• Mature • Can You See Me Through Those Eyes

As one approaches the City of Nashaki, trains of caravans lead through the sprawling outskirts to the numerous open city gates. The largest gate is on the west side and leads past the fortified walls into an octagon of eight districts. Each district features unique markets and is maintained by one of the eight Towers that rule Nashaki. In the city, heavily guarded, is the prized oasis that supports the Nashaki people to flourish in such an unforgiving land.
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Can You See Me Through Those Eyes

5th Break
Ninth of Ymiden, Arc 720

Continued from Careful What You Wish For

The caravan was making decent time in their travel across the desert roads that stretched between Nashaki and the Crescent Sea Docks. Wagons, and horses, and carts, and beasts of burdens - all traveled in a long procession line of eager travelers who’d spent their trials resting in the main city and now returned out to wherever it was they would go after the docks. Of course, the sun would rise soon and the caravan leaders had went off the road to a dip between dunes where some large flat rocks provided shade. There was even a deeply dug well for water. Here, the caravan would rest during the brutal sunlight hours and as soon as night fell, they would begin again.

Ezili had walked on foot, despite the small dangers that lurked in the sands with tiny but angry snakes and bugs that didn’t appreciate those who disturbed them. All around, the droning hum of cicadas punctuated with the trill of crickets made a constant backdrop to the various noises of the caravan. Wheels creaked, and people muttered in lowly spoken conversations. An occasional boisterous laugh, or the whiney of a horse, or the shout of someone insulted broke through at times but then faded. Once the camp was set though, many of the travelers gathered around in a circle to practice and play various instruments. A couple minstrels were among them, eager to pluck at strings or blow into reeds in melodic tunes that especially entertained those children of the caravan.

They had an open cart, but no wagon, carried by a couple horses. The slaves had taken turns with sitting in the cart (which could fit up to four of them) or even laying down in the space between with a couple of woven blankets. There was, as Ezili had made sure when Saza had gone to acquire such supplies, a blanket for every individual in their group. All eight slaves, Saza Moshe, and herself; they kept close together but of them, Ezili didn’t once make use of the cart herself. As it was, she also didn’t make use of her blanket when instead, she had noticed a mother with a few too many children to wrangle to lay down on a mat too small for them all – and she’d offered her blanket instead with little ceremony about it.

They took a small spot under a flat rock for the shade it would provide and used the cart to keep their supplies covered. Ezili had settled to sit on a stone ridge that jutted out from the shadowy sands, her legs drawn under her thighs and crossed at the ankles. She stared ahead with an almost weary gaze, but it wasn’t exhaustion she felt but rather a relaxed alertness while she observed the caravan settle at the camp. After a spot of quiet, she gestured in a small wave for Saza to join her.

Leyliqe approached, however, with the young man who’d once been Palm but his actual name was Solihin. The two of them looked uncertain, but Leyliqe spoke with a steady voice, “Mistress, might we join the drum circle and dance?”

Ezili glanced across the camp to where the minstrels had gotten enough harmony to create music for others to dance to. She considered for a moment then said, “Yes, if it doesn’t tire you out for tomorrow’s walk. And don’t stray any farther than those rocks.”

Of course, she doubted Leyliqe had listened to anything past Yes… for how the slave girl’s eyes lit up. She watched while the girl grabbed onto Solihin’s hand and they ran off to join the minstrels. A few of the other slaves glanced over, including the two acrobats who had yet to speak in the slightest. Ezili looked back at them, then she nodded. They ran off to join as well.

Ezili patted the stone ridge, almost like a bench for how it could be used, in gesture for Saza to sit and she said, “Let me see your journal, Saza.”

She waited until she had it in hand, and flipped through the pages, with her blue eyes focused on the writing when she said in a quiet voice, “What questions do you have of me? You wish to be made aware, yes? Then tell me what sort of things you would like to be informed of… for there is much I could disclose to you, but all might not matter to you. Not in the way that you meant it.”
word count: 778
Please — consider me a dream.
Saza Moshe
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Secretaire
Renown: 65
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: Can You See Me Through Those Eyes

5th Break ‣ 9 Ymiden, 720

For as long as he could remember, Saza Moshe had liked music. It didn’t matter the instrument – though he had his favored sounds – and it didn’t matter why; it was something that he enjoyed any time he had the chance to hear it. From the low, staccato drums that passed by Leo’s shop in the afternoon, to the coordinated voices and lutes near the markets after dark, he appreciated the bending of sound to one’s musical will. Music had maintained a consistency in his life that little else had; friends came and went, and with them went their tents and stone houses, their cooked meals, their love and charity… but no matter where he laid his head to rest at the trial’s end, he could always hear the music in the distance.

He couldn’t think of a time when lying on the ground had bothered him. Dirt, sand, or stone – the last of which formed a makeshift pillow for his head, as well as a low-to-the-ground seat for an older lutist. The man sat on the other side of the flat rock, only a few inches from Saza’s head, but neither seemed to mind – or even notice – the close proximity. In fact, ever since they had met up with the caravan, the youth had seemed to move among them and converse quite easily, and though he didn’t seem all that interested in making friends with the other travelers, he didn’t appear to mind them either. He didn’t trust a single one of them (that much was clear from his notes), but his anxieties did not extend to such social interactions.

Saza exhaled through his nose, a soft sound that barely brushed his ears beneath the sound of a lute’s louder notes. His eyes were closed against the sun; his hands pulled together over his chest. The corner of his mouth pulled downward, briefly, with the plucking nearby of a string out of tune. He couldn’t have said what the note was, he couldn’t have even identified what was wrong with it if anyone had asked – but he could tell that it was wrong, and he remembered it even after the lutist’s deft fingers carried on, in quick continuance of the proper notes.

The lute was a beautiful instrument, he thought. At one point he’d even considered learning to play it himself, but he’d known all too soon that he wouldn’t have managed it long. Far too demanding of perfection in himself, Saza had known that it would only drive him mad, to try and master any instrument. He’d picked one up a handful of times… but it’d always been set down again, just as soon, or given back to the boy that’d offered it.

There was no blanket between his body and the sandy ground beneath, though his rested in a rolled-up bundle near the cart. Saza had considered offering it to Ezili, after he’d seen the woman gift hers to a mother and her children. Ezili had not needed to give hers away… it had been her own decision to do so, and not a very beneficial one, in Saza’s mind. He could see why she needed an assistant, if she was the sort to give things away without reason – the youth wasn’t heartless, and he could understand the drive to help another in need, but as of the previous trial… Ezili was his top priority.

Her comfort, her safety, her business, her peace of mind – whatever she found to be lacking, Saza had already decided that it was his responsibility to fix it. He was no handmaiden, no bodyguard, but he could certainly find those for her if she needed. When it came to giving away blankets, he would easily give up his own if it meant satisfying his new employer’s expectations. But Saza didn’t just want to meet whatever expectations Ezili might’ve had for him, no – he wanted to be the absolute best.

So when, upon opening his dark burgundy eyes and looking to Ezili, he saw the other biqaj wave him over… he sat up straight and began to push himself up. Leyliqe and Solihin approached the seated blonde before he could make his way over to her, but he simply took the time to dust himself off. Sand was brushed from his gray trousers, from the navy shirt left open at the top and tucked into them, from the bag at his side – and then a hand was pushed back through his dirty blond hair, and the curls frizzed ever more. He waited until the slaves had left his employer alone, and then he made his approach.

