing to do so for the hunter. It was something he needed to do.

Wald and Ari both had two birds each. There was now three rabbits, and four squirrels salted for future use. More was needed, but this was a good start for the trip.
word count: 515

Return to “Viden”