Workshopping a character

Just looking for some thoughts on the PC I was thinking of making.

The Workshop provides a space for players to discuss and develop new character concepts with community input, repair and overlook characters who have met with circumstances that make their gameplay difficult by receiving feedback from fellow players, or honor and wrap up the story lines of characters who have met their ends and resolve the loose ends left behind by their untimely departure from the game.

Workshopping a character

Postby Maeloc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 pm

I've been thinking a lot about what sort of character I'd like to create. Here's a kind of outline of what I had in mind.

*Maeloc's father was a Eidisi/Avriel halfbreed. Outcast, embittered and all that. Maeloc's mother was a full-blooded Eidisi who either abandoned her family or died in childbirth. That last will be ambiguous IC-- Maeloc's father refused to speak very much about her.

(Are 3/4 Eidisi even a thing? Would that be considered Eidisi, or should I mark it Mixed Race? Basically I'd like Maeloc to be have mixed ancestery that's close enough for him to have some minor Avriel characteristics, yet distant enough that he can rave about the absurdity of having that held against him, because to his mind he is full-blooded Eidisi.)

*Maeloc's father was a world traveler and a wizard type. He fell into debt with some bad people and ended up enslaved with his son far from home in distant Augiery when Maeloc was very young. Their mistress was basically a Naerrik gangster who had Maeloc's father do magic research for her and occasionally go on secret "missions," leaving Maeloc alone.

*Maeloc's father was an alcoholic and an addict. He got sicker and sicker as his life went on. In his final arcs of life, Maeloc's duties mostly involved just taking care of his father so that he could continue to be useful to their mistress. In doing so, Maeloc grew increasingly isolated even from his fellow slaves.

*On the night Maeloc's father died, the man descended into a delirium and revealed he was an Aberrant. He'd spend the last arcs of his life secretly helping his mistress murder her enemies with his powers, for the promise of protection for his son and eventual freedom for them both. He initiates Maeloc on his deathbed. Maeloc survives, but his father doesn't live through the night.

*Maeloc uses his newfound Aberration magic to help him murder his mistress and escape into the wilderness. Many more arcs pass, with Maeloc suffering from severe depression and just living like an animal, using a cave as his lair and preying on travelers for supplies and for flaying. In his continued isolation, he begins to relate to his Harvester as a(n admittedly dangerous) friend). Maybe his Harvester has more personality than most of its kind, or maybe Maeloc is losing touch with reality. Probably both.

*One day Maeloc hunts down a traveller who turns out to be an escaped slave from Augiery. The man (or woman? Are there female slaves in Augiery, too?) begs him for mercy, and Maeloc ends up sparing the slave and preying on the slave's hunter instead. For the first time in many arcs, Maeloc feels something besides his addiction for flayed ether. He decides to return to (at least the borders of) society and spend his time preying on slavers and other "parasites," in the hope that this will help him feel that his life has meaning again.

And that's it. Maeloc would start out living mostly as a hermit in the wilderness, but would also venture into the cities to hunt or trade. I have vague plans about him eventually coming to hate the Immortals and maybe form a bizarre cult that worships his own Harvester instead. :lol:

For now I'm sticking this in the workshop, though, because I'm not sure if I've understood Idalos well enough that my idea is possible or makes sense here. Any advice would be appreciated. :)
Maeloc

Race: Eídisi
Renown: 0

Workshopping a character

Postby Pegasus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Heya!

So, first things first, I really like this concept. To answer some of your questions:

1. No, I believe there are no female Naerrik slaves in Augiary.
2. In terms of how much of a personality his Harvester has - I'd suggest dropping Plague a PM - he is the prophet with the overview of magic on ST, and will be able to give you a clear response there.
3. There are quite a few wilderness type pcs, which could be both fun and interesting.

I really like your concept, really like the idea - I'd love to see the CS!! When doing that, in the "History" bit, make sure that you explain / describe the initiation fully, as that is important for a pc starting with magic.

Welcome to ST! Sorry I can't be more constructive than that, I really like the idea :P
Pegasus
Ignoble steed
Storyteller - Rank 3

Race: Prophet
Profession: Telling Stories!
Renown: -665
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medals: 23
Contributor of the Month (1) Guest on Live Chat! (1) Story of the Month (1) World Developer (1)
Artíst (1) Dungeon Master (1) Mentor (1) Ambassador (1)
Supporter (1) Review Master (1) One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (1)
Puppet Master (1) Lol Worthy (1) Storyteller (1) Holy Tax Accountant (1)
Keyboard Monkey (1) King Kong (1) Vhalar 716 (1) Idalos Awards 2016 (1)
Winner Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1) Crush The Reviews! 15+ (1)

Workshopping a character

Postby Maeloc » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:38 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Pegasus, and for looking my ideas over. I'll be sure to drop Plague a line with my Harvester questions.
Maeloc

Workshopping a character

Postby Niv » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:40 pm

hates immortals you say, lives in the wilderness you say, murders slavers you say! You should come to Etzos :)
Niv
Lemon Tree Freeloader

Race: Yludih
Profession: Tiny Sage
Renown: +101
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Medals: 17
Reviewer's Choice (1) Helper (1) Peer Reviewer (1) Artíst (1)
Painting With Words (1) Vlogger Extraordinaire (1) Guild Master (1) Beta Bot (1)
One Arc Later... (1) Pioneer (2) ...ow. (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Idalos Awards 2016 (1) Holiday Event 2016 (1) Crush The Reviews! 717 (1) Event Medal (1)

Workshopping a character

Postby Maeloc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 pm

Hah, I was reading about Etzos when I was taking another look at the cities.

Who knows? Maeloc might very well end up there eventually. :)
Maeloc

Return to The Character Workshop