Ezili patted the stone ridge. Saza sat down beside her, legs crossed beneath him, and then reached into his bag. His leather-bound journal was retrieved and handed over. Golden eyes searched the other biqaj’s face for a moment, but then glanced away, to watch the gathering of slaves near the musicians.

He had started writing down everything that Ezili had asked of him. Starting with the trial before last, he had written down everything of note since meeting the mysterious Mistress Magpie – including the weather, even if he didn’t understand why she’d need it. The spider in the Tower of Flesh, the people within it, a list of slaves purchased; the trial before started with more detail, as he’d known what exactly Ezili was looking for… and the trend continued with the current trial. It was far from perfect, and Saza knew that better than most, but it was a start.

His legs were drawn up so that his knees nearly touched his chest, and he rested his arms over them, sleeves pushed up in a reveal of more tanned skin. There were plenty of freckles and moles, but nothing as interesting as the light that emanated from his employer’s fingertips.

Still observing the joyful crowd, Saza quietly hummed, and then said, “anything that’ll help me help you. Right?”

Saza wasn’t of the mind to interrogate her. He didn’t need to know everything, but he figured it would be rather beneficial to them both if he knew a lot. Ignoring the persistent nervousness that accompanied Ezili’s look into his journal, he offered, “I guess it depends on what all you’d like for me to do. If I’m just here to keep your records, or if you want me to do more. Do you have a schedule that you want me to maintain? Appointments to make, or take? Food preferences, religious biases, you know… how much do you want me to do?”

He supposed the better question might’ve been how much will you let me do, but he didn’t want to seem weird. Would it be weird? Saza didn’t think it was weird to want to have as many responsibilities as he could. He just wanted to make himself useful, and if he could help by streamlining as much of Ezili’s duties as possible, he’d consider himself on the right track.

“It would probably help to know more about your business,” he added, with a turn of his head to look at Ezili. A few curls fell away from where he’d tucked them behind his pointed ear, but he didn’t bother fixing them. “So… whatever you think would be useful, I’d like to know it.”
word count: 1271
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

6th Break
Ninth of Ymiden, Arc 720

Tidy. Attentive. Careful. The way that the T’s cut across, the way that the L’s were scratched while the R’s looked almost swooped in the meticulous notes. She could recognize where the cart had bumped, or where Saza had almost tripped, while writing on the hike over the desert roads. The little accidental scratches of misspelled words here and there, or of inaccurate numbers, or not quite right statements of observation. Through all of it, though, Ezili recognized something far more important than the technical aptitude of her new assistant… and that was Saza Moshe seemed to sincerely care about how well his notes were regarded by her. In every stroke of the graphite, or twist of a letter, she could see the honest determination to perform his unexpected duties the best he could. She had encountered go-getters before, ambitious sorts, and she wondered if Saza’s enthusiasm would persist or if – as the trials wore on, and as he learned more – his eagerness would wane and fade and then dissipate entirely like morning mist under a brilliantly hot sun.

She hoped not. It was still nice, to look over – if only in a glance – and see pointed ears, and silver dusted blood underneath the tan skin. Though his eyes remained gold and warm, the fact that other colors did appear and fade so similar to her own… she couldn’t help but feel an affinity for the other biqaj who she’d met only a trial ago. More so than she felt for most. Especially more than how she ever felt for humans, with exception to the very rare one or two and often requiring the surroundings of Emea.

Ezili continued to examine the journal while she listened to Saza’s response. She said nothing at first, not quick with a response of any sort. She flipped through the pages slowly, her fingertips grazed over the writing with care to not smudge any of it. The blonde kept her expression purposefully neutral while she did so. Her eyes held the lighter colors of ocean blue in the irises.

She lifted her gaze eventually when she heard the last of the string of questions, but she didn’t look at him yet. Instead, she watched the slaves. Leyliqe danced and clearly tried to teach Solihin to do the same. The palm-holding slave seemed frustrated by the whole ordeal, yet he kept trying. The acrobat pair (Flea and Tick, or their actual names of Bilise and Gareng respectively) stretched and flexed and performed in a way that quickly gathered a handful of intrigued children to clap.

“It would probably help to know more about your business,” added Saza. “So… whatever you think would be useful, I’d like to know it.”

Her gaze slid over to Saza, then she turned her head to follow the direction. Ezili considered, then she moved her body slightly to also pivot and face the curly-haired biqaj. She set the journal, open in her lap, with a hand gently set to hold it there. A smile showed in her eyes, the way they softened, but it didn’t make its way onto her actual lips. The young woman responded, “There will be no schedule for you, not yet anyhow. I require adaptability from you over anything else. When we return to settle in residence, there may be a few things of which will be scheduled, but… they are liable to change inevitably.”

“You need not worry about appointments until then, as well, though I would prefer if you find someone capable of doing such busy work for you so that your time might be better spent on other things.” Her index finger tapped against the journal page. She continued; her voice steady though quiet to not easily be overheard. “My food preferences are little to none. In that, I prefer not to eat. I prefer not to drink. When I do, I enjoy simple things that are well-made rather than complex dishes. I like tea, with cream and sometimes sugar. I like mushrooms, of all kinds. I do not like oats. If you ever aim to serve me food, please never serve me porridge or anything like it.”

“I prefer not to eat anything outside of my own residence, though,” she added. “It is far too easy to sedate and drug and poison when one is not aware of their own food stores… even then, it is a risk. As such, I prefer to watch food preparation from start to finish when I do desire to truly eat beyond a few bites.”

“Now, religious bias…” she said with a glance back toward the frivolity occurring opposite the caravan camp. “…we’ll discuss that another time. It is a bit complex and would do better with aids for explanation purposes.”

“How much I want you to do… is however much you can handle,” she turned her gaze back, then shut the journal and handed it for Saza to take back. “This does for now. If you ever require a rest, or a few trials to yourself, simply request it of me and it is likely I shall grant it. If you discover certain tasks that you especially feel drawn toward, then request that of me as well. It is far more important to me that you are able to cultivate your talents under my employ than having you like some sort of slave at my side.”

“As for the business…” Ezili glanced up at the sky past the edges of the flat rocks. There were still some stars, but not many as the sky lightened in the approach of dawn. She pointed up toward a cluster of stars. As all biqaj could with the eyes gifted to them by U’frek, she recognized it as a particular constellation; though she knew not what it represented to someone from Nashaki so she simply said, “…Curious Constellations. It is a business unlike any other.”

“When I set out to establish Curious, I thought of only one thing…” she admitted while she kept her gaze on the stars above. The blue had turned to white in the irises of her eyes, and they glinted with the hint of color behind them like a rainbow hidden in pale rainclouds after a Ymiden shower. “…to help Idalos.”

“Help those within this world, however they needed help. To provide aid and assistance when no others would. To offer shelter to those scorned and a friend to those who are alone,” she traced the lines of the fading constellation in the sky with her fingertip. “What Curious Constellations is… what it will become… it shall be invaluable to many people. The course of entire lives for generations will be changed because of what we do. Through our work, employees like you and our clients, the world of Idalos will strengthen to something far greater than it would have been without Curious Constellations.”

She lowered her hand, but her gaze remained on the sky. “…And of course, at the shop, we also offer a wonderful selection of antiques from around the world.”

