• Graded • Commensalism

(Ini'ra, please!)

22nd of Ashan 717

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.

Moderator: Basilisk Snek

Limbo
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Parasite
Renown: -108
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Commensalism

22nd of Ashan, 717
Noon
Two breaks after leaving the Inn, the Mortalborn found himself in the thick of the crowd, surfing left and right with the movement of customers storming the Ctizen’s Market stalls. A cold sun blazed from above intermittently, sometimes hidden behind thick grey clouds that flew by the Etzori skyline towards the Southeast. With the blow of the breeze came the fresh scent of recently dug up soil, proof of the return of farming onto the daily works of the citizenry. Amidst those breezes were also other scents, however, like the smell of armpits, tobacco, hot meals, and the occasional mouth that breathed within the teacher’s face.

Paplo Ynush minded not the crowds, for like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, the local populace guaranteed the succeed of his disguise. A wolf wouldn’t quite fit in were it to mingle with wolves or vulture. As the wolf, Paplo sometimes felt the frustration of being away from his hypothetical pack, which never existed, or being stuck with these inferior creatures. Nonetheless, and ever since his arrival in Etzos, he had found quite the pleasure of playing a sheep. It is in this city where he had pushed himself harder into a respectable social position, and where he had learned to envision just how simplistic the Etzori mind was. How it worked and how it through were mysteries no longer, at least not as how unknown they were when he first arrived. Now, everything could be analyzed, calculated and predicted, and it made it somewhat boring.

The teacher arrived by the clothing stands, which were quite popular in this time of the arc. He passed on the browsing of work-related attire he didn’t quite need. Instead, he focused on the not so visited stands, where the fine and beautiful clothing laid. Not many people dared approach those isolated parts of the market, for the prices escaped their range, and the owners had grown wise, not allowing any commoner to try on the clothing. No; this was a nice section of the market, for nice and economically solvent people, respectable members of society, and, above all else, individuals with good taste. Were it not for the licenses required to open a store in the Commercial Ring, these stall owners would’ve hidden inside the Etzori walls long ago.
“Good morning, Luca,” greeted Paplo as he reached the stall, receiving a gentle nod. His hands started browsing the available goods. “No new batch?”
“What you see is what I have,” he’d say.
Paplo glanced towards the male, arching an eyebrow. “Frontier problems?”
“Of course it’s frontier problems. It’s always frontier problems,” the male would whine. “My whole business is flying out the window because of these frontier problems. Damn it all!”
Paplo continued to browse, taking special dedication to the ties. He found them impractical and costly, but he liked them. They suited him, just like they suited his beard and his suit.
“I tell you, one day I’ll buy myself a sword, go to that damned town and hack every one of those pigs. I tell you!” Luca said, still insisting on expressing his rage about the matter. “I can get away with it, too! Not even mountains could stop me from breaking those---“
“Calm down, please,” asked Paplo, who not fidgeted with a red and blue tie, looking in the poor mirror Luca had installed. After finding a small stain on said tie, it was returned to the pile. “Weren’t you going to do something about it the other day?”
“And I did. A hundred nel I sent them, and paid another twenty for the delivery, but my shipment was still denied and sent back,” explained Luca. “This morning, I wake up to no shipment and their usual letter full of bullshit, explaining me as if I was a child.”
“Did you think they cheated you?” asked Paplo, as he browsed the available dressing shoes. Not of his size, ugly, or damaged is how they found them. He was already reluctant to ever return to this stall.
“They sure have. I’m through with this, really. I don’t know what to do. I’ll probably have to close now. I can’t send the money again because otherwise I can’t pay for the shipment. I can’t ask for another loan, and I can’t sell a thing.” A funerary pause. “I think this is the end.”
“Well, it was a pleasure to purchase my clothing from you,” said Paplo, quite unceremoniously. His eyes began looking onto the other stalls of this style of wares, wondering if to go eat already or keep browsing for more clothing. “Also, make sure you check that courier. I’d trust him less than I’d trust the Army, no matter if corrupt.”

