May 2018 Contributor of the Month...!

Recognizing those who strive to help players, fix problems, and ultimately, ensure a fun environment for all roleplayers.
Anomaly
Developer - Staff
Developer - Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: Advocate
Renown: -1
Plot Notes
Office
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 pm

May 2018 Contributor of the Month: Aegis

Please join us in congratulating Aegis for being May's Contributor of the Month!

Aegis swept into Scalvoris like a storm and got right to business in no time, providing the city with a myriad of plots and development pieces that have helped provide the players with plenty of interesting content. He's shared his spirit and work ethic with all who've had the pleasure of working with him or enjoying his work directly, being instrumental in driving important progress behind the scenes. In addition to this, he's been a persistently active presence in the community, making himself consistently available to players and staff alike on the boards and through external community platforms, offering helpful advice and a friendly face to speak to. For his present, ongoing and future contributions to the site as a Storyteller, he is being recognized as May's Contributor of the Month!

Enjoy the interview!

1. Standing Trials isn't your first play-by-post forum, is it? Could you walk us through abit of your history in this particular scene?

No, it is not. I've been on many sites before settling here. I did some runescape forum writing, final fantasy 9 forum writing. I did a decent stint on roleplayingguild.com which isn't themed, more free for all in ideas. I tried to build my own world there, but fell away from it after a while. Then I made my way to Mizahar where I stayed for a while, as PC and staff. Then our very own Brother showed me this site, and I've loved it ever since.

2. Did you have any prior experience with Storytelling or moderating a community like this before you joined our staff team? What kind, and from what sort of place?

When on roleplayingguild, I ran a small, growing world with about twenty players at its peak, as its only moderator/developer. It ended up being much bigger than my wide eyes were prepared for. While on Mizahar, I was an assistant storyteller, helping run a fairly busy city and making it busier.

3. What was it that spurred your decision to join the staff on Standing Trials? Why as a Storyteller above all else?

I love a good plot. I love tying in little things that come back later as a bigger thing. And after having a load of fun from Peg in my first modded thread, I wanted to do the same for others. To give that feeling of an extra special plot, just for your character.

4. You've been actively engaged in the Storytelling scene in Scalvoris since you came on board. How would you describe your experience, working with the Scalvoris players?

It's been busy, that's for sure. We're the most populated area on the site, but our players are great. We have a large community that gives both in terms of group plots as well as development. We've had our ups and downs, our victories and headaches, but that's what comes with working with such a large group of passionate people. But I've been well received and never felt more at home, and it makes me so happy and satisfied to give back to the players. I especially enjoy seeing when a PC runs with a plot well beyond the moderated thread it was given. That gives me a sense of pride and confidence, both in myself and in that PC.

5. Is there any particular story you're itching to tell but that you haven't had the opportunity to yet? Don't spoil too much, but why don't you give us a teaser?

I've dropped a couple of breadcrumbs here and there concerning some... business, the Pirate Lords left behind when they disappeared into the Mist. The Lords might be gone, but their legacy, the hold on the people's hearts isn't eradicated yet. And there are many of their secrets still to be discovered.

6. Do you have a particular routine when you get down to business? When you settle to start working on your staff account, do you have any ritual or method to focus that you can share? Music, mood lighting, that sort of thing!

Yes and no. I have rituals, but I often have to adjust them due to my being able to be too easily distracted, as well as my levels of energy. Typically if doing IC posts on mod account or as PC, I listen to rock or metal, typically with a female on lead vocals. If I'm running a large group thread, I tend to do more 80s pop. If I'm idea bouncing with someone, video game sound tracks, no lyrics. If I'm developing or writing articles, I put on a tv show on netflix. I always make sure to take a break between completed things, go for a walk, work out, eat. I also during anything major I'm working on, try to exit or silence all social outlets until I'm finished.

7. If there was one thing you could add to the game of Standing Trials right now, what would it be? Anything at all.

Hmm, I wouldn't say add, but rather use more of Spirits and Souls. I love the Induk, Anak, Diri, ghosts of varying levels. I'd love to see wisps completed, and see more players and mods alike use these various beings, myself included.

8. You've been a staff member for a few months now. What has been the most challenging part about being a staff member on Standing Trials, in your experience?

Juggling a busy PC and a busy city. I've been on both sides of the coin in my stay here. If I focus too heavily on Qit'ria, my mod stuff falls behind, and the players suffer. If I focus too heavily on my mod stuff, and not my PCs, then I suffer. Mods truly need to find that balance of being a PC and a moderator, and it is rough. Doubly so in busy cities.

9. What would you say motivates you as a staff member and Storyteller? What spurs you to keep contributing and trucking on?

I like to see my work used, to see plots grow out of it. To become more than what I made it. When I make something, I want to see it grow beyond me. I don't believe in the ownership of something developed. When I write something, I hope that others will add to it, IC preferably, but OOC is nice too. Growth and love is what makes a world like this truly successful, and I just want to help it along, and to hear how the players participating in it are enjoying it.

10. What made you choose the name "Aegis" for yourself? What does it stand for or represent, in your mind? What does it say about you as a moderator?

Aegis is a shield, a barrier, a guardian. I chose the name because it felt benevolently strong, plus it's just pleasant sounding in my mind. As for me as a moderator, I can't really say. Maybe as protection against boredom and stress for the players.

11. If you were a soft drink, what flavour would you be?

Root Beer

12. What sorts of stories do you enjoy the most from a Storytelling perspective? Do you have a favourite sort of genre or flavour that interests and engages you more?