A smile curled on her lips. Ezili glanced at Saza, though tried to give him some space to process all that she’d just shared. After a trill, she said, “I believe you will fit quite well, and I will introduce you to the oth-”

Then Ezili stopped talking. All of a sudden, and without any perceivable change as to have caused the interruption. She looked away from Saza. Her legs slowly stretched out, then she stood from the rock and glanced around. The white iridescence of her eyes warmed, warmed… to a red. Sand drifted over the top of the flat rocks. She looked up to them, then at the slopes of the dunes that circled the space of the camp.

“Get your things and rouse the others,” she said in a low voice that beckoned no questions about it. She pulled her gloves back on, to cover her hands, and then started across in wide strides of her lean legs to reach the minstrels and where the wayward slaves had gone. Something wasn’t right… something was moving across the nearby sands… fast but near-silent… she could recognize it in the way the grains of sands vibrated and a low rumble that hid underneath the sound of desert winds, caravan music, and chatter.

A thin, narrow shadow cut across the brightening light of dawn. Ezili saw it cross over the sands, and she turned to look in the direction that the arrow had come from. The arrow landed in the canopy of a tent, not harming anyone but alerting a group as it stabbed through the tarp. She heard a shout and watched as a volley of four more arrows came from beyond a flat rock.

Another shout from someone, this time of a declared: Bandits!

It was a fair guess. This time, one of the arrows had landed in someone. Whoever the mark, they cried from the pain of it. Ezili didn’t turn to look though. Her gaze fixed on the rocks above, while more arrows came from a different direction. Multiple archers, multiple groups of them, they had set up positions first before the ambush. This time, though, the volley of arrows had fire attached to the heads. The flames instantly took to the rising heat of the morning and warmed the camp with flames that spread over the covering of a wagon.

Ezili swore under her breath, then looked for the slaves. “Leyliqe, Solihin! With me!”

She darted over to the cart, and as she passed by Saza, she slapped him on the shoulder to get his attention. “Help me,” she told him while she went to the horses to make sure their ropes weren’t attached to the cart post. The blonde worked quick, with deft fingers.

Chaos broke out as the caravan scattered from the flames and the arrows. The slaves who had gone away to dance ran across the camp to reach the rest of the group, but to do so was to run in the open air. An arrow landed in the backside of one of the mute acrobats – Flea, or Bilise - and for the first time, the slave proved to have a voice in an actual shout that escaped. The shaft of the arrow stuck out. They stumbled, and the other acrobat – Tick, or Gareng - hurried to help.

Merda,” swore Ezili. She yelled over the escalating din of noises, at the slaves that had stopped to look at the arrow. “Get out from the center!”

Eyes of pure red, she pulled off one of her gloves and then pulled the ring of paradigm off her finger and threw it into her satchel. She looked at Saza while the air seemed to crackle around her. The biqaj asked, voice pitched to be heard, “Do you know how to handle a horse? Better learn quick!”

The chiffon-like scarves of Ezili’s dress swept past her legs as she lifted in a graceful swing of her body and onto the saddleless horse. Her legs were not like before, however, not the pale cream of soft skin but glittered as if sculpted from quartz crystals No time to put reins on, she wrapped the horse’s dark mane around her fingers and tapped her sandaled heel to the side to guide it away. Above her braided hair, a thin ring of light burst into a halo above her head.

The horse swiftly galloped toward the estranged slaves, and she grabbed onto the wounded acrobat’s arm. With a hoist helped by Gareng, she lifted Bilise to lay over her lap, and then rounded to try and figure out which way to go. People had already started to hike up the slopes, only to be greeted by swordsmen covered in wrapped layers meant to block out the heat. The attackers were prepared for a fight in the sun… Ezili tried to count how many there were, but it was difficult from the lower vantage point.

Not all the caravan was helpless though. The leader had taken a fight to the eastern ridge, with a group of others with weapons at the ready. To the west, the vulnerable of the caravan fled away from the fighting – and Ezili briefly recognized the mother trying to get her many children up the sandy dune. She rounded the horse back to Saza and the other four slaves and said, “Leave the cart, and supplies. We cannot lose any of our group…” never mind the hardly breathing slave across her lap.

A horn blasted across the sands, a signal that cut through the frantic symphony of confusion. The arrows stopped, but the fighting had not. Ezili glanced toward the western direction again, where she heard anguished wails start to rise. Of course… of course there were attackers on that side too… but how many? The fire spread to a pair of wagons, though, and some abandoned mules brayed to be freed from their posts.

“Saza!” she said his name with a bit more snap as she wanted to get his complete attention. Her eyes no longer had irises of red… the entire shape of her eyes had become consumed with the colors in a wash of vivid scarlet that drowned out even the pupils that had once been there. “Take Bilise! Don’t remove the arrow.”

Ezili did snap the shaft though, so it was less stuck out, and then she rode her horse closer. With the help of Gareng, she tried to transfer the injured woman over to Saza and onto the back of the other horse. As soon as the transfer finished, she dismounted her own horse and handed it over to Gareng.

She reached into her satchel and a small stone figurine of a horse sculpture was taken out. Ezili threw it into an empty space of sand. Within a burst, the figurine grew into the actual proportions of a light-weight horse made of white granite rather than actual flesh. With a stretch of its neck, it knocked its hooves against the sand – independently alive despite formed of stone. Ezili lifted onto the mount, and glimmered shapes started to form along her back – though of what, it wasn’t obvious yet.

From the satchel, next, she drew a short sword that glinted with silver metal. She told Saza, “Keep the group together. Help those left behind and stay hidden from the open air. I will find which way is best!”

With the instruction, Ezili rode toward the eastern ridge and left Saza alone with the eight slaves in the quickly burning camp.
word count: 2470
Saza Moshe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

6th Break ‣ 9 Ymiden, 720

Ezili seemed pleased with him. Saza wasn’t all that sure of why. He’d done little to deserve the softening of her ocean blue gaze; he figured it meant that his notes were, at the very least, adequate for whatever she’d needed them for. Adequate was only half the battle though, and Saza never wanted to settle for just being good enough when he could still work harder. His eyes fell to the journal set over Ezili’s lap, though they lifted back to her face before long, reflecting a mirrored blue. He couldn’t help but wonder if the shade held meaning or if, like him, her eyes were simply blue beneath the depths of emotional change.

As she began to speak, offering detailed explanations and answers for his many questions, Saza leaned his head forward to rest against his knees. No schedules yet… which was fine with him. He was perfectly happy to learn and improve on his current duties before more were added to his plate, even if did wish for more in the future. The idea of getting someone else to do such tasks for him had not even occurred to him, but he supposed that was something he would have to think about more seriously in Viden. If Ezili wanted him to remain available for other work rather than spend the time on schedules and appointments – well, he didn’t see why he couldn’t do both, but he wasn’t about to argue.

He quickly took note, in his mind, of Ezili’s various preferences. Her food preferences were little to none, something he might’ve been concerned about if he wasn’t offered a reasonable explanation immediately after. Saza hadn’t ever worried about those things, himself… he’d never had much of a reason. He wasn’t picky; he ate what he had to, and he preferred for things to have as little fuss as possible. Simplicity was favored by the young assistant, and though it shouldn’t have really mattered to him, he was pleased to hear the same from his new employer. He’d found so little in common between himself and the mysterious woman, besides their obvious racial heritage.

