Thanatology IV: Pier and Pre

In which the Exorcist learns of the Immortals of judgement

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Ignoble Thanatologist
Renown: 300
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Ymiden 66th, arc 719

Balance.

This is something that had stapled itself into the mismatched sinew of Sybil's brain. How could something so definite, so inseparable from almost every living thing in Idalos be so mired in such a subject? To what end was balance achieved? It was hard for them to consider the implications of such a subject. There was a standard being held here. Something that was deeply ingrained with how the aspect of life even worked. There was something that implied that there was a reason for this to exist. But whatever it was, eluded them. Out of everything the student had read, they had come to the same conclusion every single time. While the authors seemed to be in the right mind, when it came to their intention, the fact of the matter was, no matter how close Sybil got to the source, there was always the convenient curtain of subjectivity. There were no writings they could find from the Immortals directly, so Sybil's assessments could only be made on the intentions of the people writing them, rather than the teachings they extol as virtue. This was something that made their head spin.

There were many takes on the concept of balance. The idea that every time that something dies, something must be reborn. That those of power must remain in power. That those robbed of such luxuries should remain. The ebb and flow of the two. All of it, they were drastically different. Some played in cycles, whereas others simply remained some vague ideal that should be followed. But what determined the 'balance' of a mortal's life? As far as Sybil could tell, there wasn't the same amount of people at the start of it all. Cities and townships still sprouted when given enough time. Towns became cities. If the balance was to ebb the flow of death and birth, then it was doing a shoddy job of it. But Sybil hadn't really explored anywhere other than Viden. These concepts were speculation, and more something they could simply observe from the world at their fingertips, the frigid iceland of Viden. But even such a place as this, faced growth when it came to the fact that they were prospering.

The maintenance of this ill defined balance was upheld by Vri and his followers. But there was another. Not another exactly, but a set of twins who've been put in charge of an aspect of death; judgement. It was seeming more likely to Sybil that death was more of a party, than something of lonely implications at this point. There was just too much to say about the amount of hands invested in the eventual decay of mortals. Something that struck Sybil as odd.

So, as they sat among the library stacks once more, they were faced another pile of books. This time: Their subjects were more concise.

Throughout the ages, there have been accounts of the Twins interacting with mortals. More often, they commune with those with defined morality rather than those of chaos. But it is not unknown for them to make cases for those that behave irrationally at times. The binding cause of those that follow them, blessed with the mark of Gwelliph, is that their actions must be consistent. Much like the laws of any Realm must apply to any mortal equally, so too are the Justiciars of the Twins held to a similar standard. Their dance with what is personally acceptable and what is legally binding seems to interweave and oftentimes seem mercurial, but there is always a method to their actions.

Pre has been recounted as a woman of distinct optimism in her judgments. Usually depicted as being more lenient in her interpretations of crime, and seeing elements which her sister may miss entirely, she is notably far more akin to a devil's advocate than someone wishing for someone to get away with murder. She will surrender to her sister's logic if she can provide, but will appeal to the facts surrounding the circumstances, such as a child stealing a loaf of bread being a crime, but not wholesale immoral. One could often liken her to the role of a defense attorney in certain structures of law, presenting the case in a way in which defends the accused, in hopes of a fair trial concluding.

Pier, however, seems to be depicted in a way that is best described as logical. Definitive in her views of skepticism towards any case that is brought her way, she is logically at odds with her twin sister, who might be more lenient with matters of law. While Pre may defend the child that stole a loaf of bread, Pier looks at it through the lens of how most lawmen would approach the matter; a crime has been committed, it directly affected someone's life and business, and the accused should be held accountable. Following this depiction, she can be readily seen as the prosecutor in matters which call her attention. The two operating in such a way that their judgements are always superior than those levied by mortalkind.

~Excerpt from Fundamentals of Law Vol I, by Liam V.

