Domain Magic Q&A

It's finally here.

Here you can ask questions relating to the Standing Trials roleplay to everyone in the community. All members are welcome to assist here.

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Zipper » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks for the response.

But what happens if I pawn off a electricity-imbued teddy bear onto a little girl and she lacks the ether to activate it? I know the ether touch isn't supposed to be the only example, but what other simple triggers can I do? Make it response to a certain word by a certain voice like Bankai? Clank it on the ground three times? Do a specific action in a specific way? Are all these valid?

When imbuing more than one quality along the length of, say, a blade, may I give each one a different trigger that allows the blade to toggle between different qualities? (For example, the ether touch activates a fire quality, holding the sword up for 5 trills in a certain position activates one that generates wind with each swing, spitting on the blade activates electricity etc etc)

Sent with dangerously high amounts of cocaine in my system,

Choi
ImageImageImage
Zipper
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Bitch

Race: Human
Profession: Professional Scowler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 21
Character of the Month (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Guild Master (1)
Mentor (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Pioneer (1) Right In The Feels (1) First Kiss (1) Murderer (1)
History Repeated (1) Enemy of My Enemy (1) Dreamer (1) Legend In Waiting (1)
Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (3) Event Medal (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Plague » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:12 pm

For trigger specific activation, look to Ensorcellment that will come in the next month.
Plague
Developer - Rank 4
Developer - Rank 4

Race: Mer
Renown: +260
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 15
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) Story of the Month (2) World Developer (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Alpha Testing (1) One Arc Later... (1) Right In The Feels (1) Scandalous (1)
Survivor (1) Developer (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Cassian Gawyne » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:44 pm

All I ever wanted to know about Graft (and I realize I might be alone in this.) Fair warning, this is a rambling raw braindump. But then I'm not even actually here. So feel free to ignore this. Not you, Plague. This is all your fault.

So, Graft.

Graft is still in planning as far as I know and all we know for certain is that it's playing with the physical shape of biological things, most notably but not limited to healing.

So I assume that Graft either coaxes the body to shift and grow into the desired shape, rushing mitosis and giving it form and function or it creates an ethereal mold and then presses flesh and bone into that. Inside out or outside in. Either way I strongly assume that changing delicate things requires a sort of ethereal blueprint. Which would explain why healing is such a common use: You don't need a new blueprint, you just coax the body back into its natural state.

So what do I do with that?

Well, healing. Which is technically boring unless you combine it with something else. Like making sure a torture victim does not die during a vivisection by healing cut blood vessels after every cut but leaving muscle and nerve raw. Or cutting someone's throat to make them understand what it's like to die, then healing the cut, like a more advanced method of simulated drowning. Sometimes actual healing may be advantageous however. Curious in how far this would include regrowing lost body parts altogether, such as a limb.

Far more interesting is the expansion and improvement of the human condition. Graft explicitly mentions introducing foreign materials into the body of a living being. I wonder if that means both biological and dead materials and how functional these will be. Can I, say, create a chimera by grafting body parts from different creatures together? And what about adding mechanical creations? Could I equip a human with a mechanical arm and would that work? Would I have to grow muscle through it to operate its joints or could it be based on a clockwork principle or even be dustforged? Can Graft thread nerves through the prosthetic to give it feeling?

Let's take a more straightforward example of something entirely foreign, like a poison gland. Could this be grafted into a human body if it was understood how a similar gland functions in an animal? Or could said gland be extracted from said animal and grafted into a human's body? Could a vial of poison instead be grafted into the body, maybe held closed by a muscle sphincter to at least simulate the natural version?

Could the animal gland be repurposed to eject its poison into the bearer's body? All of this is course just for example, the point being whether the purpose and vector or an existing natural blueprint could be altered. You do believe me, right?

And could it be triggered remotely via Graft (or Empathy) once in place?

Could you graft a completely new but different gland on the model of the old one once you understand its function, say to synthesize a drug rather than a poison?

Otherwise, in how far can Graft directly influence body chemistry? I'd assume you would have to rebuild and rewire chemical producers and receptors to get what you need but maybe not. And how far down does our ability to manipulate go? Can you affect cells? DNA?

If not body chemistry how about neural pathways, again assuming an understanding of these is gained? Say, by someone who can use Graft to mess with a brain and Empathy to measure the result. I'd assume something crude like a lobotomy would be easily possible. But how about more nuanced manipulation. Maybe we don't want to sever the frontal lobe, just make it less effective by obstructing the relevant pathways in some form?

