A Proposal of Sorts

17th of Cylus 719

Yaralon is opening as a moderated area on 1st Feb 2023.
Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 1020
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A Proposal of Sorts

17th of Cylus, Arc 719

Continued from here

Edyn looked uncomfortable at the idea, but Praetorum stared her down, folding his arms across his chest. The two of them sat in silence for some time, before Edyn finally relented, sighing. "Alright, alright. I'm going to preface this by saying I haven't made up my mind about you yet. I've got a good feeling, but I want to get to know you better first. And in the end it'll be your choice, of course. But I've been looking for... an apprentice, I suppose. A successor. And you seem like you might fit the bill."  

Praetorum stared at her, openmouthed. 

"See? This is why I wanted to lay the groundwork before I brought it up." 

"I don't—when you say an apprentice—what—"

Edyn sighed, turning away from Praetorum to stare into the fire. "I told you, having a spark of magic... changes you. It's different for everyone, but it's a bit like magics all have their own personality. And once you take it on, they impart a bit of themselves to you, pull you to do what they want as well. I don't mind it, for the most part. Defiance is kind, makes you think about the elements as real people, in a sense. Makes them real to you, not just tools to be used. Hone is generous; it's a magic to help, to heal, or at least the type that I have is. It makes you want to give to other people, to raise them up and protect them. But Rupture... Rupture wants to move, to explore. Staying in one place, with one group for too long, it doesn't like that."

She sighed, lying back in the grass. "Selyin's been as accomodating as possible about it; I can leave whenever I want, and always have a place here. But the Hand relies on me, now. And when I'm not here, I'll need someone to protect them in my place. The defensive division does what they can, but there's no replacement for having a mage at your side in the heat of battle, you know. I.... I'd feel better knowing there was someone else with them when I'm not."

Praetorum considered that for a long while, pulling chunks of fish from the skewer and feeding them to Sivan. He watched silently as the kheledzan delicately took the treat from his fingers, trying to figure out how he felt about Edyn's confession. "Why me?" He asked finally, when the last morsel had disappeared between Sivan's teeth, and she nuzzled into his palm. "There are others in the band who've known you longer, who are stronger and faster than I am. I don't understand why I'm the one you're considering."
word count: 480
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand
  • A ring of light around his left forearm

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
  • The area around him is slightly more static-y than normal
Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 1020
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: A Proposal of Sorts

"A few reasons, honestly. Most of the other defenders, they've got ambitions, either to start their own company, or to get well known enough to join the Sober or another prestigious company. I can't exactly blame them; it's not the most glamorous thing, playing second string to the rangers. But I need someone who will stay with the Hand, so most of them are out."

"You're not willing to consider a ranger as your successor?" Praetorum asked.

"No. I need someone whose first priority is keeping the clients and our fellows safe. The rangers... I don't know if you've noticed, but we prefer to hire them for their ability to let someone else take over their protection, rather than their combat skills when they start off. And I can't afford to discover I misjudged someone after initiating them." She smiled grimly. "I only get so many tries at this. So. I'm taking it cautiously. You... I'm still trying to figure you out, but I don't get the impression you're particularly interested in joining a more prestigious company, or starting your own." Praetorum made a face at that, and she laughed. "I've seen you throw yourself into bad situations without a trill's hesitation to help others." She gestured at his shoulder, injured luring foes away from his allies and the children they'd been protecting. 

"Selyin doesn't like it; she thinks you're reckless, or worse. But that isn't it, is it?" She leaned forwards, propping her elbows up on her knees. "You're not stupid, or overconfident. You just can't stand the idea of losing anyone who you could have saved?"

Praetorum laughed mirithlessly at that. He hadn't realized he was so transparent. "Yeah." He told her, flopping back onto the grass to avoid her gaze. "I can't lose anyone else again. I— I lost someone I cared about because I couldn't protect them. If that happened again, if I failed again...." He trailed off, staring gloomily up at the moons. 

They were silent for a long time. "You're going to think this awfully selfish of me." Edyn said finally. "Because to tell you the truth, I don't think that's a particularly healthy mindset to have. But that's exactly what I need from an apprentice; an overwhelming drive to protect the others." She shifted over to sit next to him. "I want to induct you into hone, at least. I think of all the defenders we have right now, you'd be the one who could use it best for the Hand, and the one who'd synergize with the spark best. And.... I hope it would be good for you too. The way you're carrying on right now, throwing yourself in front of danger after danger, I'd be surprised if you make it through the cycle. At least with hone, you'd have a better chance of surviving."

I don't know that I want to survive.

The thought popped into Praetorum's head so suddenly he had no time to be startled by it. It was true, wasn't it? He hadn't realized that until now, that he jumped into every battle half hoping that this time, he wouldn't come out.

Praetorum sat up suddenly, shaking his head. It was a disturbing realization. He didn't want to want that, he thought firmly to himself. Where this impulse, to go out in a blaze of glory, sacrificing his own life for someone else's, had come from, he could not have said, but Edyn was right. It wasn't healthy. Ri would have hated it, hated to see him like this. 

He wanted to die. He wanted to live. So, since he couldn't know which impulse would win out in the heat of battle, shouldn't he take that option away from his future self? This magic, Hone; Edyn thought it could save him, help him save others. He trusted her in battle, in the field. Did he trust her enough with this?

"What would it entail?" He asked. "This... induction into magic."

Edyn smiled triumphantly, and turned fully towards him. "The initiation is dangerous, I won't lie to you. Basically, I overload your body with runes, and if you survive, the hone spark takes root in your soul. You could die, or worse. I couldn't blame you if you wanted to back out." She told him, quite clearly knowing he wouldn't. "I don't plan on leaving anytime soon, so I'd teach you. I'd need to talk with Selyin, but I think instead of staying with the aerial teams, you should take missions with me and Selyin, to get a better, bigger picture of the way we operate, and how you can help. And so we can get a better sense for you." She chewed her lip. "I still haven't decided if you should be the one to take my place in the Hand while I'm gone, honestly. But after talking with you this trial, I think even if I decide on someone else, I want you to learn hone at least. "

Praetorum considered that, then nodded slowly. "Okay." He said softly, then again, louder. "Okay. I'll do it."

Praetorum was scared, of magic, of changing, of being anything but himself. But worse still was the idea of his grief taking over his life, extinguishing it. If this was what it took to live... He could stare that fear down, make it his own. Praetorum had never been one to back down from an enemy.

Even if that enemy was himself.
Continued here
word count: 962
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand
  • A ring of light around his left forearm

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
  • The area around him is slightly more static-y than normal
Alistair
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: A Proposal of Sorts

Praetorum

Knowledges
Discipline: Winning a contest of wills
Discipline: Quashing self sacrificial tendencies
Discipline: Facing the fear of magic to survive
Psychology: Identifying suicidal feelings
Mount (Kheledzan): Feeding a mount by hand
Animal Training: Feeding treats to bond with an animal

Magic: Sparks change your personality
Magic: Rupture sparks want to travel
Magic: Hone initiation involves overloading the body with runes

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A

Points 10

Comments: YES. Become one of us! I like your understanding of magic, already; it's impressive considering how complex magic tends to be. I look forward to seeing Prae's full Hone initiation, and enjoyed your writing! Here are your rewards!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=2&image_id=13883[/img][/center]
word count: 129
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Eastern: Central: Yaralon”