Domain Magic Q&A

It's finally here.

Here you can ask questions relating to the Standing Trials roleplay to everyone in the community. All members are welcome to assist here.

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Plague » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 pm

You may do either, given your conditions of having it.

I always suggest a memory thread, makes the magic more real.
Plague
Developer - Rank 4
Developer - Rank 4

Race: Mer
Renown: +260
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) Story of the Month (2) World Developer (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Alpha Testing (1) One Arc Later... (1) Right In The Feels (1) Scandalous (1)
Survivor (1) Developer (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Poppy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Okay so for attunement, I have a question. Say my character is walking around in the woods and is using their compass ability to not get lost. She would be feeling those familiar frequencies because she is attuned to that area, right? However - if something new were to come into the area. Say another person was entering the woods, would she be able to notice that? I don't know if I explained that right or just made it more confusing....Magic isn't my forte.
Poppy
Pirate Mistress

Race: Biqaj
Profession: Pirate
Renown: -30
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Medals: 1
Artíst (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Sephira » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:18 pm

A Rupturing Question
It was mentioned in a previous answer that if a Rupturer were to try and take someone through a Blink that the other person would likely lose something limb-wise in the transition.
So my question is this, can portals be used to shear through chains or long objects the mage tossed partially through before closing the portal? If this is possible, what would be the limitations? Thanks!

"Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil. It's a constant struggle as to which one will win.
And one cannot exist without the other."

Dancing Write-Up | Jewelry Crafting Write-Up | Da'Riya (Unarmed Combat) Write-Up
Sephira
Dimensional Duelist

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Flame Element Sorcerer
Renown: +190
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medals: 7
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Supporter (1) Murderer (1) Lol Worthy (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Val'ystil » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 am

I have about eight months of questions I've been waiting to ask. Pardon the massive number of them.

Defiance

1) Is the bond to elements something unique to the nature of Defiance? Is it tapping in to the direct concept of Fire, Wind, Earth, and Water as if the character was themselves capable of manipulating that concept as an Anak, or is it different to them? In that same vein, do Anak of elements have a relationship with said elements insofar as manipulating these concepts?

2) In doing something that a Fire Anak would favor, would the Defiance element of fire itself also be appeased?

3) Ether is given to the elements to move, or can they move on their own without ether expenditure by the mage?

4) Is astronomy of any major significance to magic? The sun and the stars? I remember reading that stars are just pinpricks in the sky, gateways to Emea, but I can't find that information anymore to corroborate. Hopefully you have some fun with this question!

An example in using the sun for magic might be amplifying the suns rays to burn or blind through Defiance, if it were really a giant ball of flaming gas that you could have a relationship with.

Fractures

5) Do soul-fractures shrink when the Spark is removed? What happens to the soul-fracture when someone dies and they are not flayed?

6) Can a mage draw Ether from an Emea-hole/fracture? How close to the source do they need to be to do so, if so? I recall Vuda doing this.

7) Is it possible for a powerful mage, exerting lots of Ether along an Emean fault line, to coax into existence a small or major Fracture?

8) It would seem that the type of Well a Fracture might have within is tied to the concepts present nearby to said Fracture, with more complex ones available from larger Fractures. Does this mean that players can discover or find and research new Well types from new environments?

9) Can fracture chasms form in the air, or do they always form in solid substances such as the earth?

10) When a fracture disappears, does it leave behind visible land scarring such as the chasm/cave it created, or does this earth seal back up, burying the Wells?

Flaying

11) Can a flayed man become a ghost?
Val'ystil

Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Dancer
Renown: 0
Character Sheet

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Plague » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:41 pm

1. Anak manipulate elements naturally and to an untrained viewer, it may seem similar to Defiance. However Defiance uses ether to force these changes and manipulations, while the Spirit uses much more natural Ephemera and its nature.

2. Generally speaking, yes. It is more the mental understanding of both the Spark and the mage of what fire 'wants'

3. Must use ether for any magic

4. That's a very interesting concept. So far, no, but in the future? May be worth exploring. I appreciate the heads up. (unfortunately though, the sun would be much too far away to actually use Defiance on)

5. Most of the time Sparks are never removed, so there isn't much study on the practical effects. OOC, the soul fracture would remain partly wider than an ordinary person's

6. They can, and they just need to be within the range of the Foyer of a Fracture.

7. Possibly, but the trick would be what kind of magic would create the breach? Attunement to know where to press the resonance? Transmutation as the cornerstone of ether manipulation? Or Rupturing to cut between locations?

8. This is possible, although prophet approval will be needed and well type list updated for this kind of foray.

9. They can form in the air, but are generally rarer. It is not entirely clear as to why.

10. The Earth seals back up, burying the wells, although depending on the size of the breach, it may leave some other physical scarring.