She liked tea with cream, and sometimes sugar; she liked mushrooms of all kinds but never wanted oats. Saza didn’t think he’d ever even tried oats, or porridge, whatever that was – but he’d make sure that Ezili never got any of it, if he could help it. He doubted he’d ever need the information for such casual reasons as serving her himself (he definitely couldn’t cook, and didn’t entertain the idea of her wanting to see him much outside of professional settings), but he would keep it in mind, for any possible arrangements he might need to make later on.

The avoidance of religious matters didn’t strike him as all that odd, but the way she said it – the mention of needing aids for explanation – certainly did. He let it pass without comment, and lifted his head, reaching to accept his journal when it was handed back over. Ezili was kind, to be talking of rests and trials taken off already; Saza didn’t mention that it wouldn’t be needed. Nothing was scarier, to him, than the thought of taking time off of work – what would he even do? He couldn’t think of a trial in his life that hadn’t been devoted somehow to the betterment of his work, whatever work that may be. Besides – once they settled in Viden, it wasn’t as if he’d have anyone he knew to do anything else with.

His journal was tucked safely away in the bag slung over his shoulder. It was only a few trills afterwards that his gaze was directed to the sky, to the stars faintly glowing above. Ezili’s intention was at first lost to him; her business related to the stars? The sky? But as soon as she reminded him of the name, it all made a little more sense. His eyes drifted down to her face, over the high cheekbones and the subtle silver shimmer underneath, the oddly iridescent gaze, and then darted upwards again to the sky.

It wasn’t what he had been expecting. If he’d expected anything at all, he didn’t know… but the philanthropic nature of her response brought his gaze back down from the stars. Even as Ezili traced the constellations, Saza was far more interested in looking at her, and he didn’t know whether to feel relieved or confused. Such was the way of his life… but this was new. It sounded like the sort of business he would’ve liked to know about before; it sounded far too idealistic. Not everyone in need could be helped… and the mere act of trying wasn’t often a profitable one. But it was one that he supposed he knew well, and that he would have appreciated in his own life.

And though it sounded far too optimistic to succeed… Ezili did a good job in making him believe in it.

Her graceful hand was lowered from its observations of the sky. Saza didn’t bother to look away from her when she turned her gaze to him, and even smiled (however small), as she finished with a statement about antiques. He gave another nod, and finally glanced away to watch the slaves in their attempted dances. He wasn’t afraid of not fitting with the business; he figured he could mold himself well enough to whatever he needed to, but the sentiment was a kind one.

“To…” Ezili’s voice had cut off so suddenly. He didn’t think much of it until she stretched out her legs and stood.

Dark brows furrowed, Saza’s gaze followed hers… but he still couldn’t tell what’d bothered her so much. He started to stand up himself, careful to go slow with his leg (he knew not to sit like that, it was his own fault), and shadowed his eyes with his hand to get a better look across the dunes.

“Get your things and rouse the others.”

The instruction earned a questioning glance from Saza, but the other biqaj was moving then, pulling on her gloves and moving towards the center of the makeshift camp. That meant there was no time for his curiosities… he began to follow after her, unaware still of whatever had caused the abrupt shift –

– until an arrow, followed by four more, flew through their camp to land in the pulled material of someone’s tent. Not only in the tent though, as Saza realized when he heard the shouts that ensued. Standing around and staring wouldn’t do him any good – he didn’t run, his leg would have protested too soon, but he picked up a swift pace to descend the rocky ridge. Ezili passed him by with a slap to his shoulder, and the assistant’s eyes shifted yellow as he moved to follow her.

His hands were clumsy on the ropes, delayed by his surprise, but the knots were loosened and pulled free. The horse lifted its head with a startled whiney, and Saza made a quiet shushing sound, raising one of his hands to try and calm it.

“Merda,” came from beside him, and it was only then that the younger biqaj turned his head. Near the center of camp, the slaves had started to panic. They scattered about the open ground and came together to look at the fallen acrobat, an arrow having struck her from afar.

“Do you know how to handle a horse?”

That wasn’t something he wanted to hear.

“Better learn quick!”

And just like that, Ezili pulled herself atop the other horse. The air around her was tense with tangible energy, but nothing was stranger than the sudden transformation of her legs. Saza’s wide-eyed gaze lingered on the lower limbs for only a trill before he reminded himself to move. Now was not the time for staring.

Nervous and clearly unsure, but without any time to do otherwise, Saza climbed onto the horse. His leg objected to the movement as it was swung over the other side, and he wavered where he sat atop the beast, but his hands held tight to its mane. He couldn’t help but wonder if the horse really appreciated having its hair pulled like that – but he couldn’t concern himself with that when Ezili needed his help. With a slight grimace, he kicked his ankles against the horse’s sides.

It moved with a start, galloping forward before coming to a sudden stop. He held on tightly as he was knocked forward against its neck, and then back again. It began to rear up, and Saza leaned forward defensively with a shocked shout – it was enough to get the damned horse to stop, but how he was going to control it well enough to move around effectively, he didn’t know. What if his horse was hit with an arrow? What if his horse caught on fire? What if he caught on fire because his petulant horse made him an easy target?

All things that went through Saza’s racing mind then, but that he didn’t have the time to let himself focus on. Ezili had made it to the fallen acrobat and lifted her to lie over her lap; Saza did his best to steer the horse in her direction. It worked, though the animal shook its head and huffed, as if the biqaj was some sort of pest it wished to shake away. His legs held tighter to the body of the horse, and his hands held tighter to the mane, and he made it closer to Ezili without falling off. That was all he could really ask for.

Leave the cart, she said, but Saza couldn’t figure how the group was meant to sustain themselves without the supplies. Still, he didn’t object, and gave a quick nod of understanding before he pulled at the horse’s mane to try and get closer to his employer. He reached out to assist in the transfer of the injured slave as best as he could (were Ezili’s eyes red? Like completely red?) and then grabbed to the mane with one hand again, while the other moved back to hold onto Bilise. Wouldn’t do any good to have her fall off the horse, he thought.

Ezili dismounted and switched places with the other, able acrobat. Saza kept moving while she did, letting his horse step just enough not to be standing there a still target. He glanced to Gareng, his gaze a (much less intense) mirror of his employer’s red eyes. The other biqaj threw something down onto the sand. Saza didn’t see what, but it grew until he did.

It was a… horse? Was that a horse? Did Ezili have a halo over her head that he hadn’t even noticed? Was the air behind her crackling again with some unseen force? Was this some elaborate dream?

Saza took a deep breath. Calm, he told himself, he was calm.

It was just some bandits. Raiders. Attackers. Whatever the hell they were. There were fires, and injuries, but he could do this. He wouldn’t panic. A sword was drawn from that impossible satchel of Ezili’s, glinting in the light of the rising sun, but he wouldn’t panic. Red eyes focused on her, waiting for instruction… but when it came, he only frowned.

“Uh–”

She took off after that, her strange stone horse galloping towards the eastern ridge. Saza glanced back to the slaves left behind and swallowed against a dry throat.

“Follow me,” Saza nodded to Gareng and steered towards the rocky ridgeline he’d sat upon with Ezili. “Solihin, with him – you, come on,” he reached down in offering of his hand to one of the smaller slaves. She grabbed onto his wrist and allowed him to pull her up, so that she sat behind him on the horse and held the injured Bilise over her lap. Solihin did the same on the other horse, and Saza kicked his ankles.