With that, Paplo moved on, eager to see what wares the Market had in store for him.
word count: 830
Ini'ra
Profession: Animal Handler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Commensalism

22nd of Ashan, 717
Etzos Markets
Where she sat was hardly a stand at all, more like a trunk of her belongings laid on its side and the Sev'ryn perched upon it with a pile of dark droplets dusted in sugar sitting in a glass jar and a small sign that read 'Sale' right beside her. The handwriting was shaky but written neatly, in the tall, thin script of an unsure hand. The smell of citrus and honey clung to her golden skin, with hints of ginger, and she hummed under her breath – a hymn from the temple of Aiséiri in Desnind. It was a gentle, lilting tone that sounded almost like a mother's lullaby.

No one had recognized the song, and as many people walked past, no one gave her more than a glance. She tried to smile, but they avoided her attentions or rolled their eyes, leaving the Sev'ryn girl to cast her eyes downward to her lap. Bright scraps of cloth were cut into small squares and placed in her palms and the crowd had begun to grow, but seemed intent to dismiss her. Such amass of bodies was new to the youth, and she felt tense in the stone city, secretly wishing for the familiar sounds of the forest – of the cries of exotic birds and bugs and the intoxicating smell of fresh flowers and moss. She hummed louder, if to drown out a bit of the noise, and focused on her work. It was a different type of meditation and it was keeping her sane.

Flatten the cloth, place a piece of candy in the center, tie it off and set it aside. She did this over and over, eyes looking to the skies and appraising the clouds. Would it rain soon? Ini'ra pursed her lips, popping one of the piece of honey lemon candy in her mouth and tasting it. It was sweet and coated her throat – a homemade medicine for coughs and a recipe of her family's making. As she continued to wrap individual pieces, she had begun to give up on the idea of customers.

So caught up in her own thoughts, she hardly felt the pocket of her cloak begin to stir or the tiny head that was beginning to slither out into the open. A black and white snake began to slither curiously out into the open, its tongue tasting the air. Ini'ra looked up at the crowd again, brown eyes lingering on those standing before a thud resounded and she gasped, realizing what had happened. Hastily setting aside her goods, she scrambled clumsily to her booted feet and leaned over her suitcase and scooping up the reptile who had now curled into a cold ball. “Oh, Rafik'ki,” she said softly, feeling sorry for the animal. Lifting him up, she held him in both her hands and kissed the top of his head, “Ready to go back?”

Looking into the eyes of the python, she uncoiled him and put him around her neck, feeling his cold scales tighten against her skin for warmth. Disappointed, she sighed and looked forlornly at her supply. Barely a sale.... But why? Her candy was delicious and it kept you healthy.

She had read the recipe:

Honey to keep away cough.
Lemon for health.
Ginger for strength.

She had even changed her prices three times, trying to understand a money system that didn't revolve around bartering.

What was she doing wrong?
word count: 585
Xanthea | Common
Limbo
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Commensalism

Paplo had already made his plans for lunch. A few rat morsels, maybe a couple of lettuces, and a session of sniffing the Crooked Cock's delicious stews whilst he drank some broth. Nothing had seemed to call for his attention this trial. Tools and furniture were of no use to him, boots and functional clothing ignored as usual, and even the spices he had ignored. The male was often invaded with the longing of his own home and his own kitchen, with their respective tools of course. Living in an inn made his life simple and normal, and it didn't call the attention of anyone. Anonymity itself became a problem the Mortalborn though as he carefully retreated from the Market.

