Hunting a Hunter.

It is the 10th of Ashan. Sybil has spent the last few days living with Tulias as they recovered from their trauma.

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect

Moderator: Pegasus

Tulias
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Travelling Mercenary
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Hunting a Hunter.

Mon May 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Sybil has lived the past few days living with Tulias as they recovered. Tulias's focus had shifted from searching for work to just hunting to support the both of them, using the meat he gained for food and selling the pelts for anything else they would need.

Today was a bit different from the usual however. Tulias was returning home with five arctic hares strung up and draped over hus shoulder, but the hares wasn't what made things unusual. It was the extra spring in his step and cheer in his demeanour as he practically bounced his way to his tent. His tail, unraveled, and practically dancing behind him.

He entered his tent, Sybil was quietly reading one of their books as they tended to do. Tulias set the hares down and with cheer in his tone, spoke. "Good news. Found enough hares to last through day after tomorrow. Especially after I sell the pelts for some nice vegetables." He stepped over to Sybil and gave them a gentle hug. It was becoming more apparent that it wasn't the hares that had him in such an up beat mood.

He returned to his prey and began untieing the hares and pulled out a large bowl and a skinning knife before getting to work on his prey. Humming cheerfully as he performed his bloody work. He meticulously removed the pelt from the animals, taking care in not damaging it more than necessary. Then moved to the intestines, which were removed and dropped into the bowl. Some of it would be disposed of, some of it kept, to be used as bait later.
word count: 274
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Postulent Conjurer
Renown: +80
Character Sheet
Secrets
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Re: Hunting a Hunter.

Mon May 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Over the last few trials, Tulias had begun to see a marked improvement with Sybil's body. But it was obvious that the mind was still in shambles. The student was prone to sobbing at random times, and fits of night terrors, requiring Sybil to be borderline restrained with the Ithecal's arms to even calm down. There wasn't enough of an improvement that it was fully comfortable to send the student back into independent living, however, and was more of a middle ground between absolutely unable to function, and being an active member of society. There wasn't enough energy behind Sybil's eyes to manage something like that. It was almost impossible to muster the energy to do more than read, these last few days. It was painful for the body to even shamble around for a few minutes outside of the tent itself. Though, outside activities were monitored closely, given that the student was liable to pass out, due to exertion.

The book Sybil was reading was something for school. It was an odd book, that had more to do with the concepts behind why people act the way they do, rather than directly trying to interpret it. It was advanced reading, something to keep the mind entertained, and exercised so that there would be no further atrophy into almost nothingness, what had almost happened had Tulias not stepped in when he did. Sybil rubbed at their eyes, as Tulias entered the tent. The light from outside hurt the student's eyes, too far used to the lantern light of the tent itself. Eyes spared to the side, towards Tulias, as he began to cheerfully bring in the fruits of his labor. As he started to get prepared, and offered Sybil a hug, he was given a soft, gentle, but weak hug in return. This would be the first time that Sybil had attempted to return his hugs, in the duration that the student had been here, in this particular incident.

"You seem... Happy." Sybil softly says, as he begins to move on over, skinning the hares. The student is managing to remain sitting without wobbling, offering a weak smile, "... What's the occasion?"
word count: 375
Status: Alive      Location: Viden      Corruptions: Partial Possession      Wounds: Migraines & Mental Strain
Tulias
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Tue May 07, 2019 12:04 am

Tulias continued working as Sybil asked their question. He turned his head in their direction and with a smile, he said, "In just thirteen days, it shall be my hatching day! I will be twenty two. I have been thinking about what I want to do to celebrate. I hear you humans like to throw big parties to celebrate. I might not do something as big since, well..." His expression dipped briefly, "You know...you are kind of my only friend out here." His expression quickly returned to the previous cheer it had before as he continued "But I would still like to do something to celebrate. Even if it is spending time with you and a bottle of some expensive tasty alcohol a merchant imported in"

