September 2018 Character of the Month!

Recognizing those who strive to help players, fix problems, and ultimately, ensure a fun environment for all roleplayers.
Munchkin
Advocate - Staff (TL)
Advocate - Staff (TL)
Race: Mer
Profession: Advocate Team Lead
Renown: 0
Office
Medal count: 4

Contribution

Staff

September 2018 Character of the Month!

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:58 pm

September 2018 Character of the Month: Velaine Krome

Please join us in congratulating Velaine Krome for being September's Character of the Month!

Starting out as a Rynmere noble, Velaine quickly made a name for herself in Rynmere on creation as an intricate and well-thought out PC, with much more to her than meets the eye. Collaborating heavily with PC's like Xander Krome, Nate Endor and many others - she created a story that many read and enjoyed. Now, she has found herself in unfamiliar areas, with fear of being found as a mage heavy in her plots - and has still kept us all entranced in her story!

We hope you enjoy the interview below!

1. Starting with the basics, how did you start forum roleplay, and what brought you to Standing Trials?

I think I started forum roleplay when I was about 14 or 15 - definitely while I was in middle school. Before that, I didn’t even know that forum roleplay was a thing a lot of people did. Being the child I was, I was totally into this Percy Jackson-based site and spent my time there. I was on the site for a few months - I think - before it closed down. Needless to say, I was pretty sad because I just realized that forum roleplay was something I really liked. That it was an opportunity to meet awesome writers and how seeing all these beautiful writing helped me improve my English - since I totally still sucked at it back then.

And so I scoured the web for other forum roleplays, found various sites but I never stayed long. Nothing really fit me. I found Mizahar around 2013 and wrote there for a couple of years, even through various struggles because I was super attached to my character there. And like many of you here, I found my way to Standing Trials. A good friend (If you’re reading this, you know who you are) told me that it’s a really great site and so here I am!

2. Velaine is a member of the Krome family. What made you want to write a Noble and, more specifically, a Krome?

For some reason, I have always gravitated towards making concepts for noble-type characters. There’s something just so interesting about them. I love that they could be involved with many intrigued and how they shoulder responsibilities to their family and their people. I have always liked the Kromes in particular, about how they are known to be brash and unrefined, don’t quite fit in the noble stereotype.

I had been stalking the Rynmere Nobles info page for quite a while when I came upon this thread by Xander Krome/Ent, who was looking for some sibling PCs. I was instantly like: this is fate. After hesitating for a while, I finally decided to contact him and offered myself to be his sister. I figured it would be so much easier to plot when you already had sibling PC’s when you started as a noble and it certainly did. And that, friends, is how Titania Velaine Krome was born.

3. What changes have occurred since starting Velaine that you didn't see coming but are glad they did?

One of the best things that unexpectedly happened to Velaine was most certainly Nathaniel Endor. When I first started Velaine, I certainly did not imagine her having a relationship right away or anything along those lines. In my head, she would be single-minded in her pursuit of revenge against her family and taking her rightful place as heir to her barony. I had even planned that even if she did marry, it would be to secure her house’s power and alliance with a merchant family. But then, I noticed that a new noble was coming into play. We talked and planned for Nate and Vel to be betrothed unwillingly. When we threaded, well, let’s just say the two PCs had amazing chemistry and really the romance was inevitable.

Honestly, Nate/Nymph helped me find the voice of Velaine and work out through some struggles I had with writing her. I was struggling with how busy real life was, but writing with her made me really want to stick around. Nate/Nymph certainly made my experience writing a whole lot better and helped me ease through the struggles of being a noble with the Mantis around. It even ended up into a pretty good plot between us! When Nymph decided to leave the site, I was unsurprisingly upset and I have to say I really miss her.

4. If Velaine could be instate one law in Rynmere, what would that law be and why?

One law… I suppose she’ll pick the most obvious one: No more hunting and murdering mages. I am not saying there shouldn’t be any sort of leash or control over people with magic in Rynmere, but Velaine would certainly appreciate it that if people would refrain from burning her on a stake on discovery. Can you blame her? Burning on a stake is so not cool.

5. It's no secret that Velaine has, and uses, a few of the magics here on Standing Trials. What drew you as a writer to them, and what drew her as a character?

Alright, we can start with Empathy. Empathy is certainly the no-brainer choice for Velaine to me. Even before she had any magic, she had been fascinated with learning about how people work, how they react, how to use it to her advantage. It drew her to psychology first. Once she learned about empathy, of course she would be drawn to have a way to control people, to adjust their emotions and reactions to elicit the response she wants or needs. She has always been manipulative at heart and Empathy is a tool that helps her do it.