The horses took off towards the ridgeline, with the rest of the slaves following behind. They were a little slow – it worried him, but he didn’t know what else to do. Saza and Gareng went over the rocky line first. The horses slowed as the sand sloped downwards, and the biqaj turned, eyes peering out across the surrounding area. The slaves filtered over the rocky curve and quickly got down, hiding behind the ridge and huddling close together. There were fights breaking out nearby – Saza took victory where he could find it, and looked again to Gareng.

“Wait,” he heard from behind him, “where did–”

Leyliqe wasn’t with them. His victory was short-lived.

“Get off,” he reached back to pat against the slave’s leg, “give her to him. All of you, stay here. Mistress Magpie will be back soon.”

Could they hear the strain in his voice? Gods, trying to sound authoritative and reassuring wasn’t his thing. The girl hopped down, and Solihin did the same, to walk closer and help her move Bilise. The acrobat shouted again with the movement.

“Careful,” Saza frowned, and repeated, “stay here. Stay together. I’ll be right back.”

Pulling at the dark mane to turn the beast back around, Saza went back over the ridgeline. The missing slave wasn’t far – but she was on the ground, ankle twisted, backing quickly away from a daring bandit. “Great,” muttered the assistant, and he reached into his bag.

A knife was retrieved, and Saza took another deep breath, holding the sharp end of the blade in his fingers… and a straight snap of his arm, it cut through the air. The motion was enough to startle his horse, who lifted its front feet and whinied in protest, and he leaned forward to hold tighter to the beast.

The blade didn’t quite reach its target – but it was close enough, all things considered. It flew past and nicked the lone assailant’s forearm, causing the man to jerk back, and Saza took his chance to come closer. Horse returned to a quick gallop, he shouted for the slave girl’s attention.

Leyliqe pulled herself up as much as she could, shaking and clumsy with fear. She reached up as the horse drew near, and Saza reached down to grab her. The girl was pulled onto the horse’s back… and the boy was pulled straight off.

“Hey!” exclaimed Saza, as he fell to the ground beside the horse’s feet. The bandit with the nicked arm swung at him before he’d even had the chance to register that he’d pulled him off. He rolled away from it, and shouted to Leyliqe, “go – get to the others.”

The decision wasn’t up to her, in the end, as the horse took off towards the ridgeline when it was spooked by the bandit’s next swing. Saza cursed as he felt the air cut against his face, his cheek narrowly missed by the blade. His hand reached into his bag again as he made to stand – and his legs didn’t quite agree with the latter, but another knife was produced, and slashed against the empty air. The bandit stepped back and away from it, and Saza tried again to stand.

He stumbled a bit to the side, and was narrowly missed yet again by the insistent attacker’s blade, but really, had he expected anything else?
word count: 2641
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

6th Break
Ninth of Ymiden, Arc 720

Ezili didn’t have the luxury to look back. With the hard granite against her thighs, she kept herself lifted on the bare spine of the stone horse. She kept herself up by the thighs, so that she wasn’t seated on the potentially painful bounce while she guided the mount to gallop fast over the dunes. Sand kicked up from the lightweight steed’s hooves, a trail of rapid scuffs in the sand.

Dawn’s light poured over the eastern horizon, and the hazy sky burned in vibrant warm colors. Sword in hand, she tightened her grip on the handle, and sped toward the chaotic skirmish between the protectors of the caravan and the ambushers.

The ambushers wore coverings that hid most of their faces from view. All manner of weapons held by the individuals that sparred and sought to kill or maim or... it was difficult to tell the true aim through the confusion. Blood spilled across the eastern dune. Bodies felled. The sand quickly moved to cover the carnage from the sun’s light as a wind picked up across the flat of the hot lands.

Mercenaries? They weren’t soldiers, in the way that Ezili understood soldiers to be. There was no relation between the weapons used. She saw spears and swords and axes and more, all mix-and-matched on both sides. No uniforms either. And from what she could see, there was little strategy but the barest simplicity of Spread out, ambush, and conquer.

It was difficult to tell the caravan members from the ambushers, too. Most of the caravan didn’t have time to put wraps around their faces though. Ezili used that as the main distinguishing factor. She recognized an older man who looked as if he’d gotten slashed in the leg, yet still fought. There was no doubt that he was part of the caravan. So, she guided the horse’s rapid gallop in that direction.

On the western side of the dunes, she could hear the screams and wails of the corresponding attack. She could not waste time here, and the sooner she got those with weapons away from the skirmish and to the west side, the better.

Wings spread out, halo bright, she heard shouts while she broke apart the skirmish. The stone horse barreled through and both sides quickly retreated to avoid the possibility of being trampled.

Ezili’s sword slid through the shoulder of an ambusher, who held a sword up to cut away at the wounded man. The red blood splattered onto the caravan member, who easily parried the distracted strike while the ambusher twisted to figure out what had happened. The biqaj slid the sword out, then slashed across the back and watched as the ambusher fell into the sand. Their body twitched. She didn’t wait to observe any further than that.

Horse turned around, she galloped through and broke apart the skirmish. Her sword swung without hesitation, though she took care for those who appeared to be part of the ambushing party. If she accidentally struck a caravan member though… she did not worry so much about the possibility.

“Those on the west side require aid,” she called. It wasn’t a shout, but her voice carried all the same. The wind picked up slightly, drowning out part of what could have been construed as a command. Regardless, those who still could fight took heed and started on paths to help the fleeing vulnerable families that had scattered in desperate attempts to get away from the ambushers.

Eyes to the brim of ice-blue tinted ether, the mage headed back to where she’d left her own party. Her sword dripped with fresh red blood. For all those she struck, though many remained motionless against the ground, Ezili knew they were not dead. For it was impossible to kill with the sword she wielded… though not impossible to paralyze or maim.

She was not gone for very long, actions swift and pressured by emergency. Her weight leaned forward as she encouraged the magically driven horse to gallop faster. For she recognized the frizzy curls of her newest assistant, and damn if she didn’t want to lose him already.

Ezili did not waste much time, however, to figure out what was going on. The horse sped over the dune, barreled toward the bandit, and her sword lopped the attacker’s arm off at the elbow when he went to strike at Saza once again. It would be the last time, as the dismembered limb fell with sword still clutched in the separated hand. The sword almost seemed to glow red-hot as it reflected the ruddy morning light. Ezili’s halo brightened above her head.

She looked at Saza and said, “We need to leave here. These are mercs not bandi-”

Her sentence cut short. The blue of her eyes flashed red.

She knew something was coming, but it didn’t matter. It was already too late. Through thin air, out of nowhere, a rock streaked across in a blur of sandstone and glanced across the back of Ezili’s head.

The slender biqaj toppled off the stone horse from the impact. She fell to the sand, face-first, but somehow managed to catch her weight at the elbows and knees. Her sword abandoned beside her as she’d tossed it aside to avoid any accidental stabs or slices. Ezili blinked a few times, scarlet-red eyes bright with an ethereal glow that gathered around the lashes. Her breath turned heavy –

-then she stood. As if she hadn’t gotten hit at all. She almost leapt to her feet for how quick she was about it. Ezili turned around, in search of where the rock had come from. She gritted her teeth, the ether that hovered around her shoulder blades lengthening into the shape of insectile wings. From where the rock had smacked across the back of her head, silver blood soaked through the fair blond strands. The metallic sheen gushed over her neck and didn’t stop as it fled from the cut in her scalp.