Sybil's brow seemed to be painted in a constant quirked fixture. Their quill rested against the paper at their side. For some reason, they didn't want to write this down. Something about it caused their mind to wander. This is, yet again, another example of death's neutrality, if this had anything to do with the dead. This wasn't what they were looking for in the slightest, not even mentioning that the dead were even under their purview. Strangely enough, though, they were almost glossed over, as though they were some sort of footnote when it came to this. The author seemed to be more intent on using them as metaphors to explain how the legal system wherever he was writing for worked. Something... Quite odd, indeed.

They tap their quill down on the parchment, sinking the metal tip against the hardwood table. They would keep this one short.

They don't seem to belong. What are Pier and Pre's role in death?

Why are they so evenly at odds? Why are the domains of judgement and death kept separate, if they are treated as though tied to the hip?

~Pier and Pre I, Ymiden 66th 719, Sybil Malach.

Placing down their quill, their tired eyes simply glance across the table. Simply put, there wasn't anything they could really say on the matter. Vri was the catalyst for death to occur, then. He enables Pier and Pre to do their job. Yet, there is still that reference of a balance. Of something that needs to be held between two extremes to reach a moderate ending. It was an efficient idea, sure. It was likely the foundations of many things beneath their domain of law, when it came to mortals, but... Something about it.

Their hands couldn't even move to add this to their notes. Perhaps a question too far, as they glanced over their shoulder.

By whom were they given such a right to define these things?
word count: 1210
"No mass graves."

-Vri 720, scolding Sybil for disposing of necromancers.

NPCs: Karlsson, Margaret
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: Thanatology IV: Pier and Pre

Three Sybils sit at the same triangular desk.

One is known as The Flesh: Wearing nothing upon their body. Mercurial and brash, there is nothing in its mind that is affected by the likes of the outside world. What it desires, is to simply survive and to thrive for itself. It cares little about others, and focuses more on how they could be used to fulfill basic desires, such as getting more food, getting more drink, and frankly, feeding into the basic impulsive that defines man. It sits at the bottom of the desk.

Two is known as The Justiciar: Wearing clothing that covers every inch of their body, face bearing the type of rearing that's at direct odds to The Flesh. They simply seem to stomach the presence of the other as a necessary evil, and is far more socialized, considering how they sit to the table. Their elbows are off of it, and ready to hear what's about to be talked about. Though, that doesn't stop The Justiciar from sneering at The Flesh's lack of common dignity and decency. They sit at the curve of the triangle.

Three is known as Sybil. Host of the mind, and the subject of constant mediation of the two. Torn between acts of ignorant altruism, and senseless selfishness. A mediator of sorts, but one that was only forced to listen to the ceaseless bickering of the two rather than having to do anything about it. But the fact of the matter was always that Sybil had to operate with some level of understanding between the two, and their actions was always some form of one way or the other, simply through how wide the two argue. They sit at the slope of the triangle.

"It's obvious. They want us dead." The Flesh chuckles out, head shaking in place as it rests its head against the top of the desk. It cant help but slowly raise its gaze towards The Justiciar, offering a sneer. "Longer you think about it, the more you're just gonna realize I'm telling the truth." It raps its fingertips against the desk, twitching at the slightest sensation. It was always a capricious, Epicurean type of thing. A being sculpted of flesh, borne out of the desire for sensation, for touch. "Dogs don't worry about this sorta thing. Last I checked, they killed plenty less than our own kind. Stop cutting that precious Society of yours so much slack, you're no better than they."

"You're being a reactionary. That would be like presuming that the entire kingdom is failing because some minor lord decided to raise taxes." The Justiciar waived the notion, its hand remaining for a bit longer, as though it proved his point. It pinched the bridge of its nose as it simply considered what The Flesh was even implying, "You're trying to state that the entirety of our means and methods of life and death are weighted against us. That's absurd, and you know it." It finally settles on, cocking his head to the side, before casting a sidelong glance towards Sybil, biting on its lower lip, "If that were the case, than too many fundamental truths are incorrect."