I enjoy stories that don't appear to be big and impactful at the outset. Sure, world changing plots are great too, but I prefer a plot around a minute, little detail in lore or a city that may have gone unnoticed by many. I ran the Death Forged Rose plot simply as a continuation of thread where Aeon died in a fire. This little seed of a plot turned into a dozen threads that culminated in the Seasonal Event of Cylus, and has impacted well over a dozen players. I like to poke holes into things as well. Scalvoris is run by a very young government, and so, I decided to capitalize on that, and now, we've got plots every which way around the thought that law and justice is not a simple concept. It cannot be made perfect in 2 arcs time.

13. Who or what would you say has inspired your style as a writer? Be it someone here on Standing Trials, an author of a book, a movie, or even a historical figure!

I'm not sure how I would even describe my own style, in all honesty. Though I think the book, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, as well as the Bartimaeus Sequence of books helped me to develop a love for the little details and a more simplistic style of plot.

114. If you could give some advice to someone who wanted to contribute to Standing Trials, be it as a staff member or as a player, what would it be?

Plot charitably, develop selfishly, and always try to find a way to say yes to something. What I mean by this is plotlines are often best run with other people. So give them as much as you can in that plot. Give them the details they need for proper replies, give them the respect they deserve by acknowledging their actions and efforts, and give them the attention needed to keep the plot moving. Developing selfishly means to make something you or your character would use, even if its in area that you'll never visit with that character. It does not mean developing to make your PC stronger and OP, but rather developing it with your PC's mindset at hand. And finally, try and find a way to say yes if possible. If a PC comes to you with an idea but the execution seems off, its much better to try and work out a better way to reach the goal, than to simply say "No, that won't work."

15. I'm all out of questions, so the soapbox is all yours. Is there anything else you'd like to say or share?

This place is wonderful, we have a good community of writers. And yes, you put X number of creative people in a room, there will be drama. All of us need to learn to breathe, relax, and realize, this is a creative outlet meant for enjoyment. Ask yourself if you're helping to make this community better in some way, and if so, can you do more? And if not, why not? We are strongest when we work together and when we are all happy and letting our creativity run wild. So just try to remember, this is an enjoyment and hobby, both for you, for your friends, for the other PCs, and for the staff. Please treat it like such and have fun. It's why we are all here.
[table2=#f9f9f9,#f9f9f9]Image
loxmardin
--
&
Nathalie#2790
--
&
-- Image[/table2]
Pegasus
Storyteller - Staff (TL)
Storyteller - Staff (TL)
Profession: Telling Stories!
Renown: -665
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu May 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Aegis!!!!

Oh, I have so much to say, so many words. I love modding with you, Sarge. Keep on being you. You are fair, player focused, fun and a great guy. I love your weird little thing with getting names just right and I have absolutely adored working with you. You've got an evil mind, good heart and bright soul. Yay and well deserved!

Oh, and Jonathan Norrell & Mr Strange? FANtastic!!
Alistair
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Doctor
Renown: +520
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Letters

Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Congrats, amigo!
Gangui
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Faction Leader
Renown: +160
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu May 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Congratulations, you deserve this. Three cheers for Aegis! Hup hup huzzah!
Patrick
Approved Character
Profession: Trouble
Renown: +200
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri May 11, 2018 4:20 am

A wonderful interview for a very deserving person! I'm glad to not only be reading but writing and plotting with you in the aspects of our PC's buddy, you definitely are a genuinely creative writer with your stuff and it shows! Well done!
Seasonal Plans - Workshop - Rambles - Vlogs

"If I had one more day to wish, if I had one more day; to be better than I could have ever been."

OOC Note: As of Ashan 717 Patrick has been cursed with Sesser, therefore once a season he's at risk of turning into a Sessfiend. Should the occassion actually come to occur, PC's are warned to consider the extreme risk of injury and even their life; before proceeding to participate in the event. Looking forward to the potential plots and threads to come!
Oracle
Storyteller - Staff
Storyteller - Staff
Profession: Fortune Teller
Renown: +99
Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Fri May 11, 2018 11:48 am

Congrats Aegis! You are so deserving of this award. You have made my time as Sephira in Scalv a real pleasure. Before the Cylus event I was feeling lost with her sense of purpose and honestly didn't know if I wanted to continue writing with the character, but bringing the Elements to the forefront of the story really brought back my drive to write with her. Sephira has become a character I love to play, because of you. You are a wonderful storyteller, and I have greatly enjoyed the grit and darkness that you have brought to the city. You helped me find my drive to write again, and I haven't looked back since.

Thank you so much for all your tireless work and effort. You have impacted so many people in ways both big and small. You should be proud. ;)
"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
Office |Rharne| Rharne Lore | Rharne Development | Rharne Linkmap | Rharne OOC

If you like to request moderation please see the request form in my office, or simply contact me via pm.
Maltruism
Storyteller - Staff
Storyteller - Staff
Profession: "Mastermind"
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Player Review
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun May 13, 2018 2:14 pm

YES!

I have Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell AND all four volumes of the Bartimaeus Trilogy. ;)
No, in all fairness, 'The Ring of Solomon is not labelled as one of the Trilogy.
Just as "A Bartimaeus book".

They are starting to show signs of wear.

Anyway, Great Interview. All so true.
I can really relate to the balancing PC and mod time issue.
It seems like if I spend even a single day on my PCs, it takes a week to catch up on Malt. :evil:
Tio Silver
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Pirate Captain
Renown: +392
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun May 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Congratulations Aegis! You deserve this! :D

I think I speak for all the players on Scalvoris when I say that the work you put in to moderating for us is greatly appreciated!
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Traveler
Renown: +438
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones