Doran's Letters

Need to send a letter to a friend? Family member? Lover? Here you can post in character letters to other PCs that are not in your area. Take a look inside for more information and to see how long travel time is for letters.

Moderator: Staff

Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Doran's Letters

All letters for Doran should be posted here.
word count: 8

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Patrick
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Trouble
Renown: 575
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Doran's Letters

Dated from Ashan 20th 718, however the courier apologizes for the delay; as the arrival is Ymiden 4th 718
Swordsman!

Bet you didn't expect this letter to arrive on your doorstep. Have you figured out who this letter is from yet? Consider yourself honored with the nickname by the way, it's a bit of a personal hobby of mine and just seemed to stick well with you. Still guessing? Well we never outright were properly introduced but you may remember a certain treasure hunter? Destined to discover a lost mythical gem hidden away with some glorious ruin? Been too long since we last had the chance to speak! I'd honestly been wrapped up with the race to find the ruins of Orimar, as they could only be found during the season of Cylus apparently. Boy do I have a lot to tell you in regards to that place.

First off you remember that lesson you gave me? Suffice it to say it came in a little handy afterwards, but for what we were up against no amount of preparation would've helped I'm afraid. See my personal contact who was more the 'expert' on this place had researched a lot about Orimar, and with the items we needed to find the place; getting there was only the beginning of our troubles really. We followed clues that led us just outside the borders of Etzori territory, and within the range of Ne'haer territory if we considered the landscape. After a bit of searching we found a valley hidden away within the forest and hills, a valley that hid the entrance to the ruins with some sort of 'test' that had to be solved. It wasn't so difficult of a task really, just had to light a few beacons and use their towers to direct lights onto the statue in that valley.

It's all weird shit with really unusual mechanics that I couldn't thoroughly explain, all I can tell you is that the people that used to live there were very crafty. Anyways come to find out the entrance was hidden underneath the statue, which moved to reveal it when the first puzzle was solved. We had a couple more, or would've, that would've been required but the second trial seemed busted already. However it correlated with the third and final trial as well, which was the last act required before finally opening the gates to Orimar. According to my friend the Orimatsu worshipped 'Emean Gods' as expressed in their records, but what he thinks they saw as 'gods' were actually entities that pretty much brought their downfall. What we found in the city?

I can tell you there was no damn gem to be discovered there! Turns out the Orimatsu made their Seers there drink the water, which isn't safe by the way, and in doing so condemned the city to oblivion. Least that's the theory we've formulated, but we can't say for sure since we weren't able to stay there very long. The original residents weren't obviously there anymore and while the reason why isn't clear, they obviously weren't inclined to depart with their demonically twisted seers either. I can't explain much since I don't have a lot to go on, but I can easily tell you that magic was definitely involved there. It was weird shit that can't get my head wrapped around, save for the fact those seers -were- what the Orimatsu called their Emean Jewels.

So no such luck on an actual gem there, although there were a few unusual things we scrounged up before clearing out. Next time I'll write to you, I'll be sure to send a souvenir for you; that way you can see just what exactly was found there.

Regards,
Patrick
word count: 651
"Freedom is everything."

NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Re: Doran's Letters

Zi'da 719
Placeholder!
word count: 4
Please — consider me a dream.
Sintih
Race: Yludih
Profession: Student
Renown: 110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Saun, 40th, 720th Arc

Dear professor Tethys

In looking through the things Ronan left behind, I found the accompanying letter in his possessions. It was sealed and unnamed so I took the liberty of breaking the seal to find out what it was or possibly who it was for. I promise that I didn't read past your name near the top of the letter. I didn't think it would be wise to try and reseal it so I simply tied it up with the string, as you see before you.

Kind regards
Nurse Lilea Enthendis

P.S. I might be overstepping here but if you've heard anything from Ronan, please could you let me know. Even if it is just to know that he is safe.

