• Closed • Hard heads and Harder Helmets

With the escalation of hostilities between Etzos and Rhakros, a series of small walled towns is being established as a network of early warnings and defenses against Rhakros' reprisals. Only the very bravest and most formidable of characters should risk themselves on the Witches' Wilds frontier.

Moderator: Maltruism

• Closed • Hard heads and Harder Helmets

Postby Sarafaynha » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 pm

33rd of Vhalar 717

Another day another set of chores, rolling his shoulders Jeryn looked at the pile of coal he’d already amassed. It was higher on his list of things he hated doing but no coal no forge, no forge, no job, so it wasn’t like he had much in the way of choice. Wiping his now sooty brow he let out a long breath looking outside through the coal shed’s dingy window. It was hardly day there were still stars peeking out from behind dawn's first rays. A smith’s day had to start early, and often ended late though he was a creature of habit so that much at least did not bother him.

Leaving the shed he eyed the forge, the master had yet to wake and other than him it was a couple of apprentices also milling about rubbing the sleep from their eyes. He was a bit older than the younger of the apprentices his time as a fledgling smith nearly over as he gained experience in his craft. Cracking his back he had the small leisure of this day being one of his so called “off days” after he finished his chores he was free from the forge for the day. Given some time to waste on drinking or whatever it was today’s youth’s did, verbatim his master who couldn’t be old enough to talk like such a cranky old man.

Suddenly, a deep shout broke the silence of the outdoor working area, “HEY!” It was none other than Gangui, one of Jeryn’s erstwhile clients. He was standing on the other side of the four-foot stone wall that divided the forge from the streets. The armored mercenary slung himself over the wall in a manner that was agile for one so incredibly armored. He pushed the other apprentices aside, without regard for their sacred work space.

Gangui slammed his finned, steel helm on the table, right next to Jeryn, “Would you look at this?” Anger in his voice, pointing at the dent in his helm, “Fucking morning star, have these Sunnyslope thugs any grace?”

Jeryn wondered if the man would eventually build himself up to an intensity where his heart just exploded in his chest unable to take the sheer volume of whatever it was contained in the mercenary. He’d seen plenty a crass sailor in his day but this man didn’t even need to be liquored to be an irritant. Steeling his face he put on a thin smile. “Aye, and a fine mornin ta you as well Gangui, what can I do fer ya this early in the morn?”

“Are you a fucking idiot?” Gangui looked at Jeryn, then the dent on his helm, then back at Jeryn.

“Ay, I’ve been told as much a few times now, I take it ya want that buffed out then?” Containing his irritation the way he did deserved a medal he decided but work was work and as long as he reminded himself as much he could handle the man. The silly moustache wiggled as Gangui exhaled. Apparently, the man wasn’t done insulting him yet.
Sarafaynha
Approved Character

Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Blacksmith
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes

Hard heads and Harder Helmets

Postby Gangui » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Vhalar 33, 717
"Speech"

“Buff out?” Gangui drew a gauntleted hand to his face, “Would you look at it? The dents blocking my line of sight. I thought you said you were an apprentice?”

Apprentices were supposed to anticipate what was supposed to happen next. At least that is what Gangui’s father had taught him way back in the days that they dug for metal in Sirothelle’s wild lands. Those were tough days searching for adamantium, but it had made the warrior a stronger man. He wandered if Jeryn was one of the slower members of the stout crew of workers.

He shoved the steel helm into the novice’s hand, “What do you think?”

Turing it in his hands looking at the inside and outside of the helmet before exhaling an appreciative whistle at the damage. “Ay, I can fix this, but I’ll be damned if I ain’t curious what ya had ta do to earn such a knock”

“Sunnyslope thugs,” Gangui said. Late into the night during one of Turkey Company’s outings investigating for the Black Guard, the crew was jumped. Beguiled at the suddenness of the attack, the thugs got away before they could be slain for their misdeeds.

“Looking at the depth of the damage I can beat it out, but I’m thinkin I’m gonna need ta do a little welding and sanding, It’d be bad if it got left lookin like it had a weak spot. The damage is indeed repairable” Setting the helmet down, Jeryn looked back at Gangui. “So whaddya want done, just a fix or the whole nine yards?”

“Make it good as new,” Gangui answered quickly, “But I need it back very soon--”

There was a sound coming from the north, from the town center. The tolling of bells and that only meant one thing: they were calling the general public to the town square to make an announcement.

“Oi! The bells be a ringing, let’s go,” Gangui back handed Jeryn’s chest gently, a unconscious gesture he had picked up, “The news of the Landing is worth more than any issue of the ‘mpressions,”

Walking over to the wall with helm in hand, he prepared to leap over it, when he realized that the blacksmith wasn’t following. He turned around towards Jeryn again, “You coming? It’ll only take a minute,”

Boxcode credit: Yolande
Gangui
Etzori Patriot

Profession: Faction Leader
Renown: +160
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Medals: 9
Peer Reviewer (1) Painting With Words (1) Guild Master (1) One Arc Later... (1)
First Kiss (1) Murderer (1) Scandalous (1) Lol Worthy (1)
Crush The Reviews! 717 (1)

Hard heads and Harder Helmets

Postby Sarafaynha » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:19 am

Shaking his head at the mercenary Jeryn smiled ruefully to himself, as much as he felt he ought to he couldn’t bring himself the man, for all his crudeness he had a certain arrogant charisma about him that made it easy to forgive his antics.
“Ay, I’ll be along, It ain’t to often I give the news a listen, hopefully it’ll be good news fer’ once.”

Following after the man, albeit through the gate and not over the fence like a barbarian. He wasn’t particularly interested in the news so long as it didn’t affect him he didn’t even know how long he’d e at the landing, it was however, more interesting than his morning chores, which he had already nearly wrapped up already. Following the man to the so called news he wondered what the so called impressions were that couldn’t hold a candle to the news they were about to get. It was mildly irritating on occasion to be out of the loop but he so often immersed himself in his work that he shut the goings on of the world out, his disinterest in the affairs of the locals could however bite him in the ass if he wasn’t careful.

“any idea what they’ll be on about?”

Shoving his hands into his pockets he trudged his way to the belltower listening to the melancholic chime of the lonesome tower of the coastal town, a summons to its seafaring folk, and now him. For a brief moment he almost envied the casual lives of the people who could care about all the minor details of life in a small town like this. The glinting bells did however perk his interest in one way, though he wouldn’t admit it outwardly, he wondered what metals were used in their casting, perhaps an investigation for another day.
Sarafaynha
Approved Character

Profession: Blacksmith
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes

Return to Outlying Cities