Before he could fight off the crowds for his escape, he came across a rather peculiar stand, manned by a foreign girl. Blue eyes scanned the stand from the distance, not quite recognizing the stock nor the female herself. Nonetheless, both stand and woman stood out just like white stood out amidst mud. The foreigners, despised as they were, were often an easy target for him, and the female seemed desperate for a good citizen's assistance. As such, it was Paplo the knight in shining dressing shoes who came to her rescue.
“Good day, dear merchant,” he'd say once he stood before the sale. “What do you sell?”
Paplo immediately took a hold of one of the wrapped candy and inspected it from up close. Were the unwrapped candy invisible from his precise gaze, he would've assumed she sold napkins. Ugly ones, at that. Looking up at the female once again, Paplo showed his most charming smile, with his white and regular teeth and all, before speaking again. Not one glance was spared to the snake.
“Candy, I see. How much for a piece?” Even before the female replied, if she was capable of replying at all, Paplo already introduced a hand into his jacket's inner pocket, extracting a small leather pouch that screamed of his wealth. Digging through it, it was three silver coins what he extracted and laid atop the wooden surface.
“It smells nice,” he commented, as his nostrils sniffed the candy through the cloth. An acidic sweetness of sorts, with some herbal tones he couldn't quite distinguish. Unwrapping the cloth, he'd finally stood face to face with the candy itself, where his nostrils could delight themselves in the aroma. Smelling it was often better than tasting it. Tasting it again and again eventually ended up in the consumption of the delight. Smelling did not waste it, and a hint of saliva could refresh the smell again and again. “Let's see how it tastes.”

At last, he introduced the candy into his mouth. Instead of sucking on it, however, the male crunched it with his teeth, no matter how hard it was. The sound was similar to that of a dragon crunching stones. Even so, Paplo crunched with grace, as if this was the way candy was meant to be consumed, as if everyone else had been doing it wrong. As he tasted the honey and lemon, still trying to understand the herbal essence within the product, his expression turned to one of pure joy. His eyes once locked with hers, refusing to let go of her attention, craving for it and almost demanding it.
“This is marvelous,” he'd say, reviewing the product aloud as if the female were his audience. “I will take another one.” This time, Paplo did not fidget with his wealth. Instead, he took another candy, unwrapped it, and ate it, before he took a second piece and ate it without warning, all done with a haste that was meant to disrupt her calm. Would she call him out on not paying when he was praising her skills? He would find out soon enough. It was then when the teacher had another idea to turn the situation to his advantage.

Paplo ate a fourth piece of candy, and took a fifth one before raising his head and taking a deep breath.
Wow!” he exclaimed, loudly. “This candy is superb!”
His soft voice was unusued to speaking in high volumes, but it was nonetheless heard by the pedestrians. Some glanced towards him as they moved on to their destinations. Others halted their conversations and spied towards the stand.
“Honey and lemon mixed together in harmony, a bittersweet taste for the finest palates! Dear merchant, I must praise your skill,” Paplo gestured towards the female, dramatically. “My throat has never felt healthier thanks to your product. My lungs have been cleared, my arms feel stronger already, and my lower back has stopped aching at last. I require no more expensive herbal remedies for my maladies! Prepare to close, dear merchant, for I shall purchase all of your product immediately, for your delicious candy is better than any medicine man I've ever known.”
It was then when Paplo winked to the female, and raised his money pouch. It was no accident when the coins fell out down onto the mud. As soon as the male crouched to gather them, those gullible of mind came to steal Paplo's place, offering their own coins instead. An old woman came first, damanged by her smoking habits. She was then followed by an unlucky farmer with a dozen children, their children having grown a strange cough. Then came the greedy, who had fallen by peer pressure into the notion that said candy could be stored and resold at a later date for a bigger price.

Theatricality is what sold, not quality. The most senile of women could sell their ugly underwear with catchy phrases, by engaging in one sided conversations with the crowds, full of rhymes and promises that did nothing but tempt the mind. A foreigner like the girl was assumed to be a traveler, one that would not last much longer in such a hostile and xenophobic hub. Even if forein stock was usually despised, sometimes remedies came from faraway and temporarily bent the otherwise stiff Etzori attitude.