Saun, 38th, 720th Arc

Doran

It’s currently late as I’m writing this. One of my roommates here complained about the candlelight just now. I can’t sleep, so I figured why not try and put my thoughts into words. Perhaps when they’ve left my mind and settled on the paper, I can go to sleep. At last.
Well, it seems like the paper has turned into a fully-fledged letter now.
I don’t really remember anything from before I woke up. Well, the period in between leaving Rynmere and before getting to Viden, I mean. Only those horrible hallucinations. For the longest time, I felt like I was the only one left. My love, dead, my mentor, dead, and me just unable to follow them.

But then you showed up. Right there in that hallway, with those people with you. I still can’t really believe it. Well, I do, don’t worry, I know you’re really you. But that you were there when I needed it is ever so important to me. Everyone else was helping and I was making progress, but when you were suddenly there, I felt as if I suddenly had a reason again. Suddenly, I could run alone, rather than shuffle forward with the help of others. You were there, you’ve seen how things have improved. I would want to say thank you for that but I don’t have words with the right weight to measure up to what you have done. So, thank you. Thank you for being there when I needed you.

I didn’t believe at first. It was the paranoia from the constant hallucinations, of course, but even when it was pointed out to me by the people I relied on that you were actually real, I still didn’t believe it. And once I did, I had to overcome my old feelings for you. You have changed so incredibly much since last I saw you. Another thing I couldn’t believe. You used to be so unforgiving, so strict. A taskmaster. A lecturer.

I was younger then, less understanding. I held actual hate for you in my heart. You were the man who had tried to mess with my father, how could I not. At least, that’s what it had looked like to five arc old me. But when my parents passed, you were there, in whatever capability you could. Of course, that wasn’t the capabilities I wanted at the time, but we rarely get what we want in this life. I wanted a friend, you were a teacher. I wanted a parent, you were an instructor. I wanted understanding, you provided knowledge. I wanted to be a child, you made me into an adult.

All that is in the past. As I’ve told you in person already, everything you’ve taught me, everything you’ve provided me with, has been helpful now, later in life, when it matters more.

So, another thing I have to thank you for, it seems. Another thing I don’t have the right measurement of words for. Perhaps we should have focused a little more on my vocabulary at the time.

With all this preamble and all, I just wanted to say that you’ve done a great job. I’m getting better every day, certain people around me care what happens to me, I’m getting back in touch with the person who matters most to me and, slowly but surely, I’m able to leave those horrible memories behind.

Those experiences, hallucinated as they were, did allow me to grasp a little bit of what it must have been for you. I know, I know. You never actually told me about them. But I’m not an idiot, despite what you may have once thought of me. Even I can see some things that are right in front of me. Such incredible pain, for all these arcs. I just hope that you’re not hiding from it like I did but overcame it, like you taught me to.

Which is why I was so happy to hear that you’ve found someone for yourself. Someone who is able to draw your focus away from all those interesting books and experiments that you’re probably busy with all the time.

Oh, right, congratulations on your successful thesis defence. You’ll make a great Dean some trial soon. Take it from someone who knows those kinds of things.

Anyway, the candle is burning out so I’m going to have to cut it short here. I’ll just seal these papers and think about sending them to you some other trial. For now, I’m going out to have a look at the moon for a bit and then it’s off to bed.

Maybe, when you have a little more free time, you could show me around your lab. I feel like getting stuck in a little alchemy again.

Many thanks for everything

Ronan
word count: 970
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Arrives 1st Vhalar
Dear Doran,

Please forgive the informality of this note, but I am writing to ask you a favour. I don't know if you are aware, but a place on the outskirts of Rharne, Storm's Edge, has been under siege for some time. We have encountered a number of creatures which appear to be mutated versions of animals. They have different - but consistent across animal - abilities and are attacking Storm's Edge in a very methodical manner. Examination of their blood has indicated animal traits and Aukari traits, along with other mutations. Each creature has a "gem" like object inside it, which also links back to an Aukari male (see notes attached).