Next is Defiance. Velaine had always felt alone, like it was her against the world. She also felt that she was helpless to be anything but someone else’s pawn. Her parents see her as something to be married off while her relationship with her brothers are complicated. Defiance offers her control and companionship. The elements become her partners and protectors and they would listen to her, help her. This empowers Velaine, knowing that even when everyone was against her, the elements would have her back.

6. Is there any type of writing you don't like doing? Such as social threads, combat threads etc.

I don’t think there’s any that I actively dislike. All sorts of thread can be fun in my head - I have had super interesting social threads with a lot of intrigue and tension and personally I think that’s a lot of fun. Although admittedly, I do shy away from combat threads sometimes. I don’t hate it, but I don’t write a lot of it either since personally I find it really difficult to write combat. That didn’t stop me from trying though, so do bear with when you see me writing combat threads

7. If Velaine was a Mortalborn, what domains do you think she would possess and why? Any ideas for abilities?

Ambition. Everything Velaine is doing, everything she had done, it is all to fulfill her ambition to gain power and recognition. All her life she had been overlooked, considered as a pawn to be married off for her family to gain more power and she’s working her ass off to prove them wrong. That she could gain her own power. Without anyone’s help.

Revenge. Revenge definitely fuels her ambitions. At first, she felt like she was wronged by her family and planned to ruin their lives. She was ready to drive her father mad, kick her mother out of her own home and use her brother to gain the power she needed. Now, she feels wronged by the Mantis who stole away her freedom and cheated her out of a happy life. She blamed them for her broken relationship and she would definitely try to make them pay.

And the third… Well, I can’t think of anything else so I got no third. Maybe you guys can bombard me ideas later in Discord.

8. What do you think would happen if you and Velaine spent a day meeting in the real world? What would the two of you do?

Travel, definitely. Velaine wants to see the world and so do I. I mean, it’s probably not doable in one day but I’ll just pretend it’ll be a week-long long trip. We’ll go to these beautiful nature spots, like secret beaches and waterfalls and Velaine can show her magic Defiance hands and make everything cool. We would also eat. A lot. Because I’ll make her eat the craziest things because that’s what I like to do.

9. Do you find you and Velaine have any ties in personality traits? Mind sharing with us?

We are both pretty stubborn, that’s for sure. We both will go through great lengths to achieve what we wanted and all those who stood in our way be damned. Everything else… We’re totally each other’s opposites. For once, Velaine is certainly an extroverted figure, totally at ease with crowds and interacting with people and confident about who she is. She’s amazing at social gatherings and able to sway people to her side. Even without Empathy, she’s pretty great at reading people and bending them to her will. On the other hand, I, the writer, enjoy spending a lot of my time alone… reading, writing, playing games. Plus working and studying. A lot of working and studying.

10. Any particular songs or ambience you listen to when writing Vel, or any habits you do beforehand to get in the mindset of her?

To be honest, I don’t have any particular ritual to get into that mindset. One of the things I do is not having too many PCs to play with. At most, I limit myself to two so I could easily step into their heads and write as the character. I just sit down in a quiet room whenever I have the time and start writing. Velaine’s voice is easily the loudest one in my head and I am grateful for that. She’s a PC who knows what she wants and what she doesn’t want and so stepping into her shoes is rarely a struggle.

11. Do you have any off-site inspirations, like books or movies that helped/help you think of Velaine and her plots?

Definitely yes. Though I don’t think I can mention them all because it’s basically a combination of all the tv shows and books I’ve seen that involved some sort of royal family or nobility. I have always been in love with the idea of a young woman being overlooked as weak and simple, when a lioness hides underneath - or in Velaine’s case a wolf. I also want this female character to kick ass. Not because she actually kicks asses, but because she uses her head. That she is manipulative and smart and knows how to work every situation into her favor.

12. If you as a writer could have any one magic in real life, what would you have and why?

It’s not developed yet, but I definitely want Graft. Or Defiance. Or Sovereign. I mean, can I just have them all? Since I can’t choose I’ll just talk about each one of them. Graft is just practical in my line of work. And yes, I am indeed a maniacal doctor to-be. Fitting magic, right? Next, Defiance… Controlling the elements. Who doesn’t want that? I also happen to be a super fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender so it would be like fulfilling my lifelong dream. Lastly Sovereign… I’m just a lazy person and I just wish things would fly into my hand when I need them.