Tulias felt an itch on his face that, without thinking, he instinctively went to rub at it, accidentally getting blood on his face in the process but he did not realize it. "I am thinking of maybe finding a bottle of mead. I have heard of great things about this drink. Or perhaps a sweet wine. If I manage to land some good game, I might even get enough extra cash to get us a fancy meal. I think that would be really nice." He flashed Sybil a large excited grin before returning to his work. "That is actually what I am saving these organs for. To use as bait for catching some kind of predator. Combined with a net trap, I should get some kind of medium sized predator. Should bring in a decent little sum, I would think."
word count: 267
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets

Contribution

Tue May 07, 2019 12:40 am

Sybil couldn't help but look a bit confused, at the Ithecal's words. At first, it didn't make much sense. Hatching? Did he not come from a live birth, like many others? Sybil's eyes slowly blink, consideringly. The Ithecal's enthusiasm was almost infectious, proving to seep its way over the cloud that covered most of Sybil's mind. It was hard not to feel happy for Tulias. But it was pretty hard to feel happy at all, in this state. Instead, Sybil was trapped in a purgatory of being between two extremes. Lacking the energy to hop up and do what's socially expected out of the situation, but too happy to actually be wallowing through it. The result was a strange, sober, dulled smile, that seemed to almost be forced, but there was a genuine air to it. As though the student was at least attempting to enjoy the moment, for what it was. But it was hard. It was hard to enjoy these things anymore. A sense of guilt dripped in the back of Sybil's skull.

"Alcohol is illegal in Viden, at least in big quantities." Sybil reminds, with a slow cant of the head. Finally finding the strength to at least attempt to hold conversation with the man. It took a while for Sybil to even bother continuing, eyes trying to stay focused on Tulias, as though he was one of the only reasons the student could even focus on the task at hand, "But I know a few people that would take some nell in a trade." Comes the suggestion, finally. Sybil's eyes had a weary glance to it, the student reaching up, and rubbing at the eyes. It wouldn't help waking up, but it was better than nothing. The throbbing sensation was starting to hurt the back of the student's mind. Getting far too much to even handle at this point. But Sybil had remained awake for this long. And was, at the very least, intending to keep awake, leaning back against the chest, using it as support, as strength began to fail the student,.

A light, weak smile remains on Sybil's face, "... I'd like to spend some time with you... Over some mead. I've never... Had it before." A few blinks, "Wait... That means... You're older than me."
word count: 403
Status: Alive      Location: Viden      Corruptions: Partial Possession      Wounds: Migraines & Mental Strain
Tulias
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Tue May 07, 2019 2:14 am

Tulias looked disheartened at the mention of large quantities of alcohol being illegal. "Just...how much constitutes a large quantity? I do not want like, a keg or anything. Just a simple bottle to enjoy the evening with." Though at the mention of a trade, he perked up a little. "Well, I do not wish to do anything illegal, but if you think it shall be okay, I can get it arranged." He looked to Sybil and gave them a warm smile. "It would be nice to have a nice quiet evening and just relax a bit. I here mead is very tasty. Fermented honey and depending on brand, a few other ingredients to add to the flavor."

Tulias finished his work with the rabbits. They were nice and cleaned, meat prepared for cooking, pelts set aside for selling, and the intestines set aside for Tulias's plot with them. He felt pleased with his work. He then realized that he still had all of his gear on and chuckled a bit as he forgot to take it off in his excitement. He got up and dropped his quiver of arrows and bow in the corner of the tent, followed by his sword and shield. He gave a happy sigh, "Ah, that is better....Hm? Older than you? Well, just how old are you? I am not a keen judge of age among races other than my own. I can tell you seem young, but no idea how much so." He shrugged, more curious than any actual concern of his companion being under aged or anything.
word count: 266
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets

Contribution

Tue May 07, 2019 10:32 pm

Sybil's legs slowly stretch out, as Tulias speaks his mind on the matter of alcohol. Sybil had never once really put much thought into the taste or quality of alcohol. The only ones that got anything half decent was the Amber and Moonstone Prisms. That's just how things worked in Viden. People that could afford to quietly import the good stuff, imported the good stuff, and often had a monopoly on the means of getting it inside of Viden itself. The Devil's Advocate was the main source of any alcohol that the student drank, and truth be told, it was mostly done to fit in, while people watching. Some people swear by ale and beer, but for Sybil, it all tasted like the same watered down swill. Perhaps because that's the only thing the student honestly drank, all things considered. There was a reason why it was affordable there, because there was enough to make a profit off of, and then some. Watering it down was smart.