I wonder if you - and possibly your student, West Wellin who I know has an interest in such - might help us? I'm seeking to find something which hurts these creatures on a large scale. I'll also be aiming to find them, and to be able to find whatever -or whoever - is controlling them. When I studied one of the gems with an Immortal-granted ability it showed me a young Aukari. Full-blooded, I'd say. Pale, gaunt, his eyes are sunken in. He doesn't look well. He's somewhere dark, dank, no windows.. It was evident that the gem was more than important to him. It's part of his identity, part of who he is. He's sweating, his pupils are dilated, and his breathing is ragged and laboured.

The scroll I enclose will allow us to communicate immediately - what you write on it, I will see on my partner to it, and vice versa. The box is an echo box - items placed inside it will be transported to it's mirror, which I have.

If you can, in any way, help me to research these creatures, or shed any light on the samples I have sent, that would be excellent. I thank you, so much, for your help in this matter - and I apologise for the fact that I am thanking you in advance. I hope to get to Viden this cycle if I can, but Rharne needs my help - and yours.

I enclose the following:
Samples from the creatures
All notes from the ember plague
All notes from autopsies and examinations up to this point.
All records of encounters.

I hope and trust that you are well.

Very best regards,

Faith Augustin

Please note. This arrives with all the notes she has on these creatures - etc. There is also an echo scroll and an echo box. All of the info will be available in Command Central.
word count: 439
Life, Death and the In-Between .
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Date: Vhalar 66, Arc 720

Doran –

I hope this missive finds you well. I was delighted by your company at the Ball and will cherish the wonderful conversations we had – both there and at the Institute. Please know your presence is missed!

I’m back at Storm’s Edge and we’ve had an interesting event happen. No one seems to know why but The Stormwastes were nearly split in two by a massive earthquake. There’s a giant rift now. They are trying to figure out what to do but it seems likely that an expedition will be necessary. I find the timing of this natural phenomenon particularly odd but hopefully, an explanation will present itself soon.

One piece of good news – I found out about an academic conference that is happening in Viden between 30 and 40 Zi’da. Vin and Rilith will be attending and have gotten permission for me to accompany them via the Eclipse portal if I’m able! I’m waiting to hear what the plan will be for the rift before I’ll know if I can come for sure….but if I’m able, I would love to spend some time with you. As I recall, I owe you dinner (and your cook a night off!). It would also allow me to deliver your Zi’da gift in person.

The days are long. I have good people around me but I’m I confess I feel I’m being pulled more and more in opposite directions along two different paths. As I told you, academia is my safe place…but the world that is developing around me is calling, like a siren’s song. There are mysteries to be solved and things to be found. I’m not sure how much longer I can pretend to be happy with this double-life I’m leading.

How I wish you were here so we could talk about it.

Morning comes early these days so to slumber I go. Please take care of yourself and know I’m thinking of you.

-Elisabeth

word count: 348
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Date: 100 Vhalar, Arc 720

Doran –

I can’t express how excited I was to receive your letter! Things have been a bit glum here due to recent events and your letter was a welcome and oh-so-needed ray of sunshine.

The most important thing I must tell you is that it’s confirmed that I will be coming to Viden in Zi’da. I’m counting the trials. While I am thrilled to see the Academy again and Viden, I confess that the bulk of the anticipation revolves around getting to see you again.

I have additional information for you regarding the earthquake…and it’s a doozy. Between the time I last sent a letter and now, more information has come to light. The rift that appeared split the Stormland’s in two, from the Umbral Caverns to the Mire. The rift is so wide that the only way across is to fly, I think. It’s depth, light doesn’t reach the bottom, even in the brightest of sunlight. Monsters were swarming out of the rift in hordes. Like the ones we fought before but so many more.

However, we had a surprise visitor. Ilaren came with others. They managed to seal the beasts in the rift for now, but a final attack is being prepared for Ashan. I don’t know yet what my part will be, but as you are well aware, I’ll be the first to volunteer. There are other details to tell but those can wait until my visit. I’ll tell you everything then.