Assuming all this theorizing about blueprints is true, are Graft alterations permanent or does the body have an inclination to return to its natural state? This wouldn't hinder healing but grafted-on foreign objects might be rejected over time, alterations slowly break down... Which wouldn't be all bad cause impermanent solutions make for a great business model.

Speaking of which and on a lighter note, I'm curious in how far Graft is able to easily affect cosmetic changes to a body. I'd assume ironing the wrinkles out of an older person's face could be done with ease. But what if I want to make someone taller? Do I have to stretch the existing bones and muscles, thereby making them thinner or can I induce growth within limits of time and mass?

Can Graft change things like pigmentation (of skin and hair)? To provide another example, could a human be grafted to look like an Eidisi or vice versa without requiring, say, the target form's skin to be grafted on?

And I think that's about all I got.
Cassian Gawyne
Approved Character

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Bastard
Renown: -10
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Hart » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:41 pm

For jamming in Attunement, how extensive is the jam? (Strawberry and raspberry? What about blueberry? I'm sorry I had to.) I think I read this correctly, but jamming affects one spark at a time, right? So if a person was a mage of multiple disciplines and had multiple sparks, jamming would only affect one of their sparks-- is that correct? Similarly, if a person was both a mage and marked, would you have to choose between jamming their spark or their divine connection? And if a person had multiple marks, would jamming them affect only one of their divine connections?

Also for Attunement, are moving places like ships and caravans considered locations or objects?

And another random question: Would a clandestine group be able to recognize other members of the group through the use of Attunement without having to use, say, a visual indicator or a codeword?

Speaking of-- would it be possible to use Static to scramble only part of your own frequency, leaving certain chords or notes untouched (basically allowing an Attuner to hide only specific things about their person)? Or is it an all or nothing sort of deal?

Along the same lines, could you use Mimic to mimic only part of another person or thing's frequency, or is that also an all or nothing sort of deal?

Btw thank you all so much for making this!
Hart
Approved Character

Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +37
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medals: 4
Painting With Words (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (1) Event Medal (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Alistair » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:52 am

Hello, I had a question. I believe this rule:

"15. Once Revealed, you cannot be initiated into new magics nor attain the next tier of skill level of any current magic held."

Is new -- I was wondering if, since Kieran (Alistair) has already revealed before this rule was introduced, there was anything that could be done there? I was mostly just holding out, waiting for a magic I liked to come out (also the reason I ditched Abro). If not, is there any way I could hold back the revelation for a while longer? I realize it was supposed to finish occurring at some point this arc, but I was unable to post for several months, so... I would like some extended time if I could. Is this possible?
Alistair
My imagination is what binds ether.

Race: Human
Profession: Doctor
Renown: +520
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Letters
Medals: 39
Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1) Painting With Words (1)
Shop Keeper (1) Ambassador (1) Supporter (1) Alpha Testing (1)
Beta Bot (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Living Legend (1)
Pioneer (1) Hoarder (1) First Love (1) Bow Chicka Wow Wow (1)
Right In The Feels (1) Married (1) First Kiss (1) Heartbreaker (1)
Heartbreak (1) Changed (1) Starting A Family (1) Murderer (1)
Shopaholic (1) Scandalous (1) Immortal Lover (1) Party Animal (1)
Keep it in the Family (1) Pen Pal (1) Mailman (1) Legend In Waiting (1)
Cheater (1) Survivor (1) Lol Worthy (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Tio Silver » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:20 am

Thank you Djinn, Plague, Maltruism and the rest of the mod team for the hard work on the new magics! :) They look really good! I think I'm going to try and learn Attunement sometime.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1. It mentions in Attunement's lore page that by reading an objects frequency you can learn if there's a spirit or soul attached to it. However is it possible to actually locate the presence of the spirit or soul itself? Could an Attuner track it as it moved around a room? Or do non-physical things not have their own frequencies?
  2. In the same vein how would Attunement interact with illusions, mainly those created by the Mirage magic or Aelig's mark Argua? Would they be able to see that the illusions have no frequency/the frequency of an illusion? And would a more skilled illusionist be able to make a fake frequency to fool an Attuner less skilled than them?
  3. Would a Yludih's natural illusion be able to fool Attuners of a low level into reading them as the race/creature they're disguised as?
  4. Beyond the same standard witchmark Attuners don't have an mutations until they overstep or Reveal right? Is this an enforced rule, or can we still get mutations when we reach a new skill level if we want one?
  5. I'm sure you saw this question coming, but why have you reduced the amount of sparks a mage can hold from four to three? I'm not complaining about it, as I'm sure you put some careful consideration into it and decided that this was for the best for everyone, but I would like to know the reasoning behind it if that's okay.
Tio Silver
Bad in all the Good Ways

