• Closed • Alchemy with Tristan and ... Padraig?!

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Aegis, Pegasus, Vorpal, Ghoul

Alchemy with Tristan and ... Padraig?!

Postby Tristan Venora » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:33 pm

As Padraig called his using the slime as a binder ingenious, Tristan beamed at him before he remembered just who he was facing again. This was Padraig, the terrible tutor, the man who had been the source of many of a nightmare - but receiving that compliment from him had just felt so good that he found himself unable to resist. This was all that he had wanted – for Padraig to take him seriously as an alchemist and be impressed by his art! He had reached his goal! “Thank you”, he replied with only a little reluctance, figuring that it would be fine as long as nobody outside this room ever found out. If anybody outside this room got wind of it though, the world would end soon after!

“You probably noticed that I didn’t use a primer the first time”, he told Padraig as he took another box and emptied it on top of the pile of herbs that had been in the first box, briefly wondering if the other man had a problem with his wasting the university’s resources like that before he decided that he didn’t care. If he complained, he’d just tell him it had happened in the name of scientific progress or something like that. “That’s because mirrordust doesn’t require a primer. Golden Salamander resin – that’s the reagent that I will use in order to make the box fireproof – on the other hand does”, he explained as he retrieved a new, clean bowl and got to work. He started by infusing the box with the primer before he went about adding the reagents.

“The other steps really aren’t that different. We still need mirrordust, a binder, an accelerant, a triggering reagent and a trigger”, he continued as he dumped the various substances into the bowl, briefly looking at Padraig when it came to adding the snail slime. “Do you think this here constitutes animal abuse?” he wondered – although he wasn’t sure if Faith’s husband would give him a clear answer. “When I need my snails for something, I always give them an especially big head of lettuce afterwards so that they aren’t too mad at me”, he admitted before he continued his work.

“I’m not sure if it’s possibly to turn the two effects on and off separately, so the fireproof effect will always be on while the other effect …” He broke off abruptly as something occurred to him. He had forgotten something very important. He had made a mistake even though he had tried his hardest not to make any mistakes and make a fool of himself!

“I didn’t add a sealer after applying the Golden Salamander resin”, he admitted somewhat reluctantly and looked at Padraig. There was something about the look in his eyes that warned the terrible tutor not to criticize him too much for that. “Without a sealer, the fireproof effect will be ruined. You can try this box …" He slid the first box that he had made across the table. "While I correct this here." he said to him before he worked on his third and hopefully last box. He was familiar with the process now, so it didn’t take him too long. Now all that was left to do was to see if the box was really fireproof and worked as intended - which meant setting it on fire!
Tristan Venora
Approved Character

Race: Human
Profession: Duke of Oakleigh
Renown: +424
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Medals: 25
Character of the Month (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Pioneer (2) Hoarder (1) Right In The Feels (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Puppet Master (1) Pen Pal (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (2)
Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

Postby Padraig » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:45 pm

The begrudging nature with which Tristan offered up his thanks for the compliment, was probably roughly equal to the spirit in which it had been given. As a man of science, or physics in particular, Padraig could appreciate that. Nobody ought be getting carried away however. He might be impressed by the level of competency that Tristan had achieved as an alchemist. But as an artist? That sculpture, having been the only example of the other man's work he'd seen to date? Still an abomination.

"I did," he said, regarding the lack of primer layered on in the first instance, "and you're correct. Mirror dust doesn't require it. Ordinarily,"[/b he added with something of a thoughtful frown, [b]"if you were a typical first level student I'd have called you up short and required the step, necessary or no." It was important, he explained, for those who were just learning, to avoid skipping steps. Too soon it became a habit for those who lacked the experience and self-discipline to know better.

But animal abuse? Padraig frowned again, curiously, then shrugged. "Hardly," he guessed. "I'm sure that someone over in the philosopher's wing would argue that sentience is somehow relative to the being in question....Or some similar drivel and hogwash. But these are slugs, and they'd be wrong." And besides, philosophy was not science, in his humble opinion. As Tristan talked and worked, the scholar observed. And when the other man missed a step, an important one, Padraig said nothing. He would have, had the mistake been one that could result in some sort of disastrous event. Large or small. But at any level, one learned most, from one's own mistakes.