"Am I? Last I checked, Justice, those reactions have saved our lives more times than I can count. Where were you, when that HARLOT invaded our head?" The Flesh slammed its fists against the table. A quickly growing expression of anger forming on its face as its accomplishments are being unfounded, "That wasn't natural. We all know that wasn't natural, and that made drek harder for us. Feck, I can still taste blood from that!" It settled back against its chair, casting a glowering gaze towards Sybil, "I'm telling you. These are stacked odds, and it's obvious. Closing your eyes and pretending it's not happening just doesn't work. Not now. We can't live like that now."

"Those are irrelevant. You know that, I know that, and you're just saying that to make your point heard. It's juvenile." The Justiciar sneered back at The Flesh, shaking its head, "That's not how the world works. We wouldn't have existed for so long, and have absolutely nothing to show for it. That's insane. You're insane for even suggestion such a notion! No one would believe you, because that's just not how things work. If it was, why would a twenty one arc old be the first one to learn about it?" The usually calm and collected Justiciar slowly began to work into a shout.

A silence fills the room between the two. Sybil's tired gaze shifting between the two. They were shouting nonsense at this point.

"Then it would be a truth common to everyplace but here." Sybil finally answered, slowly cocking their head to the side, "And something brutally pointless. If that were the case, then we wouldn't find any truth here. Thinking about it is something beyond pointless."
word count: 847
"No mass graves."

Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Dear J.V,

There is information that is out of my reach. I'm having Zemos hand deliver you this letter, and I expect you to do something similar. I cant make sense of something very particular. The books that I'm coming across that cover this subject seem to gloss over it in a way that I can't fully understand. Something is wrong, just beneath the threads of what I read, but what I need is something that isn't going to be available in the library's stacks. At least, the version that I'm trying to look into. I'm calling in the favor, I need to know this. I don't care if this makes me indebted to you for some period of time.

This is something that I am not willing to haggle you on. Name your price. I'll make it work.

I need more information on Pier and Pre. It sounds simple enough, and I understand that. But I need information that directly pertains to their role in death. All the examples I can find bury them in contemporary matters. I need a book that expressly deals with death, not with anything else. I need your help with this, and as my closest partner in business, you're the only contact close enough to me that I can trust. This ties to my 'problems'. If I do not find the material that's relevant to what I'm searching for, you will be lacking someone to handle these requests that come your way. I don't have much time, and I need to understand this as soon as possible.

And if possible, I need to know what exactly their followers do. They're tied to the Bellinos, the worshipers of Vri, at the hip. That should at least help with your search. If I am to be dealing with exorcising the dead, then I need to know what it is that I'm doing outside of just casting them outside of bodies. As it stands, my methods could have unforeseen consequences, ones that might interfere with your bottom line. If you can handle this, then our mutual problem can be handled without you losing a contact in the process. You know that I'm good for it. Please understand the position I'm in, and what it is that I need to do.

Please. Do this for me. You're the last one I can turn to. I know enough about what I do to keep getting you the income that you're looking for, but my time's running out. I don't have much left when it comes to that, anymore. Death is standing at my doorstep, and it's what comes in the next few seasons that will determine if I greet him, or if I am able to slam the door in his face. I'll do anything that you ask, for these texts. No questions asked, directly word for word how you want them to be completed. I can no longer put this off.

Signed,
A.E.
word count: 520
"No mass graves."

Octopie
Prophet of Old
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Unlocking Your Rewards!

Comments

You write Sybils thoughts so well, they are a tangible frightening thing but interesting none the less though what satisfaction she'll actually gain from the questions she asks is the real curiosity. A curious thread and I wonder where she'll go with it, well done!

Can be use for magic? Yes or No

Knowledge

Skill
Research: Field of Study: Law
Research: Field of Study: Pier and Pre
Intelligence: Calling on contacts for favors
Negotiation: Willfully imposing a debt to curry favor
Negotiation: One can easily take advantage of desperation
Psychology: One can hide secrets through proxies

Non
NA

Loot

+1 Contract debt (Sybil must do an exorcism contract completely pro bono.)

Wealth

NA

Renown

Injuries

NA
word count: 122
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”