“Coward!” she called out to the unseen attacker. This time she did shout, so she could be heard over the increasingly powerful winds and the sounds of metal on metal and screams from the western skirmish. “Try that again! Eu vou te açoitar, ilho da puta!”

She looked at Saza then and snapped, “Where are the slaves? Here-”

Ezili removed a rolled-up map from the satchel on her side, then tossed it over for Saza to take. She grabbed her sword, lifted herself back up onto the stone horse, and instructed. “Find the nearest X marked on there to the circle. Hurry up-”

The biqaj held out her free hand to have Saza join her on the horse – so that he would be seated behind her. It would be uncomfortable but then, so would remaining behind and getting stabbed or taken to be sold into slavery. She suspected the latter would be far more uncomfortable.
word count: 1189
Saza Moshe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Well he was royally fucked now, wasn’t he?

Saza managed to stand, but not for all that long before a too-close swing of the bandit’s blade knocked him off balance again. His ankle rolled beneath him and the biqaj fell with an ungraceful oomph. His only saving grace was perhaps the fact that, with the impact of his slender body against the ground, a bit of sand was sent up into the air. It dusted his attacker’s face and caused a heavy cough to erupt from within his chest – and more importantly, it shut his beady eyes against the grainy puff of sand.

“Shit, shit, shit,” Saza moved forward onto his hands and knees. He tried to crawl to the side and get away from the directionless, angered swings of the sword, but he didn’t want to risk being stabbed in the back, and if he crawled backwards, who was to say he wouldn’t get stabbed in the front? So the frizzy-haired youth did the only thing he could do. He crawled forward, slipping underneath the bandit’s legs and only moving to stand once he had made it out behind him.

Knife still gripped in his hand, Saza pivoted with a quick turn of his feet so that he faced the back of the blinded bandit. He could run now, couldn’t he? Did he really have to take this guy down just to justify his getting away? The blade was held raised at his side, ready to be used in case the man turned around – but when he did, Saza hesitated.

The man was disadvantaged. He held a sword far larger than the knife in Saza’s hand, but he was slashing blindly, afraid for his life now that the tables had turned. There was no way for the man to know that the young biqaj didn’t want to kill him, that he didn’t even want to hurt him at all, given the chance. He might have been the first to strike, but why had he done so? Had it been any choice of his own, or was he merely following orders? All questions that plagued Saza’s mind in the quickly-passing trills as he stared, wide-eyed, at the bandit.

Sssslumph!

A sword slashed over the bandit’s arm. No, not over it – through it.

Saza’s gasp was sharp and sudden. His eyes were darkened with clouds of purplish-red, wider now than even before. “G- uh–”

Severed at the elbow, the bandit’s forearm fell hard to the ground, and the man screamed in pain. Ezili had saved him by damning this man. Saza’s breath quickened as he stared at him, and watched him fall down and writhe, and shout for his poor severed limb. He’d never seen a bone sticking out like that before. He had not even looked to Ezili yet, sitting atop her pale stone horse, though he knew the woman required his attention. She had saved him, after all. He reminded himself of that, and repeated it over again in his head.

“We need to leave here. These are mercs not bandi-”

Something hit the back of Ezili’s head and knocked her off the horse. Startled into action, Saza left the bandit alone to his agony and rushed forward towards the other biqaj. Before he could even reach her, Ezili had pulled herself to her feet, as if the blow to her head (and the silver blood that gushed outwards from it) hadn’t bothered her at all. The curly-haired assistant stepped back in his surprise, and watched with a bright yellow gaze as… wings… materialized themselves at his new employer’s back. Wings – wings? Wings?! What the fuck was she, with a glowing halo over her head, legs of… of something, wings at her back – Saza’s mind was slow to catch up with the reality his eyes were seeing.

Was she… a mage?

He swallowed the nervous lump in his throat. Ezili shouted something across the chaotic, crowded dunes and he didn’t recognize the words. As soft as the sounds themselves were, they snapped over the fighting with a shout. Not Common… not Rakahi… not Ith’ession.

“Where are the slaves?”

Ezili needed him to focus. Saza pulled in a quick, shaking breath and steeled himself. Whatever the pale biqaj was, it didn’t matter right now. He was her assistant first… and his morals came second to his duty.

“Here-”

Saza caught the map when it was thrown to him. His hands shook as he looked down to it and unrolled it. His frizzy hair moved with the rapid nodding of his head, as he focused on Ezili’s instruction rather than the chaos all around them. Find the nearest X… but she had also asked him about the slaves, and he hadn’t even answered her yet, and – how was he supposed to think when the bandit was still screaming in pain?

He was grateful for the movement when Ezili mounted the stone horse again, for it distracted him temporarily from the sounds. Saza took her hand without a second thought and pulled himself up onto the horse’s hard back. He grimaced, but didn’t complain, and slipped his arm around Ezili’s slender waist to keep himself from falling off. His other hand held up the map, and red eyes scanned over the circle before settling on the nearest X.

“The slaves are on the other side of the ridge,” he did his best to keep his voice steady. His accent was thicker as the words tumbled out. He motioned with the map to the aforementioned ridge.

“I – I found the X, it’s to the…” left of them… W… which was… “west. I think.”
word count: 980
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

6th Break
Ninth of Ymiden, Arc 720

The fire had spread through the caravan. Wagons and tents engulfed in flames that quickly danced to the next target with help from the winds, which picked up over the hot lands. The sky had lightened into a cerulean blue, the sun continuing its gradual ascent into day.

Ezili felt light-headed. It likely had something to do with the gash that still bled in the back of her skull where the rock had glanced over it. Her shoulders felt wet, and the silver blood trickled down along her spine. She waited until she felt the arm slip around her waist, her muscles tight and active while the adrenaline of battle coursed through her.

She ignored the wailing attacker who still scrambled in the sand to find the arm that’d gotten lopped off. As if putting it to the elbow joint would stick it back on. Instead, Ezili turned the horse’s direction and they headed for the ridge.

Eight slaves. Two horses. It wasn’t enough. They needed another couple of horses… but the caravan burned around them, and what horses had been there, were already gone – either taken or ran off on their own. She did not, however, wish to leave the other biqaj alone again.

“West?” she glanced over her shoulder to confirm. The blonde focused, and the red of her eyes returned to ice-blue. She looked over to see how the skirmish panned out. From what she could see in the near distance was that it didn’t look good… not good at all…

She galloped over the ridge, the stone horse crushing the rock underneath its powerful hooves. Ezili looked down at the slaves, and considered them, then said, “Two each on the horses. The other four of you, follow as you can – we will acquire mounts for you.”

“I don’t know how to ride,” cried one of the younger slaves, who seemed to be struggling as tears streaked his ruddy face.

“You will ride,” said Ezili in a firm voice. “Or you will be left to die. Now, follow but keep to the side and don’t ride into the battle. Stay out of arrow’s range. We will come to you.”

She turned the granite horse back around and readied her sword. With a deep breath, she told Saza in a quieter voice, “Put the map in my satchel… and then hold on tight.”

With the warning, she lifted from the seat again by use of her thighs. The magical horse broke apart rock as it galloped down the ridge and headed for the western dunes where all the fighting had gathered into one spot.

As they got closer in approach of the fight (or what appeared to be a slaughter), a few arrows streaked past. Ezili ducked and she dodged, her body quick enough to lean Saza with her. As long as he kept hold and followed, he would also evade the arrows.

