• Solo • The Ties that Bind Us

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Korva
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Fisherman/Woodworker
Renown: 90
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The Ties that Bind Us

17th of Cylus
*Speaking Rakahi
*Speaking Common

She’d almost killed him on that stupid horse.

It had been trials, and in his youth he hadn’t blamed her but clung to her comfort. Perhaps she was just as manipulative as her sisters used to tease but the Biqaj hadn’t been able to deny him that. Not with the blood everywhere. But keeping him on the ship was safer. Or at least put her at ease. One wrong move had destroyed an entire beast, what if he’d fallen without her?

What if, what if, what it.

Motherhood, of any kind it seemed, was rife with worries. Then she had brought Ashan in, they were still trying so hard to mesh, Ashan was anyway. Korva already knew the girl was hers, she’d known it when she’d carried the girl home. Known if even before, when the girl had conned her into help, so like herself at that age. But it had been solidified when she’d seen his bed. But maybe she should’ve asked Kes but, she hadn’t thought he would mind and so far he’d yet to voice any complaints. Later, she knew, she’d have to actually talk to them both and figure it out but she’d wait till they were in Almund or closer to the end of the next season. The face of the mer had flashed through her head. They wouldn’t need a discussion if she were not coming back.

The woman sighed, her thoughts too morose to simply wash away. “U’frek, ya enjoy testing me, don’t ya?”

She muttered, picking at the frozen water on the wood of the deck idly while her gaze dropped to the hatch where the two were sleeping. Softer still she stared out into the moonlit waters with an expression she refused to show the kids, unwrapping the candle from the shirt she’d had it hidden in.

“What am I gonna do with all this?” But the water gave no answer and she rolled her eyes with a rueful smile, “Yer a great listener U’frek but yer shit for advice.”

Out of the corner of her eye when she looked at the candle were flames, his face, his screams. There was no need to touch it when, ironically, the memory was burned into her retinas. And in the corners of her eyes, only when Ashan wasn’t there did she him, like flickering firelight.

“I don’t know what ya want me to do. I ain’t—ya did it to yerself—why in the name of U’frek do ya kids gotta go looking for trouble?” No matter how hypocritical the words were Korva couldn’t help them. They slipped out mournfully. Kes was just like the boy of fire, Ashan too, so ready to take on her brothers supposed murderers. There was no saving them from themselves and she supposed she wasn’t much better but that wasn’t the point. She was the adult, it was her job to protect them not the other way around but Kes was always wandering off, so ready to leave her behind sometimes but she couldn’t begrudge him. It was in their nature, whether he liked to travel with his weird land habits or not, he was a wanderer like any Biqaj. “Gotta get that boy a boat.”

The words drifted out to no one as she stood, pulling her clothes around her tighter wondering if it really was day or night as she tip toed off the ship.
**Borrowed this template from free to use
word count: 609
ન'ઊળઇ૯ ૧એ૪ઇ૮ ઔનઌઈઇ પઇ, પબ ઇબઇ૮ ૯રશ૧ મકઇ ૧એબ. --Korva
Korva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Re: The Ties that Bind Us

*Speaking Rakahi
*Speaking Common

No matter the time of day in Cylus people went out so rarely, preferring to keep indoors when they could. It was probably smarter than wandering in it as Korva had been doing as of the late but unless she was sailing she couldn’t sit still. And Ashan needed a few days of settling before the Biqaj would whisk her around Scalvoris. She hoped the girl would like a tour of the island, and it’d be good prep for heading out when the time came.

The woman sighed, glancing to the stars for guidance one land as easily as the guided her on water. Ashan would take awhile to warm up, clinging to Korva only because she’d helped, the idea of writing to her ma crossed her mind before it was vetoed. Her ma would haul her entire brood across the oceans and seas double time if it meant meeting grandkids, and she doubted her or Ashan was ready for that reunion. Kes she thought would take to it like he took to everything else, with a poise beyond his years that sometimes hurt to think of why he was that way.