A glance is cast over to Tulias, as well as a cant of the head. Letting out a soft breath, a chuckle escapes the lips, "Well... It's not like there's any particularly legal way of getting enough in... But I know some people. Don't worry so much about it. ... People make it in their basement all the time." The chuckle intensifies, the student, perhaps, finally able to really feel anything positive. This would be the first time that Tulias would have seen the student giving anything resembling something even close to a smile, the last few trials that Sybil had spent here, "But... It'd be lovely. I'd think, anyway. I've never celebrated something like that before." The admission comes lightly, as though Sybil held some level of embarrassment over the statement, eyes averting, "Well... I just turned twenty one arcs. I feel... A bit underwhelmed, about my life, so far, honestly..."
word count: 335
Tulias
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 am

Tulias's eyes narrowed, he was uneasy with the prospect of breaking the law for his own sake, but the way Sybil had worded it, it seemed this was a very commonly broken law. So, like it or not, Tulias was still going to go through with his plan. He let out a low rumble of a hum as he contemplated the possible consequences. "Hmm...So long as I can get something better than what they serve at Devil's Advocate. Even the drinks we made back home were better than their swill." He looked to Sybil and gave a cheeky grin.

Tulias had taken noticed of Sybil's seeming improved demeanor and felt gladdened by it. His eyes noticeably softened as he listened to them laugh for the first time in what felt like ages and listened intently to them as they spoke while searching for a clean rag to wipe the blood from his hands. "You have never celebrated your own birthday? I thought this was a popular human tradition?", he questioned as he went to work cleaning his hands. He turned to Sybil, the mark of blood on his face was still there from earlier. His eyes glimmered and shown hints of sadness and caring, "Hey. You are still young and you are still in school. We both have our whole lives ahead of us..." He stopped and looked towards the ground for a moment.

His grew stern as he reflected inwards. "There is...something I have been wanting to tell you. You have had my trust for a while now and I have been wanting to tell you, but could never really find the right moment." His gaze went up to meet Sybil. His expression, thoughtful. "Do you remember when we first met and when you asked me why I left my tribe? And how I said I was a runaway? Well, that was only a half truth. More accurately, I am an exile..." He paused as he felt his own anxiety flare up at him saying the word and his expression fills with shame. "My parents...belonged to some cult...known as the Black Dawn. They worshiped the Immortal Lisirra and were planning on unleashing some unknown new contagion upon me and the rest of the tribe, but I stopped them. This did not immediately clean my name in the elder's eyes however. They executed my parents and I plead for my life. I was looked upon favorably by the tribe and they decided to spare me death and instead sent me into exile." Tulias's form grew sullen and he lowered his head in shame. He fully expected Sybil to just get up and leave him there and he honestly wouldn't blame them.
word count: 461
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets

Contribution

Wed May 08, 2019 2:33 am

Something about what Tulias had said, caught Sybil off guard. It wasn't a particularly negative reaction, but it forced the student to consider the Ithecal, for a long moment. A slow tilt of the head is given, as though trying to understand where he came from. A punishment based on a bloodline? Something about that struck the student as particularly uneducated. It's not like there was some destiny carved for the children of murderers. The only types of people that would think that are superstitious zealots. Something that Sybil, was frankly, very happy about. They could stay faraway in Idalos's furthest reaches, or even be the majority, but over here, there was none of that nonsense. It was one of the reasons why Sybil didn't even bother with the thought of trying to move from here. It would be so tedious, and utterly annoying, once the culture that was reached started to rub off on the student. More of a clash than anything.

