The First Witch of Skalden

18th of Ymiden 718

A settlement east of Rynmere across a stretch of water called 'the eastern trench' broken into three regions: Welles, Oakleigh, and Berwick.
Alistair
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

18th of Ymiden, Arc 718

I will now tell you
The story of the crone

Within Skalden's murky waters
She lives, we atone

I heard her voice, myself, as a child

And the darkest whispers of nightmares...
Against her, were mild;
she said,

Call upon me,
Feel my name

Make a wish
For power, gold or fame

Children fall
And rise in blood

Justice shall remain
In their hearts, in the mud

Suffering comes, the pain one day goes
For the living that live those Sheoran woes

Magic is not right
But magic has might

And so we all fall prey
To the dying of the light

Was it a song, or poem? He did not know. The woman who sung it strung the hairs of her lute, wearing a bard's cap, a golden hoop-like medallion, and a greatly colored blouse; iridescent, with all the colors of an arch of rain made visible in the sky. Her hat had feathered hair of its own, complimenting her long red locks. She was a performer, but more than that - she held an ideology that was as certain as the morning sun. Within her songs, she shared the contemptuous tales of mages; their evil, their misdeeds.

Only, the story of Skalden's coven of witches was possibly... real. A collection of mages that worshiped great spirits, unbeknownst to him. He had remembered only the Argosian mages who had sacrificed their lives to Yashul, a great voice in the darkness. But he was perhaps a fabrication, or the lingering hum of an artifact. How else could he have truly been real? Were there spirits greater than the apparitions in dreaming? Did they live upon this world?

It was an uncertain thing. But as Alistair had devoted his life only to purifying the world of mages that he lived in, all of the witches of Skalden needed to die. In the face of his view of injustice, Alistair's justice was - as always - sole, and singular. There were no grey areas; there was murder, or exemption.

But first, he needed to learn about these crones. They were often called hags, feather-fiend predators, dwellers of the wilds that lived among the murky forest wetlands. Such tales were often fabricated, though he was entirely uncertain of the origin of this one. Only that his targets were many, and numerous.

Alistair brought himself to approach the bard, shadowing her upon the cessation of her show. With a disquieting apprehension showing upon his half-scowling expression, he spoke, calling out to her after a far from subtle approach.

"Bard," he called her. "I'd like to speak with you."
Last edited by Alistair on Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 444
Alistair
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"Bard?" she asked. "Very indirect. I have a name, you know," the woman stated, her eyes gauging the man before her, taking his soldierly frame into view. Immediately, her gaze focused on his own - the wild, indigo-violet colors, dotted into millions of small specs like stars upon the canvas of a galaxy.

Immediately, she knew. He--

"You're a mage," she said, not altogether surprised, but not entirely comfortable.

"Yes," Alistair replied.

"I... see. What-- what's your purpose for contacting me. Are you here to protest about my 'magic is not right' lyric? I'll be certain to add your complaint to my list."

Sassy. He smirked.

"I don't care about your perspective," he said, bluntly, in a low voice. "You can continue to believe as you want. Magic is here to stay, regardless of the Mantis, or the Hiladrathi, or the supposed cure that everyone seems to have for my 'plague'. It's a fundamental of the universe -- a living, infinite, immortal thing. Sparks, ether... they breathe within our world. They will never go away."

The woman blinked, staring quietly. "So, then--"

"It needs regulation. Women like these witches -- they can't... exist. They need to die. Say what you will in praise of the Mantis, or what remains of the Iron Hand. They have not come. I have. So tell me; where are they?"

"The swamp," she responded.

"Where?" he pressed.

"Deep within. One of them... Hagerd Fen, she spoke to me as a girl. Compelled me to become her apprentice, the heir to her 'gift', as she called it. I believe she is a... Necromancer. Most of them are. They animate these vile, bog-covered beasts. I've seen them, too. She--"

Alistair stopped her, noticing something from her complexion. In the face of her memories, and all that she said of Hagerd Fen, the colors upon her neck had begun to shift through the net-like fabric that extended from her blouse. The clear transparency of her skin was now shaded in an opaque, gloom-like blue. That had to be... a mutation.

"You're a mage, too," he said.

"I was," the woman whispered.

"You are. Magic is not something you can leave behind. It's always a part of you."

". . . I know that," the bard whispered. "I'm Clara. And you?"

"Alistair," he responded.

"Are you -- that Alistair?" the woman asked.

"Yes," he said. "You're another fleeing mage, aren't you? Hiding your identity. Singing tunes of the hubris of our art; thinking your flagellation will save you. This country has fallen, Clara. They will kill you no matter how callous you become of your art, and how deeply you repent. You have the spark upon your soul, a parasite in their view. The Hiladrathi have been working tirelessly."

The woman lowered her eyes, and nodded. "I know," she said. "The witch of Skalden, Hagerd Fen, made me an Empath. Her first gift. I lived beneath her for a long time, participated in all of her many misdeeds. My soul has already been stained; they would want for the pyre to cleanse it. I don't want that. I--"

"We'll cleanse it with blood, then. The witches, all of them, will die. That can be your redemption. Do you want to come along?" he asked.