Such thoughts were circular, poking new parts of her that hurt in a different ways than the old wounds. It bothered her to be sucked into them so easily but there was so much the Biqaj was confused about since landing in Scalvoris, things she hadn’t worried about in any other city but the idea of leaving them unfinished like her others was sour tasting. Almost as sour as the constant stream of thoughts that reminded her how ill fitted she was for this job of motherhood she wanted so badly.

But before that thought could seep in farther her nose smashed into a door, a curse leaving her lips sharply. A quick feel told her there was no blood, a break would probably hurt more but there was doubt it was going to bruise. Especially when the door opened revealing a startled face.

“M’surry.” Korva murmured in muffled Common before the woman waved her into the shop, lighting candles that had clearly been put out for the night.

“Last minute shopping?”

“Nah, tripped on rock.”

The woman let out a little sigh, “Cylus isn’t good for travel of any kind—don’t I know you?”

“Prolly.”
Korva said finally releasing her nose as the woman handed her a cloth, her features lighting up in recognition.

“I do! Your that one who ran through poor Lenas fence!”

“Nah, ain’t me, my sister.”

“Oh, sorry then.”
The woman inspected her closer, “You all look alike.”

“Aye, we get that.”
The Biqaj said with a smile as she handed the cool cloth back, taking in the shop again, noting it was full of bags and papers, “Ya a letter shop?”

“Oh, yes. We deliver during the day normally but—“
her voice drifted as she rifled through some papers, “your sister has a letter if you’ll give it to her. Saves my son the run to the docks.”

The parchment was tied with a small bag, the jingle of metal within. No doubt her ma trying to get her to wear some sort of trinkets again, like they did anything but get in the way. Giving her another cool cloth for her face, the woman let her out point her towards the Order but the Biqaj waited only till the door was shut before heading back to the docks to try and figure out what her ma wanted now.
word count: 607
Korva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

*Speaking Rakahi
*Speaking Common

The bracelets spilled to the deck without a care as her eyes skimmed for words she could recognize to piece together whatever her ma was saying this time around. The words visit struck her, eyes widened along a swell of happiness and trepidation that always accompanied her families visits. Though how her ma have figured she was in Scalvoris and not Viden surprised the Biqaj, last time she’d managed to slip away with nothing more than a passing boat greeting before her ma tracked her down. It was almost a game now but the next word pulled her mind in a whole new direction.

Safe.

Though she wasn’t fond of candles lately Korva light one quickly to see better than with the dock lanterns as she scrambled to pick up the trinkets. She wondered if she should get someone else to read it but her mind pieced together the other words happily. The bracelets would keep the wearers aware of the others safety, to some degree at least. Forgetting the rest of the letter entirely Korva slipped both on before she was near stomping to the hatch, unshackled relief coursing through her. A bit ironic considering both her wrists were now bound with bracelets she knew she wouldn’t be taking off till she took her final swim in the sea. The other two were digging into her palm but she hardly noticed as she slipped back on deck much louder than her exit.

“Get both yer asses up!” She yelled as she went below, reaching for Ashan first who was great at pretending she couldn’t hear the Biqaj shouting most mornings, “Gimme yer wrist.”

“I was sleeping.”

“And now yer not, give it ‘ere.”
With that she slipped it on, relieved it fit then pressed a quick kiss to the girls forehead, “Now get back to sleep and don’t be taking it off.”

“I have no idea what you’re saying.”

“Don’t take off. Ever. Ya hear?”

“Mm, can I sleep now?”

“Aye.”

Kes on the other hand didn’t stir at all and truthfully she wanted him awake when she gave it to him, Ashan didn’t have a choice. She would wear the bracelet one way or another, Kes she wouldn’t force but she hoped he’d take it all the same.
word count: 402
Alistair
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Korva

Knowledges
Caregiving: Knowing when you're overwhelmed
Caregiving: Bracelets to help keep kids safe
Deception: Giving false identities
Deception: Using family as accomplices
Detection: Knowing when someone recognizes you
Storytelling: Using family as plot devices

Loot: +2 Pairs of Kindred Bracelets
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A

Points 10

Comments: Oh my gosh! This thread was so adorable and serene and perfect in every way. I love the dialogue and dialect and the concise way in which you describe things; wonderful thread and here's your rewards!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=2&image_id=13883[/img][/center]
word count: 104
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”