Closer… and the arrows became more. They went for the horse, this time. However, the shafts broke on impact. The arrowheads bounced off the granite without the slightest harm to the creature. Instead, the horse sprinted faster.

Horses, they needed horses. Ezili scanned and saw that a few people were skirmishing with mounts too. Whether they’d gotten on the horses in the hope to flee, or were trying to steal them also, she didn’t know. It didn’t matter either. The biqaj guided that way, and as they parted the battle in a rush of hooves, her sword swung. Haphazard brutal slashes cut down those clothed in the attire meant for the day’s sun.

Her blond hair had come out of the tight braids, though. The pale strands whipped around in the strong winds. The blood had slowed but kept a slight streak of blood that trickled down her spine and past into her dress. At her back, the gossamer wings that continued to strengthen into existence with each trill, went right through Saza and left him with a chilly feeling like ice water fluttered through his arms.

Ezili rode close toward one of the mounted mercenaries. Her sword went down, as if to aim for the horse’s legs. The merc started to round the creature to attempt to avoid such a defeating strike to the living mount.

At the last trill, her sword changed position and direction. Instead of a sweep or slash, she pointed it outward in a violent reach that stabbed through the merc’s stomach. She pulled back, then shoved the man right off the saddle. She took the reins of the horse before it ran off. The beast tried, though, causing them to circle a couple times as she determinedly held on. Once the horse settled, as much as it would, she forced the reins into Saza’s hand.

“Let go of me,” she commanded him, then said, “Take the horse to the slaves and get farther to the west.” – which the slaves were not far, but distanced enough to be ignored by those busy with the skirmish.

“I’ll get the last one,” she shortly explained as she slid off the granite horse and landed onto her feet. The chiffon-like scarves of her dress whipped around her crystalline legs as much as her hair came loose and wild in the strong desert wind. A surge of ether spiked through the mage, though not purposefully, and it brightened her halo in a sudden flash of light.

For a brief trill, the skirmish even paused. All had seen the flash of light. All had stopped what they were doing, even amid killing or maiming one another, to look right at the source of it.

Someone shouted from the near distance, accompanied by a clang of metal, “Mage!”

Ezili glanced at Saza and told him, “Go.”

From the garter holster on her thigh, she withdrew a knife and tossed it at one of the mesmerized mercenaries on a horse. It bounced off, cut away at his tunic to reveal a vest of chainmail underneath. Ezili readied her sword.

Many of the caravan had taken the distraction to flee farther… and the mercenaries had turned their attention to the dangerous variable on the battlefield. No one wanted to fight a caster, especially not one that had so many obvious signs of ethereal power that manifested around them.
word count: 1075
Saza Moshe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

“West?”

“West,” Saza said again, and this time he sounded certain. As… certain as he could be, riding on the back of a stone horse and holding onto a woman with a halo and wings.

He did his best not to look at the carnage around them. While Ezili turned the horse around and headed for the ridgeline, the youth held onto the map like a lifeline, and hugged the other blonde’s slender waist despite the odd, chilling feeling that cut through his chest and arms while he did. How those fucking wings of hers managed to materialize out of thin air, he stil didn’t know, and he really didn’t want to know either.

If it was magic – good. Good, good. He definitely wasn’t afraid of that at all, and definitely wasn’t trying to convince himself that it wouldn’t somehow rub off on him and infect his soul. Magic couldn’t do that, could it?

The slaves were – understandably – scared as he and Ezili rounded the ridge to rejoin them. There weren’t enough horses for all of them; he might’ve been slow in his counting, but he saw enough of them to know that much. If they didn’t want to overload the horses that they had and risk losing more, only two slaves could fit on one horse – which meant they needed two more. He let his pale companion sort that out, and kept quiet behind her until she turned the stone horse around.

“Put the - yes,” Saza nodded rapidly and did as instructed, slipping the map back into Ezili’s satchel. Hands free, he held onto her with both arms, and his bright, crimson eyes opened wide as she lifted with her legs. “Ohshitohff-uh–”

The hard, stone horse took off, tearing away from the rocky ridgeline and straight towards the… center of the conflict. Saza swallowed what he could of his anxiety and held on tight. Arrows flew by, unrelenting and fast, but Ezili was faster. The curly-haired biqaj was endlessly grateful for that, as he was certain he would’ve died about a thousand times over, if he had been out there by himself.

Even as they galloped closer to the skirmishing and broke it apart, Saza kept himself partially hidden behind his new employer – if he had ever been shy about being so close to the beautiful blonde, any bashfulness would’ve left him then, as he held dutifully and closely enough that the silver blood from the back of her head smeared across his cheek. He tried not to crowd her, or harm the gossamer wings that’d sprouted from her back, but it hardly seemed to matter. The wings were unfazed, Ezili seemed distracted, and Saza focused solely on the art of staying on.

He shut his bright red eyes against the sun. Ezili’s sword swung out and around them, and he didn’t want to see what it cut down. How many limbs it left severed on the sandy, shifting ground, how many men it simply ended with a reach, or stab, or swing. It was all good and well for how it kept him safe and sound, but he didn’t want to see the light leave their eyes. He didn’t want to see their crimson blood paint the ground. Clever as could be, Ezili stabbed straight through the closest mounted mercenary, and Saza’s cheek was spattered with the finest spray of red. His bony fingers shook where they linked at Ezili’s stomach, and they held tighter together in an attempt to keep still.

He had to stay calm. He knew he had to stay calm if he wanted to be of any use. If there was anything he had learned as a soldier, it was that. So he took a deep breath, focused on the feeling of Ezili’s platinum hair whipping against his face… and he opened his eyes.

“Let go of me.”

“Shit.”

Well he had been expecting a few more trills of that nice, meditative calm before it was all thrown to shit, but there was an unmanned horse beside them and a job to do for Ezili. Another breath – a little less deep, a little less calming, but helpful regardless – and Saza took the reins and quickly agreed, “to the west. Got it, Mistress.”

The other biqaj dismounted and left him alone on the granite beast. “Uh, I - uh,” Saza lightly wrapped the reins for the other horse around his wrist, and then–

– a bright light flashed before him, sudden and powerful. He shielded his eyes as much as he could, but it was gone as soon as it’d appeared, and left him wide-eyed and confused as he looked to Ezili for answers. In the end… he received none. Only the shouted confirmation for the mage that was his employer.

A nervous, shuddered breath escaped him, and he nodded, and tried to turn the horses around despite every bone in his body fighting to stay. It felt so wrong to leave her, mage or otherwise – but with their assailants falling in to approach, he knew that he would do her no good there. She was powerful beyond what the young biqaj could even believe… or so he hoped. All that really mattered to him, as he kicked his legs against the stone horse’s form and turned it around, was that she was capable of making it out of there alive.

The living horse struggled. It pulled against his hold and he held ever tighter to the reins. Ezili’s strange, granite mount was unrelenting in comparison, and as much as it hurt his inner thighs in its fast galloping, he was grateful for the steady pace. Ezili’s bright, ethereal display proved the best of distractions, as Saza was met with only a handful of passing arrows on his way to rejoin the slower, panicked slaves. They had tried their best to follow, and he didn't have to venture far.

“Come on, one of you take the horse,” he shouted as he approached, and when none of them moved within the trill, he pointed to one of the taller slaves. “You, take this!”