He smiled when Tristan admitted the blunder. But strangely, not because of the other man's failure. But instead because he'd caught the mistake before offering up the finished product. "You'll never stop making mistakes," he cautioned. "Too much time spent thinking you've mastered it and cannot possibly stumble, is plenty of time for something to go terribly wrong." Arrogance wasn't any man's friend. In particular, a practitioner of such a powerful craft.

But Padraig stood back and observed while Tristan worked, and in the end he suggested that the testing ought be done at the far end of the workshop, away from all the breakable and flammable things. Turned out, Tristan's creation would function just as he'd imagined it might. "It really is very clever Tristan. Congratulations. I can see no reason not to sign off on your letter in alchemy." Before he'd send the other man away, however, with the certificate clutched in his hand, Padraig felt that they ought to clear something up.

"You know Tristan. It's been an interesting session and I'm very impressed with what you've accomplished. However," he added before the man started gloating out beyond the walls of this lab. "If a certain someone was to learn about this...isolated event, they might start getting big ideas about intimate social gatherings. Dinners out, family outings at the shore, shared holidays." Just thinking about it, Padraig inwardly shuddered. "I don't think either one of us wants that to happen. Agreed?"
Padraig
Approved Character

Renown: +544
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Medals: 23
Character of the Month (1) Story of the Month (2) Painting With Words (1) One Arc Later... (1)
Living Legend (1) Hallowed (1) Pioneer (1) Hoarder (1)
First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1) Right In The Feels (1) True Love (1)
Married (1) Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1)
Party Animal (1) Lol Worthy (1) Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)
Winner Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

Postby Tristan Venora » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:12 am

“So slugs aren’t sentient at all?“ Tristan asked doubtfully and eyed said slugs that had gone back to munching on the lettuce that he had provided them with. They looked happy, but they hadn’t displayed any other signs of sentience so far. They certainly weren’t on a level with Mistral who had turned out not to be a normal house cat, but an inhabitant of the Misty Miasma that had gotten lost in Rynmere. Still, he didn’t like the fact that Padraig knew something better. Maybe, he thus decided, slugs were simply so different from them that they didn’t realize how intelligent and sentient and self-aware they really were!

When Padraig smiled at him after he had made his mistake, Tristan glowered at him. He was just about to try and think of what he would say to him when he started to criticize him (he would make the terrible tutor regret it), when the other man simply pointed out that he’d never stop making mistakes. Tristan just stared at him and blinked a couple of times as if he weren’t sure that he had correctly, and then he informed him, “I can try to make fewer mistakes though. Do you still make mistakes, by the way, Padraig?” he wanted to know, wondering if the terrible tutor would ever willingly admit such a thing to him, his wife’s former owner. He was genuinely interested though.

Padraig had agreed to test his creation, and Tristan followed him across the workshop and positioned himself slightly behind the terrible tutor in case something did explode after all. When it worked as intended, he thus breathed a huge sigh of relief. As the terrible tutor congratulated him, he did a double take before he softly said, “Thank you. It was … interesting”, he admitted somewhat reluctantly because it still felt so weird and wrong. “You aren’t all bad. If it weren’t for Faith, I might even get along with you, but don’t ever tell anybody that I said that!” he warned him.

As Padraig mentioned intimate social gatherings, dinners, family outings and shared holidays, Tristan’s eyes widened until they threatened to drop out of their sockets. “No, no, no!” he made and shook his head fervently, looking absolutely terrified. “I definitely don’t want this to happen! She’ll never find out if I have any say in that matter!” Having said that, he abruptly extended a hand and waited for Padraig to hand him his certificate so that he’d finally be a proper alchemist and nobody would be able to claim otherwise anymore.
Tristan Venora
Approved Character

Profession: Duke of Oakleigh
Renown: +424
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Medals: 25
Character of the Month (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Pioneer (2) Hoarder (1) Right In The Feels (1) Changed (1)
Starting A Family (1) Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1)
Puppet Master (1) Pen Pal (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (2)
Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1)

Previous

Return to Scalvoris Town