However that may be, Paplo had eaten five candy pieces, and after finally standing up, he found himself unable to spot the female anymore as the crowds demanded her attention. He was the unsung hero who now scanned the possible customers for the weakest links, who he'd would follow to their residences, and who would keep those locations in mind were he ever to find himself craving for something that wasn't as small as candy.
word count: 1099
Ini'ra
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Commensalism

22nd of Ashan, 717
Etzos Markets
The man came like a dark whirlwind, appearing before her stall - a shadow with bright eyes and an a rumbling voice that surprised her. Having been used to being overlooked, she jolted slightly, Ini'ra's thin fingers gripping the edge of her suitcase, her other hand resting over her heart as she gulped and tried to comprehend his question. Immediately she was embarrassed for having jumped, and she covered her face, remembering the lines she practiced, “Costs 3-” 'Copper nel'. Or so she was about to say, her accent layered with the curve of Xanthea, when silver pieces were tucked towards her.

She stared at them, pulled back to reality when his teeth began horrendously crunching the medicine. Ini'ra remembered what he had called it – Candy. She said the word softly, under her breath, and her mouth dropped slightly when he began to rip open others and eat them as well. “W-wait,” she tried to interject, but the command was so said so softly, it was doubtful anyone could hear her over the teeth that were no doubt cracking within the man's skull, “Stop.”

How many pieces had he eaten? Brow furrowing, she counted the discarded wrappers, taking an unconcious step back when he met her eyes, voice lifting high and pulling the attention towards them. What... what was he doing? He moved so quickly, so confidently, it didn't give her much time to process and mentally translate his words. And when she met his eyes – his wink – her own eyes widened as she watched the pouch of money being dropped to the ground. And then her all she knew was chaos.

People swarmed like flies on a piece of carrion, reaching for her, for her things, that she had to grab the coin and snatch her belongings back, holding them close to her body; a protective mother. Her hands tried to keep up with the flash of silver, and she saw that no one had read her sign that now was trodden underneath a man's boots. She tried to trade them, to identify the coin and offer change, but they stole their pieces, dropped money at her. It was only trills before all her candy was gone. “No more.” she tried to say, twisting away from bony fingers and children with dirty faces, “No more,” They made demands she didn't understand, and a nervousness made her tense, her heart thundering in her chest and an anxious blush to her sunny skin, “Sorry. No more-” 'Think.' “Candy.” She swallowed, but the crowd was no appeased. Their eyes were bright with... desperation? Greed? Hunger? Their grubby hands with their dirty fingernails reached for her, and she panicked. She wanted space.

She needed it.

“No. Stop.”

And when they still didn't listen, she reached into her pocket and produced the serpent, moving forward, “Snake!” she yelled, holding Rafik'ki outwards and watched as the first face around her contorted from exasperation to sudden fear. The woman screamed and the children screeched, the farmer blanching. Ini'ra realized these people, perhaps the whole city, was out of touch with nature, but for once she was happy for it. They had chopped down their trees to build this piece of civilization, and they couldn't even recognize a poisonous reptile from one that preferred to curl in a ball than strike.

Before they could question why she had a snake in her pocket, Ini'ra was already grabbing her stuff and yanking it away with her pet back in her pocket, letting her handwritten sign stay in the street and the rest of her wrappers to be scooped away by the wind. The man's... “performance”, had somehow pulled in customers – far too many for what she expected, but they were there none the less. It had been a sort of magic, and Ini could still remember his unsettling gaze that pinned her before they swarmed, and shuddered thinking about it. And that's when she remembered the money he had given her for his five pieces.

They had all overpaid.

A sad guilt settled upon her shoulders and she inwardly scolded her own panic, and turned to look back at the spot she had just fled. The crowd that had gathered had disperesed, a few calling out curses at her from her little trick but she paid them no mind. The man who had caused it – the one with hair like burnished gold – was watching those around him.