The reins were handed over. The horse whinnied and reared up on its hind legs, but the boy’s quiet cooing calmed the beast just enough to settle down. Saza motioned to hurry things along, and as soon as the tall boy had pulled himself up and onto the horse, the curly-haired youth waved one of the other slaves over to join him.

“Follow me,” Saza directed. If he just didn’t let himself think about Ezili, and he didn’t think about all the dangerous, bloody possibilities that only multiplied with every trill that passed while they stood there in the open, then he could do this. He could.

He leaned forward and held onto the stone horse’s neck. Now he only had to go west… which was… “This way,” he turned the horse again, and with a quick glance around, Saza set off in that direction. He had to get them farther to the west… that was all he had to do. But he couldn’t help but look for Ezili while he did.
word count: 1227
Llyr Llywelyn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

7th Break
Ninth of Ymiden, Arc 720

Away went Saza, and Ezili could only hope that her newest assistant wouldn't meet a similar fate as those who had come before him. She would have to trust that he could do as told and survive until she could make it to him and the slaves again.

Unwilling to use her magic so soon after removal of the Ring of Paradigm, it seemed her ether struggled to find its consistent flow through the spark-laden mage while each of her four sparks awoke in chaotic stirs. They did not like to be sealed, and for as often as she did it, the sparks had come to instinctively recognize when they had returned from such a condition.

Her halo flickered and buzzed through dimming and brightening of iridescent light in the ring above her head. The wings that formed along her back seemed thin and struggled to maintain shape while it changed the patterns of the ethereal veins that made them. Her skin had started to go haywire, or so it looked, as blues and reds flashed in certain spots and colorful tattoos stretched out along portions of her visible skin - along the back of her neck, and her shoulders. Her crystalline legs glimmered and in certain spots, thin cracks showed as if jutted with layers of quartz.

It was, perhaps, due to all of this that some of the mercenaries who'd started in approach of the mage... slowed and halted. Whether mesmerized by the otherworldly appearance, or intimidated from the unknown, the effect resulted in the same.

Ezili focused on the rider who had the horse she wanted, though. A mercenary who had already gotten dashed in blood from his own opponents - likely the unarmed vulnerable who now lay heaped along the desert turned battlefield. She lifted to the tallest of her height, then pointed the gleaming sword right at him to make clear her targeted intention.

The winds continued to pick up. In the far north-east, a curtain of beige started to gather and climb past the horizon: a sandstorm.

The rider didn't cower, or attempt to flee, but rather rode toward her in aggressive gallop.

Ezili held true, though she lowered her sword somewhat while she counted the beat of the hooves against the sand to gain the rhythm of the beast's momentum. Faster, the horse approached. Sand kicked up beneath its impressive hooves.

With a shrill cry of battle muffled by his scarf, the rider lifted his own sword.

Ezili felt a searing pain cut down the length of her spine. From the bony ridges, insectile legs jutted outward. They lengthened in rapid instinct, spear-pointed at the ends while they stabbed down into the sands. Her entire body lifted, up up up, and above the horse and rider while they galloped past where she'd just been standing.

The biqaj flipped around, the joints of her ethereal limbs rotated, and she swung her entire body in a graceful but harsh angle. She landed on the saddle, right behind the mercenary. One arm wrapped around his waist, she held the edge of the sword to his throat. The threat made clear, he relaxed his grip on the reins and let go of his sword so it fell to the sand. Ezili shoved him off the saddle, then took the reins of the horse as it bucked in fear. Her insectile legs curled around to hold onto the beast and it ran wildly without recourse.

Barely able to keep hold of her sword, she struggled with the creature while the other mercenaries simply backed away with shock and uncertainty of what had transpired in the few swift bits of time.

"Stop," she tried to speak to the horse. Her halo brightened in another flash. "Merda, calm yourself..."

While the horse bucked and whinnied, speed still fast and reckless, other shouts started to rise from the group - from the mercenaries and caravan-travelers alike. Some had different languages, but all meant the same thing: Sandstorm!

Ezili nearly launched right off the horse, if it weren't for her ethereal grip. Once she settled on the saddle again, she leaned forward and whispered to the horse, "Forward, then. Wild or not, we're going west." The tone of her voice seemed to manage enough, and the horse must have realized that it wasn't able to flip the mage off like it had expected, so the creature followed as she wrenched the reins to guide them into the western direction.

As she caught up with the slaves, who hadn't gotten as far as she would have liked, she rode in front and paused with a surveyed glance. The horse calmed now, away from the chaos of battle enough to realize it wasn't in any immediate danger. Ezili's insectoid legs retracted from the caged grip it had taken around the beast but didn't return like she would have tried otherwise. She ignored the sobs of one of the slaves while she handed the reins over and demanded, "Ride. Everyone is here? Everyone on a saddle?"

She walked through, in a quick count of the eight slaves. Four horses, with two riders each. She went over to the fifth horse, the stone horse, and changed to take the command seat in front of Saza again.

Blue of ether-filled eyes, the mortalborn looked at the other biqaj and said, "Good."

"Follow me, we need to outrun the sandstorm. If it overtakes us, cover yourselves best you can until it is over." With a nod, she turned her gaze forward. Along her spine, the four pairs of oily-black insectile legs slid inward to shorten in length but didn't disappear and rather swayed like the antennas of a curious bug. Her silver-bloodied neck had a colorful design like a fan of many painted eyes that peered at Saza.

Off they went, toward the west, with the sandstorm at their heels while the mercenaries and caravan-travelers scrambled to prepare for it while still amidst their struggle with each other.
word count: 1025
Saza Moshe
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

7th Break ‣ 9 Ymiden, 720
Before long, Ezili rejoined them. Saza felt a breath of relief push from his lungs, though the state of the pale blonde was worrisome. Were those… legs… on her back? In her back? Were they legs at all? Scarlet eyes stared forward at the ethereal figure as she rounded the horse in front of them and paused to survey her slaves. He didn’t stop the stone horse’s movement forward – he wouldn’t have known how to, anyway – but fortunately the odd beast seemed to have the sense to slow down and not overtake Ezili’s position.

“Everyone is here,” the assistant confirmed, with a glance back to the slaves to make sure. Ezili walked through and counted them; Saza did the same from his place on the stone horse.

Everyone was accounted for, and as soon as the last of the slaves mounted the horse Ezili had provided – which they did quite quickly, despite their panicked sobs – everyone was better off, too. He nodded to himself, and when his new employer approached to join him on the horse, he scooted back and gave her the room to do so.

Arms wrapped (a little less tightly) around her waist again, Saza held his chest awkwardly away from the insect-like legs and gossamer wings at Ezili’s back. Was he supposed to… touch all of those? Were they some sort of illusion, or… without the slightest clue about magic or how it worked, the blond biqaj could only stare, red eyes flitting from the wings to the legs to the eyes that stared straight back.

Maybe it was best if he just… didn’t look at all of it. Not yet, at least, not while he had to hold so close to her, not while he still wasn’t sure what the fuck any of it was or if it could hurt him or - or infect him or something. For now, he had to ignore it, and so that was what he did. Mostly.

He quickly found that it was a little hard to ignore the legs that poked gently at his chest as Ezili drove them onward and away from the coming sandstorm… but he found, too, that the touch didn’t kill him. So he swallowed his fear, held a little closer to the mage, and took another deep breath. As he exhaled, breath cool over Ezili’s shoulder, he focused only forward and away from the storm.
word count: 415
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Nashaki”