Thank you for the advice regarding some of my struggles. I’m trying to stay positive and focused on what needs to be done.

I remembered last evening that it should be snowing in Viden by the time I arrive. I would love to take a walk in the snow with you if time allows. Like the stars, I have a deep love of snow. Have you ever noticed when it snows that the world becomes quiet? I found out that snow actually absorbs sound and that’s why things feel so much quieter when it snows. Beyond that, falling snow is still something that makes me feel giddy like a child. I hope it never loses its magical qualities in my eyes.

I should sleep soon. In answer to your question regarding the Echo Scrolls, I would be honored to accept such a gift from you…and quite touched.

Be safe and know that someone is thinking of you.

-Elisabeth
word count: 425
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: 1110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Arc 720, 90th of Vhalar

To: Doran Thetys, Viden.

Dear Doran,

I hope this letter finds you well.

I'm not sure if you remember me, as I'm sure you have shared an arena with many an opponent and student over the arcs, but I had the honour of being taught by you at The Proving Ground in Scalvoris Town, back in Ashan.

Much has changed since then. I must confess that I am no greater a swordsman than I was after the completion of your lesson. I have, of course, been practicing, but I would not yet trust myself in pitched battle!

I am writing you because I am in need of more training.

I expect you know of the earthquake that recently occurred in the Stormwastes. I am not an expert on such events, but I was able to learn - during a hurried visit to Storm's Edge in the wake of hearing news of the earthquake - that it was no natural thing. I am quite certain that is wider and darker than the ocean's depths.

As a result of the curious nature of this 'natural' disaster, there is to be an expedition, and, I dare say, a coming battle. I feel compelled to play my part, but if I am to be involved in combat, I fear I am currently ill-equipped. The expedition will begin next arc, on the last trial of Ashan.

I can think of no better teacher to equip me with the skills I need than a grandmaster swordsman such as yourself.

I have matters to attend to in Scalvoris in the short term, as we are still reeling from the eruption of Faldrass and the devastation it caused, but I am making plans to be in Viden in the first half of Zi'da. I hope you will consider honouring me with another training session. I am willing to pay you, should you deem that necessary.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours respectfully,
Darius Baer.
Last edited by Darius Baer Bottom on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 342
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Date: 41 Vhalar, Arc 720
The young woman was leaving Viden but she had one last thing to do. A promised gift for a dear friend.

Knowing Doran was at the Academy, she left the small package and letter with Elias.

Date: 41 Vhalar, Arc 720

Doran –

Forgive me for not giving this to you in person. I didn't want to disturb you at the Academy and my time here grows short.

Holidays are meant for showing appreciation to those who mean something to a person. Our conversations and interactions have been few, but profoundly meaningful. I'm proud to call you my friend and I hope you find meaning in the gift I've left.

-Elisabeth

Once the package was opened, Doran would find a large, illustrated book of mythology and fairy tales from all over Idalos. Inside the front cover, Elisabeth had signed the book with her name, surrounded by little hand-drawn stars and snowflakes.
word count: 159
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: 1110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Arc 720, 103rd of Vhalar

To: Doran Thetys, Viden.

Dear Doran,

Thank you for such a quick reply to my earlier letter. I was grateful to receive it!

Thank you, also, for agreeing to give me more training. Your willingness to do so without taking payment is greatly appreciated!

I will take heed of any advice you can give me, and I can assure you that I have every intention of exercising caution whenever possible.

As far as a venue, you are the local expert, but it sounds like the Fitness Centre offers more space, so that might make it the most suitable option.

I look forward to setting sail and spending time in Viden. I anticipate arriving in the city around the 40th of Zi'da, so I will take a trial or two to get settled, and then get in touch.

I have been to the city before but have never ventured beyond the docks. I hope to do some exploring while I'm there.

Yours respectfully,
Darius Baer.
word count: 176
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Letters From Afar”