Ini'ra couldn't tell what she was feeling. Anger? She was frustrated he had made her so uncomfortable but... he had given her money, and found a way for her to make more. She could feel the new coin in her pocket – the thing that meant dinner tonight and another roof over her head. A kind act! She had to return the favor.

With small, quick steps, she stood at a distance, inching herself closer before taking a deep breath and lightly tugging on the man's sleeve, “'Ex-cuse,” she began, stressing a part of the word that was understandable, if odd sounding. She dipped her hand in her pocket, producing the silver he had given her, and counted the difference, “You ate...five candy, but pay too much. Only three copper. For you.” In a city like Etzos, it was unlikely to find such honesty, such purity – an innocence that could call the wolves to supper, and while she was nervous, when she looked at the monster wearing the skin of a man, Ini'ra tried to smile.

She didn't know any better.
word count: 946
Xanthea | Common
Limbo
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Commensalism

An aged man with a damaged back, a mother of oh-so-many children, a young and seemingly healthy adult... The choice of customers for Paplo's irresistable offer were many, all of them having their particular trait to invoke his interest. Those old and damanged had little chances of fighting back. Those with large families offered a bigger meal. The young and strong meant a better quality. Many were the concerns Paplo had to equate before sinking his teeth. Even so, their services would not be immediate. They would live until disgrace or great appettite shook the Mortalborn's world. Regardless, the research into possible feasts had never been skipped. For an apex predator like him, few were the real worries. It was because of his will to remain anonymous that his selection became so hard and exhausting. Sometimes he felt a mild sadness when he imagined his appettite would end the story of one of these individuals, for he often craved to witness just how their life was, how they behaved and how they thought. Sometimes he wanted to understand how mortals worked.

Suddenly, his attention was warranted by something tugging on his sleeve. The mere act snapped him out of his ponder, blue eyes flying down towards the shy and insecure female from the stand. The mere closeness to her gave him a great insight into the details of her features, like the amount of freckles on her flesh, the light blush in her cheeks that spoke of her health or the lonely hairs that stood out from the mane as if stricken by lightening. Her mere attitude was as harmless as that of a lettuce – no part of her entire being showed any hardness at all. The very mere attempt to flash a smile towards the teacher resulted in said man shining his own smile, charming and wide yet improvised and somewhat enthusiastic.
“No,” he said, as he looked towards the coins. He wanted to get rid of his wealth, not save up! Because of this, his hands gently took a hold of hers and forced her fingers to close around the change. It was important to note that the mere softness of his digits seemed almost unnatural, as if the man's hands had never been damaged by neither weights or wounds. “Please, keep it. Your candy was delicious.”

The teacher concluded almost by instinct that the female would not resist much were he to sexually advance her. This wouldn't happen because of her desire for him, of course, but because of her own lack of social security within these areas. The notion would apply to any situation the female found herself into; were she to encounter anyone that resorted to intimidation and exacerbated confidence in their social interaction, the female would undoubtedly comply. Not even her snake would be able to protect her for long. To say the Etzori were friendly would be true, yet said statement did not apply to foreigners. In this ecosystem, she was an endangered species.
“My name is Paplo Ynush,” he'd announce without warning, pointing towards himself with a thumb. “What's yours?”

Despite the danger the female was in by her ineptitude to conceal her weakness, Paplo believed her to be quite a refreshing individual. His readings were often inaccurate, for they revolved around complex social situations. Large groups, for instance, were impossible to read. Their mentality changed and evened out acorss every member. One on one interactions were optimal, yet they too proved to be quite inaccurate. The attitudes of an individual could change drastrically depending on whom they interacted with. However, this girl seemed different. She seemed... balanced in her lack, somehow, as if her whole being was still incomplete, unexperienced and immature. Like that of a child. Paplo held some adoration towards mortals for that same reason, for their diversity and uniqueness. Everyone was special. Such was the interest Paplo felt for her that his eyes religiouslly stared back at her, locking eyes with her whether she looked up at him or not.
“Are you hungry?” he asked, patting his stomach. “We can eat, nearby.”

