• Graded • Seeker of the Tune

(Anakol) Just another day of filling streets with music

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Kayleigh
Race: Human
Profession: Freelancer
Renown: 49
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Seeker of the Tune

Saun 2 717, 11th Break

Uthaldria had a lot going on in the way of activity even when Saun had only just begun for the city, Kayleigh already had lost herself within the diversity of culture and she hadn't been here for that long. Even so the rise of two suns meant more than just a change in the season, Kayleigh had come to find much of the city itself had already began to change in it's own way. The Lotharro were an interesting lot to be sure, and it had been thanks to selectively one that she'd found herself quickly changed in turn. As she walked down the street with naught but her water skin and loosely worn bag, she twisted the bottom of her shirt into a roll that soon turned into a knot underneath her chest. Which only revealed her belly and a slight minimum bit of cleavage thanks to the 'V' of her blouse, and with her skirt on she could at least somewhat feel the air hit her upper legs. Only somewhat however.

Saun was just too hot! Uthaldria felt like a boiling pot left over a fireplace now, the humidity and temperature made Rharne's own weather seemed more tame. She wiped a forearm above her brow while her eyes searched the sky above, not a cloud in sight to provide relief from the heat. Even if there were any clouds to be found they would never have been enough, not when there seemed to be two suns residing within the sky this time of the Arc. She continued to wander on her own until she found a spot with some decent shade, a well fit spot for some late in the day busking since she felt ready to take a moment to rest. Once she rested her bag down from her shoulder, she opened the mouth of her water skin and took from it a long and heavy drink. She couldn't help but moan a few mm's in the process, as the taste of fresh water within her lips felt refreshing to indulge. When she'd finished with a soft sigh and sealed the container once more, she rested it down next to her bag as she dug out her harp.

For a while when she started to play she did so softly and unaware of the world, listened to the sound of each strummed string as she heard their note. At first she did so because she plucked for inspiration mostly, but even then she already had a tune all around her. Within the very heated air that she breathed in and out steadily, within the stone of the earth beneath her very feet, within the very ambiance of life from all the people around her. Her notes were gentle hums to random noises she heard or felt, but shortly afterwards that random behavior developed a pattern. An arrangement of notes that in time started to develop a tune for those to hear, many who passed by may had spared her a glance or two as she began to play but so far none seemed invested just yet. Still she played with a smile on her face while the surface of her fingers slid across individual strings, the array of notes she plunked for a very continuous tune that picked up rhythm and momentum.

She would sometimes change her position from a stand to a crouch on her feet, and when her knees grew stiff from being bent too long; she would rise once more to walk in paces close to her bag. Kayleigh couldn't help but enjoy herself now and as she watched from underneath her eye lids, a few passerby's seemed happy if not content with the melody she constructed for them. A couple stayed for a while as some merely stopped and move on, regardless though Kay became avidly aware of the attention her playing brought from the Lotharro around here. They were a simple lot but complicated deep down, Fridgar had already set an example of that. She had found that many Lotharro here, while not actively engaged in them, were particularly fond of the arts such as music and stories. A mutual thing she shared among them really; she too was fascinated with the power of words and music. Thus she thanked Zanik every waking moment, when she would find herself able to play a song that came straight from the heart.

She had almost forgotten her real purpose in being here in Uthaldria, which had ultimately been searching for your younger brother. Even when Kayleigh had no sign of him or no trail to follow what-so-ever, she still believed that they were going to meet eventually. Part of her wanted to believe they'd meet here in the street now, that little Higan would pop up in the small crowd that gathered and watch her. She smiled wider at the thought and found herself swaying intently with the melody, her motions not as graceful as she would like but nonetheless entertained the audience she'd accumulated. When she started to slow down and ease the tune a couple of tones, the melody went from something gleeful to a bit sad afterwards. The slowness of the tune sort of allowed several of those gathered to move on, convinced that the jolly bit of the show had come to pass for good. Those few that remained though watched her, aware of the transition that had taken place not just in song; but in frame of body language as well.