For a long moment, the woman held an uncertainty in her breath, as she hesitated to respond. The apprehension was evident upon her expression, peering both into Alistair's eyes and - through her reflection - her own thoughts. She did not know whether or not it was the right choice to make. She did not know the dangers, or the worries, or the pain. But she knew she wanted to be liberated from it all; the grief, the guilt, the years of subjugation beneath the thumb of a swamp-bound witch.

Alistair offered to her... change. And so, as one living in fear and repression, he had given all that could be asked for. "Okay," she responded, nodding her head lightly. "It will certainly be something to see."
word count: 683
Alistair
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

She guided him through the forest. They must have spent two breaks wandering through, shifting from pathway to beaten trail, of branches and leaves and thick brush. Alistair understood, now, why none had pursued the stories; the forest itself was twisted and infinite, as if grown to confuse and derail intruders. There were no animals that would provoke a hunter, nor ominous sounds chiming in the distance, provoking deeper query by a wandering mage-hunter. There was only the silence, accompanied occasionally by the voices of Alistair var Radomir and Clara the Bard.

"Tell me when we're near," he would whisper, on end. In truth, he was only building up his readiness - preparing his mind for the battle that was to come. From what he had learned, Hagerd Fen was not the only witch of Skalden. They were, appropriately titled, a coven. There were Necromancers, Defiers, Transmuters, and other things. Hagerd Fen was allegedly blessed by Delroth, and the majority of them were Avriel, covered steeply in thick feathers of dark, grey-black colors. All of the mages within were both intimidating and empowered, with the ability to ascend to escape the forest's entrapment. From there, they could rain magic and feathers from above, whilst those who pursued them would suffer the vulnerability of the ground.

Alistair would need to kill them near-immediately, not allowing them to organize a cohesive tactic, or ascend into the skies.

"The Witches of Skalden," he spoke, glancing to Clara. "Give me their names. Explain them to me, individually, so I know what to expect."

"Certainly," she said. "Hagerd Fen. Leader. Blessed of Delroth, Necromancer, Empath. She is an elderly woman, and has now fallen mostly frail. I'm uncertain as to whether or not her wings remain in working order. But regardless, she's strong, Alistair. Her Necromancy is very powerful. I learned my music from her . . . and her Bonesong. She plays a lute with a feathered pick. Anyway, there are more. Lygmi, another Avriel, from Athart originally. A wind Defier - you can imagine how she bonds with the Element. Then, there's Skreega, an Attuner, who fights with a heavy mace. Their warrior. And finally, Elena Moore, the fallen daughter of an old Merchant House, nee... I've forgotten. Either way, she's talented, and young. Multiple domains. She was one of the other girls that Hagerd wanted to make her apprentice. I knew her very well. Vulnerable, and exploited. She had the option to leave with me, when I'd finally made my choice to go. She didn't come. Now, she's one of them."

That was four. Four members of the Coven - four mages for him to fight. But Alistair did not intend to take them all on alone, and at once. He would need to separate them from one another, and in all likelihood, that meant utilizing Clara. The first witch of Skalden, Hagerd Fen, was connected to her . . . and had never vengefully followed after her. She had allowed her to live, and perhaps even allowed her to return. When they finally drew near, he would disappear within the brush, and Clara would be their bait. Once Hagerd Fen had fallen, they could move on to the rest; Lygmi, Skreega, Elena.

The cabin came into view through the branches and leaves. He could see it in the distance, with wetlands between where they stood and where they'd fight. Alistair knew, with some level of discomfort, that he was no master of such terrain. But they would simply have to do it.

"Clara," he whispered, "You know what I expect of you, right?"

"I'm the vanguard," she spoke, cynically. "The first to step forward. The first to die if things go wrong. Isn't that right?"

"Grim," he replied. "You made your choice when you followed. Do you intend to stand by it?" Alistair asked.

"I do," Clara replied.

"Then, godspeed. I'll watch from the brush. If anything goes wrong, I'll be by your side in an instant. I promise."
word count: 677
Banshee
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Staff

Alistair

Overview

XP: 10

Renown: 5

Consequences

Injuries/Overstepping: Nope

Loot: Nope

Expenses: Nope

Knowledge

• Skill:
    • N/A
  • Non-Skill:
    • N/A

Comments

Brazen indeed! Alistair is a known entity and even if this is the Eastern Settlement, it's still potentially very dangerous to have approached the bard as he did and not done a runner when she realised what he was. It was a fascinating insight into his characterisation and his outlook on magic. It's interesting that he considers magic an acceptable thing in his own hands but seems to detest it appearing in the hands of certain others. An intriguing thread and I imagine it will have an interesting conclusion.
Don't forget to edit your grade request with the following stamp:

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=500&image_id=13727[/img][/center]
If you think that I missed anything or you have any queries about your grade then don't hesitate to PM me!
word count: 160
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Eastern Settlement”