Using the advantage he had over the female, Paplo offered her a hand, body shifting to the side as his other hand invited her to follow after him. His smile never left, nor did his eyes that laid so calmly on hers. She could very well enter is collection of future feasts, for she would not be missed by anyone – or, at least, by anyone important. Two dozens of those outcasts were already in said collection, in said emergency category. For now, he wanted to learn about her, about what she could offer him in return for his kindness. Perhaps her body. Perhaps her flesh. Perhaps something else.
“Come on. I don't bite,” he joked.
word count: 808
Ini'ra
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Commensalism

22nd of Ashan, 717
Etzos Markets
His soft hand enveloped her own and he pushed the money back, saying that he enjoyed her candy and wanted her to keep it. Really? She blinked, looking at the change and brightening, “You sure?” She counted the coins, still having a hard time fully understanding their value, but knew a few items they would buy. Food was definitely one.

When he introduced himself, she looked back up at his towering figure. Introductions were easy enough, “My name is Ini'ra.” she extended a hand to shake his, remembering the social practice, “You can call me Ini. I'm from Desnind.” She wasn't quite sure why she shared the bit of information, but it felt so tied to her identity, it seemed necessary. She wondered if he cared about that or not, but he seemed like the first decent person she encountered. At least he was willing to talk to her, and the money didn't hurt. It would keep her alive for another day, or at least that's what she thought.

Paplo suddenly asked her if she was hungry, rubbing his stomach and she looked up at electric blue eyes that still unsettled her. She wondered... Was it possible... Was he a Plague Bearer? Ini'ra stepped back, regarding him carefully. Lisirra followers were said to have glowing eyes and his were so bright. Her head cocked slightly, considering, and then tried to brush the thoughts away. It would be rude to ask, and given the city's feeling towards Immortals, she decided it best to keep quiet.

There was a time and a place for everything.

When she realized she still had not answered him, she rushed her reply, “Are you?” She noticed his eyes didn't quite glow, now that she was looking at them, and relaxed a bit, “I can make food. What food you like most? I cook.” Perhaps it could be a good way to repay him! She lifted up a hand, hoping he would understand that she wanted him to wait, and pulled over her suitcase, bending down to open it up. There were very few actual clothes, most of the space being taken up by various cooking supplies, and she pulled out a thick tome with a wooden cover, the fat papyrus paper stitched together beneath it. Flipping open the first few pages, the smell of foreign spices clung to the paper. Ini'ra moved to his side, and held it out for him to look, a number of sketches illustrating the finished product or different ingredients a meal included. The text was written primarily in Xanthea, and its curvy script, but she hoped her meaning was understood.
word count: 454
Xanthea | Common
Muse
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates

Contribution

Commensalism

Your review is ready!
Ah, when threads die. Sigh. Oh well, you ended it well. I'm going to admit that Paplo/Kovic really creeps me out and yet I can't really get enough of reading him. What a dilemma I have.

Note: In'ira has requested no rewards at this time.

Kovic

XP:
15 | These points cannot be used for magic.

Fame:
-2 manipulating the crowd, -2 planning to eat strangers

Loot

-3sn ... update your CS! :P

Injuries + Overstepping

N/A

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge:
Persuasion: Calming someone
Negotiation: Not settling for low quality
Tactics: Taking advantage
Business Management: Sales through theatrics
Detection: Identifying a meal’s ingredients
Acting: Dramatism
Persuasion: Destroying fear and doubt through eloquence
Deception: Ironic lie

Other Knowledge:
N/A
If you've got a question or concern or if I've missed anything, don't hesitate to PM me!

Now that your review is complete,
don’t forget go back to your review post here and drop this image in!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=12206[/img][/center]
word count: 181
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Etzos”