Race: Yludih
Profession: Pirate Captain
Renown: +392
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters
Medals: 5
Story of the Month (1) Helper (1) Painting With Words (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Event Medal (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Plague » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:15 pm

1. Kiernan

Absolutely, I'll let you initiate...but I'm not sure why you'd want to. While I can relax the limit and give you a little more time IN ORDER to initiate, I can't allow you to progress past novice IN that magic...so I'm not sure it's something you'd actually want? Happy to discuss this a little more. Toss me a PM or reach out on messenger.

2. Tio

Ghosts and spirits have a sort of frequency, but as they are not usually fully in this world, it's not generally in the Attuner's purview. When manifested, you could probably track them...but when unmanifested, in the Beneath, you'd only know they are connected to it.

You have it. Less skilled illusionists would have a flaw in the Frequency which would reveal the nature of the thing beneath but powerful or very advanced Argua have illusions sophisticated enough that they put out a false Frequency. Of course this means that an Attuner AND a Miragist would make a formidable opponent

Yes and No. Remember that each thing has its own resonance. So if the Attuner first encountered a Yludih as a dog, they might think that was a curious resonance for a dog, but log it away. Then find out later that the dude they're talking to has almost the exact same resonance...which would throw them.

If you WANT a mutation for Attunement, so long as it follows mutation guidelines (Not just straight benefits), talk to the prophet. For Attunement, I would say that we would have to figure out why that Spark was so interested in persisting its identity rather than augmenting the identity it is fused into...but that could be quite a compelling story.

Of course. Be happy to elaborate. When examining the magics on their own, I try to balance them appropriately. Transmutation has WIDE application, but much of what it can do can be done better in specialized magics (although, those specialized magics would struggle to have the same versatility as Transmutation). What I didn't consider till way later was how the magics interact with each other in a mage. Some magics have weaknesses that other magics neatly cap. The reduce of Spark, from a game mechanic perspective (MB's to 2 and Mages to 3) was two pronged. First, I didn't want to see too many of the same kinds of mages, taking certain magics just to deal with the weaknesses of another. While I could have dropped it to two, I find the collaboration of three different sparks to be just few enough to invite some interesting melding and experimentation but not so many that it becomes almost overwhelming.

Mages are hyper specialized individuals. Magic gives them a hack to reality that gives them immeasurable ways to change their environment. Three, I felt, was a fair number to benefit from this without it being too overwhelming a palatte to choose from.

From a Lore perspective, the three sparks are simply a matter of soul resilience. Sparks are parasites, in a way, and parasites often compete for the same food source. Your questions reminds me that I should have written a blurb on Spark Rejection and Spark Cannibalism, what happens when you either naturally reject a Spark or when you have three slightly stronger sparks and they eat the newest spark (4) in order to maintain their ether food supply.

Look out for that addition and thanks for the reminder.
Plague
Developer - Rank 4
Developer - Rank 4

Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) Story of the Month (2) World Developer (1)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Ilinis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Posted these on Discord, and realize this is probably the better spot:

Am I correct in my understanding that Abrogation magic is like an infection that happens when someone is hit by two types of magic at once, and that's how their initiation works?

Also, how does Famula feel about Abrogation magic? Is it hated like all magic? Or different because it disrupts magics
Ilinis
Approved Character

Race: Eídisi
Renown: +21
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Medals: 5
Painting With Words (1) Pioneer (1) Murderer (1) Event Medal (2)

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Plague » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Famula hates magic for a reason outside what it does...but for what it is.

And it is not like an infection, the spark is introduced and then two magics are levied against the mage to 'activate' the initiation
Plague
Developer - Rank 4
Developer - Rank 4

Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Domain Magic Q&A

Postby Yrmellyn Cole » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:55 am

Hmmm ... I picked attunement at CS creation.

How should I do now, just add the initiation to the CS, or write it as a solo memory thread?
Yrmellyn Cole
Away for time being

Race: Naerikk
Profession: Mage Painter
Renown: +31
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 6
Story of the Month (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Dungeon Master (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Vhalar 716 (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Questions & Answers