13. What do you see for Velaine in the foreseeable future? Any secret plans you're willing to share?

My plans aren’t exactly secret and some of you probably already know about it. Right now, Velaine isn’t in Rynmere and I plan to use this time to make her gain more experience and power as a mage. Right now there are some plots rolling involving her taking the mages of Rynmere out of there and bring them somewhere else. She would also try to gain support from various other people and cities, maybe an army or two to return to Rynmere and fight against the Mantis, who happened to be this group of mage hunters. They apparently will have control of all Rynmere’s armies so Velaine have a lot to do before storming back there to cause some trouble.

Hopefully, by the end of all this Velaine would be able to return to Rynmere and take her rightful place as Duchess of Krome. To feel safe at her home after being forced into hiding and made to fear for her own life. If she can kill the king and the queen, that would be nice too ;)

14. Anyone or thing on-site that has helped you make Velaine who she is that you want to thank? Mods, players, threads - you pick!

First and foremost, I want to give a shout out to Xander/Ent! Without him, Velaine Krome wouldn’t even exist, so I thank you for that Looking for Companion post on that fateful day. He and Celeste had welcomed me once Velaine was created and I love them for it. And I do hope you guys come back to Rynmere one day! Next, it’s only obvious that I thank all the mods who had helped me in Rynmere: Djinn, Muse, Khymarah. And also, Plague, who I flooded with way too much questions about the Mantis as I plot to bring them down. Of course, Aegis too for helping me plot for how Velaine will gain more power (Give me my army!). Last but not least, thanks to Munchkin who helped me spark more inspiration for Velaine when Rynmere got closed down (sort of) and most of the nobles disappeared. It left me stuck and uninspired, but somehow he convinced me to move Velaine out of Rynmere for a while and meet his obnoxious PC Ryder.

15. Spotlight is yours, anything you want to say or share?

Of course, I want to thank everyone for everyone for honoring me with this. I honestly never expected to be here, so again, thanks to everyone. I absolutely love writing Velaine and thank you Standing Trials for giving me the opportunity to create such a character. I would also apologize to everyone for my extreme slowness in writing these days because of how life busy had been and I love you guys for being patient and not hating me for it. Again, shoutout to my threading partners, old and new. Stay awesome Standing Trials.
word count: 2545
Pegasus
Lore Analyst
Race: Prophet
Profession: Telling Stories!
Renown: -665
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 31

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: September 2018 Character of the Month!

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Congratulations, Velaine!!! <3
word count: 3
Ryder
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: +120
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Medal count: 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:24 pm

I mean, I knew this was coming (quite literally, I did run it :roll: ) but insanely well done, and glad I could help you find new motivation for Vel! Incredibly well deserved from such a talented writer, so congrats <3 Look forward to future plots with you!
word count: 46
"The most dangerous people in the world are not the tiny minority instigating evil acts, but those who do the acts for them" ~ Suzy Kassem
Astronomy
Advocate - Apprentice Staff
Advocate - Apprentice Staff
Profession: Starchild Extraordinaire
Renown: +69
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Templates
Medal count: 6

Contribution

Staff

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Hey I know I wasn't here for two years and all but I'm genuinely surprised this didn't happen sooner! Well deserved Velaine! Congratulations!
word count: 26
Signature credit to Banshee!
Banshee
Storyteller - Staff
Storyteller - Staff
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medal count: 1

Staff

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Woo! Congratulations!
word count: 2
Tyrant
Storyteller - Apprentice Staff
Storyteller - Apprentice Staff
Office
Medal count: 5

Contribution

Staff

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Well done, Velaine. I hope you give those filthy stinkin' Mantis a run for their nels, or whatever the equivalent currency is in Rynmere. :D
word count: 24
Oracle
Storyteller - Staff
Storyteller - Staff
Profession: Fortune Teller
Renown: +500
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medal count: 8

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Congrats Vel! You totally deserve it!
word count: 6
"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
Office |Rharne| Rharne Lore | Rharne Development | Rharne Linkmap | Rharne OOC

If you like to request moderation please see the request form in my office, or simply contact me via pm.
Linika
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Apothecary
Renown: +119
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 10

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:47 am

Awesome job!
Awesome interview!
Awesome character! :D
word count: 6
- Poison -

"Shelf Life'...What an ironically contradictory concept."
- Linika Amarinthine -
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +100
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medal count: 2

Featured

RP Medals

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:48 am

This is super late, but thanks a lot guys XD
word count: 10

Return to “Accolades”