They could see the sadness in her play as she brought out the feeling of hardship through notes, the emotion she conveyed as her smile even lessened some. Her face had fallen to a more serious and occupied expression while her hands played the melody a little while longer, the sound of the tune matched with that of a song she'd sung quite often here recently. "Land of bear and land of eagle, land that gave us birth and blessing. Land that called us ever homewards, we will go home across the mountains." She paused only briefly as she found her tune, a smile crossed her lips as she continued to sing aloud to all that passed her by. "We will go home, we will go home; we will go home across the mountains! We will go home, we will go home; we will go home across the mountains!" As she sang along with the hymn of her harp she picked up a little to encourage a feeling of joy within that sadness. The few that watched here finally moved on but the sound of her voice changed things, as her previous spectators found no time to remain others felt themselves otherwise

"Land of freedom, land of heroes, land that gave us hope and memories. Hear our singing, hear our longing; We will go home across the mountains! We will go home, we will go home. We will go home across the mountains! We will go home, we will go home. We will go home across the mountains!" As she sang further along her tune brought a bounce out of her stance, her slow and soft sway almost energetic as she once again repeated the part she'd just sang. "We will go home across the mountains! We will go home, we will go home. We will go home across the mountains! We will go home, we will go home. We will go home across the mountains!" As she continued more seemed to stop and watch her, and a small number of Lotharro seemed to quietly sing along as well. It sounded like a popular song among the locals here, granted Kayleigh had only learned it from a rowdy bunch back at the tavern. To them the song likely held more of a different meaning than it actually did to her, still that didn't mean she couldn't convey her own emotions within the chants.

"Land of sun and land of moon, land that gave us joy and sorrow, land that gave us love and laughter. We will go home across the mountains! We will go home, we will go home. We will go home across the mountains!" Her crowd seemed small still but even so, the audience gathered seemed gracious enough to finally start tipping her with coin. "When the land is there before us, we've gone home across the mountains; we will go home, we will go home! We will go home across the mountains!" As she reached the end of her song she played the tune out just a little more, and created a sort of fade out as her posture came to a still before the crowd. When she stopped to see the group gathered at her place, Kayleigh couldn't help but softly grin to them all after she'd finished. Respectively she bowed at their gracious applause, happy to have actually earned a day's worth of coin as well as praise for the performance.
word count: 1528
"Can you tell me what hurts more? Is it remembering... or forgetting?"

NPCs Renown Rolls Timeline Influences Pantheons Trove Property Workshop Rambles Vlogs
Navyri
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Thief
Renown: 348
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Seeker of the Tune

"What if I fall?"

Oh but darling
What if you fly?

Review Complete
  • Kayleigh

Overview

You write beautiful descriptions and I enjoyed the IC observation that despite their brutish appearances, Lotharro are actually very deep and enjoy music the way other races do. The way you write her connection to music is also lovely, although I felt that her ability to pick and create melodies that work from random sources a delight to read, I feel it was a bit more than what a novice could do. I've played instruments in the past, and that ability to just busk on the spot was definitely (in my opinion) something only those with a strong grasp of music and their instrument could do. You don't need formal training, but I feel like it would be more believable at a competent level. With that being said, I still loved the thread. Great job.

Experience

Solo: 10XP - These points may NOT be used for magic.

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge
    Singing: Appealing to A Crowd
    Singing: Matching the Rhythm of a Tune
    Singing: Changing Octaves
    Instrument (Harp): Playing Uplifting Tunes
    Instrument (Harp): Carrying Out Emotions Into Music

Non-Skill Knowledge

Tune: Song of the Exile
    Uthaldria: Cultural Differences
    Uthaldria: Changes With the Seasons

Other

Loot: N/A
    Injuries/Overstepping: N/A
    Fame: +5 Busking (and doing well)
word count: 222
"At last. It has been too long since I have walked the face of this world. Too long have I been locked there, awaiting my champion to release me. My champion... This is you, daughter of Audrae. You have, whether knowingly or not, released me from my self imprisonment, and are here to fulfill the destiny I have seen written in the tapestry of nature. You, daughter of Audrae's daughter, will be my foothold in this world." - Belaera to The Nightingale, after the 600 arc imprisonment
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Uthaldria”