"Considering that I met you in the Devil's Advocate, I can't say that I'm fully surprised." Sybil says this, easily. Tone not shifting from a comfortable neutrality, eyes slowly glancing upon the Ithecal, as he shares the depths of his soul through a story of his life, "But it sounds like your people were... And please don't take offense to this, rather..." A knit of the lips. Sybil wasn't good at lying, and the student was clearly chewing on tongue, trying to word this properly, while not offending Tulias, and his heritage. "Uncivilized. Such a judgement is not fair for the kin of murderers. Though as horrific as to go so far as to attempt to become something of a plague lord... Well. Even then, such a reality is not passed down from blood. They were not born to be slaves to such an Immortal. They chose to follow it, regardless of the cost. ... That shouldn't reflect you." Sybil offers a slow shrug to that. Utilitarian law had rubbed off on Sybil.

As Sybil leaned back, eyes slowly glanced about Tulias. Indeed, it was suspicious, but it wasn't exactly enough to actually condemn him to death over. Sybil was a good judge of character at this point, and unless he was some sort of man that plays a deep game with double think, it wasn't obvious that he was particularly amoral, or deviant. He was just trying to live his life, as it seemed. Nothing more, nothing less. Sybil's marble green eyes slowly consider the overgrown lizard, before settling on a statement, "Frankly, tossing away someone that could have benefited their society is a society that doesn't quite deserve people. ... You will find that your past won't matter here, all too much." A slow nod of the head is given, before Sybil simply leans back, "Just do your part, give back to the Citadel, and you'll be accepted with open arms. Just don't go around trying to worship anything... Malignant."
word count: 517
Tulias
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Fri May 10, 2019 2:11 am

Tulias's worries and anxiety melted away as he listened to Sybil speak, eventually returning to his previous upbeat mood. "You speak with great wisdom and kindness. I am grateful for your words. As far as my opinion of immortals go..." He gave a dismissive shrug "I feel as though they are not too different from us. There are good and bad ones just like in any race. I would not say I am very keen on worshiping any of them, but one that has my respect is Ethelynda, most of my kind worship her to some extent. She is credited for the creation of my kind and like many of my kind, she is known as a protector and loved for her honor and nobility. These are traits I value, but I am not going to easily give my mind, heart, and soul away to a being I have never met before." He gave a lighthearted chuckle.

He looked Sybil up and down, examining their current state of being."You appear to be doing much better today. Is there anything you wanted to do? I am sure there is all sorts of trouble we could get into, if you have the desire." He gave a teasing wink. He then stood up and began sorting through his things, continuing to talk as he did so. "The weather outside is not so bad right now, I mean, for what it usually is. Might do you some good to step out and stretch your legs a bit. It would do no good to keep a young....." he turned to Sybil, his gaze uncertain. "Lady? Cooped up in here. I can only imagine what the gossip is around camp."
word count: 286
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets

Contribution

Sat May 11, 2019 12:22 am

It was something about Tulias's mood. Something about him, was genuinely starting to tease into the student's mind, easing in the blanketing depression that had coated Sybil's mind for so long. Sybil simply settled back, letting out a soft chuckle, as though there was something funny about it all. It was funny that despite being at the lowest point, there was something to look forward to. It was funny, that life took one friend away, but gave another one, almost immediately. It was like some cosmic joke that lacked a punchline. Something that was so ill in nature, but was structured as though the entire thing was just a jest. This didn't make any sense to Sybil, who had been steadily losing and gaining friends in a semi-constant ebb and flow that almost had no structure to it. No mater how much the student tried to adapt, it was nearly always pointless to do so. It was... Almost liberating, to just embrace the cycle.

Slowly glancing over towards Tulias once more, a slow tilt of the head is given. The Ithecal Immortal. That was one that Sybil had little formal education about. It was simply a case in which things never truly made much sense, to research. Though perhaps that would've changed, if Sybil knew that an Ithecal was in their future. "I have no opinion, I guess. I thank the Ice Queen for her service, and go about my life." A shrug is given, as though it was the most natural thing in the world. In truth, Sybil was a bit of an outlier, among one of the few Videnese who weren't vying for the Immortal of Intelligence and Communication's attention. A slow sigh is given, though, as the topic of doing things comes up. A knit of the lips to the side, before the eventuality comes to fruition, "We should... Probably start looking for Wald. It's been a few trials, and... I think we'll be a bit behind, if we don't catch up with him."

A lopsided smile is given, "... Hopefully they won't be talking too much about that, eh?"
word count: 371

Return to “Viden”