11. No. A soul that is completely flayed ceases to be. They cannot come back. Possibly even with Immortal intervention.
Plague
Developer - Rank 4
Developer - Rank 4

Race: Mer
Renown: +260
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) Story of the Month (2) World Developer (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Alpha Testing (1) One Arc Later... (1) Right In The Feels (1) Scandalous (1)
Survivor (1) Developer (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Kitt » Tue May 22, 2018 5:47 pm

I Have a few questions regarding Necromancy,
1. When a necromancer creates a husk it is necessary for that husk to have a brain but there are Marrow’s as well which are only skeletons, Do Marrow’s require a skull to be created and if so what exactly is the limit on skulls could it have 2 or three heads for increased vision.
2. What are the limits to the Minimum size to a marrow, could it possibly be the size of a rodent or does it have to be roughly human-sized or larger.
3. The lore states that Stitchborns and the other Thralls made of flesh can only be made of one cohesive corpse, but when regards to a marrow would the skeletons of multiple corpses be usable or would it count as an expert level creation because of that.
4. Could you potentially use a combination of a clay golem or a metal golem with bones infused in them, if so would that count as a unique creation and would t need to be registered as a player creation?

All of my questions seem to be about marrows, I Guess it's just thoughts I had about them randomly if I have any more questions il post them here.
Kitt
Approved Character

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Lucretia Meadows » Thu May 31, 2018 11:02 am

1. When it comes to necromancy and aberration what can I expect as an additional thrall count ? 2-3 per level of aberration.

2. When it comes to storing flayed ether within the character does Resistance help prevent sickness and potentially overdosing on toxic ether?

3. And does

singing,
musical instruments
dancing

help effect thrall count when combined with Bone Song? or is that more of a strengthens duration and control before running into overgiving ?

Just want to make sure as there was no solid information that I could find concerning this but it's been alluded too in the wording that there were ways to effect thrall counts

4. Can a Harvester be poisoned ?
Lucretia Meadows
Approved Character

Race: Human

Regarding the Domain Magic Progress

Postby Odd » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:44 am

Hi, I have a few questions.

1. When leveling your magic from one competency to the next, if you're at 25 points and you're awarded 10, do you then have 35/251 or 26 points and 27/251, with the rest of the 10 points being lost? I don't understand what it means by "start fresh from there" in the new writeup.

EDIT: Answer - You will then have 35/251 and cannot gain any new points until your mutation is approved.

2. Will these PSF requests be expedited? Some of my PSF tickets have taken over a month to be addressed. This is clearly an attempt to stop power leveling in magic, but it seems a little wild that threads written between the PSF request and approval of the mutations won't count for magic experience as long as the player is writing at the correct competency and doesn't submit the threads for review until after approval.

EDIT: Answer - They won't be expedited but you can write up a plan for all of your mutations, submit it all at once, then once that's approved, submit smaller "this is my thread, here's the mutation" tickets that shouldn't take long to get approved.

2a. The problem is that once you go from novice to competency - are you wanting mages to continue writing as though they're novice in a skill when they no longer are if they want to use magic? It seems a little overly punishing for people who take the skill and want to work on raising it fit the PC's design. Having things checked and making sense is good, but when there are a lot of hoops to jump through for the sake of jumping through hoops, it feels very overkill.

3. Is there any plan to give more Storytellers and Developers access to the PSF? Currently, it seems constantly backed up with requests with only three people semi-consistently fielding them. Have you considered approving certain moderators specific for mutations, or will they all only be handled by Plague? If they're only handled by Plague, he already is redesigning/creating half of the magics available, and it seems like an unnecessary burden to add onto his responsibilities.

Thanks.
Odd
Approved Character

Character Sheet

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Jonathan Burr » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:23 am

Few questions.

1. I can't identify specific threads in which Jon turns from Expert to Master. I'm gradually leveling him, and he's gaining new understandings about both Transmutation and Abberation in like...2-3 different threads with different people right now. It's not a clear divide, it's more of a slow fade, so when you ask for that thread link in the PSF all I'm going to do is shrug and hand you 7-8 different links. How do you propose we deal with that? Magic isn't written like "Oh hey, look, 250/250, where's that music coming from?". The idea of writing a solo where Jon is essentially like "I feel like I have crossed a barrier into mastery" doesn't sound all that appealing either. How do we handle this?

2. PSF requirements take over a month to be addressed. There are only three people who handle the PSF requests, and Plague is busy as hell. He's restructuring several magics, helping several people write mutations; he's essentially the only person who can approve them right now. Is it really fair to put responsibility for all magic on his plate as well? This process has to be expedited, or the PSF is going to blow up with so many requests people will get buried and essentially never be able to use their magic again.
Jonathan Burr
The Wild Child

Profession: Academic
Renown: +45
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Player Review
Templates
Medals: 3
First Love (1) Right In The Feels (1) First Kiss (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Poxis » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:23 pm

It says in the lore that Attunement is light on mutations with only the witch brand, the rest are based off overstepping. I’ve heard mention that you can plan out your mutations in advance and send them as a group to get approved but how would that work for Attuement? If you only do light overstepping you should only have the one mutation from competent but I don’t imagine this is the case anymore.
Poxis
Approved Character

Race: Avriel
Renown: +30
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

PreviousNext

Return to Questions & Answers